Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 81 guests

Post #514841  Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:14 pm 

Gutted for Atalanta.

Post #514842  Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:14 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
Valencia's entire squad has been put up for sale as they try to balance the books from the covid fall out. Can't believe they will be the only team doing this. Ultimately the gap between those who need to tighten their belts and those who can sail through this unaffected is just going to get wider as richer clubs pick off the better players of weaker clubs at knock down rates.

Shame to see it happen to such an old, esteemed club. Remember their great side from the early 00s, right as my interest in football hit its peak. They had some cracking players in Pablo Aimar, Vicente, Ruben Baraja and David Albelda, and won the league a couple of times if I'm not mistaken.

Have a slight soft spot for Valencia since theh beat us in1980.

Post #514843  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:03 am 

If we get him and Partey, I think we may push for top 4. I'm still wondering why Musfafi isn't getting his Arsenal shirt at the gift shop like any non Arsenal player. :8surprise:

http://www.redlondon.net/david-ornstein ... -move-for/

Post #514844  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:23 am 

It also looks like Ceballos is headed back to Spain. Özil is still in the air. Coutinho signing becomes a bit more important.

Post #514845  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:36 am 

Some players aren't going to work out. You sell them. Take them off the books. Elneny is one of those players. No loans, just sell for whatever you can get.

http://dailycannon.com/2020/08/arsenal- ... idfielder/

Post #514846  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:42 am 

I don't think it will happen and see him going to a big money club but rumor mill is we are trying to do a player and cash deal for Fernandes @ Sporting Lisbon. Very young but you can see the upside potential.

Post #514847  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:45 am 

What? Next! Let's look elsewhere.

https://www.thesportreview.com/2020/08/ ... ey-salary/

Post #514848  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:59 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:
Valencia's entire squad has been put up for sale as they try to balance the books from the covid fall out. Can't believe they will be the only team doing this. Ultimately the gap between those who need to tighten their belts and those who can sail through this unaffected is just going to get wider as richer clubs pick off the better players of weaker clubs at knock down rates.

Shame to see it happen to such an old, esteemed club. Remember their great side from the early 00s, right as my interest in football hit its peak. They had some cracking players in Pablo Aimar, Vicente, Ruben Baraja and David Albelda, and won the league a couple of times if I'm not mistaken.

Yep, it was Rafa Benitez who won those titles, I think they were twice runners up in the champions league at that time as well. More great players like David Silva, David Villa, Mendieta, Mata, Aimar Miguel Angulo who seemed to be linked to Arsenal every season......and scourge of Arsenal John Carew!

Post #514849  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:08 am 

There's a big interview with Özil in the Athletic today, unfortunately it's only for subscribers but in the excerpt available Özil says he plans to see out his contract and fight his way back into the team. It's just such a mess of a situation, but it seems we're stuck with him for another year. The sad part is how much the team is crying out for a playmaker. Imagine Özil from 2015-2018, but instead of Giroud being the lead striker, he's supplying Aubameyang. It should've been a match made in heaven.

Post #514850  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:51 am 

Hazuki wrote:
There's a big interview with Özil in the Athletic today, unfortunately it's only for subscribers but in the excerpt available Özil says he plans to see out his contract and fight his way back into the team. It's just such a mess of a situation, but it seems we're stuck with him for another year. The sad part is how much the team is crying out for a playmaker. Imagine Özil from 2015-2018, but instead of Giroud being the lead striker, he's supplying Aubameyang. It should've been a match made in heaven.

Thanks for that Haz.

Not often you see the words 'fight' and 'Özil' in the same sentence.

Post #514851  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:51 am 

Rich wrote:
and scourge of Arsenal John Carew!

I hated him so much. I remember Wiltord giving up the ball and jumped around like my 3 year old nephew when its bedtime and gave away the goal that knocked us out I think.

Post #514852  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:55 am 

Hazuki wrote:

It is a real shame for all concerned. Other clubs have players in similar situations and they just want to play football so go on loan, take a pay cut etc. Of course Özil can do whatever he likes, Arsenal gave him that money. I wonder what he'll do next year? Lets say he leaves on a free transfer with no competitive football for 18 months, who is going to want him and who is going to pay him even a 1/5th of what he's on. If he wanted to continue playing football it would make more sense to go on loan and keep his stock higher so he gets a better free transfer in 10 months time.

Others have also pointed out Özil's refusal to take the 12.5% pay cut on the basis it was rushed through. Özil may point to the supposed promise of no job losses, of which we know there were 55 as proof that he was right........but 12.5% of his salary, which is about £2.3m would keep 55 people in jobs for a year on an average £40k a year salary. So if he had taken the cut those people might still be in a job. Of course I'm playing devil's advocate as I know it isn't as simple as that and there are two sides to every story. Either way it is a messy situation that Arsenal need to find a resolution to.

