Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Googlebot and 109 guests

Post #513321  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:58 am 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
I’m hoping that Ceballos stays. He’s becoming a far more influential player for us and putting in far more complete performances.

Hasn’t the extension of Ceballos’ loan deal been confirmed? I’m sure I saw headlines saying it had. But having said that, I don’t recall reading any of the reports so perhaps I simply misunderstood the headline.

Not really. This is from the AFC site from a few days ago:

We are delighted to confirm that defenders David Luiz, Pablo Mari and Cédric Soares have agreed contracts to stay with us beyond the end of this season.
In addition midfielder Dani Ceballos has extended his loan from Real Madrid until the end of the current 2019/20 season.

Post #513322  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:06 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Hasn’t the extension of Ceballos’ loan deal been confirmed? I’m sure I saw headlines saying it had. But having said that, I don’t recall reading any of the reports so perhaps I simply misunderstood the headline.

Not really. This is from the AFC site from a few days ago:

We are delighted to confirm that defenders David Luiz, Pablo Mari and Cédric Soares have agreed contracts to stay with us beyond the end of this season.
In addition midfielder Dani Ceballos has extended his loan from Real Madrid until the end of the current 2019/20 season.

Ah thanks. That makes it much clearer. Shows the danger of just going by headlines without reading what follows.

Post #513323  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:41 am 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:
But he was faster than Guendouzi though wasn’t he, and was also comfortably better in every regard at 17, making up for the pace with other attributes, see, that was my point. Guendouzi is slow and not good enough at other things to make up for it. And thankfully looks like he’s being moved on.

By having average pace Guendouzi is quicker than Fabregas, who was slow. When Guendouzi first broke into the team he struck me as the best youngster since Fabregas.

I’m still hoping your wish to see him moved won’t be satisfied. Heard a little of a radio interview yesterday (I was in my wife’s car who changes the station that’s on way too much to keep track or even bother asking what’s on).

Anyway, there was some bloke with some sort of Arsenal background being interviewed. An ex-player I presume, but it could be another type of job or even a guy from a fan group for all I know. He said he doesn’t see Guendouzi being sold as he is rated within the club. Perhaps they’re trying to hasten his maturity? Who knows but it gave me a little ray of comfort as I genuinely think he’s a top player in the making. There was also a little hope offered by some more formal report earlier in the week that Guendouzi has been told he won’t be sold.

Going back to your initial post on this sort of thread naming players you want sold, why was there no mention of Aubameyang? If he refuses to renew his contact, do you see keeping him next season but then losing him for nothing as better than selling him now for what hopefully would be for a decent transfer fee to enable some sort of replacement to be signed, or a player in another position?

Fabregas wasn’t quick but to call back to a previous line of argument, in a race between him Xhaka and Guendouzi I honestly don’t know who’d be slowest. That means they’re probably all slow. Although Febregas never placed behind a famously slow player in a speed test as far as I know. And to the point about midfielders lack of pace being no problem, during Fabregas’ tenure and beyond recovery pace of midfielders was a huge issue as we’d camp outside the opposition’s box and then be hit on the break and concede with the first shot in target. Recovery runs from midfielders are very important, and I’m sure players like Cazorla, Zidane et al weren’t very fast but frankly they mitigate that by being genius playmakers no??

As to the point about Brady I never saw him play being the young whippersnapper that I am, but I’ll bow to your opinion on that as I can’t make the comparison directly myself.

Why lacazette and not Aubameyang? Because Aubameyang is firing and Lacazette isn’t. Next season if we sell Aubameyang there are no guaranteed goals, even if we sign someone they’d likely be unproven, and Aubameyang is as close to a guarantee of forward goals you’re going to get. It would be too much, I think, to rely on Eddie and Martinelli and A.N other forward signing to lead the charge, and personally, others might think differently, I’d rather have Aubameyang for the last year of his contract because we won’t be able to replace those goals I don’t think.

Post #513324  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:29 am 

Ash wrote:
It would be too much, I think, to rely on Eddie and Martinelli and A.N other forward signing to lead the charge, and personally, others might think differently, I’d rather have Aubameyang for the last year of his contract because we won’t be able to replace those goals I don’t think.

