Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Googlebot and 114 guests

Post #508881  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:56 pm 

Edu has earned his wages purely on finding Martinelli alone. Pépé is on the cusp of big things if we can coach him properly on his decision making. And the proper set up for his success. He'll take on 3 players, which obviously means space elsewhere and our players don't make runs or get into left open spaces to receive a pass. Lots of standing around watching him dribble.

Post #508882  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:54 pm 

A couple takeaways from the match.
Martinelli is a star in the making. I'm not saying he will be another Henry, but he can invoke memories of the great one. Work rate is superb. Has a natural feel for making the right run at the right time. Özil could be the perfect foil for him and release him (as well as Pépé). Possibly what Arteta is thinking but so far has not come off.
We scored 2 goals with ten men at Stamford Bridge. That can not be over emphasized enough. Giving up 2 goals at the Bridge with ten men is not an eye raiser, coming back is huge. It's also huge for our confidence. More than a month ago we would have lost the will to fight back. And we did it without Aubameyang.
Pépé has reversed his form and is game by game improving.
Saka's flexibility is an asset. He may have earned his being considered as a stop gap for a couple different positions.
The club should have got rid of Mustafi ages ago and my guess is not that they can't sell him, they are more concerned at taking the financial loss. In all businesses, you cut some losses right away than make it worse by hanging on.
It would have been suicide to consider selling Aubameyang now we should think about cashing in and using that money for players in positions we desperately need. We have enough in the attack to score without him. Yes, we are not nearly as good in attack without him but we have the means to score without him.
The road back is not as far as we think it may be. We get the central defense sorted and a quality box to box Kante type center mid and we are a very decent side.
Finally, I may end up owing Mikel an apology.

Post #508883  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:03 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yes absolutely slow clap and circle jerk for mustafi folks for not screwing up further after another match affecting balls up.

Someone needs to sit him down with a nice cuppa tea and a biscuit.

Maybe he needs a pet ? Maybe a nice cuddly puppy

Mustafi played well after the mistake. He is not actually a bad player. I think someone said he was the worst player ever in an Arsenal shirt. That is simply nonsense.

So all Mustafi needs to do is make an horrendous cock up every match and after that he'll put in a Man of the Match performance .

"Not actually a bad player " he is worse .

Swivel ; off balance to try a back pass ; just too stupid for words .

He just doesn't know the basics of centre half play .
Every game he is guaranteed to present the opposition with a couple of goal scoring opportunities .

He looked better for the rest of the match because .... [a] the cock up strengthened his resolve
[b] having the man sent off the whole team compressed which suited because he didn't have the space present another gilt edged opportunity .

Many of the lesser players from the mists of time get reeled out as rubbish players Caesar , Selley , Morrow , McGoldrick , Groves , Hartson but I reckon included in this current mob they would look quite competent .

Post #508884  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:20 pm 

Everytime Martinelli , Saka , Willock , Nelson get the ball I think Whooppee ..... these kids are going to try and attack .

Saka ..... love the kid's , application , style , drive , skill .

Post #508885  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:41 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Mustafi played well after the mistake. He is not actually a bad player. I think someone said he was the worst player ever in an Arsenal shirt. That is simply nonsense.

So all Mustafi needs to do is make an horrendous cock up every match and after that he'll put in a Man of the Match performance .

Every game he is guaranteed to present the opposition with a couple of goal scoring opportunities .

He looked better for the rest of the match because .... [a] the cock up strengthened his resolve
[b] having the man sent off the whole team compressed which suited because he didn't have the space present another gilt edged opportunity .

Many of the lesser players from the mists of time get reeled out as rubbish players Caesar , Selley , Morrow , McGoldrick , Groves , Hartson but I reckon included in this current mob they would look quite competent .

That is simply stupid whingeing. J watched those players and even those from an earlier vintage. Mustafi is not top drawer but he is no poor defender.

Post #508886  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:53 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

That is simply stupid whingeing. J watched those players and even those from an earlier vintage. Mustafi is not top drawer but he is no poor defender.

No poor defender ? He’s abysmal, how many dropped points is he responsible for over the last few years. I can’t recall any other defender for a long time capable of such monumental screw ups. Even Cygan.

Nobody is whingeing but being surprised at the output of sympathy following his millionth cock up is hysterical

Post #508887  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:57 pm 

It's icing on the cake seeing Man Utd losing at OT.

Post #508888  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:59 pm 

How much longer can OGS last?

Post #508889  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:04 pm 

What a bunch of dicks

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51211078

Post #508890  Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:25 am 

Gunfire wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Blimey. "Not poor"! I've my go at defending some players in the past but how many mistakes and crap passes straight to the opposition does he have to make to be considered poor/bad/rubbish?

