Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 100 guests

Post #516321  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:36 am 

This hand ball rule, interestingly I hadn't realised that it was in use in Spain and Germany (amongst other leagues) last season. In England there were 19 penalties for handball last season yet Germany and Spain had triple that amount. The rule is here to stay for the season.
I saw someone mentioned the Gabriel one v West Ham, the reason I think that wasn't given is that it his his sleeve. The new rules note anything below the sleeve as being the part of the arm counted for handball (should we be making our sleeves longer!?) It also mentions the natural silhouette of the body, which is why ones like Dier, Maupay and others have been given but the one on Ward v Everton wasn't because his arms were down by his side. There is nothing to do with distance away from where the ball is struck or deflections off teammates. The big problem with that for me is judging what a natural position or natural silhouette is. If I'm standing still then clearly that natural position should be down by my side, but if I'm running then my arms are out in front and behind me, similar if I'm jumping or sliding in to make a tackle the arms won't be naturally by your side.

Like I said before, it may leave a bad taste but we need to be playing for these more. Just looking to cause more chaos in the opponents box. Shooting more, crossing more etc, you aren't going to win penalties for handball by just keeping possession

Post #516322  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:03 am 

Hazuki wrote:
My opinion on Aouar is also based on very limited viewings, where my impression has been that he's more of a dribbler than a passer, operation a little deeper than the classic playmaking number 10. For all I know Arteta may use him in a completely different manner, he doesn't seem like the type of manager to buy a player without a plan for him.

That is how I see Aouar from my own limited viewing. If we take a City team analogy he's more like David Silva than De Bruyne. He's a classic No.8, looks like he would be a good quick transition player from defensive to attack and definitely a good dribbler.

I think our creativity problems don't necessarily stem from not having a player like Cazorla for instance, as others have noted Liverpool's midfield 3 is hardly 'creative'. But what we have is a bit of an imbalance because we have a forward 3 who generally work best on the end of things rather than being a key part of the build up and creating chances for each other in the way the Liverpool front 3 function. Aubemeyang, Lacazette, Pépé are all 'at the end' type players. Willian certainly offers something different in that respect and I suspect Arteta sees Aouar doing the same. It doesn't mean he has to come in and start threading through balls like peak Bergkamp it can just be the speed of transition getting the ball to those finishers.

Liverpool's midfield 3 can only operate the way they do because of the all round talent of the front 3. Most team's midfield 3 have now shunned the traditional No.10 and play with either 2 holding and 1 attacking or like City try to play with 1 holding and 2 No.8's. We could possibly operate somewhere in between. Xhaka holding, Ceballos going box to box but with a more defensive mindset when out of possession and Aouar also going box to box with a more attacking mindset. It is all about the balance. Man U for example haven't found that balance in the midfield but were and still are getting bailed out by individual talent in the front 3 positions who are making and scoring goals for themselves and the ridiculous amounts of penalties they get. Man U's biggest problem is Pogba, he will have 1 amazing game in 8 but in the rest he unbalances the team.

Post #516323  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:46 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I'm sure Anfield has earned its reputation as a tough place to go as a player but as a fan I feared Old Trafford and the Bridge more than Anfield. Don't know why but I was more nervous about those places. Even when Liverpool were at their best I didn't fear it as much as Old Trafford at their best usually.

Anfield is more feared than Stamford Bridge for me, even in the peak Chelsea years. I felt we performed better at Chelsea than Anfield.
Maybe it goes back to that run of 20 odd games we had v Chelsea without losing around the turn of the century. Liverpool away has always been a tough game no matter what state Liverpool are in.
Old Trafford was horrible because a) you knew you were up against a good team but more so b) you knew you'd be up against the ref as well that day. There were so many games I watched us play away to Man U that I was left with a sense of injustice, not just the famous ones, there was a period of time when they literally could just kick us all day long and never get punished. Strange that if it was such a good way to beat us those tactics never seemed to happen when we were the home team. It is almost as if Man U knew that their status and the home crowd made refs wilt on those occasions.

