Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 124 guests

Post #562401  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:57 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi AG,

I see Caicedo going to Chelsea and Rice to whoever is prepared to pay stupid money and that won't be us.

Caicedo has agreed terms with us and we are by all accounts in pole position. Rice likewise is coming according to every media outlet. I know we've heard that before but fingers crossed.

Most - if not all - players' contracts expire on 30th June. No idea why but plenty of time left for us to nause it all up. I think I'll hide behind the sofa.

There's many a slip 'twixt cup and lip!

Post #562402  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:05 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi AG,

I see Caicedo going to Chelsea and Rice to whoever is prepared to pay stupid money and that won't be us.

Caicedo has agreed terms with us and we are by all accounts in pole position. Rice likewise is coming according to every media outlet. I know we've heard that before but fingers crossed.

A big thing that has changed this window for us is obviously we’re in the champions league but also that we and Arteta have shown an ability to challenge at the top and a record of improving players in a clearly defined attacking style of play where every player knows their job. We’re as attractive as we’ve been for a long long time.
Chelsea don’t have CL, Liverpool don’t have CL but do have Klopp.

This needs to be the summer where we get a big first choice target over the line

Post #562403  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:30 pm 

Rumoured Arsenal target Ivan Fresneda’s team we’re relegated meaning he now has a release clause of €20m

Post #562404  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:46 pm 

socrates wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
If by some miracle we sign both Rice and Caecido and keep Partey what's our best midfield?

Hi AG,

Hey Soc,

I keep reading 'done deal' but I think we are similar in that until Arsenal.com announces it and see either holding up our shirt, its still speculation.

I have to think Rice is the more certain of the two but we've all seen 'certain' deals get derailed.

Post #562405  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:47 pm 

Rich wrote:
Rumoured Arsenal target Ivan Fresneda’s team we’re relegated meaning he now has a release clause of €20m

First I'm hearing of him. Going to have to see his skills video on Youtube and probably have to do it with the sound off because of how awful the music to these things can be.

Post #562406  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:11 am 

Gunfire wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi AG,

If you're getting your information from Facebook, before you get excited, check the article date, lots of old posts are put up over and over every time they are liked presumably.

Post #562407  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:39 am 

Taken from Twitter:

"Spurs sign Ange Postecoglou as manager.

For those asking WHO??

Spurs are officially known as Tottenham Hotspur, and are the 3rd biggest club in London (4th if you include Manchester City)"

Post #562408  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:45 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

First I'm hearing of him. Going to have to see his skills video on Youtube and probably have to do it with the sound off because of how awful the music to these things can be.

I've not seen him other than a few highlights - but supposedly one of those who can play the in fashion inverted full back role

Post #562409  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:33 pm 

Hmm

Post #562410  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:36 pm 

I hadn't realized that West Ham have European football. It's the lowest rung, the Conference league where you spend half the time playing some Slovakian or Austrian side but its Europe nonetheless. I'm thinking of Rice. CL is a much bigger draw and I would think he wants to be able to visit Milan, Paris or Amsterdam instead of Bratislava but one never knows.

Post #562411  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:09 am 

Amazing to see how much deadwood Man U have in their bloated squad. Players like Maguire, McTominey, Martial have at least been in and around the squad but there are players I’d forgotten about completely like Telles, Henderson, Van der Beek, Bailly. Given the wages all of those players are on it will be interesting to see how much they can generate in sales. We had to pay off players on high wages to get rid of them.

Even players who start most weeks most would say are not producing or not at the standard Man U need, De Gea, Fred, Sancho.
I find it amazing that they got 74 points last year, I felt they were incredibly lucky to pick up points in a lot of games, their goal difference shows the proof of this. They squeezed through a lot of tight games but rarely dominated games.

Post #562412  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:48 am 

Martial is a player I thought that had the potential for greatness. Mourinho killed that in my humble opinion. I'd have offered Man Utd's a kings ransom when 7 years ago for him, but at 27, its a bit too late.

Mourinho has a knack for getting a players hidden greatness or killing it like he did Pogba. Not that Pogba didn't make it easy for him.

