Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 24 guests

Post #516241  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:13 am 

A few of the more reliable French outlets are reporting we've made a bid of €35m for Aouar and negotiations are taking place, with some even saying we've agreed personal terms with the player. If that last bit is true it probably means Lyon believe a deal can be made. Not done yet, but some very encouraging signs, he seems to be extremely highly rated.

Post #516242  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:19 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
If it were possible, I'd take Dele Alli in a heartbeat.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tottenham- ... 14069.html

Aside from him being a complete snide, cheat, wrong un he’s also massively over rated, usually flatters to deceive and goes missing regularly. Therefore I’m not shocked at all to hear you want him with us.

Ridiculous mate

Post #516243  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:15 am 

Post #516244  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:28 am 

There is enough noise around the Aouar deal that makes me think it will happen. The Lyon president has effectively said he can go at a the right price. Feels like the price may be around £40m plus add ons

Post #516245  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:16 pm 

Manchester United on their way to a very good win against a Brighton side that has been the much better tim - they've hit the woodwork five times and have two penalties turned down. Both decisions looked questionable. This United team continues to look quite mediocre.

Post #516246  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:17 pm 

Watching Brighton Man U. Just a few minutes left, Man U 2-1 up but Brighton have hit the woodwork 5 times, had a pen overturned by VAR and missed several other chances. They will be gutted to lose this.

Edit: beat me to it Haz!

Post #516247  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:23 pm 

Yes!!! Last minute of injury time Brighton equalize.

Post #516248  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:26 pm 

Nooooo .... United pen. *%^@.

Post #516249  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:33 pm 

Feel sorry for BHA. Manure jammy.

Post #516250  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:00 pm 

F........ing ridiculous penalty given to Everton. Legit according to comms according to the new rules but what a joke of a penalty. The FA are determined to wreck the game of football.

I wonder what influence Mike Riley has had on the decision to change the law and the decision taken? He is the head ogf referees and must have been involved?

Post #516251  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:17 pm 

Tough loss for Brighton. Hoping they'd get something out of the match. They deserved better.

Post #516252  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:09 pm 

Baggies! :58big-emoticons:

Post #516253  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:11 pm 

Arsenal women thump Spurs women 4-0 :21encouragement:

Post #516254  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:34 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
F........ing ridiculous penalty given to Everton. Legit according to comms according to the new rules but what a joke of a penalty. The FA are determined to wreck the game of football.

I wonder what influence Mike Riley has had on the decision to change the law and the decision taken? He is the head ogf referees and must have been involved?

What I don’t understand is why referees have a big say in the law change? Surely it’s up to the FA and the clubs, and if the clubs are involved we won’t have all this “We don’t the new rule” nonsense that regularly crops up at the beginning of the season and the if the clubs are part of the decision making process and have a vote, they can tell the freaking players!

Post #516255  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:35 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

The number of times you do this sort of thing and the opposition get back into it, has it really never crossed your mind to just avoid posting about such games until the end of the match when the result is guaranteed?

Post #516256  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:44 pm 

I know Man U and Chelsea both came back to get points but I’m quite happy with their performances. Both look out of sorts and neither manager is adding anything beyond the individual talent in their teams.

Post #516257  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:52 pm 

Rich wrote:
There is enough noise around the Aouar deal that makes me think it will happen. The Lyon president has effectively said he can go at a the right price. Feels like the price may be around £40m plus add ons

I realise I’ve never seen Aouar play, that I’ve noticed, or know much about him at all, but don’t worry for all of you in the same boat - I’ve done some YouTube scouting! For the layman in simple terms to me he seems like a more final third attacking Ceballos, with more pace and an eye for goal.

Plus the only news I can see is Lyon have soundly rejected our latest bid :icon_eek1:

Post #516258  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:59 pm 

That chelsea performance wasn’t great but I was impressed with mount and Havertz who did a decent job of connecting the dots in midfield.

We are desperate for that kind of player can play passing give and go type combination football. We just don’t have it and Aour seems to be in that mould.

Post #516259  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:07 pm 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:

I realise I’ve never seen Aouar play, that I’ve noticed, or know much about him at all, but don’t worry for all of you in the same boat - I’ve done some YouTube scouting! For the layman in simple terms to me he seems like a more final third attacking Ceballos, with more pace and an eye for goal.

Plus the only news I can see is Lyon have soundly rejected our latest bid :icon_eek1:

I’ve never seen Aouar either, or if I have I don’t remember. Therefore I’ve also no idea what he’s like. But one comment I did see today was that he isn’t a ‘final pass’ midfielder. I took that to mean he isn’t a creative provider of assists, but someone who keeps the ball moving from both deeper and more offensive positions without being a Brady or Hudson ‘final pass’ type.

Look, as I said I know next to nothing about him. But if what I read is true, those who think we need another creative player (and I’m not convinced we do) could end up being disappointed. What I saw gave me impression he’s less creative than Ceballos.

