Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 98 guests

Post #509881  Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:56 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
On reflection I was quite wrong I understand all the words ....

board ... a hunk of timber or a bunch of lazy blowflies who sit around on their a*rse getting paid top $$$$$
cookies ... American for biscuits because they want desperately stamp their own mark on the English language
browser ...any animal like a giraffe , okapi , antelope who feed on leaves instead of grass .

I'm pretty sharp after all .

I tender exhibit 1 in the decline of the species.

Post #509882  Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:06 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

board ... a hunk of timber or a bunch of lazy blowflies who sit around on their a*rse getting paid top $$$$$
cookies ... American for biscuits because they want desperately stamp their own mark on the English language
browser ...any animal like a giraffe , okapi , antelope who feed on leaves instead of grass .

I'm pretty sharp after all .

at least I know the difference between a wheel and a carburetor .

If you are figuring on going to see " Ford v Ferrari ' ...... my advice don't bother .. Christian Bale plays the absolute dick throughout , Matt Damon never stops chewing gum . So much overhyped b**sh*t that never happened .

Post #509883  Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:11 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

If you are figuring on going to see " Ford v Ferrari ' ...... my advice don't bother .. Christian Bale plays the absolute dick throughout , Matt Damon never stops chewing gum . So much overhyped b**sh*t that never happened .

I wasn't. The title doesn't grab. But it's great to have one's decisions validated by such a font as yourself.

Post #509884  Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:43 pm 

It was never a problem with Mustafis all around play. Some of his actual passing and distribution for a centre back was very very good yesterday and possibly better than most centre halves.

It’s his brainfarts that are the issue, even now your just waiting for the next howler.

That all said I quite like the fact that he’s getting plenty of game time from Arteta. Shows there is no social hierarchy or preference on his thought process. If he builds back his confidence then great and worst case it looks good for prospective buyers he’s got game time.

Post #509885  Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:49 pm 

Unfortunately this is just a no brainier for other clubs. If he keeps up what he’s doing he will become one of the best players in the league.

Sign him now before he becomes unsellable type thing. He hasn’t got a ceiling that kid.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... o-21545436

Post #509886  Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:18 pm 

Leicester's form has fallen off a cliff, it has all coincided with Ndidi being out of the team. There are areas of our team to fix this summer but I'd throw £40m at Leicester for this guy. It is rare for Arsenal to shop in the premier league but this signing would make perfect sense.

We should be able to raise some money from player sales to boost the signing of a creative midfielder which should also be a priority in the summer.

Post #509887  Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:30 pm 

This is a test...

:7laughter: :26encouragement:

Post #509888  Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:47 pm 

Remember, you are a Gooner, Fabianski.

Post #509889  Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:13 pm 

I don't expect West Ham to maintain the lead. I'll be happy with a draw. That said, whenever I hear pundits speak of Liverpool, I don't think I've ever heard them say they are the presumptive champions. Its over. The league is done, dusted, cue up the Queen album and play 'that' song.

The only question is if they will go the rest of the season without a loss or draw. That's it.

Post #509890  Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:15 pm 

Imagine (I'd rather not) if Liverpool had been able to hold on to Suarez and Coutinho?

Post #509891  Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:25 pm 

Ah. Flapianski

Post #509892  Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:36 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Congratulations American you've done it again.

Post #509893  Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:39 pm 

Ho hum. I knew that I shouldn’t have started watching this when West Ham were leading. 3-2 now.

Post #509894  Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:55 pm 

Liverpool are doing my head in. Every team in history has an off-day, or a day when things don't go their way or the opposition score a couple of worldies or decisions go against them, but not this Liverpool team it seems.

I wouldn't mind but they do not even seem that great a side to me and if they go unbeaten the noise from the scousers will be unbearable.

Post #509895  Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:01 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Well I suppose the wheel was invented when you were young so you have an advantage. Not a great one for those type of movies but I enjoyed Senna. Never go to the cinema usually but did see 1917 recently and it was brilliant.

Post #509896  Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:06 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I know he’s always droning on about wanting Liverpool to lose, but you’d be forgiven for thinking he does it deliberately.

Post #509897  Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:36 pm 

Liverpool are in a precarious position. We could draw during our invincible season and its all well and good. Liverpool are so wound up a draw is like a loss to them it seems. They get into a similar situation, the right club will counter them and put in a 3rd under similar circumstances.

Post #509898  Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:41 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Imagine (I'd rather not) if Liverpool had been able to hold on to Suarez and Coutinho?

