Fixtures Saturday July 27 - Manchester United - Sofi Stadium - Friendly Match

Kick-Off

       Injuries                 Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 43 guests

 
Post #391081  Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 5:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 34410

Liverpool were 6th and 8th respectively in '15 and '16. Since then no worse than 4th except than 5th last season.

We weren't better than 5th from '17 to '22 including back to back 8th place finishes '20 and '21. A few youtube pundits, ironically Man Utd supporting ones were saying back when we got 5th that 'Arsenal look scary'. And how we are potentially going to be back up there challenging.

Man Utd fans were calling a couple of them secret Arsenal fans. They were being objective and unbiased. They cheered for Man Utd a week or so ago against us, even if it meant City would be champions.

For whatever reason, a lot of clubs don't want to see us challenging. I don't think they'd feel the same were it Newcastle or Chelsea or Villa.

I didn't expect us to win this season. I was also worried Liverpool would be back to their previous form and that happened for much of the season. Next season for the first time I am feeling confident about winning as it stands now. This may change depending on who we buy, sell, etc. Going from the rumors of who we may be buying, I'm excited. We have a pre season game in Philadelphia (hat tipped to Andy Green) against Liverpool which will be interesting. Depending on the FA cup final, we'll probably play City again in the CS.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391082  Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 6:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 26993

AmericanGooner wrote:
Liverpool were 6th and 8th respectively in '15 and '16. Since then no worse than 4th except than 5th last season.

We weren't better than 5th from '17 to '22 including back to back 8th place finishes '20 and '21. A few youtube pundits, ironically Man Utd supporting ones were saying back when we got 5th that 'Arsenal look scary'. And how we are potentially going to be back up there challenging.

Man Utd fans were calling a couple of them secret Arsenal fans. They were being objective and unbiased. They cheered for Man Utd a week or so ago against us, even if it meant City would be champions.

For whatever reason, a lot of clubs don't want to see us challenging. I don't think they'd feel the same were it Newcastle or Chelsea or Villa.

I didn't expect us to win this season. I was also worried Liverpool would be back to their previous form and that happened for much of the season. Next season for the first time I am feeling confident about winning as it stands now. This may change depending on who we buy, sell, etc. Going from the rumors of who we may be buying, I'm excited. We have a pre season game in Philadelphia (hat tipped to Andy Green) against Liverpool which will be interesting. Depending on the FA cup final, we'll probably play City again in the CS.

I think it’s simply down to insecurity over their own club. If City win it’s written off as cheating or that they always win and you can’t compete with them. If Arsenal win then you have to look at your own club and ask if Arsenal could do it from back to back 8th place finished then there was no reason why our club couldn’t do it


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391083  Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 8:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 26993

We earned 92m euros from the champions league this season. A WF exit in the Europa league earned 12m euros.

Maybe spurs fans need to hear this whilst they celebrate their club missing out on champions league. £1b stadium to finance, no European football at all last year, spent £250m in the summer, Ange getting fed up with the entire Spursy-ness that envelops the club. They’re not moving forward any time soon


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391084  Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 34410

Even when Mourinho was managing their glory years, I always thought we were the biggest club in London and the biggest 'southern' club. I'm not in London obviously but I do a fair bit of traveling internationally and the Chelsea growth was largely a generational thing , younger fans saw their rise first hand and wasn't around for our history. The other were new fans. Tons of American Chelsea fans. I have a good friend who is and he didn't get into football till maybe 2006, 2007.

Because of our history, I think we never really lost the biggest club in London label. And I think that's what really pisses of London fans of other clubs. They simply don't have our history or record. '98 to '04 stamped ourselves as biggest London club ad infinitum. And our new entry back to the top makes it now near impossible.

From what I have heard from a few northern fans over the years Arsenal represents southern arrogance. Chelsea, Tottenham don't really have the history to be like that but we do. The first big southern club and in the capital at that. We broke the northern club hegemony. And we haven't been 'forgiven' for that since. It was more than football, we represented London uppitiness looking at northerners as brutish, unrefined.

I have come to learn its more than football. Despite Manchester, Liverpool having built up to where they have great central areas, its still Arsenal, its still London.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391085  Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 10:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 18535

Season tickets now on the membership portal to renew. Done for another year. There were times when it was a resentful and frustrating payment to make. Not at the moment


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391086  Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 11:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 16575

Rich wrote:
Decaf wrote:
City's achievements are amazing. Their dominance is reminiscent of Lance Amstrong's domination of the Tour de France. Pure talent.