Post #562413  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:36 am 

Mac Allister is ready to sign for Liverpool for £35m! I'm surprised they got such a free run at him for that fee. They did similar with Gakpo when everyone thought the fee would be much higher than it was. I think he'll do well for them.

Brighton fans won't be happy selling for that fee, there was a complicated release clause by all accounts, but it may make them harder to deal with for Caicedo.

On Caicedo, he signed a new deal in January. I think it is clear the new deal was signed with the 'promise' that he can be sold this summer. Since very publicaly stating he wanted to leave brighton in January he's been the model professional for them since so I wonder if part of that gentlemen's agreement is that he can have a bigger say in where he goes as long as a certain level of fee is bought in. ie: If he really wants us and we bid £75m but Chelsea bid £85m then he'd be allowed to join us. Speculative positivity of course

Post #562414  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:24 pm 

My renewal notices weren't showing any credits for the matches I sold via the Ticket Exchange so I have been trying to speak with a human for some days now. The shortest queue had me at #45 so I gave up.

I came to the conclusion it was easier to renew at the prices quoted and take it up with the Club some time in the future. However, when I got to 'the basket' page, the Ticket Exchange funds were automatically credited. There were also credits for 3 unused Cup matches - there were no FA Cup games last year. Why couldn't all that have been made clear in the emails? The whole web-based renewal process is clunky and far from intuitive.

Post #562415  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:44 pm 

TG - I think you're correct. Entry to the ground next year will be by the digital pass on your phone.

What could possibly go wrong?

Post #562416  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:59 pm 

See the Bellingham deal is as good as done, gives an indication of what Rice should be available for, 4 years younger than Rice and potential to be the best on the planet in his position. £100m including add one tops for Rice.

See Mr Kane in no rush to leave as he enjoys a sunny day on the links.

Post #562417  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:13 pm 

Bellingham to Real Madrid 103m euros - (£88m) - but up to 30% more in bonuses

Post #562418  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:17 pm 

Messi is joining Inter Miami

Kante is going to Saudi Arabia along with Benzema

Strange times in football

Post #562419  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:19 pm 

DHD wrote:
TG - I think you're correct. Entry to the ground next year will be by the digital pass on your phone.

What could possibly go wrong?

Yep I was pretty sure. Isn’t helpful if like me you often forget to charge your mobile :laughing7:

I’m fully expecting there to be a problem. For some reason my Digital pass moved itself to “expired” so I moved it back after following the instructions on our website but it feels weird. I think I’ll get to the first game earlier than usual and maybe miss that 3rd pint in the coronet next time before kick off.

Will this apply to away fans too. Imagine the fun the scousers will have with this when they are in town

Post #562420  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:25 pm 

Rich wrote:

Far from it.

Pelé played in the US at a similar age to messi. So did George best. Even Freddie did it.

Don Revie managed in the UAE

The Saudi thing is new but it was only a matter of time until somebody took their crazy money and ronaldo triggered it really.

If like soc suggested players in their prime start moving to these places that would be a shock but I can’t see millionaire football kids in their 20s wanting to move to Saudi in their prime.

Post #562421  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:28 pm 

Have to say 88m quid for Bellingham seems a relative bargain for Madrid if Rice will cost 100m and grealish costs 100 too*

*in the utterly ludicrous financial world of football

Post #562422  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:36 pm 

Rich wrote:

Haaland moved to City last year for 60m euros - about £50m. I thought at the time that was way too cheap for the most exciting attacking talent in a generation. Anyone else think that whole deal was a bit whiffy? For context, Kai Havertz cost £71m the year before.

Given City's propensity for shady deals, there's a strong suspicion they owned Haaland from the start and that he was just 'parked' at Borussia Dortmund for a year. At £50m you'd expect a bidding war but there was nothing.

Post #562423  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:42 pm 

DHD wrote:
Rich wrote:

Haaland moved to City last year for 60m euros - about £50m. I thought at the time that was way too cheap for the most exciting attacking talent in a generation. Anyone else think that whole deal was a bit whiffy? For context, Kai Havertz cost £71m the year before.

