Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 160 guests

Post #518881  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:51 am 

I hear Ryan Reynolds is buying Wrexham.

Post #518882  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:21 am 

Bernard, a great day for your uncle.

Leeds game. At least they are an attacking team and so it should be easier for us to play provided we are defensively good. They have conceded 4 in each of their last 2 games so we should produce a number of chances. Bit of pressure on the team but we should take the points. Tactically a fair bit of pressure on Arteta who needs to get the team playing well against this type of opponent. Hoping he changes a few things around from the last outing. My tip 2-0 to us.

Post #518883  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:15 am 

Rich wrote:
Spurs annoyingly efficient and City blunt again against them.
I read that in Spurs last 3 games v City they have only had 7 shots in total and have scored 6 goals, City had 58 shots and scored 2. There is obviously a game plan that keeps working. Obviously helped by City starting Ageuro, Sterling and Foden on the bench.

Saw someone write that City have pretty much replaced their team with slightly inferior players than they had. Foden/Silva, rodri/Fernandinho, Jesus/aguero, Sane/Torres

Are you still not concerned about Spurs?

Obviously, if a couple of key players (notably Kane) get injured, it all falls apart. But not getting such injuries is the kind of luck that title winners often have. Liverpool, Leicester, us when TH was at his peak ... and by contrast our wretched luck with injuries in the late 2000s.

Post #518884  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:49 am 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:
Spurs annoyingly efficient and City blunt again against them.
I read that in Spurs last 3 games v City they have only had 7 shots in total and have scored 6 goals, City had 58 shots and scored 2. There is obviously a game plan that keeps working. Obviously helped by City starting Ageuro, Sterling and Foden on the bench.

Saw someone write that City have pretty much replaced their team with slightly inferior players than they had. Foden/Silva, rodri/Fernandinho, Jesus/aguero, Sane/Torres

Are you still not concerned about Spurs?

Obviously, if a couple of key players (notably Kane) get injured, it all falls apart. But not getting such injuries is the kind of luck that title winners often have. Liverpool, Leicester, us when TH was at his peak ... and by contrast our wretched luck with injuries in the late 2000s.

Certainly more concerned after that result. I still think Liverpool and Chelsea are better placed. It will be a strange season but with all the condensed games and Covid there will be a lot of injuries. I think the other two have deeper squads to cope.
I think Son is spurs most important player, without him Kane dropping deep and sending passes through has no target. I’m also surprised no team has got anyone to just do a man marking job on Kane yet. He’s a good player so might find a way around it but City were awful with the space they gave him.

Post #518885  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:58 am 

No worries. You have the AG guarantee sperz won't win the title this season. They have the coach to do it. I thought Jose would have one foot out the door this season but its all coming along for him, still don't think he'll do it though. He'll make a decent run at it but Liverpool will win it again.

Post #518886  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:12 am 

I have no condfidence in us against Leeds today.

Leeds are an incredibly fit and athletic side who play fast paced technical football, the equal of anyone in the PL on their day. No to mention their high press without the ball.

Do we have the players to cope with all of this? I am not so sure, I fear our one-paced central midfield could be overrun by the speed and movement of the Leeds players.

Could be a busy day for Gabriel, Leno and co. Might be a good chance to see if Gabi is the real deal.

Post #518887  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:17 am 

We've got a very difficult run of games up to Christmas which if they go badly could see us not only well and truly out of the race for top four before the new year but actually languishing just above the relegation places.

The pressure would be building on Arteta.

Post #518888  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:21 am 

A quick but sincere thanks to those who have made kind remarks about my uncle reaching 100. If anyone who hasn’t yet does after this, please include yourself in this expression of gratitude.

Post #518889  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:33 am 

Can't be long before someone makes a play for Erling Haaland.

Not sure who, though. Madrid and Barca are struggling financially. My guess would be he will end up at Liverpool, City or United. Maybe PSG if Neymar or Mbappe leave.

It would cost big bucks but he looks a phenomenal talent.

Post #518890  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:26 am 

socrates wrote:

Leeds are an incredibly fit and athletic side who play fast paced technical football, the equal of anyone in the PL on their day. No to mention their high press without the ball.

Do we have the players to cope with all of this? I am not so sure, I fear our one-paced central midfield could be overrun by the speed and movement of the Leeds players.

Could be a busy day for Gabriel, Leno and co. Might be a good chance to see if Gabi is the real deal.

Arteta has been with us almost a year. We should be making progress against mid table teams. Would like to see us play 442 or even 451 to get a bit more ball in the midfield. Chances of Arteta changing are probably slim.

Post #518891  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:18 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
socrates wrote:

Arteta has been with us almost a year. We should be making progress against mid table teams. Would like to see us play 442 or even 451 to get a bit more ball in the midfield.

We are a mid table team though. Only 7 players anywhere near the level
Required plus 3 promising youngsters (Niles, Saka, martinelli)

Your not getting above spurs or Leicester with that bunch. Bielsa was singing Mikels praises his week and he’s not been the only one. I don’t know how Arteta will be able to escape the over expectations of our fans. I think Wiltshire might be right and you will see a merry go round of managers soon. Also I think Covid might have been a disaster for Arteta as it’s hindered his ability to restructure and our fa cup win which was clearly helped by it has increased expectations.

