Fixtures Wednesday May 19th - Crystal Palace - Selhurst Park - 7:00 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                    Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri May 14, 2021 8:58 pm

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 6 guests

 
Post #528001  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 9272
Location: Singapore

https://dailycannon.com/2021/04/new-cha ... t-arsenal/

Why do they make it so convoluted?

_________________
Onwards and Upwards!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528002  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30653

Kroenke may want a Europa win more than the fans do at this time. Winning it, in his mind, will make fans forget about the super league.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528003  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 6402
Location: Townsville Australia

gooner7 wrote:
https://dailycannon.com/2021/04/new-champions-league-format-arsenal/

Why do they make it so convoluted?

10 matches in the group stage against teams of various strengths: and I thought the Europa League wasn’t that great.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528004  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 19110

old man of hoy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
This is a commercial venture for him, rather than a love affair. If he invests I just won’t be surprised, I will be in shock. As for people saying we need to invest 300 million in the team. You are dreaming if you think he or any other owner will do it.
Yes, and the paradox in the backlash against the ESL from the fans of the Six, is that by rejecting it they have denied themselves what many have asked for in the past - regular viewing times; higher quality fixtures; a more level playing field with respect to player recruitment and financial stability off the field. If we are in the Europa League next year, playing largely middle of the road opponents, we might be thinking how preferable it would be to play Real, Barca, The Old Lady etc?


Hi OMOH,

Completely agree. I think fans celebrating this victory over the big 6 are missing the bigger picture. Football is becoming boring and the younger generations have far more other options competing for their leisure time attention........video games, a million free-to-air and subscription tv channels etc etc.

The irony is that young kids would probably prefer to play a computer simulated football game than watch the real thing.

I reckon I watch only a small proportion of the sky games available to view on my subscription each season...........Arsenal's games, games between the big six and a few others here and there.

No disrespect to either side, but games like, for example Sheff Utd v Burnley, hold zero interest for me and I am guessing this is the same for many fans due to the saturation levels of football on tv, especially overseas fans.

People keep saying that if you play Real Madrid and Barca every season it becomes boring but the North London, Merseyside and Manchester derbies, as well as games between Arsenal, Liverpool, United, Chelsea, City etc have never become boring despite the teams playing each other at least twice a season.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528005  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 pm
Posts: 4707

Wishing all the English members a happy St. George's Day.

_________________
"If you do not believe you can do it then you have no chance at all"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528006  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 9076

socrates wrote:
I reckon I watch only a small proportion of the sky games available to view on my subscription each season...........Arsenal's games, games between the big six and a few others here and there.

No disrespect to either side, but games like, for example Sheff Utd v Burnley, hold zero interest for me and I am guessing this is the same for many fans due to the saturation levels of football on tv, especially overseas fans.

I’m similar, or perhaps even more extreme. Because the only games I would even think about watching in full on television are all of Arsenal’s, and Bayern’s and Rangers’ when they play title deciders and cup finals. I wouldn’t dream of watching a Liverpool vs Manchester United game in full, even if I turn it on here and there to see what the latest score is. I didn’t even watch the Liverpool vs Tottenham Champions League final a couple of years ago in full, and nor will I watch tomorrow’s League Cup final in full. Even though I really do hope City beat Tottenham. Barcelona vs Real Madrid in a title decider? No chance whatsoever.

I’m really not the person to ask whether we should sign a particular player from a certain club because the only games in which I’d have seen him are if he’s played against Arsenal, or Bayern and Rangers in a title decider or cup final.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528007  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:52 pm
Posts: 13176

I don't generally watch much football outside of Arsenal, although I have watched games with teams like Wolves or Leicester as I find them good sides to watch, particularly in the case of Leicester. I like watching Dortmund in Germany if I happen to catch one of their games on BT. Generally though I watch less and less football these days, I even missed the Fulham game on Sunday as I had something to do, that I found preferable. I'm a *%^@ fan these days even though I have a season ticket.

_________________
There's a man who's been out sailing in a decade full of dreams


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528008  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 18223

tomc wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
...If we are in the Europa League next year, playing largely middle of the road opponents, we might be thinking how preferable it would be to play Real, Barca, The Old Lady etc?

