Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 152 guests

Post #511841  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:55 am 

First time I've ever seen that tactic. The whole squad comes out, crazy! Was that a regular practice? Was that only a Man utd thing?

Post #511842  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:02 am 

Niall wrote:

Hi Niall,

Blimey, on one hand you have the clubs who want to get back playing within weeks and on the other hand the WHO recommending suspending competitions until the end of 2021. It must be a legal minefield.

Personally, I don't see how you can get back to spectators at games until there is either a vaccine or a very effective treatment.

They were talking about maybe 1-2% of the population having had it, if that's true that leaves an awful lot of people still to get it, including the elderly and those with underlying health issues or are on immuno suppressant medication.

Post #511843  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:28 am 

socrates wrote:
Hi Niall,

Blimey, on one hand you have the clubs who want to get back playing within weeks and on the other hand the WHO recommending suspending competitions until the end of 2021. It must be a legal minefield.

Personally, I don't see how you can get back to spectators at games until there is either a vaccine or a very effective treatment.

They were talking about maybe 1-2% of the population having had it, if that's true that leaves an awful lot of people still to get it, including the elderly and those with underlying health issues or are on immuno suppressant medication.

Morning socrates. To me it just sounds wrong to play games at all, even behind closed doors. Despite the long-term attempts to crack down on violent tackling, football can only be a contact sport.

The six foot rules cannot, and surely should not, be applied to football matches. It would make a mockery of the results. People would be unmarked at corners, walls for free kicks around the area wouldn’t be possible, and nor would tackling be possible. Presumably meaning anyone in possession would have a free run on goal leading to countless one on ones with keepers who wouldn’t be able to challenge the bloke through on goal. Any team using a pressing game wouldn’t be able to.

The whole thing sounds ridiculous but I would still say it’s unfair on the players to allow them to come into contact with each other, who in varying proportions probably will and won’t be infected. Okay, footballers are relatively young men with no underlying health issues, but does that make them safe? The skin of different players will come into contact with each other, without the six foot rule. Doesn’t that mean they’ll exchange each other’s perspiration onto their bodies (maybe not Özil as he doesn’t run around enough to sweat)? How about when they go home to wives and children after games? Players will come into contact with them, and maybe elderly parents.

I just think it’s wrong to say we don’t mind players catching it, so we’ll let them play games and come into contact with each other, but behind closed doors to protect those who actually go to games. In my view the season should be cancelled. Bad luck for some teams including the likes of Liverpool and Leeds, and most fortunate for others like Norwich. I say start football again when the crisis is finished to the extent that crowds can go to games.

Post #511844  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:51 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
Hi Niall,

Morning socrates. To me it just sounds wrong to play games at all, even behind closed doors. Despite the long-term attempts to crack down on violent tackling, football can only be a contact sport.

The six foot rules cannot, and surely should not, be applied to football matches. It would make a mockery of the results. People would be unmarked at corners, walls for free kicks around the area wouldn’t be possible, and nor would tackling be possible. Presumably meaning anyone in possession would have a free run on goal leading to countless one on ones with keepers who wouldn’t be able to challenge the bloke through on goal. Any team using a pressing game wouldn’t be able to.

The whole thing sounds ridiculous but I would still say it’s unfair on the players to allow them to come into contact with each other, who in varying proportions probably will and won’t be infected. Okay, footballers are relatively young men with no underlying health issues, but does that make them safe? The skin of different players will come into contact with each other, without the six foot rule. Doesn’t that mean they’ll exchange each other’s perspiration onto their bodies (maybe not Özil as he doesn’t run around enough to sweat)? How about when they go home to wives and children after games? Players will come into contact with them, and maybe elderly parents.

I just think it’s wrong to say we don’t mind players catching it, so we’ll let them play games and come into contact with each other, but behind closed doors to protect those who actually go to games. In my view the season should be cancelled. Bad luck for some teams including the likes of Liverpool and Leeds, and most fortunate for others like Norwich. I say start football again when the crisis is finished to the extent that crowds can go to games.

The puzzlement/concern for me is just when that might be. It’s not at all clear how we are going to get out of this situation in any time soon. It seems to be either a vaccine or the virus just clears off. It will be no more safe in 6 months than it is now.

Post #511845  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:52 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
Hi Niall,

Hi Bernard,

I think the plan would be to test all players before the games start and then keep them quarantined in hotels whilst the season is finished (maybe 6 weeks or so). Games would be played as normal.

