Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, Terry Henry, warrior and 166 guests

Post #521761  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:47 pm 

On the GK situation I reckon we'll get an experienced GK in on a 6 month loan as a reliable No.2, then go after a main target in the summer. From what I've read that target could still be Raya from Brentford.

If our main attacking/creative midfield target isn't available in January then see what we can bring in on a 6 month loan. Julian Brandt at Dortmund has been named in a few articles, seemingly available for transfer but a 6 month loan first would be a good risk free way of testing the water.

Post #521762  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:18 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Because he couldnt sell anybody due to uncertainty in the transfer market so players like Mustafi, Özil, Kolasinac, Sokratis possibly even Xhaka sat on their contracts and he couldn’t restructure and the major signing he made has been injured ever since.

Until he can remove the deadwood and bring in fresh new talent you won’t see major change that’s the truth. That’s the same for any manager.

If you can’t see the improvement with this side and the side Emery played v Man City at home in his final season I don’t know what to say. Despite our current league position our improvement is visible

I think it is valid to give the manager some leeway in terms of what he inherited and the exceptional circumstances in his first year in management but also question some of his decisions and approaches to games.
The FA Cup win probably raised expectations too much but at the same time the squad he has was better than 15th place in the league, and really the teams with the deepest squads should fair better this season where the impact of covid and injuries will be felt more than any other season, so Arteta does have an advantage over teams where we might consider their first 11 more robust than ours but with a thinner squad.

That would be fair if we are were still 15th. As it is we are rising rapidly {touch wood}. Hopefully Aubameyang's drought, which was a major factor in our languishing, is a thing of the past.

I still think Arteta is the business. But its a helluva job he's got, and he's bound to make mistakes and piss certain people off from time to time.

Post #521763  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:47 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:
I think it is valid to give the manager some leeway in terms of what he inherited and the exceptional circumstances in his first year in management but also question some of his decisions and approaches to games.
The FA Cup win probably raised expectations too much but at the same time the squad he has was better than 15th place in the league, and really the teams with the deepest squads should fair better this season where the impact of covid and injuries will be felt more than any other season, so Arteta does have an advantage over teams where we might consider their first 11 more robust than ours but with a thinner squad.

That would be fair if we are were still 15th. As it is we are rising rapidly {touch wood}. Hopefully Aubameyang's drought, which was a major factor in our languishing, is a thing of the past.

I still think Arteta is the business. But its a helluva job he's got, and he's bound to make mistakes and piss certain people off from time to time.

Blokes of a hiding to nothing. He’s Matt Hancock or the England manager

Even after winning the fa cup people can’t give him the benefit of the doubt. Every time we win a game folks can’t refer to him without saying “he doesn’t have a coherent plan” or “ I’m not convinced by Arteta” I mean ffs :laughing7:

You can still have reservations about him but it’s not like we were flying high before he took over and he derailed the whole thing :laughing7:

Post #521764  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:25 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Blokes on a hiding to nothing. He’s Matt Hancock or the England manager

Even after winning the fa cup people can’t give him the benefit of the doubt. Every time we win a game folks can’t refer to him without saying “he doesn’t have a coherent plan” or “ I’m not convinced by Arteta” I mean ffs :laughing7:

You can still have reservations about him but it’s not like we were flying high before he took over and he derailed the whole thing :laughing7:

Post #521765  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:36 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

I'm an Arteta fan, I'm not bashing him for the sake of it. I think your last line is right, he is still learning and will make mistakes. The test for him is how quickly he learns from those mistakes. In my opinion he persevered with the wrong team for too long in our winless streak. When you read what a lot of very well informed and respected people in the game say about him it does give some optimism - similar people certainly aren't saying the same things about Ole or Lampard for example.
The biggest frustration so far with Arteta was seemingly not sticking to his original mantra of non-negotiables, he maybe wanted to move forward too quickly and the players weren't bale to follow.

He has been dealt one of the toughest hands for any new manager at a top club not just because of the squad issues but with the way covid has affected football, he hasn't really had a chance to have a proper transfer window or pre-season.

