Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 101 guests

Post #550161  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:59 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I was at the Dell for Ian wrights league debut. No other debut will ever come close.

Bernard, surely there was no need for TG to repeat the word 'league' in that second sentence. I think we all knew what he meant, because he'd literally written 'league debut' three words earlier.

He’s not well.

Post #550162  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:05 pm 

This first half showed exactly why I had Man Utd at 7th in my predictions. Their midfield is just so poor, and is getting run through like they're not even there. Xhaka is a player most Arsenal fans feel we can upgrade, but he'd not only walk straight into the Man Utd eleven, he'd be their best option. I'm sure they'll sign someone before the window closes, but it's really strange that they haven't done it already.

Post #550163  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:30 pm 

Bernard wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard, surely there was no need for TG to repeat the word 'league' in that second sentence. I think we all knew what he meant, because he'd literally written 'league debut' three words earlier.

Incidentally, Willian's debut for us at Fulham was pretty good.

It was his comment “No other debut will ever come close.” that made me. It wasn’t his debut. I thought it was fair and reasonable to point that out.

Indeed. I can't see why Top Gun is getting heated. Surely people want other people to correct their mistakes?

Post #550164  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:57 pm 

Brighton win 2-1, you love to see it. They deserved the win too, outplayed Man Utd in parts and had a pretty decent penalty shout at 2-0 up.

Post #550165  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:59 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Brighton win 2-1, you love to see it. They deserved the win too, outplayed Man Utd in parts and had a pretty decent penalty shout at 2-0 up.

And they won despite their keeper. Wobbly or what.

Post #550166  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:21 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
He’s not well.

Are you my GP then? If so, what’s wrong with me as I haven’t had an appointment with you for a very long time?

Post #550167  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:01 pm 

On the BBC Alba channel they’re showing the live women’s game between Celtic and Hibernian. For their women’s team Celtic use the Airdrie ground for their home games. So Celtic are at home.

What’s strange is the Celtic women are not playing in green and white hooped shirts. Their shirts are black with thin white and green stripes on them. Wonder why, as Celtic have one of the most recognisable strips in world football. I doubt there are many football fans in the world that don’t associate green and white hoops with them.

Hibs are also playing in their away kit.

Post #550168  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:57 pm 

That Haaland bloke is quite good isn’t he? And for a bargain price.

Post #550169  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:08 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
That Haaland bloke is quite good isn’t he? And for a bargain price.

He's like Lukaku, but good at football. A big tank just running straight at goal all the time.

Post #550170  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:26 pm 

I see McTominey is again allowed to get away with another studs over the ball in to the shin challenge. At what point is this guy going to be ‘that type of player’ and not be given the benefit of the doubt?

Post #550171  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:56 pm 

I get more enjoyment seeing Man Utd lose than Tottenham. Not by a lot but a wee bit more because when I started watching football, Tottenham were losing, so I was used to seeing them lose, but Man Utd were the top dogs.

I am worried about Tottenham, they had a good summer in the transfer market, they have started the season with a statement win. It's going to be tough. Jury is still out for me regarding Chelsea. Title is between City and Liverpool which is stating the obvious.

I am still cautiously optimistic about the season. It's great to have 3 very good center backs to choose from. With all due respect to what Hodd said about the decision to send Saliba on loan, I still feel the club risked too much. He was well scouted and deemed first team quality, not for the future, similar to Pépé. From the onset he was good when he went out on loan. It's logical he got even better being out on loan with regular football. By all accounts, people that saw him thought he was already good enough, including Henry. But, its done and we have him and he looks quality. Gary Neville was singing his praises. .

Post #550172  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:06 pm 

Very good point being made by a few Arsenal fans online.

When we lost against Brentford last year Sky sports and specifically Neville and Carragher did an entire analysis piece of why Ben White will struggle against taller more physical strikers. So they’re all asking for a similar analysis for 5ft 9 Martinez at Man U after his disastrous debut v Brighton and Welbeck……?

Post #550173  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:09 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

More than decent I’d say. The Man U defender just barged the Brighton player in the back with no attempt to win the ball. Can’t believe a penalty wasn’t given. You feel like it sure would have been for Man U at the other end

Post #550174  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:31 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

More than decent I’d say. The Man U defender just barged the Brighton player in the back with no attempt to win the ball. Can’t believe a penalty wasn’t given. You feel like it sure would have been for Man U at the other end

Didn’t see the game but I’m assuming Martinez had a bad one. Like I said a few weeks back I don’t understand how a central defender 5.9 tall will work in the premier league. Ben white 6.1 and was said to be too small.

I have to say I’m somewhat relieved the club didn’t get Martinez. I’m not sure what the thinking was. Massive difference between the Dutch league and premiership.

