Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 101 guests

Post #557401  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:18 am 

Andy Green wrote:
DHD wrote:
It's been a really odd weekend for me. On Friday I attended the funeral on the South coast of one of my oldest mates. He was a lifelong Gooner and we'd been going to The Arse together since our teens. We went to the Forest game recently. He had lots of kids and grandkids, lots of siblings, nieces and nephews, and lots of friends, so the church was bursting at the seams with Gooners.

Moving on, yesterday was one of those great days that burn themselves into your memory. I don't when I was more elated after a match - maybe Anderlecht or WHL in '71. The stadium was absolutely rocking. Not many in that crowd started the day believing we could win the PL. That game has changed all that.

And then today, I went to Bernard's memorial gathering. I confess I have found Bernard's death really difficult to process. This was a man I'd known for maybe 25 years, exchanging views and opinions often daily. And yet I met him only once and we'd never had a proper spoken conversation. I had no idea of the circumstances of his death and I wasn't able to offer my condolences to his family because I didn't know them and I had no contact details. Thankfully, today has filled in a number of those blanks for me and I have been able to meet and talk with his wife and one of his daughters. Today has been helpful. I can confirm that Bernard was a remarkable man.

Plenty of Gooners including representatives of The Supporters Trust and The Gooner; both were important to Bernard and he was to them. There was a smattering of Forumites there though not many active contributors. Chapeau to truegooner, Gaz ( B/Wood ) and Pete on the beach. I think Pete is going to post something here soon so I won't spoil his thunder.

Lovely post DHD

Excellent.

Post #557402  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:42 am 

Way, way too early to be talking about next season but I will already. Man Utd will be a title contender next year. Especially if they get Kane. It would have been a different game with Casemiro. We'd have a greater chance of a draw but I think we'd have eked it out. He'd make us play at a higher level.

Anyway, I can see them being title contenders in earnest. City will always be. I would expect Liverpool to be back and back to their recent form from a year ago. I think next season will be a highly contentious season for the title with a lot of drama along the way.

Chelsea have the personnel and will buy more in the summer if not this week and I expect them to be much tougher than they are now. Newcastle will be spoiler but top 4 is my guess. Tottenham will be Europa.

Post #557403  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:25 am 

david.d wrote:
Heard a stat on Kelly and Wrighty that before yesterday the last time we had scored a LAST MINUTE winner in the Premier league was in 2007 when Thierry scored against utd.
Surely that can't be right???
We have won late against villa and Fulham this season alone but maybe they weren't in literally the last minute?
Astounding stat if true.

It isn’t true. Lacazette scored a last minute winner v wolves last year

Post #557404  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:30 am 

Wonder how he will treat the fa cup Friday.

Can see some changes but not massive rotation. I would make big changes personally

Could see something like this ….Turner, Tommy, holding, Gabriel, KT, Partey, vieira, xhaka, trossard, Eddie, saka

Post #557405  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:23 am 

david.d wrote:
Heard a stat on Kelly and Wrighty that before yesterday the last time we had scored a LAST MINUTE winner in the Premier league was in 2007 when Thierry scored against utd.
We have won late against villa and Fulham this season alone but maybe they weren't in literally the last minute?
Astounding stat if true.

I think that the statistic refers to last minute winners against Man United.

Here’s one that put us top of the table in 2017.
https://www.premierleague.com/news/522119

Post #557406  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:25 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Wonder how he will treat the fa cup Friday.

Can see some changes but not massive rotation. I would make big changes personally

Could see something like this ….Turner, Tommy, holding, Gabriel, KT, Partey, vieira, xhaka, trossard, Eddie, saka

It could be an opportunity to bed Emile Smith Rowe in a bit more too. Perhaps from the subs bench.

Post #557407  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:44 am 

We’ve now gone past the 19 game threshold for yellow cards. Saliba, Saka, White and Gabriel all had 4 yellows. Now the threshold is 10 yellow cards by game 32. So each can get 5 more yellows in the league in the next 13 games and still not be banned.

If a player reached the 5 card threshold on or before game 19 they had a 1 game ban. If they get 5 more before game 32 they’ll get a 2 game ban.