Obviously this is only a short term solution and could not work long term.

Post #511846  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:47 am 

So many if's and buts re finishing the season. My proposal would be to finish this season however long it takes and once fans can go to watch the games. So if it takes til January/February, then so be it. Scrap all European club competitions including internationals. Scrap the Euros next year. Then kick off as normal August 2021 with the European comps as well. For the time being until further notice, only season ticket holders would be allowed to attend matches. I know realistically this won't happen.

The idea of playing loads of matches behind closed doors is a bit of a nonsense really. One off games are fine but a whole batch of them is just absurd. I honestly couldn't care about any of them, results wise. Or just null and void the season now and move on. The PL are desperate to conclude this season with so much money at stake though.

There is a belief that larger venues including theatres, cinemas and sports stadiums could be open around middle of June but that's just a prediction, nothing more.

Post #511847  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:53 am 

richie wrote:
There is a belief that larger venues including theatres, cinemas and sports stadiums could be open around middle of June but that's just a prediction, nothing more.

Can’t see that being true for sports stadia. It will be no more safe then than it is now. If it were a possibility (which it isn’t) then the Premier League would be planning to complete the season using those venues.

Post #511848  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:58 am 

I must admit it does seem a bit optimistic. Think the idea is that it we will be past the peak and things will be a lot more manageable, NHS etc. Only time will tell.

UEFA are still making noises about next season's European club competitions with the possibility of some domestic leagues being null and voided. I think a reality check is needed.

Post #511849  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:07 am 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Hi Bernard,

I think the plan would be to test all players before the games start and then keep them quarantined in hotels whilst the season is finished (maybe 6 weeks or so). Games would be played as normal.

Hi Soc, I can't see how this is fair on the players and their families.

As Dec mentioned yesterday, large gatherings have been banned in Ireland now until the end of August. The league of Ireland runs from Feb-October so it looks like there's little possibility of that resuming until September at the earliest.

Post #511850  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:10 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
That may not be surprising as one of the major problems for spread in Italy and Spain was believed to be the Atalanta Valencia first leg CL game.

And the Liverpool vs Athletico Madrid game is coming under more scrutiny as well.

Post #511851  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:26 am 

Niall wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi Bernard,

As Dec mentioned yesterday, large gatherings have been banned in Ireland now until the end of August. The league of Ireland runs from Feb-October so it looks like there's little possibility of that resuming until September at the earliest.

Hi Niall

It also means that the entire GAA season is gone. The attendances for those games are similar to PL matches. That decision wasn't taken lightly.

I can't see how contact sports can continue when everyone else is being pleaded with to observe social distancing.

Post #511852  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:28 am 

dec wrote:
Niall wrote:

Hi Niall

It also means that the entire GAA season is gone. The attendances for those games are similar to PL matches. That decision wasn't taken lightly.

I can't see how contact sports can continue when everyone else is being pleaded with to observe social distancing.

Grassroots football will be devastated too, the kids are going to be absolutely gutted.

Post #511853  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:58 am 

Post #511854  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:28 pm 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
Hi Niall,

But what if we move to a situation where there is much lower risk and most economic activity resumes but large gatherings are still banned?

It seems to me that football involves two elements. 1) the game which involves a slight and highly manageable risk to the players. 2) the crowds which constitutes a massive public health risk. Surely 1) becomes feasible long before 2)?

Honestly can't see even games without fans happening this year, however.

Post #511855  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:43 pm 

Those packed stadiums must have been insane in those days. I can only imagine. That direct ball to the head, with how heavy those balls were in those days. Had to be like a AG punch to.....lets not go there. :42laughter:

Post #511856  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:57 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Niall wrote:
Never going to happen. Ooops :42laughter:

When Boris had 2 excellent nurses dedicated to saving his life, I understand from the news they were a New Zealander and a Portugese citizen. Post Brexit would he have survived and many others if the Portugese citizen was not allowed in the country. Is there sufficient expertise in the UK to not require either of these workers?

Something tells me they would have scraped up a couple of good British nurses for Boris, Gaz. You are right about the others though.

Post #511857  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:09 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Those packed stadiums must have been insane in those days. I can only imagine. That direct ball to the head, with how heavy those balls were in those days. Had to be like a AG punch to.....lets not go there. :42laughter:

That happened to me twice when I was at school so I can sympathise, particularly because of the raucous amusement it caused. A football to the back of the head, and a cricket ball to the shin. Utterly polaxed. Both times I was merely walking past the field too.

