Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 112 guests

Post #510561  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:35 pm 

The US stock markets are in a technical recession (20% drop). The share markets hit an all time high in February and has dropped into a recession from a high faster than any other time in American history. The unknown for this and what makes this a unique event is that past crashes were economic or war driven. This one is medical. The Spanish Flu happened while WW1 was happening so another event masked it to some extent.

Anyway, with this being health related, its affecting society very differently than any other economic event. You could get to a point where people mistreat each other socially. You may have a regular cold or flu and are on a bus or train and sneezing and coughing and being told to get off. Or asked to leave markets, etc.

Taxis and Uber asking (more like ordering) you to leave. Public gatherings become scarce. I have a friend of a friend who works in the ticket office of the Staples Center in LA where the basketball and ice hockey sides play and he's been told there is no work and for now he is on paid leave but fears that won't last for long.

Trump is talking about suspending mortgage payments, etc. "bread and circuses' type of leadership. My guess is and I say this with sadness and pray it doesn't come to fruition but a rise in domestic terrorism. You know what happens when Americans get triggered. Literally. If Biden wins, I can see Trump stoking the fire and some of his supporters going 'postal' we call it. I can see even if Trump wins. He will blame the opposition. He was blaming Obama recently for some inaction that is related to this crisis. Not true but Fox News is not going to correct it. The fact is he made response teams for pandemics redundant in his budget for tax cuts to the rich. Many research scientists, etc, who study these things left the government in his term. He handed over the leadership to Pence, to blame him later and a man who wouldn't prepare for HIV cases as governor and saw a dramatic increase in infections. The same man who takes a biblical view of things and not science.

Anyway, football wise, we could end up seeing Liverpool win the title to an empty stadium. We may even see the first club in recent memory (yours not mine..lol) not to have a victory parade.

Post #510562  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:48 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

Is this fake? I’m persuaded.

I am writing to you from Bergamo, Italy, at the heart of the coronavirus crisis. The news media in the US has not captured the severity of what is happening here. I am writing this post because each of you, today, not the government, not the school district, not the mayor, each individual citizen has the chance, today to take actions that will deter the Italian situation from becoming your own country’s reality. The only way to stop this virus is to limit contagion. And the only way to limit contagion is for millions of people to change their behavior today.

If you are in Europe or the US you are weeks away from where we are today in Italy.

I can hear you now. “It’s just a flu. It only affects old people with preconditions”

There are 2 reasons why Coronavirus has brought Italy to it’s knees. First it is a flu is devastating when people get really sick they need weeks of ICU – and, second, because of how fast and effectively it spreads. There is 2 week incubation period and many who have it never show symptoms.

When Prime Minister Conte announced last night that the entire country, 60 million people, would go on lock down, the line that struck me most was “there is no more time.” Because to be clear, this national lock down, is a hail mary. What he means is that if the numbers of contagion do not start to go down, the system, Italy, will collapse.

Why? Today the ICUs in Lombardy are at capacity – more than capacity. They have begun to put ICU units in the hallways. If the numbers do not go down, the growth rate of contagion tells us that there will be thousands of people who in a matter of a week? two weeks? who will need care. What will happen when there are 100, or a 1000 people who need the hospital and only a few ICU places left?

On Monday a doctor wrote in the paper that they have begun to have to decide who lives and who dies when the patients show up in the emergency room, like what is done in war. This will only get worse.

There are a finite number of drs, nurses, medical staff and they are getting the virus. They have also been working non-stop, non-stop for days and days. What happens when the drs, nurses and medical staff are simply not able to care for the patients, when they are not there?

And finally for those who say that this is just something that happens to old people, starting yesterday the hospitals are reporting that younger and younger patients – 40, 45, 18, are coming in for treatment.

You have a chance to make a difference and stop the spread in your country. Push for the entire office to work at home today, cancel birthday parties, and other gatherings, stay home as much as you can. If you have a fever, any fever, stay home. Push for school closures, now. Anything you can do to stop the spread, because it is spreading in your communities – there is a two week incubation period – and if you do these things now you can buy your medical system time.

And for those who say it is not possible to close the schools, and do all these other things, locking down Italy was beyond anyone’s imagination a week ago.