Given City's propensity for shady deals, there's a strong suspicion they owned Haaland from the start and that he was just 'parked' at Borussia Dortmund for a year. At £50m you'd expect a bidding war but there was nothing.

Apparently they are paying him 1M quid a week after bonuses so the transfer fee was only part of the story.

I think with his father being ex City it was par for the course he was always going to end up there plus I doubt there would be another European side paying him those wages which is on par with any top player in Europe except for mbappe

Post #562424  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:07 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Far from it.

Pelé played in the US at a similar age to messi. So did George best. Even Freddie did it.

The Saudi thing is new but it was only a matter of time until somebody took their crazy money and ronaldo triggered it really.

If like soc suggested players in their prime start moving to these places that would be a shock but I can’t see millionaire football kids in their 20s wanting to move to Saudi in their prime.

Yes it has been done before, but no one who is seen as a proper global superstar has been moving to these sorts of leagues for ages. A lot went to China but none of them were on the levels of the players now moving to these sorts of leagues.
Messi and Ronaldo have been the absolute icons of world football for 20 years and coule still compete at the sharp end of Europan football. Benzema was a Ballon D'Or winner last year. More and more will follow, I think it will be unprecedented in football because of the numbers that go and the high profile of the players that go.

Post #562425  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

Apparently they are paying him 1M quid a week after bonuses so the transfer fee was only part of the story.

I think with his father being ex City it was par for the course he was always going to end up there plus I doubt there would be another European side paying him those wages which is on par with any top player in Europe except for mbappe

It was a buy-out clause that was triggered. Plenty of teams in europe could have afforded the buy-out clause and would have happily paid it, but Haaland obviously has a say in where he goes and there was the wages the agents fees the father fees.....£50m might be the transfer fee but the add ons etc take it significantly higher and out of the reach of most teams

Post #562426  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:53 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Have to say 88m quid for Bellingham seems a relative bargain for Madrid if Rice will cost 100m and grealish costs 100 too*

*in the utterly ludicrous financial world of football

Yeah, have to admit when I saw £88M (plus all the add ons) I involuntarily said “is that it!!??” as if nearly £90M is some kind of pittance. But relatively it really is. If he was going to a premier league club I get the strong feeling Dortmund would be asking for much more. But yeah, I reckon it sets a helpful benchmark for Rice. You’d hope.

Interesting with Bellingham and all the talk of his carefully managed career he’s gone straight for the final destination, which tbf he looks very much ready for. Like the 15yr old Ødegaard doing the full tour of every club in Europe and then I rolled my eyes as he chose Real Madrid. Thought he should have gone to Ajax at the time. I wonder where Ødegaard would be now if he’d chosen a club like Dortmund. Turning out alright for him safe to say!!

Post #562427  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:26 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Far from it.

Yes it has been done before, but no one who is seen as a proper global superstar has been moving to these sorts of leagues for ages. A lot went to China but none of them were on the levels of the players now moving to these sorts of leagues.

Beckham went to the US when he was 31, Henry also. Colin bell, Rodney marsh, Rooney. The truth is this isn’t a new thing these places are the last cheque they get out of their careers the Saudis are just offering bigger ones at the moment and the main common theme ? They are all the wrong side of 30 and clearly on the wane. For benzema it’s last chance saloon to cash in on his reputation and others too. Ronaldo I mean sorry but we’ll past it (plus it was being suggested he wants to leave now anyway )

I just don’t see many Bellinghams, mbappe or Rices moving to those leagues any time soon. There’s also social and economic reasons they won’t go in their 20s.

Post #562428  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:30 pm 

Well done The Irons. Bowen - what a fine pro - a semi dead leg and he wins the game. Nice reward for Moyes too.

Post #562429  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:01 am 

Well done 'appy 'Ammers and especially for Moyes. Incident with fans at one point throwing objects on the pitch and cutting someone's head in the process, unacceptable.

Still, good win for WH in a dramatic fashion at the end.