Post #511858  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:26 pm 

Decaf wrote:
It seems to me that football involves two elements. 1) the game which involves a slight and highly manageable risk to the players. 2) the crowds which constitutes a massive public health risk. Surely 1) becomes feasible long before 2)?

Do you mean it’s a slight and highly manageable risk because of the fewer numbers of players? Because players come into very close contact with each other, so I’m not sure I’d call it a slight or manageable risk for the players, regardless of how small in number they are. Myself, I am not sure that justifies playing games behind closed doors and my vote still goes for declaring the season null and void.

Post #511859  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:44 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Do you mean it’s a slight and highly manageable risk because of the fewer numbers of players? Because players come into very close contact with each other, so I’m not sure I’d call it a slight or manageable risk for the players, regardless of how small in number they are. Myself, I am not sure that justifies playing games behind closed doors and my vote still goes for declaring the season null and void.

So in China they found out that 1 person went to a restaurant and infected 9 others out of the 15 in there including people who were sat on tables on the other side of the restaurant.

The press said even a closed doors match with Tv people and medical and club people would involve 250 odd people attending a game and mingling. On that basis I don’t think it comes down to your vote as until a vaccine is developed or the number of new cases reduced to a trickle less than a thousand a day surely then the season will have to be void.

Post #511860  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:59 pm 

One of my favorite moments ever.
"It's only Ray Parlour" hahahaha

Post #511861  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:59 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

So in China they found out that 1 person went to a restaurant and infected 9 others out of the 15 in there including people who were sat on tables on the other side of the restaurant.

The press said even a closed doors match with Tv people and medical and club people would involve 250 odd people attending a game and mingling. On that basis I don’t think it comes down to your vote as until a vaccine is developed or the number of new cases reduced to a trickle less than a thousand a day surely then the season will have to be void.

Believe it or not, I do realise it won’t come down to my vote. I ways simply using an expression to emphasise what I think should happen. Judging by the end of your last sentence, it sounds like you agree whether or not you choose to use the same expression I did.

Post #511862  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:39 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
bubblechris wrote:
Aren't all the great powers odious in one way or the other? Don't they all have their faults?

As far as the Chinese go I cannot see why we cannot take 5g from them when they are the cheapest and fastest and because we need it yesterday for the UK to succeed quicker from the breakup of the EU. There will always be problems with security but looking outside of the box why don't we just make sure nothing critical is transmitted over 5g. Why not make 6g secure from now, if anything can be secure, and we can look forward to the benefits of being one of the most advanced nations in the world.............

Jeez if you are worried about security - Pine Gap might give you nightmares.

Not that worried but our MPs over here are, well some are, and they kick up a stink whenever Huawei are mentioned.

Post #511863  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:41 pm 

Brady's goal! Reminds me of Bergkamp. Oh, Sunderland and Stapleton aren't too bad either.

Post #511864  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:36 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

My point is that a football crowd is many orders of magnitude more risky. The there are 10s of 1000s of people in close proximity who cannot be screened and who it would be a nightmare to trace. Without a crowd there are 22 players (28 if all subs are used) all of whom can be screened, tested, and traced. Protocol can be worked out to keep other personnel (refs, security, coaching staff, unused subs, etc.) safe.

If the degree of risk drops gradually, it is inevitable that it will be 'acceptably safe' to play long before it is acceptably safe to have crowds.

And I would say that we have to talk about 'acceptably safe' rather than 'absolutely safe'. There has to be a degree of risk accepted. Firstly, as you note, football is a contact sport and players accept at degree of risk, not just of getting maimed but also of infection (as with HIV). Secondly, workers elsewhere have to accept risk. Essential workers and workers in retail have had to take the risk even when the disease was spreading out of control. As the spread is controlled it will be necessary to open the economy up in stages. Those who go back to work will inevitably be facing somewhat more risk than those who are able to remain at home. Sport may be far down the list of 'essential' items but the economic cost of shutting it down for a couple of years would be very high--as would the deprivation fans would suffer.

Post #511865  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:38 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Jeez if you are worried about security - Pine Gap might give you nightmares.

Not that worried but our MPs over here are, well some are, and they kick up a stink whenever Huawei are mentioned.

It seems we agree about one thing at least, Chris.