Post #516260  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:33 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:

I’ve never seen Aouar either, or if I have I don’t remember. Therefore I’ve also no idea what he’s like. But one comment I did see today was that he isn’t a ‘final pass’ midfielder. I took that to mean he isn’t a creative provider of assists, but someone who keeps the ball moving from both deeper and more offensive positions without being a Brady or Hudson ‘final pass’ type.

Look, as I said I know next to nothing about him. But if what I read is true, those who think we need another creative player (and I’m not convinced we do) could end up being disappointed. What I saw gave me impression he’s less creative than Ceballos.

Watched Aouar a few times, the player he reminded me of the most was actually Samir Nasri I thought where he can play very speedily on the turn with a range of passing. I think he might of played on the Wing when I watched him but probably could play in different positions.

Just looked at his stats, he scored 9 goals and provided 10 assists in all competitions last season. That’s definitely more creative than our current central players.

Post #516261  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:52 pm 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:

Intrigued so I just watched this clip on you tube, in this game he’s clearly operating as the most focal attacking midfield player. Provided both assists. What’s the deal with ceballos then ? Arteta wants to spend 80 million on Partey and this guy but not 23 on Dani. Must still have the jury out on him.

https://youtu.be/VOspeYX0awQ

Post #516262  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:03 pm 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

The number of times you do this sort of thing and the opposition get back into it, has it really never crossed your mind to just avoid posting about such games until the end of the match when the result is guaranteed?

I noticed they were 3-0 down then was rather unpleasantly surprised to see it ended 3-3. I wondered if the Transatlantic jinx had struck again so I came on here and ... :8angers:

Post #516263  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Watched Aouar a few times, the player he reminded me of the most was actually Samir Nasri I thought where he can play very speedily on the turn with a range of passing. I think he might of played on the Wing when I watched him but probably could play in different positions.

God help us then. I never really rated Nasri. Three seasons, two of which were pretty damn ordinary, half of one was great, and the other half of his last one was rubbish. To me that works out as average.

Post #516264  Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:03 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

God help us then. I never really rated Nasri. Three seasons, two of which were pretty damn ordinary, half of one was great, and the other half of his last one was rubbish. To me that works out as average.

Nasri was a good player while he was focussed. I was talking style of play though rather than overall ability. I’d expect some ability if this guys worth 50 million quid

Post #516265  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:23 am 

Thought West Brom had it. Very disappointed in their letting them come back. That's the difference between some squads. Some aren't used to that. Oh well. Still, dropped points for Chelsea though. A loss would have been better obviously.

Arsenal, stop playing with my emotions like I'm some school girl. A '2fer'. Aouar is good, very good, but , there seems to be this over emphasis on just how good. Well, hopefully its more than worth it. Still shocking Mustafi is our biggest transfer for a defender. Anyone involved in that contract should be taken out back and face a real cannon. Anyway, hopefully off to Lazio, a fascist club. Gives me all the more reason to dislike them...lol. If he goes, I truly wish him luck. Have to pity him more than hate him.
https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... r-19004159

Arsenal transfer rumours: Lyon chief comments on Houssem Aouar bid, Shkodran Mustafi agreement

Post #516266  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:26 am 

Like this will ever happen. lol. Zaha for Reiss Nelson swap.
https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... jJcGsnLHOI

Post #516267  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:11 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Nasri was a good player while he was focussed. I was talking style of play though rather than overall ability. I’d expect some ability if this guys worth 50 million quid

Nasri was very good for half a season. That was it. His very bad half a season says as much about him as that. He was ordinary in his other two years. Fair enough if you were talking more about style of play. But overall Nasri’s pros and cons added up to bang average in my view.

Post #516268  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:29 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Nasri was very good for half a season. That was it. His very bad half a season says as much about him as that. He was ordinary in his other two years. Fair enough if you were talking more about style of play. But overall Nasri’s pros and cons added up to bang average in my view.

Like I said I was talking about style of play. A player who likes to receive the ball to feet in congested areas because he is comfortable turning quickly and distributing because he is quick on his feet. Mobility and speed.

I didn’t like Nasri as a human being or think he was amazing overall but you might be doing him a slight disservice there whilst I’m not bothered. He was decent enough and he’s also the scorer of my favourite goal at the Emirates.

Post #516269  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:07 am 

I'm hoping if we can only get one of them that the club is making Partey or a person with similar qualities the priority.

Post #516270  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:10 am 

Football is finding out what American pro sports discovered first, that VAR often creates more controversy than i solves...lol
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54308072

Post #516271  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:27 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

I didn’t like Nasri as a human being or think he was amazing overall but you might be doing him a slight disservice there whilst I’m not bothered. He was decent enough and he’s also the scorer of my favourite goal at the Emirates.

