Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 88 guests

Post #516081  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:07 pm 

Some very strange penalties being awarded for handball so far this season, I'm not even sure I know what the rules are any more. But if the standard being applied so far in the league is the standard going forward then if I were Arteta I would be telling players to literally kick the ball at the opponents arms anywhere in the box. The rule needs to change,or the interpretation of it but at the moment you can win 3 points just by kicking a ball at an opponents arm. Get on it Arsenal

Post #516082  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:15 pm 

So many goals being scored in the prem. I would agree that the prem might be the best league in Europe for entertainment, and potentially for competitiveness, as in much more upsets in games. But with the standard of defending I don't think it is the highest quality league. Much of the entertainment stems from awful defending as much as it does the fast pace and refs letting things go.

Post #516083  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:18 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
With my earlier post I mention Ceballos and Willian. But I didn’t mention Saka. All three played yesterday. I still question this belief that’s doing the rounds here that we’re lacking creativity in midfield. With Willian, Ceballos and Saka in the team how on earth can we lack creativity?

In my view the best midfields need balance with a mix of different types of player, rather than jam pack them with creative midfielders. It wouldn’t surprise me if a midfield four of Brady, Hudson, Hoddle and Gascoigne (a mix of arguably Arsenal and Tottenham’s most creative midfielders since I’ve been following football) would get overrun by more balanced midfields. Especially if you have an ultra-creative front two of Charlie George and Ginola in front of them.

I’ll be in a minority on this, but I still question why Willian, Ceballos and Saka won’t give us sufficient creativity for the modern game.

Because in 24 games last season Ceballos scored no goals and got 2 assists in the premier league. Kevin De Bruyne got 13 goals and 20 assists. We aren’t asking Ceballos to mirror that but if you have aspirations of getting into the top 4 you can’t have such little output coming from the middle of the park. Everyone can see this and is aware our midfield is an issue.

Also because of a lack of decent penetrative midfielders we have to play 3 central defenders which sometimes like yesterday really give the opposition too much respect when an extra pair of hands in the middle would help.

Ceballos showed what a fine player he was towards the end of the season when he really came into his own. Sorry I think you’re making a fuss over very little. With Ceballos, Willian and Saka I feel we should have enough creativity in midfield.

Post #516084  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:27 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I said to manage expectations and was proven right. We won't be a fully settled squad till a few more months. If that.

Like an Oracle eh? Almost omniscient. :icon_question1:

Post #516085  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:32 pm 

Henry McGhee: You aren't saying he's omnipotent? (Regarding Jackie Wright as a Guru)
Fred Scuttle: Er...ah..you'll have to ask his wife, sir.

Post #516086  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:35 pm 

I forgot we were playing away to Leicester in the League Cup on wednesday night. It will be interesting to see what the team is. I'd expect any first teamers who need some minutes to be playing, so Cédric, Pépé, Willock, Nelson, Nketiah. Macey in goal? Will we see Özil or Saliba?

Post #516087  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:37 pm 

Lamptey at Brighton is some player. Tearing Newcastle apart this half from right back. Wonder why chelsea let him go permanently?

Post #516088  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:52 pm 

Sperz off to a quick start. Son has been underrated. If he was as effective for a bigger club he'd be much more highly regarded. And I'll throw this out there. If he weren't Asian. A region not known for producing top footballers. People think he's a fine player. But you never hear his name mentioned among the PL's best.

I always worry when he's on the pitch against us. I also wonder why he hasn't attracted the attention of big clubs.

Post #516089  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:42 pm 

It will be interesting to see what kind of side we put out at Leicester. I'm not expecting a win actually. I've never seen us win the league cup. It would be nice just so I can see it done by us everyone else it seems has seen it in their lifetimes.

Post #516090  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:48 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Sperz off to a quick start. Son has been underrated. If he was as effective for a bigger club he'd be much more highly regarded. And I'll throw this out there. If he weren't Asian. A region not known for producing top footballers. People think he's a fine player. But you never hear his name mentioned among the PL's best.

I always worry when he's on the pitch against us. I also wonder why he hasn't attracted the attention of big clubs.

If RM is looking for the next Ronaldo in terms of merchandising and advertising revenue, Son could well be that player. Potentially the next Nakata.

Post #516091  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:51 pm 

Brighton number 8 sent off. Vardy on Mustafi last season should have been a red as well.

Post #516092  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:19 pm 

Christianson just rugby tackles Mané when Mané would have been through on the GK, was given a yellow but upgraded to a red by VAR - ref reviewing the pitchside monitor. Absolutely correct decision for me.

Post #516093  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:53 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Brighton number 8 sent off. Vardy on Mustafi last season should have been a red as well.

Consistency is not always a good thing though. Otherwise Gabriel would have conceded a penalty for handball.

