Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 90 guests

Post #515961  Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:39 am 

Joining in the happy chorus for Aubameyang extending his contract! :5encouragement: :26encouragement: :6encouragement:

:21encouragement:

:22encouragement:

Post #515962  Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:14 am 

DHD wrote:
£400,000 per week.

Expect Özil to be banging on MA's door.....

Attachment:

Post #515963  Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:59 am 

warrior wrote:
DHD wrote:
£400,000 per week.

Expect Özil to be banging on MA's door.....

Attachment:
giphy-downsized-medium.gif

You’re looking well though, and keeping up the smart attire even in the house :58big-emoticons:

Post #515964  Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:01 am 

Martinez sold,

Candlelit vigil at 5pm today folks with everyone playing their part. Feels like the loss of a family member

Post #515965  Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:28 am 

Looks like the Martinez fee is £20m plus add ons. I'd have liked higher but in a covid market and for a GK who has more games for the U23 than the first team it is a very good price considering what Martinez would have been worth only 4 months ago.
I think it is a good deal for Villa as well, his limited first 11 exposure is their biggest risk.

I can't think of many clubs selling their reserve GK for £20m+

Post #515966  Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:31 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
You would assume that Aubameyang was given guarantees about signings before he signed his deal so I hope we see a couple more topclass players come in. However, with Kroenke in charge who knows, we might have to make do and mend again.

Morning socrates. A few others have said that he would have received assurances about future signings being made. I wish I was convinced as the rest of you. Surely the club can’t guarantee named signings. How can they promise they’ll sign, say Partey? Another club, and maybe a bigger one, could come in for him and offer him more money. My guess is that all Arsenal could do is assure him that they hope or intend strengthening the team across whatever positions. But that’s not a promise they will.

Yeah, I doubt they can say we will be signing X player. Probably more we'll have X money and will be using it to strengthen the team, or potentially not even as specific as that, it might be Aubameyang has just been convinced by Arteta's plans and ambition for the team. Beating Liverpool twice, City and Chelsea to win the FA Cup can't have done any harm in having him believe in those ambitions.
Martinez, Torreira and Kolasinac or Balogun or Sokratis will pay for Partey

Post #515967  Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:16 pm 

Question for the esteemed forum. I was discussing music recently with other Americans and British music came up. There was a trend (maybe still is) of something called 'mockney'. As you may already know, non Londoners non east enders, working class putting on an cockney accent.

It was said that some bands or singers did that. I love this song but we couldn't decide is this was an example of a 'mockney' accent. The guy is a Brummie if I'm not mistaken.

Post #515968  Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:28 pm 

Cengiz Under close to signing for Leicester from Roma for £25m. This guy was wanted by a lot of big clubs not so long ago. Fee of up to £40m mentioned.

Spurs signing left-back Reguilon from Real Madrid for £25m and having to put a buy back clause for Madrid in the deal. Reguilon was voted the best left back in Spain last year. Spurs also trying to get Gareth Bale back from Madrid. Madrid want him gone but his £650k a week wages are a problem! Madrid could pay 50% of those wages and let Bale leave on loan, and possibly take Dele Alli on loan the other way.

Potentially two good moves for Spurs, but then they still have Mourinho as manager so its ok

Post #515969  Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:32 pm 

Chuba Akpom is about to sign for Middlesbrough, Arsenal have a 40% sell on clause which could bring in £1-1.5m depending on the final fee. Every little helps! Put in in the drawer marked New Central Midfielder

Post #515970  Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:33 pm 

Rich wrote:
Every little helps!

Are you a Tesco shopper Rich?

Post #515971  Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:35 pm 

Seems to be quite a bit of interest in Kolasinac from Germany and Roma. £10m seems to be the price which I'd be very happy with. Ive also seen reports saying the player wants to 'stay and fight for his place'. Which when you consider his place is behind Tierney, AMN, Saka at left back or left wing back, and also behind Gabriel, Mari, Tierney, Holding for the left centre back role, it really means I want to stay and pick up my nice big wage.

I'd hope Arteta is just clear that Kolasinac is way down the list for his two preferred positions and he simply won't get any game time this season. If he wants to play regular football then we'll happily let him seal a transfer.

