Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 97 guests

Post #550121  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:34 am 

I will admit the full bbc report is more what I expected to see but the headline isn’t. The opening line in the full report is…

Darwin Nunez came off the bench to score one and create another as Liverpool were forced to twice battle back to salvage a point in a chaotic game at newly promoted Fulham

Using the words ‘salvage’, and ‘forced to…battle back’ is more of the narrative I’d expect

Post #550122  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:45 am 

Quite a few links with Moussa Diaby the Leverkusen right winger. The price would be very high at £60m.

Post #550123  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:21 am 

In a season that now allows for 5 substitutes and is said to favour clubs with large squads of quality I was slightly surprised that the starting 11 were kept intact until the 73rd minute. Even more so when we were being overrun quite a bit in the second half.

I found myself wondering if Arteta was comfortable with what he was seeing or simply didn’t trust the players on the bench.

As it happened Nketiah’s pace did help us out late on by closing off that defender with the long raking passes and he was also well involved in the second goal.

Post #550124  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:22 am 

Rich wrote:
Quite a few links with Moussa Diaby the Leverkusen right winger. The price would be very high at £60m.

Never seen him but is he mobile enough to play across the front so strengthening our limited options up front with only Jesus and Nketiah? As everyone knows, that’s how I think we’d have used Raphina had we got him as I don’t see the point in spending big on someone only capable of playing wide right when we have Saka in that position.

Post #550125  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:26 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
If we spend another 50 million quid on a winger without bringing in midfield reinforcements we are out of our mind. So we probably are going to do it aren't we.

I think there is something missing in the team and it is probably the midfield. We were incapable of grabbing back the initiative after a very good start. It happened last year at times and I am not convinced we have addressed it. I think we need another CF and a midfielder who is box to box. Some games we will not need them but I want to see us have options.

Totally agree Gaz. There is still something missing from this team.

We had a brilliant first 30 mins, scored and then completely lost control of the match for an hour.

It was a great result, as good as we might have reasonably expected, but we again saw that loss of control of a game that we saw so many times last season. On another day Palace might easily have come back to get a deserved draw or even a win.

I've been trying to put my finger on exactly why that is, was it our inability to stop Anderson's sensational passing which set up numerous dangerous attacks, was it that we lost control of the centre midfield area.

Whatever it was, for an hour we lost most of the 50-50s, Palace were quicker to the 2nd balls and when we did get possession we lacked composure and gifted it back to them.

I really think we do need another top quality player in central midfield, preferably someone with the physicality to dominate that area of the park.

It would be a shame if such a promising tranfer window was undermined by our inability to address that area of the pitch.

Post #550126  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:33 am 

long time gooner wrote:
In a season that now allows for 5 substitutes and is said to favour clubs with large squads of quality I was slightly surprised that the starting 11 were kept intact until the 73rd minute. Even more so when we were being overrun quite a bit in the second half.

I found myself wondering if Arteta was comfortable with what he was seeing or simply didn’t trust the players on the bench.

As it happened Nketiah’s pace did help us out late on by closing off that defender with the long raking passes and he was also well involved in the second goal.

Hi ltg,

I was thinking exactly the same. We had clearly lost control of the game so why not make some changes. I suggest maybe bringing Tierney on because Zinny was getting exposed a bit defensively, and maybe moving Zinny into midfield to make it a three in the centre, or even bringing on Lakonga to add some energy to the middle of the park.

I defintely would have tried to cut-off Anderson's passing with some sort of tactical tweak. It was obvious he was causing us all sorts of problems with his long, accurate passes.

I do think tactical subsitutions is not an area that Arteta excels at, at least not yet.

Post #550127  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:45 am 

socrates wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I think there is something missing in the team and it is probably the midfield. We were incapable of grabbing back the initiative after a very good start. It happened last year at times and I am not convinced we have addressed it. I think we need another CF and a midfielder who is box to box. Some games we will not need them but I want to see us have options.

Totally agree Gaz. There is still something missing from this team.

We had a brilliant first 30 mins, scored and then completely lost control of the match for an hour.

It was a great result, as good as we might have reasonably expected, but we again saw that loss of control of a game that we saw so many times last season. On another day Palace might easily have come back to get a deserved draw or even a win.

I've been trying to put my finger on exactly why that is, was it our inability to stop Anderson's sensational passing which set up numerous dangerous attacks, was it that we lost control of the centre midfield area.