Post #518892  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:52 pm 

Seeing Villa defend so awfully against Brighton might have Arsenal fans cursing their luck that we couldn’t play ‘that’ Villa last week....but we don’t do enough to force those mistakes from defences. If you build up slowly, don’t get men in the box, don’t dribble at defenders and have little off the ball movement you’re really not asking the opposition to do anything that taxing

Post #518893  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:58 pm 

socrates wrote:

Hate to say it Soc but I totally agree with you.
Fear for us today.
They ran us ragged in January when we beat them in the fa cup.
Massive blow not having Partey fit.
Really interesting to see if Arteta will do anything eye catching after the humbling by Villa.
He has to do something even if it means dropping Lacazette and putting Aubameyang through the middle.
Would love to see 4 4 2 or 4 2 3 1.
Can see Arteta trying to play from the back again trying to play around the Leeds press. Find this tactic boring sometimes when done over and over again.
Willian should be dropped and Pépé and Saka either side of Aubameyang because I dont think Arteta will consider either of those formations above.
Just want to see us go at teams and lose a bit of this cautious approach. Let the players express themselves.
Here's hoping but cant see us getting anything today.

Post #518894  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:11 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Arteta has been with us almost a year. We should be making progress against mid table teams. Would like to see us play 442 or even 451 to get a bit more ball in the midfield.

We are a mid table team though. Only 7 players anywhere near the level
Required plus 3 promising youngsters (Niles, Saka, martinelli)

Your not getting above spurs or Leicester with that bunch. Bielsa was singing Mikels praises his week and he’s not been the only one. I don’t know how Arteta will be able to escape the over expectations of our fans. I think Wiltshire might be right and you will see a merry go round of managers soon. Also I think Covid might have been a disaster for Arteta as it’s hindered his ability to restructure and our fa cup win which was clearly helped by it has increased expectations.

I think the expectations are a given. It takes many years for fans to adjust away from the idea that a clubs is top four by rights. The cup win has bought Arteta a bit more time. Otherwise, I agree with your analysis.

Post #518895  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:19 pm 

Rich wrote:
Seeing Villa defend so awfully against Brighton might have Arsenal fans cursing their luck that we couldn’t play ‘that’ Villa last week....but we don’t do enough to force those mistakes from defences. If you build up slowly, don’t get men in the box, don’t dribble at defenders and have little off the ball movement you’re really not asking the opposition to do anything that taxing

I think your post sums up why we don’t get as many penalties as some teams, more so than refereeing incompetence does. Having said that, you say we don’t dribble at defenders. Pépé and Saka are more than capable of doing that, as is Willian. It’s like people moan about our lack of creativity. Seriously, when he have players like Saka, Ceballos and Willian, how the hell can we lack creativity (I won’t even mention Özil, Nelson and the inexperienced youngster Smith Rowe, or Xhaka whose long passing can also be creative)? Together, as a group they represent more creativity than many teams have.

I think we have a lot of high level players, and some underestimate their quality. Rather than moan about having loads of rubbish players who couldn’t make a creative pass if their life depended on it, perhaps people should look more at our playing style instead? As I’ve said before we could have Brady, Hudson or Fabregas at their peak and it wouldn’t shock me if we’d still lack creativity.

At Chelsea, Willian was a creative player for them. Has wearing a red shirt with white sleeves instead of an all blue shirt removed his ability to thread creative passes through to others? How on earth could it have done? In my view, by wanting to moan that we lack creative players, I simply don’t think some people are looking for an explanation for any perceived lack of creativity imaginatively enough.

Post #518896  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:43 pm 

Team looks like a back 4, Willock starts in a midfield 3 with Xhaka and Ceballos and Aubameyang central.

Some will want Saka starting but he played 3 games for England so we do need to be careful with his minutes. Pépé and Willian in wide positions

Post #518897  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:48 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

At Chelsea, Willian was a creative player for them. Has wearing a red shirt with white sleeves instead of an all blue shirt removed his ability to thread creative passes through to others? How on earth could it have done? .

Quite simply he isn’t taking receipt of the ball in the areas of the pitch he needs to be effective. Lee Dixon said the other week that he believes Willian is the best player in the world at crossing from a standing position in front of his fullback. At Arsenal he takes receipt of the ball on the halfway line when he’s marked usually. It’s the same with Aubameyang now Who is a player who would get in any side In this league.

Our midfield players are not able to transition the ball into the right areas of the pitch quick enough for our wide players and strikers to be effective and the moment better players come in in this part of the pitch they will be cast aside. It’s already happening with Xhaka in record speed who gets a game because partey (who can transition quickly) isn’t available

Post #518898  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:24 pm 

The rain is teeming down........

Post #518899  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:30 pm 

ffs why aren't we playing in red and white........

Post #518900  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:33 pm 

Thanks Rog, sorted.

