Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Googlebot, warrior and 102 guests

Post #532801  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:21 am 

Rich wrote:
Arsenal are supposedly offering any of Nketiah, AMN, Nelson or Willock to Leicester in a player plus cash deal to try to get Maddison. No surprise that Leicester don't want any players who can't get in a team that finished below them for the past 2 seasons. They want straight cash and it would be £60-70m. I'd walk away from that, the cost is too high.

If City sign Grealish then maybe Arteta could tempt Bernardo Silva away with a bid. I really like him as a player

Hi Rich,

Who do we go after then? Martinez seems like it's gone (if it was ever even an option), Ødegaard is staying at Real. Aouar is available but we seem to have lost interest after last years protracted negotiotions (plus his brother and entourage feel like something we could do with out).

I read that Edu is trying to do a double deal for Sander Berge and Aaron Ramsdale, which feels a tad underwhelming.

It's getting late in the window and we've signed 1 actual upgrade on a first teamer.

It seems to have gone quiet on the Camavinga front, would he be an option or are we too far below his required level?

Post #532802  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:24 am 

socrates wrote:
Years of poor recruitment and excessive wages has come back to bite us on the arse big time.

What I don't get about this whole situation is that I don't think all of the players we're looking to sell this summer are that bad, or on massive wages. Willian, Bellerin and Kolasinac are the three players we're looking to get rid off whose wages are probably making it difficult, but Maitland-Niles, Willock, Nketiah and Nelson are all talented, young and I think all of them make less than 40k per week.

Torreira's reported wage is something like 75k per week, and even though his career hasn't panned out at Arsenal he's still a good player and only 25 years old. We definitely should be able to sell at least those five.

Post #532803  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:38 am 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:
Years of poor recruitment and excessive wages has come back to bite us on the arse big time.

What I don't get about this whole situation is that I don't think all of the players we're looking to sell this summer are that bad, or on massive wages. Willian, Bellerin and Kolasinac are the three players we're looking to get rid off whose wages are probably making it difficult, but Maitland-Niles, Willock, Nketiah and Nelson are all talented, young and I think all of them make less than 40k per week.

Torreira's reported wage is something like 75k per week, and even though his career hasn't panned out at Arsenal he's still a good player and only 25 years old. We definitely should be able to sell at least those five.

Hi Haz,

It seems that few teams want to do anything much more than loans with an option to buy because its obviously the least risk option for clubs with financial worries.

The market for the very best players is still there because many top clubs still have money, especially those being bankrolled, but I guess to many smaller clubs even a 40k pw salary and £15m transfer fee is a stretch in the current climate.

Post #532804  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:42 am 

Rich wrote:
Fofana of Leicester has a suspected leg break in a friendly tonight. Awful tackle from the Villarreal player. It is a pre season friendly!

Not as bad but the tackle on Partey was a bit naughty and it will likely keep him out for the start of the season

That's a disgrace and presumably Leicester will be forced into the market for a CB for next season. That's probably a £20m+ outlay because of one reckless and premeditated tackle in a meaningless friendly.

Post #532805  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:48 am 

Rich wrote:
Fofana of Leicester has a suspected leg break in a friendly tonight. Awful tackle from the Villarreal player. It is a pre season friendly!

Not as bad but the tackle on Partey was a bit naughty and it will likely keep him out for the start of the season

Post #532806  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:06 am 

https://www.football365.com/news/arsena ... le-willock

Post #532807  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:41 am 

socrates wrote:
Someone made a good point on twitter........the transfer window has been open 57 days are we are yet to receive a single penny in actual transfer fees during what is supposed to be the biggest clear-out in years.

We can't get rid, nobody is able or willing to pay the combination of transfer fees and wages it would take to buy the deadwood we want rid of.

Not sure there is anything Edu can do, he can't magic up buyers where there are none unless he drops the asking prices to absurdly low levels where clubs would be foolish to turn it down.

It’s an impossible scenario for Arsenal. A policy needs to be put in place that they won’t offer a weekly wage over 100k unless the player is absolutely exceptional. The player will never agree to a pay cut to move and will sit on their excessive contracts causing problems.

I can’t see Kolasinac, Torreira or Willian leaving unless we terminate their contracts or agree to cover a solid proportion of their wages at their new club.

I’m a little surprised nobody is interested in Lacazette who on his day can be a decent player and connect play well. His contract is 182 k a week which is pretty huge money though. I’m surprised Arsenal haven’t considered offering him a 12 month extension like Xhaka. Would suit all parties.