Post #562430  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:48 am 

Denver Nuggets on the way to a 2-1 lead in the Finals

Post #562431  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:49 am 

Well done Hammers!

Post #562432  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:25 am 

Not a great performance from Rice. :laughing7:

Certainly didn’t scream a 100 million pound player based on that. I do think even if he came in replicating the perfomances partey put in for most of the season wouldn’t be easy. Honestly one of the best midfielders in Europe for most of the season

Post #562433  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:54 am 

Yep - well done you 'appy 'ammers.

OK Dec - sober up, clear yer locker, say yer goodbyes and get yer arse to The Arse.

Post #562434  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:35 am 

Lots of chat now about Arsenal making our move for Rice. £90m bid. West Ham chairman has said he's promised Rice that he can go. All the talk is that Rice wants to stay in London and is totally convinced by Arsenal and Arteta. It will be a very exciting signing if we can push it through.

Post #562435  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:38 am 

I saw some guys on line speculate how they would spend Arsenal's supposed £200m transfer budget. Forget any sales, you just have £200m to improve the squad.

The consensus was on 2 central midfielders (one of Rice or Caicedo but not being able to afford both), a right sided defender and a right sided attacker/striker.

If you spend £90m on Rice I think you could get a very good right sided defender in the sub £30m range and there are options out there for more budget friendly central midfielders (circa £30-40m) but I think finding the top quality attacker is going to be the hardest position to fill this summer.

Post #562436  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:05 am 

Rich wrote:
I saw some guys on line speculate how they would spend Arsenal's supposed £200m transfer budget. Forget any sales, you just have £200m to improve the squad.

The consensus was on 2 central midfielders (one of Rice or Caicedo but not being able to afford both), a right sided defender and a right sided attacker/striker.

If you spend £90m on Rice I think you could get a very good right sided defender in the sub £30m range and there are options out there for more budget friendly central midfielders (circa £30-40m) but I think finding the top quality attacker is going to be the hardest position to fill this summer.

Interesting concession. I would say Rice, caicedo and a young but promising right back.

We have 3 main problems really. Lack of power and speed in midfield, lack of a 2nd option up front and depth and cover especially for saka. Really I think choosing this would mean you are only addressing 1 of our problem areas.

I’m not expecting us to sign a new striker but just can’t see us maintaining a title challenge without a new one. Towards the end of last year I was even wondering if it would have been more effective to play Nketiah up there instead of gabby because when Jesus is having a bag game it seems he’s not effective at all.

Post #562437  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:38 pm 

Pre-season schedule based on reports so far:

July 13th - Arsenal vs Nurnberg
July 19th - MLS All-Stars vs Arsenal
July 22nd - Arsenal vs Manchester United
July 26th - Arsenal vs Barcelona
August 2nd - Arsenal vs Monaco (mid week mini emirates cup)
August 6th - Arsenal vs Manchester City - Community Shield

Post #562438  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:41 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Interesting concession. I would say Rice, caicedo and a young but promising right back.

We have 3 main problems really. Lack of power and speed in midfield, lack of a 2nd option up front and depth and cover especially for saka. Really I think choosing this would mean you are only addressing 1 of our problem areas.

I’m not expecting us to sign a new striker but just can’t see us maintaining a title challenge without a new one. Towards the end of last year I was even wondering if it would have been more effective to play Nketiah up there instead of gabby because when Jesus is having a bag game it seems he’s not effective at all.

It is possible that Arteta sees Trossard as a genuine option as a No.9.
In numbers only the squad really only lacks some depth in central midfield and right sided defender on the assumption that Nelson signs a new deal and is the back up right wing.
In terms of quality I think it is 2CM, 1 right sided defender, 1 right winger and 1 physical striker

Post #562439  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:27 pm 

Since Messi announced he'll be signing for Inter Miami their Instagram followers have gone from 1 million to 5 million

Post #562440  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:30 pm 

Arsenal official player of the year.
1st Ødegaard
2nd Saka
3rd Martinelli

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14058, 14059, 14060, 14061, 14062, 14063, 14064 ... 14269  Next