Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 183 guests

Post #522161  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:07 am 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Luiz was my first suspect when the training incident came out. He likes to talk. He likes to be the centre of attention. He likes to be popular. Nothing wrong with any of these traits. But, reporters know how to suss it out of them.

Unless I misunderstood it myself, you didn’t notice Hodd’s post then? Özil has to be the most likely candidate surely? I’d have said that from the start. He knew his playing career at Arsenal was over and he presumably resented Arteta. Who else could it be, whatever anyone says of Luiz?

For the avoidance of doubt, my post is my view not a statement of fact

Post #522162  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:13 am 

Matt Ryan from Brighton in on loan as cover for Leno. Decent.

Post #522163  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:13 am 

And if you thought signing Ødegaard would be a sobering moment I present exhibit A

https://www.arsenal.com/news/mat-ryan-j ... end-season

Post #522164  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:40 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Matt Ryan from Brighton in on loan as cover for Leno. Decent.

Yes, Fans of other teams will scoff but on a 6 month loan, prem experience, unlikely to play many games but is there as a better back up than Runnarsson.

Then go and sign the no.1 target in the summer.

One interesting thing though is that Arsenal now have 1 sapre non-home grown place in the squad following the exits of Özil, Sokratis and Kolasinac - it is Kolasinac's space that is free. Ryan will have to take that spot as he's an Aussie. But if Ødegaard signs as well he's over 21 and non home grown so we would need to move another player out of the squad. Perhaps Runarsson will go out on loan and a youth gk will become the 3rd choice GK?

Post #522165  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:47 am 

Still seem a good idea ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ducts.html

Post #522166  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:50 am 

Mat Ryan is a really solid Premier League quality keeper - and an Arsenal fan as well. I remember years ago, when he was playing for Central Coast Mariners in Australia and he said he was a Gooner. I hoped one day he'd get his chance...

Post #522167  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:51 am 

HoddGooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Unless I misunderstood it myself, you didn’t notice Hodd’s post then? Özil has to be the most likely candidate surely? I’d have said that from the start. He knew his playing career at Arsenal was over and he presumably resented Arteta. Who else could it be, whatever anyone says of Luiz?

Thanks. Even if it’s not a fact, it sounds an entirely logical suspicion.

Post #522168  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:35 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Boris Johnson, what a guy.

Post #522169  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:33 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

7 goals and 9 assists is pretty impressive. He’s obviously not aware of the forum suggestion that modern midfielders don’t have to score and Create goals and generally play well.

Does feel like we are a bit of a Real Madrid B club with these loans but will at least give us some legs if he comes in

Fabrizio Romano and David Ornstein both saying the deal is basically done.
Real Madrid B isn't a nice feeling but Real Madrid have a history of letting talented players leave just because they want the new shiniest toy. The two that spring to mind are Robben and Snieder who both won multiple titles and champions leagues after leaving Madrid.
Doesn't seem like there is an option to buy.
If our first choice attacking mid wasn't available or was too pricey in this window then getting a younger, hungry loan player in for 6 months is smarter than overpaying, settling for 2nd choice, getting nobody or loaning an older player who is on easy street.

So we are like Huddersfield with Smith Rowe last season. :laughing7:

Post #522170  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:29 pm 

Some talk today of back up left back transfer plans for Arsenal. Two options are two english players who are both out of contract in the summer, both at different ends of their career and I didn't realise either were out of contract.
Ryan Bertrand (31) from Southampton
Tyrick Mitchell (21) from Palace

Of those it has to be Mitchell. Bertrand would I assume demand a decent size wage as his last big deal and has no sell on value. Mitchell has been quietly impressive for Palace this season and I was surprised he was out of contract at the end of the season

Post #522171  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:37 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Typical TG talking through his ass again.

Why do you blame Boris when it's games being played by your wonderful unelected friends who are playing games.

Mind you it's not as bad as banning the sale of our sausages in the EU or taking a drivers ham sandwiches is it?

Post #522172  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:41 pm 

Please can we stop with the Brexit stuff. Pleeeaaasssse.

Post #522173  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:49 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I’d be shocked if it’s not David Luiz

It’s in the chelsea players handbook to leak information to the press on what’s happening inside the changing rooms and apparently Luiz was at the heart of Mourinhos departure when he did the same. Luiz was dropped shortly after and now Rob Holding is playing-every game.

Luiz was my first suspect when the training incident came out. He likes to talk. He likes to be the centre of attention. He likes to be popular. Nothing wrong with any of these traits. But, reporters know how to suss it out of them.

Or maybe Willian. Steak seasonings anyone? :15laughter:

Post #522174  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:51 pm 

Ash wrote:
Liverpool languishing in fourth, oh the ignominy!!

I don’t really know what that word means but I think I’ve used it in the right context.