Post #532808  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:10 am 

socrates wrote:
Someone made a good point on twitter........the transfer window has been open 57 days are we are yet to receive a single penny in actual transfer fees during what is supposed to be the biggest clear-out in years.

We can't get rid, nobody is able or willing to pay the combination of transfer fees and wages it would take to buy the deadwood we want rid of.

Not sure there is anything Edu can do, he can't magic up buyers where there are none unless he drops the asking prices to absurdly low levels where clubs would be foolish to turn it down.

But have we learnt our lesson about excessive wages. The talk of offering Xhaka a contract extension with increased wages is a case in point. Every contract change should not be offering CL wages but reveal the reality of our situation. You can make bonuses if they achieve CL status. Helps focus the mind on what is required.

Post #532809  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:30 am 

It is scandalous.

Bellerin is on 110k a week

That’s 20 grand a week more than Wan Bissaka at United
30k more a week than Trippier
And staggeringly 35k a week more than Alexander Arnold.

What *%^@*** idiot gave these players these contracts. The funniest thing is that the players want to leave anyway despite being in no way worth their weekly wages with zero realisation they won’t get it elsewhere.

We are paying super money for very average players.

Post #532810  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:55 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
It is scandalous.

What *%^@*** idiot gave these players these contracts. The funniest thing is that the players want to leave anyway despite being in no way worth their weekly wages with zero realisation they won’t get it elsewhere.

That is based on contract TAA signed when he was 20 years old. He signed a new deal in the last week which will be around the £200pw mark.

This is far from unique to Arsenal. It is a PL issue. Richest league in the world pays the highest wages. Joel Matip is on £100k and contracted to 2024. James Milner on £140k. Sqyad players. Man U are paying out c£400k pw to DeGea and £100k to Henderson. That's some outlay on keepers. Fred was a £50m transfer and over £100k pw. Martial is on a staggering £250k pw.

Willian's contract is a far far worse piece of business than the extension Bellerin got a couple of years ago.

Post #532811  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:16 am 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
It is scandalous.

That is based on contract TAA signed when he was 20 years old. He signed a new deal in the last week which will be around the £200pw mark.

This is far from unique to Arsenal. It is a PL issue. Richest league in the world pays the highest wages. Joel Matip is on £100k and contracted to 2024. James Milner on £140k. Sqyad players. Man U are paying out c£400k pw to DeGea and £100k to Henderson. That's some outlay on keepers. Fred was a £50m transfer and over £100k pw. Martial is on a staggering £250k pw.

Willian's contract is a far far worse piece of business than the extension Bellerin got a couple of years ago.

I know what you mean but your referencing players who are in the champions league and winning titles and European cups. United accepted but even they are in Europe.

It’s not a problem if you are in the champions league. With some of our losers ? No chance mate,

Post #532812  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:35 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I know what you mean but your referencing players who are in the champions league and winning titles and European cups. United accepted but even they are in Europe.

It’s not a problem if you are in the champions league. With some of our losers ? No chance mate,

I think the comparison with Man Utd is relevant actually. They haven't been more successful than us in recent years - their last title was Europa League in 2016/2017 when the best team they faced that entire campaign was Ajax in the final. With the amount of money they've spent they should be challenging for big titles but they're not even close.

The main difference between them and us is they have more financial power to absorb bad contracts, but just like us they're stuck paying big wages to useless plodders like Fred and Matic, and decent but not great players like De Gea and Wan-Bissaka. I'm sure they'd like to get rid of all four if they could.

Post #532813  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:47 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

That's a disgrace and presumably Leicester will be forced into the market for a CB for next season. That's probably a £20m+ outlay because of one reckless and premeditated tackle in a meaningless friendly.

If they are socrates, will that increase Leicester’s eagerness to sell Maddison? If so, for perhaps a more realistic price than the £70m I’ve seen quoted recently?

Post #532814  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:55 am 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think the comparison with Man Utd is relevant actually. They haven't been more successful than us in recent years - their last title was Europa League in 2016/2017 when the best team they faced that entire campaign was Ajax in the final. With the amount of money they've spent they should be challenging for big titles but they're not even close.

The main difference between them and us is they have more financial power to absorb bad contracts, but just like us they're stuck paying big wages to useless plodders like Fred and Matic, and decent but not great players like De Gea and Wan-Bissaka. I'm sure they'd like to get rid of all four if they could.