I'm more than happy to give Arteta the benefit of the doubt, last year he won the FA Cup and as well as adding a trophy to our name it pocketed a guaranteed £30m odd for making sure we were in europe this year and gave another route to Champions League qualification and the gravy train that that is

Post #521766  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:36 pm 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... a-23313318

Post #521767  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:24 pm 

Most chances created by defenders this season
1. Joao Cancelo (24)
2. Andy Robertson (22)
3. Kieran Tierney (20)
Tierney has spent almost half of his minutes being deployed as a 3rd centre half

Post #521768  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:26 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
The line up attached.

I wrote this: "Next a Third Round FA Cup visit to Shrewsbury Town. Before the protagonists were due to protagonise, Shrewsbury manager Arthur Rowley said 'I think we are in with a chance. Arsenal hasn't a very impressive away record.' He had a point. In the sixteen away games played at that stage of the season Arsenal had lost nine, drawn three and won just four. Arsenal went ahead through Radford, but he injured himself in scoring and had to be replaced by Neill. It was a disputed goal as he had been flagged for offside, but the referee ignored his linesman. Shrewsbury made a late rally and scored with minutes to go to take the tie to London. There was some fighting behind the Arsenal goal and reports of shop windows broken in the town centre.

McNab missed the replay. The versatile Simpson moved to full-back and Neill came in. Over 42,000 witnessed Arsenal's 2-0 victory, which Geoffrey Green of The Times found mundane. 'Those who look at life through red coloured glasses no doubt see an expanding future for Arsenal: the uncommitted neutral, however, must have stifled a yawn or two on the night. And it was not Shrewsbury who provided the Severn Bore.' The goals were scored by Sammels and Jenkins. Graham, never a cat to hide behind the curtains, was involved in a few ill-tempered moments and earned the wrath of Hackett in the Daily Express. 'Arsenal never took complete control of the game and had players who were guilty of conduct unbecoming Arsenal players...It was grim to see a player of the class of George Graham involved in an incident in which a Shrewsbury player was injured. Referee Ken Dagnall treated this with beneficent leniency...Shrewsbury men were abused again in the second-half, but only the shake of a finger rebuked the over-vigorous men of Arsenal.'

Ian Ure admitted 'Our two ties with Shrewsbury were on the rugged side, but that's not what I most remember about them. Their centre-forward, Frank Clarke, elder brother of Allan, gave me all the trouble I wanted. He moved around intelligently and was always difficult to mark.'"

Don’t remember either now but I was at both games. What I do remember was the fantastic away support we had back then. Some of my peers on this forum might remember if the late 60’s and 70’s were all ticket games but the numbers we took away were terrific. Mind you there was a fair few tough guys in our ranks....that were always up for a spirited punch up .....the name Johnny Hoy springs to mind...that wasn’t you was it OMOH?!

Blimey Andy - John Hoy is a blast from the past!

He was a few years older than me and I wasn't part of his circle, though I did know some of his mates so I was on nodding terms. Such social distance was fine by me because he was a pretty scary bloke and a legendary street fighter - that's code for 'thug'. There were two main Arse mobs in those days - Big Highbury and Little Highbury. John was Big Highbury (just a bit older) while I had a few mates who'd be considered Little Highbury. A lot of them lived in the Highbury Quadrant Estate, around the corner from where I lived in Riversdale Rd. Pretty sure John Hoy lived in Avenell Rd where his mum was an official Arsenal Landlady with whom several young players boarded as youths - notably John Radford and Sammy Nelson. I understand Hoy has lived in Gateshead for some time now.

Easy to look back on those days with fondness but they were actually pretty dark days for English football because of the widespread organised hooliganism.

Post #521769  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:10 pm 

DHD wrote:
Andy Green wrote:
Don’t remember either now but I was at both games. What I do remember was the fantastic away support we had back then. Some of my peers on this forum might remember if the late 60’s and 70’s were all ticket games but the numbers we took away were terrific. Mind you there was a fair few tough guys in our ranks....that were always up for a spirited punch up .....the name Johnny Hoy springs to mind...that wasn’t you was it OMOH?!

Blimey Andy - John Hoy is a blast from the past!