Soon you will not have a choice, so do what you can now.

Please share.

What's the source of this ltg?

Post #510563  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:19 pm 

I get what Ash is saying about all the OTT media hype. But, then again, who actually really knows how many are infected, died, cured? The CDC and WHO would/should one would assume, but leave option for error. Precautions yes, mass hysteria, no.
Anyone recall the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic? Given this was 100 yrs ago, it was quite catastrophic at the time.
A few interesting facts...

1918 Flu Pandemic That Killed 50 Million Originated in China, Historians Say. Patients lie in an influenza ward at a U.S. Army camp hospital in Aix-les-Baines, France, during World War I.

The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918, the deadliest in history, infected an estimated 500 millionpeople worldwide—about one-third of the planet's population—and killed an estimated 20 million to 50 million victims, including some 675,000 Americans.

COVID-19 may never reach such proportions as the 1918 Pandemic did. If it's suppressed early.

Post #510564  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:26 pm 

If there ever is an Ian Wright movie, Wesley Snipes has to get the role and work on his London accent. Why? I clicked on to an interview and thought it was Ian at first. :42laughter:

Post #510565  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:36 pm 

The US lost more soldiers to the flu than the war in WW1.

Post #510566  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:41 pm 

What are the consequences of over exaggerating Covid19 in terms of precautions weighed against taking precautions that wouldn't impact the economy? Which one is the one you go with? Pros and cons of each? Is a possible recession the likes of which is bigger than 2008 worth it? Or we risk pandemic by taking nominal precautions that won't impact the economy.

Post #510567  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:58 pm 

Apologies for banging on about the 1918 Pandemic.
Another scenario of how it started....

More recently, experts have proposed a third hypothesis: The Spanish flu originated somewhere in northern China in late 1917 and swiftly moved to western Europe with the 140,000 Chinese laborers the French and British governments recruited to perform manual labor to free up troops for wartime duty.

Post #510568  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:00 pm 

Do people still not believe this is serious. ?

Despite the stock markets tanking, Italy being in a state of national emergency and it killing 3% of anyone it touches.

This is the thing, it hasn’t hit us yet. You can manage a few hundred cases but when 10 thousand have it and require medical attention what then?

Post #510569  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:49 pm 

People may be reading too much into the stats. People cannot look at numbers and say the numbers are only low why do we worry. Like the flu every year, thousands in Australia get it and never get reported or tested. The spread is the worry and the pressure on health services is immense. Plus there are probably many people with it, spreading it and who will never be reported. Sorting people from those with normal flu is a challenge. All precautions are not about stopping it but about slowing the spread.

I know there are those who will always say it is overblown and I wish them all a healthy time. But if you have elderly neighbours, parents or anyone with health issues you know then you should turn your mind to their welfare. If a country like China closes down, or a capitalist country like US takes these precautions there must be a real problem.

Post #510570  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:56 pm 

This is the best article explaining it

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavi ... d3d9cd99ca

After reading it you wonder what the hell the UK is doing. The tories have damaged our economy with brexit, know it and now have no resilience in any plan to do social distancing whilst people aren’t working

Post #510571  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:57 pm 

Some of the fouls from Liverpool players against Atletico were really bad and they got a lot of favours from the ref with cards.

Post #510572  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:15 pm 

john1 wrote:

A Facebook group of people that I know irl. As to the quote; who knows, but it seems plausible.

Post #510573  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:02 pm 

I've read that one possible source of the Spanish Flu was infected poultry.

Post #510574  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:22 pm 

Arteta tests positive

Post #510575  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:26 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
This is the best article explaining it

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavi ... d3d9cd99ca

After reading it you wonder what the hell the UK is doing. The tories have damaged our economy with brexit, know it and now have no resilience in any plan to do social distancing whilst people aren’t working

The govt and their scientific advisors are idiots. Lockdowns, cancelling of mass gatherings and social distancing should have been implemented immediately, slowing the spread of the virus and giving the NHS valuable time to prepare as well as time to make progress on vaccines and treatment protocols.

How is it that we did not follow the model of countries like Japan who have learnt the lessons of the SARS outbreak?

