Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 88 guests

Post #514881  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:20 am 

https://www.arsenal.com/news/arteta-gav ... me-arsenal

Willian officially announced.
Arteta spoke about his versatility in attacking midfield and wide areas

Post #514882  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:26 am 

A Chelsea supporting friend said if he could only win one final, he'd much rather prefer the Europa cup final against us rather than the FA cup final. I had to agree. :20hospitals:

....not that I'm not happy about the win.

Post #514883  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:31 am 

If the stories about 32 year old Willian earning 220k a week on a 3 year deal with an option for a 4th then I want to know exactly whay they are smoking over at Arsenal because I want some of it.

Willian is a very good player but you can't tell me there is not better value in the post covid market than this.

Post #514884  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:31 am 

You can debate his wages and us becoming a chelsea retirement home but when all is said and done whenever I’ve Watched chelsea he’s usually the player likely to get on the ball and make something happen.

His band the black eyed peas are pretty good too

Post #514885  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:36 am 

socrates wrote:
If the stories about 32 year old Willian earning 220k a week on a 3 year deal with an option for a 4th then I want to know exactly whay they are smoking over at Arsenal because I want some of it.

Willian is a very good player but you can't tell me there is not better value in the post covid market than this.

I read the 220 includes bonuses for winning the league and qualifying for the champions league.

If that happens I’ll gladly pay him that !,

Post #514886  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:14 am 

Some definite question marks regarding age and money, but Willian also ticks a fair amount of boxes looking at our needs. He's a class player, experienced, can deliver right away, creative, versatile, and the most important point for me is that Arteta seemingly wanted to sign him. That means he probably has a good idea about how he wants to use Willian, and I'm all for letting him build the team. Hopefully more to follow now!

Post #514887  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:14 am 

Accusation emerges Arsenal signed Willian for the wrong reasons

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... s-22520360

"But the Sky Sports pundit has questioned whether the Brazilian is actually an Arteta signing, or whether he has been snapped up for business reasons."

Post #514888  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:56 am 

bubblechris wrote:
...There has to be somthing that will break him.
Wow! The new Arsenal way...

Post #514889  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:59 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
You can debate his wages and us becoming a chelsea retirement home but when all is said and done whenever I’ve Watched chelsea he’s usually the player likely to get on the ball and make something happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEeeGMpM_Nk

Post #514890  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:32 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Wow! The new Arsenal way...

The SG forum way (a few), don't blame The Arsenal.

Post #514891  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:40 am 

Edu’s comment about “squad rebalancing” is key

I’d expect Lacazette to be sold, Willian as a cheap way of adding experience in the final third and the money to be re invested in midfield.

Could also refer to offloading some of the excess centre halves we have acquired, Sokratis, Holding or Chambers.

Post #514892  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:48 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
As long as he's physically fit and it's the manager's choice not to involve him in the squad, I don't see how the club would have a case. As far as I know, he's made himself available for selection and Arteta is the one choosing not to play him - probably rightly so, but it means Özil is fulfilling his contractual obligation.

I don't disagree with you but all legal cases are legal till someone proves they are illegal. :36angers:

A player can work to rule can an employer not do the same? put some stress into the situation. Maqke him captain of the youth team. Make him play an away game every week. Make him train till he drops. There has to be somthing that will break him.

No it’s called workplace harassment and discrimination Einstein

Post #514893  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:16 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
As long as he's physically fit and it's the manager's choice not to involve him in the squad, I don't see how the club would have a case. As far as I know, he's made himself available for selection and Arteta is the one choosing not to play him - probably rightly so, but it means Özil is fulfilling his contractual obligation.

I don't disagree with you but all legal cases are legal till someone proves they are illegal. :36angers:

A player can work to rule can an employer not do the same? put some stress into the situation. Maqke him captain of the youth team. Make him play an away game every week. Make him train till he drops. There has to be somthing that will break him.

Hi bubblechris. I suspect Hazuki is right. Özil presumably turns up for training and makes himself available for selection, even if when he played before the lockdown Arteta wasn’t satisfied with his performances.