Post #557408  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:55 am 

Read some interesting thoughts on Arsenal’s identity. At the start there was a lot of Pep-lite and thoughts that Arteta was just modelling Arsenal to play exactly like Man City. But this has revolved beyond that. There are traits of how Liverpool at their peak played as well. Liverpool play very direct football as they have workhorse midfielders rather that creative passers. So they go direct to a very athletic front 3 and pick up second balls in the final 3rd. Arsenal have elements of that particular from Ramsdale who goes long more than you think.
I also think we play forward faster than City tend to, we go for the fast counter attack a bit more than them and are potentially more pragmatic in terms of getting back in to a defensive block.

it was also nice to see one of the few times Zinchenko found himself in a natural wide full back position to cross he didn’t flash it across goal it was the cut back to Ødegaard - a very City type move.

Post #557409  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:00 am 

I’m not good enough at micro tactics to work out exactly how Arsenal do it but one amazing part of our play is the ability to get a wide player in space 1v1 against their full back or to get an attacking player quite free in a decent crossing position or some kind of easy 2v1 in the wide areas.

Most teams set up defensively in wide areas quite similar, you have a full back/wing back and you have a wide midfielder who has to cover to stop and overload. But yet Arsenal still find a way to get these opportunities.

Way he the Man U game again, particularly the last 20 minutes and see how many times we’re able to do this. And this is despite Man U sitting so deep with essentially a back 4 and 5 deep midfielders. We’re manipulating the opposition so well and moving the ball so fast we’re creating these opposing. I think the advanced role Ødegaard and Xhaka play helps create these overloads

Post #557410  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:02 am 

david.d wrote:
Yesterday was incredible.
I'd give anything to be in the stadium experiencing that atmosphere.
It was rocking from watching on TV and we were relentless.
It was my Dad's 13th anniversary of His Passing last Friday The 20th and He was a massive Arsenal fan.
I started following The Arsenal because of my Dad and I know He would be so chuffed and proud of what we are doing this season.
That win yesterday was for him.
I know you are watching Dad.
Love you so so much and God Bless You xxxxx

I'm sure your dad would be absolutely loving this run.

Post #557411  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:46 am 

Rich wrote:
Read some interesting thoughts on Arsenal’s identity. At the start there was a lot of Pep-lite and thoughts that Arteta was just modelling Arsenal to play exactly like Man City. But this has revolved beyond that. There are traits of how Liverpool at their peak played as well. Liverpool play very direct football as they have workhorse midfielders rather that creative passers. So they go direct to a very athletic front 3 and pick up second balls in the final 3rd. Arsenal have elements of that particular from Ramsdale who goes long more than you think.
I also think we play forward faster than City tend to, we go for the fast counter attack a bit more than them and are potentially more pragmatic in terms of getting back in to a defensive block.

What’s weird is when zinny or xhaka run off galavanting into different parts of the pitch the team always has the awareness to cover the person. I always think we will get caught upfield but it never happens, it’s a team working in cohesion

Post #557412  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:01 am 

DHD wrote:
It's been a really odd weekend for me. On Friday I attended the funeral on the South coast of one of my oldest mates. He was a lifelong Gooner and we'd been going to The Arse together since our teens. We went to the Forest game recently. He had lots of kids and grandkids, lots of siblings, nieces and nephews, and lots of friends, so the church was bursting at the seams with Gooners.

Moving on, yesterday was one of those great days that burn themselves into your memory. I don't when I was more elated after a match - maybe Anderlecht or WHL in '71. The stadium was absolutely rocking. Not many in that crowd started the day believing we could win the PL. That game has changed all that.

And then today, I went to Bernard's memorial gathering. I confess I have found Bernard's death really difficult to process. This was a man I'd known for maybe 25 years, exchanging views and opinions often daily. And yet I met him only once and we'd never had a proper spoken conversation. I had no idea of the circumstances of his death and I wasn't able to offer my condolences to his family because I didn't know them and I had no contact details. Thankfully, today has filled in a number of those blanks for me and I have been able to meet and talk with his wife and one of his daughters. Today has been helpful. I can confirm that Bernard was a remarkable man.