If the govt have got this badly wrong it could bring them down because people will not forgive or forget if thousands die as a result of any mishandling of the situation.

Post #510576  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:34 pm 

DHD wrote:
Arteta tests positive

Presumably that means no games for at least two weeks, assuming no one else test positive in the mean time. They might as well end the season now and let the country get on with more important matters like saving lives.

What is scary is the thought of the numbers of people who are probably suffering with the virus, or carrying it, but have minor symptoms so are not being tested.

What is even scarier is how such a virus with no known cure or vaccine can come out of nowhere and threaten to destabalize the world in a matter of weeks. Imagine if it was more virulent than it is, it could have wiped out millions in the blink of an eye.

Post #510577  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:34 pm 

Never mind playing in empty stadiums, we won’t play again for months.

Post #510578  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:40 pm 

At this time I can't see the Olympics going on and if it does it will be greatly affected in attendance by both supporters and possibly some athletes via their governments.

Post #510579  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:40 pm 

socrates wrote:
DHD wrote:
Arteta tests positive

Presumably that means no games for at least two weeks, assuming no one else test positive in the mean time. They might as well end the season now and let the country get on with more important matters like saving lives.

What is scary is the thought of the numbers of people who are probably suffering with the virus, or carrying it, but have minor symptoms so are not being tested.

Everything we know about covid19 tells us there will be others in the group who will test positive so it will be a rolling programme of 14 day isolation periods. Effectively, the team, the squad, the management, the staff - the entire Arsenal Football Club - are (or should be) in lockdown with immediate effect until at lest 14 days after the last sufferer has been given the all clear. And there will be other positives at other clubs.

Try organising a football season under those constraints.

Post #510580  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:47 pm 

socrates wrote:
DHD wrote:
Arteta tests positive

What is even scarier is how such a virus with no known cure or vaccine can come out of nowhere and threaten to destabalize the world in a matter of weeks. Imagine if it was more virulent than it is, it could have wiped out millions in the blink of an eye.

Spot on with both your posts. I think the real and hidden numbers are a mile apart. Can a normal person even get a test? In Australia we have missed the boat and will only test people who have been in contact with a person with it or have been overseas. Absolutely stupid. I doubt we have the leaders for this. Many sports should be cancelled or without spectators immediately. Instead we have leaders who are weak.

Post #510581  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:08 pm 

DHD wrote:

With Arteta being diagnosed as positive I presume the entire squad will have to self isolate. The Brighton game this weekend will be postponed and surely the Sheffield United cup tie as well, as the 22nd March is only ten days away. When will Arsenal next be allowed to play with the head coach having it? I hope this season is called off before Liverpool are mathematically certain of winning the league.

Post #510582  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:42 pm 

Greeny wrote:
In fact words almost fail me thinking about you, American Gooner.

I know it's not the "done thing", but I would just like to quote to the Forum a part of your Personal Message to me a few months back.

American Gooner wrote:
I don't even enjoy the site anymore. It's no where close to what it was 10 or 15 years ago. I stay mainly to piss off the trolls.

What you don't understand is that you are the troll, you stupid man.

You are the person who posts every day to wind up and annoy other posters on here.
I fail to understand how you have not been banned for trolling.

Just to be clear...
A "troll" is a person who intentionally antagonizes others online by posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content.

Why are you on this site? You ruin it for everyone.

And now you want Mustafi and Xhaka to have the corona virus, pass it on to their friends and family, and then have people they love die.

Please Warrior, ban this troll.

I don’t like members being banned, but I do agree American has gone too far with his post about Mustafi and Xhaka. The term ‘bad taste’ doesn’t even come close, and his personal message to you says it all. He is a troll himself who stays to stop members enjoying the forum. He’s succeeded too, as I know two people who have stopped participating here to avoid him, and I bet there are others who I don’t know outside the forum.

AG is slowly but surely killing the forum, and my guess is that’s his intention. I would thus understand it if Warrior chose to ban him and even though I don’t like people being banned, I’m going to be hypocritical and say I’d support such a decision.