Hi Ash, Doesn't this just push the problem 1 season on and leave us in a worse position then than we could be in next season.
If Aubamayang makes it clear he won't sign a new deal you have:
Option 1: Sell him to the highest bidder and have £Xm to try to replace him
Option 2: Keep him for another year, probably get a decent goal output because as you say he's as close as you can get to guaranteed goals, but then lose him for free in summer 2021 so we're faced with replacing Aubamayang with £0 money

Obviously if the only price anyone was willing to bid for him was £10m then I'd keep him for his final year, but I'd think that there are enough wealthy teams out there who want guaranteed goals that he'd raise at least £30m+. The point is not whether we can replace Aubamayang with what we are forced to sell him for - we almost certainly can't - the point is it is a lot easier to try to improve the team with some money from his sale than nothing and doing the later just delays things by a year and puts us in a worse position

Post #513325  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:41 am 

I don't keep up with a lot of our players who were sold or on loan but I had no idea he caught the eye of Juve?!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53264099
Stephy Mavididi: English striker joins Montpellier from Juventus

Post #513326  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:43 am 

Don’t be shocked if Aubameyang renews his contract with us. I think it’s not definite and it’s going to be a really close call but his value to us will be greater than other teams I think. Also I don’t think Arsenal can replace him wasn’t Danny Ings being suggested as a potential replacement. Get Özil off the books and offer whatever we save on Özil to Aubameyang for a few years. I really can’t see other teams being willing to stretch that far.

Post #513327  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:44 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Stephy Mavididi

Say that five times fast.

Post #513328  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:45 am 

I don't know his true value but 45 million seems awfully low for Sane from City to BM, especially for a 24 y.o. of his caliber.

Post #513329  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:46 am 

warrior wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Stephy Mavididi

I did and I ended up saying 'Mustafi out' :42laughter:

Post #513330  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:11 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
warrior wrote:

All this baiting of Bernard re Mustafi just goes to show that your blocking of members is nonsense. You still read the posts don’t you? Stop pretending otherwise.

Post #513331  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:32 pm 

The turnaround in Xhaka since Arteta has come in has been remarkable. Arteta has sung his praises specifically more than once. Xhaka was even given the captains armband when subs were made in the last two games.

It seems like Arteta has found a better way to emphasise his strengths and disguise his weaknesses. Playing Arteta in that deeper left side position gives him the time on the ball he craves and the overloading the left side with Tierney/Saka a left CB (Kolasinac) and Aubamayang coming from that side means the opposition right wing or right mid doesn't know whether to close Xhaka and leave the full back and Aubamayang 2 v 1 with his own full back, or stand off to ensure a man to man marking but leave Xhaka with time to pick his passes and dictate the game.

Post #513332  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:33 pm 

Ash wrote:
Fabregas wasn’t quick but to call back to a previous line of argument, in a race between him Xhaka and Guendouzi I honestly don’t know who’d be slowest. That means they’re probably all slow. Although Febregas never placed behind a famously slow player in a speed test as far as I know. And to the point about midfielders lack of pace being no problem, during Fabregas’ tenure and beyond recovery pace of midfielders was a huge issue as we’d camp outside the opposition’s box and then be hit on the break and concede with the first shot in target. Recovery runs from midfielders are very important, and I’m sure players like Cazorla, Zidane et al weren’t very fast but frankly they mitigate that by being genius playmakers no??

As to the point about Brady I never saw him play being the young whippersnapper that I am, but I’ll bow to your opinion on that as I can’t make the comparison directly myself.

Why lacazette and not Aubameyang? Because Aubameyang is firing and Lacazette isn’t. Next season if we sell Aubameyang there are no guaranteed goals, even if we sign someone they’d likely be unproven, and Aubameyang is as close to a guarantee of forward goals you’re going to get. It would be too much, I think, to rely on Eddie and Martinelli and A.N other forward signing to lead the charge, and personally, others might think differently, I’d rather have Aubameyang for the last year of his contract because we won’t be able to replace those goals I don’t think.

In a three man race between Fabregas, Guendouzi and Xhaka, I would be surprised if Guendouzi didn’t get the gold medal. Silver and bronze? Think my money would be on Fabregas for the silver and Xhaka for the bronze.

I’m not saying we’d be able to replace Aubameyang with somebody as good this summer. However, with the fee we’d get for him I suggest it’s a reasonable expectation that we’d have more chance of getting someone comparable than we would in 2021 with no transfer fee for him. It’s necessary to think ahead. Even talented young players cost money, so it surely has to be sensible to sell Aubameyang now than see him leave in 2021 for a big fat zero. He’d still have to be replaced.

