Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 88 guests

Post #529641  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:20 am 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
He’s a home bird, and recently made quite a large investment near Cobham.

That’s interesting. Chelsea’s training ground is in Cobham, I believe.

Post #529642  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:34 am 

So what you guys are saying is that Kane is a lazy sod?

Post #529643  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:45 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I may be accused of being a pessimist but I'd rather use the term 'realist'. I am not at all confident about us winning at Selhurst Park. My guess is we'll get a draw. I hope we win, even though I have a soft spot for Palace.

Fair enough, you're losing sleep over the Palace fixture, but it's fear of losing to Brighton on Sunday that's stopping me from focusing on anything else at all in my life.

Post #529644  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:03 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Lots of stories in the media about Bertrand and a number of other free transfers. We should not be dreaming of any player who is over 25. Any replacements should be young and be pushing to actually replace the person currently in the position. Even if they are a couple of seasons away from being the number 1, competition will keep everyone one on their toes. If they develop well they will either replace the encumbent or be sold for a good profit.

I repeat my concerns that Arteta has no history to demonstrate he has an eye of selecting good players. In the midfield we need only midfielders who can play a position and not be forcing a right side midfielder to play central or Partey to play a role he is not familiar with. I am hoping most of the stories are just fluff.

If there is a 29 year old with a skillet to get us into the top 4 then we should buy him.

Post #529645  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:10 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
The first Cup Final I vividly remember watching was Villa beating United on a black and white TV set!

As I'm sure you recall, OMOH, the main controversy of that game was McParland's 'shoulder charge' on the United keeper Ray Wood. Watching it these days, it is incredible not only for the fact that it was (arguably?) a legal challenge, but that Kenneth Wolstenholme is extremely disappointed in the United fans for their appalling lack of sportsmanship in booing the ref as Wood is eventually carried off. How dare they!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuL515DPIJ4&t=409s
And they allowed the manager Matt Busby on to the pitch to check on his player!

Post #529646  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:17 am 

Gunfire wrote:
If there is a 29 year old with a skillet to get us into the top 4 then we should buy him.
Pan Ximing from the Chinese League might fit the bill?

Post #529647  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:40 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
As I'm sure you recall, OMOH, the main controversy of that game was McParland's 'shoulder charge' on the United keeper Ray Wood. Watching it these days, it is incredible not only for the fact that it was (arguably?) a legal challenge, but that Kenneth Wolstenholme is extremely disappointed in the United fans for their appalling lack of sportsmanship in booing the ref as Wood is eventually carried off. How dare they!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuL515DPIJ4&t=409s
And they allowed the manager Matt Busby on to the pitch to check on his player!

Rightly so! And that young Duncan Edwards looked quite good. RIP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuL515DPIJ4&t=2555s

Post #529648  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:24 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Lots of stories in the media about Bertrand and a number of other free transfers. We should not be dreaming of any player who is over 25. Any replacements should be young and be pushing to actually replace the person currently in the position. Even if they are a couple of seasons away from being the number 1, competition will keep everyone one on their toes. If they develop well they will either replace the encumbent or be sold for a good profit.

I repeat my concerns that Arteta has no history to demonstrate he has an eye of selecting good players. In the midfield we need only midfielders who can play a position and not be forcing a right side midfielder to play central or Partey to play a role he is not familiar with. I am hoping most of the stories are just fluff.

Indeed.
I think Arsenal have a very difficult balancing act with the ins/outs this summer. There is so much to consider, who can we move on and for what price?
Do we need to move players on who we might want to stay simply because there is an offer on the table?
How do we ensure we don't have too many non-home grown players?
How do we ensure we're sufficiently covered in the squad when the African Cup of Nations comes round in January?
What positions do we decide a cheaper player will do as we push more significant funds to other positions?
If we are looking at cheaper players is that very young or very old? How do we approach contracts with potential free transfers?

It is a massive, massive job. I think a lot of fans will expect us to make the jump from 8th to 4th next season, whilst also bedding in new players, Saliba will be the new Van Dijk, Aubameyang will get his mojo back etc etc. Right now it is hard to see beyond 6th place next year - maybe 5th if Spurs implode post-Kane. Realistically we're more likely to be fighting off Everton, Villa, Leeds etc for 6th place than pushing those at the top for a top 4 place.

Post #529649  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:16 pm 

To me Bertrand looks like a decent squad signing. Pretty good player, knows the league, homegrown and is a free agent. If he's signed it'll be as a backup to Tierney, and he won't cost a fortune.