Post #510583  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:47 pm 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

With Arteta being diagnosed as positive I presume the entire squad will have to self isolate. The Brighton game this weekend will be postponed and surely the Sheffield United cup tie as well, as the 22nd March is only ten days away. When will Arsenal next be allowed to play with the head coach having it? I hope this season is called off before Liverpool are mathematically certain of winning the league.

As I say Bern, it’s almost certain there will be more positives in such a tightly knit group of people who effectively all live, work and travel in the same space. Some will have been infected 14 days ago and others won’t yet have it - but sure as eggs is eggs, more will get it. That means at least 4 weeks and in all likelihood, much longer.

The bigger picture is a lot scarier though. The suggestion seems to be that whilst sufferers may be technically clear of symptoms and no longer infectious 14 days after contracting the virus, they are not recovered. It seems to take some people from 4 to 6 weeks to feel recovered - and they’re normal people, not highly tuned athletes for whom a runny poo will stop them playing. This is primarily a virus that attacks the respiratory system. People contract pneumonia, though mercifully, not everyone. But if an athlete’s lungs are shredded, how long will it take him to be able to reach the peak of physical condition required to play at the very highest level?

Short answer is that nobody knows but I’d bet it will be more that 4 to 6 weeks. If as seems likely, some of our players contract this virus, you’d fear for their careers.

Post #510584  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:54 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Greeny wrote:
In fact words almost fail me thinking about you, American Gooner.

I know it's not the "done thing", but I would just like to quote to the Forum a part of your Personal Message to me a few months back.

What you don't understand is that you are the troll, you stupid man.

You are the person who posts every day to wind up and annoy other posters on here.
I fail to understand how you have not been banned for trolling.

Just to be clear...
A "troll" is a person who intentionally antagonizes others online by posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content.

Why are you on this site? You ruin it for everyone.

And now you want Mustafi and Xhaka to have the corona virus, pass it on to their friends and family, and then have people they love die.

Please Warrior, ban this troll.

I don’t like members being banned, but I do agree American has gone too far with his post about Mustafi and Xhaka. The term ‘bad taste’ doesn’t even come close, and his personal message to you says it all. He is a troll himself who stays to stop members enjoying the forum. He’s succeeded too, as I know two people who have stopped participating here to avoid him, and I bet there are others who I don’t know outside the forum.

AG is slowly but surely killing the forum, and my guess is that’s his intention. I would thus understand it if Warrior chose to ban him and even though I don’t like people being banned, I’m going to be hypocritical and say I’d support such a decision.

AG’s thoughts on Mustafi and Xhaka are insensitive, to say the least.

I never really read AG’s post on football but I do find his stuff on American politics to be interesting.

Shot across the bows but please don’t ban.

Post #510585  Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:58 pm 

Brighton game off.

Sadly, I think that’s it for the EPL this season.

Emergency meeting of Premier League tomorrow - that’s Friday. Still Thursday here.

Post #510586  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:18 am 

DHD wrote:

I never really read AG’s post on football but I do find his stuff on American politics to be interesting.

Sorry DHD but a few posts here and there on American politics aren’t enough in my view to not ban him. His PM to Greeny indicates he’s trying to kill the forum, and slowly but surely I think he’s succeeding. People have been banned for less than AG is doing, in my view.

Post #510587  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:19 am 

Brighton game is off? Not a surprise given the present circumstances. If the situation doesn't stabilize and ease up, will the rest of the season be null and void?
Wouldn't want to be a Liverpool fan if that happens. But there are things bigger than football.

Post #510588  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:27 am 

It’s not just who’ll be champions. Who goes down in an incomplete season? Who come up?

Whatever happens, any records of the 2019-2020 season will have an asterisk.

Post #510589  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:37 am 

A few on here up late. Not surprised given that Arteta has contracted COVID-19. No game Saturday. Most likely many more will be stopped as it is. Can only wish MA a full recovery. As well as all players who have self-imposed isolation, and those who have escaped this virus. Emirates should be closed completely.

Post #510590  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:42 am 

if the season is made null and void, there will be no winners but in the larger context of what is happening, its a tough pill to swallow but under the circumstances what can you do?

Perhaps the same clubs play next season in a shortened season picking up where we left off. This of course doesn't do the Championship any good, 3 clubs will lose out. Perhaps financial compensation?

