Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Rich, warrior and 65 guests

Post #532441  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:05 pm 

Ash wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Good grief!

Attachment:
IMG_0545.PNG

Is that Tavares?

Edit: quick google my second guess :1laughter: Miguel Azeez with a haircut???

Bodes well for a young midfielder looking for minutes that he looks physically prepared for men’s football. If this is Miguel...

Looks more like Gabriel Magalhaes.

Post #532442  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:09 pm 

Zed wrote:
Ash wrote:

Is that Tavares?

Edit: quick google my second guess :1laughter: Miguel Azeez with a haircut???

Bodes well for a young midfielder looking for minutes that he looks physically prepared for men’s football. If this is Miguel...

Really?

Post #532443  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:12 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Zed wrote:

Really?

Well no maybe not Gabriel. Azeez got a haircut.

Post #532444  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:26 pm 

Rich wrote:
but there are certain pieces of information from certain journalists that I wouldn't class as 'gossip'.

If you mean Ornstein as one of them, I’ve explained here that some years ago I went to an AST where he was the guest speaker. Ornstein was introduced in glowing terms with regards the accuracy of what he said. The following day I did some research on this and found many reports showing what he had said was hopelessly wrong. The examples weren’t few and far between. Really they weren’t.

From what I’ve seen of Ornstein his speciality seems to be getting things right the day they actually happen. Any earlier than that and I’m less convinced.

Post #532445  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:28 pm 

Agreeing to this would be really stupid on our part. It’s sell him or play him now. Hope this isn’t true

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... -deal.html

Post #532446  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:42 pm 

I can see where people who are skeptical of Ødegaard are coming from. Truth be told, he probably had more anonymous games than good ones for us, but that's to be expected considering his age, and coming into a new, very demanding league in a team that's struggling. There weren't a lot of Arsenal players who played consistently well last season.

For me, it's all about the good games he did have, which was quite a few. Especially the really good ones, like West Ham. He showed qualities that we lack, skill on the ball and great will to drive the team forward. I would be very excited to see what he can do over a full season with us, and he's still just 22 years old. At 22 Bruno Fernandes was playing for Sampdoria, and wasn't exactly setting the world alight, still a few years away from his big breakthrough at Sporting. It wasn't until he was 25 that he went to Man Utd. A future attacking lineup including Ødegaard, Saka and Smith-Rowe looks really exciting to me.

Post #532447  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:55 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
but there are certain pieces of information from certain journalists that I wouldn't class as 'gossip'.

If you mean Ornstein as one of them, I’ve explained here that some years ago I went to an AST where he was the guest speaker. Ornstein was introduced in glowing terms with regards the accuracy of what he said. The following day I did some research on this and found many reports showing what he had said was hopelessly wrong. The examples weren’t few and far between. Really they weren’t.

From what I’ve seen of Ornstein his speciality seems to be getting things right the day they actually happen. Any earlier than that and I’m less convinced.

I was thinking more about Fabrizio Romano. It’s rare a journalist is going to get everything spot on because last minute changes can happen. But Romano is regularly ahead of the crowd on transfer news.

Post #532448  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:00 pm 

We keep being linked with very good players, the latest in a long line being Lautaro Martinez from Inter.

Obviously the Martinez one is unlikely given our lack of CL football but I just wonder if there is something else going on, in that the Kroenkes are prepared to do something big this summer.

The only way someone like Martinez comes is if he is sold a project that is incredibly persuasive.

One thing we do have going for us is that some of the usual suspects who bid for these kind of players are out of the running due to financial pressures. Madrid, Barca, the italian clubs, maybe even Bayern are unable or unwilling to spend big. I even read that Liverpool are not going to be signing any more players this summer, though I take that with a pinch of salt.

This may be a real opportunity for clubs who do have money to get players they might normally face too much competition for.

Post #532449  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:06 pm 

socrates wrote:
The only way someone like Martinez comes is if he is sold a project that is incredibly persuasive.

There are rumours Chelsea and Man City are in for him, and if that's true we don't have a chance I'd assume. But in general, I think people tend to underestimate just how big a draw the Premier League is. CL football is a draw too obviously, but Arsenal are still considered a big club. We managed to sign Partey after finishing 8th in the league, and he was a starter for an Atletico Madrid side that have challenged for, and won, big titles in recent seasons.

