Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 101 guests

Post #532481  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:55 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Who is the most underrated Arsenal player you've seen?

Some of the underrated players probably tend to have been part of very successful teams but were overshadowed by true superstars of the game, but only with time and context of weaker teams you realise how good they were.

Post #532482  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:03 pm 

So lets assume the Ben White deal is done we'll have a right sided CB, a back up LB and a centre mid all bought in. If no-one leaves then the only positions we would need anyone is back up GK and a creative midfielder as the numbers aren't right in those 2 positions let alone the quality. On the assumption that Xhaka will leave then we will also need another central midfielder to partner Partey, with Lokonga and Elneny being the back ups.

Then looking at other departures there are two categories, players we just need to shift off the books even if it is for free, and players who we can sell to facilitate further incomings.

Players who we really need to get rid of would be Kolasinac, Willian and Runnarson
Players who could be sold without the need of buying a replacement would be: Bellerin, Nketiah, Nelson, Willock, AMN, Torreira (my view is we should get an average of £15m per man for each of these - that would offset the White, Lokonga, Tavares signings with £10m profit)
I'd like a new right back if Bellerin went but we'd still have Chambers and Cédric on the books. (There was talk of a loan for Cédric - which if he and Bellerin went and a new RB came in would be ideal for me)

Still plenty of work to do and I expect us to be busy right until the last day

Post #532483  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:03 pm 

Sagna. Superbly consistent fullback. He had Walcott in front of him half the time so was effectively marshaling that right hand side of the pitch on his own.

Also, in a strange way, David O'Leary. Our record appearance holder and an absolutely first class defender but really doesn't get mentioned that much when we are talking about past greats.

Post #532484  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:07 pm 

Friendly v Watford. Leno, Tavares, Lokonga, Willian, Nelson, Nketiah, Aubameyang all start. Not seen the rest of the team.

Post #532485  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:13 pm 

dec wrote:
Sagna. Superbly consistent fullback. He had Walcott in front of him half the time so was effectively marshaling that right hand side of the pitch on his own.

Good shout. Not much about him stood out apart from his hair, but he was remarkably solid and consistent during seven years at the club. Great in the air for a guy who was just 5ft9 as well.

Post #532486  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:13 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
I watched the highlights from our 2017 FA Cup win against Chelsea yesterday, and was once again struck by just how weird Mertesacker's performance in that match was. He'd only played 37 minutes of football that entire season, but put in a man of the match performance in the final. Truly remarkable.

Yep, it was just the average Arsenal big-match scenario, with three of your first-choice centre-backs out: Koscielny suspended, and Mustafi and Old Gabriel injured. What could go wrong? That's a great question, Haz, but more specifically, as a one-off, back-from-the-dead (or treatment room) appearance, can anyone think of a more staggeringly amazing performance (ever? going back to the LTG and Hoy Georgian era?) for Arsenal than Mertesacker's that day? I'm struggling.

Post #532487  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:52 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
I watched the highlights from our 2017 FA Cup win against Chelsea yesterday, and was once again struck by just how weird Mertesacker's performance in that match was. He'd only played 37 minutes of football that entire season, but put in a man of the match performance in the final. Truly remarkable.

Yep, it was just the average Arsenal big-match scenario, with three of your first-choice centre-backs out: Koscielny suspended, and Mustafi and Old Gabriel injured. What could go wrong? That's a great question, Haz, but more specifically, as a one-off, back-from-the-dead (or treatment room) appearance, can anyone think of a more staggeringly amazing performance (ever? going back to the LTG and Hoy Georgian era?) for Arsenal than Mertesacker's that day? I'm struggling.

It’s not understated but Tony Adams served 58 days in Chelmsford Prison in the same season we won the title right ? Not sure if that would even be possible these days. That’s literally back from the dead.

As a one off appearances Paul Davis performance in Copenhagen was Impressive as I think he was 34 or 35 and clearly well past his best but dealt with the midfield onslaught very well.

I also recall a final or semi final where we had to play David Oleary at right back of all places when he again was well past his best and everyone was sh1%%&ng themselves about the prospect and he put in a spectacular performance I vaguely recall. ( might be Sheffield Wednesday league cup)

Post #532488  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:35 pm 

Fabrizio Romano tweeting that Ben White is a done deal 100%.

Post #532489  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:06 pm 

dec wrote:
Also, in a strange way, David O'Leary. Our record appearance holder and an absolutely first class defender but really doesn't get mentioned that much when we are talking about past greats.

I think O’Leary is seen as a truly great central defender, so am surprised you mention him.