Post #516094  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:53 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I said to manage expectations and was proven right. We won't be a fully settled squad till a few more months. If that.

How does he do it?

Pity poor sods like me who didn't manage expectations and were lulled into thinking we'd win both of our opening matches!

Post #516095  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:29 pm 

Decaf wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

How does he do it?

Pity poor sods like me who didn't manage expectations and were lulled into thinking we'd win both of our opening matches!

:42laughter:

Post #516096  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:15 pm 

Good result yesterday, but poor performance - still lots of question mark regarding our ability to control games against weaker opposition. A few additions might help, but I think we also need to find ways as a tram to break these sides down. The team we put out yesterday should've been able to produce much more going forward.

The squad is very unbalanced at the moment, with too many defenders and not enough midfielders. I don't mind Elneny as a squad option, but he's too close to the starting eleven right now. Say we sign Aouar and Partey - that would make Elneny slot in a more natural squad position considering his quality.

Post #516097  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:13 pm 

Rich wrote:
Lamptey at Brighton is some player. Tearing Newcastle apart this half from right back. Wonder why chelsea let him go permanently?

He wouldn’t sign a new deal as they had Daniel James in front of him, so they let him go. I watched him play and thought please learn the lessons from Bellerin and do the work now to stave off a serious knee injury as he’s all-action and rapid! Brighton look so well balanced as a team, we’ve got arguably better game breakers, but no way near as well balanced. Leicester too, they look like a mini Man City, Harvey Barnes really eye catching player.

Post #516098  Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:19 pm 

Goonie wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

If RM is looking for the next Ronaldo in terms of merchandising and advertising revenue, Son could well be that player. Potentially the next Nakata.

He’s a great player. He should buy that Southampton defence a drink though, I hope they play that high line against Aubameyang! I think Hassenhutl has got them watching Bayern Munich tapes but not told them they aren’t actually the European Champions!

Post #516099  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:12 am 

Goonie wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Let's be honest. RM didn't buy Becks for his talent alone. They knew they would recoup the money spent on merchandizing.
Park made a lot of money for Man Utd with shirt sales...a lot! Koreans around the world bought a ton of them. LA has the largest Korean American community in America and Park's shirt seemed like a requirement.

Also, many Koreans made the trek to OT to see matches. The club always make sure they were able to. I know a guy who went with his girlfriend.

The MLB has a few Korean players and they make money for their teams as well.

Post #516100  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:56 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Let's be honest. RM didn't buy Becks for his talent alone. They knew they would recoup the money spent on merchandizing.
Park made a lot of money for Man Utd with shirt sales...a lot! Koreans around the world bought a ton of them. LA has the largest Korean American community in America and Park's shirt seemed like a requirement.

Also, many Koreans made the trek to OT to see matches. The club always make sure they were able to. I know a guy who went with his girlfriend.

The MLB has a few Korean players and they make money for their teams as well.

Son's full market potential is wasted at Tottenham. He needs to go to a bigger club. :)
To this day you can still see people wearing Nakata's shirt in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. Similarly I think people will wear Salah's shirt for the next couple of decades after he retires where there are sizeable Liverpool-supporting Muslim communities.

Post #516101  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:02 am 

Ash wrote:
Goonie wrote:

He’s a great player. He should buy that Southampton defence a drink though, I hope they play that high line against Aubameyang! I think Hassenhutl has got them watching Bayern Munich tapes but not told them they aren’t actually the European Champions!

Before Son scored to make it 2-1, Southampton had a great chance themselves. They played quite well in the first half in fact.

Post #516102  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:53 am 

Salah is huge in the middle east. I was on lockdown in Dubai for Covid 19 and Salah's face is on a lot of advertising. LFC has a few stores. I asked someone about Elneny and they were like 'meh'.

City has a following but not as big as one may think because of politics. Qatar not as liked in the area these days. Salah is huge though, very, very huge.

Post #516103  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:12 am 

Goonie wrote:
Ash wrote:

Before Son scored to make it 2-1, Southampton had a great chance themselves. They played quite well in the first half in fact.

Nevertheless, Spurs may be a handful this season :20hospitals:

Post #516104  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:28 am 

Decaf wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Is that the same handful Mourinho has when he looks at himself in the mirror?

Post #516105  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:21 pm 

Palace make a £19m bid with £6m add ons for Liverpool's Rhian Brewster. What is it with prem clubs that they want to chuck tonnes of money at Liverpool youngsters or reserves. Palace already paid Liverpool £60m for Benteke and Sakho, you'd have thought they'd have learnt their lesson

Post #516106  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:30 pm 

Goonie wrote:

I'm amazed Madrid, Barca, PSG haven't made a move for Son over the past few years. I rate him far higher than Kane. He has amazing pace, great finishing and can play in a number of positions. I'm also surprised City or Man U haven't made a move for him as well. I'd put him in the top 10 players in the prem easily

Post #516107  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:35 pm 

Apparently Chelsea are looking at Guendouzi and Arsenal might be exploring the possibility of a swap deal. Supposedly immediately rebuffed when asking for Kante. Hudson-Odoi and Rubens Loftus-Cheek mentioned.
Both are interesting players who would meet home grown quotas and fit a profile of a more athletic, physical and pacey player. Hudson-Odoi was being chased by Bayern 12 months ago. Right wing isn't really a position we need to recruit in though. Loftus-Cheek, a player who's career is stagnating, but has plenty of talent.