Post #532450  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:41 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
A whole host of big names and high transfer fees does not always make the best team. Ole has no excuse to not make a proper title challenge this season though

Agreed with regards to how much they've spent, but it would take a monumental managerial effort from Ole to get a title challenge out of his squad. That team has flaws all over; even if Varane turns out to be a success they've a weak goalkeeper and a terrible central midfield. Lots of attacking quality, but it's very difficult to see them compete with City and Liverpool.

I've defended Ole in the past, but I would be less surprised if Arsenal finished above United, than if United finished above both City and Liverpool. I think that Solsjaer has his strengths and is a decent manager, but that Arteta has a much clearer footballing vision, and a much higher ceiling.

Post #532451  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:42 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:

There are rumours Chelsea and Man City are in for him, and if that's true we don't have a chance I'd assume. But in general, I think people tend to underestimate just how big a draw the Premier League is. CL football is a draw too obviously, but Arsenal are still considered a big club. We managed to sign Partey after finishing 8th in the league, and he was a starter for an Atletico Madrid side that have challenged for, and won, big titles in recent seasons.

I think there is something going on with how Arteta and Edu are able to convince players of the 'project' we have here. Lokonga talked about buying in to it and being told we're building around younger players and giving them a platform. The Partey deal you mentioned really shouldn't have been able to be done considering his status and our immediate position at the time. Also convincing Smith-Rowe, Tierney, Saka and Balogun to all sign long term deals with the club.
Of course, money talks and I'm sure all these players are being richly rewarded for committing to us but you would like to think there is still something big about the Arsenal name. Two 8th placed finishes, but the stadium and fan base is still huge and we still have won trophies even in our lowest moments.

Post #532452  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:52 pm 

socrates wrote:
We keep being linked with very good players, the latest in a long line being Lautaro Martinez from Inter.

Obviously the Martinez one is unlikely given our lack of CL football but I just wonder if there is something else going on, in that the Kroenkes are prepared to do something big this summer.

One thing we do have going for us is that some of the usual suspects who bid for these kind of players are out of the running due to financial pressures. Madrid, Barca, the italian clubs, maybe even Bayern are unable or unwilling to spend big. I even read that Liverpool are not going to be signing any more players this summer, though I take that with a pinch of salt.

This may be a real opportunity for clubs who do have money to get players they might normally face too much competition for.

Two possibilities. One is the Stan isn't quite the tightwad people think, and can see that Arsenal are a good investment and that market conditions are excellent for strengthening the squad.

The other is that quite a few players are looking at Arsenal and thinking we are a bit of a sleeping giant that is showing signs of waking up, and thinking they'd like to be part of that. As you say, an interesting project.

Both are a bit tenuous, particular given how competitive the league is and how hard it will be to get back into the Champions league, let alone win the EPL, but not beyond the realms of possibility.

Post #532453  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:22 pm 

I agree it feels like we are having quite a progressive summer.

I’ve said previously I thought Kroenke would have have a decent summer to deflect from the mismanagement of the club over the last few years, it’s *%^@ or bust for him with the fans who now know we are in the wilderness.

Also it’s similar with his own relationship with Arteta. How could Kroenke say to Arteta he was given every opportunity with the state of the squad last year. Totally inadequate, patched up with loans, no reserve keeper for half, no attacking midfielder for half. Wouldn’t surprise me if the manger hit the owner with an ultimatum that you fix this or I’m off.

Post #532454  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:30 pm 

We spent £75m last summer and £130m the summer before. It's amazing that the "we won't spend money" narrative still persists.

Post #532455  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:36 pm 

dec wrote:
We spent £75m last summer and £130m the summer before. It's amazing that the "we won't spend money" narrative still persists.

The problem has never been spending money, it’s always been signing the totally wrong players, TOTALLY mismanaging contracts and selling poorly.

Post #532456  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:43 pm 

dec wrote:

People tend to read a lot from what is in fact a rather meagre supply of tea-leaves, that they do.

Post #532457  Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:48 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

The problem has never been spending money, it’s always been signing the totally wrong players, TOTALLY mismanaging contracts and selling poorly.

Yes, you are making an important distinction. And I think you have also pointed to the issue being not so much Stan as Jr. Also, Arteta finding his feet. Hopefully we are starting to get it right now. More Pepes and fewer Willians, and more reliance on the younger players coming though.