Post #529650  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:31 pm 

Rich wrote:
Realistically we're more likely to be fighting off Everton, Villa, Leeds etc for 6th place than pushing those at the top for a top 4 place.

Hi Rich, we're currently nine points from fourth - a minuscule margin over the course of a 38-game campaign. Yes, we've been terrible for a lot of the season, but why shouldn't we get a handful of points more in 2021/22, rather than less? (I can't help thinking I'm arguing a point you've been making for most of the season!) This is a statistical outlier, but I love the fact that, comparing 2014/15 with 2015/16, Leicester picked up 65 points on Chelsea. So ... 10 or 20 is surely doable.

Post #529651  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 3:22 pm 

Would like to see Liverpool edge out Chelsea for 4th. Hoping West Ham beat out the scum in the table. Fingers crossed all around.

Post #529652  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:03 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
To me Bertrand looks like a decent squad signing. Pretty good player, knows the league, homegrown and is a free agent. If he's signed it'll be as a backup to Tierney, and he won't cost a fortune.

Then just allow Sead K to see out his next season.

Post #529653  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:20 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Would like to see Liverpool edge out Chelsea for 4th. Hoping West Ham beat out the scum in the table. Fingers crossed all around.

Chelsea playing Leicester tonight. Leicester could seal a CL place with a win.

Post #529654  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:23 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I may be accused of being a pessimist but I'd rather use the term 'realist'. I am not at all confident about us winning at Selhurst Park. My guess is we'll get a draw. I hope we win, even though I have a soft spot for Palace. They might have been my club instead of Arsenal (along with another club). I actually though Palace were a 'bigger' club than Arsenal because I had heard of them before I got into football, but have never heard of The Arsenal.

No worries. Hodgson won't be at CP next season.

Post #529655  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:00 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Rich wrote:
Realistically we're more likely to be fighting off Everton, Villa, Leeds etc for 6th place than pushing those at the top for a top 4 place.

Hi Rich, we're currently nine points from fourth - a minuscule margin over the course of a 38-game campaign. Yes, we've been terrible for a lot of the season, but why shouldn't we get a handful of points more in 2021/22, rather than less? (I can't help thinking I'm arguing a point you've been making for most of the season!) This is a statistical outlier, but I love the fact that, comparing 2014/15 with 2015/16, Leicester picked up 65 points on Chelsea. So ... 10 or 20 is surely doable.

I do think the margins are small, but I wouldn't expect Liverpool to be as poor again, I can't see us finishing above City, Man U, Chelsea or Liverpool. So finishing top 4 is very difficult sort even if we improve a lot on this season.
The margins are tight but every team from 5th to 11th may have the same case.

So whilst I think we can certainly improve next season with some canny signings and a proper pre-season etc I don't think it is realistic to expect us to jump in to the top 4 considering the quality of those 4 big teams who will also all be strengthening this summer with much bigger budgets than we have.
So the point of my post was we might be 5th but given the strength of those teams I think we're be in a pack of 4-5 teams for 5th-6th rather than being up close to the big 4. And I haven't even mentioned Leicester yet.

We have a lot of results this season that we should improve on next year but realistically we can't expect to be bagging the 3 points away to Man U, Leicester and Chelsea next season - we'd have probably been satisfied with 3 draws from those games this season given our level.

Post #529656  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:05 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Rich wrote:

9 points but also needing to leapfrog 6 teams currently. I cant see there is anything we do this summer that we can realistically expect to be getting top 4 ahead of City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U next year. Liverpool surely won't have as poor a season next year with Van Dijk back.
So whilst I think we can improve I don't think we can expect top 4 and its more realistic to think we will be in a battle with the group behind rather than a battle for top 4.

There are some results from this year we must improve next year, and they are doable results to turn round - but equally we can't expect to be taking 3 points away at Chelsea and Man U next year. If we lose those next year (which is much more the norm for us) and win home games with Palace and Southampton and beat Burnley away for example we'd be on the same points.

Post #529657  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:08 pm 

Thought I'd lost the post so wrote it out again in a shorter version - 2 different replies but trying to say the same thing!

Post #529658  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:11 pm 

Awful decision by Mike Dean to not give Chelsea a penalty in that first half. Tielemans dawdles on the ball, Werner gets his foot in front and Tielemans just kicks through the leg of Werner. There is no foul by Werner, no obstruction, he just gets his foot in front of the ball that Tielemans is about to kick. Mike Dean gave the free kick to Leicester.