Plenty of Gooners including representatives of The Supporters Trust and The Gooner; both were important to Bernard and he was to them. There was a smattering of Forumites there though not many active contributors. Chapeau to truegooner, Gaz ( B/Wood ) and Pete on the beach. I think Pete is going to post something here soon so I won't spoil his thunder.

Hi DHD,

Thanks for the lovely post.

I still miss Bernard and I've never met the fella. He was a constant on here and really part of the fabric of the forum for two decades. Almost every time I logged on there was a fairly recent Bernard post.

He was definitely a one-off, slightly eccentric, very idiosyncratic and as stubborn as any mule you'd ever find. We all loved him for it, though.

I've said this before but he had this endearing way where whenever he was losing an argument he'd keep moving the goalposts every so slightly until he could swing the argument back in his favour. :laughing7:

I think everyone misses him.

I also miss Arsenal Fishbar and Mee, what wonderful people and I am sure there are others we've lost without even realising it.

Post #557413  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:27 am 

We don't have Everton till the 4th of February, so, perhaps a silly question, but we go for the win and play our toughest team, right?

A friend of mine who is a gooner is saying not to risk injuries, etc. and put some of the more important starters on the bench but I'm more inclined to make sure we get the psychological advantage of winning at their grounds. If we can.

Post #557414  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:28 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

What’s weird is when zinny or xhaka run off galavanting into different parts of the pitch the team always has the awareness to cover the person. I always think we will get caught upfield but it never happens, it’s a team working in cohesion

That second half exemplified that. We were throwing the kitchen sink at United and yet almost completely nullifying the risk of them breaking out.

Post #557415  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:31 am 

socrates wrote:
DHD wrote:

Hi DHD,

I still miss Bernard and I've never met the fella. He was a constant on here and really part of the fabric of the forum for two decades. Almost every time I logged on there was a fairly recent Bernard post.

He was definitely a one-off, slightly eccentric, very idiosyncratic and as stubborn as any mule you'd ever find. We all loved him for it, though.

I've said this before but he had this endearing way where whenever he was losing an argument he'd keep moving the goalposts every so slightly until he could swing the argument back in his favour. :laughing7:

I also miss Arsenal Fishbar and Mee, what wonderful people and I am sure there are others we've lost without even realising it.

Thanks DHD and Socrates. Very nicely expressed.

Post #557416  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:48 am 

socrates wrote:

On that note, would anybody know of any way to contact Niall at all ? I sent him a message but not heard anything from him for a long time now.

Edit - I sent him an email ... Which just bounced back.
The address you sent your message to wasn't found at the destination domain

Post #557417  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:09 am 

socrates wrote:
DHD wrote:

Hi DHD,

Well said Soc.

Post #557418  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:39 pm 

I read something that many people are getting wrong, and I’ve been guilty of this as well. There is a lot of talk of ‘Arsenal having to pick up 4 points v City’ the reality is actually ‘City need to beat Arsenal twice’.

I know people are saying this because they expect City to come strong and we need more of a buffer but the reality is we could still lose to City twice and win all our other games and be champions and there is nothing City can do about it

Post #557419  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:10 pm 

Decaf wrote:
david.d wrote:
Yesterday was incredible.
I'd give anything to be in the stadium experiencing that atmosphere.
It was rocking from watching on TV and we were relentless.
It was my Dad's 13th anniversary of His Passing last Friday The 20th and He was a massive Arsenal fan.
I started following The Arsenal because of my Dad and I know He would be so chuffed and proud of what we are doing this season.
That win yesterday was for him.
I know you are watching Dad.
Love you so so much and God Bless You xxxxx

I'm sure your dad would be absolutely loving this run.

Thank you Decaf.

Post #557420  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:12 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
david.d wrote:
Astounding stat if true.

I think that the statistic refers to last minute winners against Man United.

Here’s one that put us top of the table in 2017.
https://www.premierleague.com/news/522119

Thanks LTG
was bugging me

Post #557421  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:06 pm 

I gather that as part of the coverage of last night's football, Jamie Carragher carried out an in-depth analysis of the way Arsenal played against Man U. I'm told it was interesting and insightful.