Post #516324  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:13 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Saka is the only person in the entire squad who has the ability for the brilliant pass or dribble. The best since Fabergas with those killer defence splitting pass. Özil was capable at times but didn’t have players with him, other than Alexis who could understand.
Yes, Saka has that bit of magic in his game and Ceballos can surprise too. Bellerin and Tierney are not regulation and what Aubemeyang does so often is creative - he rarely taps them into the net.

Post #516325  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:15 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
What might be equally telling is the reason for signing him up on loan, which is something we don’t know. Could feasibly be linked to finance. What it surely has to say though is that Arteta must have wanted Ceballos this season because if he didn’t, I simply can’t imagine we’d have taken him back.

If we are signing players for 50 or 60 million quid in his position when he would cost half that it can’t be an issue of finance can it.

Are we signing anyone for £50-£60m? Perhaps Real Madrid weren’t willing to lose him permanently?

Post #516326  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:17 am 

Darren wrote:
Creative players are what makes football fun. It’s that simple really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDJrZeU9fJ8

Post #516327  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:19 am 

Hoping for a good performance. But no matter what we will always have 1989. Just watched the highlights of the last few minutes again. To save time can someone tell our US poster what actually happened that season.

Post #516328  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:23 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Just read that we have not had a top 6 away win in 5 years. Can't be true, can it? Hmmm....I fear it is.
Dion't forget we did the double over Leicester in their title year.

Post #516329  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:29 am 

Sine Pep took over City he's spent £410m on defenders. It is still early days but Gabriel at £25m looks good business up against that lot
Rúben Dias: £65m
João Cancelo: £58.5m
Aymeric Laporte: £58.5m
Benjamin Mendy: £52m
John Stones: £50m
Kyle Walker: £47m
Nathan Aké: £41m
Danilo: £27m
Angelino: £11m

Post #516330  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:35 am 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Just read that we have not had a top 6 away win in 5 years. Can't be true, can it? Hmmm....I fear it is.

'just read'....? it is a stat that has been shouted by every media outlet for every big Arsenal away game for the last 5 years. I expect even non Arsenal fans can tell you the last time we managed to do it and the facts of the Cazorla/Coq masterclass that day

LOL... I've not read it in the media. Not saying it wasn't widely written about, I never noticed it. Took my surprise when I read it but it makes sense seeing how badly we have been over the last few years. I thought we would have snuck a win in there somewhere. Maybe I'm thinking of cups or something. Anyway, let's end that.

I do recall both Chelsea and Tottenham not beating us for a few years home or away. I thought they had us once till Kanu worked his magic. That impossible angle goal was sublime.

Post #516331  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:39 am 

Even when we were owned them in the league, WHL was scary to me because we had never lost to them when I became a fan. So, add WHL to the list.
Don't get me wrong, Anfield was scary but OT kept me up the night before as well as the Bridge as a close second shading WHL by a whisker.

I assume to the players Anfield was up there with OT. But as for this fan, it was below OT and the 2 major London derbies.

Post #516332  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:42 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Dion't forget we did the double over Leicester in their title year.

Yes, that will go down in the annals of Arsenal lore...lol. Didn't a Tevez led West Ham do the double over Man Utd and almost everyone in the top 4 or something like that one season?

(PS: My autocorrect was taking the proverbial piss as you all say and I caught it right before hitting the send button and changed it to 'annals'...then again we do say Up the ARSEnal)

Post #516333  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:14 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
If we are signing players for 50 or 60 million quid in his position when he would cost half that it can’t be an issue of finance can it.

Are we signing anyone for £50-£60m? Perhaps Real Madrid weren’t willing to lose him permanently?

Well we offered 38 million for Aour that Aulas said he rejected so far.

Yes he’s surplus to requirements at Madrid.

Post #516334  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:31 am 

Somebody not on AGs blocked list (if there are any left) might want to inform him that Mustafi is close to joining Lazio, according to reports in Italy.

Post #516335  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:36 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

That does not mean we’ll be paying £50-£60m for anyone.

This season maybe Ceballos isn’t needed at Real. But isn’t a possible explanation for that a personality clash between him and Zidane? If it’s down to that, maybe they think he’s worth keeping him in case Zidane goes next summer? Also, they presumably can’t be that keen on getting rid of Ceballos. If they were, all they have to do is drop the price low enough to make someone willing to sign him.