Big if, old man, big if. We could be banned from Europe next season (and beyond) if UEFA get their way.
It could happen, but personally I doubt it. Banning any of the 12 ESL members will simply reinforce their determination to go it alone, and would also ensure that the competitions under UEFA's remit are without quality. The existing broadcasters will probably determine UEFA's policy - they will not want to rely on showing games without the 12.

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528009  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 18223

Gunfire wrote:
Wishing all the English members a happy St. George's Day.
Thank you!

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528010  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 18223

socrates wrote:
... People keep saying that if you play Real Madrid and Barca every season it becomes boring but the North London, Merseyside and Manchester derbies, as well as games between Arsenal, Liverpool, United, Chelsea, City etc have never become boring despite the teams playing each other at least twice a season.
Yes, and the other reality is that the matches broadcast not involving the Six, are in effect subsidised by the Six. It is the massive viewing figures for United etc which allows Sky etc to show the likes of WBA, Fulham, Burnley etc. In England the 14 have understandably shouted loud against the ESL because if it happens they will be in the third-class carriages of a diminished gravy train.

The position of Sky in all of this is intriguing. Many years ago they happily broke the English football status quo, giving scant consideration to traditions or the fortunes of the national broadcasters BBC and ITV. Now their privileged world is under threat, they have become traditionalists! If the 12 had offered Sky the ESL option would they have taken it and left the 14 to their own fate?

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528011  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13849

socrates wrote:
The irony is that young kids would probably prefer to play a computer simulated football game than watch the real thing.

And that is scary and I think tragic.

People who are brought up watching films with CGI landscape full of 50000 foot mountains are are going to say 'is that all?' when they see K2 or Everest.

Technology and globalisation are fine so long as they don't stop one from appreciating what is real, what is part of ones own culture, and what is in front of one's face.

And I enjoy a dull football or cricket match! Nothing quite like it to help one doze off!

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528012  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13734

Darren wrote:
I don't generally watch much football outside of Arsenal, although I have watched games with teams like Wolves or Leicester as I find them good sides to watch, particularly in the case of Leicester. I like watching Dortmund in Germany if I happen to catch one of their games on BT. Generally though I watch less and less football these days, I even missed the Fulham game on Sunday as I had something to do, that I found preferable. I'm a *%^@ fan these days even though I have a season ticket.


I’m remarkably similar Darren. Don’t watch other games and next season I have decided to split a season ticket with someone else.

I find the game much less interesting these days and long for more creative players who had real quality on the ball even at lesser teams for example watching ginola and Beardsley at Newcastle in that period. The modern game seems based on energy and athleticism and there’s a quality gap, you won’t convince me the premiership is stronger now than a decade and half ago.

People pay money to watch the Bergkamps, ozils and fabregases and there’s not many in the league right now.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528013  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 pm
Posts: 4707

old man of hoy wrote:
tomc wrote:
Big if, old man, big if. We could be banned from Europe next season (and beyond) if UEFA get their way.
It could happen, but personally I doubt it. Banning any of the 12 ESL members will simply reinforce their determination to go it alone, and would also ensure that the competitions under UEFA's remit are without quality. The existing broadcasters will probably determine UEFA's policy - they will not want to rely on showing games without the 12.

Agree. If the dirty dozen are kicked out it might just help the ESL by reducing TV viewing figures for the competitions they were kicked out of reinforcing their belief in their own importance.

_________________
"If you do not believe you can do it then you have no chance at all"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528014  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 pm
Posts: 4707

old man of hoy wrote:
tomc wrote:
Big if, old man, big if. We could be banned from Europe next season (and beyond) if UEFA get their way.
It could happen, but personally I doubt it. Banning any of the 12 ESL members will simply reinforce their determination to go it alone, and would also ensure that the competitions under UEFA's remit are without quality. The existing broadcasters will probably determine UEFA's policy - they will not want to rely on showing games without the 12.

Agree. If the dirty dozen are kicked out it might just help the ESL by reducing TV viewing figures for the competitions they were kicked out of reinforcing their belief in their own importance.

_________________
"If you do not believe you can do it then you have no chance at all"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528015  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30653

hmm...

