Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 90 guests

Post #550521  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:03 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Nuno Tavares has scored again for Marseille tonight

And Balogun scored another for Reims

Post #550522  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:21 pm 

socrates wrote:
EDIT:

Apparently VAR cannot step in and give a foul, its either a red or not so I was wrong. Still think the ref, who was looking right at it, should have spotted a foul.

That rule is very silly. Mindbogglingly so. When you review a decision your should advise the ref to give the correct decision, not just whether it was a red.

The parallel is with Trump's search warrant. They go in looking for X, but if they look in the safe and find Y, that is fair game.

Post #550523  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:39 pm 

Rich wrote:
Souness is getting it online for saying ‘it’s a man’s game’ and that’s what I like ‘men going at it’ when talking about the fracases in the Chelsea v spurs game.
It’s an old phrase and an unfortunate choice of words given the lift the women’s game has had this summer but people need to realise that’s all it is - clearly Souness is not implying women can’t or shouldn’t play football.
I’m sure Souness would be equally happy if there were a few flare ups in the womens game. Someone will be waiting to jump on whoever says it was just ‘handbags’ declaring that sexist.
The ravenous vitriol people seem to have online to take offence on behalf of other people and demand apologies, cancelling etc. it’s tiresome

The language police. They can *%^@ off as far as I'm concerned.

Post #550524  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:15 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Greetings Kiwi. Arteta is understandably a bit cautious about changing things when we are only a goal or two up. However, the bench is so good now that the rewards outweigh the risks. So hopefully we will gradually see earlier substitutes. On your last point, I guess it depends on what sort of midfielder we think we need.

Salutations Decaf ... yeah I realise a know nothing like myself would have us relegated in half a season .

I was just making a choice between the two Leicester men supposedly on offer .

Thinking on I was wondering who do you drop to accommodate either ....? after all Smith Rowe and Vieira are still to come back

Post #550525  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:26 pm 

Hair pulling isn't new. The December 2018 match at OT, which ended in a 2-2 draw, involved Fellaini pulling Guendouzi's hair as he was accelerating away from him and pulled Guendouzi down. This was all in front ref Andre Marriner at the time. Mariner only gave a free kick and no further action was taken towards Fellaini. Not even a caution.

Two weeks ago during the pre season match between Real Betis-Marseille, Guendouzi had his hair pulled by Mexico captain, Andres Guardado. No punishment given. So nothing new in it.

Not saying it doesn't matter, but apparently some refs don't see it as punishable.

Post #550526  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:38 pm 

Bernard wrote:
He will have more business acumen in a strand of hair from his wig (let alone little finger) than the rest of us. You don’t accumulate the vast fortune he has without it.

Marrying one of the Walmart heirs was a good bit of business acumen . Winning the Super Bowl this year would have topped up the coffers .

Maybe he was waiting to get his US sporting affairs sorted before concentrating on Arsenal .

He paid $ 550 million to move the Rams from St Louis to Los Angeles then he [ and the NRL ] paid $ 790 million in compensation to St Louis .

He then he forked out $ 5.5 BILLION for a new 70,000 seater stadium . Once he got all that lot in place he thinks now let's sort the Premier League

Post #550527  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:37 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:
He will have more business acumen in a strand of hair from his wig (let alone little finger) than the rest of us. You don’t accumulate the vast fortune he has without it.

Marrying one of the Walmart heirs was a good bit of business acumen . Winning the Super Bowl this year would have topped up the coffers .

Maybe he was waiting to get his US sporting affairs sorted before concentrating on Arsenal .

He paid $ 550 million to move the Rams from St Louis to Los Angeles then he [ and the NRL ] paid $ 790 million in compensation to St Louis .

He then he forked out $ 5.5 BILLION for a new 70,000 seater stadium . Once he got all that lot in place he thinks now let's sort the Premier League

I really don’t know if it’s the case but I have read he made his fortune independently from marrying Ann.

Post #550528  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:42 pm 

Zed wrote:
Hair pulling isn't new. The December 2018 match at OT, which ended in a 2-2 draw, involved Fellaini pulling Guendouzi's hair as he was accelerating away from him and pulled Guendouzi down. This was all in front ref Andre Marriner at the time. Mariner only gave a free kick and no further action was taken towards Fellaini. Not even a caution.

Two weeks ago during the pre season match between Real Betis-Marseille, Guendouzi had his hair pulled by Mexico captain, Andres Guardado. No punishment given. So nothing new in it.