Whatever it was, for an hour we lost most of the 50-50s, Palace were quicker to the 2nd balls and when we did get possession we lacked composure and gifted it back to them.

I really think we do need another top quality player in central midfield, preferably someone with the physicality to dominate that area of the park.

It would be a shame if such a promising tranfer window was undermined by our inability to address that area of the pitch.

I am unclear how we take back control in these matches but I was pretty twitchy as they continued to pour easily thru the midfield and we were unable to change to deal with it. Vierra is becoming a very good manager and I think we should not discount his tactics. Ødegaard was almost invisible and Partey had little influence. Look it was a win at a difficult place but they opened us up quite a few times. They will beat some good teams this season but it is never bad to have your weakness exposed but still win. It’s what we learn from the game that is worth gold.

Post #550128  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:42 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I agree there is something in midfield missing. But for me it’s a massive mentality thing. We get the lead and stop doing what got us the lead. The intensity drops and we drop deeper. It’s a protect what we have attitude rather than going for the jugular. Arteta sees it as you can see him talk about it in the Amazon doc.
I don’t think it’s a fitness thing of keeping the high press up for longer than 20 mins because it happens when we take the lead not at a particular minute of the game.
It’s about being brave and keeping the line high and probably playing a bit slower when we have the ball to keep possession rather than rushing it forward.
When we finally did that the one time in the second half we scored the killer goal, it was a 15 pass move for that goal.
I think it feels like we’re so reliant on Partey and Ødegaard to have good games to provide that structure. If either or both are off it we can struggle and need gk and defence to bail is out or hang on to the lead

It’s a simple problem we have 2 players in the middle in Partey and Ødegaard who are more than capable of having an off day. Then chuck in xhaka who rarely does but is extremely limited and can’t play on The half turn which is pretty essential for the modern midfielder and it’s not a good blend and sometimes it feels to me like our midfield is non existent at certain points in games. Can’t distribute it or play combination football. I’m not sure even signing Tielemans fixes this it might but it strikes me that we need a pacy and combative passer at the base of our midfield who can also win the ball back and challenge for everything. I think if we don’t add something to our midfield this season we will ultimately falter. If we had 60 million I wouldn’t spend it on a widemen that’s for sure.

Post #550129  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:55 am 

Saw the ‘duels won’ stat v Palace. 72 for us 53 for them. That’s what we need to be doing in every game. I know some people don’t look at stats but managers talk about winning duels, winning individual battles all over the pitch. Watch the game and you’ll have a good idea of we’re competing and then use the stats to confirm or deny what you saw.

Big improvement from our last few games v Palace

Post #550130  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:02 am 

Where does Saliba’s debut rank in the history of Arsenal’s great debutants? A lot is said about Vieira’s debut. Who else had great debuts? Wright scored on his. Gilberto Silva scored on his. I can think of some electrifying early performances from some players but maybe not on their first game. Saliba looks like a rolls Royce defender, just 21 as well

Post #550131  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:04 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
I agree there is something in midfield missing. But for me it’s a massive mentality thing. We get the lead and stop doing what got us the lead. The intensity drops and we drop deeper. It’s a protect what we have attitude rather than going for the jugular. Arteta sees it as you can see him talk about it in the Amazon doc.
I don’t think it’s a fitness thing of keeping the high press up for longer than 20 mins because it happens when we take the lead not at a particular minute of the game.
It’s about being brave and keeping the line high and probably playing a bit slower when we have the ball to keep possession rather than rushing it forward.
When we finally did that the one time in the second half we scored the killer goal, it was a 15 pass move for that goal.
I think it feels like we’re so reliant on Partey and Ødegaard to have good games to provide that structure. If either or both are off it we can struggle and need gk and defence to bail is out or hang on to the lead

It’s a simple problem we have 2 players in the middle in Partey and Ødegaard who are more than capable of having an off day. Then chuck in xhaka who rarely does but is extremely limited and can’t play on The half turn which is pretty essential for the modern midfielder and it’s not a good blend and sometimes it feels to me like our midfield is non existent at certain points in games. Can’t distribute it or play combination football. I’m not sure even signing Tielemans fixes this it might but it strikes me that we need a pacy and combative passer at the base of our midfield who can also win the ball back and challenge for everything. I think if we don’t add something to our midfield this season we will ultimately falter. If we had 60 million I wouldn’t spend it on a widemen that’s for sure.

It seems crazy not to get another first team quality CM, given the Partey and Xhaka issues.