If they had they wouldn’t have half this current side because those 2 bought in over £200m in sales!!!

Post #509899  Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:46 pm 

socrates wrote:
Liverpool are doing my head in. Every team in history has an off-day, or a day when things don't go their way or the opposition score a couple of worldies or decisions go against them, but not this Liverpool team it seems.

I wouldn't mind but they do not even seem that great a side to me and if they go unbeaten the noise from the scousers will be unbearable.

I know what you mean. Tonight Fabianski has a terrible game, West Ham miss some 1v1s. It’s been the same in other games. They found it tough against sheff Utd and then the sheff Utd gk spills one through his legs for his only mistake this season. Watford missed open goals against them.
When I watched the best arsenal, Man U and city sides they seemed to just not give teams a chance. We’d have teams 3-0 down after 20 minutes. City were consistently beating teams by 3+ goals, totally dominant. This Liverpool side are capable of both but don’t do it that often, they do just keep finding a way to win games though.

Post #509900  Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:02 am 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

I know he’s always droning on about wanting Liverpool to lose, but you’d be forgiven for thinking he does it deliberately.

Morning Bern.

I know you're not a believer in how FFP is working but I thought this was an interesting read. It says Liverpool's resurgence was thanks to FFP and not despite it. Worth a read IMO.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/feb/22/liverpool-finanacial-fair-play-manchester-city-uefa

Post #509901  Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:06 am 

I think there's a touch of jealousy re Liverpool. Of course they have had some luck but to win 26 out of 27 games is a remarkable achievement whatever spin you put on it. They have a points tally that have won leagues and it's only February. Once they have won the title then the next thing is to do is remain unbeaten and possibly win all their remaining games. It may be that sub consciously they take their foot of the gas and slip up. They need four more wins to guarantee the prize. Could be fewer if City drop points and that will leave seven games to negotiate to remain unbeaten. I don't think they will win every game here on in but can see them going unbeaten. We have the opportunity to spoil things if they come to our place unbeaten. The pressure on them will be cranked up once they have secured the title and if still unbeaten.

Post #509902  Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:14 am 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
least I know the difference between a wheel and a carburetor .

I wasn't. The title doesn't grab. But it's great to have one's decisions validated by such a font as yourself.

:laughing7: Ease up on the font bit ...but the actual story itself was quite interesting Enzo Ferrari was broke ; courted Ford to buy the company , then basically told the Yanks to go f&*&& themselves and sold out to Fiat .
Henry Ford 2 got really p**ssed and vowed to bury the greasy wop at Le Mans ...finished up doing just that four years in a row ....

Bought myself a " new" car today .....Gunmetal grey 2007 Nissan Maxima .... drives like a dream ..3.5 litre V6 255hp ... I'm stoked .

Wife had her nose out of joint for a while because I didn't inform her of my intentions .

B **&*&^^cks ... who wears the tweeds in this house .

Post #509903  Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:20 am 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

If they had they wouldn’t have half this current side because those 2 bought in over £200m in sales!!!

You are right they brought in big money but we never know what would have happened if they had stayed. They were already dangerous and they likely would have bought well anyway. They have been very canny buyers. Not many misses in the transfer market.

Post #509904  Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:10 pm 

I heard we are not on speaking terms now.
https://www.businessinsider.com/donald- ... yal-2020-2

Post #509905  Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:11 pm 

So, if we do the unlikely thing of winning Europa and with City being banned, does the 6th place side go into the CL?

Post #509906  Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:52 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

You are right they brought in big money but we never know what would have happened if they had stayed. They were already dangerous and they likely would have bought well anyway. They have been very canny buyers. Not many misses in the transfer market.

Coutinho didn't fit in Klopp's style, they are a better team without him. All their Christmasses came at once when Barca offered £140m for him!
Suarez would excel in any team, but if they keep Suarez and don't have the Coutinho money they almost certainly don't have that money to spend on VvD and Allison. Yes they'd have bought another CB and GK but when you see how far ahead of the competition someone like VvD is, what are the guarantees they'd have found someone even half as good. Fabinho as well could have been out of reach.
The fact for me is Liverpool sold and bought well. I've no doubt if they'd kept those two mentioned above they'd still be a dangerous team, but an unbalanced one and certainly not scaling the heights they currently are

Post #509907  Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:10 pm 

Interesting view Rich. You may be right. How Coutinho would or wouldn't fit into Klopp's style, I confess I couldn't say for certain. Great players usually can fit in great sides though.