Does anyone have a link?

Post #557422  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:44 pm 

Rich wrote:
Teddy Sheringham. “It’s Arsenal's to throw away!” “Pep will make sure his team hunt them down, and I certainly hope they do!” Haha we’ve got so so many fans, pundits and ex players terrified and bitter they’re literally begging the neighbours to win the title instead of us!
The idea that the title is ours to lose with half a season still to play is ridiculous and should be seen for what it is - hope that we fail and a wierd underrating of City. The best club of the last decade in The Premiership, with a monster striker and a superior squad, they are just five points behind us. City have won eleven of the last 13 league meetings between the two clubs - the Arsenal none! Given that record shouldn't the story be that the league is theirs to win? Yes we are a much better side than before, and at the moment we are the bookies' favourites, but if I was a betting man I'd not go against City.

Post #557423  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:48 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

That second half exemplified that. We were throwing the kitchen sink at United and yet almost completely nullifying the risk of them breaking out.

It’s almost like a game of poker, and bullying the opposition. We’re saying we’re going to over commit in attack and it’s your choice of you decide to pull your forwards back to cover us or risk leaving our attackers spare on the chance you might get a counter attack.
We’ve created that fear factor where teams aren’t willing to take us on at that game of poker.
The team, Arteta’s tactical brain and the emirates crowd (when has a crowd ever got older when their team concedes) has struck a fear factor in to opponents that has them second guessing and retreating.

It used to be said the Invincibles had teams beaten in the tunnel such was the aura and the physical size of them in such a narrow tunnel. I can totally understand that, the best Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool and City teams had the same effect - I used to bemoan teams rolling over away to some of these teams. We’re not at that level yet but we’re the last team anyone wants to face right now

Post #557424  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:51 pm 

Rich wrote:
I read something that many people are getting wrong, and I’ve been guilty of this as well. There is a lot of talk of ‘Arsenal having to pick up 4 points v City’ the reality is actually ‘City need to beat Arsenal twice’.

I know people are saying this because they expect City to come strong and we need more of a buffer but the reality is we could still lose to City twice and win all our other games and be champions and there is nothing City can do about it
True, but does anybody really think losing twice to City in the league would not have a major impact on our progress? To get the poor league record against them off our back we need a draw at least in one of those games.

Post #557425  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:00 pm 

Danjuma was ready to sign on loan for Everton, Medical done, photo in the shirt, fees and wages agreed, ready to join them for training and his agent didn’t send the relevant papers to the FA because spurs came in with a very late offer….and now the player is a spurs player. Papers loving the chance to use the hijacking term again.

I love to put spurs down so won’t miss this opportunity. If you’ve left it that late that the player you want is all but putting on his training bib for another club it seems like a bit of an ill planned transfer at best, or a panic move at worst.
Not sure Danjuma plays ahead of any of Kane, Son, Kulesevski or Richarlison. What spurs really need is to ditch the 5 at the back that has them outnumbered in midfield every game and bring in some midfielders who are in some way vaguely technically proficient. They need lots of other things as that’s just the tip of the iceberg. A right winger isn’t solving much for them

They also want this Porro right wing back guy, €37m bid rejected so far.
It’s funny that spurs are buying players to suit the 5-2-3 formation Conte plays which is hugely outdated and could leave them left with a load of players unsuited to the new manager. A collection of wing backs not good enough to be full backs or wingers is a classic example

Post #557426  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:31 pm 

Wow, Everton has been in the top flight for 69 years.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/hdl3x8yEVRk

Post #557427  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:40 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Rich wrote:

True, but does anybody really think losing twice to City in the league would not have a major impact on our progress? To get the poor league record against them off our back we need a draw at least in one of those games.

Two draws would be absolutely fine. But, I think we are getting well ahead of ourselves with talk of winning the rest of our games. We are only half way through the season. Points will be dropped by both sides. Our lead could disappear very quickly. Remember the season when Man Utd were 8 points clear with 5 games left and they lost it. And that's not to mention the impact of injuries. We are in a great position but there's a very long way to go.

Post #557428  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:56 pm 

Lets see where we are when we've played 30 games.