Post #532458  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:12 am 

dec wrote:

Arsenal should be one of the richest clubs in the world. I see people suggest we’re hard up. We shouldn’t be. Arsenal have one of the biggest fan bases in world football. We also have one of the biggest grounds with the highest (as far as I’m aware) ticket prices. We also have one of the wealthiest owners, but that’s not a factor as I believe he won’t spend his own money on it.

But the last thing Arsenal should be is hard up. We should be big spenders.

Post #532459  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:17 am 

I'm wondering out loud how lack of European football has affected our transfer targets. I'm guessing they will see it as temporary. Lack of CL football is significant but we have gotten players interested with just Europa Cup football.

Post #532460  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:48 am 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:

Arsenal should be one of the richest clubs in the world. I see people suggest we’re hard up. We shouldn’t be. Arsenal have one of the biggest fan bases in world football. We also have one of the biggest grounds with the highest (as far as I’m aware) ticket prices. We also have one of the wealthiest owners, but that’s not a factor as I believe he won’t spend his own money on it.

But why wouldn't he? Even if he has absolutely no regard for the club (which is an unknown), he is a business man. As you note, we are a huge club (Arsenal shirts are almost as popular as any other around here, for example), our stadium is one of the best located stadiums in the world, etc. But our brand will diminish quickly if we don't do something fairly soon to attract new fans in markets like the US, China, India, etc.

I think we are looking like a very good investment at the moment. Furthermore it is a bit of a buyers market transfer wise. If I was an owner, I would feel that Arteta is worth taking a punt on.

Post #532461  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:52 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I'm wondering out loud how lack of European football has affected our transfer targets. I'm guessing they will see it as temporary. Lack of CL football is significant but we have gotten players interested with just Europa Cup football.

Whether or not it's temporary is the big question. That is not an independent variable. It is absolutely up to us to make the necessary investment. The return would be huge, although the risk is pretty big considering how intense the competition for CL places is in the EPL.

Post #532462  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:26 am 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

But why wouldn't he? Even if he has absolutely no regard for the club (which is an unknown), he is a business man. As you note, we are a huge club (Arsenal shirts are almost as popular as any other around here, for example), our stadium is one of the best located stadiums in the world, etc. But our brand will diminish quickly if we don't do something fairly soon to attract new fans in markets like the US, China, India, etc.

I think we are looking like a very good investment at the moment. Furthermore it is a bit of a buyers market transfer wise. If I was an owner, I would feel that Arteta is worth taking a punt on.

But Kronke is getting a good return on his investment by just sitting back and doing nothing. He’s got plenty of other business and sports interests so perhaps he sees Arsenal as the steady one that ticks over, why go for even more riches when it could also mean losing.

Post #532463  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:31 am 

The really hard thing with the Prem is toppling one of Man U, City, Chelsea or Liverpool to get back in the Champions League.
We’ve had good seasons and got 70+ points and still finished 5th.
In theory Liverpool are the easiest to catch because they are where they are down to incredibly smart transfer business and a top class coach, to maintain both of those things over a long time is tough. The other 3 have so much money they don’t really even need to be particularly smart with their business or have the best coach to still finish top 4. They may have the odd very poor season when we certainly need to capitalise but then another few hundred million and a new manager have proven to correct that pretty quickly.

Post #532464  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:32 am 

Pogba has only 1 year left on his deal, it would be quite funny if he sat it out and moved for free next year, so Man U will have lost a player they paid £80m for for free twice!

Post #532465  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:36 am 

I believe the value of kroenkes shareholding has increased in value something like 70 million per annum since his involvement in Arsenal. Don’t quote me on that I’m no Swiss ramble but I think that’s correct. It’s a good little earner for him.

If his priority is his investment whilst that amount is impressive I don’t think we will see him putting his hand in his pocket to fund the building of the team much due to the inflation of modern transfer pricing. Once in a blue moon it might make sense for him to sign a lower value player if it helps things tick along with his relationship with the fans and to preserve the value of his shareholding

His biggest problem is actually the fans of the club who see that he does nothing for his 70 million profit per year now.

Post #532466  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:19 am 

Rich wrote:
The really hard thing with the Prem is toppling one of Man U, City, Chelsea or Liverpool to get back in the Champions League.
We’ve had good seasons and got 70+ points and still finished 5th.
In theory Liverpool are the easiest to catch because they are where they are down to incredibly smart transfer business and a top class coach, to maintain both of those things over a long time is tough. The other 3 have so much money they don’t really even need to be particularly smart with their business or have the best coach to still finish top 4. They may have the odd very poor season when we certainly need to capitalise but then another few hundred million and a new manager have proven to correct that pretty quickly.

