Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 114 guests

Post #548801  Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:18 pm 

Rog - Problems logging in as advised but worked this time from iPhone.

Post #548802  Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:21 pm 

Nightmares around passport renewal so I went early in the hope of getting away later in the year.

Renewed on line last Thursday - took 10 mins - new passport turned up this morning.

Johnson may be a tosser but that’s impressive.

Post #548803  Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:33 pm 

Laptop is working now.

Richarlison has never impressed me. He flattered to deceive at Watford and he certainly hasn't kicked on at Everton. Remember Everton paid (up to) £50m for his potential and he's been sold on 3 years later for not a lot more. That's not career progression.

Have to say I've often been impressed by Bissouma but he had a sexual assault charge hanging over his head. He may have been cleared but it still takes the gloss off him. At a reported £25m, it seems to me that Brighton were keen to get rid of him.

Post #548804  Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:40 pm 

Arsenal website
says Guendouzi stays at Marseille permanently.
Saliba back to Arsenal would be good business. Hope it happens.

Post #548805  Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:49 pm 

Zed wrote:
Arsenal website

Saliba's back at Arsenal, no?

Edit. He's been given the number 2 shirt.

Post #548806  Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:53 pm 

DHD wrote:
Nightmares around passport renewal so I went early in the hope of getting away later in the year.

Renewed on line last Thursday - took 10 mins - new passport turned up this morning.

Johnson may be a tosser but that’s impressive.

Glad it worked out well for you. My missus had the opposite experience trying to renew her passport. The incompetence of the passport service was actually rather impressive.

Post #548807  Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:22 pm 

Football history.

I’m on holiday in Oludeniz, Turkey, and this afternoon got chatting to an elderly Italian Juve fan who was in the stadium when Vaessen scored that goal.
I tried to tell him I was listening in my bedroom on BBC radio in Shrewsbury England, but I think that got lost in translation.

Post #548808  Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:37 pm 

Links with Lille midfielder Amadou Onana, defensive midfielder 6ft 5" - that'll please some people!

Post #548809  Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:21 pm 

Ornstein saying Utd are close to tying up a deal for Martinez. Just hope we have alternatives lined up as it seems we’ve missed out on two of our three key targets.

Post #548810  Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:39 pm 

Darren wrote:
Zed wrote:
Arsenal website

Saliba's back at Arsenal, no?

Edit. He's been given the number 2 shirt.

Saliba's no 2 shirt number was leaked online Darren.

Post #548811  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:20 am 

Just a hunch but honestly I could see Neymar ending up at Chelsea

There are no links about it at all but just strikes me as the type of thing that club would do. He’s pretty burned at PSG his wages are ridiculous. Many wouldn’t touch him.

Post #548812  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:39 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Being short as a CB is obviously a disadvantage, but there's so much more to being good in the air than height. Timing, athleticism, positioning... I'd rather have a CB who's a little short but aggressive, quick and good on the ball than a donkey like Maguire who is tall and strong but can't play a pass longer than three yards or carry the ball ten yards without tripping himself.

The thing is, athleticism, timing and positioning can be attributes of taller forwards and central defenders going up for free kicks and corners too. A 5ft 9in Martinez with timing, athleticism and positioning against six foot plus opponents with timing, athleticism and positioning will be at a disadvantage.

Mind you, according to Darren’s post about Ornstein’s comments, it’s probably all academic anyway. I guess with ten Hag, Manchester United were always going to have the advantage getting Martinez. As Darren implied, with Raphina also likely to go elsewhere (everything I’ve read suggests we were o better than third in his preferred destinations behind Barcelona and Chelsea), two of our alleged big targets won’t be recruited.

Myself, I think the last two months of the transfer window are vital for Arsenal. That’s regardless of Jesus arriving, which I firmly expect him to. As things stand, we’re not only miles behind City and Liverpool, but I have little or no confidence of matching Chelsea, Tottenham and Manchester United. If Kroenke has made the funds to buy all these targets available, then I reckon Edu and Arteta May well have some questions to answer.

Things can certainly change over the reminder of the transfer window. For us I think they have to.

