Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 100 guests

Post #513441  Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:16 am 

I wouldn't suggest Martinez replacing Leno just yet, however he is more composed with his feet and better and quicker with his distribution, which if you are wanting to play out from the back is a big attribute. I also think he's better on crosses than Leno.

Leno is clearly still the number one but if Martinez continues to show the calmness and composure that he has done so far, and the clean handling, then at some point in the future a case might be made that he is actually more what we need.

A keeper with brilliant reflexes is great when you have a weak defence and are reliant on a keeper making point-blank saves etc. Once you have a better defence then if you want to play a certain way a keeper who is really good with his feet can give you an extra dimension, a la Ederson.

Leno is one of the best keepers currently in the PL but he's certainly not faultless.

Post #513442  Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:12 am 

david.d wrote:
I honestly did not expect that yesterday.
Wolves are above us for a reason and they tore us apart last season 3 0 up at half time.
I thought we would lose , at best a draw but boy did the boys prove me wrong.
Great TEAM performance and credit to arteta.
I love everything about this guy and we have to stick by him even when we lose a few.
It was such a mature disciplined performance which is more pleasing than a big thrashing against a weaker opponent.
CL is beyond us but we should be nailing one of those top 8 Europa league spots.
Martinez is looking the business and Leno must be watching on worried. He just has a calm assurance about him and commands with that massive frame of his.
Wonderful 3 points and lets carry it on against Leicester.
So happy we tied up Saka. What a great prospect and just a lovely humble kid he is.
Also great to tie up Martinelli as well.
If rumours are true about Aubameyang and 250 000 he is after then get it done.
I like how AMN has played himself back into favour and is saying the right things.
Guendouzi please take note.
Would hate to lose him as there is a player in there but doesn't look good for him at the moment.

AMN says he prefers centre mid. Why not give him a go?

Post #513443  Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:26 am 

Gunfire wrote:
AMN says he prefers centre mid. Why not give him a go?

I would have thought Arteta's tactical formation would suit AMN playing at RB. Arteta has tweaked things recently with the 3-4-3 (which suits AMN as well I think) but when Arteta was playing 4-2-1-3, when attacking this moves to a 2-3-5 the left full back goes very high to the left wing position and the right full back tucks in to CM alongside the two holding mids. The 5 up top are the original 3 forwards, the attacking mid and the left back.
I thought AMN was excellent when he came on a left-wing back, it was a direct change as soon as Jota came on which pushed Traore out to the right wing. It may have been more natural to pull Saka back to a more natural left wing back position and put AMN on at right wing, but AMN came on to do a man marking job on Traore and was brilliant.
AMN interview recently cleared up any issue over position, whilst he likes CM he said he would play anywhere the boss asked him to.
Arteta is starting to turn around players who many thought had no future at the club.

Post #513444  Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:40 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
So Jose takes notice of what our fans say. Ha ha ha. Needs to get some help about his insecurity before they sack him. A manager at last chance saloon

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... s-22306981

Jose being typical Jose. After a bad defeat he once again threw his players under the bus questioning their desire and attitude. He's already made noises about not having a strong enough bench putting pressure on the board to make big signings.
Also, someone else pointed out a standard Jose tactic, following the defeat to Sheff Utd he made a point of interrupting Chris Wilder's live interview to come over and say congratulations and give him a hug. "look how sporting and gracious I am in defeat" - I assume they shook hands/fist bumped at the end of the game and there would have been plenty of other opportunities to do that, but Jose decides the 2 minutes Wilder is live in front of the cameras to do it. Wilder obviously laps it up in awe and goes on about what a "class act" Jose is. Made me want to vomit.

Post #513445  Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:53 pm 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53302056

Little to celebrate? Not being Tottenham is reason enough.