As an employer I doubt the club would be able to make him train differently to other players, if that’s what you mean by making ‘him train till he drops.’ You also suggest making him the captain of the youth team. I don’t know but I would assume there’s a maximum age at which players are allowed to play for the youth team. If there is, he will surely be way above it. But even if there isn’t, I don’t see that breaking Özil. He will do everything he formally has to in order to get his £350k a week until the end of June next year.

Post #514894  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:08 pm 

If we're linked with a player I go and look who his agent is. Sergio Reguilon is the latest one linked and lo and behold his agent is Kia.
He's a Real Madrid left back - certainly an improvement on Kolasinac but the money should surely be invested in other areas of the team. If we don't sell AMN then we have Tierney, Saka, AMN and even Cédric can play LB and that if we sell Kolasinac and don't replace him.

Post #514895  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:38 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Yeah but his band disbanded and most retired so not sure that's what we need. :laughing7:

In seriousness I've liked him as a player to beat his man and will provide competition and backup for Pépé. just hope he can stay injury free. Can't recall too much about his final ball though which will be vital once his pace starts to go.

Post #514896  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:19 pm 

Frankly I can't wait.

Rams owner Stan Kroenke and team chief operating officer Kevin Demoff are on the list to be deposed, as well as NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and the owners of the rest of the teams in the league, including Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

The depositions are set to start in September, and wrap up four months later with the trial beginning in 2021.

If St. Louis could prove "unjust enrichment" against the Rams and the NFL, they could come away with more than $2 billion. That's the difference between the Rams' value now, and the Rams' value in 2015 in St. Louis.

Post #514897  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:45 pm 

Emerson the chelsea left back (remember him) is meant to be going to Inter Milan for £23m. Is he actually any better than Kolasinac? It can't be that our players have extraordinarily high wages because our total wage bill is still the 5th biggest in the league.

How do other clubs manage to still get proper fees for the players they want to discard but we cant shift anyone unless it is on a free?

Post #514898  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:57 pm 

https://www.chelsea-news.co/2020/08/wil ... ol-player/

William earning more than any Liverpool player. Bizarre if true.

Post #514899  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:07 pm 

From the points Man U signed Bruno Fernandes here are some stats of Fernandes v Willian

Ignore goals scored for the moment because both took a number of penalties

Chances created: Bruno 30. Willian 29
Big chances created: Bruno 3. Willian 6
Touches in the box: Bruno 42. Willian 46

Of course football isn't just stats but worth highlighting to any Arsenal fan who might be a bit deflated by Willian's signing. Yes we can moan about age and wage - but he's still a very good player who does give us something we're missing

Post #514900  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:26 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
https://www.chelsea-news.co/2020/08/willian-now-9th-highest-paid-player-league-earning-every-liverpool-player/

It isn't, it's a bad interpretation of even worse journalism. The original article mentioning the 220k per week thing even stated that the basic wage is 100k, and 220k is the figure they arrived to after dividing the signing on fee over the length of the contract and adding potential(key word) bonuses. That figure is now being compared to other players basic wages without adding their bonuses and signing on fees.

Post #514901  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:35 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
https://www.chelsea-news.co/2020/08/willian-now-9th-highest-paid-player-league-earning-every-liverpool-player/

It isn't, it's a bad interpretation of even worse journalism. The original article mentioning the 220k per week thing even stated that the basic wage is 100k, and 220k is the figure they arrived to after dividing the signing on fee over the length of the contract and adding potential(key word) bonuses. That figure is now being compared to other players basic wages without adding their bonuses and signing on fees.

Well no doubt Kia made out pretty good as well. Just saying.

Post #514902  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:28 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

It is click bait and inflammatory journalism. Willian on a pay decrease from Chelsea doesn’t make headlines or get clicks, so let’s put his signing on fee and all his bonuses and call that his weekly wage so it rules up Arsenal fans.
I don’t mind players topping up wages with big bonuses or bonuses for winning things. If Arsenal are winning trophies then the bonuses are justified

Post #514903  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:11 pm 

Rumour going around twitter Raul Sanelhi has been sacked for making an excessive 10 million payment to Jorge Mendes for the Pépé transfer.

