Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 102 guests

Post #508961  Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:35 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Husband who has just come in from repairing the V8 'I read on the internet that a dash of penguin urine plus a large helping of semen from an 8 year old seal can cure anything. Wasn't easy going collecting the samples but I am resilent. I refuse to pay for anything from the bloody chemist. Hes a witch doctor.'

As much of a witch doctor as the person who makes that claim about “a dash of penguin urine plus a large helping of semen from an 8 year old seal”? Does a single ejaculation provide enough for a large helping, or do you need to combine the semen from multiple ejaculations? And why does the seal have to be eight years old? What’s different about it from a seven or nine year old seal?

Post #508962  Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:50 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Husband who has just come in from repairing the V8 'I read on the internet that a dash of penguin urine plus a large helping of semen from an 8 year old seal can cure anything. Wasn't easy going collecting the samples but I am resilent. I refuse to pay for anything from the bloody chemist. Hes a witch doctor.'

As much of a witch doctor as the person who makes that claim about “a dash of penguin urine plus a large helping of semen from an 8 year old seal”? Does a single ejaculation provide enough for a large helping, or do you need to combine the semen from multiple ejaculations? And why does the seal have to be eight years old? What’s different about it from a seven or nine year old seal?

Yes Bernard, these are the questions we're all asking ourselves.

Post #508963  Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:52 am 

Greeny wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
The drawback being that penguins and seals are not the easiest things to grow in your back garden.

I'm actually more concerned with how to obtain large helpings of semen from the seal at regular intervals

All you'd need Greeny would be a bucket of fish and a friendly smile :icon_mrgreen:

Post #508964  Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:54 am 

Greeny wrote:
Apart from ManU I think we'd beat all of them as well over 2 legs
Last year we got to the Final and without Hazard would have won

I agree. I would imagine we’d start favourites against any of them apart from Manchester United, and we’d certainly have a good chance of beating United as well.

Perhaps I’m alone but I do think some people here are exaggerating how bad we are. We have a number of very fine players and I just don’t think we’re as far away from having a splendid team as some make out.

Post #508965  Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:20 pm 

Signing Mari doesn’t take away the need for a top class defender in the summer. I think most Arsenal fans already have it in their head that Saliba will be 1 of the top class CB we need so we just need to find the other. Saliba sounds exciting but he’s 18, never played in the prem and expecting him to come in and lead us out of our defensive troubles is highly optimistic.
Mustafi must go I think all agree on that
Chambers is going to be with us for the next 2 years due to his injury
Saliba, Mari, one more top class in the summer.....then you also have Sokratis and Luiz....both coming to the end of their careers and won’t want to be 4/5th choice so one would have to leave.

That could sort the CB position then we can just concentrate on a RB, a whole new midfield and probably a striker or two when Aubameyang leaves!

Post #508966  Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:00 pm 

Rich wrote:
Mustafi must go I think all agree on that
Chambers is going to be with us for the next 2 years due to his injury
Saliba, Mari, one more top class in the summer.....then you also have Sokratis and Luiz....both coming to the end of their careers and won’t want to be 4/5th choice so one would have to leave.

Did you forget Holding? He isn’t top class so shouldn’t be first choice. But as a squad back up he’s adequate. I agree it is optimistic to see Saliba not needing time, but if he has as much potential as he’s supposed to it’s presumably a case of finding someone to play with him. Then we could have Saliba plus AN Other as the main two with Mari, Holding and Sokratis (who don’t forget you rated as a worse defender than Mustafi earlier this season) or Luiz. What’s happened to Medley? Could he be another back up next season.

But when we talk of getting rid of players, we must remember it’s the players with most of the say so these days. We can’t just politely ask Mustafi, Sokratis or Luiz to bugger off before their contracts expire unless either they’re willing to go or the club pays their contracts off. We’ve seen that with Özil.

Post #508967  Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:06 pm 

If Usmanov takes over Everton and the rumored interest from the Saudi Arabian crown prince in Newcastle, we may eventually see half the league too rich to go down and an intense fight for the top 6 places.

In other news, the transfer rumors are heating up. We have had some big January transfers before like Reyes and Arshavin. I'm not concerned with big names, just quality players at positions we are desperate for like central defense and defensive midfield.

Post #508968  Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:26 pm 

socrates wrote:
Draytonkid wrote:
I'm a bit annoyed at the attitude of some so called supporters, we have been calling for a centre back for ages, we get one and he's being wrote off as rubbish before even kicking a ball,we haven't got Upmecano money, not till summer anyway, bet these doom mongers were spouting off about Martinelli, never heard of him etc, not so noisy now are they, so let's get behind him, the team and the manager, any way must be better than Mustafi.