They regularly consecutively qualify for the champions league which can net them anything up to what 40-70 million if you go on a decent run beyond the group stages.

The glory of our recent fa cup win (which let’s be honest was something of an anomaly) excluded I’d probably swap places with them and I bet our manager would in a heartbeat and board 1 million percent. Which all takes you back to the original point. We are paying champions league money to average players.

Post #532815  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:16 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

If they are socrates, will that increase Leicester’s eagerness to sell Maddison? If so, for perhaps a more realistic price than the £70m I’ve seen quoted recently?

Not necessarily. Leicester are reported to be looking for a loan (and are taking into account what happens when Fofana and Evans return).

Post #532816  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:14 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

But you agree that we are not likely to have much chance of getting back into the CL unless we compete with the wages and transfers the big four are paying? And if you do pay big, you are bound to have expensive, hard to move on, flops. Its a dope or die world.

Post #532817  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:20 pm 

socrates wrote:

The final days of the window will be interesting. I think a lot of interested clubs are waiting for the panic-discounts Arsenal will offer.

Post #532818  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:23 pm 

warrior wrote:
Rich wrote:

I am so angry watching this. That Villareal player should be banned. Not just the tackle, but the follow through also showed intent to injure.

Post #532819  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:29 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
warrior wrote:

I am so angry watching this. That Villareal player should be banned. Not just the tackle, but the follow through also showed intent to injure.

Also it was totally premeditated. It’s basically assault.

Would be totally forgiven if a Leicester player put one on him after that.

Post #532820  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:38 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

But you agree that we are not likely to have much chance of getting back into the CL unless we compete with the wages and transfers the big four are paying? And if you do pay big, you are bound to have expensive, hard to move on, flops. Its a dope or die world.

You can get the balance right. If you sign obvious talents they will command a big wage but it can be balanced. Leicester have only 3 players on over 100k a week.

Post #532821  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:53 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

You can get the balance right. If you sign obvious talents they will command a big wage but it can be balanced. Leicester have only 3 players on over 100k a week.

Arsenal is a much bigger club. Leicester with the possibility of CL or even if they had CL qualification doesn't trump Arsenal. We are a very big name and a wealthy club. It stands to reason that we would pay higher wages than everyone except for the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool and Chelsea. We are on a par with Liverpool and Chelsea and well behind the other two. City are the only ones who seem to be CL guaranteed these days.

Also, it is hard to see how the contracts to Bellerin, Kolasinac and Torreira are a massive constraint when we just spent £50m on an inexperienced centreback and will pay him £120k pw.

Post #532822  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:06 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Arsenal is a much bigger club. Leicester with the possibility of CL or even if they had CL qualification doesn't trump Arsenal. We are a very big name and a wealthy club. It stands to reason that we would pay higher wages than everyone except for the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool and Chelsea. We are on a par with Liverpool and Chelsea and well behind the other two. City are the only ones who seem to be CL guaranteed these days.

Not correct. Look how regularly United have qualified for europe.

Kinda diverting from the original point again. We are paying champions league wages for players not good enough to qualify for it. Anywhere near, you will find better right backs getting paid half of what bellerin does.

Post #532823  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

They regularly consecutively qualify for the champions league which can net them anything up to what 40-70 million if you go on a decent run beyond the group stages.

The glory of our recent fa cup win (which let’s be honest was something of an anomaly) excluded I’d probably swap places with them and I bet our manager would in a heartbeat and board 1 million percent. Which all takes you back to the original point. We are paying champions league money to average players.

The usual. CL wages on an EL budget. And Arsenal aren't even in the EL yet. :angel4:

Post #532824  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:41 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Also it was totally premeditated. It’s basically assault.

Would be totally forgiven if a Leicester player put one on him after that.

I saw a video of Fofana putting a robust but fair tackle in on the same player minutes earlier in the game. The Villarreal player rolled around in pain and was clearly not happy about it because this was retribution

Post #532825  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:43 pm 

Read an interesting take on our Maddison interest. Should we be handing £60m+ to a team who have proven to be very smart in the transfer market and who we also need to finish ahead of to have what most Arsenal fans would consider a successful season?

Post #532826  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:00 pm 

Current news is Messi will NOT sign his new deal with Barcelona. Messi is currently a free agent….but with the wages he’s being paid you’d have to form out the thick end of £25m a season for him. Only City and PSG can really afford that. Maybe he wants to go to America - which would be a cop out.