I find it odd how some feel that Pep’s genius and the genius of some of the players is almost the excuse for the cheating. It’s like they can’t work out that on the pitch Coty can be amazing and off the pitch they can cheat, and the off pitch stuff leads totally to the on pitch stuff. People say you have to give Pep and the players credit but I don’t.

Pep is a great coach and the same can be said about their players.

Manchester City as a club, however, are the footballing equivalent of Milli Vanilli.

We say at Arsenal, the club is bigger than the players and the coach. For City, the opposite is the case.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391087  Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 1:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 18535

TOP GUN wrote:
Season tickets now on the membership portal to renew. Done for another year. There were times when it was a resentful and frustrating payment to make. Not at the moment

Oh if you pay by a card manually rather than waiting for the auto renew you get an email saying your season ticket has been cancelled. Great eh. This is then followed by an email from fan services saying the earlier email was a mistake. Box office probably had about 30 thousand fans scrambling to call them this morning.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391088  Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 1:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 18535

England squad is out folks and guess what? It contains 4 defenders not fit to lace Ben Whites boots ! HOORAY

Oh look Rashford has been left out but Grealish and Maddison are in.

Can we get rid of the librarian now ?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391089  Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 6:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 pm
Posts: 5740

Pochettino has left Chelsea by mutual consent.

_________________
"If you do not believe you can do it then you have no chance at all"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391090  Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 7:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 26993

https://x.com/willbalsam/status/1792989 ... -j6VVZXEoA

Nwaneri for the Eng U17 just now


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391091  Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 7:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 26993

TOP GUN wrote:
England squad is out folks and guess what? It contains 4 defenders not fit to lace Ben Whites boots ! HOORAY

Oh look Rashford has been left out but Grealish and Maddison are in.

Can we get rid of the librarian now ?

To be fair leaving out Rashford and Henderson are great decisions and overdue. And there was surprisingly refreshing decisions by bringing in form players like Eze and Wharton from Palace.

The White situation has more to it than Southgate not necessarily rating White as a player, it’s maybe that he doesn’t rate him highly enough. He’d be in the squad if the argument with his assistant was solved.

I think the slightly ‘meh’ ness about the squad is simply the lack of depth in key positions, defence and central midfield, and left back!

But from the 33 I can’t see any glaring omissions that you’re left scratching your head why on earth they’re not in


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391092  Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 7:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 18535

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
England squad is out folks and guess what? It contains 4 defenders not fit to lace Ben Whites boots ! HOORAY

Oh look Rashford has been left out but Grealish and Maddison are in.

Can we get rid of the librarian now ?

To be fair leaving out Rashford and Henderson are great decisions and overdue. And there was surprisingly refreshing decisions by bringing in form players like Eze and Wharton from Palace.

The White situation has more to it than Southgate not necessarily rating White as a player, it’s maybe that he doesn’t rate him highly enough. He’d be in the squad if the argument with his assistant was solved.

I think the slightly ‘meh’ ness about the squad is simply the lack of depth in key positions, defence and central midfield, and left back!

But from the 33 I can’t see any glaring omissions that you’re left scratching your head why on earth they’re not in

I know he’s had an average season because of the united shitshow but Rashford has scored 17 goals for England. Surely a better option off the left than Grealish. Seems daft. Henderson yes I agree


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391093  Posted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 34410

Poch out...not a shock

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/arti ... ww8xw8nywo

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391094  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 8:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 34410

With the exception of la Liga, City would win every league at a canter. I got a bit caught up in our re-emergence and over expected at times. Too many Gooners, maybe those with long memories, are expecting Invincibles II. We are damn good team. Possibly top 5 in the world. We are the same enviable position as Liverpool a few years ago and that resulted in a back to back finals and one of them a win and an EPL trophy.

I am not saying or even dreaming that big but its not too difficult to see us no worse than 3rd for the foreseeable future and that is a lot in the richest league in the world. At any time, Man Utd, Chelsea can come good with Liverpool and if that happens at the same time, 3rd will be an accomplishment.

At the risk of being too optimistic I am excited about next season. I'm also very excited about the CL for the next few years. I can see a semi in there.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391095  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 8:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 26993

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
To be fair leaving out Rashford and Henderson are great decisions and overdue. And there was surprisingly refreshing decisions by bringing in form players like Eze and Wharton from Palace.