I would agree with every word OMOH says about Simpson. He, McLintock and O’Leary may not get into my best ever Arsenal team, but they are serious competition for Keown for a place on the sub’s bench (Campbell and Adams are my first two). I’m not sure many people see McLintock and Simpson as that, but to be honest dec, I think O’Leary is.

Post #532490  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:09 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

Has Ornstein? If not, perhaps it’ll be confirmed on Arsenal.com tomorrow as he normally gets things right on the day.

Post #532491  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:23 pm 

I don't want to jinx it but we may have come away from that server move unscathed. :58big-emoticons:

Post #532492  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:43 pm 

I've just optimised the PHP tables. I believe things should be faster now.

Rog ...

Post #532493  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:47 pm 

warrior wrote:

Rog ...

Nice one Rog :53big-emoticons:

Post #532494  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:49 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Has Ornstein? If not, perhaps it’ll be confirmed on Arsenal.com tomorrow as he normally gets things right on the day.

Nothing from Ornstein thus far Bernard.

Post #532495  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:53 pm 

warrior wrote:
I don't want to jinx it but we may have come away from that server move unscathed. :58big-emoticons:

Attachments:

Post #532496  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:31 pm 

Not totally sure but I think Arsenal beat Watford 4-1 earlier today. Seen lots of snippets of info but can't actually find out if that's what the final score was.
Seems like our goalscorers were Nketiah, Lacazette(pen), Tierney and Azeez

From what I can gather from those who have watched all pre-season games the feeling is Partey is ready to step up responsibility and have a monster season, Lokonga looks really good and dynamic always looking to move the ball forward, Tavares physically good but raw and can make mistakes, Nelson not looking as sharp as he should if he wants a move and Lacazette looking good.....oh and Azeez might just be ready to help the first team (seems to have put on muscle and developed physically over the summer)

Post #532497  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:38 pm 

Rich wrote:
Not totally sure but I think Arsenal beat Watford 4-1 earlier today. Seen lots of snippets of info but can't actually find out if that's what the final score was.

From what I can gather from those who have watched all pre-season games the feeling is Partey is ready to step up responsibility and have a monster season, Lokonga looks really good and dynamic always looking to move the ball forward, Tavares physically good but raw and can make mistakes, Nelson not looking as sharp as he should if he wants a move and Lacazette looking good.....oh and Azeez might just be ready to help the first team (seems to have put on muscle and developed physically over the summer)

Report on Arsenal app.

Never thought that I’d read these words:

It was a fast start by Mikel Arteta's side, too, who stormed into an early lead thanks to Willian's vision and the individual brilliance of Nketiah. :icon_exclaim1:

Post #532498  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:45 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

White has been photographed driving out of Arsenal's training ground this morning. It's done

Post #532499  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:00 pm 

Rich wrote:

I saw the game (it was free on arsenal.com) and it was indeed 4-1. Pre-season not much to go on obviously, but well taken goals from Nketiah and Azeez (with his left foot). Pretty slow first half, we got better in the second as we subbed on better players. Partey didn't have to try very hard to be head and shoulders above any other midfielder on the pitch. Pépé looks like he wants to start the season roaring. Smith-Rowe was behind a lot of good stuff when he came on. Lokonga looks talented, athletic and assured on the ball, hit a couple of nice passes.

Post #532500  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:01 pm 

Here's the goal from Azeez. Would love to see more of him this coming season, hoping he gets to start a few cup games at least.

Post #532501  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:05 pm 

Rich wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

White has been photographed driving out of Arsenal's training ground this morning. It's done

Gives us options at CB, RB and DM. Delighted with this signing.

Post #532502  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:10 pm 

Did Arsenal still make the fans pay to watch a behind closed doors game on the Internet ?

Post #532503  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:16 pm 

Rich wrote:
But Kronke is getting a good return on his investment by just sitting back and doing nothing. He’s got plenty of other business and sports interests so perhaps he sees Arsenal as the steady one that ticks over, why go for even more riches when it could also mean losing.

As you say, he's getting a very good return.
However, I also see fans writing about him head scratching why he doesn't do this or that for the club. He doesn't care. We are no different than owning Google stock. His priority are the Los Angeles Rams. Interestingly enough we are the only asset he has with global recognition. I assume its one of the selling points Dein told him when he talked him into investing in us.

We may have spent a decent amount of money but its not from Kroenke dipping into his pocket. Its internally generated from what I understand. I could be wrong but its what I understand.