Post #515972  Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:32 pm 

Rich wrote:
Cengiz Under close to signing for Leicester from Roma for £25m. This guy was wanted by a lot of big clubs not so long ago. Fee of up to £40m mentioned.

Spurs signing left-back Reguilon from Real Madrid for £25m and having to put a buy back clause for Madrid in the deal. Reguilon was voted the best left back in Spain last year. Spurs also trying to get Gareth Bale back from Madrid. Madrid want him gone but his £650k a week wages are a problem! Madrid could pay 50% of those wages and let Bale leave on loan, and possibly take Dele Alli on loan the other way.

Potentially two good moves for Spurs, but then they still have Mourinho as manager so its ok

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54180786

Quote:
Eric Dier says Tottenham's packed schedule is a danger to player welfare as they face the possibility of nine matches in 21 days.

Spurs are in Bulgaria for the Europa League and could play every Tuesday and Thursday for the next three weeks if they also progress in the Carabao Cup.

"If you look at that schedule, it isn't showing any care for players' physical welfare," Dier said.

Spurs are facing four matches over an eight-day period coming up.

After facing Lokomotiv Plovdiv on Thursday, Jose Mourinho's side play Southampton on Sunday, Leyton Orient on Tuesday and then a likely trip to either Macedonia or Romania next week

:1laughter: I’m heartbroken for the Spuds here. Plovdiv sounds made up! :1laughter:

Post #515973  Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:46 pm 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:

Quote:
Eric Dier says Tottenham's packed schedule is a danger to player welfare as they face the possibility of nine matches in 21 days.

Spurs are in Bulgaria for the Europa League and could play every Tuesday and Thursday for the next three weeks if they also progress in the Carabao Cup.

"If you look at that schedule, it isn't showing any care for players' physical welfare," Dier said.

Spurs are facing four matches over an eight-day period coming up.

After facing Lokomotiv Plovdiv on Thursday, Jose Mourinho's side play Southampton on Sunday, Leyton Orient on Tuesday and then a likely trip to either Macedonia or Romania next week

:1laughter: I’m heartbroken for the Spuds here. Plovdiv sounds made up! :1laughter:

Yes tough one Eric. No one has ever suffered such deprivations before. I bet in those old mining towns in the UK the old fellas are starting a fund me page. Imagine going down in a pit 6 days a week with your life in danger for a pittance compared to what Eric is paid. Harden up Eric.

Post #515974  Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:02 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Ash wrote:

Yes tough one Eric. No one has ever suffered such deprivations before. I bet in those old mining towns in the UK the old fellas are starting a fund me page. Imagine going down in a pit 6 days a week with your life in danger for a pittance compared to what Eric is paid. Harden up Eric.

I wonder if the International Labour Organisation has been informed of this scandalous violation of the rights and dignity of the working man down at the Lane? Surely they would act? Or are they too busy faffing around with trifles like child labour and human trafficking?

Post #515975  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:12 am 

Rich wrote:
Chuba Akpom is about to sign for Middlesbrough, Arsenal have a 40% sell on clause which could bring in £1-1.5m depending on the final fee. Every little helps! Put in in the drawer marked New Central Midfielder

Gosh, I've forgotten we have (had) Akpom in our ranks. Another Wenger project going away.

Post #515976  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:15 am 

Rich wrote:
Seems to be quite a bit of interest in Kolasinac from Germany and Roma. £10m seems to be the price which I'd be very happy with. Ive also seen reports saying the player wants to 'stay and fight for his place'. Which when you consider his place is behind Tierney, AMN, Saka at left back or left wing back, and also behind Gabriel, Mari, Tierney, Holding for the left centre back role, it really means I want to stay and pick up my nice big wage.

I'd hope Arteta is just clear that Kolasinac is way down the list for his two preferred positions and he simply won't get any game time this season. If he wants to play regular football then we'll happily let him seal a transfer.

I think he is just keen on staying in London with his pal Özil. Picking up a good wage without having to play helps too. I was concerned with a report (hope not true) that Arteta is considering to keep him in the squad. Kola used to do it for us with his marauding runs and quick forward plays. But he has reverted to an Ozil-like, slow and contemplative style.