Seen we’ve been linked with Martin Ødegaard on loan til the end of the season from Real Madrid. I think the prospect of not being able to sign him would just make me sad. But would be fun! He’ll certainly ensure we don’t burn out Emile Smith Rowe.

I remember thinking at the time when he was picking his next club he’s got to go to Ajax surely, and rolled my eyes when he went to Real. Still think that would have been the best move for him, they sell players with slightly less stress than Dortmund which would have been another good move for him.

Wish Arsenal were languishing in 4th.

Post #522175  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:06 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Mind you it's not as bad as banning the sale of our sausages in the EU or taking a drivers ham sandwiches is it?

Yeah we made that decision. We decided to leave the customs union.

So even now you still don’t understand it yet :laughing7:

Post #522176  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:10 pm 

Since Vieira left there has always been talk of 'the next Vieira' and it has resurfaced with Thomas Partey - who out of all the signings we've made in CM looks like he has the capability to fill the shoes better than any before him. In the little we've seen of him he appears to have strength, mobility, technical quality, crisp passing, positional sense, strong tackling - a very, very good all round central midfielder. I also think Partey has that ability to make those around him look like better players.

If you look around the league there isn't really a central midfielder that I wouldn't back Partey against.
We can't buy (or even afford) the finished article with every transfer but I am so impressed with Partey so far and I don't think we've even seen the best of him yet.

Post #522177  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:25 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Arteta is a total f...ken idiot for pursuing this whole leak thing. As far as I am concerned any decent leader has a way off dealing with these things which does not involve some hunt down of people. Start worrying about tactics for games rather than what happened. His favouritism breeds these type of situations. People will say he is an inexperienced manager. That is no excuse at a club of our size.

Well said. It's Arsenal Football Club, not the Gestapo. He is obsessed and feels he has a lot to prove and to be taken seriously. A lot of antics were already dealt with. Some he treated like they were Kindergarten age. Er...don't do that. There isn't a huge age difference between him and a few of the older, well seasoned, experienced players he's trying to mould into a new level or direction. The Arsenal kids want to be front and center in the scheme of things. It will evolve over time.
Agree about the favourtism. But that can be said about any club no matter where they are. There are divas, prima donnas and player cliques at all clubs.

Post #522178  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:33 pm 

Rich wrote:
Since Vieira left there has always been talk of 'the next Vieira' and it has resurfaced with Thomas Partey - who out of all the signings we've made in CM looks like he has the capability to fill the shoes better than any before him. In the little we've seen of him he appears to have strength, mobility, technical quality, crisp passing, positional sense, strong tackling - a very, very good all round central midfielder. I also think Partey has that ability to make those around him look like better players.

If you look around the league there isn't really a central midfielder that I wouldn't back Partey against.
We can't buy (or even afford) the finished article with every transfer but I am so impressed with Partey so far and I don't think we've even seen the best of him yet.

Based on what we saw of him in Italy, I thought Pogba was going to dominate the league in much the same way Vieira did.
Mourinho did a lot in taking away his confidence. There were other factors as well. But I'm very happy with Partey. I just hope he stays fit and Arteta lets him do some things he has done with Ghana and that is drive forward a bit at times.

Post #522179  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:16 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

No we decided to stop doing what Arsenal have been doing ie paying good money and getting nothing back for it.

Get over it. There was an election, several in fact, leave won remain lost, it's called democracy.

Stop throwing your toys out the pram every time something goes against us it's a long term plan and we are the future not the EU.

Post #522180  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:33 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

Agree, let's stick to football topics. How about famous own goals? Remember the one by Dixon? :laughing7:

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-re ... xon-brass/

Post #522181  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:34 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No we decided to stop doing what Arsenal have been doing ie paying good money and getting nothing back for it.

Get over it. There was an election, several in fact, leave won remain lost, it's called democracy.

Stop throwing your toys out the pram every time something goes against us it's a long term plan and we are the future not the EU.

It’s too late to undo that Chris that we all read it. :laughing7:

We are unable to export minced meat products and all sorts to a continent and your moaning about ham sandwiches :laughing7:

You still don’t understand it :laughing7:

Post #522182  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:01 pm 

Hat trick for Balogun for the U23 tonight

Post #522183  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:06 pm 

Decaf wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Agree, let's stick to football topics. How about famous own goals? Remember the one by Dixon? :laughing7:

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-re ... xon-brass/

Some absolute crackers there. The bloke who volleys it into his own face :laughing7:

Post #522184  Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:51 pm 

The Spanish league table is interesting. What I consider the big three in Spain are at the top, with the smallest or less big of the three (by a comfortable distance) in first place.

Atletico Madrid are top with 44 points from 17 games; Real Madrid are second with 37 points from 18 games; and Barcelona are third with 34 points from 18 games. So Atletico have a 7 point lead over Real with a game in hand, and a 10 point lead over Barcelona with a game in hand.