Furthermore, his sporting assets have been hit hard by Covid19 restrictions. The NFL took out a massive loan and as one of the team owners he's partially responsible to help pay it off. America, and California specifically have been woeful in handling Covid19 and it wouldn't surprise me if it takes longer than expected to get fans back to the stadium. The Delta variant may hinder fans returning in England.

Bottomline is Kroenke is under some financial pressure. I am hoping someone has told him that he needs to focus on getting us back in the CL for financial reasons and that may loosen the purse strings a little. Spend to get more in the long run.

Anyway, since when he first bought into us, he's got a good return considering.

Post #532504  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:46 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Did Arsenal still make the fans pay to watch a behind closed doors game on the Internet ?

Ask, maybe. But not make.

Post #532505  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:25 pm 

Ash wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Good spot. It is Azeez. Legs of oak.

He’s got a great shot from distance - no wonder looking at those tanks holding him up. I’d put him just behind Lokonga then in getting some minutes this season. I wish if only for the sake of players like him, Willock Balogun and Martinelli we were in the Europa. Players who seem good enough for some minutes but I can’t see really apart from injuries where they might get them.

Since no one else is going to give me credit might as well toot the old horn myself. Called it! :emoticon_mClapp:

Post #532506  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:02 pm 

Apparently Elneny made a huge mistake for Watford’s goal today, tried to dribble out of the box and got tackled. If Elneny is 4th choice CM some may see that as fine but we need to remember this is a player who we sent on loan for 2 years because he wasn’t up to scratch and only came back because the severe lack of numbers in midfield. I’d rather Azeez had his position in the squad.

Post #532507  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:59 pm 

warrior wrote:

Rog ...

Thanks for all you continue to do Rog.

Very much appreciated.

Post #532508  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:59 pm 

Rich wrote:
Apparently Elneny made a huge mistake for Watford’s goal today, tried to dribble out of the box and got tackled. If Elneny is 4th choice CM some may see that as fine but we need to remember this is a player who we sent on loan for 2 years because he wasn’t up to scratch and only came back because the severe lack of numbers in midfield. I’d rather Azeez had his position in the squad.

.. also he’s only got 12 months on his contract left so he’s in the same position as Lacazette but we have no chance of finding a taker for him.

If Lacazette goes he’s going to miss Scott’s in Mayfair where I’ve seen him twice.

Post #532509  Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

I didn’t pay anything

Post #532510  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:06 am 

Rich wrote:

ltg? :12hello-bye:

Post #532511  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:09 am 

Elneny has had random decent/good game but nothing consistently enough to warrant a permanent position for our ambitions. Seems a decent guy but we need skill not a best mate.

Post #532512  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:13 am 

I don't a lot of stock in pre-season. I am happy to see the squad and certain players do well and its a good omen for the upcoming season but I adjust for the situation, preseason, often/usually against much weaker side who themselves are working out the kinks (waves at Ray Davies :42laughter: )

Post #532513  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:22 am 

I do see a lot of value in players who were underperforming (Willian, and a couple others) who are playing well in preseason. I am not as concerned if Smith Rowe or Saka have less than ideal games. I would expect them to do what they have been doing in the season proper.

Post #532514  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:28 am 

Dusty Hill, bearded bassist of blues trio ZZ Top, dies at age 72

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-29/ ... /100332334

Awful news - Great band. :20hospitals:

Post #532515  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:32 am 

Post #532516  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:05 am 

Years ago a major razor company in the states offered him an incredible amount of money to shave it off in an advert.

"Sharp Dressed Man" was one of my faves when I first started working and had to wear a tie.

Post #532517  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:33 am 

warrior wrote:

Rog ...

Thank you so much! :53big-emoticons:

Post #532518  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:06 am 

warrior wrote:

Rog ...

Thanks Warrior, you are pure gold.

and before you ask......no, this does not entitle you to yet another pay rise!

Post #532519  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:11 am 

Rog, How the heck are you coping with lockdown? I see that it’s been extended for another four weeks. :icon_eek1:

Post #532520  Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:15 am 

So, a question for the forum.....2 options:

1. Sign Maddison for £70m

2. Sign Ødegaard for £35m and Aouar for £25m

Which is the best option with the most potential?

It's a difficult one because Maddison is more dynamic and offers the ability go past players, not to mention score goals and make assists.

Ødegaard and Aouar are at an earlier stage of their careers but are maybe slower and less dynamic with less goal threat at the moment.

I think the perfect scenario would be Maddison with Ødegaard or Aouar on loan with an option (not obligation) to buy. Can't see Real or Lyon being open to that, though.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13310, 13311, 13312, 13313, 13314, 13315, 13316 ... 14269  Next