Post #518901  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:40 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
At Chelsea, Willian was a creative player for them. Has wearing a red shirt with white sleeves instead of an all blue shirt removed his ability to thread creative passes through to others? How on earth could it have done? .

Quite simply he isn’t taking receipt of the ball in the areas of the pitch he needs to be effective. Lee Dixon said the other week that he believes Willian is the best player in the world at crossing from a standing position in front of his fullback. At Arsenal he takes receipt of the ball on the halfway line when he’s marked usually. It’s the same with Aubameyang now Who is a player who would get in any side In this league.

With Willian, what you say is surely a system issue. Are you seriously saying Willian has taken it upon himself to stop doing what made him so good at Chelsea and instead take possession of the ball on the halfway line where he’s marked? Same with your point on Aubameyang. It would astonish me if he has decided to play a different role to before unless Arteta has told him to. I simply think you’re not thinking things through enough when blaming everything on the players being rubbish. They’re not. The way we’re playing relates to how Arteta sets the team up to play.

Post #518902  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:48 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

I know there are lots of pointless kit changes but you'd think there is enough of a clash with Leeds in all white with our white shorts and white sleeves

Post #518903  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:49 pm 

Rich wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

I know there are lots of pointless kit changes but you'd think there is enough of a clash with Leeds in all white with our white shorts and white sleeves

1972 Cup Final?

Not that I particularly want to remember that game.

Post #518904  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:51 pm 

Pépé hits the bar with a cross

Post #518905  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:01 pm 

Nice save by Leno.

Post #518906  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:02 pm 

Leeds on top. Higher tempo of football causing problems for a team that prefers to play slower and play out from the back......who would have thought that?

Post #518907  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:02 pm 

Tidy play, but another 30 minutes without a single shot on target.

Post #518908  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:08 pm 

It really just feel like a matter of time before we go behind. The pace, energy and tempo is completely different between the two teams. Leeds buzz around and pour men forward to support attacks - we all knew exactly how they'd play. They also give up huge amounts of chances and give you space to play if you have the ambition and quality and speed to do so. More and more concerning when we face teams who give up countless chances week after week to every other team in the league but we can barely muster anything of note.

We can also add Phillips to the long list of central midfielders who would improve our side, and the thing is he's decent but he wouldn't get in any of the top teams in the league.

Post #518909  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:11 pm 

Game is about as thrilling as Arsene Wengers book

We look rubbish against the energy of their midfield

Post #518910  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:12 pm 

We're hanging on a bit now, giving up too many chances. All the pressure is from them.

Post #518911  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:12 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

1972 Cup Final?

1968 League Cup final too. Arsenal and Leeds always used to play in our home kits against each other. These days we could put on red shorts to save them clashing.

Post #518912  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:13 pm 

At least we don’t have to pay 15 quid for this one

Post #518913  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:14 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Rubbish is a bit savage. I had been reflecting on such as mediocre and ordinary. Certainly unexciting, bordering on uninteresting.

Post #518914  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:16 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
1972 Cup Final?

1968 League Cup final too. Arsenal and Leeds always used to play in our home kits against each other. These days we could put on red shorts to save them clashing.

Ah yes, another game not to remember fondly. Leeds killed that game stone dead once they had scored.

Post #518915  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:17 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Rubbish is a bit savage. I had been reflecting on such as mediocre and ordinary. Certainly unexciting, bordering on uninteresting.

Well rubbish certainly applies to that last move of the first half.

Sunday league stuff.

Post #518916  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:19 pm 

The thing I won't ever understand is when you are so comprehensively out worked in terms of effort, desire, tempo by the opposition you leave yourself nowhere to go. If you don't win then everyone can just say you didn't work as hard as the opposition. It is so basic.

It is like Arsenal either weren't expecting this kind of high tempo football from Leeds, or truly believe that the slower tempo can beat it. Both are hard to fathom.

I watch Leeds absolutely buzzing around all over the pitch and try to imagine players like Xhaka, Ceballos, Pépé, Willian all matching that kind of tempo and workrate. It just won't happen.

I'm fed up of Arsenal seemingly never looking as 'up' for a game as our opponents, this has gone on for at least 10 years now. We have isolated games where we're on it and swarm our opponents but it is a handful of games.

Post #518917  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:19 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

That was a steaming pile of manure, the positive I can find is that ceballos looked a bit more comfortable with Willock in front of him. (Still should be playing for Getaffe though)

Post #518918  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:20 pm 

Aubameyang’s much vaunted and requested move into the middle hasn’t yielded much at all yet.

Post #518919  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:21 pm 

We are boring. No first touch football and nothing incisive about our off the ball movement when in possession. We are too defensive.

Post #518920  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:22 pm 

john1 wrote:
Aubameyang’s much vaunted and requested move into the middle hasn’t yielded much at all yet.

Let’s see him get some do the chances Lacazette has been missing, that will be the nub of it.

[ 570735 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12970, 12971, 12972, 12973, 12974, 12975, 12976 ... 14269  Next