Not saying it doesn't matter, but apparently some refs don't see it as punishable.

While the pundits thought it was violent play, MOTD2 tonight said there was no mention of hair pulling when violent play is defined in the regulations. Sounds like the rules of the game may need to be reworded.

Post #550529  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:56 am 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
They just showed the replay a couple more times, and I have to say it's a shocking decision rather than just a very poor one. Clear as day, Romero pulls Cucurella down by the hair. Should be a red card and a free kick, instead Tottenham gets another corner and steal two points from Chelsea. I don't mind Chelsea being robbed of points but VAR has to do better than that. Could be us next time.

I’m finding it absolutely impossible to feel any sympathy for Chelsea at all. This is a club whose trophies since the early nineties were funded by a Russian oligarch and from that so is the club’s current elevated standing in the game.

While I agree it could be us next time, this time it was the turn of Chelsea. It’s something that can happen to any and every club. At the end of the day, the incident lead to two of Arsenal’s main challengers for a top four place dropping a couple of points each instead of Chelsea not dropping any and Tottenham dropping three. I still believe a draw today was the best result for us and whether or not it happened via a bad refereeing decision, I don’t care.

If Chelsea feel cheated, I’m really not bothered. Just like their fans won’t be if it happens to Arsenal.

I may be bothered if that point for spurs gets them some advantage over us at the end of the season.

Post #550530  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:22 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I’m finding it absolutely impossible to feel any sympathy for Chelsea at all. This is a club whose trophies since the early nineties were funded by a Russian oligarch and from that so is the club’s current elevated standing in the game.

While I agree it could be us next time, this time it was the turn of Chelsea. It’s something that can happen to any and every club. At the end of the day, the incident lead to two of Arsenal’s main challengers for a top four place dropping a couple of points each instead of Chelsea not dropping any and Tottenham dropping three. I still believe a draw today was the best result for us and whether or not it happened via a bad refereeing decision, I don’t care.

If Chelsea feel cheated, I’m really not bothered. Just like their fans won’t be if it happens to Arsenal.

I may be bothered if that point for spurs gets them some advantage over us at the end of the season.

Isn’t it just as likely 2 extra points would give Chelsea some advantage over us? I look at it mathematically. A draw means they dropped 2 points each, so a total of 4 for the clubs who may well be our closest challengers for a top four spot. A win for either club means 3 points would have dropped between them. If the goal had been disallowed, specifically Tottenham would have dropped 3 and Chelsea would have dropped zero or 0.

At this stage of the season when it’s too early to say who will be stronger between them, I would rather our potentially closest challengers drop 4 points in a single game (2+2) than 3 (3+0).

Post #550531  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:29 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Isn’t it just as likely 2 extra points would give Chelsea some advantage over us? I look at it mathematically. A draw means they dropped 2 points each, so a total of 4 for the clubs who may well be our closest challengers for a top four spot. A win for either club means 3 points would have dropped between them. If the goal had been disallowed, specifically Tottenham would have dropped 3 and Chelsea would have dropped zero or 0.

At this stage of the season when it’s too early to say who will be stronger between them, I would rather our potentially closest challengers drop 4 points in a single game (2+2) than 3 (3+0).

But that fail to take into account the hate factor. I hate Spurs more and they benefited from the dodgy decision.

Post #550532  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:48 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:

But that fail to take into account the hate factor. I hate Spurs more and they benefited from the dodgy decision.

Hate is a side issue that clouds judgement. I prefer to consider what is apparently best for Arsenal. At this early stage of the season when we don’t know what will happen for sure, it looks better for our potentially biggest challengers to drop four points between them than three.

Sure, if Chelsea end up mid-table what would have been the best result for Arsenal yesterday may change. But that looks extremely unlikely to me.

Post #550533  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:54 am 

So far, it appears the 3 big London clubs will battle it out for 3rd to 5th. We may see a change in management on the red side of Manchester before the season is out. Man Utd will play well against us. I feel it. I am worried about that one. A draw will feel like a loss.

Post #550534  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:59 am 

Zed wrote:

https://youtu.be/a91mrDs6dSE
As pointed out on MOTD this hair pull by Hutu on Fellaini resulted in post match video review and a 3 match ban for Huth for violent conduct. So given plenty of time the PGMOL concluded pulling someone’s hair violently enough to throw their neck back is a red card offence….and then decide a few years later it isn’t.