Post #508891  Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:06 am 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Talk of us somehow ending Ceballos stay with us

Has there ever been a loan signing we have made that worked out

When Henry came back!

Did Sol Campbell come back on loan? If so that definitely worked. I recall DHD saying he was still the best c ntral defender at the club when he retuned, and DHD was right.

As well as Henry and Campbell I see Benayoum as doing enough to count him as a successful loan signing.

Post #508892  Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:32 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
When Henry came back!

Did Sol Campbell come back on loan? If so that definitely worked. I recall DHD saying he was still the best c ntral defender at the club when he retuned, and DHD was right.

As well as Henry and Campbell I see Benayoum as doing enough to count him as a successful loan signing.

He came back to train with us as a free agent in 2010 and subsequently signed on again; as such, he wasn't technically a loan, Bern. And he was still an excellent defender - quick, commanding and decisive even at 36. Apart from his athleticism though, it was his sheer bulk that always impressed me. Huge arse. He blotted out a lot of sky and it took a serious detour just to get around him. He wasted a few of his latter years chasing big paydays with clubs like Portsmouth and (bizarrely) Notts County when he could still have been dominating for us. But then Sol's issues were usually psychological rather than physical. He was and still is a complicated man but he's one of the best defenders I've ever seen.

Post #508893  Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:27 am 

A couple of pictures I took of the old place today in 2005.

Attachments:

Post #508894  Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:23 pm 

Please Wolves, please!! Invoke the ghosts of the 1950s. Something, anything.

Post #508895  Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:27 pm 

Between Lampard and OGS, it's gotta be OGS next to go. The job is way too big for him at this stage. He is not only manager but also help with transfers, etc. They are throwing a junior executive in a CEOs job if we want to use a company analogy. No skin off my teeth. I hope he fails miserably. Same with Lamps although it seems Chelsea are aware of the issues he inherited such as being banned from a transfer window. He will get a bit of time to get players and the youth movement they have going on will get him even more time.

Post #508896  Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:22 pm 

If Aubameyang goes, and i'm not opposed to it IF we get a good price.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... r-21329327

Post #508897  Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:06 pm 

OGS gets the dreaded support of the board. He may not make it the rest of the season.

Post #508898  Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:47 pm 

OGS a mishap of problems. Explains why MU are going back in for Carlos Tevez. On loan at 35.

Post #508899  Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:08 pm 

That didn't take long.

Post #508900  Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:04 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Yes great idea. Let’s sell him

The only player who can put the ball in the net right now

Post #508901  Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:17 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Yes great idea. Let’s sell him

The only player who can put the ball in the net right now

Well actually I am with AG on this. I think we could get a big price in this window. But what that takes is faith that Arteta will keep us up & the team are heading in the right direction. Without him it will look pretty tight. But the future is not with him & I would rather we start moving now than wreck next year when he is gone. This year is dead - don’t make the mistake of killing off next year after he goes at the end of the season.
See if any of the young ones will step up. Martinelli already looks a solid prospect. Are Eddie or others good enough.

It would free up say 60 mil for the next window. I think my sell price is 70mil for right now.

Post #508902  Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:55 pm 

Arsenal have rejected Brentford’s bid of £5m plus add ins for Balogan. Lots of people saying if Brentford are after your young player you’re doing something right.
Nketiah, John-jules, Balogan - will be interesting to see what Arsenal does with all 3 next season. Especially with the uncertain futures of Aubameyang and lacazette

Post #508903  Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:17 am 

If Aubameyang has no intention of signing a longer deal then we must must must sell him in the summer.
1 more year of Aubameyang and £0 or,
Lose the year but have £60-70m to buy a long term replacement and reshape the team.
One of the worst things we did in recent years was not take the £60m City offered for Sanchez when he had 6 months left on his deal - how on earth do you even begin to justify that?

The same goes for every single other player unless they are dead-ending their contract to retirement or their £ value is so low that having them for another year makes more sense than bagging under £5m

Post #508904  Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:56 am 

A remarkable and heartwarming quote from Santi Cazorla :

"I don't know if it's possible or not, but I want to play one more game for Arsenal before I retire. It was a deep regret that I could never have a proper goodbye. Arsenal was the biggest club I ever played for. I'm proud that I was an Arsenal player."

What a wonderful player.

