Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 104 guests

Post #516121  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:31 pm 

Goonie wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Let's be honest. RM didn't buy Becks for his talent alone. They knew they would recoup the money spent on merchandizing.
Park made a lot of money for Man Utd with shirt sales...a lot! Koreans around the world bought a ton of them. LA has the largest Korean American community in America and Park's shirt seemed like a requirement.

Also, many Koreans made the trek to OT to see matches. The club always make sure they were able to. I know a guy who went with his girlfriend.

The MLB has a few Korean players and they make money for their teams as well.

Son's full market potential is wasted at Tottenham. He needs to go to a bigger club. :)
To this day you can still see people wearing Nakata's shirt in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. Similarly I think people will wear Salah's shirt for the next couple of decades after he retires where there are sizeable Liverpool-supporting Muslim communities.

Hi Goonie,
Maradona shirt sales haven't diminished either.

Post #516122  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:34 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Weirdest move in the transfer window yet is Morata getting another potentially expensive move. €9m loan to Juventus, with option to buy for €45m. Went to Juventus from Real Madrid for €20m, then back to Real for €30. Then moved to Chelsea for £60, and then on loan to Atletico who then signed him permanently for £58m. Since that first season in Juventus he has scored an average of 15 goals per season. In all competitions.

Surely the agents giving people brown envelopes. How can you explain that

There is definitely some strategic accounting going on. Take for example Pjanic going to Barca from Juve and Arthur going to Juve from Barca. Both good players but they were each signed for about £50-60m. Easily double their market value.

Post #516123  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:40 pm 

Zed wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Son's full market potential is wasted at Tottenham. He needs to go to a bigger club. :)
To this day you can still see people wearing Nakata's shirt in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. Similarly I think people will wear Salah's shirt for the next couple of decades after he retires where there are sizeable Liverpool-supporting Muslim communities.

Hi Goonie,

In England?!

Post #516124  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:40 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Surely the agents giving people brown envelopes. How can you explain that

There is definitely some strategic accounting going on. Take for example Pjanic going to Barca from Juve and Arthur going to Juve from Barca. Both good players but they were each signed for about £50-60m. Easily double their market value.

Hmmmn isn’t there that rule in Spain where if the club chose the governments equivalent furlough scheme they can only spend a small percentage of incoming transfer funds on new players. It’s something like 20% and Barca did accept that government help. I wonder if that relates to it.

Post #516125  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:17 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Zed wrote:
Hi Goonie,

In England?!

Just in general Goonie. Especially in Latino countries.

Post #516126  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:21 pm 

So the new GK Runny guy has the lucky 13 shirt..:icon_lol1:

Post #516127  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:38 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ah Martinez has just saved a penalty

5.4.3.2.1....... go

And a very good save it was. That plus a clean sheet. I’m pleased for him.

Post #516128  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:17 pm 

Zed wrote:
Goonie wrote:

In England?!

Haha, was just joking. In Scotland, maybe. Naples definitely.

He is/was so revered in Argentina, almost god-like status. I can't think of another player treated as such since. Maybe when India produces a world class player will we see such veneration to a player again.

Post #516129  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:41 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

5.4.3.2.1....... go

And how many penalties has Leno saved this season!!!???

I’ll tell you!! NONE!! What a disgrace!! That’s infinity percent more Martinez penalty saves FACT!!

Sack the board, politically disavow Arteta, eviscerate the squad, push the stadium into Middlesex. I told you this would happen, we could have got a hundred odd Mil for Leno from Bayern...

Post #516130  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:25 am 

Ash wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

5.4.3.2.1....... go

I’ll tell you!! NONE!! What a disgrace!! That’s infinity percent more Martinez penalty saves FACT!!

Sack the board, politically disavow Arteta, eviscerate the squad, push the stadium into Middlesex. I told you this would happen, we could have got a hundred odd Mil for Leno from Bayern...

Leno did look pretty flaky under their crosses though.

Post #516131  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:10 am 

Ash wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

5.4.3.2.1....... go

:laughing7: lol
Tomorrow a Leicester player is going to replicate the Maradona solo goal from the 86 World Cup and when he does ?

“BLOODY ICELANDIC KID!!!!!, should never have sold Martinez. Kroenke is a disgrace, Arteta is clueless rar rar rar “

Post #516132  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:12 am 

Goonie wrote:
Zed wrote:

He is/was so revered in Argentina, almost god-like status. I can't think of another player treated as such since. Maybe when India produces a world class player will we see such veneration to a player again.

Maradona is unique. He is like a proper god, in the old pagan tradition, full of foibles and drama and corruption, along with the heroism and divine talent. None of this 'holier than thou' Judeo-Christian malarkey about the divine Diego!