Post #550535  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:13 am 

Furious boss cancels Man Utd’s day off as players forced into humiliating training exercise

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/p ... 76ca5347a8

Post #550536  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:36 am 

Looking ahead at our coming fixtures, I wonder when the first banana skin of the season will come. When the team is playing well, it's always difficult to imagine it will suddenly stop, but at some point it will. Our next six league games look like games we should be able to win, but it's extremely unlikely that we start the season with 8 straight wins - not even Man City did that the season they got 100 points.

Bournemouth might actually be a tricky fixture. I wouldn't be surprised to see them relegated in the end, but facing these newly promoted teams early on can be difficult. They started with a good win against Villa, and their loss against City is pretty easy to write off. They're still on that early season buzz, and their fans will be well up for it.

Post #550537  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:37 am 

warrior wrote:
Furious boss cancels Man Utd’s day off as players forced into humiliating training exercise

They talked about that on MOTD2 last night.

Post #550538  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:41 am 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

While the pundits thought it was violent play, MOTD2 tonight said there was no mention of hair pulling when violent play is defined in the regulations. Sounds like the rules of the game may need to be reworded.

I suppose it's not in the same category as shirt pulling. Even an elbow or hand push to the face many times is not considered by some even to warrant a yellow card, let alone a red. Then again, as seen often, depends on which club is doing the violation.

Post #550539  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:49 am 

Zed wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I suppose it's not in the same category as shirt pulling. Even an elbow or hand push to the face many times is not considered by some even to warrant a yellow card, let alone a red. Then again, as seen often, depends on which club is doing the violation.

I also think that Chelsea player deserves a booking for having a hair style like that. He’s a professional footballer not some guitarist from a 1970s hard rock band.

Post #550540  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:49 am 

warrior wrote:

Not that it will do any good necessarily. Players appeared to have their own agenda in the Brentford match. Ten Hag needs more than severe training exercises. Needs an overhaul of their mentality, among other things.

Post #550541  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:58 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Looking ahead at our coming fixtures, I wonder when the first banana skin of the season will come. When the team is playing well, it's always difficult to imagine it will suddenly stop, but at some point it will. Our next six league games look like games we should be able to win, but it's extremely unlikely that we start the season with 8 straight wins - not even Man City did that the season they got 100 points.

Bournemouth might actually be a tricky fixture. I wouldn't be surprised to see them relegated in the end, but facing these newly promoted teams early on can be difficult. They started with a good win against Villa, and their loss against City is pretty easy to write off. They're still on that early season buzz, and their fans will be well up for it.

Like you I expect Bournemouth to be relegated but it will be a difficult fixture. After that our next away games are Manchester United and Brentford. We may have better players than all of them, but to win all three will be extraordinary.

Don’t write off forthcoming home games as guaranteed wins either. Football isn’t that predictable. Otherwise everyone would make fortunes from betting on the results of games.

Post #550542  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:21 am 

Apparently Souness said that Aubameyang 'struggled' in the premier league.

His goal record was phenomenal, golden boot once, runner up golden boot once, settled straight away with 10 goals in his first half season. The last few months weren't good but his focus was gone - he certainly didn't struggle.

I don't mind Souness as a pundit but he has too much of a tendency to judge players football ability based solely on his views on their attitude and whether Souness thinks they're a 'real man' who would shout and scream and throw a punch at a team mate in the dressing room and die for the cause. He often strikes me as one of those 'in my day' pundits

Post #550543  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:36 am 

Rich wrote:
Apparently Souness said that Aubameyang 'struggled' in the premier league.

His goal record was phenomenal, golden boot once, runner up golden boot once, settled straight away with 10 goals in his first half season. The last few months weren't good but his focus was gone - he certainly didn't struggle.

He may make me eat my words if Chelsea buy him, but I think Aubameyang would be a very high risk signing and I would almost expect him to flop.

Us Arsenal fans know him better than most - on his day he's a wonderful goalscorer, but apart from scoring he doesn't really do much else. He doesn't press well, he's not a hard worker, his hold up play and ability to link up with teammates is quite frankly very poor. He's a finisher and that's it, and sometimes that's fine, I just don't see him working under Tuchel who demands a lot more from his strikers as we've seen with the failure of Lukaku, Werner etc.