Post #548813  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:48 am 

Looks like we’re out of Raphinha and Martinez. It is a tough one for the club because I’ve seen criticism that we didn’t just go in with a big serious bid but those same people would criticise the club for overpaying. Raphinha wanted Barca then Chelsea as his back up. Martinez with Ten Hag connections and Van Der Saar as the Ajax technical director wanting to help Man U rather than us meant they were both going to be difficult to do. We can only find that out by making those bids. You could say we’ve at least forced the others to pay too whack for them.

What we have seen is the club are willing to commit close to £100m on a left centre back and a winger.

We’ve found out pretty early in the window we can’t get those 2, we’ve already bagged 2 of our first choice targets and have plenty of time to get some more in.

I wonder if we might go back for Hickey or Zinchenko. On the right there are links to Gnabry (!), the closest player to Raphinha would be Diaby

The only concern I have is if the club don’t get their targets and fail to move some players on then whilst we might have taken a step forward with the squad there would still be pretty big weaknesses that could make it feel like another semi-transitional season until we can fill those gaps

Post #548814  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:11 am 

Different words Rich, but I can’t see a huge difference between your last post and my one before it.

Post #548815  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:31 am 

Rich wrote:
Looks like we’re out of Raphinha and Martinez. It is a tough one for the club because I’ve seen criticism that we didn’t just go in with a big serious bid but those same people would criticise the club for overpaying. Raphinha wanted Barca then Chelsea as his back up. Martinez with Ten Hag connections and Van Der Saar as the Ajax technical director wanting to help Man U rather than us meant they were both going to be difficult to do. We can only find that out by making those bids. You could say we’ve at least forced the others to pay too whack for them.

What we have seen is the club are willing to commit close to £100m on a left centre back and a winger.

We’ve found out pretty early in the window we can’t get those 2, we’ve already bagged 2 of our first choice targets and have plenty of time to get some more in.

I wonder if we might go back for Hickey or Zinchenko. On the right there are links to Gnabry (!), the closest player to Raphinha would be Diaby

The only concern I have is if the club don’t get their targets and fail to move some players on then whilst we might have taken a step forward with the squad there would still be pretty big weaknesses that could make it feel like another semi-transitional season until we can fill those gaps

Hi Rich,

As I said a couple of weeks ago, all those fans who were proclaiming this to be the greatest transfer window ever based on nothing more than links with quality players needed to take a breath. Links mean nothing until you actually get a deal over the line.

Like you, I wouldn't mind seeing Zaha coming in. OK, so he's nearly 30 and doesn't fit the age profile but he's quality PL proven and players are increasingly playing into their mid 30s these days.

I've read that the Tielemans deal has stalled because we are offering £25m and Leicester want £40-45m.

Raphina always felt opportunistic as his preferences were clear.

Martinez feels a bit different, maybe we could have got closer to their asking price quicker. Who knows how it played out. Was Edu too slow or was it just a deal Man U were always going to do because of the Ten Hag connection.

I just hope we have other quality targets to bring in.

Post #548816  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:37 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

As I said a couple of weeks ago, all those fans who were proclaiming this to be the greatest transfer window ever based on nothing more than links with quality players needed to take a breath. Links mean nothing until you actually get a deal over the line.

Like you, I wouldn't mind seeing Zaha coming in. OK, so he's nearly 30 and doesn't fit the age profile but he's quality PL proven and players are increasingly playing into their mid 30s these days.

I've read that the Tielemans deal has stalled because we are offering £25m and Leicester want £40-45m.

Raphina always felt opportunistic as his preferences were always clear.

Martinez feels a bit different, maybe we could have got closer to their asking price quicker. Who knows how it played out. Was Edu too slow or was it just a deal Man U were always going to do because of the Ten Hag connection.

Like we discussed all those players were never all coming. Not bothered about Martinez as I couldn’t honestly see where we were going to play him which probably is the reason why we didn’t meet their asking price which is a lot for a player with no obvious spot.

On wingers keep an eye on Pedro Neto at wolves. Shares the same agent as Fabio Vieira and we tried to sign him before when he was at braga.

Tielemans you must be right on. No way would that have been done by now if the fee is only 25. No brainier. That will go to the end of the window Leicester won’t sell their best player for that amount.

Post #548817  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:46 am 

Bernard wrote:
Different words Rich, but I can’t see a huge difference between your last post and my one before it.

Rich was slightly less pessimistic Bernard.