Post #529659  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:59 pm 

Is it me but every game seems littered with refereeing mistakes these days

Post #529660  Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:24 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

The quick fix for you then. Don’t think that has worked very well for us

Post #529661  Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:56 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Probably fluff, but not beyond the thinking of Arsenal to buy cheap. I hope we don't get Bertrand.

Post #529662  Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:10 am 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... Miami.html

Hope this is true, and that it happens. Mutually beneficial for both parties.

Post #529663  Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:34 am 

I will be very interested to see how many of the players who want to depart actually leave. I suspect that when they start negotiating with new clubs in they will not be offered anywhere near the wages they are currently receiving. Willian to US may be one who will get a decent salary. Xhaka, Bellerin, SK and Leno may all fall into this group.

On the Same Old Arsenal podcast this week one of the participants said it was not a given Xhaka was seeking a transfer. He said that Xhaka had merely indicated he was not seeking an extension to his contract.

The idea to pay out Özil and maybe Sokratis may come back to haunt us as others will expect the same.

Post #529664  Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:54 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I will be very interested to see how many of the players who want to depart actually leave. I suspect that when they start negotiating with new clubs in they will not be offered anywhere near the wages they are currently receiving. Willian to US may be one who will get a decent salary. Xhaka, Bellerin, SK and Leno may all fall into this group.

On the Same Old Arsenal podcast this week one of the participants said it was not a given Xhaka was seeking a transfer. He said that Xhaka had merely indicated he was not seeking an extension to his contract.

The idea to pay out Özil and maybe Sokratis may come back to haunt us as others will expect the same.

As I’ve said, I think the huge majority of transfer gossip is worthless and fictitious garbage invented by fertile imaginations to attract hits and sell papers. I certainly remain to be convinced that Leno is looking to get away. I’m sure there will be departures but personally, I’ll be surprised if Leno is one of them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skyspo ... t-to-leave

Post #529665  Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:51 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Bertrand counts as home grown whereas Kolasinac doesnt. We are almost at the limit of non homegrown players so freeing up space in the squad whilst adding a homegrown player makes a lot of sense. He’s a better defender than Kolasinac too. It’s a low risk signing which frees up squad space. It’s not the worst move in the world.

Post #529666  Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:14 am 

Darren wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Bertrand counts as home grown whereas Kolasinac doesnt. We are almost at the limit of non homegrown players so freeing up space in the squad whilst adding a homegrown player makes a lot of sense. He’s a better defender than Kolasinac too. It’s a low risk signing which frees up squad space. It’s not the worst move in the world.

Only low risk if we pay him a small wage and give him a short contract. He will be 32yo when the next season starts. Better off with a young player who will develop. I see him as another wanting a pre-retirement pay off. We have done a number of them recently with a poor or no return. If we end up having to pay out SK's last year of contract to get him to move, it would mean a large cost at big risk for a back-up position. The club has been poorly run for years and a lot of these trace back to Wenger.

Post #529667  Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:49 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Only low risk if we pay him a small wage and give him a short contract. He will be 32yo when the next season starts. Better off with a young player who will develop.

But how would a young, developing player perform if thrown into the deep end? The thinking behind signing Bertrand would probably be that he's a proven quantity in the league, and we have a 23-year old starter ahead of him who would be expected to start most games. In our whole squad we only have three players who are 30+ (four if you count Lacazette). One is definitely leaving, and there are rumours at least one of the others is looking to leave as well, so it's not as if we can't use some experience.

Post #529668  Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:52 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Only low risk if we pay him a small wage and give him a short contract. He will be 32yo when the next season starts. Better off with a young player who will develop.

But how would a young, developing player perform if thrown into the deep end? The thinking behind signing Bertrand would probably be that he's a proven quantity in the league, and we have a 23-year old starter ahead of him who would be expected to start most games. In our whole squad we only have three players who are 30+ (four if you count Lacazette). One is definitely leaving, and there are rumours at least one of the others is looking to leave as well, so it's not as if we can't use some experience.

The table suggests that we will have to take risks from here on. The club looking for quick fixes has to end. Bringing in frees, paying them CL wages and then them going into cruise mode is one of the causes of our problems. I suppose eventually one of them may be a success. A risk in itself.