Post #513333  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:41 pm 

Dafatone wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

All this baiting of Bernard re Mustafi just goes to show that your blocking of members is nonsense. You still read the posts don’t you? Stop pretending otherwise.

Interesting you call it baiting Daf, another word might be 'trolling' which is pretty sad given the amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth American has bored us all with about how others such as myself have been trolling him.

Post #513334  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:16 pm 

warrior wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Stephy Mavididi

Once slowly defeated me ...

Post #513335  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:23 pm 

Ash wrote:
If you could sell two players to make funds available, because I’m convinced thats the only way we’re making any signings other than free’s and loans, who would you let go?

Mine would be Lacazette and (look away Bern) Guendouzi. Two players who would bring in decent fees and I think have played out their time here.

Not Özil???

Post #513336  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:37 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Ash wrote:
If you could sell two players to make funds available, because I’m convinced thats the only way we’re making any signings other than free’s and loans, who would you let go?

Mine would be Lacazette and (look away Bern) Guendouzi. Two players who would bring in decent fees and I think have played out their time here.

Not Özil???

I mean the “to make funds available“ part excludes Özil doesn’t it? The only money connected to Özil is the millions he’ll be expecting from the club unless we loan him out and part pay his wages still.

Post #513337  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:46 pm 

Rich wrote:
Ash wrote:
It would be too much, I think, to rely on Eddie and Martinelli and A.N other forward signing to lead the charge, and personally, others might think differently, I’d rather have Aubameyang for the last year of his contract because we won’t be able to replace those goals I don’t think.

Hi Ash, Doesn't this just push the problem 1 season on and leave us in a worse position then than we could be in next season.
If Aubamayang makes it clear he won't sign a new deal you have:
Option 1: Sell him to the highest bidder and have £Xm to try to replace him
Option 2: Keep him for another year, probably get a decent goal output because as you say he's as close as you can get to guaranteed goals, but then lose him for free in summer 2021 so we're faced with replacing Aubamayang with £0 money

Obviously if the only price anyone was willing to bid for him was £10m then I'd keep him for his final year, but I'd think that there are enough wealthy teams out there who want guaranteed goals that he'd raise at least £30m+. The point is not whether we can replace Aubamayang with what we are forced to sell him for - we almost certainly can't - the point is it is a lot easier to try to improve the team with some money from his sale than nothing and doing the later just delays things by a year and puts us in a worse position

Hi Rich,

Yes you could be right. It depends on how the club want to play it with options available to them. As Top Gun said one of those options just might be Aubameyang signing a contact.

From the view of developing of Eddie it works, I don’t know if he’s going to be a 20 goal a season striker or if Martinelli and Saka start to tear it up, but they’ve got more chance of that in 21/22 than next season, so Aubameyang staying for only a year could plug that gap.

That does seem a bit of a gamble and as I say it really depends on how Arteta and the club play the options, but really I was only saying my preference was to sell lacazette if we can get a decent fee for him, I’m not averse to selling Aubameyang too if we can bring in the right replacements.

Post #513338  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:51 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:

In a three man race between Fabregas, Guendouzi and Xhaka, I would be surprised if Guendouzi didn’t get the gold medal. Silver and bronze? Think my money would be on Fabregas for the silver and Xhaka for the bronze.

Except that in the only thing resembling a race between any of those three, the club speed test, Guendouzi finished behind Xhaka, so that’s just wishful thinking on your part isn’t it.

Post #513339  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:12 pm 

Ash wrote:
... Aubameyang is as close to a guarantee of forward goals you’re going to get.
You are spot on saying that. His record with us is great, and we should be doing all we can to keep him. He is one of our very few world-class players. He would be snapped up quickly by any number of big clubs.

Post #513340  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:16 pm 

I think I recall reading Aubameyang is the quickest to 50 goals. Amazing given the great scorers we have had.

Post #513341  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:16 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I don't know his true value but 45 million seems awfully low for Sane from City to BM, especially for a 24 y.o. of his caliber.
Also, if I have read it right, a transfer at that fee means Liverpool will have made about £8m out of his time with them. That doesn't seem a lot. If Arsenal did that we'd never hear the end of it!

