Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, warrior and 100 guests

Post #516001  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:46 am 

God I hope so much that we give Mustafi a new contract. The reaction of Mr Iamanobsessive would be absolutely hilarious.

Post #516002  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:49 am 

Bernard wrote:
God I hope so much that we give Mustafi a new contract. The reaction of Mr Iamanobsessive would be hilarious.

How long has he got left on his current contract?

Post #516003  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:29 pm 

Decaf wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
If it were the former then you’d know about it. It would be obvious to all.

Actions speak louder than words. Or, in this case, inaction.

But are we actually a badly run club at the moment, or are demonstrating a willingness to invest in players and let MA build something without too much flak from the bean counters?

And if so, what evidence is there that this is despite rather than because of Kreonke?

Does it matter that he doesn't froth at the mouth and emote? Does it have to be obvious?

I haven't been paying attention so I am just asking ... :laughing7:

Both of you! Stop ruining my jokes! I was just doubling up in a less funny way what McQuilkie said!!

Post #516004  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:37 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Feels like a jigsaw puzzle being carefully assembled. And not too many pieces missing now either.

Indeed, well certainly on paper if we can get 1/2 top class central mids in we'll have a pretty well balanced and talented squad. The next steps are to get that squad back in the top 4, then challenging for the title. We're realistically a few years away from the later even with our most optimistic spectacles on - by which time we will have needed to plan for the next succession and turnover in the squad.

It is something I have wondered about where Liverpool go soon, their front 3 are all 29, just signed a 29 year old Thiago, van dijk, henderson and a few other dependables are nudging that age bracket. For them it means they're all at their peak, but as we know with the invincibles it can slip away very quickly if you haven't got the replacements and quality lined up.

For our team and looking 5 years on from now I'd hope we still have a good core of Leno, Gabriel, Saliba, Tierney, Saka, Martinelli, AMN, Pépé. And assuming they stay, the likes of Bellerin, Xhaka take on the 30 year old veteran positions and the cycle turns over again

Post #516005  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:05 pm 

tomc wrote:
Bernard wrote:
God I hope so much that we give Mustafi a new contract. The reaction of Mr Iamanobsessive would be hilarious.

How long has he got left on his current contract?

Until 30.06.2021

Post #516006  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:18 pm 

Ash wrote:
Decaf wrote:
But are we actually a badly run club at the moment, or are demonstrating a willingness to invest in players and let MA build something without too much flak from the bean counters?

And if so, what evidence is there that this is despite rather than because of Kreonke?

Does it matter that he doesn't froth at the mouth and emote? Does it have to be obvious?

Both of you! Stop ruining my jokes! I was just doubling up in a less funny way what McQuilkie said!!

I wouldn't worry about it, Ash. Some people just aren't natural-born comedians like we are.

Post #516007  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:25 pm 

Ash wrote:
Decaf wrote:

AG is generally about 6 months behind the curve and reliably wrong ... so I was wondering if there is some hope re Kroenke ...

Post #516008  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:39 pm 

Ash wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Ah. Whoosh. Straight over my head wasn’t it?

I will try harder.

Post #516009  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:24 pm 

It will be interesting who we start out with in central defense and who we end up with as starters at seasons end. Assuming everyone healthy.

Read Tim Sherwood poo pooing signings and players, but not unexpected from a sperz man. If we make no more signings, we should be a top 6 club again. We get the two signings in the midfield we want and we are knocking on top 4 for this season.

We may not get there this season but I would expect it next season. One never knows what will happen with injuries, who the competition buys, their injuries or not, break out players, etc.

Look as Luiz is going to be Gabriel's mentor in terms of getting adjusted. Willian as well socially but Luiz in terms of playing the position in the league. What to look for. The differences between the EPL and ligue un.
Probably will play Mustafi's video and say 'Do the opposite' :42laughter:

I'm sure gooners are expecting 3 points tomorrow and anything less is unacceptable. Just the vibe I see among forums. I am trying to manage my expectations but it is difficult not to be optimistic if not excited about this season. The Liverpool match is too early to say either way. Our first big test but we shouldn't make anything out of a win if we get it or a loss, unless either is a scoreline way out of the norm.

Post #516010  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:40 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Read Tim Sherwood poo pooing signings and players, but not unexpected from a sperz man.

Sherwood was an Arsenal fan growing up

Post #516011  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:48 pm 

Talk of Chambers attracting interest from Fulham and Leeds. With the signings of Gabriel and Saliba and Holding being stopped going out on loan you'd have to think Chambers is surplus to requirements. Would have hoped we could generate close to £15m for him.

Lots of teams supposedly in for Torreira, hopefully someone makes a bid!

Kolasinac also generating interest from Germany and Sokratis was supposed to be close to Napoli.

I feel like all this could run right to the last week or day of the window. If we got Chambers £15m, Torreira £25m, Kolasinac £10m, Sokratis £5m, Balugon £5m and add it to the £20m for Martinez there is a £80m pot of money. But if all that only happens in the last days of the window it makes it difficult for us to get the players in we want, especially as the clubs we buy from will want replacements. All very complicated but exciting.