Everyone loses.

Post #510591  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:45 am 

Just landed in Dubai yesterday and I've been told I have to 'self quarantine' in the hotel for 14 days. New rule. No one is watching me come and go, it's on my word so far.

Post #510592  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:28 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Zed wrote:
Awhile ago it was mentioned that there seemed to be no info in regards to the Philippines. Well that's changed. Manilla is now on total lockdown, all air travel in-out stopped, any and all public gatherings banned, all schools closed for a month. This from Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte.

I'm very familiar with the Philippines. Probably the 2nd most country I've visited outside America. At the places I stay, I'd guess at least half were Chinese nationals. Mostly young people from there. So, it makes sense.
Still for a country with so many thousands of Chinese coming in, they "only" have 49 cases, which is surprising.
https://www.rappler.com/nation/254134-d ... ch-11-2020
In theory they should be on par with Iran and Italy. Logic dictates that.
Less than 50? They should consider themselves extremely lucky. They are taking the precaution of keeping it that low instead of reacting as Iran has when its gone to epidemic stages.

AG, you are directly equating Chinese = Virus Carrier. That is a view which is too simplistic. Based on your theory, and with reference to Iran and Italy, some Chinese would have caused their numbers to balloon. Read the news closely, understand where the cluster started at. Usually from places with mass gathering, especially places of worship (unfortunately).

Post #510593  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:39 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
DHD wrote:
Arteta tests positive

Any word on Mustafi and Xhaka? :1laughter:

This is sick

Post #510594  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:52 am 

long time gooner wrote:
john1 wrote:

A Facebook group of people that I know irl. As to the quote; who knows, but it seems plausible.

https://www.facebook.com/cristina.higgi ... 3212885189

Post #510595  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:14 am 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

Sorry DHD but a few posts here and there on American politics aren’t enough in my view to not ban him. His PM to Greeny indicates he’s trying to kill the forum, and slowly but surely I think he’s succeeding. People have been banned for less than AG is doing, in my view.

I’ve taken Private Eye for generations, Bern. Bad taste and outrage are a given. Over the years, I have vehemently disagreed with much that they’ve published, but I have never un-subscribed.

Post #510596  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:03 am 

The FA are usually not a favourite of mine but let me congratulate them on the decision not to play the Man City game. It was the correct decision in hindsight. If it prevents even the potential of players from another team being compromised it was a good decision.

Estimated that 1/4 Australians will get it. Everything will simply come to a halt. I would think the UK would expect the same if not worse. A wish for all those on the forum - may you and your loved ones survive these tough times.

Post #510597  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:15 am 

France 24 reports:
Chelsea's players and coaching staff were ordered into isolation as Callum Hudson-Odoi became the first Premier League player confirmed to have the new coronavirus late on Thursday.

It really is now becoming real to many people.

Post #510598  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:39 am 

Don’t ban AG. He may annoy some of you but just ignore if that’s the case. There have been far worse individuals on here than AG over the years.

Post #510599  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:47 am 

Don’t think you should ban him but my word he posts some bollocks. What’s the point of the forum if you can’t see others posts because you have blocked them.

I read his posts and don’t think he’s a well person.

Post #510600  Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:01 am 

On Arteta testing positive I just think the government and premier league are living in cloud cuckoo land. Even Jeremy Hunt says he is concerned about this approach. All sporting events are going to get shut down the government doesn’t have the bollocks to make the decision

I saw someone asking a questioning on twitter about what happens to players contracts from July 1 if the season gets cancelled. I mean ffs who cares, really who gives a *%^@ about some millionaires next pay check.

The only thing the government cares about is trying to limit the amount of time the self isolation occupies for the economy as the associated cost of shutting down is a lot. The deaths aren’t a consideration at all just the money. If you put people like this is charge of a country you will see the consequences. The irony of Boris press conference wasn’t lost on me yesterday, standing there flanked by 2 experts he completely delegated responsibility too to explain the decision making process.

Coronavirus is just a needless distraction, we’re all *%^@** anyway

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12762, 12763, 12764, 12765, 12766, 12767, 12768 ... 14269  Next