Post #509908  Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:15 pm 

This summer I don't think we are going to be able to keep Aubameyang, Lacazette, Martinelli together. One of them will be sold and it won't be Martinelli. Aubameyang or Lacazette probably. Of the two it may be Aubameyang pushing for a change and/or he is in demand by a top club, probably in Spain.

I hope Liverpool win the title as soon as possible. Why? It would make the rest of the season fairly moot with only the unbeaten streak to go after and after getting the title a bit of the desire to win is gone. With them not even getting draws, they are even more tightly wound. I can see them safely having a draw and instead of playing the rest of the game out, push for a win and get countered later. Or I hope.

Also, if they are still in the FA Cup and CL, they will be trying to go for history. Especially sticking it to Man Utd, that will make them focus more on those competitions and in weeks where there is a PL match with a cup match, they may take their eye off the ball in the league with the league already sewn up.

Post #509909  Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:35 pm 

With City out of the CL for a couple seasons, people are understandably sounding the death knell for them in terms of competing for other trophies.
Obviously they will likely be less likely to win the league or even FA Cup but I'm not as confident they won't win the title.
What remains to be seen is how this ban will affect their transfers in and out. Also, as we can see with City, its going to he hard for Liverpool to operate at this high rate next season. Mentally its asking for a whole lot. They will fall off at some point. A loss, a bad loss could trigger a few more bad results.
Another question, is if City gets worse as a result, what club(s) will emerge above them? There is still a visible gap between City and Man Utd, Tottenham, Chelsea and Leicester and obviously us. Of the aforementioned, I'd say Chelsea are the most well placed. They have a young, vibrant team. They are doing the youth movement that we were doing. I gotta admit Lampard is doing a better job than I thought he would. Also, they are going to be able to get into the transfer market. They still have money, lots of it. In theory, the 2nd most money in the league if you look at the owner.

I think we will be competitive. Everything depends on our transfers. We did well in January but we haven't benefited from it yet. When everyone is available and given time to gel under Arteta's system, we'll have a better idea of where we are.

Man Utd have decent players but OGS isn't getting the most out of them. My guess is if things don't improve in the course of next season he will be gone.

I am curious to see if Leicester can still maintain this level the rest of this season and next. Sheffield Utd is a revelation, punching above their weight. Happy for them. Hope it continues. Also, Everton is looking better under Ancelotti. The question is how much better can he get them to be?

Post #509910  Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:23 pm 

I read an article about Martinelli and Aubameyang not fitting in the same team with the current set up. Both coming in from that left side to make the 2nd striker. I disagree and think they can both play, Martinelli left and Aubameyang central and it would be fine, but it highlights how the shape of the team is so much more clear now with Arteta. We have a manager who has assessed the squad and worked out a system to get the best from those players. It may not be the way he wants to play if he was given a fee transfer windows to shape the team but he’s improved the here and now.

Tactically we have a left side bias with Xhaka dropping deep, Saka pushing on and Aubameyang pushing inside to make a second striker. This works as it plays to all 3’s strengths and hides their weaknesses. Xhaka gets time on the ball, Saka gets to bomb on with security behind and Aubameyang gets to time runs or ghost in to central goal scoring areas.

As well as those tactical tweaks you only need to see the players who were out of favour or in favour and how that has changed.
Xhaka, mustafi, Özil, nketiah, Saka at left back, even Pépé all firmly in favour. Guendouzi, AMN dropping out of favour.
Recently we’ve seen a couple of great performances by Ceballos after he didn’t get a look in for Arteta’s first 7 or so games.

The plan is clear and importantly the players are responding and performing better. The results took a while to come and there will be more bumps in the road and sticky performances but I no longer dread a matchday. I think Brighton at home was the low point, not only that we lost at home but that we were thoroughly outplayed all game, couldn’t get out of our half and allowing Brighton to knock it around like 1970 Brazil. No chance that result happens today

Post #509911  Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:15 pm 

Now there's this. Tickets start at £67.50, with VIP tickets going for £509.50.
Event benefits the Twinning Project Charity.