Post #514853  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:58 am 

DHD wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Thanks for that Haz.

And when you do it's often accompanied by words like 'no' or 'haven't got any'.

Post #514854  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:58 am 

DHD wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Thanks for that Haz.

Özil is a special player in a special team. he's not the player who grabs the game by the scruff of the neck. In the last 2 or so years the game has changed in that classic No.10's are no longer required - and a lot of players who love playing that No.10 role have had to adapt to playing deeper or wider and have had to hugely change the defensive and off the ball side of their game. Not many teams can afford to carry a passenger when out of possession. The game is moving away from the pure skills and moving towards a fitness and athletic ability craze, and Özil hasn't moved with it.

Post #514855  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:59 am 

There really is no hope. https://www.skysports.com/share/12048235

Post #514856  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:01 am 

Rich wrote:
DHD wrote:

Thanks for that Haz.

Özil is a special player in a special team. he's not the player who grabs the game by the scruff of the neck. In the last 2 or so years the game has changed in that classic No.10's are no longer required - and a lot of players who love playing that No.10 role have had to adapt to playing deeper or wider and have had to hugely change the defensive and off the ball side of their game. Not many teams can afford to carry a passenger when out of possession. The game is moving away from the pure skills and moving towards a fitness and athletic ability craze, and Özil hasn't moved with it.

Sorry Rich but Özil has changed far more than the game has. He came back from the World Cup a different player and I suspect, a different man. Now it may be seen as entirely admirable to take a stance on his human rights as a 'guest worker' who plays for his national team and to rip into the nation of his birth because of his perceptions on his shabby treatment. It's quite encouraging to see a sportsman hob-nobbing with the President of his antecedents' nation and becoming an advocate on the world stage for the down-trodden Uighurs.

Trouble is, while Özil may have grown significantly as a person because of all these new interests, he's actually regressed at the same rate as a footballer. He hasn't really been interested in playing since the World Cup. It took a while to spot the change but as the season went on, it became more and more obvious that he no longer defines himself as a footballer. In the subsequent seasons, his lack of interest in football - apart from the outrageous salary it pays him - has made him a complete passenger and un-pickable as a player.

Post #514857  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:14 am 

long time gooner wrote:

Delighted to see people finally standing up against the BLM bulls***. A national anthem is playing you stand to attention. End of.

Post #514858  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:50 am 

Rich wrote:
It is a real shame for all concerned. Other clubs have players in similar situations and they just want to play football so go on loan, take a pay cut etc. Of course Özil can do whatever he likes, Arsenal gave him that money. I wonder what he'll do next year? Lets say he leaves on a free transfer with no competitive football for 18 months, who is going to want him and who is going to pay him even a 1/5th of what he's on. If he wanted to continue playing football it would make more sense to go on loan and keep his stock higher so he gets a better free transfer in 10 months time.

As things stand, Özil may well have two main options next summer. Either join a club somewhere, my guess would be America or Turkey as China no longer looks realistic for him, who would be willing to pay him something in order to get a world famous (which he still is) player on their books for a season or two to attain some welcome publicity. He might fancy a spell living in the USA or Turkey and just go there for money that’s not even remotely close to what he gets at Arsenal. Despite him not enjoying playing anymore he could possibly be willing to continue training and walking around on the pitch during games for a little longer, just to experience life in a new place while at least getting paid something for the inconvenience.

Otherwise, simply retire as a player full stop. At the end of his contract at Arsenal he’ll be approaching his 33rd birthday. He doesn’t need to ever work again and will presumably be able to live in absolute luxury anywhere he likes for as long as he still draws breath. I can’t see Özil going into coaching or working as a pundit because I suspect he now finds football tedious.

So my guess is it’ll be one of the options above. If I’m right about that, what I don’t know is which one he’ll take.

Post #514859  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:53 am 

DHD wrote:
Rich wrote:

Sorry Rich but Özil has changed far more than the game has. He came back from the World Cup a different player and I suspect, a different man. Now it may be seen as entirely admirable to take a stance on his human rights as a 'guest worker' who plays for his national team and to rip into the nation of his birth because of his perceptions on his shabby treatment. It's quite encouraging to see a sportsman hob-nobbing with the President of his antecedents' nation and becoming an advocate on the world stage for the down-trodden Uighurs.

Trouble is, while Özil may have grown significantly as a person because of all these new interests, he's actually regressed at the same rate as a footballer. He hasn't really been interested in playing since the World Cup. It took a while to spot the change but as the season went on, it became more and more obvious that he no longer defines himself as a footballer. In the subsequent seasons, his lack of interest in football - apart from the outrageous salary it pays him - has made him a complete passenger and un-pickable as a player.

