Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 90 guests

Post #540961  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:48 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
They are going to turn it down aren’t they :laughing7:

Paranoia will reach breitbart levels.

Richter scale 10 level

Post #540962  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:52 am 

Bernard wrote:
I’m with DHD on this and hope it isn’t postponed. It would be far better to play them without Son .

Same here I'm a bit of Que Sera Sera person ....... get on with it .

It does have a bit of a win / win for us .

We lose .... " Oh well so what ; we had to field a severely under strength team . "

We win .... :laughing7: :laughing7: "we rolled you knobs with our reserves ""

Post #540963  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:30 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
Spurs are reportedly annoyed at arsenal asking for the game to be called off, potentially because of the late timing…..which is quite rich for a team who let Rennes fly to London before they told them they asked for the game to be called off

Good spot. :58big-emoticons:

Wow. Well, I understand. I fancy a full strength or near full strength Arsenal against the same for Sperz right now. Although Son and Kane scare me to death.

Post #540964  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:31 am 

Unavoidable I guess but I worry about too many games near each other with all this re-scheduling.

Post #540965  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:19 am 

I’m certain the FA will make us play. I think there has been too much pressure from the media now. Neville and Carragher had a bit rant about it last night, Neville said ‘I should have spoken out about this a few weeks ago’ - well you didn’t Gary and two of our direct rivals for a top 4 spot and our cup semi final opponents have benefitted from postponements with no questions asked or thresholds tested.

Burnley had their game called off, Burnley have a small squad but I don’t think there is anything in the rules that says clubs must have a big squad and conduct their transfer window business in a way to ensure any postponements are avoided.

Post #540966  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:39 am 

Rich wrote:
I’m certain the FA will make us play.

I really hope you’re right.

Post #540967  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:32 am 

The main arguments I’ve seen in the media are:

Arsenal have loaned players and now find themselves short - Burnley sold Wood and got their postponement agreed

Arsenal can’t cite AFCON as a reason. Leicester did and got their postponement request agreed

Arsenal should just play their U23’s. Arsenal U23 had a game last night!

To be honest I don’t care whether we play the game or not, what I care about is the fairness of the competition. The precedents have been set and there is no reason the rule should suddenly change for us. Of course we weren’t allowed postponements at the start of the season either. To see other teams totally game the system to their advantage and our disadvantage would really stick in the throat of our game isn’t also called off.

If they make us play then Arteta needs a Graham-esque speach to the squad a la ‘91 when we were docked those 2 points

Post #540968  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:24 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
I’m certain the FA will make us play.

I understand you are excited about going but with 13 fit players and 2 of them keepers we will inevitably get Smashed to pieces if it does go ahead.

I’d rather watch a live sex show starring my grandparents than go to the Lane and watch that

Also that would put spurs in prime position for fourth.

Post #540969  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:42 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I understand you are excited about going but with 13 fit players and 2 of them keepers we will inevitably get Smashed to pieces if it does go ahead.

I’d rather watch a live sex show starring my grandparents than go to the Lane and watch that

Also that would put spurs in prime position for fourth.

I’ve obviously a lot more confidence than you in our players. As even Rich admitted, I have little or no doubt that a number of our supposedly injured players will suddenly regain their fitness and be in the squad for the game.

Tottenham have two outstanding players: Kane and Son. Maybe three with Lloris and I’d rather Leno than him, let alone Ramsdale. Son would miss the game if it’s tomorrow. I think we can get a positive result against Tottenham without Son.

I just don’t get the fuss some of you are making about this.

Post #540970  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:55 am 

If we can put out the following team, even if a few are carrying a niggle or are 80% fit:
Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, Holding, Gabriel, Tierney, White, Lokonga, Saka, Martinelli, Emile Smith Rowe, Lacazette then play the game and I’d be confident of beating Spurs.

However there are doubts over Tomiyasu, Saka, Emile Smith Rowe - that’s huge for us.

I’d rather all teams just played the games but the frustration for me would be forcing us to play when others have been allowed to postpone. If we play the game there is no doubt for me that it’s the influence of sky who wouldn’t want their prime NLD game outlined, just as they didn’t want the Friday match v Brentford gone on the first day of the season

Post #540971  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:05 am 

Rich wrote:
If we can put out the following team, even if a few are carrying a niggle or are 80% fit:
Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, Holding, Gabriel, Tierney, White, Lokonga, Saka, Martinelli, Emile Smith Rowe, Lacazette then play the game and I’d be confident of beating Spurs.

