Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf and 346 guests

Post #511361  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:58 pm 

The question is still how do we get out of this situation? When will they lift then 'instruction' to not go out apart from for the 4 reasons that are acceptable.

I'd love to hear how you would do it and when. 3 months 6 months a year?

Do we wait for an antiviral?

Post #511362  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:42 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
The question is still how do we get out of this situation? When will they lift then 'instruction' to not go out apart from for the 4 reasons that are acceptable.

I'd love to hear how you would do it and when. 3 months 6 months a year?

Do we wait for an antiviral?

You flatten the curve through temporary social distancing. Follow what China have done. There seems to be control there now

The isolation can’t go on for ever but for now stay home and protect the NHS.

Post #511363  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:58 pm 

To do this don't we need a total lockdown a la Wuhan ie nobody moves out of their homes/prisons?

Or is there another way I am not aware of?

Post #511364  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:23 pm 

Four episodes in I'm enjoying 'The English Game' on NetFlix. It seems to be not just about the transformation of football from amateurism to professionalism but also a commentary on English society and class system as well, at the risk of sounding 'preachy'.

Post #511365  Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:40 pm 

In the NetFlix series, they showed the FA cup final. I didn't know it was represented of a real final so I decided to look up a bit of history. I knew we lost to Cardiff City in the final but I had no idea it was our first one. And it was the first time a Welsh team won it.

Looking at some of the finals, I have to imagine the '77 final between Man Utd and Liverpool was of gargantuan proportions considering their histories.

Post #511366  Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:14 am 

Not a bad attack that season.

Post #511367  Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:40 am 

Flattening the curve is just about slowing the spread. If people are self isolating it slows it otherwise if you just carry on the spread is quicker and more intense.

Here is an article from our ABC (not the American one) about the exponential growth. How else other than these measures can you protect our health services in any worthwhile way. We have taken the doubling of the virus from 3 days to 6-7 days - it matters. Some of the early days when Boris and Donald were in denial are already harmful to your fight.

The problem is that a lot of people think economic growth is the only thing that matters. They seem to have missed the fact that if we do it there way and allow natural selection their markets may very well be totally *%^@** anyway. Obviously to them the bank balance is more important than people.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-05/ ... d/12122214

On another important issue - I am not a female as you can tell from the mansplaining.

Post #511368  Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:50 am 

Now Cummings is probably chucking Matt Hancock under a bus or lining him up as a sacrificial bunny.

In the times today ...

Attachments:

Post #511369  Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:31 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

On another important issue - I am not a female as you can tell from the mansplaining.

:1laughter:

Post #511370  Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:33 am 

Zed wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:
My two pence worth.

Genocide is a very specific word with specific meaning that in no way covers any action which could result in the deaths of *only* 1-3% of the population, and then at random. I think it's very wrong to use such a powerful and specific word so wrongly.

I also don't think that the current HMG policy could be described as eugenics either because there's no specificity to who catches this/dies from it. Also with the elderly being both the most at risk and the most likely to vote Tory it would be a ridiculous concept to pursue.

But, and it is a big but, we have a government led by people who do believe in eugenics. People who do believe that their genes make them superior. People who do believe that there is an underclass which has no productive use to the economy. People who look down on those who didn't have the advantages they had and see them as lesser.

Have these beliefs influenced (and led to) to the current situation? Absolutely. The callous disregard for the number of deaths that current policy will cause is an obvious result of that. But underlying beliefs leading to a situation is not the same as practicing an actual policy.

What we're seeing now could be better described as the clearest example of the continuation of the anarcho-capitalism we've endured for a decade. A decision was made to support the economy over the population. Also political decisions were made to not take the advantages of supply offered by the EU at any cost. Any cost. Herd immunity was a stupid idea from the start as this type of policy has only ever worked in conjunction with a vacine - ironically they gave the examples of polio and smallpox to illustrate how herd immunity works. Taken down to basics the policy was to let the virus run through the country in the shortest possible time regardless of the deaths this would cause. In fact this policy was encouraged by government actually saying people should go out an catch it! Cheltenham was allowed to go ahead when it was obviously a terrible idea (and you don't need hindsight for that) with government advice saying it was fine. LTG (I believe) said he wouldn't have gone there, and neither would I, but people were being advised by a government they trust (!) that it wasn't a problem. People were actually being told to go out and catch it like a '70s chicken pox party. The one break we had in this was actually Arteta testing positive and that leading to football being cancelled because otherwise upwards of a million people would have gone to football that weekend, not to mention all the people that are around football matches. The number of vectors that would have created would have been horrific.