Post #513446  Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:59 pm 

Not seen much from Zaha this season. Considering the age and price being quoted I'm happy we sidestepped that one. Pépé hasn't exactly exploded like you might expect a £70m signing to but he's steadily improved and could end up the season with 10 goals and 10 assists.
We do need him to kick on next season to looks to be contributing 15 league goals

Post #513447  Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:44 pm 

Other than a handful of clubs spending money it does feel that most clubs are going to be relying on cheap or free transfers and loans this summer.
The loan market could be particularly interesting as very big clubs look to get rid of unwanted players or young talent in need of games, that filters down to big ish clubs and to middling clubs and so on.

We need a CB but if we can only make one signing this summer then it has to be a dominant CM. numbers wise we have plenty of defenders and despite my previous view that perhaps this bunch of defenders we have really are uncoachable the last few games has made me hope that with the right coach, the right system, right tactics and the right attitude throughout the whole team that we can form a much better defence than we have recently.

In central midfield though we look light of quality and numbers. If Partey is the man and we can make the £40-45m work by sales then we should go for it. There was also strange goings on with Pape Gueye who is a young very highly rated athletic CM available for about £5m and was thought to have signed for Watford before him and his agent reneged on the deal because they didn't understand what they were signing. Gueye was linked with us for a long time - at £5m he looks definitely worth the risk

Post #513448  Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:04 pm 

Hope our friend from across the Atlantic doesn’t see this. It might upset him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun ... tract/amp/

Post #513449  Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:14 pm 

Ornstein reporting Guendouzi has been training alone for the last couple of weeks. Bad attitude and unwilling to tow the line. *%^@ him. Bin him off.

link

Post #513450  Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:33 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
What's happening on Friday?

Our General Election. Usually a no-contest, but for the first time, quite a few brilliant ones trying for a shot.

The incumbent party will still form the majority in parliament as it has always done since 1960s. Can't see them losing 1/3 of the seats contested.

Post #513451  Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:41 pm 

Rich wrote:
Other than a handful of clubs spending money it does feel that most clubs are going to be relying on cheap or free transfers and loans this summer.
The loan market could be particularly interesting as very big clubs look to get rid of unwanted players or young talent in need of games, that filters down to big ish clubs and to middling clubs and so on.

We need a CB but if we can only make one signing this summer then it has to be a dominant CM. numbers wise we have plenty of defenders and despite my previous view that perhaps this bunch of defenders we have really are uncoachable the last few games has made me hope that with the right coach, the right system, right tactics and the right attitude throughout the whole team that we can form a much better defence than we have recently.

In central midfield though we look light of quality and numbers. If Partey is the man and we can make the £40-45m work by sales then we should go for it. There was also strange goings on with Pape Gueye who is a young very highly rated athletic CM available for about £5m and was thought to have signed for Watford before him and his agent reneged on the deal because they didn't understand what they were signing. Gueye was linked with us for a long time - at £5m he looks definitely worth the risk

Sounds like a signing Wenger would make. A dominant CM like Partey or Doucoure is a cult hero waiting to happen at Arsenal. About time we have a monster in the middle again.

Post #513452  Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:41 pm 

Darren wrote:
Ornstein reporting Guendouzi has been training alone for the last couple of weeks. Bad attitude and unwilling to tow the line. *%^@ him. Bin him off.

link

Interesting. Arteta doesn’t strike me as someone to hold a grudge for the sake of it (like Jose) so there must be serious concerns about his attitude and an unwillingness to knuckle down.

I get that some people will say an combative attitude is what makes so many players winners, but it seems it isn’t necessarily the in game stuff Guendouzi is being punished for. More The training ground side of things.

If there is any hint that he is not towing the line or showing any inkling to improving his behaviour then sell him and replace him

Post #513453  Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:43 pm 

Darren wrote:

link

I’d prefer to think it’s a grow up quick warning to him. As a player I think he’d be a big loss.

Post #513454  Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:45 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Darren wrote:

link

I’d prefer to think it’s a grow up quick warning to him. As a player I think he’d be a big loss.

Not sure how true it is but one account on Twitter, Le Grove, is suggesting he is very rude to staff at the training ground. Shame, as decent player but seems he may be burning bridges rapidly.