Interesting reports yesterday about an investigation. If true it’s never ending the problems we have off the pitch. Endless circle of different incompetent arseholes

Post #514904  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:33 pm 

Bayern tearing Barca to shreds. 4-1 in half an hour.

Post #514905  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:35 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rumour going around twitter Raul Sanelhi has been sacked for making an excessive 10 million payment to Jorge Mendes for the Pépé transfer.

Interesting reports yesterday about an investigation. If true it’s never ending the problems we have off the pitch. Endless circle of different incompetent arseholes

I had to add this in. Not my words though.

To clear up some of the nonsense being spouted regarding Arsenal- Raul Sanllehi HAS NOT been sacked. But there have been some serious allegations made regarding the number of intermediaries used for the Pépé transfer that resulted in A LOT of additional costs.

Post #514906  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:37 pm 

Zed wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I had to add this in. Not my words though.

To clear up some of the nonsense being spouted regarding Arsenal- Raul Sanllehi HAS NOT been sacked. But there have been some serious allegations made regarding the number of intermediaries used for the Pépé transfer that resulted in A LOT of additional costs.

I suppose at least Pépé is a decent player. Could have been worse and got Pal Lyderson and john Jensen

Post #514907  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:49 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:

8-2 in extra time. Barca players are now 10 a penny......

Post #514908  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:56 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Gosh 8-2 eh. I can’t IMAGINE how that must feel... :16surprise:

Post #514909  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:11 pm 

Ash wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Gosh 8-2 eh. I can’t IMAGINE how that must feel... :16surprise:

Wonder what odds an 8-2 Bayern win would have been before the game? Astonishing result, albeit one I’m absolutely delighted about.

Post #514910  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:16 pm 

2 goals and an assist for that lazy *%^@** coutinho.

Post #514911  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:21 pm 

Have to say I always enjoy watching Bayern Munich down the years, great football. Something likeable about them

( yes, yes , yes I’m aware they always smash us)

Post #514912  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:56 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Have to say I always enjoy watching Bayern Munich down the years, great football. Something likeable about them

( yes, yes , yes I’m aware they always smash us)

For me it’s the hard work and the humility (only compared to other European giants, I know they are not thought of as humble in Germany) they do their job, they’re brilliant at it, they win.

Barca are a wreck of their former selves, it was glorious to watch :42laughter: Steve McManaman called it 20 minutes in, he said it was like watching the 7-2 when Germany beat Brazil.

I don’t mind who wins it so long as not City. Maybe not Leipzig with the subverting Of the German 50+1 club ownership rules and their weird tiered feeder club system feels like a huge unfair advantage, incidentally Upamencano, who was immense again in the win against Atleti, has a a release clause activated in 2021 for €42M! That might be the GDP of the UK by then though...

Post #514913  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:01 am 

...we can't be talking about the same Bayern Munich side that outplayed Man Utd and let them have 2 goals in extra time? We can't be talking about the same Bayern Munich who let Chelsea beat them on their own grounds and enabled Chelsea to be the first London side with a European cup? Not the same one that finds enough quality to beat us though.

Surely not that Bayern Munich. F. Scott Fitzgerald. F. Murray Abraham. FBI, ...and F Bayern Munich.

Post #514914  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:08 am 

I realise it’s probably just a weak attempt to wind me up as our friend from across the Atlantic knows they’re my second favourite team (he would probably call it ‘trolling’ if someone did it to him), but I’m always amused by his fake (that’s my guess anyway) hatred of Bayern Munich because they lost two Champions League finals against Manchester United and Chelsea.

I can assure him Bayern didn’t lose those finals deliberately. They didn’t want to and didn’t do it to annoy him. They were desperately disappointed to. Far more than him because he didn’t want Manchester United to win the trophy after being outplayed by Bayern, or Chelsea to win it and become the first (and so far only) London club to do so.

