Fixtures Saturday April 1st - Leeds United FC - Emirates Stadium - 3:00 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Poll: What position will Arsenal finish up in this year ?

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:38 pm

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 11 guests

 
Post #557481  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 10771
Location: Singapore

Rich wrote:
Highest yearly wage spends of football clubs.

Remarkable how we’ve slashed our wage bill. All but level with Spurs and between £130-170m less than Man U, Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea. For now that helps bridge the gap of not having Champions League money, if we get Champions League money next year which looks increasingly strong we add something in the region of £80m extra revenue per season guaranteed rather than being in the Europa. Someone like Declan Rice may not be out of reach after all


I would hate to be the Everton Manager right now. High wages and yet not commensurating with performance

_________________
Onwards and Upwards!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557482  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 23560

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:
Highest yearly wage spends of football clubs.

Remarkable how we’ve slashed our wage bill. All but level with Spurs and between £130-170m less than Man U, Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea. For now that helps bridge the gap of not having Champions League money, if we get Champions League money next year which looks increasingly strong we add something in the region of £80m extra revenue per season guaranteed rather than being in the Europa. Someone like Declan Rice may not be out of reach after all


I would hate to be the Everton Manager right now. High wages and yet not commensurating with performance

It looks like Dyche is going to be that manager. His first game in charge will be against us. Not ideal for us with everyone else having been able to play Lampard's horror show - they're still poor players and we're still top of the league so we should win.

Dyche is a good appointment for Everton though


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557483  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 17244

Rich wrote:
Nketiah deserves an England call up. He can still play for Ghana if he wants. He's proven he can play the lone front man role.

He’s better than Callum Wilson. He’s even scored more goals this season. Honestly if he keeps it up it won’t be long until Southgate comes knocking


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557484  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 17244

Emile Smith Rowe injured misses tonight. Can’t help feel for the kid. People are kinda forgetting how good he is.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557485  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 17244

It’s *%^@ or get off the pot in the transfer window. 3 business days

Might see some movement today.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557486  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 23560

We’ve bid £60m for Caicedo from Brighton.

I think I’ve read Brighton want over £75m


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557487  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 20197

Rich wrote:
We’ve bid £60m for Caicedo from Brighton.

I think I’ve read Brighton want over £75m


Hi Rich,

Top player but we all now how this story ends.

Brighton don't want to sell in this window so my question would be why offer well below we know Brighton want, what's the point? Is it just a convenient story to divert attention away from our real targets?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557488  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 23560

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
We’ve bid £60m for Caicedo from Brighton.

I think I’ve read Brighton want over £75m


Hi Rich,

Top player but we all now how this story ends.

Brighton don't want to sell in this window so my question would be why offer well below we know Brighton want, what's the point? Is it just a convenient story to divert attention away from our real targets?

Who knows. The bid is £60m fixed so I presume Arsenal can go higher with add ons. Chelsea will surely come back in with a bigger bid.

Apparently Edu put a confidentiality clause in the negotiations for Kiwior so no leaks came out. I think he knows (or suspects) teams watch what we do....


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557489  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 17244

Laws of negotiation. If you start off at 75 they will ask for 100 lads

Seems weird that we are going so large this window. I literally know nothing about the player apart from clips. He doesn’t look a natural partey replacement though from what I saw. Are we genuinely going to
Break our transfer record


Saw a clip of Ramsdale on a podcast saying Trossard is not here to sit on the bench and he’s going to take someone’s place.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557490  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 7883

socrates wrote:

Top player but we all now how this story ends.




I watched Caicedo's YouTube video. Very robust tackler but you'd worry about the number of times he leaves the ground. For comparison, Kante rarely dives in.

From that viewing, Caicedo seems like a red card waiting to happen.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557491  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 23560

If Trossard starts tonight I could see Tierney get a start as well, he seems to work better with a forward who cuts inside more than a touchline hugging forward. But Arteta's general plan is for the wide men to hug the touchline


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557492  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 23560

TOP GUN wrote:
Laws of negotiation. If you start off at 75 they will ask for 100 lads

Seems weird that we are going so large this window. I literally know nothing about the player apart from clips. He doesn’t look a natural partey replacement though from what I saw. Are we genuinely going to
Break our transfer record


Saw a clip of Ramsdale on a podcast saying Trossard is not here to sit on the bench and he’s going to take someone’s place.