Post #516012  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:51 pm 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Read Tim Sherwood poo pooing signings and players, but not unexpected from a sperz man.

Yeah and Kane was on our books and O'Leary played the most games ever for us and both of them aren't Arsenal fans. I hear ya, but no one would mistake him for a gooner today. Seems a matter 'that was then, this is now'.

I've seen him take subtle (and not so subtle) shots at us for a while. He's played for the scum and managed them. He's no longer a gooner.

Post #516013  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:57 pm 

A lot of 'ifs' in Rich's post about sales of players but the players mentioned have solid interests in them. However, teams know we are trying to raise funds and on a time constraint so expect some haggling and tough negotiating on a couple players.
That said, for the price banded about, they should sell eventually in the window.

Post #516014  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:02 pm 

Lockdown number 2 coming folks, remember to stock up on crisps and lager.

Great time to get rid of public health England, government are doing an amazing job

Post #516015  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:12 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Yeah and Kane was on our books and O'Leary played the most games ever for us and both of them aren't Arsenal fans. I hear ya, but no one would mistake him for a gooner today. Seems a matter 'that was then, this is now'.

I've seen him take subtle (and not so subtle) shots at us for a while. He's played for the scum and managed them. He's no longer a gooner.

You may find this interesting from 2015.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... od-5750893

Post #516016  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:38 pm 

The person who said this is not an Arsenal fan.
https://www.the-sun.com/sport/1494115/d ... -sherwood/

...and its one of many shots I've read over the years. You'd never know he grew up a fan hearing his Arsenal related commentary since I've been a fan. lol

With 'fans' like this, who needs enemies. I've yet to find an independent pundit who hasn't spoken of us improving and being better and saying Aubameyang signing is crucial to our success, etc.

Post #516017  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:53 pm 

Rich wrote:

You’re correct Rich. Sherwood supported Arsenal as a kid. Both clubs are so close together with their local fans living in the same areas that it’s inevitable Arsenal fans as kids will end up playing for Tottenham, and vice versa. It’s inevitable that Tottenham fans as kids will end up playing for Arsenal, at whatever level. Surely what is Arsenal’s most famous ever goal, the injury time title winner at Anfield in 1989, was scored by a Tottenham fan. Michael Thomas has never hidden the fact he supported Tottenham as a kid.

What Sherwood says in the interview I’ve given the link to is perfectly reasonable.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hitc.c ... don/%3Famp

Post #516018  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:21 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Great time to get rid of public health England, government are doing an amazing job

Not sure I understand your post?

Post #516019  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:00 am 

The loan deal is a canny move for the scum. Injury record aside he's a top quality player. I didn't think he would make it at RM. Thought he'd fail miserably initially and proved me wrong. The honeymoon is obviously over but he's a great player. The shirt sales alone will be a big boost. Gotta be a big buzz going around the club.

I'm hoping Mourinho reverts to recent type and mucks it all up.

Post #516020  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:19 am 

I'm hoping Beckham's Inter Miami team does well. I used to hate Becks simply because he was a player for Man Utd but I've changed that opinion of him over time. Hopefully, signing Higuain will be a good move.

PS: I don't like the MLS imitating world football clubs with FC, United, Inter, etc. develop your own identity.

Post #516021  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:10 am 

At the 7th minute or so he says 'the owner hasn't put any money in the club in the last 5 years'.

Post #516022  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:32 am 

Reading through the comments of the video, Sherwood is getting it hard. LOL

Post #516023  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:14 am 

Sherwood is speaking like someone who didn't watch Arsenal once last season

Onyi Ernest
1 day ago
She's on point with her view on football. I like how she structured how Arteta is taking the arsenal team forward. Tim is a mug with with no morals. A hater about arsenal I get it a banter vs rivalry's but u shuold not bias when it come to Arsenal try n be fair as a pundit.

Se how she put u to shame and that's lame.

Remember u were a sh*t manager and I guess u re mad and jealous. Get use to and watch arsenal dominate football slowly. No bragging just a secret.

Sherwood what a muppet can't hide his disdain for the Arsenal...He'll still be like that if we win the the
title.

She made sherwood look a right spud!!

Bloody hell Tim Sherwood is a mug. Man don't clearly love Arsenal

Tim do you even watch football. You made yourself look like a clown sayinig Aubameyang couldn't walk into another
club in the Premier league lol are you mad then to say Arteta has been bang average you say this yet
you have been sacked everywhere you have been but tbh I don't expect you to know anything about big
players or clubs because you have never been at a big club you sound jealous lay your head down because
your smoking to much crack

Tim why z man doing this he clearly hates arsenal dayymmm

Post #516024  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:27 am 

Good grief. The bloke has serious issues, and I don’t mean Sherwood. Mr Iamanobsessive surely must require some sort of treatment?

Post #516025  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:52 am 

Bale won’t be fit for spurs for 4 weeks. His injury record is awful and a huge risk for spurs.