However there are doubts over Tomiyasu, Saka, Emile Smith Rowe - that’s huge for us.

I’d rather all teams just played the games but the frustration for me would be forcing us to play when others have been allowed to postpone. If we play the game there is no doubt for me that it’s the influence of sky who wouldn’t want their prime NLD game outlined, just as they didn’t want the Friday match v Brentford gone on the first day of the season

I read that Tierney won’t play either

Post #540972  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:21 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I’d rather watch a live sex show starring my grandparents...
I saw that one - don't bother...

Post #540973  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:38 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I'd rather watch a live sex show starring my grandparents...

Post #540974  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:38 am 

Couldn't care less if the NLD is postponed but have to say Spurs have played six matches since Boxing Day and we have played four. If the fixture schedule is not changed then by end of January we will have played six matches against the nine of Spurs. Hard to see how any decision to go ahead tomorrow is that bad for us? Even if they beat us Spurs have another game coming up on Wednesday.

On the wider point I agree with Neville that games should not be postponed because clubs have players injured, banned or away on international duty.

Post #540975  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:43 am 

The issue you have is there is too much football anyway, chuck in AFCON and that’s a major hit… add covid another major hit and players coming out of isolation not training and being asked to play immediately. It’s ridiculous

How much football has saka played recently. It can’t be a shock he’s picked up a knock

Post #540976  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:46 am 

Rich wrote:
I’m certain the FA will make us play. I think there has been too much pressure from the media now.

Here's an interview about our match from a top FA official.

Post #540977  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:59 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Couldn't care less if the NLD is postponed but have to say Spurs have played six matches since Boxing Day and we have played four. If the fixture schedule is not changed then by end of January we will have played six matches against the nine of Spurs. Hard to see how any decision to go ahead tomorrow is that bad for us? Even if they beat us Spurs have another game coming up on Wednesday.

It’s a 6 pointer. They go above us with 2 games in hand. It would make it highly unlikely we would finish above them.

The fact that Arsenal were happy to support liverpools request for postponement and spurs aren’t tells you all you need to know about the class of the clubs involved

Post #540978  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:21 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
It’s a 6 pointer. They go above us with 2 games in hand. It would make it highly unlikely we would finish above them.

I'm not so sure about this, to be honest. They would have games in hand, but also a much tougher schedule in the second half of the season - they still haven't played Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man United or Leicester away. We've gotten four of those fixtures out of the way. I think they also have a weaker team than we do.

Post #540979  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:24 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
The issue you have is there is too much football anyway, chuck in AFCON and that’s a major hit… add covid another major hit and players coming out of isolation not training and being asked to play immediately. It’s ridiculous

How much football has saka played recently. It can’t be a shock he’s picked up a knock

I’ve long felt that the Premier League should have eighteen clubs to make it a 34 game fixture list. But I don’t suppose those who think they might ever be relegated would vote for it.

Do other countries have two domestic cups, like England have the FA Cup and whatever the League Cup is called in any season?

Post #540980  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:26 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Difficult for someone of my generation to sympathise - brought up on a 42 match league; FA Cup and League Cup with replays to a finish; internationals played on the same day as league matches taking key players away. Nobody complained about too much football. I recall Jack Kelsey and Danny Clapton playing in an England v Wales match in the afternoon at Villa Park and then turning out against Juve in the evening at Highbury!

Post #540981  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:27 am 

Anyway, shouldn't a decision have been made by now? Since it's a London derby it doesn't involve the same amount of travel as other fixtures, but the clubs and match going fans surely needs to know soon if the game is going to be played or not. With the rules the PL have set in these situations it shouldn't take long to investigate.

Post #540982  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:33 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
It’s a 6 pointer. They go above us with 2 games in hand. It would make it highly unlikely we would finish above them. The fact that Arsenal were happy to support liverpools request for postponement and spurs aren’t tells you all you need to know about the class of the clubs involved
They have never forgiven us for 10 March 1919. As for league placings, defeat or not there is almost half a season of football left after tomorrow, so despair not.

Post #540983  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:44 am 

Some whispers that Kane is out for tomorrow. Can we withdraw our request for postponement? Tottenham without Kane and Son, we could play them for three days straight and they wouldn't score.

Post #540984  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:46 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Anyway, shouldn't a decision have been made by now? Since it's a London derby it doesn't involve the same amount of travel as other fixtures, but the clubs and match going fans surely needs to know soon if the game is going to be played or not. With the rules the PL have set in these situations it shouldn't take long to investigate.
They are waiting on Sue Gray's report...