So for me, whilst this policy is proposed and supported by eugenisists, and influenced by that belief, I don't see how it could specifically be called a eugenic policy as there is no precision to it which is at the core of eugenics.

Genocide can apply in a sense to mean a complete decimation, annihilation focused on a specific entity. Whether or not this C19 was specifically created and unleashed to target a specific entity is left to be seen. If the purpose was for culling the population then partly for now, it's created massive controlled global isolation.
There are some who feel this was deliberate. A term a friend used was germ warfare.

Jesus *%^@*** Christ. If it was germ warfare don't you think it would be targeted to get the ones you're going to war with. Tell your mate he's a *%^@*** idiot.

Post #511371  Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:42 am 

Ash wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Your essentially saying people cant be subjective ?

This is incorrect. I hate the current government but think Matt Hancock has been very good,

Unless your brain has been totally washed like the forum imbecile some people are capable of a viewpoint without being tribal.

exileds post for example, he’s being subjective. That’s not some
View he’s forcing himself to find. He’s not been listening to an echo chamber it’s just what he thinks.

I think you mean objective. But anyway Exiled has a preference and is rightly quite emotional about the particular circumstances in his life. It’s nothing against him, it’s the situation we’re all in really, but he’s not the example of a objective opinion I was thinking about. A well informed political commentator who doesn’t have a horse in any particular race would be.

How many posters for example vote the way their dad’s did? I did, and I realised it later in life, and then realised the constituency I’m in you could put a blue rosette on my flaccid penis and it’d still be a landslide for it, so it makes no difference which way I vote.. ‘Yes, the honorable MP Ash’s Penis..’ the speaker would say.

It’s like with football. If someone said to me, yes but you’re an Arsenal fan you can’t be objective, ‘Yes’ I’d say, ‘Guilty as charged.’

But football doesn’t matter so we can all get away, sort of, with being twats, politics isn’t the same, and honestly I think we’re going to have to find a way to talk about what’s going on without descending into all the the party political stuff, because this is a shitshow.

Indeed. Govts have been handling better and worse the globe over. Nothing to do with policy but to do with brain matter and leadership. Which one had the right of it is yet to be seen. Either way it doesn't matter. The impact will be huge and not much either polar of political beliefs makes any difference.

Post #511372  Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:48 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
Last word on this from me. I think the word you maybe should be using is massacre. Genocide is the mass extermination of a specific group and was specifically coined to describe the atrocities of the Nazi party and give a name to what Churchill had called 'a crime without a name' (think that quote is right). For me to use it in this case is a devaluation of what the word really means and just plain wrong.
Should it be proved the government deliberately chose to allow the deaths of our people then perhaps 'crime against humanity' is more applicable? In his book East West Street, which coincidentally I have just begun to read, Phillipe Sands poses the question what is the difference between CAH and genocide? He argues that genocide is the killing of many with the intention of destroying a particular group of people, whereas CAH is part of a systematic plan which results in the killing of individuals. He argues it comes down to intent. So to apply the term genocide to the government's virus policy it would have to be absolutely clear that their was intent to destroy a specific group within the population. This hardly seems to be the case. The charge of CAH would be hard to sustain too.

Post #511373  Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:55 pm 

Ash wrote:
...How many posters for example vote the way their dad’s did? I did, and I realised it later in life, and then realised the constituency I’m in you could put a blue rosette on my flaccid penis and it’d still be a landslide for it...
Stop talking about Michael Gove.

Post #511374  Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:56 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Zed wrote:
Genocide can apply in a sense to mean a complete decimation, annihilation focused on a specific entity. Whether or not this C19 was specifically created and unleashed to target a specific entity is left to be seen. If the purpose was for culling the population then partly for now, it's created massive controlled global isolation.
There are some who feel this was deliberate. A term a friend used was germ warfare.