Post #515977  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:29 am 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I wonder if the International Labour Organisation has been informed of this scandalous violation of the rights and dignity of the working man down at the Lane? Surely they would act? Or are they too busy faffing around with trifles like child labour and human trafficking?

There may very well be support on these pages to make this a project to assist our neighbours. I will look up the UN numbers and try and get a plan together.

The absolute hilarious part of it is that they were swinging from the rafters before the F A Cup final and then the result put them deep in it.

Post #515978  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:38 am 

Deal for the Icelandic goalkeeper done, according to RMC who are usually very reliable with the French league. Very cheap backup to Leno, it's clear we're going to focus our money on midfield signings.

Post #515979  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:10 pm 

socrates wrote:
You would assume that Aubameyang was given guarantees about signings before he signed his deal so I hope we see a couple more topclass players come in. However, with Kroenke in charge who knows, we might have to make do and mend again.

Correct. As club captain his relationship with M.A. is very close and he contributes to oppo research and match strategy. He was not necessarily guaranteed top signings , but rather a 3 year plan to get the club to where it belongs. The plan involves taking the risk now( instead of waiting to spend only after a probable top 4 finish ) and spending the money to strengthen the squad , work on the pitch and challenging. I am sure the strong finish last season , 2 trophies and the way we have recruited so far was enough.

We also have personal terms agreed with Aouar for a contract till 2025 about 2 weeks ago. Agent and player are happy. Club and player camp agreed it is time to move on provided the buying club and Lyon agree. Now both Arsenal and Lyon have to agree a fee.

Post #515980  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:35 pm 

Every trophy we have won since Stan took over was in spite of him not because of him.

Post #515981  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:38 pm 

My guess is Aubameyang has seen the club transform since Arteta took over. He's comfortable, well loved and liked, and we look on the cusp of winning things. He knows what it feels like to lift a trophy in an Arsenal kit and sees more to come.
Rather than risk going somewhere and possibly not being able to fit in and do well, he has a big club already where he is central to the attack. And I hope he sees himself as ending his career a club legend.

Post #515982  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:49 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Deal for the Icelandic goalkeeper done, according to RMC who are usually very reliable with the French league. Very cheap backup to Leno, it's clear we're going to focus our money on midfield signings.

You wonder what games he will start? league cup? FA cup? Europa? That is still a lot of games and given he is a No. 2 for Dijon this year you'd have to question if he's ready. It is a risk if Leno breaks down. Hopefully he turns out to be mustard for us

Post #515983  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:50 pm 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/gareth- ... eler/39381

That is an awful lot of injuries for Bale, especially considering how few games he plays.

Post #515984  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:54 pm 

Not sure who has watched the Spurs documentary on amazon, typically it is all about Jose, he is a showman, has charisma and the camera is always on him. However, I thought his conversation with Danny Rose (if you've seen it) was interesting, Rose more than held his own and in the end Jose seemed a bit sheepish.
Also the one guy who comes across very staged, almost David Brent like is Daniel Levy. There is just something about him in it all. Fawning at Mourinho's every move, seemingly unable to connect or have respect from the players, and always a bit awkward in how he talks to people. No doubt he's a successful businessman but there is something odd about him in the documentary

Post #515985  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:54 pm 

Leon Gontran wrote:
socrates wrote:

Correct. As club captain his relationship with M.A. is very close and he contributes to oppo research and match strategy. He was not necessarily guaranteed top signings , but rather a 3 year plan to get the club to where it belongs. The plan involves taking the risk now( instead of waiting to spend only after a probable top 4 finish ) and spending the money to strengthen the squad , work on the pitch and challenging. I am sure the strong finish last season , 2 trophies and the way we have recruited so far was enough.

We also have personal terms agreed with Aouar for a contract till 2025 about 2 weeks ago. Agent and player are happy. Club and player camp agreed it is time to move on provided the buying club and Lyon agree. Now both Arsenal and Lyon have to agree a fee.

Hi Leon,

That's interesting.