Post #513342  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:24 pm 

Rich wrote:
Goonie wrote:
Agree we won't miss Özil just like we haven't missed Mkhitaryan and Elneny. Not sure how happy Torreira is at Arsenal but there have been transfer rumours surrounding him even in his first season with us. Our CM roster could look something like this next season: Xhaka, Willock, AMN, Emile Smith Rowe + 1 or even 2 new CMs

Central midfield really is a priority in the summer. Özil is no great loss, nor Mkhi and Elneny. Ceballos will return to Madrid, Torreira could go back to Italy and Guendouzi could be used to raise funds. That is 3 players who have had a fair emount of minutes this season. If those 3 go we definitely need 2 central midfielders and I think we also need another attacking creative central mid.
If Arteta uses the 3-4-3 as the last few games then it is Xhaka + 1 in the middle. But if he goes down the City route of 4-1-2-3 then it is Xhaka at the base plus 2 x No.8's (de bruyne + silva in the city team). Saka starts coming in to the equation for that role and it potentially suits Willock and ASR but both are still very young and asking them to control a game and be responsible for our creative output is too much. None of the other midfielders suit this.

To get a team to suit Arteta's management style we've seen so far I think as a minimum you need a couple more central mids, 1 who can play deep or box-to-box and another who can play box-to-box or attacking, swap out lacazette for a more mobile striker. Plenty more work to do in the squad, particularly in improving quality in defence but the 3 areas mentioned above are not necessarily about quality it is about the make-up of the player to suit the managers way of playing

Center midfield and central defense both need overhauling. You can find a scientist to clone Vieira and Petit and if the central defense is not good, a team could nullify that playing long ball to a weak defense.

Completely agree on the central midfield though. Partey would be a great step in that direction. We are strongly linked but who knows.

Xhaka was making runs into the box which we haven't seen much of at all and one of those booming shots from distance got blocked. I have to think that's Arteta behind his recent forays into scoring positions.
His shot is one way he can make up for his other deficiencies but he's not taken full advantage of that, until recently.

Post #513343  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:41 pm 

Sheffield United 1-0 at 30 minutes but who pops up and equalises seconds later.Harry Kane the man himself.

My favourite ref on VAR disallows the goal foir an accidental handball during the build up. I'm sure Dean and Atkinson woiuld have given it.

Sheff Utd lead 1-0 :22encouragement: :7laughter:

Post #513344  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:43 pm 

Totts losing at Sheff Utd.

Comical episode when straight the re-start, Moura was bearing down on goal but was fouled. Ref played on as the ball fell to Kane who duly ‘scored’. On checking, VAR spotted that in the act of being fouled, the ball touched Moura’s arm as he fell. Chalked off.

How sad.

Post #513345  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:48 pm 

Ash wrote:
Except that in the only thing resembling a race between any of those three, the club speed test, Guendouzi finished behind Xhaka, so that’s just wishful thinking on your part isn’t it.

Is the club speed test the graphic you said showed Aubameyang was slower than Xhaka? You didn’t mention Guendouzi as part of the graphic.

But are you seriously telling me you think Xhaka is quicker than Aubameyang? If so, do you trust the graphic that much? Because, I’m sorry, I can’t trust any speed test that makes Xhaka quicker than Aubameyang, unless the latter had his ankles tied together or something similar.

So I’m perfectly comfortable in saying Guendouzi is quicker than Xhaka. Because I simply don’t think Xhaka is quicker than Aubameyang, assuming that is the speed test you talk of.

Post #513346  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:52 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Also, if I have read it right, a transfer at that fee means Liverpool will have made about £8m out of his time with them. That doesn't seem a lot. If Arsenal did that we'd never hear the end of it!

Liverpool? Do you mean city? Or are you thinking of Mané at Pool? I was racking my brain to think had I missed some complicated clause or a secret youth by Sane spent with Liverpool?? I have concluded it’s not me it’s you :laughing7:

Post #513347  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:03 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:

Is the club speed test the graphic you said showed Aubameyang was slower than Xhaka? You didn’t mention Guendouzi as part of the graphic.

But are you seriously telling me you think Xhaka is quicker than Aubameyang? If so, do you trust the graphic that much? Because, I’m sorry, I can’t trust any speed test that makes Xhaka quicker than Aubameyang, unless the latter had his ankles tied together or something similar.

So I’m perfectly comfortable in saying Guendouzi is quicker than Xhaka. Because I simply don’t think Xhaka is quicker than Aubameyang, assuming that is the speed test you talk of.

Bernard excuse my vernacular but what the actual *%^@.

Do the things other people say really register with you beyond jumping off points to make your rationally irrational arguments?