He was a few years older than me and I wasn't part of his circle, though I did know some of his mates so I was on nodding terms. Such social distance was fine by me because he was a pretty scary bloke and a legendary street fighter - that's code for 'thug'. There were two main Arse mobs in those days - Big Highbury and Little Highbury. John was Big Highbury (just a bit older) while I had a few mates who'd be considered Little Highbury. A lot of them lived in the Highbury Quadrant Estate, around the corner from where I lived in Riversdale Rd. Pretty sure John Hoy lived in Avenell Rd where his mum was an official Arsenal Landlady with whom several young players boarded as youths - notably John Radford and Sammy Nelson. I understand Hoy has lived in Gateshead for some time now.

Good Memory DHD. I'd forgotten about his mum being an "official" landlady....seems a bit quaint now. I wonder if they still do it.
You're right though....time has affected my recollection of actual experiences...it could be pretty dark....while standing in the North Bank I was hit by a snooker ball and a coin (think it was West Ham)….one that really stands out was ( I think) a testimonial for David O'Leary

Easy to look back on those days with fondness but they were actually pretty dark days for English football because of the widespread organised hooliganism.

Good Memory DHD. I'd forgotten about his mum being an "official" Arsenal landlady. Seems a bit quaint now...I wonder if they still do it.
You're right though it was dark at times ....I saw plenty of punch ups at away games and at Highbury. While standing in the North Bank I got hit twice....once by a snooker ball and also a coin. The North Bank could be scary.....even with friendlies....David O'Leary's testimonial was crazy against Celtic. Seem to remember Rangers at Highbury was a bit tasty too.
While down memory lane something for DHD, and others of my generation. Does anyone remember a friendly played at Highbury on the eve of the Cup Final....don't know if it was a one off or a regular fixture ….England vs Young England (or England Under 21) .I went to one and the youngsters won 4:0....(think John Sissons scored ). This was probably mid 60's.

Post #521770  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:05 pm 

Andy Green wrote:
DHD wrote:
While down memory lane something for DHD, and others of my generation. Does anyone remember a friendly played at Highbury on the eve of the Cup Final....don't know if it was a one off or a regular fixture ….England vs Young England (or England Under 21) .I went to one and the youngsters won 4:0....(think John Sissons scored ). This was probably mid 60's.

I’ve no recollection of the game. If it’s in the mid-sixties prior to the 1968 final, that would be before my time. Can you remember who the cup final was between? I don’t even remember the 1967 final between Tottenham and Chelsea.

The first FA Cup finals I recall was Man City versus Leicester in 1968 and WBA versus Everton in 1969 (or were they the other way round)? I remember both, but am no longer sure which came first. I used to watch every single FA Cup final. These days if the final doesn’t involve Arsenal, I rarely watch the whole match.

First I recall not watching all of was a Man City final. Did they have a final against Stoke in the not too distant past? If so it was that. I may put it on occasionally to see how it’s going but I didn’t even watch a single second of the Man Utd versus Palace final in 2016.

I associate John Sissons with West Ham. Is that right?

Post #521771  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:39 pm 

Spurs going 1-0 up sitting back and conceding late is becoming a bit of a habit for them.
I wonder if the media will start questioning the Gareth Bale loan. He’s barely started a game for them and they’re paying his £600k a week wages

Post #521772  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:45 pm 

Rich wrote:
Spurs going 1-0 up sitting back and conceding late is becoming a bit of a habit for them.
I wonder if the media will start questioning the Gareth Bale loan. He’s barely started a game for them and they’re paying his £600k a week wages

Didn’t watch the game but am pleased for Fulham. A good result for them and, as I’ve said before, I hope they survive. Also pleased City beat Brighton, simply because I’d rather them win the title than any of Liverpool, United, Tottenham and, if they get back into it, Chelsea.

Post #521773  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:32 am 

BBC: How do you think the impeachment will affect President Trump's legacy?
Colombia University professor: I think it will be pretty damaging.

Talk about understatement. I think Nixon was worse but not for reasons people would think. Trump obviously right above, barely.

Big winner? Obama. His legacy has actually taken a hit when viewed in retrospect. Republicans obviously hated and have repeated the mantra 'worse President ever' while he was still president. However, progressives have now been saying he failed (miserably to some) of being a champion of progressive politics and is now seen as a firmly centrist.