Post #548818  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:07 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Rich was slightly less pessimistic Bernard.

Fair point, though I did say not a ‘huge difference’ (imagine a smiley here). You used the word ‘slightly’ after all (imagine another smiley).

Post #548819  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:46 am 

So it looks like united are spending over 100 million on de jong, Martinez and the other guy. Pretty big spending.

I know literally nothing about de jong and if he moves the needle for them.

Post #548820  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:19 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
So it looks like united are spending over 100 million on de jong, Martinez and the other guy. Pretty big spending.

I know literally nothing about de jong and if he moves the needle for them.

De Jong is an excellent player and there's no way Barcelona would be selling him if they didn't have financial problems. He is certainly streets ahead of McTominay and Fred. How he would fit with Fernandes remains to be seen. There's also the Man U factor. So many good players simply don't work out there.

Post #548821  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:24 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Just a hunch but honestly I could see Neymar ending up at Chelsea

There are no links about it at all but just strikes me as the type of thing that club would do. He’s pretty burned at PSG his wages are ridiculous. Many wouldn’t touch him.

It might all change after the world cup. Brazil have a very good team this time around and while Neymar might phone in performances for PSG, he won't do that in a world cup for Brazil. It is an opportunity for redemption is a way. Whatever we think about him, he is outrageously talented.

Post #548822  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:35 am 

socrates wrote:

This is true, but it also works the opposite way. People who spend their days following transfer links get a skewed sense of reality in a way. Strong links to a player possibly moving to their club and they immeadiately start seeing new starting lineups, their team reaching the next level etc. And then the links break down and it's a disaster, the club is going nowhere and so on.

Personally, I don't see it as anything worth getting too worked up about. The important thing to me is that we're obviously looking to seriously strengthening the team - being prepared to pay 85-90m for Raphinha and Martinez on top of what we've already spent is a clear indication of that, and if we don't get those two particular players there are others out there. It would be a completely different thing if we miss out on them and end up signing nobody, but I would be very surprised if that happened.

Post #548823  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:55 am 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:

This is true, but it also works the opposite way. People who spend their days following transfer links get a skewed sense of reality in a way. Strong links to a player possibly moving to their club and they immeadiately start seeing new starting lineups, their team reaching the next level etc. And then the links break down and it's a disaster, the club is going nowhere and so on.

Personally, I don't see it as anything worth getting too worked up about. The important thing to me is that we're obviously looking to seriously strengthening the team - being prepared to pay 85-90m for Raphinha and Martinez on top of what we've already spent is a clear indication of that, and if we don't get those two particular players there are others out there. It would be a completely different thing if we miss out on them and end up signing nobody, but I would be very surprised if that happened.

Thanks Haz. You’ve cheered me up a bit there with your perspective.

I do hope that incomings are sorted out in time for the early start to the season though.

Post #548824  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:13 am 

Bernard wrote:

True. I sometimes log in and post without catching up on what I’ve missed.

Post #548825  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:28 am 

Every big team is signing players but it must be a huge statistical improbability that every single one of them improves.

in terms of moving the dial I would say Arsenal, Spurs and Man U will probably be doing that more than City, Liverpool and Chelsea come the end of the summer. Mainly due to the obvious gaps in each of our squads.

If you look at the existing players in the squad you’d be able to make a good case for our players having greater potential to move the dial than any of the other top 6 because of their age and because so many of our starting 11 were new to the club last year or year before. Think how many of our current best 11 were in the definite first 11 for us 2 years ago, not many!

Post #548826  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:31 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

Raphina always felt opportunistic as his preferences were clear.

So, that's the vibe among fans? Wow! I certainly wasn't thinking that but it seems some of us are possibly overoptimistic in my humble opinion.

That's how it is with the transfer window. Wild rumors. I have bought into that mania more than once so I can't be too harsh or be a hypocrite.

I would have been happy with a Bissouma and a very good striker who can give us minimally 15 EPL goals. But I am easy to please these days.

Post #548827  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:17 pm 

The Bologna left back hickey is going to Brentford. We were being linked with him so another one off the list.

Post #548828  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:19 pm 

Aaron Hickey to Brentford, £14m plus add ons. Remarkable, earlier in the window there was talk of £20-25m.

