Fixtures Sunday August 1st - Chelsea - Emirates Stadium - The Mind Series - 3:00 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                    Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:42 am

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bernard, Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Gaz from Oz, gooner7, long time gooner, warrior and 6 guests

 
Post #530721  Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14899
Location: Stockholm

bromley gooner wrote:
I was born in Scotland to Scottish parents, although I’ve lived in England for over 50 years. That said, the excruciating bluster I’m hearing before the Czech game, over confidence and lack of respect for the opposition, is leading me to expect the usual letdown. We’ll see.

Think that's pretty common for smaller nations to be honest, I see a lot of simliar talk about Sweden's game tonight where some seem to expect a win. To me this Swedish team has a couple of interesting young attacking players but a pretty terrible defense. And when the defense isn't good, it usually doesn't bode well.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530722  Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:51 pm
Posts: 502

We have Frank de Boer as manager, nuff said.

Although with that name Decaf might fancy us.

_________________
niets is sterker dan dat ene woord


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530723  Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13983

bromley gooner wrote:
I was born in Scotland to Scottish parents, although I’ve lived in England for over 50 years. That said, the excruciating bluster I’m hearing before the Czech game, over confidence and lack of respect for the opposition, is leading me to expect the usual letdown. We’ll see.

It was always going to end in tears for the jocks, sadly. Always has, and seemingly always will :1cry: :1cry:

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530724  Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13983

Hazuki wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
I was born in Scotland to Scottish parents, although I’ve lived in England for over 50 years. That said, the excruciating bluster I’m hearing before the Czech game, over confidence and lack of respect for the opposition, is leading me to expect the usual letdown. We’ll see.

Think that's pretty common for smaller nations to be honest, I see a lot of simliar talk about Sweden's game tonight where some seem to expect a win. To me this Swedish team has a couple of interesting young attacking players but a pretty terrible defense. And when the defense isn't good, it usually doesn't bode well.

The Scots really do take the biscuit, though.

Edit: it will be very very funny if they beat England, however.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530725  Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 5638
Location: SE9

Decaf wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Think that's pretty common for smaller nations to be honest, I see a lot of simliar talk about Sweden's game tonight where some seem to expect a win. To me this Swedish team has a couple of interesting young attacking players but a pretty terrible defense. And when the defense isn't good, it usually doesn't bode well.

The Scots really do take the biscuit, though.

Edit: it will be very very funny if they beat England, however.

Not a chance in hell of that happening I’m afraid. Could be a proper hiding if England are in the mood.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530726  Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18863

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
Without getting too far ahead of ourselves England's route if they win the group looks to be
R2 Portugal/Germany
QF Spain
SF Netherlands/Turkey
F Italy/France

Who knocks Belgium out? You didn’t even mention them as possible opponents in any round?

Potentially Italy knocking them out in the QF on that side of the draw. I'm not convinced by Belgium's defence - but if they player each other I can see that Belgium v Italy could go either way


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530727  Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18863

Ive read Marcel Sabitzer could be available for as little as £15m from Leipzig because he has 1 year left on his deal. I don't think you could find a better value for money signing for the attacking midfield position for us in Europe. Buedia at £40m or Sabitzer at £15m. No comparison


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530728  Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 pm
Posts: 4751

Rich wrote:
Ive read Marcel Sabitzer could be available for as little as £15m from Leipzig because he has 1 year left on his deal. I don't think you could find a better value for money signing for the attacking midfield position for us in Europe. Buedia at £40m or Sabitzer at £15m. No comparison


I'd agree. If he is available for 15m.

_________________
"If you do not believe you can do it then you have no chance at all"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530729  Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 pm
Posts: 4751

Rich wrote:
Who knocks Belgium out? You didn’t even mention them as possible opponents in any round?

Potentially Italy knocking them out in the QF on that side of the draw. I'm not convinced by Belgium's defence - but if they player each other I can see that Belgium v Italy could go either way[/quote]

All Martinez's teams were shaky at the back.

_________________
"If you do not believe you can do it then you have no chance at all"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530730  Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 5638
Location: SE9

Can your boys hang on Haz?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530731  Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14899
Location: Stockholm

I called the Netherlands a bright spot in the tournament, and whatever the opposite of that is it's Sweden. At least Isak looked good, but of course he was subbed off with 20 minutes to go for being way to good with the ball.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530732  Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14899
Location: Stockholm

bromley gooner wrote:
Can your boys hang on Haz?