I wonder if you’re trying to see issues that may not really be there.

Post #516336  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:47 am 

Rich wrote:
Sine Pep took over City he's spent £410m on defenders. It is still early days but Gabriel at £25m looks good business up against that lot
Rúben Dias: £65m
João Cancelo: £58.5m
Aymeric Laporte: £58.5m
Benjamin Mendy: £52m
John Stones: £50m
Kyle Walker: £47m
Nathan Aké: £41m
Danilo: £27m
Angelino: £11m

Have to say, as good a manager as Guardiola obviously is, that is shockingly poor considering they still have a lot of question marks concering their back four.

Post #516337  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:24 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Also, they presumably can’t be that keen on getting rid of Ceballos. If they were, all they have to do is drop the price low enough to make someone willing to sign him.

They haven’t loaned him out for 2 consecutive years because they see him as a transformational midfielder have they.

Post #516338  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:50 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
They haven’t loaned him out for 2 consecutive years because they see him as a transformational midfielder have they.

Well they’ve chosen not to drop the price low enough to permanently sell him.

Post #516339  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:55 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

From our point of view, whilst he was very good for the last 10 games, he had one standout performance before that in the Burnley game. There still might be some legitimate question marks from our side if there's a significant outlay. For a low fee I think we'd take him in a heartbeat but clearly that's not on the table. Whilst I like him and am glad we've got him again, I think he's still got a point to prove to me that he's first first choice in what we're aspiring to be i.e really challenging for the title.

Post #516340  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:03 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Rumoured next bid coming after the Liverpool game, 40 million euros plus 10 million euros in add ons.

We should be able to raise 40 million from sales - could be an interesting final week of the transfer window. I bet there will be a few surprises, some big teams taking some desperate gambles or loans. That is partly due to the window closing after the season starts, so some teams will be under pressure to act in the market.

Heard Spurs want to sign Christian Benteke.....

Post #516341  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:13 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
My opinion on Aouar is also based on very limited viewings, where my impression has been that he's more of a dribbler than a passer, operation a little deeper than the classic playmaking number 10. For all I know Arteta may use him in a completely different manner, he doesn't seem like the type of manager to buy a player without a plan for him.

Yes, he looks a player who could be fantastic at helping us play through the press. That can lead to situations further up the pitch obviously so such a player would not have great assist stats or even necessarily the greatest pass completions stats. However, for a player to do that they have to be very, very good at not turning over possession.

Post #516342  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:30 pm 

Going to manage my expectations tonight. As of this writing, I'd "loooove it, just loooove it" if we left with a draw. If we lose, as long as we make it respectable, like a hard fought 2-1 game. I'd rather not lose 1-0. I want us to score.
Just make a good account of ourselves.

Post #516343  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:42 pm 

Ledley King doesn't look happy...didn't like Henry's statement...haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6piJI4LL1Q&list=WL&index=1

Post #516344  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:51 pm 

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:

From our point of view, whilst he was very good for the last 10 games, he had one standout performance before that in the Burnley game. There still might be some legitimate question marks from our side if there's a significant outlay. For a low fee I think we'd take him in a heartbeat but clearly that's not on the table. Whilst I like him and am glad we've got him again, I think he's still got a point to prove to me that he's first first choice in what we're aspiring to be i.e really challenging for the title.

Personally I think you’re being over-harsh. Jesus wept, he probably had about as many good games as Martinez and look at the reaction by some to him leaving. I think you’ve got to remember that a slow start to the Premier League by overseas players, which Ceballos is, is hardly rare. My guess is many fans would see our best ever players as Henry and Bergkamp. Neither took off from the start. Some may say they began their Arsenal careers looking a bit underwhelming. I’m not saying Ceballos will ever be comparable to either of them, but I’m just trying to show why I think you’re being very harsh, and from that over-harsh, on him.