Post #508905  Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:55 am 

Hmm...I still have a little bit of pace left. Maybe I can be there winger.
https://theathletic.com/1553072/2020/01 ... enix-club/
Exclusive: Disgruntled Arsenal fans to launch breakaway phoenix club based in Surrey – Dial Square FC

Post #508906  Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:04 am 

Rich wrote:
If Aubameyang has no intention of signing a longer deal then we must must must sell him in the summer.
Lose the year but have £60-70m to buy a long term replacement and reshape the team.
One of the worst things we did in recent years was not take the £60m City offered for Sanchez when he had 6 months left on his deal - how on earth do you even begin to justify that?

The same goes for every single other player unless they are dead-ending their contract to retirement or their £ value is so low that having them for another year makes more sense than bagging under £5m

You and Gaz are both right in my view. I just don’t get Top Gun’s attitude on this issue. Aubameyang has halted negotiations over a contract extension so if we don’t sell him this January or in the summer, we’re massively likely to lose him for nothing in the summer of 2021. Or at best relative peanuts in January next year. But arguably more likely a big fat zero in the summer of 2021. No pounds, no pennies, no euros, no nothing. That would be utter madness.

Flog him (the slang term for selling, not whipping) quick. If not now then in the summer. Had Emery or Ljungberg stayed in post I’d have seen relegation as unlikely but still very possible. With Arteta in post there’s no chance of us going down even though I think it’s as yet too early to decide on whether he’ll be a great appointment or not. That makes losing Aubameyang for nothing even less excusable as selling him would, or should, give us the money to strengthen the side for next season.

Post #508907  Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:08 am 

Will Wenger be able to get a job in a top club? Or will he have to "settle" for a 2nd tier club below the top clubs? He's been out the game a little while now.

Post #508908  Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:58 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

You and Gaz are both right in my view. I just don’t get Top Gun’s attitude on this issue. Aubameyang has halted negotiations over a contract extension so if we don’t sell him this January or in the summer, we’re massively likely to lose him for nothing in the summer of 2021. Or at best relative peanuts in January next year. But arguably more likely a big fat zero in the summer of 2021. No pounds, no pennies, no euros, no nothing. That would be utter madness.

Flog him (the slang term for selling, not whipping) quick. If not now then in the summer. Had Emery or Ljungberg stayed in post I’d have seen relegation as unlikely but still very possible. With Arteta in post there’s no chance of us going down even though I think it’s as yet too early to decide on whether he’ll be a great appointment or not. That makes losing Aubameyang for nothing even less excusable as selling him would, or should, give us the money to strengthen the side for next season.

By all means sell him in the summer but not now as was being advocated in the article and by the Barcelona manager

Relegation is unlikely but we are only 7 points above the relegation zone and struggling to get wins with Aubameyang in the side who is our only player who can actually score.

If HBO sacked James Gandolfini after season 1 of the sopranos you’d have a bunch of old guys taking *%^@ in a pork store and nothing else

Post #508909  Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:20 am 

Donny Howe today in 1984.

Attachments:

Post #508910  Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:35 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
By all means sell him in the summer but not now as was being advocated in the article and by the Barcelona manager

Relegation is unlikely but we are only 7 points above the relegation zone and struggling to get wins with Aubameyang in the side who is our only player who can actually score.

If HBO sacked James Gandolfini after season 1 of the sopranos you’d have a bunch of old guys taking *%^@ in a pork store and nothing else

But you’ve already written off this season so I can’t see why you think selling him now is such a big deal? Even without him I just can’t see us going down. We also scored two at Chelsea so we can score without him. The only reason I’d prefer the summer than now is if getting rid would stop any chance of us winning the Europa League, which I not only see as vital but feasible.

But I presume you don’t see that as possible. If you’re right on that score and I’m wrong, I really can’t see why it’s an issue if we’d get more for him eighteen months from the end of his contract rather than a year.

Post #508911  Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:21 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

But you’ve already written off this season so I can’t see why you think selling him now is such a big deal? Even without him I just can’t see us going down. We also scored two at Chelsea so we can score without him. The only reason I’d prefer the summer than now is if getting rid would stop any chance of us winning the Europa League, which I not only see as vital but feasible.

But I presume you don’t see that as possible.

Anyone who thinks we can win the Europa league urgently requires cognitive therapy. I mean serious proper Malcolm mcdowell clockwork orange type rehabilitations of the mind

6 wins in 23 Bernard. Do the math

The moment we meet anyone remotely average we will get our sphincter re sized to that of a bowling ball

... however relegation without aubameyang is 2 losses and a draw as things stand. Can’t sell him till summer and we won’t anyway

Post #508912  Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:21 pm 

Greeny wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Hmm...I still have a little bit of pace left. Maybe I can be there winger.

Maybe you can go their and ask?

Ha ha. Subtle. I nearly missed that one. :58big-emoticons:

Post #508913  Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:24 pm 

Rough season for Arsenal fans. Possibly lowest position in the table for a season since the mid 90s and seeing what was once thought an unbreakable record in the modern era, seemingly easily beaten.
Hope remains for each but its tough.