Post #550132  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:20 am 

Rich wrote:
Saw the ‘duels won’ stat v Palace. 72 for us 53 for them. That’s what we need to be doing in every game. I know some people don’t look at stats but managers talk about winning duels, winning individual battles all over the pitch. Watch the game and you’ll have a good idea of we’re competing and then use the stats to confirm or deny what you saw.

Hi Rich,

I am surprised by that stat, it felt like for the last hour of the game Palace won every 50-50 and were first to most of the 2nd balls. Certainly they were well on top.

Does it say where those duels were won ie. what area of the pitch? Probably more worrying if they were a lot closer to our goal than theirs.

Post #550133  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:22 am 

Rich wrote:
Where does Saliba’s debut rank in the history of Arsenal’s great debutants? A lot is said about Vieira’s debut. Who else had great debuts? Wright scored on his. Gilberto Silva scored on his. I can think of some electrifying early performances from some players but maybe not on their first game. Saliba looks like a rolls Royce defender, just 21 as well

It was great debut but I think he will be more tested in some games this season. That's when we will know exactly what we have on our hands.

He looked composed, quick, read the game well, was physically dominant and passed assuredly. Not much more you can ask from a 21 year old.

He will face a range of challenges in the coming months depending on the team he is facing......pace, strength,skill, height, dark arts. Let's see how he handles all these and the inevitable mistakes he will make.

Post #550134  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:33 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
[q

I think a powerful dominant CM is the obvious missing link. Without one we will have more games like Palace where we lose control and then the widemen are starved of possession anyway. Martinell, for example, was excellent in the 1st half but barely had a kick in the 2nd.

Post #550135  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:41 am 

Rich wrote:

My order from late 1967 onwards is: (1) Liam Brady vs Birmingham in 1973, (2) Patrick Vieira vs Sheffield Wednesday in 1996, (3) William Saliba vs Crystal Palace in 2022.

It’s not impossible that I’ve forgotten one that should be third, but I’m pretty confident in saying the debuts of Brady and Vieira are comfortably ahead of everyone else.

Post #550136  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:55 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

I am surprised by that stat, it felt like for the last hour of the game Palace won every 50-50 and were first to most of the 2nd balls. Certainly they were well on top.

Does it say where those duels were won ie. what area of the pitch? Probably more worrying if they were a lot closer to our goal than theirs.

Afraid I don’t have any more detail on the stats. I don’t know what or how they count what a duel is.

For example a striker clearly over running the ball and a defender fairly comfortably sliding the ball out of play for a throw….does that count as a duel won? Don’t know. Whatever it is they should be counted the same for both teams so the relevance is probably looking at the difference between duels won between each team rather than the overall number.

Post #550137  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:56 am 

Also some links to Pedro Neto. Wolves are after Guedes a winger from Portugal I think which could mean Neto leaving. He’s an interesting player, had a long ACL injury last year I think though

Post #550138  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:07 am 

Rich wrote:
Also some links to Pedro Neto. Wolves are after Guedes a winger from Portugal I think which could mean Neto leaving. He’s an interesting player, had a long ACL injury last year I think though

Same question I asked about Diaby. Is he mobile enough to play across the front rather than being limited to the right wing? The only Wolves games I watch are when they play Arsenal, so I don’t know.

Post #550139  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:05 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Same question I asked about Diaby. Is he mobile enough to play across the front rather than being limited to the right wing? The only Wolves games I watch are when they play Arsenal, so I don’t know.

He's primarily a winger, plays both on the left and right. Has played centrally on occasion as well, but is more of a second striker. Not sure he'd play as a lone striker in our set-up, but I do think he's a terrific player. Wolves would want big money for him though.

Post #550140  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:24 am 

Decaf wrote:
It seems crazy not to get another first team quality CM, given the Partey and Xhaka issues.

Is it feasible that fans are perceiving problems in our midfield that Arteta doesn’t recognise or believe are there? I really don’t know. Maybe we’ll buy another deeper midfielder, albeit after not challenging Tottenham for Bissouma I remain unconvinced it’ll be Tielemans because if he’s been available all summer for £25m, I find it odd that we haven’t bought him yet.

Leaving it to the last day of the window to get a lower price will probably save as much money as serving PG Tips tea at board meetings instead of Earl Grey. Is running the risk of another club moving in before us worth saving a pittance for?