The White situation has more to it than Southgate not necessarily rating White as a player, it’s maybe that he doesn’t rate him highly enough. He’d be in the squad if the argument with his assistant was solved.

I think the slightly ‘meh’ ness about the squad is simply the lack of depth in key positions, defence and central midfield, and left back!

But from the 33 I can’t see any glaring omissions that you’re left scratching your head why on earth they’re not in

I know he’s had an average season because of the united shitshow but Rashford has scored 17 goals for England. Surely a better option off the left than Grealish. Seems daft. Henderson yes I agree

Southgate would probably argue he has plenty of on form options on the wings. I do agree that Grealish is maybe fortunate to be there - for me he's done nothing to justify his £100m fee but its brushed under the carpet because he's part of an all conquering City side of which there are easily 10-12 players who contribute more to every trophy they've won since he's been there.

If Southgate went by form in every position then I don't see how he can put Maguire in, he's been pretty wretched for a few years and often not even playing for Man U - but he has performed ok for England and we hardly ahve much depth in that position.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391096  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 8:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 26993

Arteta is the 5th longest serving manager in the entire 92 league clubs


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391097  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 8:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 26993

AmericanGooner wrote:

I heard they want a young(modern) progressive manager. It is amusing when clubs look at what Arteta has done and just think they hire a young rookie manager with good ideas and they can simply achieve the same


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391098  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 8:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 18535

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I know he’s had an average season because of the united shitshow but Rashford has scored 17 goals for England. Surely a better option off the left than Grealish. Seems daft. Henderson yes I agree

Southgate would probably argue he has plenty of on form options on the wings. I do agree that Grealish is maybe fortunate to be there - for me he's done nothing to justify his £100m fee but its brushed under the carpet because he's part of an all conquering City side of which there are easily 10-12 players who contribute more to every trophy they've won since he's been there.

If Southgate went by form in every position then I don't see how he can put Maguire in, he's been pretty wretched for a few years and often not even playing for Man U - but he has performed ok for England and we hardly ahve much depth in that position.

If it’s on form then Ivan Toney can’t be picked either. 4 goals all season and hasn’t scored since February.

I don’t think it’s a vast injustice but Man united are a basket case this season and Rashford has scored goals at major tournaments like world cups. Can you honestly say Ivan Toney or Maddison are more logical options I can’t.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391099  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 7431
Location: Townsville Australia

Warrior, moderators and Judith. Thank you very much for another season on this forum. I hope Judith believes that we try and honour Steve by not being too confrontational and keeping basically to our beloved team on the forum. There are often tense moments but people try and keep the peace: it is by far the best Arsenal forum out there. Thanks again.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391100  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 26993

Newcastle looking to sign Lloyd Kelly and Tosin Adarabioyo both on free transfers. This is FFP in action, no way would these two be Newcastle's first choice defenders to sign if they were free to abuse their limitless wealth


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391101  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 26993

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
Southgate would probably argue he has plenty of on form options on the wings. I do agree that Grealish is maybe fortunate to be there - for me he's done nothing to justify his £100m fee but its brushed under the carpet because he's part of an all conquering City side of which there are easily 10-12 players who contribute more to every trophy they've won since he's been there.

If Southgate went by form in every position then I don't see how he can put Maguire in, he's been pretty wretched for a few years and often not even playing for Man U - but he has performed ok for England and we hardly ahve much depth in that position.

If it’s on form then Ivan Toney can’t be picked either. 4 goals all season and hasn’t scored since February.

I don’t think it’s a vast injustice but Man united are a basket case this season and Rashford has scored goals at major tournaments like world cups. Can you honestly say Ivan Toney or Maddison are more logical options I can’t.

Agree, I would expect Toney and Maddison to be cut from the 33 man squad when its trimmed down to 26. In theory Rashford as a left-winger isn't directly competing with these two. He's got Saka, Foden, Palmer, Grealish, Gordon, Bowen all fighting for the wide positions. In a 26 man squad I think there is maybe only room for 5 players to play in the two wide positions. From the list above I think it will be Bowen who gets cut.
Saka + Palmer for RW
Grealish + Gordon for LW
Foden + Bellingham for No.10

The likely players to be cut for me would be: Trafford, Dunk, Quansah, Shaw (due to injury), Curtis Jones, Wharton, Bowen, Maddison, Toney - that's 9, so 2 of those will be on the plane


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391102  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:57 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:38 pm
Posts: 6515
Location: ɹǝpu∩uʍop

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Warrior, moderators and Judith. Thank you very much for another season on this forum. I hope Judith believes that we try and honour Steve by not being too confrontational and keeping basically to our beloved team on the forum. There are often tense moments but people try and keep the peace: it is by far the best Arsenal forum out there. Thanks again.