At that price and Brentford getting him you really have to believe that we’re not interested.

Post #548829  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:40 pm 

Part of the problem is we have all these players who we literally can’t sell for love nor money so we don’t know how much budget we can spare. I think the loan system devalues the player when they leave making virtually impossible to move them after. These clubs like Roma and Fiorentina are literally borrowing players they have no intention of buying

Surely ainsleys worth a punt at 10 million. Leno definitely worth 10 how has nobody snapped him up yet. Even Mari at 6 million euros is surely worth somebody taking a punt on. A serie A club can’t afford 4 million quid. What’s going on.

Post #548830  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:54 pm 

Apparently with Martinez Man U see him as a CB but Arsenal see him as a left back. He plays almost exclusively as a CB for Ajax and Argentina

Post #548831  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:51 pm 

Rich wrote:
Apparently with Martinez Man U see him as a CB but Arsenal see him as a left back. He plays almost exclusively as a CB for Ajax and Argentina

On the plus side at least it will be them trying to play in the Premier League with a midget centre half.

Post #548832  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:25 pm 

Arsenal played a behind closed doors friendly v Ipswich this afternoon, we won 5-1, Nketiah (3), Nelson and Balogun with the goals

Post #548833  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:05 pm 

I don’t understand how Barcelona are able to afford any players at all. They want Raphinha, Kounde and Lewandowski, that’s £150m. They are totally busy. I know they sold a portion of the tv money. Any smaller club would have been allowed to go to the wall with the terrible finances Barca have

Post #548834  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:05 pm 

After the Agbonlahor outburst, yet more criticism of White. This time on talkSPORT. They were discussing Manchester United and there was someone (sounded like a celebrity fan but no idea who it was, or even if it was) being interviewed. They asked him what the big priorities were for them this window.

He said two new central defenders as Maguire and Varane are both rubbish (or whatever words he used). He qualified that by saying Varane could be decent alongside a dominant centre half. To which the talkSPORT presenter or interviewer said ‘not Ben White then?’

Post #548835  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:39 pm 

Rich wrote:
I don’t understand how Barcelona are able to afford any players at all. They want Raphinha, Kounde and Lewandowski, that’s £150m. They are totally busy. I know they sold a portion of the tv money. Any smaller club would have been allowed to go to the wall with the terrible finances Barca have

Defies belief.

Barca president Joan Laporta revealed in August 2021, shortly after Messi’s emotional departure to Paris Saint-Germain, that the club’s debts had risen to €1.35 billion (£1.13bn/$1.42bn).

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/how-muc ... f3b65ee387

Post #548836  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:41 pm 

Rich wrote:
Arsenal played a behind closed doors friendly v Ipswich this afternoon, we won 5-1, Nketiah (3), Nelson and Balogun with the goals

Arsenal first-half team: Bernd Leno, Hector Bellerin, Ben White, Pablo Mari, Cédric, Thomas Partey, Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Sambi Lokonga, Nicolas Pépé, Eddie Nketiah, Reiss Nelson. 4-0 up at half time

Second half team all youngsters

Post #548837  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:35 pm 

Rich wrote:

So, revenge for the '78 FA cup final disguised as a friendly then? Genius. Pure genius.

Post #548838  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:37 pm 

Rich wrote:
I don’t understand how Barcelona are able to afford any players at all.

The same way America was able to afford 20 trillion on 2 wars over 20 years. Borrowed money.

Post #548839  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:39 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Defies belief.

Barca president Joan Laporta revealed in August 2021, shortly after Messi’s emotional departure to Paris Saint-Germain, that the club’s debts had risen to €1.35 billion (£1.13bn/$1.42bn).

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/how-muc ... f3b65ee387

Is Barca too big to fail? There are certian countries, companies that for whatever reason the powers that be won't let fail. Perhaps in football there some clubs that the league, UEFA or whomever, behind the scenes, deem too important/big to fail? Something is worked out behind the scenes.

Sounds a bit mad but it exists in other institutions.

Post #548840  Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:57 pm 

So ronaldo met with the chelsea owner and has now put in a transfer request 2 weeks later, he’s 38 in February

Football is ridiculous and he’s a massive Bellend. Only cares about himself

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13718, 13719, 13720, 13721, 13722, 13723, 13724 ... 14269  Next