Are we looking at Partey as well or has that ship sailed, or is it one or the other (if any).

Post #515986  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:30 pm 

My fear is that Arteta may think he doesn't need Partey since Elneny is playing well. I'm not saying Elneny is a bad player, but Partey seems obviously much better. Elneny as back up, for cups or whatever.

Post #515987  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:54 pm 

Arsenal are still interested in Raya the GK from Brentford despite seemingly close to the Icelandic chap for £1.5m. Arsenal lodged a £10m bid, brentford rejected it but may accept if they can keep him on loan for this season.

If he is a genuine target then it would be good to secure him for £10m, loan him back to Brentford and delay the £10m payment until next year. His age (25) and homegrown status are big factors as is the fact we have the ex Brentford GK coach.

Post #515988  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:55 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Every trophy we have won since Stan took over was in spite of him not because of him.

Really? I never knew you held that opinion. Please tell us more, mentioning in detail the American sporting teams in which he has a financial interest.

Post #515989  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:44 pm 

I imagine these are the types of videos Rich watches while I'm watching Netflix. :58big-emoticons: (meant as a compliment)

Post #515990  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:49 pm 

Spurs were 10 minutes from elimination in Bulgaria in the first qualifying round of Europa. Plovdiv had two men sent off and spurs have scored 2. I think it’s good that they stay in, keep the fixture congestion for them. Jose was forced to field a first 11 side tonight through fear of elimination....and they’ve just about to squeak through

Post #515991  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:16 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
My fear is that Arteta may think he doesn't need Partey since Elneny is playing well. I'm not saying Elneny is a bad player, but Partey seems obviously much better. Elneny as back up, for cups or whatever.

This is far from the plan. In response to you too Socrates , Partey has been our principal focus all summer in terms of absolute priority.( scouted for ages by our now dismantled network ) He was in fact the first move. He is key in the way Arteta plans to play his 433. Our current 343 with wing backs has proven its tests against the big sides. Arteta needs the personnel to play 433. The key in this formation is the midfield 3. It should consist of 2 central midfielders and 1 offensive midfielder. This is where it gets detailed. The combination of Xhaka and Ceballos has everything but lacking stature/ power/ energy/athleticism to cover ground and dominate a midfield. This is where our interest in Partey rests. Xhaka is first of the trio. Arteta likes his ability to create the tempo and dictate from deep. Then he needs to be paired with an energetic player who can cover ground and intercept to win balls in transition. This is Partey. ( only Niles fits that role currently , but he lacks the sheer ability to own that role. ) Then the last option of the midfield trio is the offensive / ball carrier / assist provider who can feed the front 3. This is Aouar. ( Arteta scouted 9 ( oppo research )and personal spoke to when at City)

We are going for Aouar now because we are weary of other interests and need to move quicker. Lyon need to sell to reinvest. Time is of essence here. We know their valuation and they rebuffed an offer including Douzi. Player and agent are happy to deal. Clubs need to agree.

Partey situation is an open secret. Club does not want to sell. They will be obliged only if the release clause is paid. As per Spanish the system, you pay the player and he buys it off from his club. Club wants to extend his deal but he is ready to wait for Arsenal. Personal terms are clear and been communicated to Arsenal. From Arsenal's angle he is still a key need , the problem now is getting funds together from our coffers and player sales. Mind you we have not been able to shift players due to transfer fees...the issue has been wages. They are too high for the buying clubs. Edu even mentioned this stressing about clubs calling and offering loan options etc. I know nothing about Arsenal's finance kitty , but I am sure Partey is still going on even if Aouar is secured. It is safe to say this will go down to the wire. Edu and co have managed to get very tight personal agreements with players before agreeing with clubs. ( Gabriel gave his word and held it for months despite better offers from United / Napoli etc ) Hope this one sticks too.