Post #516345  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:59 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:

Personally I think you’re being over-harsh. Jesus wept, he probably had about as many good games as Martinez and look at the reaction by some to him leaving. I think you’ve got to remember that a slow start to the Premier League by overseas players, which Ceballos is, is hardly rare. My guess is many fans would see our best ever players as Henry and Bergkamp. Neither took off from the start. Some may say they began their Arsenal careers looking a bit underwhelming. I’m not saying Ceballos will ever be comparable to either of them, but I’m just trying to show why I think you’re being very harsh, and from that over-harsh, on him.

Add in to that the correlation between Arteta becoming manager, asking for more from Ceballos in training and then Ceballos starting to deliver consistently on the pitch.

Post #516346  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:48 pm 

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Decent assessment Ash.

He’s a decent player and moves the ball well but apart from a few pirouettes he isn’t creating much and isn’t a goal threat. I can understand why the club are seeking to spend elsewhere and were unable to commit to the fee.

We need a big game from him tonight.

Post #516347  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:59 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:

Pires stank the place out before he got going.

Post #516348  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:02 pm 

Hmmmn Ceballos dropped for El Nenny

Doesn’t seem to trust him in the big games.

Post #516349  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:08 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Bernard wrote:

A complete over statement if ever there was one. He scored 8 goals and provided 9 assists in his first season and while he did look lightweight and unsure at times you could see his talent beneath the surface

Post #516350  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:16 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Sure, and I can’t really remember but I’m sure I would have had similar questions until he, very emphatically, answered them all. That’s all I’m saying about Ceballos. I personally still have a bit to decide whether he’s a title winning quality player.

Bernard I have no idea why you think I’m being harsh let alone ‘very harsh’ or even ‘over harsh’, I said he played well after the break. I’m just still withholding judgment about whether he’s “Top top” quality from his performances over last season. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he answered that well, but like lots said about Martinez I’d want a larger sample size if games from him at that level.

Post #516351  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:23 pm 

Martinez just made a howler but the goal was chalked off for an earlier foul on var review. The life of a gk. it’ll be forgotten. Make your mistakes and don’t concede or make them and your team still wins, makes a big difference in the luck and life of gk’s

Post #516352  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:25 pm 

1Leno
16Holding
23David Luiz
3Tierney
2Bellerín
25Elneny
34Xhaka
15Maitland-Niles
12Willian
9Lacazette
14Aubameyang

Substitutes
6dos Santos Magalhães
7Saka
8Ceballos
13Rúnarsson
19Pépé
30Nketiah
31Kolasinac

Great outfield team. Wingbacks and a solid defence. Was this the FA Cup team, I can't remember.

Post #516353  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:40 pm 

Rich wrote:
Martinez just made a howler but the goal was chalked off for an earlier foul on var review. The life of a gk. it’ll be forgotten. Make your mistakes and don’t concede or make them and your team still wins, makes a big difference in the luck and life of gk’s

Tell me about it.

In Lenos case he doesn’t even have to make the mistake to get the blame as our fans chalk up imaginary missed crosses and invisible missed free kicks to deride him.

Post #516354  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:50 pm 

Comparisons between Pires and Ceballos dont add up at all for me. Pires was 26/27 when he joined and was a World Cup and European Championships winner. There was no doubt whatsoever about his talent.

Ceballos is a young player who has done very little yet. I hope he develops into a fine player for us, but he is at a totally different level from what Pires was when we signed him.

Post #516355  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:52 pm 

Wrong trophy closer to the Community Shield team against Liverpool.

Willian and Lacazette in place of Eddie and Saka.

:5encouragement: Arsenal

Post #516356  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:55 pm 

can’t help but think you have to find a way to accommodate Saka in the starting line up. His footballing brain in the final third is a massive boost

Post #516357  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:13 pm 

Need to ride out the pressure here early on.

Post #516358  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:16 pm 

Mané shot, luckily straight at Leno, a foot either side and Leno wouldn't have seen it. Under a lot of early pressure

Post #516359  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:22 pm 

deflected shot hits the bar for them. lucky for us but would have been a very lucky goal

Post #516360  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:25 pm 

Total onslaught.

Can’t get a little toe in the game let alone a foot

Edit

Hahahahaha

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12906, 12907, 12908, 12909, 12910, 12911, 12912 ... 14269  Next