Post #550544  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:39 am 

Completely agree with your second point about pundits judging players too much by their supposed 'attitude'. It's how Maguire has been able to maintain his reputation for so long, even though he's looked out of his depth at Man Utd from the minute they signed him. They see the 'determination' and think he's a leader, when he's just a very mediocre (by PL top club standards) defender who tries to cover his flaws by shouting a lot.

Post #550545  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:29 am 

And Souness's comment about it being a "man's game" whilst sitting next to Karen Carney was as crass and daft as anything else that went on yesterday.

Post #550546  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:35 am 

I honestly think introducing more female pundits has been so refreshing for the coverage. They understand the game every bit as well as the retired male pros and are there entirely on merit IMO. Gaby Logan is a fabulous anchor and her presentation of the Euros was superb. Alex Scott has become a really confident pundit too.

Post #550547  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:40 am 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Like you I expect Bournemouth to be relegated but it will be a difficult fixture. After that our next away games are Manchester United and Brentford. We may have better players than all of them, but to win all three will be extraordinary.

Don’t write off forthcoming home games as guaranteed wins either. Football isn’t that predictable. Otherwise everyone would make fortunes from betting on the results of games.

I sometimes feel every game is a potential banana skin. No matter how good you are if you drop off your level, particularly away from home, and your lesser fancied opponent is right on it then you'll drop points.
I sometimes look at matches and think what would I be satisfied with (not happy with). Very broadly speaking I'm always disappointed if we fail to win our home games against anyone outside the big 6. Away from home there are grounds where after a few hours of reflection after the final whistle you can be satisfied with a draw - obviously the top 6, but also West Ham, Palace, brighton, Newcastle maybe Brentford. A lot of this is factored against other results as well though....

So for our next 6 games up to the NLD I'd be satisfied with draws at Man U and Brentford if we win v B'mouth, Fulham, Villa, Everton. I think most Arsenal fans would be disappointed to drop points in those 3 home games, and away to Bournemouth.

Post #550548  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:42 am 

Darren wrote:
I honestly think introducing more female pundits has been so refreshing for the coverage. They understand the game every bit as well as the retired male pros and are there entirely on merit IMO. Gaby Logan is a fabulous anchor and her presentation of the Euros was superb. Alex Scott has become a really confident pundit too.

It's the same here in Sweden. The thing is, being a good pundit seems to have very little to do with how much football experience one has. Sven-Göran Eriksson was a pundit for a while; he's by far the most decorated Swedish manager of all time, having won the league and cup double in three different countries, won the Serie A with Lazio, managed England and so on, and he's one of the worst pundits I've ever seen. Just a mumbling cliché machine. Conversely, some of the best pundits we have weren't anything special at all in their active careers, several of them never played above the Swedish top league.

Post #550549  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:42 am 

Dean Henderson chose a good moment to save a penalty and win 1-0. He's on loan from Man U whilst De Gea is throwing them in. Henderson had a fair bit to say about how he was treated at Man U last season - it was a brave(silly) move to talk about it so publically, he had to back that up with performances - very good timing!

Post #550550  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:43 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
Souness is getting it online for saying ‘it’s a man’s game’ and that’s what I like ‘men going at it’ when talking about the fracases in the Chelsea v spurs game.
It’s an old phrase and an unfortunate choice of words given the lift the women’s game has had this summer but people need to realise that’s all it is - clearly Souness is not implying women can’t or shouldn’t play football.
I’m sure Souness would be equally happy if there were a few flare ups in the womens game. Someone will be waiting to jump on whoever says it was just ‘handbags’ declaring that sexist.
The ravenous vitriol people seem to have online to take offence on behalf of other people and demand apologies, cancelling etc. it’s tiresome

The language police. They can *%^@ off as far as I'm concerned.

Nobody is referring to this incident and calling him out as a sexist but it would be a daft comment to make once with a female player sat next to you but he then repeated it later!

It is worth observing though that he came across as a clueless prat from the 80s and that generally his comments yesterday were a load of tosh and forgive me for saying this but he might have had a few. It’s not really about the comment being sexist.

Post #550551  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:44 am 

Freddie Ljungberg is another one who is quite poor. It's interesting to hear him talk about Arsenal, as he has a lot of insight into the club and players, but his analysis of tactics and other clubs is very mediocre and never brings anything to the table that isn't just the same old talking points you've heard a thousand times before.