Which goal was that then? The two that spring to my mind were the slaloming run v Porto or the 2nd goal v Man U, pass from Cesc as the Man U defence seemed to part and Nasri smashed it in!

Post #516272  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:47 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Which goal was that then? The two that spring to my mind were the slaloming run v Porto or the 2nd goal v Man U, pass from Cesc as the Man U defence seemed to part and Nasri smashed it in!

United, classic wengerball pass and move

Post #516273  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:13 am 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:

I also noticed that he is fairly small, and that his ball retention is reputedly not so great.

Post #516274  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:22 am 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I also noticed that he is fairly small, and that his ball retention is reputedly not so great.

If that’s right I wonder why we’re supposedly after him?

Post #516275  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:30 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

If that’s right I wonder why we’re supposedly after him?

I’ve read the opposite, which, again, if true would make sense. Not seen much of him at all but he looks more on the creative side to me at least.

Post #516276  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:46 am 

I think football is moving on from the traditional playmaker to a certain extent. Aouar doesn't strike me as number 10 type who will deliver the perfect final pass, but rather a player who will thrive in transition, being able to turn with the ball and move our play forward. From the little I've seen he has excellent technique which should allow him to keep the ball under control in close quarters and beat the press. More of a replacement for Cazorla than Özil, to make an Arsenal analogy.

Look at Liverpool, there wasn't a single playmaker in that team before Thiago arrived. They still created loads of chances though by pressing hard, winning the ball back, and having quick forwards that can score.

Partey is a different player than Aouar, but could in some ways serve the same purpose, being physically strong and an excellent dribbler who could advance our play. Too often we get stuck against a packed defense and I don't think that's solved just by signing someone who can play through balls to the strikers.

Post #516277  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:46 am 

We really don't have a ball winner in the middle of the pitch. Partey could come close to that. We got a ton of goals from Vieira winning the ball and sparking a quick counter. I'm not expecting Partey to be as effective. I'd love to have someone who can break up opposition build-up, win the ball occasionally, read the game well and strong in the middle of the pitch to bully the opposition if needed.

Guendouzi looked to being that type of player to some extent. Not totally but to some extent. Torreira as well. As we all know neither have worked out for whatever reasons.

Elneny or Xhaka aren't that player. Aouar seems more like a more skillful Ramsey than Fabregas. My guess is he is being bought to cause havoc in the middle of the pitch for the opposition. The PL has a lot teams playing high on the pitch, clogged middle and Aouar appears to be someone who can help break down that type of opposition.

Post #516278  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:39 pm 

I never quite understand how some clubs can splash the cash and others of a similar standing cant, and those that do splash the cash not fall foul of any FFP rules. Take Villa for instance, £140m net spend last year and £75m net spend this year. How are Villa spending what a champions league club would struggle to spend?

Post #516279  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:49 pm 

Tierney should be fit for Anfield. There are also reports that Thiago and Allison are major doubts for Liverpool. I always see these reports that opponents big players are meant to be out and then you see the team sheet and they've made a miraculous recovery and show no signs of carrying an injury at all in the match.

Post #516280  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:16 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
I think football is moving on from the traditional playmaker to a certain extent. Aouar doesn't strike me as number 10 type who will deliver the perfect final pass, but rather a player who will thrive in transition, being able to turn with the ball and move our play forward. From the little I've seen he has excellent technique which should allow him to keep the ball under control in close quarters and beat the press. More of a replacement for Cazorla than Özil, to make an Arsenal analogy.

Look at Liverpool, there wasn't a single playmaker in that team before Thiago arrived. They still created loads of chances though by pressing hard, winning the ball back, and having quick forwards that can score.

Partey is a different player than Aouar, but could in some ways serve the same purpose, being physically strong and an excellent dribbler who could advance our play. Too often we get stuck against a packed defense and I don't think that's solved just by signing someone who can play through balls to the strikers.

I largely agree with what you say there. It was my rationale for not considering the creative midfielder as big a priority as some here do. Where was Liverpool’s creative midfielder last season? I’m pretty sure I’ve said that I suspect the game has moved on from needing a Hudson, Özil (at his peak), Hoddle, Gascoigne etc type. I’m not saying creativity is now defunct in the modern game. But I have genuine doubts that finding a creative midfielder is half as important as some seem to think.

I don’t even think Thiago is that creative. A super player, no doubt. But I never saw him as a provider of pinpoint creative through balls giving open goals or one on ones for Lewandowski when at Bayern. He always looked a more functional and busy ‘move the ball on’ type player to me.

As I’ve said, I know next to nothing about Aouar (including knowing how to spell his name with any certainty). But from what I’ve read regarding him not being a ‘final pass’ midfielder, and from what you say, if he does arrive I won’t be expecting dozens of assists from him.

[ 570733 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12904, 12905, 12906, 12907, 12908, 12909, 12910 ... 14269  Next