Jesus *%^@*** Christ. If it was germ warfare don't you think it would be targeted to get the ones you're going to war with. Tell your mate he's a *%^@*** idiot.

:58big-emoticons:
I just can't imagine what the point would be.

And if it was clearly neither Trump nor Johnson were in on it!

OMG maybe it was concocted by the deep state to discredit these duly elected leaders!!

And the fake news outlets ... I can see it now .. secret laboratories in the basement of the NYT!!!

Post #511375  Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:00 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Ash wrote:
...How many posters for example vote the way their dad’s did? I did, and I realised it later in life, and then realised the constituency I’m in you could put a blue rosette on my flaccid penis and it’d still be a landslide for it...
Stop talking about Michael Gove.

oo-er ouch! :laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #511376  Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:37 pm 

Heres a good news story. Kyle Walker keeping it up for England. Idiot - but he learnt everything at his previous club.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/f ... s-lockdown

Post #511377  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:45 am 

Andrew Neill on twitter

"Final note: Deaths registered in England and Wales in week 12 (w/e 20 March) decreased from 11,019 in week 11 to 10,645. This is 72 more deaths than the five-year average of 10,573. So week 12 was when deaths started to overtake 5-year average for first time"

Talks a lot of sense for a reporter....................

Post #511378  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:24 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Andrew Neill on twitter

"Final note: Deaths registered in England and Wales in week 12 (w/e 20 March) decreased from 11,019 in week 11 to 10,645. This is 72 more deaths than the five-year average of 10,573. So week 12 was when deaths started to overtake 5-year average for first time"

We won't know until after the event what the consequence of a lackadaisical approach will be --whether this is 'a lot of sense' or irresponsibility.

My cousin was trapped in Turkey and managed to get back to the UK last week. She had to go via Minsk of all places and spend a night in the airport. There is no lockdown there--the president has advised people to drink lots of vodka and get lots of exercise, presumably not in that order.

She was very surprised arriving at Gatwick - no checks on the passengers for the virus and no information! She just walked out of the terminal and caught a taxi!

Post #511379  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:26 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Andrew Neill on twitter

It’s an interesting stat and reading it would mislead you to think the measures being taken are pointless.

Remember though the restrictions are preventing the drastic increase in new cases. We only have 47k ish confirmed and from that about 5 thousand people have died.

Imagine if we had a million cases ? Around 70 thousand people could have died. The 5 year average goes totally out the window, Healthcare gets over whelmed and then the percentage death rate versus confirmed cases piles up.

Post #511380  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:17 am 

Okay but where are all the deaths from flu, why are they not being recorded or are they as Covid deaths?

Very strange imo.

Post #511381  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:04 am 

Sobering honesty from a Republican strategist. I've always maintained the Republicans win because they are the minority party demographically and therefore must be better. And better doesn't equate to ethics or morals. Better by an 'any means necessary' type of politicking. They only have the majority of one demographic niche. The Democrats on the other hand do not have the stomach for such a fight. They will cannibalize their own and use Republican tactics within the party (Sanders in both 2016 and 2020, providing Clinton's campaign with questions prior to a Dem debate, etc.), but refuse to get into the mud with with Republicans in the general election partly because their is that moralist wing of the party that won't go along and partly because they simply know they can't beat the Republicans at their own dishonest and dirty game. Like all countries, including the UK, you can find ample reasons to critique each party, but one is always worse than the other.

Post #511382  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:17 am 

I miss football but the pandemic has made me not be upset or angry over it. I just have to replace that part of my life with other things.
I've always tried to live a healthy lifestyle but now its kicked into high gear. My love for chocolate is somewhere between Fabregas and Brazilian women's volleyball players. I'm trying to give up chocolate. It's been hard. Withdrawal pains has made me more sympathetic to opiod abusers than I've ever been.
I'm waiting on a Covid-19 test just to make sure and this may sound crazy but I'm hoping I have it but I'm asymptomatic. Not having it at all, I don't know how my body will respond when the inevitable happens. And I think its pretty much inevitable 99% of us in the western world will be exposed to it eventually. Not knowing how my body will respond to it is the question I don't want answered.
The other major concern is the aftermath. How will we as a people change? How will we have to change? I think there are some possible positive after effects. I think its possible we become more concerned about climate change for example. Seemingly unrelated but I think a tangential connection because of how it could impact us globally. A more direct effect is the thawing of permafrost areas that have kept microbes we are not able to fight off.