Hi Dray,

Not sure anyone is writing him off as rubbish. I couldn't possibly call him rubbish because I haven't seen him play, other than the Youtube highlights reel. I obviously hope he's a worldbeater.

I am intrigued by the signing but I do understand fans being slightly sceptical when by all rational thought, based on his career to date, it seems highly unlikely he will be the top, top CB we crave.

That said, CB's do tend to hit their peak later in their careers than midfielders and forwards so he could be a late developer.

Fingers crossed eh.

Hr was the CB for the team that won the Copa Libertadores. That means he is for me a minimum a high quality CB. Maybe not top drawer maybe a rung below that but he is going to be a decent CB.

Post #508969  Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:15 pm 

Post #508970  Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:52 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Hr was the CB for the team that won the Copa Libertadores. That means he is for me a minimum a high quality CB. Maybe not top drawer maybe a rung below that but he is going to be a decent CB.

Like Mertesacker was CB for a team that were world champions you mean?

(ducks in anticipation of incoming) :42laughter:

Post #508971  Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:55 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
:laughing7: Little wind up merchant .... " a bit like Mertesacker "

999 , 999 ,999 Arsenal supporters would hope not .

From the clip ; he's excellent in the air , aggressive , has great anticipation ..... that makes him the polar opposite to Per .

After stupidly getting involved with your ridiculous Mancini wind up,

I’m going to ignore your pathetic Mertesacker wind up.

......... but you've answered " my pathetic wind up " so you haven't ignored it at all .

NZ 10 Germany 0

Post #508972  Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:18 pm 

I remember you once said you had to reply to everyone that answers one of your posts, or words to that effect. At least you don’t mind doing that regardless of the consequences in making yourself look a prat.

So I’ve avoided formally aiming this to a specific poster. Hence while it may seem it’s obvious who I’m replying to, there’s no conclusive evidence for it. After all, anyone could have once said words to the effect that they couldn’t resist not having the last word. As an interesting (to me anyway) social experiment, let’s see if he has to reply in order to have the last word?

Post #508973  Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:33 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Greeny wrote:
There's a suggestion on the blog, but it's fact, isn't it.
We're going the "super-agent" way
It's just 2 different ways of looking for something.

Wenger searching remote jungles in South America and Africa for a cheap herbal cure for his rash, when he could have gone to Boots the Chemist and asked the pharmacist for a tried and tested cream.

Although for us it still boils down to the same thing...
Wait and see what happens and just hope that the itching stops

Meanwhile in NZ Mrs Kiwi says 'what in the world are you rubbing on your private parts. Are you mad.
it stinks.'

:laughing7: Fragments of truth in this extravagant Townsville rhetoric but no way would I consider a chemist a witch doctor ..... the witch doctor isn't a servant of Glaxo Klein , Pfizer Roche .

Seals and penguins .....out of the question I always go for plant remedies ; although I could see how manually gathering the seal semen might appeal to a young deviant like yourself .

But taking the bait .... had a good win a few months ago . Had this annoying little sore 5 mm growth on my back .

What to do ... ? panic , sprint to the nearest doctor , have lab tests find out if it is malignmant , go to the chemist get some ointment .

No , no . no ........ that's not the way I roll ..........sliced a small sliver of garlic , soaked it in organic apple cider vinegar then stuck it over the growth with a couple of strips of electrical tape ..... left it for five days

Well the growth got really snotty , erupted , broke out into an open sore , then scabbed over .

A week later the scab fell off , leaving clear skin with no sign of the blemish .

Post #508974  Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:44 pm 

Bernard wrote:
I remember you once said you had to reply to everyone that answers one of your posts, or words to that effect. At least you don’t mind doing that regardless of the consequences in making yourself look a prat.

So I’ve avoided formally aiming this to a specific poster. Hence while it may seem it’s obvious who I’m replying to, there’s no conclusive evidence for it. After all, anyone could have once said words to the effect that they couldn’t resist not having the last word. As an interesting (to me anyway) social experiment, let’s see if he has to reply in order to have the last word?

Weeeeelll Bernhard

if I really knew that was aimed at me I'd probably chuck "all my toys out of the pram "

sob .....and shout congratulations I've been on this forum for twenty something years

and threaten to never 'darken the doors ' of this forum again ..... like some other unnamed poster did recently .

How's that for your social experiment ..? :icon_mrgreen:

Post #508975  Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:59 pm 

warrior wrote:

His highlight reels look great don't they.

Then again I bet you could put together a highlights reel for Mustafi that would make him look like a worldbeater.

I'm hoping Pablo Mari will be elite but realistically I am not expecting him to be much of an upgrade on Sokratis, if any. If he proves to be then fair play to our transfer team.