Darren (I believe) argued a while back that perhaps Arsenal were waiting to move players out before getting a midfielder? Well Guendouzi, Mavropanos, Tavares, Torreira and Leno have now gone, and there’s still no apparent action apart from showing interest in right wingers.

One point I will make is this. If the end of the window arrives and we haven’t signed a new deeper midfielder, it will surely be Arteta’s own decision. I genuinely reckon Edu targets players Arteta wants, rather than the situation when Emery wanted Zaha and Sanllehi ignored his wishes and recruited Pépé instead. That takes me back to my initial paragraph. Maybe Arteta simply disagrees with most supporters’ views on the need for a deeper midfielder?

Post #550141  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:25 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:

He's primarily a winger, plays both on the left and right. Has played centrally on occasion as well, but is more of a second striker. Not sure he'd play as a lone striker in our set-up, but I do think he's a terrific player. Wolves would want big money for him though.

Thanks Hazuki.

Post #550142  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:41 pm 

Rich wrote:

I was at the Dell for Ian wrights league debut. No other debut will ever come close. He was a *%^@*** tornado and scored a hat trick. It was like he thought he was only ever going to play for Arsenal once so wanted to make the most of it. He finished that season top goal scorer and honestly I can’t recall a Debut season like it. Then graham Taylor staggeringly decided not to take him to the euros which I think has to be up there with the stupidest decision by an England manager of all time.

Post #550143  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

I was at the Dell for Ian wrights league debut. No other debut will ever come close. He was a *%^@*** tornado and scored a hat trick. It was like he thought he was only ever going to play for Arsenal once so wanted to make the most of it. He finished that season top goal scorer and honestly I can’t recall a Debut season like it. Then graham Taylor staggeringly decided not to take him to the euros which I think has to be up there with the stupidest decision by an England manager of all time.

Ian Wright’s Arsenal debut was actually against Leicester in the League Cup. He scored one in that. The Southampton game you’re talking of was his first league game, not his competitive debut.

Post #550144  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:02 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Ian Wright’s Arsenal debut was actually against Leicester in the League Cup. He scored one in that. The Southampton game you’re talking of was his first league game, not his competitive debut.

That’s precisely what I said. League debut

Post #550145  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Yeah I know you did. But it wasn’t his Arsenal debut. It was his first league game.

Charlie Patino has played one League Cup game (in which he scored against Sunderland) and one FA Cup game (the defeat at Nottingham Forest). He hasn’t yet played a league game. But he has made his debut. In the League Cup against Sunderland.

Post #550146  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:18 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yeah I know you did. But it wasn’t his Arsenal debut. It was his first league game.

It was his league debut I was referring to. end of.

This post seems somewhat ironic considering your rambling to Rich yesterday and what Rich rightly pointed out in return

‘all due respect considering your regular and seemingly never ending tit-for-tat posts with Top Gun I’m not sure you’re the one to be lecturing others on issues that aren’t worth the time to write the post’

I’d say he pretty much nailed it.

Post #550147  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:27 pm 

Are green boots a new thing this season? Plenty on display so far this weekend.

When I started out in football at primary school I used to get the p*** taken out of me because my mum took great pride in polishing my boots till they were a parade ground standard of gleaming black. Everyone else had the traditional (as it was back then) matt dubbin. I dread to think of the reaction if I’d turned up in any of the modern offerings.

Post #550148  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:31 pm 

Nice goal by Pascal Gross in orange boots. :58big-emoticons:

Post #550149  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:33 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

This post seems somewhat ironic considering your rambling to Rich yesterday and what Rich rightly pointed out in return

‘all due respect considering your regular and seemingly never ending tit-for-tat posts with Top Gun I’m not sure you’re the one to be lecturing others on issues that aren’t worth the time to write the post’

I’m sure you must be aware the Arsenal handbook gives summaries of the players giving stuff like place of birth, date of joining, Arsenal debut and so on.

Ian Wright left in 1998 so the last handbook he was featured as a player in was the 1997/98 one. In it, it gives Ian Wright’s Arsenal debut as “v Leicester City (a) Coco Cola Cup, September 25 1991 (scored in a 1-1draw)”

That’s word for word what it says. When talking of Wright’s first league game, you were wrong to say “No other debut will ever come close.” Simply because it was not his Arsenal debut. If you’d said no other first league game will come close, that may well be fair unless we sign someone who scores four in his first game.