Post #516133  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:20 am 

Ash wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

5.4.3.2.1....... go

And let me be the first to admit it ... I did not foresee the non-appearance of Luiz and therefore the dastardly non-saving of non-penalities by the hopeless Leno ...

And let us go further ... not just you, but also the omniscient American Gooner predicting the entire fiasco. Such foresight ... just two games in an the entire season collapsing around our ears. :laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #516134  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:38 am 

It will be very interesting what happens in the remaining 2 weeks of the transfer window. The latest government rules mean fans won't be coming back in to stadiums any time soon. This is such a huge financial hit for clubs. I can see far more of the loan with option to buy type deals where club are effectively kicking the cost of transfers down the road in the hope of a return to normality next season. This will only work if everyone else in your chain plays ball, much like selling a house. You're only going to loan out your player if you can get a player in.

If Atletico want Torreira and we want Partey you would hope there is some way for the teams to do a deal. Torreira + cash for Partey?

The loans also work for teams who don't think they'd get true value for a player in the current market, but after a year of the player actually playing and the market returning to normal next year they can sell him for closer to his real value.

Torreira and Guendouzi seem to be the players who would actually generate money we can do something with, but we do need to find buyers for Sokratis, Kolasinac, Chambers - Those 3 could add £20-25m to the budget.

Post #516135  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:44 am 

There are a lot of good teams in the prem now. Most teams on their day can give any team a scare. If a top team is slightly off it and a smaller team on it I would back anyone in the top 12 to beat the top team.

After the 'big 6' you have Wolves and Leicester who both have very reliable stable teams. Everton now look a good side after Ancelotti crafted a whole new midfield and they've moved to a 4-2-3-1 formation. Those 3 plus the big 6 and you're already looking at one of those teams finishing 9th!

Burnley are always stubborn particularly at home. Palace have proven over the years they can cause upsets with their counter attack. Leeds will bloody a few noses for sure this season, Bielsa has them well drilled and they press and pass like a seasoned premier league side.

People often say there are very few easy games in the premier league, that wasn't always true as there have been some awful teams over the years, but currently every team has at least 1 player who can hurt you.

Post #516136  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:27 am 

Rich wrote:
There are a lot of good teams in the prem now. Most teams on their day can give any team a scare. If a top team is slightly off it and a smaller team on it I would back anyone in the top 12 to beat the top team.

After the 'big 6' you have Wolves and Leicester who both have very reliable stable teams. Everton now look a good side after Ancelotti crafted a whole new midfield and they've moved to a 4-2-3-1 formation. Those 3 plus the big 6 and you're already looking at one of those teams finishing 9th!

Burnley are always stubborn particularly at home. Palace have proven over the years they can cause upsets with their counter attack. Leeds will bloody a few noses for sure this season, Bielsa has them well drilled and they press and pass like a seasoned premier league side.

People often say there are very few easy games in the premier league, that wasn't always true as there have been some awful teams over the years, but currently every team has at least 1 player who can hurt you.

Hi Rich,

Wolves missed at least three gilt-edged chances in the 2nd half yesterday and had they taken them they could have easily snatched a draw or better.

Post #516137  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 am 

Not long left now to get the players in we need.

However, as Rich pointed out, with the threat of Covid casting a dark shadow over football in general it may be that we do nothing.

Again, as Rich pointed out, teams are generally getting stronger in the top half of the table. It would be hugely disappointing not to have a couple more quality additions.

I must say, if we don't sign anymore players I am scratching my head as to why Aubameyang signed a 3 year deal. It can't have been about money. I had assumed he had received reassurances (been given the nod) over squad strengthening.

Post #516138  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:58 am 

L'Equipe reporting that Guendouzi has handed in a transfer request. I'm pretty sure that usually weakens the selling club's position

Post #516139  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:03 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich,

Wolves missed at least three gilt-edged chances in the 2nd half yesterday and had they taken them they could have easily snatched a draw or better.

I saw, that Podence lad looks very useful. Lovely nutmeg on De Bruyne before the assist for Jimenez.
Wolves doing a bit of a Leicester in the transfer market, selling Jota £43m to a big club and have the next player ready to take his place.
speaking of Leicester, I really like the look of Castagne, playing right back but will probably move over to left back when Pereira is back. Castagne was £21m to replace the £50m sale of Chilwell. Leicester do need centr backs though.

Post #516140  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:07 am 

socrates wrote:
I had assumed he had received reassurances (been given the nod) over squad strengthening.

Morning socrates. You’ve said that before and I’ll repeat what I said the last time. There is no way that the club could give him any reassurances about squad strengthening. They wouldn’t have gone any further than saying words to the effect that they hope to make new signings, or that they’d like to.

Sorry, but thinking firm assurances would have been given to Aubameyang strikes me as a bit naive.