Do you think we'd be going so big in this window if we weren't top and had areal chance at the title? I'm hoping everyone sees it as a real opportunity so are willing to risk a bit more, or bring forward some spending for the chance of glory


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557493  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 7883

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Laws of negotiation. If you start off at 75 they will ask for 100 lads

Seems weird that we are going so large this window. I literally know nothing about the player apart from clips. He doesn’t look a natural partey replacement though from what I saw. Are we genuinely going to
Break our transfer record


Saw a clip of Ramsdale on a podcast saying Trossard is not here to sit on the bench and he’s going to take someone’s place.

Do you think we'd be going so big in this window if we weren't top and had areal chance at the title? I'm hoping everyone sees it as a real opportunity so are willing to risk a bit more, or bring forward some spending for the chance of glory


I think our Owners have finally realised that if you want your brand to grow in value, you have to keep investing. Now that we look to have a realistic chance of top 2 where the real TV money is paid, it's a decent punt.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557494  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:29 pm
Posts: 4931

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
We’ve bid £60m for Caicedo from Brighton.

I think I’ve read Brighton want over £75m


Hi Rich,

Top player but we all now how this story ends.

Brighton don't want to sell in this window so my question would be why offer well below we know Brighton want, what's the point? Is it just a convenient story to divert attention away from our real targets?

Soc
I have never taken much notice of him.
Can you or anyone else advise what type of player he is and what makes him a 'top' player to get us to bid 60 million for him.
Fees are well and truly ridiculous these days.
Can he do what Partey does?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557495  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:29 pm
Posts: 4931

I thought we were interested in Declan Rice and he had more or less given his word he'd be joining in the summer.....


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557496  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:29 pm
Posts: 4931

DHD wrote:
Rich wrote:
Do you think we'd be going so big in this window if we weren't top and had areal chance at the title? I'm hoping everyone sees it as a real opportunity so are willing to risk a bit more, or bring forward some spending for the chance of glory


I think our Owners have finally realised that if you want your brand to grow in value, you have to keep investing. Now that we look to have a realistic chance of top 2 where the real TV money is paid, it's a decent punt.

If Ramsdale did say that isn't that a tad disrespectful to the current holders of the front line?
Sorry i think it was TG said he saw a clip of Ramsdale saying that


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557497  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 17244

david.d wrote:
I thought we were interested in Declan Rice and he had more or less given his word he'd be joining in the summer.....


The Rice thing is interesting. I’m not sure why we are linked with him as it’s the transfer that we never seem to pull off for major England internationals at Arsenal but I’ve heard some mentioning there re very specific reasons he wants to join Arsenal. His dad is a season ticket holder at Stamford bridge but he’s just had a kid a few months back and insists he wants to play in the champions league.

He’s a good enough player to adapt roles, ie he could play in xhaka and parteys role


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557498  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 25813

david.d wrote:
I thought we were interested in Declan Rice and he had more or less given his word he'd be joining in the summer.....

Like Mudryk you mean. Full Instagram, Arsenal shirt mode.

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557499  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 20197

david.d wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Rich,

Top player but we all now how this story ends.

Brighton don't want to sell in this window so my question would be why offer well below we know Brighton want, what's the point? Is it just a convenient story to divert attention away from our real targets?

Soc
I have never taken much notice of him.
Can you or anyone else advise what type of player he is and what makes him a 'top' player to get us to bid 60 million for him.
Fees are well and truly ridiculous these days.
Can he do what Partey does?


Hi david,

I am not professing to be his biggest fan or to have studied his game in depth but he seems a very good all action player in the Kante mould....... strong, athletic, reads the game well and a decent passer. Only 21, too, so lots of room for improvement.

Not sure why anyone is really getting to invested in this story, though, it isn't happening. Even if we were to agree a fee at a higher price you can bet Chelsea will get involved.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557500  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 20197

TOP GUN wrote:
david.d wrote:
I thought we were interested in Declan Rice and he had more or less given his word he'd be joining in the summer.....


The Rice thing is interesting. I’m not sure why we are linked with him as it’s the transfer that we never seem to pull off for major England internationals at Arsenal but I’ve heard some mentioning there re very specific reasons he wants to join Arsenal. His dad is a season ticket holder at Stamford bridge but he’s just had a kid a few months back and insists he wants to play in the champions league.

He’s a good enough player to adapt roles, ie he could play in xhaka and parteys role


Top player, TG, but as I said the other day don't even think about him as an Arsenal player until he actually signs on the dotted line. West Ham will want a big price, lots of other big clubs interested. Lots can change between now and the summer.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557501  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 25813

TOP GUN wrote:
Emile Smith Rowe injured misses tonight. Can’t help feel for the kid. People are kinda forgetting how good he is.