I think we agree. When I said Özil hasn't changed I meant in evolving or improving as a footballer to the demands of his various coaches, team structure and the game itself. I think you're right pinpointing the World Cup where he was made a total scapegoat by a lot of high ranking people in German Football, he promptly retired and probably thought 'is it all worth it?'

Post #514860  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:57 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Delighted to see people finally standing up against the BLM bulls***. A national anthem is playing you stand to attention. End of.

Really? I'm an atheist and a republican and you want me to stand for the dirge the British call a national anthem?

Post #514861  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:03 pm 

Dafatone wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Really? I'm an atheist and a republican and you want me to stand for the dirge the British call a national anthem?

Also to expect people to stand for a national anthem you need to be proud of said nation. If the country isn't treating you right why should you respect it? The BLM movement may have been hijacked by some extremists but the principle is right. It would appear that some right wingers out there take exception to BAME people who voice any opinion.

Post #514862  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:13 pm 

Rich wrote:
...Others have also pointed out Özil's refusal to take the 12.5% pay cut on the basis it was rushed through. Özil may point to the supposed promise of no job losses, of which we know there were 55 as proof that he was right........but 12.5% of his salary, which is about £2.3m would keep 55 people in jobs for a year on an average £40k a year salary. So if he had taken the cut those people might still be in a job. Of course I'm playing devil's advocate as I know it isn't as simple as that and there are two sides to every story. Either way it is a messy situation that Arsenal need to find a resolution to.
Yes, but I can't see how it has ever been Özil's responsibility to fund job losses caused by a worldwide pandemic! Maybe when our illustrious leaders and royalty take a pay cut it might be a discussion. Until then he is a very easy target, and I am pleased to see that he is standing by his own principles over how he wants to manage his own charitable work. He may not be everybody's cup of tea as a player, and fair enough, but surely that is where the criticism of him should begin and end? To some degree Arteta has so far been given a pass on why he considers one of the most creative midfielders in the game not worthy of a place in our mid-table team?

Post #514863  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:13 pm 

Rich wrote:
...Others have also pointed out Özil's refusal to take the 12.5% pay cut on the basis it was rushed through. Özil may point to the supposed promise of no job losses, of which we know there were 55 as proof that he was right........but 12.5% of his salary, which is about £2.3m would keep 55 people in jobs for a year on an average £40k a year salary. So if he had taken the cut those people might still be in a job. Of course I'm playing devil's advocate as I know it isn't as simple as that and there are two sides to every story. Either way it is a messy situation that Arsenal need to find a resolution to.
Yes, but I can't see how it has ever been Özil's responsibility to fund job losses caused by a worldwide pandemic! Maybe when our illustrious leaders and royalty take a pay cut it might be a discussion. Until then he is a very easy target, and I am pleased to see that he is standing by his own principles over how he wants to manage his own charitable work. He may not be everybody's cup of tea as a player, and fair enough, but surely that is where the criticism of him should begin and end? To some degree Arteta has so far been given a pass on why he considers one of the most creative midfielders in the game not worthy of a place in our mid-table team?

Post #514864  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:37 pm 

Seems like we're "stuck" with Özil. He won't agree to any transfer offers it seems. Wonder what Arteta plans to do?

Post #514865  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:57 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Seems like we're "stuck" with Özil. He won't agree to any transfer offers it seems. Wonder what Arteta plans to do?
He seems to be leaving Özil on the shelf, hoping the player will get hacked off and move on? Truth is we are a club with just two world class players and the manager is ready to put one in the freezer. Possibly understandable if his team was full of young guys about to become world beaters but it isn't. Özil not playing is a sad waste of talent.

Post #514866  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:05 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
To some degree Arteta has so far been given a pass on why he considers one of the most creative midfielders in the game not worthy of a place in our mid-table team?

Arteta did start Özil in his first 10 league games in charge. he then didn't play a minute in Arteta's last 10 league games in charge. the 20 games split by the Coronavirus break.

In those 10 games he played he got 1 goal and 1 assist.

Özil also started 7 games in a row at the end of Emery and all of Ljungberg's games. A run of 1 win in those 7 games.

If Özil is still one of the most creative midfielders in the game he isn't showing it.

In the 18/19 season. 24 appearances, 5 goals, 2 assists and only 3 big chances created and 7 through balls. So it wasn't like he's putting them on a plate and others are missing them.

For whatever reason he's a spent force on the pitch and has been for some time. Maybe if he was racking up great attacking numbers you could forgive the lack of workrate and defensive side of his game - but he isn't and wasn't so he basically has been serving zero function in the team (I'm aware you could say that about other Arsenal players as well)

Post #514867  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:39 pm 

Özil has got 4 assists in his last 42 league games. If he was a young player he would have been sold long ago. He’s only here because of the size of his contract.