Post #516141  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:09 am 

socrates wrote:
I must say, if we don't sign anymore players I am scratching my head as to why Aubameyang signed a 3 year deal. It can't have been about money. I had assumed he had received reassurances (been given the nod) over squad strengthening.

Morning Socrates, We're pretty much at net zero spend with Gabriel and Runnarsson being cancelled out by Martinez and a few small fees for younger players or sell on clauses. It would also be valid to argue that Willian replaces Mkhitaryan in terms of cost to the club

It is quite possible that Arsenal need to find a way to be net zero by the end of the window. The list of outs or potential outs is long, Torreira, Guendouzi, Sokratis, Kolasinac, Chambers, Mustafi, Balogun - possibly even Lacazette. The list of ins or potential ins seems to focus on 2 players only at this stage, Partey and Aouar, possibly a striker as well is Lacazette leaves.

Do those 7 (minus lacazette) equal enough money to buy Partey and Aouar? I doubt it.

Post #516142  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:54 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
I had assumed he had received reassurances (been given the nod) over squad strengthening.

Morning socrates. You’ve said that before and I’ll repeat what I said the last time. There is no way that the club could give him any reassurances about squad strengthening. They wouldn’t have gone any further than saying words to the effect that they hope to make new signings, or that they’d like to.

Sorry, but thinking firm assurances would have been given to Aubameyang strikes me as a bit naive.

I think your right Bernard, this is what I said yesterday. 100 million of our total revenue comes from match day. How can the club say anything whilst it can’t guarantee that income ? A quarter of our income. How can these clubs be just hammering out these transfers ? They must be spending season ticket money paid in advance they don’t know when they will be fulfilling.

I think it’s going to be very difficult to sign many players whilst the Covid madness continues. Might see 1 midfielder come in if we can offload some centre halves on loan.

Post #516143  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:40 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

Bernard, this is football we are talking about, I think its naive to think that Aubameyang's contract discussions did not include him discussing the clubs plans for this transfer window and beyond. I am not saying they gave him names, of course not, but they will surely have told him they expected to bring in a number of players.

I would be amazed if Aubameyang signed a 3 year deal, at his age, without some reassurances over the level of the club's ambitions. That would make no sense unless Aubameyang himself is happy to play outside of the CL and challenge only for minor trophies. If I was Aubameyang I most certainly would not be signing a new deal without believing that the club has big ambitions which can only be met by, amongst other things, bringing in better players.

Post #516144  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:21 pm 

:58big-emoticons:

Post #516145  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:18 pm 

Messi the gooner. lol...not realistic but fun story. Even if he had come we wouldn't have been able t hang on to him but for a few years probably.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/messi-temp ... 09465.html

Post #516146  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:27 pm 

socrates wrote:
...I would be amazed if Aubameyang signed a 3 year deal, at his age, without some reassurances over the level of the club's ambitions. That would make no sense unless Aubameyang himself is happy to play outside of the CL and challenge only for minor trophies. If I was Aubameyang I most certainly would not be signing a new deal without believing that the club has big ambitions which can only be met by, amongst other things, bringing in better players.
On the other hand with the possibility that Covid will be with us for years (no sign it is going away yet), thereby reducing the income of even the biggest clubs for a number of seasons, maybe Aubemayang opted for stability and the lucrative money on offer at Arsenal while it is there for the taking? In his career he has very few winners medals - the couple with a club he likes may mean more to him than we imagine?

Post #516147  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:33 pm 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Bernard, this is football we are talking about, I think its naive to think that Aubameyang's contract discussions did not include him discussing the clubs plans for this transfer window and beyond. I am not saying they gave him names, of course not, but they will surely have told him they expected to bring in a number of players.

I would be amazed if Aubameyang signed a 3 year deal, at his age, without some reassurances over the level of the club's ambitions. That would make no sense unless Aubameyang himself is happy to play outside of the CL and challenge only for minor trophies. If I was Aubameyang I most certainly would not be signing a new deal without believing that the club has big ambitions which can only be met by, amongst other things, bringing in better players.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by assurances. The club probably told him, as I said in my post, that they hoped to sign another player or two. When I saw your use of the word, I took you meaning ‘assurance’ as some sort of promise or guarantee. I simply think it’s naive to believe the club would or could give such a promise or guarantee. An expression of hope or a desire to is about as strong as it can get, in my opinion. That isn’t what I’d call an assurance:

Post #516148  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:16 pm 

There is another way of considering all this. A cynic might observe that when a player demands assurances on spending, what they really mean is spending on ME ME ME!

Bugger the team and new players, what they want is an assurance that the Club has the ambition to pay their enormously bloated and inflated salary.