I'd rather take straight cash for Guendouzi but perhaps there is a swap with cash that can be done?

Post #516108  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:37 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Goonie wrote:

A front 3 of Bale, Son, Kane is very good. Especially against team naive enough to play a high line and let Kane drop deep and feed acres of space for the other two to run on to. However, the rest of the team is nowhere near top 4 quality.

Post #516109  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:40 pm 

Rich wrote:
Apparently Chelsea are looking at Guendouzi and Arsenal might be exploring the possibility of a swap deal. Supposedly immediately rebuffed when asking for Kante. Hudson-Odoi and Rubens Loftus-Cheek mentioned.
Both are interesting players who would meet home grown quotas and fit a profile of a more athletic, physical and pacey player. Hudson-Odoi was being chased by Bayern 12 months ago. Right wing isn't really a position we need to recruit in though. Loftus-Cheek, a player who's career is stagnating, but has plenty of talent.

I'd rather take straight cash for Guendouzi but perhaps there is a swap with cash that can be done?

Time to bring Giroud home.

It won’t be Hudson surely, overloaded on both flanks the last position we need. Loftus-Cheek probably the only logical option from that list

Post #516110  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:52 pm 

Liverpool (and City) are at the level they are Barca or RM esque in that just to get on their books you are among the best in your age group.

I imagine that the thinking is that they have players on their books who are first team prem quality or on the cusp of but they are not going to move Mané, van Dijk, or Salah out the way.

Post #516111  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:29 pm 

If it wasn't for his massive wages (£120k for a 19-year old is bonkers) I'd take Hudson-Odoi in a heartbeat. Kid is a real talent.

I was a little impressed with Chelsea last year, when they pretended for a minute that they'd try building around their numerous talented youth products. Before they were allowed to sign players again and bought every attacking player they could find.

Post #516112  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:13 pm 

How can the clubs simply just crack on signing really expensive players even if they know they will have empty stadiums for the foreseeable future ? It must account for a 3rd of their revenue. Not sure how that’s possible.

Post #516113  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:51 pm 

Rich wrote:

Cash only, no swaps for players we don't want I'd say.

Post #516114  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:49 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Cash only, no swaps for players we don't want I'd say.

It’s not a cash market right now though. It’s nearly all swaps and loans. Chelsea have spent a fortune and swapping doozy for a homegrown Chelsea player makes sense even if it’s Hudson or loftus cheek.

I also believe we have problems with our homegrown quota. We’ve just sold Martinez who counted as homegrown and signed a non homegrown replacement

Post #516115  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:05 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Just watched the highlights. I hadn’t noticed during the game. Both of our goals were initiated by a killer pass from Saka. Almost Bergkamp like.
The boy has it. A star soon.

Post #516116  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:45 pm 

Ah Martinez has just saved a penalty

5.4.3.2.1....... go

Post #516117  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:53 pm 

Weirdest move in the transfer window yet is Morata getting another potentially expensive move. €9m loan to Juventus, with option to buy for €45m. Went to Juventus from Real Madrid for €20m, then back to Real for €30. Then moved to Chelsea for £60, and then on loan to Atletico who then signed him permanently for £58m. Since that first season in Juventus he has scored an average of 15 goals per season. In all competitions.

Post #516118  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:56 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Weirdest move in the transfer window yet is Morata getting another potentially expensive move. €9m loan to Juventus, with option to buy for €45m. Went to Juventus from Real Madrid for €20m, then back to Real for €30. Then moved to Chelsea for £60, and then on loan to Atletico who then signed him permanently for £58m. Since that first season in Juventus he has scored an average of 15 goals per season. In all competitions.

Surely the agents giving people brown envelopes. How can you explain that

Post #516119  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:02 pm 

That new Icelandic kid is going to punch one in his own net on Wednesday isn’t he :laughing7: then the cycle will be complete

Go on Alex give the people what they want.

Post #516120  Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:20 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ah Martinez has just saved a penalty

5.4.3.2.1....... go

He will get Villa the famed 10 points a season a great GK is supposed to earn for his team.

On a related note, Douglas Luiz could be another Brazilian we want in our team - think he will continue to get better.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12900, 12901, 12902, 12903, 12904, 12905, 12906 ... 14269  Next