Absolutely dominating the clearance stat. Spain don't stand a chance.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530733  Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 5638
Location: SE9

The big yellow bus nearly there. I hope you get the point.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530734  Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14899
Location: Stockholm

bromley gooner wrote:
The big yellow bus nearly there. I hope you get the point.

Was cheering for Spain at the end. We had one good player on the pitch, and he was subbed off for a player with worse technique than Igor Stepanovs, I hate those kind of subs that are supposedly tactical but are really just dumb.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530735  Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 pm
Posts: 4751

Hazuki wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
The big yellow bus nearly there. I hope you get the point.

Was cheering for Spain at the end. We had one good player on the pitch, and he was subbed off for a player with worse technique than Igor Stepanovs, I hate those kind of subs that are supposedly tactical but are really just dumb.


Well you got a 0-0 that looked unlikely earlier on so it is not as dumb as you think. I thought Sweden's defensive performance was top notch. Danielson was excellent and Seb Larssson was everywhere.

_________________
"If you do not believe you can do it then you have no chance at all"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530736  Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14899
Location: Stockholm

Gunfire wrote:
Well you got a 0-0 that looked unlikely earlier on so it is not as dumb as you think.

Not sure how that relates to subbing off a striker who was the only player who can hold on to the ball and who created our only two scoring chances. It was 0-0 with him on the pitch as well.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530737  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:19 am 
Online

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:31 pm
Posts: 3652
Location: Waltham Abbey, Essex

Quote:
Still think covid is a hoax and over reaction mr “get off my island” ?

Had your jab yet? Did you feel the irony as you were getting it?


Oi jolly trolly when did I say covid is a hoax?

Both thank you did you have one in your ass, did it hit your brain?

Is that why you keep playing the fool?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530738  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14899
Location: Stockholm

Reports in Belgium (and repeated by David Ornstein) that we have made a first offer for Belgian midfielder Sambi Lokonga. Don't know much about him other than the fact that he's 21, plays for Anderlecht and recieved his first call-up to the national team earlier this year. Looks interesting, but he's probably a bit of a project.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530739  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 19233

Hazuki wrote:
Reports in Belgium (and repeated by David Ornstein) that we have made a first offer for Belgian midfielder Sambi Lokonga. Don't know much about him other than the fact that he's 21, plays for Anderlecht and recieved his first call-up to the national team earlier this year. Looks interesting, but he's probably a bit of a project.


Hi Haz,

A few rumours of us making opening bids for players. Whether we are serious or just making a few lowish speculative offers to see if anything sticks is hard to tell.

With the euros and Copa America ongoing it may be weeks before we are able to close some of the deals we want.

Lokonga looks an interesting prospect and with the right age and enough experience to be worth a punt on.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530740  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18863

socrates wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Reports in Belgium (and repeated by David Ornstein) that we have made a first offer for Belgian midfielder Sambi Lokonga. Don't know much about him other than the fact that he's 21, plays for Anderlecht and recieved his first call-up to the national team earlier this year. Looks interesting, but he's probably a bit of a project.


Hi Haz,

A few rumours of us making opening bids for players. Whether we are serious or just making a few lowish speculative offers to see if anything sticks is hard to tell.

With the euros and Copa America ongoing it may be weeks before we are able to close some of the deals we want.

The talk is the opening offer was 15m euros and Anderlecht want 20m euros. I know money is tight but if we're seriously after the player that isn't too big a gap to bridge.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530741  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 19233

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Haz,

A few rumours of us making opening bids for players. Whether we are serious or just making a few lowish speculative offers to see if anything sticks is hard to tell.

With the euros and Copa America ongoing it may be weeks before we are able to close some of the deals we want.

The talk is the opening offer was 15m euros and Anderlecht want 20m euros. I know money is tight but if we're seriously after the player that isn't too big a gap to bridge.


Have many deals been done by anyone, full stop. Apart from a few free transfers. Even the Xhaka one seems to be stalling over the fee.