Now he's been sandwiched firmly between 2 of the worst 3 or 4 presidents in history (Bush and Trump).

The first impeachment Republican congresspersons said he did nothing wrong. This time around they won't argue that. It's the punishment they have an issue with. Most Republicans would have signed a censure. Legally it would have done nothing to Trump but the fact they were willing to do it speaks volumes.

Lives lost, Capital building breached, it doesn't matter if he has 1 week or 1 more, its a very, very dangerous precedence to excuse sedition, especially with lives lost because the perpetrator is almost out of office.

Post #521774  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:38 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Didn’t watch the game but am pleased for Fulham. A good result for them and, as I’ve said before, I hope they survive. Also pleased City beat Brighton, simply because I’d rather them win the title than any of Liverpool, United, Tottenham and, if they get back into it, Chelsea.

I also hope they survive. In September 1982 I was wandering around London one Saturday afternoon, transistor radio in hand getting the scores and trying not to spend any money, as we were at the end of the working holiday in the UK and Europe. Game at Fulham : so I decided to stroll over from Earls Court and at least look at the stadium.

By the time I got there it was well into the second half and the stewards had opened the gate for the home fans to leave. Snuck in for the last 20 minutes of the game against Leeds. Leeds fans were all the worst features of English football at the time. The ground was really homely and I loved the experience and atmosphere at the home end.

Chatted to a few home fans and one of them indicated the away end and said something like 'have a look at these Neanderthals.' I laughed but I still made sure I was well away from the stadium when the game ended. Always looked out for Fulham after that. Same with Brentford as I attended one of their games with a customer from the pub where I worked.

That is all so long ago.

Post #521775  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:39 am 

Bernard wrote:
Andy Green wrote:

I’ve no recollection of the game. If it’s in the mid-sixties prior to the 1968 final, that would be before my time. Can you remember who the cup final was between? I don’t even remember the 1967 final between Tottenham and Chelsea.

The first FA Cup finals I recall was Man City versus Leicester in 1968 and WBA versus Everton in 1969 (or were they the other way round)? I remember both, but am no longer sure which came first. I used to watch every single FA Cup final. These days if the final doesn’t involve Arsenal, I rarely watch the whole match.

First I recall not watching all of was a Man City final. Did they have a final against Stoke in the not too distant past? If so it was that. I may put it on occasionally to see how it’s going but I didn’t even watch a single second of the Man Utd versus Palace final in 2016.

I associate John Sissons with West Ham. Is that right?

We used to play Rangers every year in a pre-season 'friendly' though it was anything but for the supporters. There were apparently close ties between these two (Protestant) clubs at Board level, indeed I think it came to light in the recent upheavals at that club that The Arse still controlled a few Rangers shares. Their supporters were mostly London-based jocks and most who'd be rat-arsed by the time the pubs opened. Many never made it out of the pubs but those who got to the game were entirely wrecked. It just got worse as the years went on. It culminated in a particular game I attended (in the Clock End) in the late '60s I think when the legless sweaties were chucking bags of piss over the crowd and smashing bottes on the underside of the North Bank roof. That was it. Wasn't so much the hooliganism - more that they were just plain disgusting. They were never invited back.

I do recall the pre-Cup Final games played on Friday evenings. I think I went to a couple with the old man. They were billed as 'England v Young England' or something like that. Exiled would know. No real idea what was the point of those games. It was an unofficial friendly so no caps were awarded and as I recall, the players were hardly top flight - just who was available I guess. John Sissons would fit the bill. We had a few players at the time who never quite made international level - Simpson, Radford and Armstrong spring to mind. I think Radford might've played for the English League which again had no real status. Think he scored a goal.

Post #521776  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:12 pm 

Premier League director of football Richard Garlick to leave later this year & take up post as director of football ops at Arsenal. Ex-WBA exec was with PL since summer 2018. Succeeds Huss Fahmy at Arsenal, working on contracts etc

Definitely a position that needed filling.

Post #521777  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:05 pm 

DHD wrote:
We had a few players at the time who never quite made international level - Simpson, Radford and Armstrong spring to mind. I think Radford might've played for the English League which again had no real status. Think he scored a goal.