Post #511866  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Believe it or not, I do realise it won’t come down to my vote. I ways simply using an expression to emphasise what I think should happen. Judging by the end of your last sentence, it sounds like you agree whether or not you choose to use the same expression I did.

Calm down I wasn’t being tetchy or anything. I agree

Post #511867  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:20 pm 

Looks like Stan's going to court in St. Louis over the Rams move to LA. Not going to arbitration as he hoped. Among other things.

https://www.101espn.com/2020/04/21/an-i ... -in-court/

Post #511868  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:31 pm 

richie wrote:
So many if's and buts re finishing the season. My proposal would be to finish this season however long it takes and once fans can go to watch the games. So if it takes til January/February, then so be it. Scrap all European club competitions including internationals. Scrap the Euros next year. Then kick off as normal August 2021 with the European comps as well. For the time being until further notice, only season ticket holders would be allowed to attend matches. I know realistically this won't happen.

The idea of playing loads of matches behind closed doors is a bit of a nonsense really. One off games are fine but a whole batch of them is just absurd. I honestly couldn't care about any of them, results wise. Or just null and void the season now and move on. The PL are desperate to conclude this season with so much money at stake though.

Hi Richie,

I can't see how theatres, pubs, cinema's and sport stadiums can possibly open until there is a vaccine, effective treatment or the virus just mutates into something weaker and gradually ebbs away.

Any mass gatherings would provide the perfect environment for a wave of new cases. Unless of course the govt decides to let some public places open up so that the virus gradually moves through the population whilst remaining below the level that would overwhelm the NHS. A very risky policy.

Post #511869  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:00 pm 

Niall wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
That may not be surprising as one of the major problems for spread in Italy and Spain was believed to be the Atalanta Valencia first leg CL game.

And the Liverpool vs Athletico Madrid game is coming under more scrutiny as well.

Have not read that but it makes sense. Just look at say 3000 away supporters crammed together. A few carriers and then look at before and after matches. Some people stay a little longer either end and eat and drink and stay in accommodation. Fly. High transmission rates possible. Then look at the home supporters and it becomes very scary.

Being reported here that the death rates appear to be much higher than reported in the UK. It is distressing.

Post #511870  Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:30 pm 

socrates wrote:
richie wrote:

Hi Richie,

I can't see how theatres, pubs, cinema's and sport stadiums can possibly open until there is a vaccine, effective treatment or the virus just mutates into something weaker and gradually ebbs away.

Any mass gatherings would provide the perfect environment for a wave of new cases. Unless of course the govt decides to let some public places open up so that the virus gradually moves through the population whilst remaining below the level that would overwhelm the NHS. A very risky policy.

I am not sure whether it is virus fatigue or just lethargy but at the moment I don't care when football starts again. More particularly I don't care if they ever start CL and Europa again. Maybe I will get back into it when it happens but at the moment I am thinking a little more locally.

Took in a new dog from a rescue situation, built a vegetable garden (haven't done one for 30 years) catch up on the phone with people, do groceries and get a takeaway coffee, exercise for me and the dog every day, learning watercolor painting, negotiate with the wife for the TV programs and that is it. I have a look on here and other places on the net including youtube which often has highlights of some great Arsenal victories but somehow or other I don't care who we are linked with for some silly transfer fee and if he wants double his wages. If there is one thing I would like is to spend some time with my son (we still ring him but he was inlockdown because of the flu) and for the aged care home where my mother resides to allow visitors again.

Post #511871  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:47 am 

Zed wrote:
Looks like Stan's going to court in St. Louis over the Rams move to LA. Not going to arbitration as he hoped. Among other things.

https://www.101espn.com/2020/04/21/an-i ... -in-court/

The only surprise for me was the city of St. Louis thinking they were 1. in a fair fight and 2. the NFL was going to choose St. Louis over L.A., the 2nd biggest media market, had no team there and I can think of multiple times they trying to move there. The road blocks have always been the league wanting the city to pay for part of it. Something they do to all cities. Billionaires asking tax payers to pay for them.

St. Louis has a strong case. If the NFL was smart they would have settled out of court long ago. My advice would have been to give St. Louis part of the revenue from the tv deal, merchandising over a certain length of time to compensate.