Post #532827  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:06 pm 

Rich wrote:
Current news is Messi will NOT sign his new deal with Barcelona. Messi is currently a free agent….but with the wages he’s being paid you’d have to form out the thick end of £25m a season for him. Only City and PSG can really afford that. Maybe he wants to go to America - which would be a cop out.

Silent Stan could afford it :laughing7: Got to be worth it for the marketing alone.

Post #532828  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:30 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

Kinda diverting from the original point again. We are paying champions league wages for players not good enough to qualify for it. Anywhere near, you will find better right backs getting paid half of what bellerin does.

Man Utd finished 6th as recently as 2019. Behind us.

We have gone backwards in the last two seasons and it isn't down to wages. Even with Özil on his monstrous wage, we broke our transfer record. We are still very competitive in the transfer market. Not so on the pitch, though.

Post #532829  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:36 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

We have gone backwards in the last two seasons and it isn't down to wages. Even with Özil on his monstrous wage, we broke our transfer record. We are still very competitive in the transfer market. Not so on the pitch, though.

They are in the champions league this year and we weren’t good enough to get a Europa place, I can’t contain all the glory we are experiencing. :laughing7:

If you can’t see how damaging it was for the club paying 350 k a week for Özil to sit on the bench then I’m speechless.

Post #532830  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:26 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
socrates wrote:

The final days of the window will be interesting. I think a lot of interested clubs are waiting for the panic-discounts Arsenal will offer.

Not vice versa?

Post #532831  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:29 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

It will be very interesting to see if Leicester will still be in the right half of the EPL in a few years. They are going through a purple patch (albeit a admirably protracted one) but translating that to a permanent seat at the top table (or at least the Spuds kiddies table just below the adults) is another matter.

Post #532832  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:33 pm 

https://twitter.com/avfcofficial/status ... 42146?s=21

This is decent from Villa CEO, that’s how you communicate with your fans. Not all fans will agree with what you do but be open and honest and clear in your strategy

Post #532833  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:36 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
dec wrote:

They are in the champions league this year and we weren’t good enough to get a Europa place, I can’t contain all the glory we are experiencing. :laughing7:

If you can’t see how damaging it was for the club paying 350 k a week for Özil to sit on the bench then I’m speechless.

Nobody is saying that having expensive players who aren't pulling their weight isn't a problem. Cherry picking the ignominous end to Özil's Arsenal career proves nothing. All of the big clubs have flops.

And our form in the second half of the season wasn't that bad at all. So that is another non-argument.

Post #532834  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:39 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Silent Stan could afford it :laughing7: Got to be worth it for the marketing alone.

But maybe not for the drama. Imagine the stink if he develops a taste for steak and pidney pudding and has to dropped ...

Post #532835  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:46 pm 

Rich wrote:

He's a merchandising dream for any team. Becks was bought to sell shirts at Real Madrid and he paid for his wage.
China is hungry for credibility. Basketball is huge there and they have been trying to get NBA players on the back end of their career to go there as well as nicking a young player or two. I can see a team there paying Messi an uber salary as a way to reinvigorate the league post Covid19.

Post #532836  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:59 pm 

Rich wrote:

If Messi goes to America I’ll be happy enough. It’ll keep him outside the news more than staying at Barcelona or joining City would.

On another site the first fake photo of Messi in an Arsenal shirt has already appeared.

Post #532837  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:25 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Nobody is saying that having expensive players who aren't pulling their weight isn't a problem. Cherry picking the ignominous end to Özil's Arsenal career proves nothing. All of the big clubs have flops.

And our form in the second half of the season wasn't that bad at all. So that is another non-argument.

Eh ? Who mentioned our form in the 2nd half of the season. Not me.

Post #532838  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Eh ? Who mentioned our form in the 2nd half of the season. Not me.

You said we weren't good enough to get a European place. I'm suggesting you need to qualify that, if the point at issue is whether we are a terribly run club full of poor, overpaid players. Pretty easy to understand, I would have thought?

Post #532839  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:07 pm 

In other news, the Harry Kane no show saga continues, while he's still hunkered down in Florida.

Post #532840  Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

If Messi goes to America I’ll be happy enough. It’ll keep him outside the news more than staying at Barcelona or joining City would.

On another site the first fake photo of Messi in an Arsenal shirt has already appeared.

:14laughter:

Attachments:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13318, 13319, 13320, 13321, 13322, 13323, 13324 ... 14269  Next