Post #513455  Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:49 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Hope our friend from across the Atlantic doesn’t see this. It might upset him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun ... tract/amp/

Getting more out of our underperforming players shows the mark of a good coach. Arteta has demonstrated tactical flexibility by switching to 3-4-3 to make us a more organised unit. If the club can recruit the players he want to play his preferred style, we can look forward to challenging top 4 finish again next season.

Post #513456  Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:55 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Darren wrote:

link

A bit of an Anelka situation. Sell him for as much money as possible if he's more trouble than he's worth.

Post #513457  Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:31 pm 

Darren wrote:
Not sure how true it is but one account on Twitter, Le Grove, is suggesting he is very rude to staff at the training ground. Shame, as decent player but seems he may be burning bridges rapidly.

Accounts on Twitter can be misleading. From what I read , Ornstein isn’t the infallible ultra reliable source some people think he is, anyway.

Post #513458  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:04 am 

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

A bit of an Anelka situation. Sell him for as much money as possible if he's more trouble than he's worth.

Anelka situation? Hardly

David Bentley is probably a better description

Post #513459  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:08 am 

Bernard wrote:
Darren wrote:

link

How ? Since we dragged his arse out of the entire match day squad the results have picked up considerably.

Post #513460  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:21 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
How ? Since we dragged his arse out of the entire match day squad the results have picked up considerably.

I strongly suspect there are a number of factors adding up to the improvement in form.

Post #513461  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:28 am 

Bernard wrote:
Darren wrote:

link

I think you're right it is a 'grow up quick' warning, rather than anything he's doing or not in the 90 minutes. Arteta is questioned on it at every press conference and is basically saying the behaviour hasn't changed so the position hasn't changed. That is the bit that concerns me a lot more than him stepping out of line in the first place.
Ultimately you have 23 players all pulling in the same direction and 2 (Özil and Guendouzi) seemingly not.

Post #513462  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:38 am 

Guendouzi to be sold is the rumour. Read it on a few tweets and sites. If he is getting too big for his boots good call and a lesson to everyone else who thinks they are too big for their boots from the boss.

Post #513463  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:06 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I think you're right it is a 'grow up quick' warning, rather than anything he's doing or not in the 90 minutes.

If he was doing it week in week out there’s no way we would contemplate selling him. Believe me if he had provided 6-8 goals and a number of assists or match winning contributions it wouldn’t have entered Artetas thoughts.

If a player is performing the club will put up with an endless amount of nonsense. Look at Tony Adams during his drinking phase, Luiz Suarez, Gascoigne etc etc etc

It’s not just about his attitude.

Post #513464  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:31 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Guendouzi to be sold is the rumour. Read it on a few tweets and sites. If he is getting too big for his boots good call and a lesson to everyone else who thinks they are too big for their boots from the boss.

I see a strong possibility he will be sold, although not because rumours on Twitter and other sites are saying it. For me, self-proclaimed ITKs are routinely attention seekers with not enough substantive things going on in their lives to stop them needing to get loads of followers to achieve satisfaction.

I think Guendouzi’s departure, if it happens, is more likely to be linked to what Rich said. He may not want to toe the line. Same with Özil although I don’t see us being able to get rid of him. Hence another year of picking up £350k a week for doing sod all. Sounds right up Özil’s street.

Holding is another. If I was was him I’d be concerned about my Arsenal career. Gets on the bench but hasn’t started a game since Brighton. Having said that, I’ll be surprised if Sokratis is kept. So if the money isn’t going to be available for the likes of Upamecano or whoever, maybe that’ll save Holding.

Post #513465  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:43 am 

Arteta wants Ceballos to stay. Could be another loan as I doubt we can afford the permanent deal.

Post #513466  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:20 pm 

Question: Having read yet more links to Partey, this time swap with Lacazette, Anyone know why Atletico don’t seem to want him?? Has he flopped there?