The thing is Arteta has a good record in games againest the 4 sides you mentioned. If we can get more consistent in games where we should be winning easily then we are on a good track. Despite all the criticism he seems to be a good tactical big game manager. We aren’t getting bullied in those games anymore

Post #532467  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:26 am 

Bernard wrote:
dec wrote:

But the last thing Arsenal should be is hard up. We should be big spenders.

We are big spenders. That is my point. Only Man Utd and Man City routinely spend more these days.

Post #532468  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:48 am 

I believe Arsenal missed a golden opportunity years ago when we were one of the richest clubs (cash wise) in the world.
I remember articles about our bank balance being the envy of football yet we were always a few players short to make us serious title contenders. Rather than spend when we had a clear competitive financial advantage we foolishly waited until the Premier League super-duper-mega TV contract kicked in. Surprise surpise, player prices went up as did everyone elses ability to buy them and we lost our financial advantage. Today, I think we are in a situation where the obscene wealth of the Kroenkes gives them a perfect opportunity to fund a rebuild of the team in a clearly covid-depressed football market. Lets hope they take it.

Post #532469  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:55 am 

dec wrote:
We are big spenders. That is my point. Only Man Utd and Man City routinely spend more these days.

I think the money the Kroenke's have spent should have been enough if they also hadn't simultaneously mismanaged us. We all know the hundreds of millions we have literally given away in wages and allowing players to leave for free.

Post #532470  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:59 am 

dec wrote:

Have to add Chelsea to that. Even considering they had an entire summer where they couldn't sign anyone they are close to Arsenal in net spend, and in terms of just expenditure they are way ahead of us. Even Aston Villa are ahead of us in net spend over the last five years, and Everton are close.

Post #532471  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:50 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

His biggest problem is actually the fans of the club who see that he does nothing for his 70 million profit per year now.

That's my point. If he's a half decent business man (and he clearly is) he will understand that the fan is ultimately at the base of the revenue flow. Ultimately it is about eyes on screens, bums in seats, and punters buying merchandise.

Watching journeyman players get us to 7th or 8th in the league, is just not going to cut it for the kid in Soweto, LA, Beijing or Delhi, trying to decide which club to support. Hook those kids, and you've got your hand in their pockets for life. Furthermore, you save that kid from the peril of potentially becoming a Spud's supporter. :laughing7: :laughing7:

As Bored notes, we missed a huge opportunity after 2004, when were were surely marketing gold. I did admire Wenger's principles, but it very clear in retrospect that 'growing ones own' is unrealistic and needs to be complemented by a transfer policy that targeted squad holes and world class players to take us to the next level.

I doubt that Kroenke hasn't heeded that lesson. Perhaps he is just a vulture capitalist (or maybe he does feel that breaking into the top four is unrealistic) who want to milk us as we decline.

I'm not convinced. Unfortunately we will just have to wait and see.

Post #532472  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:57 am 

Few reports emerging of the breakdown of Ben White's fee. £30m upfront, and £10m in each of the next two seasons with a further £5m in performance related add ons

Post #532473  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:59 am 

Bored wrote:
I believe Arsenal missed a golden opportunity years ago when we were one of the richest clubs (cash wise) in the world.
I remember articles about our bank balance being the envy of football yet we were always a few players short to make us serious title contenders. Rather than spend when we had a clear competitive financial advantage we foolishly waited until the Premier League super-duper-mega TV contract kicked in. Surprise surpise, player prices went up as did everyone elses ability to buy them and we lost our financial advantage. Today, I think we are in a situation where the obscene wealth of the Kroenkes gives them a perfect opportunity to fund a rebuild of the team in a clearly covid-depressed football market. Lets hope they take it.

Agreed, because it gradually went from '1 more top class player' to 2, then 3 then 5 then half a squad!

Post #532474  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:48 am 

There is meant to be a behind closed doors friendly with Watford today

Post #532475  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:50 am 

Decaf wrote:
That's my point. If he's a half decent business man (and he clearly is) he will understand that the fan is ultimately at the base of the revenue flow. Ultimately it is about eyes on screens, bums in seats, and punters buying merchandise.