Post #516149  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:33 pm 

If Arsenal persist with the back 3 through this season we clearly have enough CB to make this work, but once we've got rid of the ones we don't want we run the risk of having an imbalance in numbers, ability and experience on the left side.
Luiz - best in the middle, could play right or left
Gabriel - probably best on the left or in the middle
Mari - probably best on the left or in the middle
Tierney - only used on the left of a back 3
Kolasinac - only used on the left of a back 3

Saliba - probably best used on the right of the 3
Mustafi - best on the right of the 3
Sokratis - best used on the right of the 3
Holding - can play right or left of the 3
Chambers - best used on the right of the 3

Apart from Kolasinac all the strength is on the left. Saliba is still very young. Holding can be up and down still. Mustafi looked like our best defender at the back end of last year, but only 1 year left on his deal so its now or never to get a fee for him.
We need to get rid of at least 3 of them. If Mustafi is only generating a nominal fee I'd keep him and sell Sokratis, Kolasinac and Chambers

What is the best 3 if everyone is fit?

Post #516150  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:38 pm 

Would love a solid Sol Campbell type for the middle.

Post #516151  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:57 pm 

DHD wrote:
There is another way of considering all this. A cynic might observe that when a player demands assurances on spending, what they really mean is spending on ME ME ME!

Bugger the team and new players, what they want is an assurance that the Club has the ambition to pay their enormously bloated and inflated salary.

Yes absolutely, let’s not forget Ashley Cole was still playing for the league champions who had just completed an unbeaten season when he met with Mourinho because of money. Don’t give me all this claptrap about footballing integrity

Also let’s be honest, if Aubameyang was 27 and not 31 and it wasn’t during Covid he never would have signed the deal.

Post #516152  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:07 pm 

I wonder if Alexis demanded ‘assurances’ from Man U about buying players before signing a £500k per week contract? Anyone think Özil asked for any assurances beyond soft fluffy towels?

It’s mostly bollocks. Players don’t give a *%^@ about much beyond their personal remuneration. Man U have been signing ‘ambitious’ world-class players - NAMES - for years without a sniff of European opportunity.

Post #516153  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:12 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
socrates wrote:
...I would be amazed if Aubameyang signed a 3 year deal, at his age, without some reassurances over the level of the club's ambitions. That would make no sense unless Aubameyang himself is happy to play outside of the CL and challenge only for minor trophies. If I was Aubameyang I most certainly would not be signing a new deal without believing that the club has big ambitions which can only be met by, amongst other things, bringing in better players.
On the other hand with the possibility that Covid will be with us for years (no sign it is going away yet), thereby reducing the income of even the biggest clubs for a number of seasons, maybe Aubemayang opted for stability and the lucrative money on offer at Arsenal while it is there for the taking? In his career he has very few winners medals - the couple with a club he likes may mean more to him than we imagine?

Maybe he stipulated that he only wants central midfielders who pass the ball sideways?

Perhaps he's come to relish the challenge of having to come back and fetch it himself?

Post #516154  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:45 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Maradona is unique. He is like a proper god, in the old pagan tradition, full of foibles and drama and corruption, along with the heroism and divine talent. None of this 'holier than thou' Judeo-Christian malarkey about the divine Diego!

Yes, isn't he though. A powerful player by reputation.

Post #516155  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:48 pm 

Players are by and large like reptiles - cold and calculating, warmed only by money and adulation. Their agents add to their ridiculous financial requirements to satisfy their own equally ludicrous aspirations. Their PR professionals reinvent them as grounded and caring - but they really ain’t like that.

They are dung beetles, mining the opportunities on offer.

Post #516156  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:48 pm 

DHD wrote:

Well all considered, nothing shameful in Aubameyang wanting 'assurances' all round. Especially knowing the type of owner we have.

Post #516157  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:53 pm 

Back 3 months ago after that Maupay incident, the curly long haired one, apparently asked for a transfer when speaking to Arsenal chiefs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/arsenal.ne ... nsfer/amp/

Post #516158  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:11 pm 

DHD wrote:
Players are by and large like reptiles - cold and calculating, warmed only by money and adulation. Their agents add to their ridiculous financial requirements to satisfy their own equally ludicrous aspirations. Their PR professionals reinvent them as grounded and caring - but they really ain’t like that.

They are dung beetles, mining the opportunities on offer.

Well, as reptilian dung beetles go I prefer the sort that score goals for fun, work hard for the team, and seem to appreciate the adulation. :laughing7:

Post #516159  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:36 pm 

Apparently the transfer request story has no legs. Twitter rumours that ran wild. Why would a player who has been shopped all over Europe still go out an ask for a transfer? He is in the market already.

Post #516160  Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:40 pm 

The last player to demand guarantees of signings and actual names of players was RVP. It never ended well that conversation with Gazidis. We all know where he ended up a year later lifting the PL.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12901, 12902, 12903, 12904, 12905, 12906, 12907 ... 14269  Next