Post #508976  Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:17 pm 

Social experiment might have been proved depending on who the subject was. Could anyone see this post by me as being his much cherished final word? If so I bet fingers are twitching through wanting to respond, but not wanting to in order to avoid proving my point. Perhaps someone could dream up a fictitious score between New Zealand and Germany (I’ve no doubt New Zealand would slaughter Germany in rugby or cricket; but they wouldn’t in football).

Post #508977  Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:52 pm 

RIP Kobe Bryant, his daughter and the 2 others.
Surreal. Insanely committed to perfect his craft. A lesson for all.

Post #508978  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:26 am 

I think getting that semen sample from the seal might be easier than what Arteta wants to achieve here

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... al-career/

Post #508979  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:58 am 

The reports say there were more than 4 on the plane, unsure but whomever was that copter, its the worst night of their lives. So sad.

Post #508980  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:24 am 

Bernard wrote:
Social experiment might have been proved depending on who the subject was. Could anyone see this post by me as being his much cherished final word? If so I bet fingers are twitching through wanting to respond, but not wanting to in order to avoid proving my point.

Oh I'd love to post .... have the last word and all that ; but in truth I've got no idea what you are dribbling on about .

Post #508981  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:55 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I think getting that semen sample from the seal might be easier than what Arteta wants to achieve here

Look past the obvious here Gaz ... if Mari arrives which seems likely he would be Number 1 then we have Sokratis , Holding , Chambers , Luiz , Mustafi vying for the other spot .

Arteta might be clucking positive noises about the latter in case he has to offload him .

Someone coming around to buy one of your cars ; you don't start by telling the prospective buyer it is a pile of sh***t .

I think maybe there is a reasonable defender hidden away ...who knows playing alongside Pablo a bit of Arteta coaching Mustafi could come good .

Part the reason he has been such a train wreck could be whoever partners him is calamitous as well .

Think Willie Young , David O Leary both had their shortcomings but they complimented each other so well .

It might not be as Mission Impossible as you think .

Post #508982  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:03 am 

Not talking about a specific case (cough cough). But I wonder what denying you’ve posted when you clearly have in order to satisfy an immature obsession with having the last word is a sign of? The kindest thing I can put it down to is too much rum.

Post #508983  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:17 am 

kiwipete wrote:
I think maybe there is a reasonable defender hidden away ...who knows playing alongside Pablo a bit of Arteta coaching Mustafi could come good .
Part the reason he has been such a train wreck could be whoever partners him is calamitous as well .

Think Willie Young , David O Leary both had their shortcomings but they complimented each other so well .

I think you raise a valid point here. Mustafi can play well and has had numerous fine games. He started off very well indeed. He’s not the quickest, to say the least, but his biggest problem is making terrible errors. When he doesn’t make any he’s not half bad. My guess is that in general his better, mistake free, performances were mainly alongside Mertesacker and Koscielny.

On balance I would prefer him to be sold. But as I said before, that isn’t solely down to Arsenal. Clubs can no longer pick and choose when to offload players under contract. They ca see n presumably pay up somebody’s contract, yet that isn’t selling him. While Mustafi is under contract it’s up to him whether he leaves, and I have little or no doubt he’d want to go somewhere he wants to play and on a salary he’s satisfied with. We’ve seen similar with Özil. I bet Arsenal would love to see the back of him. Yet where else would he get £350k a week? So he stays. It’s the players with much of the power these days.

Post #508984  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:15 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Look past the obvious here Gaz ... if Mari arrives which seems likely he would be Number 1 then we have Sokratis , Holding , Chambers , Luiz , Mustafi vying for the other spot .

Arteta might be clucking positive noises about the latter in case he has to offload him .

Someone coming around to buy one of your cars ; you don't start by telling the prospective buyer it is a pile of sh***t .

I don't know how you build confidence back into Mustafi for starters. I think he is in fear evry game he plays. Probably why he played so well after the bad backpass was becuase in his mind he just said it can't get any worse and he then started to play. He's not the only defender at the club in the last 20 years who has suffered in this way

Post #508985  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:32 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I don't know how you build confidence back into Mustafi for starters. I think he is in fear evry game he plays. Probably why he played so well after the bad backpass was becuase in his mind he just said it can't get any worse and he then started to play. He's not the only defender at the club in the last 20 years who has suffered in this way

If you’re right, and I’m not certain you are although I do accept criticism from fans is probably more likely to negatively affect a player’s form rather than improve it, might it help if people on social media networks refrained from slagging him off so mercilessly and regularly?

As, by and large, people in the ground at games seem to have done after booing him previously.

Post #508986  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:42 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

If you’re right, and I’m not certain you are although I do accept criticism from fans is probably more likely to negatively affect a player’s form rather than improve it, might it help if people on social media networks refrained from slagging him off so mercilessly and regularly?