I can’t understand anyone lamenting why he isn’t in the team or why he’s been disregarded.

Post #514868  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:46 pm 

Dafatone wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Why are national anthems played at domestic sporting events? What relevance does it have? Even at international level, it feels like an empty gesture to me or maybe a misplaced gesture. And to add to the theatre, we in Ireland have to have two anthems when we play rugby :sad4:

Post #514869  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:51 pm 

Also I see our fans online defending Özil trying to compare it to the Bale situation

Entirely different, Bale has been playing very well when called on but is out of favour and being forced out by his club, Özil has been abysmal, had a bad attitude.

I don’t blame him for digging in and seeing his contract out but the continual stewards enquiry on why he’s not playing or the press interviews where he says he staying are boring.

Post #514870  Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:30 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
He seems to be leaving Özil on the shelf, hoping the player will get hacked off and move on? Truth is we are a club with just two world class players and the manager is ready to put one in the freezer. Possibly understandable if his team was full of young guys about to become world beaters but it isn't. Özil not playing is a sad waste of talent.

Hi OMOH,

Özil has world class ability but he's long since stopped being a worldclass player, if indeed he ever was one.

It's clear that his application is not to the standards that Arteta has asked of the group and quite rightly he has been left out. He's a passenger without the ball and his dwindling influence on games no longer justifies us carrying a passenger.

He's not a serious footballer because a serious footballer would not flitter away the remaining years of what is a after all a short career. It's not like he's short of a few bob and couldn't take a pay-cut to play somewhere every week.

Post #514871  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:40 am 

Özil is doing what Kanu did in his last years with us. Collect a wage packet. Özil has never been a person of strong character. I recall one of the scouting reports on him was that he needs to be man managed well. He takes perceived slights very personally.
I recall people complaining he wasn't more of a leader. That was never one of his strengths. He needs to be coddled and handled gingerly to get the most out of him. He has gotten tougher. The EPL does that to you. It is impossible to be a success in the British leagues if you can't take the fact that the referees allow more physicality than they do in other leagues.
So the question what to do about him? We have no choice than to play him. My guess is he doesn't train hard enough for a person of his talents for Arteta. From what we know he looks at how serious people take training as a major component of what he looks for in a starting XI.
With the money he's getting, we need to find a role for him or pay out his contract and start over.

Post #514872  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:57 am 

Willian....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.u ... 26623/amp/

Post #514873  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:08 am 

Amadou Diawara..

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... y-18766398

Post #514874  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:45 am 

I cannot understand why the club doesn't just sack him and let him argue in Court that he is the player we agreed to pay £350000 a week for his services.

After all isn't a footballer a club asset, bought for a purpose for which he is no longer fit? What do we have to lose? He has been given every chance to improve his career but has made no effort to secure a place in the first team has he?

Sack him and see what happens......................

Post #514875  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:50 am 

As long as he's physically fit and it's the manager's choice not to involve him in the squad, I don't see how the club would have a case. As far as I know, he's made himself available for selection and Arteta is the one choosing not to play him - probably rightly so, but it means Özil is fulfilling his contractual obligation.

Post #514876  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:07 am 

Zed wrote:

This is such a weird article. So now we're counting signing on fees and potential bonuses as part of a players salary? If they want to do that, they should do it across the bord - Aubameyang is probably earning north of 300k/week then, and I assume they're going to mention Pogba's wage as 350-400k from now on?

Post #514877  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:03 am 

Zed wrote:

Post #514878  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:05 am 

socrates wrote:
He's not a serious footballer because a serious footballer would not flitter away the remaining years of what is a after all a short career. It's not like he's short of a few bob and couldn't take a pay-cut to play somewhere every week.

Arseblog made a good point that a player who is serious about reclaiming his place in the team doesn't give an interview like this. Whether Özil thinks he's been treated unfairly by the club or not, it just sends all the wrong signals. Compare it to players like Xhaka and Ceballos who were out in the cold for various reasons, but managed to get back into the team by working hard and producing solid performances when called upon. Think that's the only way to do it.

Post #514879  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:17 am 

Hazuki wrote:
As long as he's physically fit and it's the manager's choice not to involve him in the squad, I don't see how the club would have a case. As far as I know, he's made himself available for selection and Arteta is the one choosing not to play him - probably rightly so, but it means Özil is fulfilling his contractual obligation.

I don't disagree with you but all legal cases are legal till someone proves they are illegal. :36angers:

A player can work to rule can an employer not do the same? put some stress into the situation. Maqke him captain of the youth team. Make him play an away game every week. Make him train till he drops. There has to be somthing that will break him.

Post #514880  Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:19 am 

Willian confirmed on Arsenal.com and on Sky Sports News.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12869, 12870, 12871, 12872, 12873, 12874, 12875 ... 14269  Next