Post #550552  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:50 am 

The male tv pundits typically fall into different categories

The old pro who thinks he’s “ard” still. Ala Keane and souness

The thinker who considers himself intellectual (when he isn’t) Neville and Garth Crooks

The fun ones, ala Ian wright and Micah Richards

I usually prefer listening to the later. Alan Hansen got it to a fine art and avoided talking bollocks, for what it’s worth I always thinks Lee Dixon talks a lot of sense.

If I’m honest I think Alex Scott is a great pundit but most of the other female peers aren’t interesting really but I like the female presenters like Gaby Logan and Kelly cates.

Post #550553  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:50 am 

Arsenal have announced Xhaka and Jesus are in the 'leadership group' - effectively vice captains.

Xhaka has done more than enough with his game and the relationship with the fans to be comfortable wearing the captains armband in games

Post #550554  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:34 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I usually prefer listening to the later. Alan Hansen got it to a fine art and avoided talking bollocks,

In my view Alan Hansen was the best pundit I’ve seen. Made a huge contribution to MOTD.

EDIT: Must admit, of the current MOTD ones I don’t mind Danny Murphy and Jermaine Jenas.

Post #550555  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:51 am 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

Wouldn't it be taken as read that anything that would qualify as assault under the law, and isn't explicitly excluded by the rules of the game (i.e. fair contact when going for the ball) is violent and/or ungentlemanly?

Post #550556  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:00 am 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Wouldn't it be taken as read that anything that would qualify as assault under the law, and isn't explicitly excluded by the rules of the game (i.e. fair contact when going for the ball) is violent and/or ungentlemanly?

I would have thought so, but who knows? I’ve never read the rules and regulations and have no intention of ever doing so.

However, MOTD2 felt it worth mentioning that hair pulling is not mentioned when violent conduct is defined.

Post #550557  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:03 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I usually prefer listening to the later. Alan Hansen got it to a fine art and avoided talking bollocks,

In my view Alan Hansen was the best pundit I’ve seen. Made a huge contribution to MOTD.

EDIT: Must admit, of the current MOTD ones I don’t mind Danny Murphy and Jermaine Jenas.

He had an amazing voice in real life that maybe didn’t quite come across on the tv.

I was in an airport business lounge when a deep authoritative voice started up and permeated the room. Not loud but completely compelling. I turned to see the source and it was the man himself. I remain impressed.

Post #550558  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:05 am 

Hazuki wrote:
It's the same here in Sweden. The thing is, being a good pundit seems to have very little to do with how much football experience one has. Sven-Göran Eriksson was a pundit for a while; he's by far the most decorated Swedish manager of all time, having won the league and cup double in three different countries, won the Serie A with Lazio, managed England and so on, and he's one of the worst pundits I've ever seen. Just a mumbling cliché machine. Conversely, some of the best pundits we have weren't anything special at all in their active careers, several of them never played above the Swedish top league.

Living in Philadelphia I get all of my EPL from NBCSPORTS. Rebecca Lowe is a terrific anchor…passionate, articulate and knowledgeable
Although he wasn’t in the very top flight as a player Robbie Mustoe is a very smart and perceptive analyst …all in all I enjoy their coverage a lot
I also like Andy Townsend as a co commentator

Post #550559  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:13 am 

Andy Green wrote:
Living in Philadelphia I get all of my EPL from NBCSPORTS. Rebecca Lowe is a terrific anchor…passionate, articulate and knowledgeable
Although he wasn’t in the very top flight as a player Robbie Mustoe is a very smart and perceptive analyst …all in all I enjoy their coverage a lot
I also like Andy Townsend as a co commentator

I always watch Sportscene, the BBC Scotland version of MOTD. There’s one who’s regularly on it (not every time) who comes across very well. No idea what his name is but have a feeling he may have formerly played for Hearts.

Post #550560  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:56 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I would have thought so, but who knows? I’ve never read the rules and regulations and have no intention of ever doing so.

However, MOTD2 felt it worth mentioning that hair pulling is not mentioned when violent conduct is defined.

Violent conduct is defined as
Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.

I’m not surprised hair pulling isn’t specifically mentioned in the same way grabbing a twisting an opponents testicles isn’t. So it all comes down to whether the ref or var subjectively feels the action was excessive force or brutality……Mike Dean on var must have considered the force of Romero’s hair pull as ‘negligible’….hmm

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13761, 13762, 13763, 13764, 13765, 13766, 13767 ... 14269  Next