Post #515992  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:35 pm 

Leon Gontran wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

This is far from the plan. In response to you too Socrates , Partey has been our principal focus all summer in terms of absolute priority.( scouted for ages by our now dismantled network ) He was in fact the first move. He is key in the way Arteta plans to play his 433. Our current 343 with wing backs has proven its tests against the big sides. Arteta needs the personnel to play 433. The key in this formation is the midfield 3. It should consist of 2 central midfielders and 1 offensive midfielder. This is where it gets detailed. The combination of Xhaka and Ceballos has everything but lacking stature/ power/ energy/athleticism to cover ground and dominate a midfield. This is where our interest in Partey rests. Xhaka is first of the trio. Arteta likes his ability to create the tempo and dictate from deep. Then he needs to be paired with an energetic player who can cover ground and intercept to win balls in transition. This is Partey. ( only Niles fits that role currently , but he lacks the sheer ability to own that role. ) Then the last option of the midfield trio is the offensive / ball carrier / assist provider who can feed the front 3. This is Aouar. ( Arteta scouted 9 ( oppo research )and personal spoke to when at City)

We are going for Aouar now because we are weary of other interests and need to move quicker. Lyon need to sell to reinvest. Time is of essence here. We know their valuation and they rebuffed an offer including Douzi. Player and agent are happy to deal. Clubs need to agree.

Partey situation is an open secret. Club does not want to sell. They will be obliged only if the release clause is paid. As per Spanish the system, you pay the player and he buys it off from his club. Club wants to extend his deal but he is ready to wait for Arsenal. Personal terms are clear and been communicated to Arsenal. From Arsenal's angle he is still a key need , the problem now is getting funds together from our coffers and player sales. Mind you we have not been able to shift players due to transfer fees...the issue has been wages. They are too high for the buying clubs. Edu even mentioned this stressing about clubs calling and offering loan options etc. I know nothing about Arsenal's finance kitty , but I am sure Partey is still going on even if Aouar is secured. It is safe to say this will go down to the wire. Edu and co have managed to get very tight personal agreements with players before agreeing with clubs. ( Gabriel gave his word and held it for months despite better offers from United / Napoli etc ) Hope this one sticks too.

Feels like a jigsaw puzzle being carefully assembled. And not too many pieces missing now either.

Post #515993  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:08 pm 

Hmm. Lincoln or Liverpool vs Leicester or Arsenal.

Mega tough draws for the early stages.

Post #515994  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:10 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Hmm. Lincoln or Liverpool vs Leicester or Arsenal.

Mega tough draws for the early stages.

Whaaaaat? Reckon we'd be OK against Lincoln though. Fingers crossed...

Post #515995  Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:16 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Really? I never knew you held that opinion. Please tell us more, mentioning in detail the American sporting teams in which he has a financial interest.

I'd like to hear whether he thinks Stan Kreonke is emotionally invested like us fans and understands English football, or if he just sees the club as an investment and will therefore remain distant and disinterested.

Post #515996  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:50 am 

Ash wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

I'd like to hear whether he thinks Stan Kreonke is emotionally invested like us fans and understands English football, or if he just sees the club as an investment and will therefore remain distant and disinterested.

If it were the former then you’d know about it. It would be obvious to all.

Actions speak louder than words. Or, in this case, inaction.

Post #515997  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:29 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Ash wrote:

If it were the former then you’d know about it. It would be obvious to all.

Actions speak louder than words. Or, in this case, inaction.

But are we actually a badly run club at the moment, or are demonstrating a willingness to invest in players and let MA build something without too much flak from the bean counters?

And if so, what evidence is there that this is despite rather than because of Kreonke?

Does it matter that he doesn't froth at the mouth and emote? Does it have to be obvious?

I haven't been paying attention so I am just asking ... :laughing7:

Post #515998  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:55 am 

Like everyone on this forum, I'd give my right arm to win the CL. The only thing that would taint it would be that Kroenke would be the owner at the time.
The crazy thing when all is said and done, and we make a resurgence he could claim to have more trophies than possibly any other owner or at the very least say he is among the top.

Post #515999  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:56 am 

I hope had Mustafi been healthy, he'd be gone. There is always the January window.

Post #516000  Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:45 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I hope had Mustafi been healthy, he'd be gone. There is always the January window.

I think I speak for most if not all on here, give it a rest will you.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12897, 12898, 12899, 12900, 12901, 12902, 12903 ... 14269  Next