Post #513467  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:25 pm 

Apparently Arsenal have the second youngest average age for Starting XI's in the premier league this season

Post #513468  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:30 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Guendouzi to be sold is the rumour.

https://www.90min.com/posts/matteo-guen ... r-transfer

Post #513469  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:32 pm 

Ash wrote:
Question: Having read yet more links to Partey, this time swap with Lacazette, Anyone know why Atletico don’t seem to want him?? Has he flopped there?

I'm not sure it is them not wanting him, he was fantastic in the 2 legs v Liverpool. He has a release clause so they cant stop him leaving, and if you believe the rumour mill Arsenal can double his wages to £130k a week. Partey has 50, 42 and 42(so far) appearances for Atletico over the past 3 seasons so they definitely see him as 1st choice

Post #513470  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:47 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Holding is another. If I was was him I’d be concerned about my Arsenal career. Gets on the bench but hasn’t started a game since Brighton. Having said that, I’ll be surprised if Sokratis is kept. So if the money isn’t going to be available for the likes of Upamecano or whoever, maybe that’ll save Holding.

What we do at CB is going to be very interesting this summer.
We have Luiz, Saliba, Sokratis, Mari, Holding, Mustafi, Chambers (and Mavropanos) That's 8 CB's.....and when we play 3 at the back Kolasinac and even Tierney + Xhaka can fill in.
We know Luiz, Mari and Saliba are in. It wouldn't surprise me if Arteta picks the one he likes the best out of the remainder - which seems to be Mustafi and tried to offload the rest - albeit Chambers won't be going anywhere due to his injury and Mavropanos may go on loan again.

I could see Holding and Sokratis being sold and no new CB coming in. High sales figures will be hard to come by so it would be worth keeping Holding if the right fee isn't available - given his age and home grown status he should fetch a minimum of £20m. If we squeak in to Europa league we'll need a decent collection of players

Post #513471  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:06 pm 

Rich wrote:
Arteta wants Ceballos to stay. Could be another loan as I doubt we can afford the permanent deal.

Hmm. I guess Arteta thinks he can get the best out of Ceballos. I can only think of a couple of games where he had played really well. Another interesting young player at RM is Brahim Diaz. His size, nimblesness and ambidexterity reminds me of Cazorla.

Post #513472  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:51 pm 

Rich wrote:
Ash wrote:

I'm not sure it is them not wanting him, he was fantastic in the 2 legs v Liverpool. He has a release clause so they cant stop him leaving, and if you believe the rumour mill Arsenal can double his wages to £130k a week. Partey has 50, 42 and 42(so far) appearances for Atletico over the past 3 seasons so they definitely see him as 1st choice

Ah, having done some quick research that clause stands at €50M. He’s 26 so bang in his prime. A swap with Lacazette or Guendouzi favours us IMO and a few clubs have been strongly linked with him. Love that to happen one way or other if possible. No UCL will be a major hurdle :20hospitals:

Post #513473  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:26 pm 

terrible decision to call a foul by Tierney there, he was fouled as he was trying to intercept the ball!

Post #513474  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:29 pm 

big save from Martinez. We were caught out on the short corner again, shot came through Mustafi's legs so it was a fine save

Post #513475  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:32 pm 

Soyuncu, their CB having to play left back. We've got Saka out on the right again. Feels like a natural right winger who would take him on the outside might be better suited

Post #513476  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:37 pm 

Aubamayang!!! 1-0

Post #513477  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:38 pm 

Superb in to out run from Saka, wonderful ball inside the ball back from Ceballos. Saka then sits Jonny Evans on his ar$e and delivers the ball across the box for a tap in for Aubamayang

Post #513478  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:39 pm 

That pass from Ceballos was excellent.

Post #513479  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:40 pm 

That is why Arteta wants to keep Ceballos. As much as what Saka did was brilliant the ball from Ceballos makes 75% of that goal

Post #513480  Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:46 pm 

Good play again - Saka with a good shot saved.

Once we get past Leicester's high press we're getting through them every time. Needs Xhaka and Ceballos to find the right passes under pressure

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12834, 12835, 12836, 12837, 12838, 12839, 12840 ... 14269  Next