Post #511383  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:20 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Okay but where are all the deaths from flu, why are they not being recorded or are they as Covid deaths?

Very strange imo.

Public Health England estimates that on average 17,000 people have died from the flu in England annually between 2014/15 and 2018/19. However, the yearly deaths vary widely from a high of 28,330 in 2014/15 to a low of 1,692 in 2018/19. Public Health England does not publish a mortality rate for the flu though.

Now imagine how many people actually get the flu versus have Covid at the moment as a percentage of the population. This is what they are scared about, the spread.

Saying people are over reacting about Covid is as dangerous as anti vaccers, idiots screaming at 5G masts etc etc

Post #511384  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:23 am 

Some good news, maybe not so but justifies reality of EU situation, from Covid 19 virus:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/12 ... -of-the-EU

Quote:
Italy's EU membership in doubt as voters vent fury over 'useless' EU coronavirus help

Post #511385  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:23 am 

I took the test last Thursday and they said it would be 3-4 days for results and i was surprised to get it back within minutes after my post, and negative. Which surprised me since I have been in 3 countries in the last few months and around a fair number of Chinese.

Anyway, I've been wearing a mask in public. I wash upon entering my room. I walk the 6 flights of stairs at least once a day rather than the elevator in my hotel. I do push ups (press ups to you guys) a few times a day. The health clubs are closed but I do a daily regimen, go for a nice walk as well, and take a slew of various supplements, which I was doing any way. The first order of business in the near future is to find out if any pre-existing maladies exist. Both my parents have diabetes so I have to assume I am predisposed and probably have it mildly based on my age.

I don't expect too many people over 50 to continue their present lifestyle if that includes high cholesterol foods, or anything that hampers general health.

I also think eventually, some enterprising company will come out with a Covid-19 home testing kit. That's practically a given.

Post #511386  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:24 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Andrew Neill on twitter

At 20th March, C19 deaths were less than 200. They are now at almost 5k. The curve gradient has increased significantly in the last two weeks.

Post #511387  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:34 am 

Ash wrote:
A strategy for “herd immunity” isn’t genocide, nor is it happening, why are you talking about it???

Every poster who is criticising or supporting this govt has done so in every mention of them they’ve ever made, and if the other lot were in vice versa the same same thing would be happening. So why do you think anything you’re saying carries any weight? Politics is sectarian and reveals itself as such when people think they’re making objective points supported by facts, when they’re actually finding facts to support their emotional decision. Case in point, this forum.

As for the rest of your post - it saddens me that you don't think anyone is capable of being objective but does beg the question why you bother to read/post on any forums.

You're wrong, many people are very capable of being objective in their views. I'd appreciate it if you's tell me what wasn't objective in my post that you refer to later on this page rather than just dismissing absolutely every view without engaging.

Post #511388  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:37 am 

Ash wrote:
A well informed political commentator who doesn’t have a horse in any particular race would be.

I take it he'd be riding a unicorn as they don't exist either.

Post #511389  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:47 am 

Decaf wrote:
She was very surprised arriving at Gatwick - no checks on the passengers for the virus and no information! She just walked out of the terminal and caught a taxi!
We recently cut short our trip to USA and Canada and had the same experience at Heathrow. Far from being checked or questioned about the virus, it was the fastest we have ever gone through security.

Post #511390  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:12 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
Ash wrote:
A strategy for “herd immunity” isn’t genocide, nor is it happening, why are you talking about it???

Every poster who is criticising or supporting this govt has done so in every mention of them they’ve ever made, and if the other lot were in vice versa the same same thing would be happening. So why do you think anything you’re saying carries any weight? Politics is sectarian and reveals itself as such when people think they’re making objective points supported by facts, when they’re actually finding facts to support their emotional decision. Case in point, this forum.