Radford definitely won a cap DHD. I’m not sure if it was one or two, probably one. But I’m 100% sure he did play a full international for England. Armstrong and Simpson didn’t though.

EDIT: Just looked it up DHD. Radford won two full caps. Against Rumania (the one I was thinking of if he’d only won one) and Switzerland.

Post #521778  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:00 pm 

Gooners are not going to accept anything less than 3 points tonight.

My friend in California who knows a little about Arsenal via me, sent me a California prison video with Gooners in the title. Apparently the prison guards are called the Goon squad. He thought it was funny since its part of my online moniker.

Post #521779  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:14 pm 

1Leno
2Bellerín
16Holding
23David Luiz
15Maitland-Niles
8Ceballos
34Xhaka
7Saka
32Smith Rowe
14Aubameyang
9Lacazette

Substitutes
6Gabriel
12Willian
13Rúnarsson
17Cédric Soares
18Partey
19Pépé
21Chambers
28Willock
30Nketiah

Post #521780  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:20 pm 

Tough game for our back 4 as their front line will cause us problems

Post #521781  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:37 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
1Leno
2Bellerín
16Holding
23David Luiz
15Maitland-Niles
8Ceballos
34Xhaka
7Saka
32Smith Rowe
14Aubameyang
9Lacazette

Substitutes
6Gabriel
12Willian
13Rúnarsson
17Cédric Soares
18Partey
19Pépé
21Chambers
28Willock
30Nketiah

Palace can be tough opponents. I'd like to see us start quickly and look to get on top of them.
We'll miss Tierney but I'm confident AMN won't let us down.

Post #521782  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:20 pm 

Ceballos having a really good game so far. Most encouraging.

AMN looks a bit shaky though.

Post #521783  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:28 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Yup. Aubameyang growing into it - odds on him for a goal.

Post #521784  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:31 pm 

Ash wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Hope that you’re right. He looks up for it. Just needs that right moment.

Post #521785  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:33 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Ash wrote:

Hope that you’re right. He looks up for it. Just needs that right moment.

Beautiful ball from Ceballos. You’ve got to hit a striker like Aubameyang early at least now and then. Glad we’re doing that.

Post #521786  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:38 pm 

Ooooh. Got lucky there.

Post #521787  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:40 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Ooooh. Got lucky there.

Yes we did. Stupid foul by Xhaka in the first place.

Post #521788  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:42 pm 

Ooooh again. Nice save by Leno.

Post #521789  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:42 pm 

Zaha gets kicked to pieces every time I see him play, he moans a LOT about it which I don’t think does him any favours. Got feel at least a bit sorry for him. Can see why Benteke hasn’t scored in eons hope their chances keep falling to him, unless it’s a header from like a yard.

Post #521790  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:44 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Ooooh again. Nice save by Leno.

That one was fine because it was more than a yard out :laughing7:

Post #521791  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:48 pm 

James Tompkins doing a passable impression of Wolverine.

Post #521792  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:49 pm 

Palace a tough but to crack, sitting deep and compact with a threat on the counter.
Smith-Rowe has been peripheral.

Post #521793  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:52 pm 

Emile Smith Rowe trying hard to impose himself on the game

Post #521794  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:57 pm 

Palace tactics - mark Emile Smith Rowe and kick Saka & the rest of the players not doing much at all. My comms said Arsenal yet to start and I think that is a fair comment. Time for Arteta to use tactics to change the complexion of the game.

Post #521795  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:58 pm 

Missing Tierney

Post #521796  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:59 pm 

We need to move the ball faster. It's too easy for Palace to hold position and keep us at arms length.

Post #521797  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:01 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Palace tactics - mark Emile Smith Rowe and kick Saka & the rest of the players not doing much at all. My comms said Arsenal yet to start and I think that is a fair comment. Time for Arteta to use tactics to change the complexion of the game.

I think that’s a bit unkind on Ceballos. He has been positive.

Post #521798  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:14 pm 

We're trying hard but we need a little bit of magic from somewhere.

Post #521799  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:15 pm 

Partey for Xhaka. Needs a change

Post #521800  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:21 pm 

Almost great there from Maitland-Niles!!

[ 571643 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13042, 13043, 13044, 13045, 13046, 13047, 13048 ... 14292  Next