People may have their own valid reasons to dislike Bayern (I’m sure many Dortmund fans do). But if our friend from across the Atlantic’s dislike isn’t fake or posted to simply wind up or ‘troll’ me, it strikes me as a little weird, if not warped, to hate a team because they lost two games against opposition he hates even more. Mind you, perhaps that isn’t so unlikely?

Anyway, he’ll pretend not to see this.

Post #514915  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:53 am 

Well done Bayern but it is easy when you are in a relatively Mickey Mouse league where you always get into the top 2 to qualify for the CL. Sooner or later you are going to win it. Ditton Madrid and Barca and PSG. Big fish and small ponds. Time the English league got extra places over leagues that amount to a glorified Scottish Prem.

Post #514916  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:24 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Well done Bayern but it is easy when you are in a relatively Mickey Mouse league where you always get into the top 2 to qualify for the CL. Sooner or later you are going to win it. Ditton Madrid and Barca and PSG. Big fish and small ponds. Time the English league got extra places over leagues that amount to a glorified Scottish Prem.

The leagues where the big teams barely have to turn up and they are guaranteed champions league places do have a huge advantage over English teams in the champions league. Firstly those leagues actively help their European teams by scheduling their league games on Friday night so give bigger rest periods before European games but also those big teams can rest players before big euro games and either win with weakened teams or even if they don’t win it isn’t going to affect their ability to qualify for the champions league. PSG have massively under performed in the CL up to now considering they could afford to go 50% effort in the league and still win it

Post #514917  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:39 am 

Interesting that Coutinho scored two late goals for Bayern (where he’s on loan) last night against his parent club Barcelona. Wouldn’t be allowed in the Premier League where on loan players are not allowed to appear against their parent club. One obvious example was when Sheffield United weren’t allowed to select their on loan keeper Henderson last season against his parent club Manchester United.

Post #514918  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:59 am 

Bernard wrote:
Interesting that Coutinho scored two late goals for Bayern (where he’s on loan) last night against his parent club Barcelona. Wouldn’t be allowed in the Premier League where on loan players are not allowed to appear against their parent club. One obvious example was when Sheffield United weren’t allowed to select their on loan keeper Henderson last season against his parent club Manchester United.

Would it be allowed in other european domestic leagues? So if Coutinho was loaned to Valencia, could he play against Barca?
I assume if two english clubs drew each other in european competition the on loan player could play against his parent club.

Post #514919  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:11 am 

I look at the consistent names being linked with Arsenal and each of them seems to have a set price that for whatever reason we're struggling to reach. I don't think any of them are extortionate: Partey £45m, Gabriel £25m, Ceballos pay his wages and a nominal loan fee. It pains me that we want these players but can't just go and get them because we've run the club so badly over the past 5 years. We should be able to find £70m easily, we should be able to raise £70m from player sales.
There are some very good deals to be had this summer, in a way we've never had a better opportunity recently to really shake up our squad with some clear decisive thinking.

I watched Upamecano's performance against Atletico and he was brilliant. We've been chasing him for a couple of years but didn't have the money to push to what Leipzig wanted.

I really don't know what is happening at the top levels and with our recruitment at the moment. Everything points to agents running the club, but I just still find it hard to believe that someone like Sanllehi as the most powerful man at Arsenal is quite literally only making transfer moves to line his own and his friends pockets with wods of cash with absolutely zero consideration how well the team performs. It makes no sense, but its where all the evidence points. Who does Sanllehi answer to? Josh? We have a manager who appears to have got the players (bar 2) and the fans all pulling in the same direction for matters on the pitch, we can see the ambition, improvement and potential - but without that same clear focus and strategy and direction from everyone above Arteta it is pointless.

Post #514920  Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:32 am 

In the Barca v Bayern game last night there were 10 goals, 7 subs, 2 VAR reviews and only a total of 2 minutes added on time for 1st and 2nd half combined.
I know it is a small thing to complain about but it consistently happens in games where the score is a foregone conclusion there will be hardly any added on time but in games where there is only 1 goal in it I guarantee there will be a lot more added on time.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12870, 12871, 12872, 12873, 12874, 12875, 12876 ... 14269  Next