As, by and large, people in the ground at games seem to have done after booing him previously.

Nice thought Bernard but good luck with trying to control the idiots who use social media. I'm no fan of Mustafi (or Xhaka for that matter) but some of the abuse they get on there from keyboard warriors who've most likely never seen them kick a ball live is a disgrace. And it's already started for the new guy. He's not even signed yet and people are slagging him off.

Some people shouldn't be allowed near sharp objects never mind be given a platform like Twitter et al to display their stupidity.

Post #508987  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:44 am 

Tough game tonight, don’t think you will see many rested.

Not to be underestimated by any stretch of the imagination

Post #508988  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:47 am 

If your a defender dropping clangers every week you shouldn’t be on social media

Also Xhaka blaming social media “hate” being responsible for his crap performances and babyish behaviour is one of the most embarrassing things in the last 20 years at the Arsenal. How dare he doth the armband Tone once wore.

Post #508989  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:57 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
If your a defender dropping clangers every week you shouldn’t be on social media

Also Xhaka blaming social media “hate” being responsible for his crap performances and babyish behaviour is one of the most embarrassing things in the last 20 years at the Arsenal. How dare he doth the armband Tone once wore.

Who isn’t on social media these days? Anyway, continue your behaviour then as I’m sure you and others must be helping their confidence.

Post #508990  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:33 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Who isn’t on social media these days? Anyway, continue your behaviour then as I’m sure you and others must be helping their confidence.

I don’t hate anyone on social media. Twitter is a disgusting vehicle used to promote hate, quips, products and abuse. Instagram is a monetisation tool for girls with nice arses. Snapchat is ,,, well I have no clue. What on Earth is the appeal of that thing ? To record crime

It’s all pointless, however if you are anyone in the public spotlight and on there then you better be prepared to get some grief.

Post #508991  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:44 pm 

Actually that’s where Mustafi is going wrong, his social media policy.

have you seen his mrs. She’s a ten easily. 9.5 at worst

After each cock up rather than posting the usual apology for letting the side down he should post a picture of the Mrs on instagram in some of her sexiest clobber ala the kardashians and bingo! Pretty soon he’s a candidate for the new captaincy, liked by all, and one of the most followed people on Instagram as the superficial parts of this world latch onto it.

Post #508992  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:52 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

No mention of Mari on Sky Sports 'transfer talk' and they seem to be looking into everything.

Post #508993  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:45 pm 

kiwipete wrote:

I think that's one of the problems we've had since Kos/Mert - we've had centre halves but we've never had a proper pairing.

I've always thought that a decent #5 next to a decent #6 defend far better than two outstanding #5s or 6s who don't compliment each other.

Willie Young is a great example. A Sokratis type who whilst not blessed with a great amount of skill was hard as nails and had O'Leary to do his running for him. They complimented each other and that added up to more than the sum of the parts.

Post #508994  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:46 pm 

Didn't have time to post this yesterday, from the Illustrated Mail yesterday in 1901.

Attachments:

Post #508995  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:47 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Like Mertesacker was CB for a team that were world champions you mean?

(ducks in anticipation of incoming) :42laughter:

:58big-emoticons:

Post #508996  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:48 pm 

Today's pictures are from 1968 when a visit from the Arsenal merited a pirate programme as well as the official one.

Attachments:

Post #508997  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:33 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
Today's pictures are from 1968 when a visit from the Arsenal merited a pirate programme as well as the official one.

Went up there for that game....1:1 draw I think. Crikey 52 years ago.

Post #508998  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:21 pm 

The Mari deal appears to be on verge of collapse as he's gone back to Brazil.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.footba ... 636904.amp

Post #508999  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:28 pm 

Zed wrote:

I’ve just been sent this quote, allegedly from someone at Flamengo.

'We expect him at Ninho do Urubu this afternoon (to start pre-season). We had agreed to sell him for a fee, he arrived in London, Arsenal changed (the terms). Flamengo is a serious club.'

Post #509000  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:14 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:

I’ve just been sent this quote, allegedly from someone at Flamengo.

'We expect him at Ninho do Urubu this afternoon (to start pre-season). We had agreed to sell him for a fee, he arrived in London, Arsenal changed (the terms). Flamengo is a serious club.'

Seems to be over the difference of us paying €9m now or having him on loan with an option or obligation to buy in the summer.
1) id have thought the fairly fundamental parts of the deal ie: fee or loan would be talked about pretty early on
2) unless there are cash flow problems at either club I don’t see much difference in buy now or loan with obligation to buy.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12722, 12723, 12724, 12725, 12726, 12727, 12728 ... 14269  Next