Watching journeyman players get us to 7th or 8th in the league, is just not going to cut it for the kid in Soweto, LA, Beijing or Delhi, trying to decide which club to support. Hook those kids, and you've got your hand in their pockets for life. Furthermore, you save that kid from the peril of potentially becoming a Spud's supporter. :laughing7: :laughing7:

I doubt that Kroenke hasn't heeded that lesson. Perhaps he is just a vulture capitalist (or maybe he does feel that breaking into the top four is unrealistic) who want to milk us as we decline.

I'm not convinced. Unfortunately we will just have to wait and see.

I remember the day when Arsenal comfortably had the biggest fan base in London. We were third nationally behind Manchester United and Liverpool. Every estimate of worldwide fan base I see these days puts Chelsea ahead of us. It’s happened since Abramovich took over, for the reason you highlight in your second paragraph above.

What you say in your first paragraph above is correct. Kroenke is a good businessman; you don’t get that rich without being so. As you imply, he will also realise that fan base size is central to the club’s future prosperity.

Sadly, I wonder if that supports the suspicions you state in your penultimate paragraph above. Maybe he is a ‘vulture capitalist’, to use your terminology? If you’re not convinced either way, I would go a bit further as I can’t see anything that suggests he isn’t.

Post #532476  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:06 am 

dec wrote:
Well said!

Post #532477  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:51 am 

I watched the highlights from our 2017 FA Cup win against Chelsea yesterday, and was once again struck by just how weird Mertesacker's performance in that match was. He'd only played 37 minutes of football that entire season, but put in a man of the match performance in the final. Truly remarkable.

That got me thinking, and Mertesacker might be the most underrated Arsenal player during my time following the club. He divided opinion among Arsenal fan, and never seemed to get any credit from outside the club, but he was a great defender in my book. Not world class, but a true leader at the back, with that rare ability to make the whole defense better, raising the performance of every centre back he was paired with. Mertesacker in his peak would go straight into our current starting eleven in my opinion, and I'd have him over someone like Harry Maguire any day of the week.

There are a few other candidates for the title of most underrated Arsenal player since the mid-90's. Petit was probably underrated outside of Arsenal during his time here, but in retrospect I feel he now gets the credit he deserves from pundits and fans of other teams. I feel like Ramsey was always underrated by our own fans. Nacho Monreal had a few seasons where he flew under the radar as one of the leagues most solid full backs.

Who is the most underrated Arsenal player you've seen?

Post #532478  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:34 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
I watched the highlights from our 2017 FA Cup win against Chelsea yesterday, and was once again struck by just how weird Mertesacker's performance in that match was. He'd only played 37 minutes of football that entire season, but put in a man of the match performance in the final. Truly remarkable.

That got me thinking, and Mertesacker might be the most underrated Arsenal player during my time following the club. He divided opinion among Arsenal fan, and never seemed to get any credit from outside the club, but he was a great defender in my book. Not world class, but a true leader at the back, with that rare ability to make the whole defense better, raising the performance of every centre back he was paired with. Mertesacker in his peak would go straight into our current starting eleven in my opinion, and I'd have him over someone like Harry Maguire any day of the week.

There are a few other candidates for the title of most underrated Arsenal player since the mid-90's. Petit was probably underrated outside of Arsenal during his time here, but in retrospect I feel he now gets the credit he deserves from pundits and fans of other teams. I feel like Ramsey was always underrated by our own fans. Nacho Monreal had a few seasons where he flew under the radar as one of the leagues most solid full backs.

Paul Davis, Steve Williams, Anders Limpar in no particular order

Post #532479  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:36 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

Per's performance in that match was astonishing. Right up there with the great "famous back 5" at their best.

I think Romford Pele is massively underrated. Was huge for us in that 1998 midfield alongside Vieira, Petit and Overmars. Deceptively quick, good passer, great shot on him. Could play right side or central. Often portrayed (not least by himself) as the court jester but there was lot more to him than that.

Post #532480  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:54 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Peter Simpson - a great central defender, who played in an era when England had too many of them for him to get capped. He was also versatile - in the 1966/67 season he played in six positions, leading one journalist to call him "Odd Job Simpson". Fourteen years at our club - a legend in my eyes.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13309, 13310, 13311, 13312, 13313, 13314, 13315 ... 14269  Next