Post #516026  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:00 am 

I really hope Arteta can mend ways with Özil. Especially if no Aouar. Even if so, another great option. The big disappointment for me is Martinelli not being available for as long as he's reported to be out. I'm really excited about him and think he'll be very, very big for us.

But for now, Partey or someone of that type is essential for me. We really don't have anyone like that. Elneny, Xhaka don't even come close. Torreira and Guendouzi at their best is near the same post code but that's it.

Post #516027  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:26 am 

Rich wrote:
Bale won’t be fit for spurs for 4 weeks. His injury record is awful and a huge risk for spurs.

Good - let us hope he fails to meet ever expectation. I am starting to think Maureen can only coach for a Drogba position. Bale is not that. And I hope they totally implode. Maureen being too expensive to dismiss, a squad quickly getting old and fans demanding. All or nothing I suppose.

Post #516028  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:52 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Ash wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it, Ash. Some people just aren't natural-born comedians like we are.

So true. I often have people tell me I’m a natural born clown.

Post #516029  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:07 am 

Rich wrote:

When he's fit he's a game changer. With our luck he'll be ready for one of the derbies with us. I hope your doubtfulness about his loan working out comes to fruition.

I worry about everything unfortunately.

Post #516030  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:08 am 

...which brings up my annual wait for all clubs (but especially Liverpool and City) to lose a match.

Post #516031  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:10 am 

...and a question that would be interesting if debated is which will likely to be equaled first, the treble or unbeaten in a season?

Post #516032  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:01 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The person who said this is not an Arsenal fan.
https://www.the-sun.com/sport/1494115/d ... -sherwood/

...and its one of many shots I've read over the years. You'd never know he grew up a fan hearing his Arsenal related commentary since I've been a fan. lol

With 'fans' like this, who needs enemies. I've yet to find an independent pundit who hasn't spoken of us improving and being better and saying Aubameyang signing is crucial to our success, etc.

He has a point about Ceballos, although hopefully he will prove to be wrong. Isn't Sherwood just trying to be objective and NOT fall into the fanboy trap?

In any case your logic for diagnosing fanhood is poor: fans are often their teams biggest critics. Or should we take it from your negative posts about Mustafi and many others assocated with the club that "the person who said this is not an Arsenal fan"?

Post #516033  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:06 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Sampling as well as stocking up on the lager, would be my guess.

Post #516034  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:42 pm 

Decaf wrote:
In any case your logic for diagnosing fanhood is poor: fans are often their teams biggest critics. Or should we take it from your negative posts about Mustafi and many others assocated with the club that "the person who said this is not an Arsenal fan"?

Are you already blocked? Because if you’re not, you soon will be.

Post #516035  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:58 pm 

Rich wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Feels like a jigsaw puzzle being carefully assembled. And not too many pieces missing now either.

Indeed, well certainly on paper if we can get 1/2 top class central mids in we'll have a pretty well balanced and talented squad. The next steps are to get that squad back in the top 4, then challenging for the title. We're realistically a few years away from the later even with our most optimistic spectacles on - by which time we will have needed to plan for the next succession and turnover in the squad.

It is something I have wondered about where Liverpool go soon, their front 3 are all 29, just signed a 29 year old Thiago, van dijk, henderson and a few other dependables are nudging that age bracket. For them it means they're all at their peak, but as we know with the invincibles it can slip away very quickly if you haven't got the replacements and quality lined up.

For our team and looking 5 years on from now I'd hope we still have a good core of Leno, Gabriel, Saliba, Tierney, Saka, Martinelli, AMN, Pépé. And assuming they stay, the likes of Bellerin, Xhaka take on the 30 year old veteran positions and the cycle turns over again

Like you, I would not be surprised if Liverpool didn't manage to keep it up this season. Apart from any issues with the squad, the sheer emotional intensity of two such momentous seasons may well take its toll. Liverpool were actually better in 2018/19 than last season. They just encountered a brick wall in the shape of a pretty much invincible City that year. Last season they were excellent but they won so easily because the rest of the top four was out to lunch.

City on the other hand will be raring to go. If things fall into place for them there will be little anyone can do about it. However, you never can tell.

I'm not too sure about the 'realistically we are a few years away' story. I think we are just as likely to win it in 2021 or 2022 as later. One year the stars will align, as they did in '89 and '98.

Post #516036  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:12 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

One is a popular beverage and the other is a salty potato snack. Both very popular in the UK

Not sure whats Difficult to understand

Post #516037  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:41 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

One is a popular beverage and the other is a salty potato snack. Both very popular in the UK

Not sure whats Difficult to understand

The first sentence is model of clarity.

Post #516038  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:55 pm 

It's all water under the bridge now and speculation but I wonder how we would have done had Arteta taken over the reigns immediately after Wenger?

In any event here we are. Lets see what happens.

Post #516039  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:06 pm 

United 2-0 down to Palace. Both goals scored by Zaha.

Post #516040  Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:17 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
United 2-0 down to Palace. Both goals scored by Zaha.

1:3 now. Zaha again. They deserve it. They could’ve had a few more on the break. Man U pedestrian

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12898, 12899, 12900, 12901, 12902, 12903, 12904 ... 14269  Next