The Ajax keeper one has gone a bit quiet too.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530742  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14899
Location: Stockholm

socrates wrote:
Hi Haz,

A few rumours of us making opening bids for players. Whether we are serious or just making a few lowish speculative offers to see if anything sticks is hard to tell.

This one was reported by the local press in Belgium I think, which makes me think it's more likely to be something in the reports. I do like Lokongas profile, if we add him and someone more established who can start right away to replace Xhaka we have some interesting midfield options going into the new season.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530743  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 19233

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:
Hi Haz,

A few rumours of us making opening bids for players. Whether we are serious or just making a few lowish speculative offers to see if anything sticks is hard to tell.

This one was reported by the local press in Belgium I think, which makes me think it's more likely to be something in the reports. I do like Lokongas profile, if we add him and someone more established who can start right away to replace Xhaka we have some interesting midfield options going into the new season.


Would make sense, although you’d have to think Willock might be sacrificed. I think with his ability to score goals from central midfield (a rarely these days) he ought to be kept.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530744  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14899
Location: Stockholm

socrates wrote:
Would make sense, although you’d have to think Willock might be sacrificed. I think with his ability to score goals from central midfield (a rarely these days) he ought to be kept.

I'm very torn about Willock. On one hand, he's an academy product and you always want to see those players succeed at the club. His goalscoring record from midfield is hard to look past. On the other hand, I have a hard time seeing him in a midfield two, which seems to be the way we'll play for the forseeable future, and his value is probably at a peak right now. We did the right thing when we let Iwobi go, so maybe it's time to do the same with Willock.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530745  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14899
Location: Stockholm

I think there's a chance we might go big this summer. Before the season ended I firmly believed we wouldn't sign more than 2, maybe 3 players for the first team, but all the noises coming out from the more reliable sources (those who seem to have some connections with the club) I'm thinking we might see 5-6. Not all of them will be for big money, but there seems to be a big overhaul on the cards.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530746  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18863

https://medium.com/in-the-process-we-tr ... 4db521a851

A detailed report on Lokonga


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530747  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18863

The Nketiah situation seems strange. 12 months left on his deal, has barely featured for us in the second half of the season and the club offers him a new contract. I understand these things are done to protect value but according to reports Nketiah has 4 or more clubs vying for his permanent transfer. West Ham, Watford, palace and Leverkusen from Germany.
If we can get anything close to £20m for him on a permanent deal then we need to sell and reinvest. I just don't see the point in trying to tie him to another 3 years when we don't actually have any intention of playing him or see him as a player who might one day be good enough for a starting spot.
Maybe Arsenal are hoping he signs a deal, goes on loan and scores 15 league goals next season then his value goes much higher than £20m but weighing up how likely all that is vs the need for £15-20m this summer to bolster the squad I know which one I'd go with.

Plenty of very good young strikers out there. I'll be surprised if a prem team doesn't take a punt of Patson Daka for around £20m.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530748  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:32 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 9431
Location: Singapore

Rich wrote:
The Nketiah situation seems strange. 12 months left on his deal, has barely featured for us in the second half of the season and the club offers him a new contract. I understand these things are done to protect value but according to reports Nketiah has 4 or more clubs vying for his permanent transfer. West Ham, Watford, palace and Leverkusen from Germany.
If we can get anything close to £20m for him on a permanent deal then we need to sell and reinvest. I just don't see the point in trying to tie him to another 3 years when we don't actually have any intention of playing him or see him as a player who might one day be good enough for a starting spot.
Maybe Arsenal are hoping he signs a deal, goes on loan and scores 15 league goals next season then his value goes much higher than £20m but weighing up how likely all that is vs the need for £15-20m this summer to bolster the squad I know which one I'd go with.

Plenty of very good young strikers out there. I'll be surprised if a prem team doesn't take a punt of Patson Daka for around £20m.


Perhaps we cannot deplete our number of home-grown players too quickly

_________________
Onwards and Upwards!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530749  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18863

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:
The Nketiah situation seems strange. 12 months left on his deal, has barely featured for us in the second half of the season and the club offers him a new contract. I understand these things are done to protect value but according to reports Nketiah has 4 or more clubs vying for his permanent transfer. West Ham, Watford, palace and Leverkusen from Germany.
If we can get anything close to £20m for him on a permanent deal then we need to sell and reinvest. I just don't see the point in trying to tie him to another 3 years when we don't actually have any intention of playing him or see him as a player who might one day be good enough for a starting spot.
Maybe Arsenal are hoping he signs a deal, goes on loan and scores 15 league goals next season then his value goes much higher than £20m but weighing up how likely all that is vs the need for £15-20m this summer to bolster the squad I know which one I'd go with.