Post #550175  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:52 pm 

Still buzzing after Fridays win.
So great to start with a win and nice to see utd lose today.
We hopefully should take care of Leicester so 6 points out of 6 but can't take anything for granted.
Only downside is spurs have wolves who they should beat.
If saliba gets regular games then surely he signs a new contract.
Imperative we keep him.
He looks a monster and only 21.
Big clubs around Europe will definitely be sniffing around and tapping him up but to see Arteta being so positive about him and praising him is fantastic.
We have a jewel that has to be polished and nurtured.
Charm offensive is underway I reckon to get him to sign.
Supposedly we dropped a giant quote on our twitter over what Arteta had said about him after the game.

Post #550176  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:53 pm 

Nuno has scored for Marseille tonight.
Good for him

Post #550177  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:01 pm 

Balogun hasn't started for Reims

Post #550178  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:36 pm 

david.d wrote:
Good for him

A fine goal too (expect the video to be taken down quickly):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X3zQgFj4os

Post #550179  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:47 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
david.d wrote:
Good for him

A fine goal too (expect the video to be taken down quickly):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X3zQgFj4os

Great goal Haz
Balogun came off the bench and scored for Reims.

Post #550180  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:30 pm 

david.d wrote:
Good for him

I’m pleased. Look, not on this forum but a much used other the reaction to his early form last season was that he should be the first choice and Tierney be sold. Then later in the season he became Arsenal’s worst ever player (not just left back) who should never play for the club again.

Both were pathetic overreactions. He’s nowhere near the best and worst Arsenal teams. There is a fine, a very fine, player in him. His strong running from deep was massively useful to Arsenal last season.

I find it sad when social media opinion on players rests so much with their last game, or last few. Opinion should be formed over a longer period. I used to write for The Gooner fanzine. I once did an article naming the worst team that I’d seen. Not together but my time as a fan.

A rule for candidates was that they played at least twenty competitive games for the club. It removes some useless kid who somehow played a game or two as late subs.

Post #550181  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:32 pm 

You can almost see Carragher and Neville before the season. Looking at the games : Man U will have an easy home win and Liverpool will thrash Fulham. No chance of any upsets there. So let’s make Arsenal Palace-the first game so we can take the piss like last year. How did you go.

Post #550182  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:58 am 

Zed wrote:
I would suspect most have heard of Buddy Holly.

Ah ah ah ...not so fast Zed ........ not if you live in the Highlands of Myanmar as Bernard obviously does

Post #550183  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:02 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Zed wrote:
Almost forgot. Photo of the Porsche James Dean was driving when he got killed.

What’s a Porsche? Is it a car?

:15laughter:

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: make of forklift made by Standard Vanguard in the early 1950s

Post #550184  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:26 am 

kiwipete wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
What’s a Porsche? Is it a car?

:15laughter:

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: make of forklift made by Standard Vanguard in the early 1950s

I’ve definitely heard of Porsche cars. Indeed, I’ve driven a couple. One of five German car companies I can think of, the others being Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Volkswagen. Italian car companies that spring to mind are Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati and Fiat.

Post #550185  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:29 am 

Man U had a bid turned down for Marco Arnautovic. Man U are the gift that keeps on giving.

De Gea in goal for them is a huge problem. A GK that can’t build play with his feet kills building from the back especially when combined with an organised opposition press.

Post #550186  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:47 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I’ve definitely heard of Porsche cars. Indeed, I’ve driven a couple. One of five German car companies I can think of, the others being Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Volkswagen. Italian car companies that spring to mind are Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati and Fiat.

Hells Bells let your head go Bernard , you're on fire I want you on my Trivial Pursuit team ... other German cars Messchersmitt , Borgward , Wankel , Opel , Daimler , Goggomobil , Maybach ,

Italian ... Isetta , Alfa Romeo , Lancia

Post #550187  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:53 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hells Bells let your head go Bernard , you're on fire I want you on my Trivial Pursuit team ... other German cars Messchersmitt , Borgward , Wankel , Opel , Daimler , Goggomobil , Maybach ,

In my spotty youth used to play Top Trumps cards as a craze for a while. Wankel never failed to have us all giggling.

Post #550188  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:55 am 

So in order to see how good I could be as a manager, for the first time in a long time I entered 2 teams in the Premier League Fantasy competition.

Suffice to say I'm 54th and 58th.

In a League of 59. :20hospitals:

Post #550189  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:01 am 

Rich wrote:
Man U are the gift that keeps on giving.