Post #557429  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:02 pm 

People are getting carried away but it’s only natural because of the spectacular way we swept aside united and spurs. 2 absolutely amazing games. Honestly those games will live in the memory. Just superb.

Sunday topped any game I’ve attended at the emirates. Sheer joy

Post #557430  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:50 pm 

Bored wrote:
Lets see where we are when we've played 30 games.

Indeed. And up to then, enjoy our brilliant team.

Post #557431  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:52 pm 

Now being linked with Onana at Everton. That move would make total sense and we are supposed to be in for a midfielder but I can’t see us spending 80 or 90 million in a January window.

Post #557432  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:53 pm 

dec wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Two draws would be absolutely fine. But, I think we are getting well ahead of ourselves with talk of winning the rest of our games. We are only half way through the season. Points will be dropped by both sides. Our lead could disappear very quickly. Remember the season when Man Utd were 8 points clear with 5 games left and they lost it. And that's not to mention the impact of injuries. We are in a great position but there's a very long way to go.

Kind of the point I’m making. Of course I and no-one thinks we’ll win all our other games apart from the two City ones. My point was that a lot of talk is about Arsenal needing to beat City but the pressure is on City to beat us. 2 draws as you said would be fine.

Post #557433  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:27 pm 

Just seen the tackle from Son in the Fulham game. I say tackle but it’s more like a stamp over the ball to the Fulham players shin.

People say he’s not that type of player but that’s purely based on him getting away with it all the time. It becomes a cycle that gets worse each time. Gets away with a red card so the next one he’s given the benefit of the doubt because he’s not that type of player.

Son had 3 red cards a few years back, he avoided one last night and avoided one for elbowing Holding in the head before holding himself got sent off for two yellows v Son in the same game.

Compare the reds Son has avoided and the very harsh reds that Xhaka has got and the reputations that f each player should really be swapped.

Romero is another who somehow avoids reds, there was the farcical hair pull not given a red by var, and against us he could easily have gone for two yellows.

Post #557434  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:49 pm 

Rich wrote:
dec wrote:

Kind of the point I’m making. Of course I and no-one thinks we’ll win all our other games apart from the two City ones. My point was that a lot of talk is about Arsenal needing to beat City but the pressure is on City to beat us. 2 draws as you said would be fine.

In the head to heads, it depends on the points gap. If we have the 8 point lead going into the first one, then City will be under more pressure. As the weeks go by, the pressure will probably be greater on us. It's been so long since we won the title, whereas City's players are doing it nearly every season.

Post #557435  Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:15 pm 

It will be interesting how Arteta plans to deal specifically with Haaland. Anyone in the midfield and forward line are more than capable of scoring but he's special.

Post #557436  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:43 am 

Everton now the third English club up for sale. Moshiri is selling for £500M. Fan protests must've gotten to him.

Post #557437  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:16 am 

Zed wrote:
Everton now the third English club up for sale. Moshiri is selling for £500M. Fan protests must've gotten to him.

Maybe we should put in a bid so Chelsea ends up with them ?

Post #557438  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:20 am 

Anyone buying this? Has some reasoning to it but......? Maybe its the cynic in me but I think they got him so we couldn't.

Post #557439  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:02 am 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:

In the head to heads, it depends on the points gap. If we have the 8 point lead going into the first one, then City will be under more pressure. As the weeks go by, the pressure will probably be greater on us. It's been so long since we won the title, whereas City's players are doing it nearly every season.

On the other hand, the longer the significant point gap lasts, the more pressure it will put on City. Pep is showing some signs of strain, and their priority will be the champs league.

Of course, the odds are good that they will get on one of their long winning runs and reel us in. But it doesn't feel as inevitable as it did when we first heard that Jesus was injured. Somehow, this time round it feels more convincing than it did the last couple of times we were on top of the league. I'd say its about 50/50 at the moment.

Post #557440  Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:04 am 

warrior wrote:
Zed wrote:

Maybe we should put in a bid so Chelsea ends up with them ?

:laughing7: :laughing7:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13933, 13934, 13935, 13936, 13937, 13938, 13939 ... 14269  Next