Plenty of very good young strikers out there. I'll be surprised if a prem team doesn't take a punt of Patson Daka for around £20m.


Perhaps we cannot deplete our number of home-grown players too quickly

He can simply be replaced in the squad by Baolgun - also home grown


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530750  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18863

More clubs interested in Onana. We need to move quickly if we want him. £5-7m for a GK of his quality is rare so no wonder others are interested. It doesn't matter that much if people think it is a sideways move from Leno, if Leno won't commit to a new deal, is 2/3 years older and can be sold for £20m then it is not a sideways move for a club that needs a massive squad rebuild.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530751  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14899
Location: Stockholm

I think we're fine with the number of non-homegrown players in our squad actually - most of the players leaving (Luiz, Xhaka, Guendouzi, Ceballos, Ryan, Ødegaard, probably Willian) are not homegrown, so that leaves plenty of squad space for more non-homegrown players.

But speaking of homegrown players, there are some rumblings from The Athletic that we're targeting Ben White from Brighton to strengthen our defense. Consensus among Arsenal fans are probably that CB isn't a priority, but I'm all for it. Think he's an excellent young CB, and he's looked better on the ball than any of our current CBs when I've seen him play. Only 23 as well. Holding had his best season for us, but to me he just isn't a guy we should rely too much on if we're aiming to make it back into the top four. Better suited to a team in the lower half of the table in my opinion.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530752  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:40 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30852

Other than who we buy, I'm going to take a keen interest to see if/how Arteta uses Balogun, Martinelli and Saliba.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530753  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 14159

How we could do with a Tony Kroos at the arsenal. Wonder if they would be interested in a swap deal for Torreira


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530754  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 14159

..... and Kante, surely the best all action midfield player since Vieira. I’m sure if chelsea decided to sell they wouldn’t find a depressed market.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530755  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 7618

Paul Pogba must have a twin brother who plays in most of the Man Utd games. Completely different player for France. Just outstanding.

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530756  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2881

No surprise. UEFA have allowed Juve, Barca, Real Madrid back into CL football for next season. According to Sky Sports.

_________________
Be careful who you call your friends. I'd rather have four quarters than one hundred pennies.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530757  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 5638
Location: SE9

Germans giving it a go here.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530758  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 pm
Posts: 14899
Location: Stockholm

TOP GUN wrote:
..... and Kante, surely the best all action midfield player since Vieira. I’m sure if chelsea decided to sell they wouldn’t find a depressed market.

Did you see the report about Lokonga? Said Anderlecht are open to selling after reporting big losses during the pandemic. Apparently they have yet to receive the windfall from Man Utd bidding on Sancho.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530759  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 14159

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
..... and Kante, surely the best all action midfield player since Vieira. I’m sure if chelsea decided to sell they wouldn’t find a depressed market.

Did you see the report about Lokonga? Said Anderlecht are open to selling after reporting big losses during the pandemic. Apparently they have yet to receive the windfall from Man Utd bidding on Sancho.

Yeah they rejected the first offer because they want more than Xhaka is likely to cost :58big-emoticons:

Great example


 Profile  
 
 
Post #530760  Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:29 pm
Posts: 4582

If we are serious about Lokonga and Onana then just close the deals before other clubs give us some serious competition.
This isnt the summer for the lowballing dithering tactics we are sometimes capable of.
5 to 7 million for Onana and upping our offer by another 5 million or so for Lokonga gets these deals done.
These are the sort of profile signings we need to he making. I know you dont immediately offer the asking price but as well dont keep making offers you know will most likely be rejected.
We need a good start and getting our deals done early will help towards this.


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 532612 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13266, 13267, 13268, 13269, 13270, 13271, 13272 ... 13316  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bernard, Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Gaz from Oz, gooner7, long time gooner, warrior and 6 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018