Yeah not wrong ; after watched the highlights this morning I mused .... What a seismic shock for their fan base , wait four months , along comes the season opener , new manager , full house at home ....... and get dicked by a little South Coast outfit that has a thousandth of your financial clout

Post #550190  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:10 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I’m annoyed I forgot Alfa Romeo. Lancia? Come across the word but didn’t know it was an Italian car company. Never heard of Isetta.

I didn’t know Daimler were German. Had presumed they were English. Messchersmitt I thought made planes in the war. Didn’t know they made cars. I thought Opal made sweets, not cars. Opal Fruits. Never heard of Borgward, Wankel, Goggomobil and Maybach.

Post #550191  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:15 am 

john1 wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

In my spotty youth used to play Top Trumps cards as a craze for a while. Wankel never failed to have us all giggling.

Smutty little deviant .

When we lived in England the first time in 1973 , I used to push the daughter around the lanes in a Surrey village of Coulsdon , there was a Goggomobile parked behind a gate with a hedge growing over it .
Wonder if it's still there ? be good in these days of sky rocketing fuel prices .

Post #550192  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:30 am 

kiwipete wrote:
john1 wrote:

Smutty little deviant .

When we lived in England the first time in 1973 , I used to push the daughter around the lanes in a Surrey village of Coulsdon , there was a Goggomobile parked behind a gate with a hedge growing over it .
Wonder if it's still there ? be good in these days of sky rocketing fuel prices .

Goggomobile. Sounds 'strine'.

Post #550193  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:30 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I’m annoyed I forgot Alfa Romeo. Lancia? Come across the word but didn’t know it was an Italian car company. Never heard of Isetta.

I didn’t know Daimler were German. Had presumed they were English. Messchersmitt I thought made planes in the war. Didn’t know they made cars. I thought Opal made sweets, not cars. Opal Fruits. Never heard of Borgward, Wankel, Goggomobil and Maybach.

Daimler was originally German ....... going out on a limb without Googling I think Daimler Benz manufactured the first internal combustion engine somewhere around 1888 . Think they were bought out by Jaguar who in turn I think were bought by Ford [ guessing ]

Opel with an E is the car .

Messerschmitt https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_KR200 not destined to rival Rolls , Lincoln , Mercedes anytime soon

Post #550194  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:33 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Didn’t see the game but I’m assuming Martinez had a bad one. Like I said a few weeks back I don’t understand how a central defender 5.9 tall will work in the premier league. Ben white 6.1 and was said to be too small.

I have to say I’m somewhat relieved the club didn’t get Martinez. I’m not sure what the thinking was. Massive difference between the Dutch league and premiership.

If we had Martinez who would he replace and in which position?

Don’t see it myself. Very curious.

Post #550195  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:36 am 

john1 wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

The Wankdorf Stadium is another schoolboy gem.

Post #550196  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:40 am 

long time gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

The Wankdorf Stadium is another schoolboy gem.

Oh yes.

Post #550197  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:50 am 

Attachment:

Star? Really? Good luck to him anyway. Living the dream.

Post #550198  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:28 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Opel with an E is the car .

In that case they’re another I hadn’t heard of.

Post #550199  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:43 am 

Rich wrote:
Man U had a bid turned down for Marco Arnautovic. Man U are the gift that keeps on giving.

De Gea in goal for them is a huge problem. A GK that can’t build play with his feet kills building from the back especially when combined with an organised opposition press.

Looking at their team, it's just comical how poorly built that entire squad is.

You start with De Gea, a great shot stopper who doesn't have feet. Then a defense led by Maguire who makes John Terry look like Ronaldinho. Their full backs are the traditional sort that bombs up and down the flanks hitting crosses but has very limited passing ability. In central midfield they have McTominay who should be playing for Stoke, and Fred who is decent carrying the ball in tight areas but has absolutely zero passing range.

Then they look to their front three and they're worried about the form of Bruno Fernandes and Rashford, and the fact that Jadon Sancho hasn't kicked on at all, but it's just a simple fact in modern football that you can't start your creative play in the final third. How anyone expects those players to perform when the entire team below them are so devoid of technical ability is beyond me. That's probably the entire reason they bought Martinez despite his limited height, because he's an actual ball playing defender.

Rangnick said they needed to sell ten players and buy ten players, and he basically got the sack. The way I see it they are where Arsenal was a few years ago, with a bloated and overpaid squad that needs a huge overhaul. Looking at their transfer dealings thus far in the summer, it doesn't seem like they've realized it though.

Post #550200  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:55 am 

I so hope that we turn up at Old Trafford without that inbuilt inferiority complex that we seem to reserve for such occasions.

We are miles better than them. Their next two home games are Liverpool and then us.

Hopefully really tough times for them.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13752, 13753, 13754, 13755, 13756, 13757, 13758 ... 14269  Next