:58big-emoticons:


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391103  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 34410

warrior wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Warrior, moderators and Judith. Thank you very much for another season on this forum. I hope Judith believes that we try and honour Steve by not being too confrontational and keeping basically to our beloved team on the forum. There are often tense moments but people try and keep the peace: it is by far the best Arsenal forum out there. Thanks again.

:58big-emoticons:


Attachments:
kevinhart.jpg
kevinhart.jpg [ 18.99 KB | Viewed 4327 times ]

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)
 Profile  
 
 
Post #391104  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 3:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 8234

General Election called on 4th of July


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391105  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 4:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 18535

time to give our kids a better future. A gooner is required in number 10.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391106  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 5:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 34410

DHD wrote:
General Election called on 4th of July

In honor of your American friends? :1laughter:

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391107  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 5:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 18784

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Warrior, moderators and Judith. Thank you very much for another season on this forum. I hope Judith believes that we try and honour Steve by not being too confrontational and keeping basically to our beloved team on the forum. There are often tense moments but people try and keep the peace: it is by far the best Arsenal forum out there. Thanks again.
Seconded! Thank you for thanking.

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391108  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 5:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 18784

AmericanGooner wrote:
...I have come to learn its more than football. Despite Manchester, Liverpool having built up to where they have great central areas, its still Arsenal, its still London.
Worth recalling that, despite what the media would have us believe, English football existed before the Premier League was invented! There were great teams across the nation such as Preston, Villa, Sunderland, Newcastle, Wolves, Everton, Derby and Leeds.

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391109  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 6:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 18784

4th July is likely to be my last General Election vote as we are planning to move to Canada. Of all the votes none have ever felt as good as the first I cast for Labour back in 1970. We lost that one, but that team had some giants in it, the like of which Labour has rarely seen since. Over half a century on I am very dispirited by the lack of quality or inspiration before us from all parties. Clive Efford, my local MP, is that scarce thing - a Labour representative from a working-class background who has actually done a real job before politics. My cross will go against his name.

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391110  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 6:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 18784

So, did we miss Balogun this season?

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391111  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 6:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 26993

Saw this on Twitter
Arsenal have had a £20million bid rejected by Fenerbahce for 24-year-old Ferdi Kadioglu.

According to Turkish outlet Milliyet, The Gunners are expected to return with an improved offer of £20million plus £5million in bonuses, totaling £25million.

Kadioglu, under contract with Fenerbahce until 2026, is keen on the move.

Appearances by position so far in his career:
Left back - 65 games played
Attacking midfield - 56 games played
Right winger - 44 games played
Right back - 37 games played
Left winger - 23 games played
Left midfield - 19 games played
Right midfield - 19 games played
Centre midfield - 15 games played
Striker - 1 game played

That’s what you call versatility!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391112  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 6:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 26993

Ødegaard absolutely miles ahead of everyone on this stat.


Attachments:

 Profile  
 
 
Post #391113  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 6:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:36 pm
Posts: 3801

Rich wrote:
Saw this on Twitter
Arsenal have had a £20million bid rejected by Fenerbahce for 24-year-old Ferdi Kadioglu.

According to Turkish outlet Milliyet, The Gunners are expected to return with an improved offer of £20million plus £5million in bonuses, totaling £25million.

Kadioglu, under contract with Fenerbahce until 2026, is keen on the move.

Appearances by position so far in his career:
Left back - 65 games played
Attacking midfield - 56 games played
Right winger - 44 games played
Right back - 37 games played
Left winger - 23 games played
Left midfield - 19 games played
Right midfield - 19 games played
Centre midfield - 15 games played
Striker - 1 game played

That’s what you call versatility!


So no cover in goal then :20hospitals:


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391114  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:36 pm
Posts: 3801

So Kolasinac has just won the Europa League with Atalanta


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391115  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 7431
Location: Townsville Australia

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:
Saw this on Twitter
Arsenal have had a £20million bid rejected by Fenerbahce for 24-year-old Ferdi Kadioglu.

According to Turkish outlet Milliyet, The Gunners are expected to return with an improved offer of £20million plus £5million in bonuses, totaling £25million.