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528016  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:46 pm
Posts: 2701

I only really watch matches involving Arsenal. Funnily enough even though I was adamant that my kids had to be Gooners, I also didnt want them to be full on Arsenal obsessives as it takes too much time out of your life, and nowadays you cant go to gams with your mates as easily as you could back in the olden days.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528017  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 7227

In amongst the wreckage of the ESL, we can all point at those responsible for the debacle. We all know who they are and there’s been enough reference to them in the media to allow us to appreciate how much we hate them.

Hold on though. Nowhere in the miles of column inches have I heard any mention of Martin Edwards or Danny Fiszman. Alan Sugar anyone? Ken Bates, David Dein or John Moores? Nina Bracewell-Bollox? These are the old school Directors to whom we now hark back with fondness. They ran the clubs when they were ours. Ha. They’re the bunch who quite knowingly sold the heritage of their clubs to new Owners who knew little and cared less about rich histories and traditions. Begs the question whether any of them cared at all or gave a stuff about their clubs beyond their soaring values. They all scuttled off (in Danny’s case shuffled off) pockets bulging with money that had been poured into the Clubs by us poor saps. Fans’ money built and sustained all those clubs. Ironically, we also paid the SKY subscriptions that caused the clubs’ values to skyrocket. But we were sold off back then along with the bronze busts and the marble.

In the same way that FIFA stole world football and UEFA wormed themselves into a position where they can milk the top European clubs, those fine old British Owners did for our game. Rot their eyes.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528018  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2732

Attachment:

:angel4:

_________________
Be careful who you call your friends. I'd rather have four quarters than one hundred pennies.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528019  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30653

We're very capable of winning tonight. If we play to the level of the importance of the game, we should win. However, knowing how inconsistent we are, I'll take a draw right now if offered a result.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528020  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 23504

DHD wrote:
In amongst the wreckage of the ESL, we can all point at those responsible for the debacle. We all know who they are and there’s been enough reference to them in the media to allow us to appreciate how much we hate them.

Hold on though. Nowhere in the miles of column inches have I heard any mention of Martin Edwards or Danny Fiszman. Alan Sugar anyone? Ken Bates, David Dein or John Moores? Nina Bracewell-Bollox? These are the old school Directors to whom we now hark back with fondness. They ran the clubs when they were ours. Ha. They’re the bunch who quite knowingly sold the heritage of their clubs to new Owners who knew little and cared less about rich histories and traditions. Begs the question whether any of them cared at all or gave a stuff about their clubs beyond their soaring values. They all scuttled off (in Danny’s case shuffled off) pockets bulging with money that had been poured into the Clubs by us poor saps. Fans’ money built and sustained all those clubs. Ironically, we also paid the SKY subscriptions that caused the clubs’ values to skyrocket. But we were sold off back then along with the bronze busts and the marble.

In the same way that FIFA stole world football and UEFA wormed themselves into a position where they can milk the top European clubs, those fine old British Owners did for our game. Rot their eyes.

All horribly true. I have been reflecting on just that recently.

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528021  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 30653

long time gooner wrote:
All horribly true. I have been reflecting on just that recently.


Did the board have a choice beyond Kroenke and Usmanov? Going back in time, what should they have done with the aforementioned having bought into the club?
I'm asking because as I understand it there were only 2 choices. Was that inaccurate?

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528022  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:43 pm
Posts: 62

Just back from the demo at the Emirates. Impressive turn out and some great banners. No mention of ESL I could see - all about getting KSE out.
Fingers crossed it has some impact.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528023  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18510

Team as expected the only debate was whether Nketiah or Martinelli starts up top....and it’s Nketiah.

Nelson is on the bench but I struggle to see literally any scenario where he feasibly comes on the pitch. Also on the bench are Willian, Martinelli and Ødegaard who would all come on in front of him for any injury to an attacking player or any desire for us to go all out attack.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528024  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13849

Rich wrote:
Team as expected the only debate was whether Nketiah or Martinelli starts up top....and it’s Nketiah.

Nelson is on the bench but I struggle to see literally any scenario where he feasibly comes on the pitch. Also on the bench are Willian, Martinelli and Ødegaard who would all come on in front of him for any injury to an attacking player or any desire for us to go all out attack.