Attachments:

Post #509912  Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:34 pm 

richie wrote:
I think there's a touch of jealousy re Liverpool. Of course they have had some luck but to win 26 out of 27 games is a remarkable achievement whatever spin you put on it. They have a points tally that have won leagues and it's only February. Once they have won the title then the next thing is to do is remain unbeaten and possibly win all their remaining games. It may be that sub consciously they take their foot of the gas and slip up. They need four more wins to guarantee the prize. Could be fewer if City drop points and that will leave seven games to negotiate to remain unbeaten. I don't think they will win every game here on in but can see them going unbeaten. We have the opportunity to spoil things if they come to our place unbeaten. The pressure on them will be cranked up once they have secured the title and if still unbeaten.

They are fantastic and will be worthy champions and likely with an unbeaten season and record points tally but that doesn't mean that I see them as the best prem side ever.
For example, In City's 17/18 title season they won 13 games by 3 clear goals. Liverpool only have 6 so far. Liverpool have 13 games won by only a single goal. City won 10 games by a single goal all season.
City scored 5 or more on 6 occasions, Liverpool only have once so far.
I just see that City team of 17/18 as more dominant in individual games than this Liverpool team.

Also I think the quality of the league is particularly low this season. Of the traditional big 6:
City having their worst season for 4 seasons
Chelsea having a poor season and had a transfer ban and rookie manager
Man U perhaps just steadying a long period of decline and an unproven manager
Spurs with their worst season for 4 years, sacked their manager
and we all know this is Arsenal's worst season for 30 odd years
Teams like Leicester, wolves, sheff utd all having good seasons but their points tallies wouldnt be much to shout about if the big 6 had pulled their finger out. 3 seasons ago we got 5th on 75 points, the season before we had 4 fewer points but finished 2nd. I see this season with a lot of similarities to that Leicester title winning season - a huge lack of quality in the rest of the league.

Post #509913  Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:12 pm 

Things turned ugly for Chelsea very fast.

Post #509914  Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:15 pm 

What's Dein up to these days? As you all know I blame him for our present state. He did a lot of good...and unfortunately some bad as well.

Post #509915  Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:21 pm 

richie wrote:

What they have achieved so far can't be put into words. They are on an early 90s Milan type of form. There are no words to describe winning 26 of 27 games None. If anyone said it was possible no one would imagine it happening. No matter what happens from here on out....this run of games is historic.

There is no rule to how you get to that type of record, even if all the wins were own goals. It doesn't matter one bit. The fact it happened is enough.

I hope and pray they lose a game though. I cherished our invincible. I was captivated that whole season and saw one of the matches at Highbury myself. Special season for me personally. I thought'd I'd get to enjoy that record longer than it seems to be ending. :20hospitals:

Post #509916  Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:24 pm 

Smith-Rowe impressing for Huddersfield again tonight. 2 assists from the No. 10 position. Set up a goal for Chris Willock who has found his way to Huddersfield after his move to Benfica from us

Post #509917  Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:27 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
What's Dein up to these days? As you all know I blame him for our present state. He did a lot of good...and unfortunately some bad as well.

Blame is surely proportional. Dein lead Kroenke to buying a less than 10% holding in Arsenal. But it was definitely Fiszman who lead to Stan having his controlling interest. The main blame has to be levelled at Danny.

Post #509918  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:44 am 

FFS - Wenger telling others about how they should run their games against Bayern.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/26/arsene-w ... wsnow-feed

If we had regularly beaten Bayern he can give advice.

Post #509919  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:46 am 

Rich wrote:
Smith-Rowe impressing for Huddersfield again tonight. 2 assists from the No. 10 position. Set up a goal for Chris Willock who has found his way to Huddersfield after his move to Benfica from us

The Huddersfield fans seem pleased. Here are a few comments from one of their forums:

'Chuffed to bits with the result but a bit sad that I'll only see Emile Smith Rowe pull a Town shirt on a maximum of 11 more times. What a player.'

'Emile Smith Rowe will play for England. Only Chilwell comes close in terms of young talents we've had on loan. The kid is absolute quality.'

'He's got the X factor. The way he glides with the ball and moves away from groups of players is staggering. More surprisingly, given his Arsenal roots, is the shift he puts in.'

Post #509920  Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:01 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
FFS - Wenger telling others about how they should run their games against Bayern.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/26/arsene-w ... wsnow-feed

If we had regularly beaten Bayern he can give advice.

Hi Gaz,

Incredible comments really considering the comprehensive beatings that Bayern have dished out to us.

We regularly lost the midfield battle against all manner of opposition let alone CL teams.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12745, 12746, 12747, 12748, 12749, 12750, 12751 ... 14269  Next