Post #529669  Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:19 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
The table suggests that we will have to take risks from here on. The club looking for quick fixes has to end.

Don't think it has to be that black and white. I agree that our big signings should be focused on players that can potentially be here for many years, but there's always room for experienced back-ups. And if we can get a player like that without making a dent in our transfer budget it seems sensible to me. The fact that Willian hasn't been successful surely doesn't mean we shouldn't make that type of signing ever again? Bertrand is a different player and his success wouldn't depend on how well Willian did.

Post #529670  Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:58 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Rich wrote:

Morning McQ

9 points is almost 17% of our total. I wouldn't describe that as "miniscule". As of today, we're 11 points off 4th - that's over 20% adrift of the points required for Europe.

Sorry but the table doesn't lie. It never lies. We are currently 10th with the possibility of reaching 6th in the unlikely event we win both our remaining games and none of the 4 teams above get another point from their last games. We won't finish lower than 10th but 8th place is probably the best we can hope for. We finished 8th last year so at least we are consistent.

Nowadays, we are a mid-table club. This season we have performed like a mid-table team.

Post #529671  Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:13 pm 

DHD wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

Morning McQ

9 points is almost 17% of our total. I wouldn't describe that as "miniscule". As of today, we're 11 points off 4th - that's over 20% adrift of the points required for Europe.

Xhaka doesn’t grab that guy by the neck v Burnley or attempt that ridiculous backpass at their place and the ref doesn’t give that ludicrous penalty v wolves and your fifth in the table.

Some tweaking required definitely but we’ve suffered some consequences of ridiculous decision making and bad luck. I think we’ve suffered some ridiculous refereeing decisions this year and the manager was quite right to point this out.

This may not be a big a swing as many think.

Post #529672  Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:46 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

Morning McQ

Xhaka doesn’t grab that guy by the neck v Burnley or attempt that ridiculous backpass at their place and the ref doesn’t give that ludicrous penalty v wolves and your fifth in the table.

Some tweaking required definitely but we’ve suffered some consequences of ridiculous decision making and bad luck. I think we’ve suffered some ridiculous refereeing decisions this year and the manager was quite right to point this out.

This may not be a big a swing as many think.

I agree that we've had some bad decisions from refs and players that have cost of points but for balance we could play as we did at Chelsea in the same manner next season and end up losing 3-1 quite easily.
There was a moment at 0-0 at home to Sheff Utd (I think) where Luiz pulled their guy back when he might have been clean through, another day that's a red.
We could have easily thrown away 2 points at home to spurs but for the width of a post.
Man U away was a good performance but can we beat them again next year?
We clung on for a 0-0 at Leeds when 3-0 would have been a fairer reflection on the chances

There are clearly games where we can improve our results next year even if we added nobody to the squad but to get top 4 we've got to do that AND maintain all the good results we've had this year. Replicate our away form for next season and I'll be very, very happy.

Post #529673  Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:50 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

But every team we're fighting with in the table can point to bad refereeing decisions or individual mistakes that cost them and thereby claim they should have 6-7 more points. Bottom line is if we'd performed better over the course of the season we'd be in a much better place, regardless of mistakes or bad decisions.

Post #529674  Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:53 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

But every team we're fighting with in the table can point to bad refereeing decisions or individual mistakes that cost them and thereby claim they should have 6-7 more points. Bottom line is if we'd performed better over the course of the season we'd be in a much better place, regardless of mistakes or bad decisions.

I know what you mean and I agree but the sheer stupidity of that phase. Xhaka literally cost us 6 points, Pépé won’t headbutting anyone soon right ?

Just seemed to me we got a larger share of ridiculous decisions than anyone else and I’m aware all fans feel that way

Post #529675  Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:16 pm 

Palace star man missing this evening http://www.skysports.com/share/12310681

Post #529676  Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:26 pm 

Ha. Cracking goal from Reguilon. A real screamer. Excellent. :15laughter:

Post #529677  Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 5:43 pm 

Reguilon having a stormer for us. Please let it continue. It would be hilarious to go past them in the league.

Post #529678  Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:02 pm 

Willock is making a case to be included in the squad next season, 7 goals in 13 games now for Newcastle.

Post #529679  Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:02 pm 

Willock again. Six Premier League games in a row.

Post #529680  Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:05 pm 

Hmmm. That yellow was more of a red than some of the reds that we have been punished by this season.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13239, 13240, 13241, 13242, 13243, 13244, 13245 ... 14269  Next