Post #550150  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:34 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I’m sure you must be aware the Arsenal handbook gives summaries of the players giving stuff like place of birth, date of joining, Arsenal debut and so on. L

Ian Wright left in 1998 so the last handbook he was featured as a player in was the 1997/98 one. In it, it gives Ian Wright’s Arsenal debut as “v Leicester City (a) Coco Cola Cup, September 25 1991 (scored in a 1-1draw)”

That’s word for word what it says. When talking of Wright’s first league game, you were wrong to say no other debut will come close because it was not his Arsenal debut. If you’d said no other first league game will come close, that may well be fair unless we sign someone who scores four in his first game.

Yep Rich nailed it.

Post #550151  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:37 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I’m sure you must be aware the Arsenal handbook gives summaries of the players giving stuff like place of birth, date of joining, Arsenal debut and so on. L

That’s word for word what it says. When talking of Wright’s first league game, you were wrong to say “No other debut will ever come close.” Simply because it was not his Arsenal debut. If you’d said no other first league game will come close, that may well be fair unless we sign someone who scores four in his first game.

By that reckoning it wasn’t Saliba’s debut. He had played for Arsenal in the pre-season games.

Post #550152  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:39 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Yep Rich nailed it.

I think I nailed it more by saying you want to have the last word. That Southampton game was NOT Ian Wright’s debut. It was his first league game. If you’d said that, it would have been fair unless we sign someone who scores four in his first game.

Post #550153  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:39 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Nice goal by Pascal Gross in orange boots. :58big-emoticons:

Oh yes. Repeat of the orange booted Gross.
:58big-emoticons:

Post #550154  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:44 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
By that reckoning it wasn’t Saliba’s debut. He had played for Arsenal in the pre-season games.

Competitive games are counted as official attendances. By that I mean the domestic league, Europe and domestic cups. Not things like the Emirates Cup and friendlies or testimonials. I think the Community Shield is also counted as competitive. So the Palace game was Saliba’s debut.

Post #550155  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:46 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I think Decaf is right but for god’s sake Rich it’s not an issue that deserves the time it took to write your posts on it. It wasn’t even a game involving Arsenal. Who cares?

Hi Bernard, I’m not losing sleep over it, I generally post things of interest and respond to people who respond to me, then I’ll post something else. I find all aspects of how the media treat different clubs interesting. And with all due respect considering your regular and seemingly never ending tit-for-tat posts with Top Gun I’m not sure you’re the one to be lecturing others on issues that aren’t worth the time to write the post.

My advice is to go full American on this and block like I have so you don’t have to read all the nonsense spouted. unfortunately if you are using a mobile device it can log you off sometimes then you are exposed to all manner of said nonsense once more! but at least it removes 80 percent of it.

Post #550156  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:51 pm 

Brighton 2-0 up at half time. Have to say I'm hugely impressed with Graham Potter. He's got such an averaged squad of players to work with, and this season they've lost two of their best, but he gets them to play such good football. They make the game look easy, it's all about hard work, movement and letting the ball do the job.

Post #550157  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:51 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
My advice is to go full American on this and block like I have so you don’t have to read all the nonsense spouted. unfortunately if you are using a mobile device it can log you off sometimes then you are exposed to all manner of said nonsense once more! but at least it removes 80 percent of it.

So you’ve blocked me, have you? I won’t miss you obsessively wanting the last word on any issue you discuss with me.

Post #550158  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:51 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

I was at the Dell for Ian wrights league debut. No other debut will ever come close.

Bernard, surely there was no need for TG to repeat the word 'league' in that second sentence. I think we all knew what he meant, because he'd literally written 'league debut' three words earlier.

Incidentally, Willian's debut for us at Fulham was pretty good.

Post #550159  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:55 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I was at the Dell for Ian wrights league debut. No other debut will ever come close.

Bernard, surely there was no need for TG to repeat the word 'league' in that second sentence. I think we all knew what he meant, because he'd literally written 'league debut' three words earlier.

Incidentally, Willian's debut for us at Fulham was pretty good.

It was his comment “No other debut will ever come close.” that made me. It wasn’t his debut. I thought it was fair and reasonable to point that out.

Post #550160  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:56 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Brighton 2-0 up at half time. Have to say I'm hugely impressed with Graham Potter. He's got such an averaged squad of players to work with, and this season they've lost two of their best, but he gets them to play such good football. They make the game look easy, it's all about hard work, movement and letting the ball do the job.

Got to laugh at Manchester United, as long as there’s not a great comeback by them.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13751, 13752, 13753, 13754, 13755, 13756, 13757 ... 14269  Next