Post #540985  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:23 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I’d rather watch a live sex show starring my grandparents...

'Up The Arsenal' :1laughter:

Post #540986  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:42 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Difficult for someone of my generation to sympathise - brought up on a 42 match league; FA Cup and League Cup with replays to a finish; internationals played on the same day as league matches taking key players away. Nobody complained about too much football. I recall Jack Kelsey and Danny Clapton playing in an England v Wales match in the afternoon at Villa Park and then turning out against Juve in the evening at Highbury!

You forgot to mention no substitutes and full blooded tackles (aka assault).

Post #540987  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:15 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

You forgot to mention no substitutes and full blooded tackles (aka assault).
Yes, and the almost universal quagmire playing conditions during the hardest months of winter. Guys like Armstrong, Radford and Talbot would regard playing today as a jolly.

Post #540988  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:17 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

If you're talking about the 70s - and Talbot playing 70 games in 1979/80 during our endless-replays era - I hear what you're saying. But, as for the era of Kelsey and Clapton, there was no League Cup and no European football (for Arsenal, anyway). With barely 45 games a season (for Clapton, at least - did his one England cap really coincide with a match against Juventus the same evening?), the likes of those two were probably pleased to occasionally play a couple of games a day to relieve the endless football-less boredom of the rest of the year.

Post #540989  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:22 pm 

Lots of reports that the NLD is called off

Post #540990  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:23 pm 

Rich wrote:
Lots of reports that the NLD is called off

Confirmed.

Bugger.

Post #540991  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:28 pm 

The NLD is the 20th game to be postponed, the first Arsenal have requested - not sure I heard too much analysis of squads and criticism at any of the other 19…..let’s see how this news goes down.

Post #540992  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:44 pm 

Appalling decision

back in the day john Radford would have played a game in the morning, one in Africa in the afternoon whilst having bird flu and would have got fingered by jimmy saville as well. Games gone mad.

Post #540993  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:50 pm 

Feels like a lot of the outrage from Tottenham is because they know they'd struggle to win against a full strength Arsenal side. Anyway, if the PL board decides it's within the rules, there's not much to say about Arsenal applying to get the game postponed.

Post #540994  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:56 pm 

Arsenal website says NLD off.

Post #540995  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:57 pm 

Rich wrote:
The NLD is the 20th game to be postponed, the first Arsenal have requested - not sure I heard too much analysis of squads and criticism at any of the other 19…..let’s see how this news goes down.

Sky deliberately took a stance on this last night and today because tomorrow's game is their prime event of the weekend. It is one thing that really bugs me about Neville. He has cultivated this image as this articulate, passionate commentator who is forthright in speaking his mind. In reality, he is a loud spokesman for Sky.

Post #540996  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:12 pm 

Nothing would sum up the premier league more than Arsenal fielding an unprepared squad of 13 for a north London derby, getting smashed and sky pundits pointing out “tactical flaws” and not even mentioning the obvious.

*%^@ Neville and all these other moaning twats

Post #540997  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:15 pm 

Be hilarious if the young Serb was signed in time for the rearranged fixture.

Happy it’s been postponed, a lot of energy expended at anfield.

Post #540998  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:16 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Nothing would sum up the premier league more than Arsenal fielding an unprepared squad of 13 for a north London derby, getting smashed and sky pundits pointing out “tactical flaws” and not even mentioning the obvious.

You can just see it, can't you. 'What is Miguel Azeez doing there? Him and Charlie Patino completely lost the midfield in the second half, shocking stuff from Arsenal, they won't get top 4 playing like this.'

Post #540999  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:19 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

You can just see it, can't you. 'What is Miguel Azeez doing there? Him and Charlie Patino completely lost the midfield in the second half, shocking stuff from Arsenal, they won't get top 4 playing like this.'

Neville is a huge critic of teams hoarding young english players and them not getting proper game time, so we send Balogun and AMN on loan to get that game time and then it is used against us in his criticism of getting a game postponed.

I'll say it again, 19 previous games have been postponed and not a single critical word was uttered or written by the mainstrem press and media.

Yes we're taking advantage of the rules, just as every other team has done, if anyone is looking to place blame look at the Premier League who should have made the rules clear from the start of the season. I have absolutely no doubt if everyone had been made to play every game no matter what we'd be in a stronger position in the league than we currently are.

Post #541000  Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:28 pm 

Just got back home from playing tennis. Feeling of relief at the news of the postponement.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13522, 13523, 13524, 13525, 13526, 13527, 13528 ... 14269  Next