I think I said in a prior post I've never seen a big LA construction project come in anywhere close to near cost and in time. Ever. Just too many things involved in that. The city, county and state are involved and with that an encyclopedic set of rules that are sometimes at the whim of inspectors or an official. And unlike NYC, you don't have pay off officials as easily. In the old days at least, in NYC, the mob helped you, for a price, because they controlled literally all the unions involved in building and although costly, you could exact time constraints as part of that deal.

Not so in LA. Its a mess. Even down to the house level, if you ever seen any "flipping" houses for money shows, where there is always some local official saying this and that has to change.

I'm cheering for St. Louis. If nothing else for honour. Kroenke is a Missouri native, St. Louis is hometown, who helped move the team there for the pride of his home state and then effed them over for the sake of money.

The NFL could have granted St. Louis another franchise as it did with Baltimore, who moved their team, the Colts to Indianapolis but then later Baltimore got a new team called the Ravens. (Edgar Allen Poe lived in Baltimore).

I like how Arsenal got a mention in the article...hehehehe :42laughter:

Post #511872  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:02 am 

My guess is the season isn't resumed and we simply start a new season. Not like it didn't happen before in WW2 with leagues around the world. That said, when a new season starts and if Liverpool doesn't win it, I have to start believe they are simply cursed. LOL.

Odds are they will be champions or worse runners for the foreseeable future but its a funny old game. It wouldn't be inconceivable to think City would win almost all titles in the immediate future after Ferguson retired.

It would have been even more hilarious had they stayed unbeaten when league play was suspended.

Post #511873  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:50 am 

I personally am skeptical of ANY turnaround talk while Mustafi is on the payroll. I don't who comes or goes out. That's my barometer if they are serious.

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... r-18134156
'20/21 title is ours!' - Arsenal fans go nuts as Thomas Partey transfer talks are confirmed

Post #511874  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:03 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I personally am skeptical of ANY turnaround talk while Mustafi is on the payroll. I don't who comes or goes out. That's my barometer if they are serious.

'20/21 title is ours!' - Arsenal fans go nuts as Thomas Partey transfer talks are confirmed

Has it not crossed your mind that it possibly has zero to do with being serious? If he does stay it could have much more to do with Arteta rating Mustafi a lot more highly than you.

Post #511875  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:44 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Niall wrote:

Have not read that but it makes sense. Just look at say 3000 away supporters crammed together. A few carriers and then look at before and after matches. Some people stay a little longer either end and eat and drink and stay in accommodation. Fly. High transmission rates possible. Then look at the home supporters and it becomes very scary.

Being reported here that the death rates appear to be much higher than reported in the UK. It is distressing.

Of course it's distressing but they're not comparing like for like. If it isn't per million of population then what's the comparison?

eg https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... habitants/ UK in 4th place but compare how much of our population lives in densely populated areas to say France and there's another explanation.

Apologies if you're not interested :12hello-bye:

Post #511876  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:48 am 

Decaf wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

It seems we agree about one thing at least, Chris.

:58big-emoticons: Loving the unity :12hello-bye:

Post #511877  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:25 am 

Two things are visibly different from yesteryears and today. 1. goal celebrations. Raised hands. Teammates coming over. That's it. 2. Fouls that would be a booking no question today were a waived off or a 'play on' in those days. Crazy. haha

Post #511878  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:38 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Atletico have had a long interest in Lacazette. This summer could see very little net spend by many clubs, so a swap deal (although these are generally rare) could work.

If its turns out that the summer transfer market is more of a stick with what you've got for most clubs I think we can certainly be one of the teams who can be much stronger next year. More clubs will be relying on their youth system, and the upturn in performances and attitude since Arteta came is noticeable. I'm not saying what we have is good enough to get us top 4 but I think we'd certainly improve on 9th!

Post #511879  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:12 am 

I wasn't aware of Atletico's interest in Lacazette. They are big enough where he wouldn't be opposed to a move I would assume. A swap would be ideal...and we send Mustafi as well as a 'bonus' :42laughter:

Post #511880  Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:22 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I wasn't aware of Atletico's interest in Lacazette. They are big enough where he wouldn't be opposed to a move I would assume. A swap would be ideal...and we send Mustafi as well as a 'bonus' :42laughter:

I hope we give Mustafi a new contract and he stays for years. Firstly, he’s improved greatly under Arteta so is arguably an adequate squad player. Secondly, just to annoy a tosser like you.

[ 571656 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12794, 12795, 12796, 12797, 12798, 12799, 12800 ... 14292  Next