Am I missing something or does this suggest Atletico aren’t missing Partey all that much? Torreira has only started two league games for Atletico this season, so it presumably can’t have anything to do with him replacing Partey adequately.

Post #522185  Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:36 am 

HoddGooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

No worries there, just silly guessing on my part. Be it Özil or Luiz or maybe the previous Mascot, no prizes for getting it right :42laughter:

Post #522186  Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:35 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Mat Ryan is a really solid Premier League quality keeper - and an Arsenal fan as well. I remember years ago, when he was playing for Central Coast Mariners in Australia and he said he was a Gooner. I hoped one day he'd get his chance...

Post #522187  Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:11 am 

Uninteresting, but true fact. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but Mat Ryan and Mustafi played together at Valencia.

https://www.gettyimages.com.au/detail/n ... popup=true

Post #522188  Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:15 am 

Zed wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Arteta is a total f...ken idiot for pursuing this whole leak thing. As far as I am concerned any decent leader has a way off dealing with these things which does not involve some hunt down of people. Start worrying about tactics for games rather than what happened. His favouritism breeds these type of situations. People will say he is an inexperienced manager. That is no excuse at a club of our size.

Well said. It's Arsenal Football Club, not the Gestapo. He is obsessed and feels he has a lot to prove and to be taken seriously. A lot of antics were already dealt with. Some he treated like they were Kindergarten age. Er...don't do that. There isn't a huge age difference between him and a few of the older, well seasoned, experienced players he's trying to mould into a new level or direction. The Arsenal kids want to be front and center in the scheme of things. It will evolve over time.
Agree about the favourtism. But that can be said about any club no matter where they are. There are divas, prima donnas and player cliques at all clubs.

What Arteta fails to appreciate is that you can't please everyone. Just produce results and others will follow. Young players can't be bothered with all this they just want a chance - give it to them. He does himself no favours with his obsession to prove Willian a good buy. Obvious he was the person who wanted Willian - it had been reported in the newspapers. Put him in the cup teams and Europe and hope he regains form & actually puts in an effort - otherwise he is on the outer.

I have serious reservations about Arteta as a manager. His coaching ability leaves a lot to be desired and his man management and failure to recognise talent, until it is shoved down his throat is a worry.

Post #522189  Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:36 am 

Everyone has an opinion on Özil
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... senal.html

Post #522190  Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:52 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Zed wrote:

What Arteta fails to appreciate is that you can't please everyone. Just produce results and others will follow. Young players can't be bothered with all this they just want a chance - give it to them. He does himself no favours with his obsession to prove Willian a good buy. Obvious he was the person who wanted Willian - it had been reported in the newspapers. Put him in the cup teams and Europe and hope he regains form & actually puts in an effort - otherwise he is on the outer.

I have serious reservations about Arteta as a manager. His coaching ability leaves a lot to be desired and his man management and failure to recognise talent, until it is shoved down his throat is a worry.

We didn’t even have a game yesterday :laughing7:

“ I know we didn’t have a game today but that doesn’t mean Arteta can escape from criticism”

What a plonker

Post #522191  Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:12 pm 

1Leno
2Bellerín
16Holding
6Gabriel
17Cédric Soares
25Elneny
34Xhaka
19Pépé
12Willian
35Martinelli
30Nketiah

Substitutes
7Saka
9Lacazette
13Rúnarsson
15Maitland-Niles
18Partey
21Chambers
23David Luiz
28Willock
33Ryan

Too many changes for my liking.

Come on you Gunners :6encouragement: :6encouragement: :26encouragement:

Post #522192  Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:16 pm 

Have we got two sub goalies or am I losing it?

Post #522193  Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:44 pm 

Elneny rightfully scolded by Bellerin for losing the ball, leading to the goal.

Post #522194  Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:55 pm 

And outfought in midfield.

Post #522195  Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:55 pm 

We are looking very shaky at the back.

Post #522196  Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:55 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Are the two mutually exclusive? ;)

Post #522197  Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:06 pm 

Heading out of the cup with barely a whimper at the moment. Only consolation is we’re only one down.

Post #522198  Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:07 pm 

Dreadful stuff so far.

Martinelli not great this half but his energy and movement is very good, we just don't have players who can find him.

Post #522199  Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:13 pm 

Ash wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Are the two mutually exclusive? ;)

:sad5: :8surprise: :glasses12: :icon_question1:

Post #522200  Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:14 pm 

socrates wrote:
Dreadful stuff so far.

Martinelli not great this half but his energy and movement is very good, we just don't have players who can find him.

He had that one through ball to Nketiah but if Willian ever does beat a man he just turns backwards. In terms of the players were looking to to make us tick it’s useless.

[ 571656 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13052, 13053, 13054, 13055, 13056, 13057, 13058 ... 14292  Next