Kadioglu, under contract with Fenerbahce until 2026, is keen on the move.

Appearances by position so far in his career:
Left back - 65 games played
Attacking midfield - 56 games played
Right winger - 44 games played
Right back - 37 games played
Left winger - 23 games played
Left midfield - 19 games played
Right midfield - 19 games played
Centre midfield - 15 games played
Striker - 1 game played

That’s what you call versatility!


So no cover in goal then :20hospitals:

Saka can play there as well. It will mean we play it out from the back easier.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391116  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 7431
Location: Townsville Australia

I am going to try and talk football. I would prefer not to hear about the British election. England going out of the Euros at group stage would be a good topic but I fear they may go all the way.

There is one tactic that I would like to see Arteta try. It was something from my playing days. Swap the left winger and right winger after about 15-20 minutes. You would be surprised how confused it makes the markers. Suddenly someone who has been given every instruction on how to play Saka is faced with Martenelli and vica versa. You can swap back whenever you want. In my playing days I was RW and pretty ordinary player but our LW was the best player and jeez it made a difference.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391117  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 9:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 34410

Leverkusen battered in the Europa cup final. Their first loss of the season. Amazing season. From the start of the season till today, May 23rd, no losses. Its mind boggling. I think they have the German cup final next. Credit to Atalanta they have been on a tear since beating Liverpool.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391118  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 18535

Gaz from Oz wrote:

There is one tactic that I would like to see Arteta try. It was something from my playing days. Swap the left winger and right winger after about 15-20 minutes. You would be surprised how confused it makes the markers. Suddenly someone who has been given every instruction on how to play Saka is faced with Martenelli and vica versa. You can swap back whenever you want. .


Our system doesn’t work like that. Our wingers are both inverted which requires them being able to lay the ball off to either 8 inside with their strongest foot. Swap the wingers and it involves a harder pass that’s less slick with the weaker foot that’s easier to get wrong. Everything is thought out with Arteta. Supreme control. I recall an interview with a defender I think it might have been Holding who said when the full back receives the ball from a keeper he has only 3 passes he’s allowed to play by the manager. It’s not like a kick about where the players have freedom of choice to roam everything is choreographed and controlled.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391119  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 10:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 7431
Location: Townsville Australia

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

There is one tactic that I would like to see Arteta try. It was something from my playing days. Swap the left winger and right winger after about 15-20 minutes. You would be surprised how confused it makes the markers. Suddenly someone who has been given every instruction on how to play Saka is faced with Martenelli and vica versa. You can swap back whenever you want. .


Our system doesn’t work like that. Our wingers are both inverted which requires them being able to lay the ball off to either 8 inside with their strongest foot. Swap the wingers and it involves a harder pass that’s less slick with the weaker foot that’s easier to get wrong. Everything is thought out with Arteta. Supreme control. I recall an interview with a defender I think it might have been Holding who said when the full back receives the ball from a keeper he has only 3 passes he’s allowed to play by the manager. It’s not like a kick about where the players have freedom of choice to roam everything is choreographed and controlled.

But that strict regime is also the problem. It is too easy for others to identify this and try and control the system. For me this was highlighted in the European games. The fact we failed to beat Porto in normal time in either game nor Bayern in both games was because they knew what to expect and played to nullify us and create themselves. After all both Porto and Bayern finished third in their respective leagues. They weren’t really that good.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391120  Posted: Wed May 22, 2024 11:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 989

old man of hoy wrote:
4th July is likely to be my last General Election vote as we are planning to move to Canada. Of all the votes none have ever felt as good as the first I cast for Labour back in 1970. We lost that one, but that team had some giants in it, the like of which Labour has rarely seen since. Over half a century on I am very dispirited by the lack of quality or inspiration before us from all parties. Clive Efford, my local MP, is that scarce thing - a Labour representative from a working-class background who has actually done a real job before politics. My cross will go against his name.


Wish you well OMOH in your transatlantic venture……you are one of the posters I take the time to read….you,DHD,TG and others (Mee and Bernard bless their hearts)have a perspective about our beloved team that comes with supporting them for decades …
Curious about where in Canada your next adventure awaits…Mrs Andy is keen for us to do the Trans Canadian rail trip Vancouver to Toronto so that’s on my bucket list …….i hope you keep posting…Bon Chance Old Man.


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 391540 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9775, 9776, 9777, 9778, 9779, 9780, 9781 ... 9789  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 43 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018