As for the rest of your post - it saddens me that you don't think anyone is capable of being objective but does beg the question why you bother to read/post on any forums.

You're wrong, many people are very capable of being objective in their views. I'd appreciate it if you's tell me what wasn't objective in my post that you refer to later on this page rather than just dismissing absolutely every view without engaging.

I’ve never seen you be anything but critical of this government though that’s my point. I read and post on this - by design - biased forum because it’s about football and arsenal which every now and then meanders this way and that in a mostly relaxed kind of way.

People on the subject of politics always think they’re being objective, the way I’ve seen stuff used over the last few weeks has been pretty self serving for which ever point people want to make.

Objectivity also requires correct information which people are very choosy about what they take in and how they take it. No one knows the internal works of government nor the personal motivations of each member of cabinet nor how much a post on the theoretical employment of an arm of eugenics made years ago is affecting public policy, no matter how much they pretend to. And to use that to build some kind of argument on is so laughable I can’t believe anyone has the gall to say that’s remotely objective when they loudly bang the drum for the other side anyway.

Post #511391  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:42 pm 

Ash wrote:
I’ve never seen you be anything but critical of this government though that’s my point. I read and post on this - by design - biased forum because it’s about football and arsenal which every now and then meanders this way and that in a mostly relaxed kind of way.

People on the subject of politics always think they’re being objective, the way I’ve seen stuff used over the last few weeks has been pretty self serving for which ever point people want to make.

Objectivity also requires correct information which people are very choosy about what they take in and how they take it. No one knows the internal works of government nor the personal motivations of each member of cabinet nor how much a post on the theoretical employment of an arm of eugenics made years ago is affecting public policy, no matter how much they pretend to. And to use that to build some kind of argument on is so laughable I can’t believe anyone has the gall to say that’s remotely objective when they loudly bang the drum for the other side anyway.
It is surely perfectly legitimate to criticise any government without necessarily banging the drum for any other side. The government, of whatever political party, should be held to account by the citizens it is supposed to represent. I haven't been following the politics of the UK's virus issue that closely, but generally it seems to me there has been no major point-scoring by the opposition parties. That may come later depending upon the way things go.

Post #511392  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:49 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Ash wrote:

It is surely perfectly legitimate to criticise any government without necessarily banging the drum for any other side. The government, of whatever political party, should be held to account by the citizens it is supposed to represent. I haven't been following the politics of the UK's virus issue that closely, but generally it seems to me there has been no major point-scoring by the opposition parties. That may come later depending upon the way things go.

Of course it’s legitimate, it’s necessary. Kier Starmer made some points yesterday saying he’d obviously support the govt if stronger measures were necessary, but that key workers which we can all now identify are under supported, under valued and under paid, in which he has a point as far as I can see. The points scoring and identity politics has been confined to the Gleiber forum.

Post #511393  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:35 pm 

RIP Pussy Galore...aka Honor Blackman

Post #511394  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:26 pm 

Completely disagree on the keeper

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/the-w ... ings-97194
Our XI of Arsène Wenger's worst Arsenal signings is truly shocking

Post #511395  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:42 pm 

Boris Johnson getting it really makes it hit home that it has no respect of station or class.

Post #511396  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:55 pm 

Guardiola’s mother has died with it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... ty-manager

Post #511397  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:37 pm 

Yes this is serious. The debate about wether the city game should take place seems long ago.

This isn’t flu, if you think it is take a look at the video.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-52 ... g-covid-19

Post #511398  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:06 pm 

I see Boris is in ICU. Given initially his policy was the herd mentality, should he not now refuse treatment and see if he survives.

Post #511399  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:13 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I see Boris is in ICU. Given initially his policy was the herd mentality, should he not now refuse treatment and see if he survives.

If that’s mean as humorous it seems in rather bad taste.

Post #511400  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:24 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Boris Johnson getting it really makes it hit home that it has no respect of station or class.

Same applies to Prince Charles.

[ 571980 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12782, 12783, 12784, 12785, 12786, 12787, 12788 ... 14300  Next