Go back and have a look if you want, it’s an Arsenal training list, posted BY Aubameyang showing speeds of players. Guendouzi is, yep you guessed it, just below Xhaka. I’m not claiming this as a slam dunk or gospel proof he’s slower than Xhaka, as it was one test a year ago, but to show claims that Guendouzi isn’t slow as demonstrably not true.

If you ACTUALLY thought i was batshit enough to say Aubameyang is slower than Xhaka why only say it now??

Can we put a cap in talking about Guendouzi, I don’t know what will come of him, neither do you. You have higher hopes than me, I wish the best for him particularly as it affects the club.

Post #513348  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:09 pm 

I may be jinxing them but hold on Blades. Hold on.

Post #513349  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:20 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:
Hi Bernard, Yes those are great qualities, it’s yet to be seen what he’ll become. Did you see the graphic above posted by Aubameyang in 2018? He literally finished behind Xhaka in that speed test. So I don’t think I’m overblowing that issue just to have a go at him. Bellerin has made a career out of his pace bailing him and us out defensively and making space for the overlap, now it’s gone a massive part of his game is too, hopefully he will recover some of that.

Whether you say Guendouzi doesn’t need that pace is another issue, but clearly he’s not quick.

No I didn’t see a graphic posted by Aubameyang showing he was slower than Xhaka. But if it’s true and it was reliable, why do people moan so much about Xhaka’s lack of pace, which they do? Just seeing them play I have little or no doubt that Xhaka cannot run as quickly as not only Aubameyang but Guendouzi as well. If he can, which would absolutely astonish me, then all the people who have moaned about Xhaka’s lack of pace can only be mistaken.

To be honest, I think OMOH raised a very good point as well, that had crossed my mind previously. Is huge pace as important for central midfielders as it arguably is in other positions? Petit wasn’t Usain Bolt in football boots, but would walk into my best ever Arsenal team. Fabregas wasn’t that quick either. Personally I suspect it’s more important in other positions. There have been countless players who have had fine careers not blessed with great pace, across many positions. Mertesacker and Giroud are obvious examples from the very recent past. Indeed, Giroud is still playing albeit not for Arsenal. It wasn’t long ago that Fabregas left Chelsea either.

I think I’ve already said Guendouzi is not quick. But I qualified that observation with my view that nor is he slow. I see him as having average pace. What I do firmly believe is that he has sufficient pace to have a great career in the game. Or if you prefer me putting it this way round. He isn’t slow enough to stop him from having a great career as a central midfielder. Whichever way round it’s put, it adds up to the same point. I still hope he has that career at Arsenal. But as I said before, I wouldn’t blame him or any other player for wanting to get away.

Ash, to show I wasn’t bringing this issue out of thin air, here is the post you did and my reply to it. The were on page 12829. Your one was post number 513138 and mine was 513139.

Just seeing them play, I simply cannot believe Xhaka is quicker than Aubameyang and nor can I believe Guendouzi is slower than Xhaka.

Post #513350  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:22 pm 

Is there a chance Martinez might actually be a better keeper than Leno?

Great with his feet, makes top saves, safe handling and seems better aerially than Leno. Perhaps not blessed with the razor sharp reflexes of Leno but in some ways a better all round keeper?

If we are going to continue to play out from the back there is a an argument that his ability with the ball at his feet may be a deciding factor. In the way that Ederson at City is almost an extra outfield player.

Post #513351  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:27 pm 

Ash wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Liverpool? Do you mean city? Or are you thinking of Mané at Pool? I was racking my brain to think had I missed some complicated clause or a secret youth by Sane spent with Liverpool?? I have concluded it’s not me it’s you :laughing7:

AG
Sane never played for Liverpool, even in his youth career. He's a German national. The fee is £54M with £10M in add ons to the £44M, with a 10% sell on clause. He's gone to BM for a physical already. And Mané does play for Liverpool.

Post #513352  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:28 pm 

Woop wooop 2-0 now....................................

Post #513353  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:43 pm 

Whoa is Moaninhon now 3-0 :42laughter:

Post #513354  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:45 pm 

Maybe I'm becoming a big softy but I never thought I'd see the day when I felt actual pity for Mourinho. I'm happy as hell Sheffield Utd is putting it to them but I feel sorry for Jose.

Oh how far the mighty have fallen.

Post #513355  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:55 pm 

3-1 to the Blades.

Those poor fans.