If he didn’t have bad luck then he’d have no luck at all.

After all the ‘Saka and Emil Smith Rowe’ excitement as they emerged it must be so frustrating for him as to how it has panned out.

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557502  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 23560

Arsenal ready to go back with an improved bid for Caicedo.

Back up plans are one of:
Bamba (£26m release clause)
Zubimendi (£52m release clause)
Onana - no idea what Everton would want but they've just sold Gordon to Newcastle for £40m

Zubimendi would appear to be the more cultured passing midfielder of the 4. The other 4 are more the athletic tacklers.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557503  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 23560

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Emile Smith Rowe injured misses tonight. Can’t help feel for the kid. People are kinda forgetting how good he is.

If he didn’t have bad luck then he’d have no luck at all.

After all the ‘Saka and Emil Smith Rowe’ excitement as they emerged it must be so frustrating for him as to how it has panned out.

Quite common to get minor injury set backs after a long time out. Still plenty of time for Emile Smith Rowe to re-establish himself


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557504  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 17244

Rich wrote:
Arsenal ready to go back with an improved bid for Caicedo.



I mean. If we are going to 65 -70 million quid there’s not many players in world football tight now that would cost more. Bellingham & Rice for sure but apart from those 2 who else? have we honestly seen enough of this player to pay 70 million and break our transfer record. That would be a massive call and total eye opener

Does anybody know anything about him.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557505  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:36 pm
Posts: 3261

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
Arsenal ready to go back with an improved bid for Caicedo.



I mean. If we are going to 65 -70 million quid there’s not many players in world football tight now that would cost more. Bellingham & Rice for sure but apart from those 2 who else? have we honestly seen enough of this player to pay 70 million and break our transfer record. That would be a massive call and total eye opener

Does anybody know anything about him.


Not a sausage. But his YouTube clips left me unimpressed tbh. All action and like someone else said big sliding tackles like Wan Bissaka. The kind of player Wenger would never have signed, and seemed to be always chasing a Santi Cazorla type, but then we ended up physically light most of the time. Maybe he’s a bit of midfield steel to go with Ødegaard, Zinchenko et al and at 21 however he develops maybe the team will adapt around him.

For instance, Rodri (who I hate, which must mean he’s good) plays it differently to Partey but could do a job in our team.

I’d much rather the Zubimendi links, but maybe it’s Zinchenko in the 6 and this guy for the 8. Whoever we get we have options.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557506  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 32793

There are all kinds of football podcasts. I came across this one by accident. Decent analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XLvXkLCRMY&t=3127s

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557507  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 23560

Martinelli has signed a new contract until 2027


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557508  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 7883

Rich wrote:
Martinelli has signed a new contract until 2027


Great news.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557509  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:31 pm
Posts: 4013
Location: Turnford, Broxbourne, Herts

Arsenal XI: Turner, Tomiyasu, Holding, Gabriel, Tierney, Vieira, Partey, Xhaka, Saka, Nketiah, Trossard.

Subs: Ramsdale, White, Zinchenko, Saliba, Kiwior, Lokonga, Ødegaard, Marquinhos, Martinelli.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557510  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 7883

85% team for them, 65% for us.

Strong bench though.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557511  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 25813

DHD wrote:
85% team for them, 65% for us.

Strong bench though.

It’s been quite a while since we have had a ‘strong bench’.

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557512  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 20197

Having seen the two line-ups I would say I am hoping for the best but expecting the worst.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557513  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 7883

Think Charlie George in the mud.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557514  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 23560

Apart from Ederson that’s their current first choice 11 that Pep has been picking


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557515  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 23560

Holding trying to fight Haaland early on. He won that free kick but I don’t think he’ll win that war if he tries to simply out muscle him all game


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557516  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 23560

Great hit from Tomiyasu - saved - good build up from Trossard


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557517  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 6732
Location: SE9

Trossard looking sharp early on


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557518  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 7883

We are right in this.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557519  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 pm
Posts: 5347

Good man Turner. That could have gone wrong and badly.

_________________
"If you do not believe you can do it then you have no chance at all"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #557520  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 32793

Our keeper did well to come out for that defensive miss but I keep wondering if he will end up costing us in such a high level game?

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 560229 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13935, 13936, 13937, 13938, 13939, 13940, 13941 ... 14006  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 11 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018