I've got a good feeling about this one.
*Touch wood*

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528025  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:31 pm
Posts: 3620
Location: Waltham Abbey, Essex

Strong team. View of what the future holds for us.

Worried we don't produce our current seasons form at home.

Come on you reds


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528026  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 23504

Yellowquadrant wrote:
Just back from the demo at the Emirates. Impressive turn out and some great banners. No mention of ESL I could see - all about getting KSE out.
Fingers crossed it has some impact.

Cat - Hell - Chance

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528027  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:02 am
Posts: 2128
Location: Liverpool/Caernarfon

#KroenkeOut

_________________
Gorau chwarae cyd chwarae


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528028  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:02 am
Posts: 2128
Location: Liverpool/Caernarfon

long time gooner wrote:
Yellowquadrant wrote:
Just back from the demo at the Emirates. Impressive turn out and some great banners. No mention of ESL I could see - all about getting KSE out.
Fingers crossed it has some impact.

Cat - Hell - Chance


Possibly, but it’s good to protest. And how else will he go?

_________________
Gorau chwarae cyd chwarae


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528029  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 23504

john1 wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Cat - Hell - Chance


Possibly, but it’s good to protest. And how else will he go?

If he goes then it won’t be as the result of any demonstration. Sadly.

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528030  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:02 am
Posts: 2128
Location: Liverpool/Caernarfon

long time gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

Possibly, but it’s good to protest. And how else will he go?

If he goes then it won’t be as the result of any demonstration. Sadly.


Maybe not. But the publicity is good surely? (Or not good if you’re Kroenke)

_________________
Gorau chwarae cyd chwarae


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528031  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 23504

Wonderful inspired incisive commentary.

*Good throw, but too long for Saka”.

So....

.... not a good throw then.

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528032  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:36 pm
Posts: 2625

long time gooner wrote:
Wonderful inspired incisive commentary.

*Good throw, but too long for Saka”.

So....

.... not a good throw then.


I hope that wasn’t our Smudger


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528033  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 5517
Location: SE9

Come on Arsenal. Kroenke out.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528034  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13734

Protests look superb. The fact he won’t go is neither here nor there because it’s important Kroenke knows what we think of him and what he’s done to our club. I hope it keeps going

I notice the founder of Spotify said if Arsenal came on the market he would be interested


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528035  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 23504

TOP GUN wrote:
it’s important Kroenke knows what we think of him and what he’s done to our club.

Of no interest to him whatsoever. In much the same way that I would be affected by what an ant thinks.

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528036  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:02 am
Posts: 2128
Location: Liverpool/Caernarfon

TOP GUN wrote:
Protests look superb. The fact he won’t go is neither here nor there because it’s important Kroenke knows what we think of him and what he’s done to our club. I hope it keeps going

I notice the founder of Spotify said if Arsenal came on the market he would be interested


Yes great turnout.

And is that the police helicopter or the news constantly flying over?

_________________
Gorau chwarae cyd chwarae


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528037  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 9076

TOP GUN wrote:
I notice the founder of Spotify said if Arsenal came on the market he would be interested

Daniel Ek only has a fortune of $4.7b. He’s basically a pauper. I doubt Stan would think of selling for £2.0b, so it would take even more than that. I don’t see how Ek could afford to buy Arsenal without taking on huge loans, as I believe Glazer did when he bought Manchester United. Is that really what we want?

https://www.forbes.com/profile/daniel-e ... 29787a46ab


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528038  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 18510

Calvert-Lewin leading with the arm in the face of Mari, not an elbow and not looking for the player but could easily be a yellow for recklessness


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528039  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 9076

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
it’s important Kroenke knows what we think of him and what he’s done to our club.

Of no interest to him whatsoever. In much the same way that I would be affected by what an ant thinks.

I agree LTG. Will Stan even get to know about tonight’s demonstration let alone be concerned about it?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #528040  Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 13734

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
it’s important Kroenke knows what we think of him and what he’s done to our club.

Of no interest to him whatsoever. In much the same way that I would be affected by what an ant thinks.

You’ll be shocked at how egotistical some of these American billionaires are and that news will reach him.

Better to have believed in something and said it than not


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 529531 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13198, 13199, 13200, 13201, 13202, 13203, 13204 ... 13239  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 6 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018