Post #513356  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:06 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Bernard wrote:
No I didn’t see a graphic posted by Aubameyang showing he was slower than Xhaka. But if it’s true and it was reliable, why do people moan so much about Xhaka’s lack of pace, which they do? Just seeing them play I have little or no doubt that Xhaka cannot run as quickly as not only Aubameyang but Guendouzi as well. If he can, which would absolutely astonish me, then all the people who have moaned about Xhaka’s lack of pace can only be mistaken.

To be honest, I think OMOH raised a very good point as well, that had crossed my mind previously. Is huge pace as important for central midfielders as it arguably is in other positions? Petit wasn’t Usain Bolt in football boots, but would walk into my best ever Arsenal team. Fabregas wasn’t that quick either. Personally I suspect it’s more important in other positions. There have been countless players who have had fine careers not blessed with great pace, across many positions. Mertesacker and Giroud are obvious examples from the very recent past. Indeed, Giroud is still playing albeit not for Arsenal. It wasn’t long ago that Fabregas left Chelsea either.

I think I’ve already said Guendouzi is not quick. But I qualified that observation with my view that nor is he slow. I see him as having average pace. What I do firmly believe is that he has sufficient pace to have a great career in the game. Or if you prefer me putting it this way round. He isn’t slow enough to stop him from having a great career as a central midfielder. Whichever way round it’s put, it adds up to the same point. I still hope he has that career at Arsenal. But as I said before, I wouldn’t blame him or any other player for wanting to get away.

Ash, to show I wasn’t bringing this issue out of thin air, here is the post you did and my reply to it. The were on page 12829. Your one was post number 513138 and mine was 513139.

Just seeing them play, I simply cannot believe Xhaka is quicker than Aubameyang and nor can I believe Guendouzi is slower than Xhaka.

Right so Guendouzi being the subject of the post clearly the “he” in “he finished behind Xhaka” relates to Guendouzi. It wasn’t grammatically the clearest but it does show me you didn’t understand the graphic, engage with it or even look at it.

Yes, I’m sure you have a hard time believing Aubameyang is slower than Xhaka, no one thinks that or has even ever suggested it!

Believe what you will, I showed you actual evidence that at the time of the test he - that’s Guendouzi for clarity’s sake - was slower than Xhaka. It might not be the case now But it does go towards the case that Guendouzi is, in fact, slow.

Post #513357  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:36 pm 

Ash wrote:
Right so Guendouzi being the subject of the post clearly the “he” in “he finished behind Xhaka” relates to Guendouzi. It wasn’t grammatically the clearest but it does show me you didn’t understand the graphic, engage with it or even look at it.

Yes, I’m sure you have a hard time believing Aubameyang is slower than Xhaka, no one thinks that or has even ever suggested it!

Believe what you will, I showed you actual evidence that at the time of the test he - that’s Guendouzi for clarity’s sake - was slower than Xhaka. It might not be the case now But it does go towards the case that Guendouzi is, in fact, slow.

Hadn’t you started off the post mentioning Aubameyang’s graphic? I simply presumed you were trying to say Xhaka is quicker than Aubameyang so he must be quicker than Guendouzi. I also said I didn’t see the graphic.

Wonder what the fitness of players might be when any speed test was done? I imagine such tests are done when players are carrying knocks or when recovering from injury, to try and ascertain fitness. But I still think you are wrong in claiming Guendouzi is slow. I would describe his pace as average, as I’ve said.

Post #513358  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:38 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Maybe I'm becoming a big softy but I never thought I'd see the day when I felt actual pity for Mourinho. I'm happy as hell Sheffield Utd is putting it to them but I feel sorry for Jose.

Oh how far the mighty have fallen.

Absolutely not. Jose deserves everything he gets and I'll quite happily sit back and watch him and his teams get worse and worse, celebrate his every downfall and not shed once ounce of sympathy.

Post #513359  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:42 pm 

So Joe Gomez has just fouled Sterling in the box by holding him, without the hold Sterling is 6 yards out, on the angle with a clear shot at the GK, didn't Luiz get a red card for that? Isn't that what the rules are? If you deny a clear goal scoring chance in the box without making a genuine attempt for the ball it should be a red

Post #513360  Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:51 pm 

I wonder what next season will be for Emile Smith-Rowe, by all accounts he's having a great loan at Huddersfield. Their fans love him.
Right now he'd give us a lot more than Özil

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12831, 12832, 12833, 12834, 12835, 12836, 12837 ... 14269  Next