Post #508914  Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

But I presume you don’t see that as possible. If you’re right on that score and I’m wrong, I really can’t see why it’s an issue if we’d get more for him eighteen months from the end of his contract rather than a year.

Greetings Bernard. I'm inclined to lean towards Top Gun's view about keeping Aubameyang until the end of the season. I don't take too much comfort from the fact that we scored 2 against Chelsea. We can't rely on opposing midfielders tripping over their own feet or opposing keepers letting in speculative efforts from Bellerin. We need just a little more on the attacking side than that. Putting too much responsibility on Martinelli seems very unwise to me. I agree that it is unlikely that we will go down but I don't think we should be complacent about it and selling our top score does seem to be asking for trouble. The sides below us are showing to many signs of life!

And on the other hand, there is the possibility that we might hit form. At the very least, Arteta needs as strong a squad as possible to try to get a bit of momentum, keep the fans happy, etc. And we are still 'in' the season in a positive sense. We could easily get ourselves into contention for European qualification (even the Champions league is not totally out of reach) and we shouldn't write ourselves off in either of the cup competitions we're still in.

Post #508915  Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:18 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Anyone who thinks we can win the Europa league urgently requires cognitive therapy. I mean serious proper Malcolm mcdowell clockwork orange type rehabilitations of the mind

I’d say there’s more chance of winning the Europa League than there is of going down. In my view by far the biggest reason not to sell him now is it compromising our chances of winning the Europa League, not avoiding relegation. There aren’t many teams left in it who I would make firm favourites to beat us if we draw them. Plenty where it could go either way. But not many who I’d make favourites to beat us

Post #508916  Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:29 pm 

Devoted football fans experience 'dangerous' levels of stress https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51222376

Quote:
...Raised cortisol can also give people a feeling of impending doom, that their life is in danger or they are under attack.

Prolonged high levels of cortisol can:
■ constrict blood vessels
■ raise blood pressure
■ damage an already weakened heart

This season could finish us all off...!!

Post #508917  Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:52 am 

By far my worse season overall as a fan. Not sure how some of you old geezers made it out of the 60s and some of those years in the 70s and 80s.
None of my worse Arsenal moments thank God.
If Liverpool lose a league match I'll actually consider it a good season even if we finish mid table. Retaining the unbeaten season when it seems a certain record obliterated will make me so happy if it happens.

Post #508918  Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:11 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I think you will find that I don’t care if they had sacked this guy. Never watched 1 minute of it & an unlikely to change

Post #508919  Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:21 am 

Greeny wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Very unlikely we will sell him this January. What would be the point?
For some extra money? We'll get the same for him in the Summer. Or do we need cash to buy someone this January? To give youth a chance? There seems to be no reason.

If we do sell him we lose our only goalscorer and send a message to Europe that we are 3rd Tier selling Club
re scoring 2 at Chelsea...we had 2 shots at goal all game...

a) a fall by Kante allowing Martinelli a free run at goal where even Walcott would have put it in and
b) a shot by Bellerin with his weaker foot

It would be like selling Wrighty because Winterburn had just scored a screamer against Chelsea

Europa League is the big one, as you rightly said. We have to keep him for that. But we need his goals in the Premier League. We won't get relegated with him, but without him we could struggle.
We've scored 32 goals this season. Aubameyang has got 14 of them. 18 goals from others.
Norwich have scored 24, Watford 21, Bournemouth 23, West Ham 27, Villa 31.

He's also won us points in important games. Goal at Palace to get a draw, goal at Bournemouth to save a point, 2 goals at Carrow Rd. to avoid defeat, a brace at Watford to get us a point, and the winner at Newcastle.

No, we're relegation fodder if we sell Aubameyang without a replacement and then rely on Lacazette to rediscover his form and 2 youngsters where anything could happen.

Well here is my strategy on why we sell now. Take the money & bank it. The kids get a run out & we make assessments on whether they are good enough.

If not we spend some for a forward at the end of the season.

If we sell in the summer I think we will get less cash. Plus then we start next season maybe having to get Eddie or others going on their own. And if they don’t make it next season is over.

Of course we keep him and he decides to run down his contract or he gets injured at the end of this season and the interest dries up for a bloke in his 30’s. it’s not as if the club have done great deals in the market in the last decade. It’s only my idea others will see it different and be wrong of course.

Post #508920  Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:25 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I’d say there’s more chance of winning the Europa League than there is of going down. In my view by far the biggest reason not to sell him now is it compromising our chances of winning the Europa League, not avoiding relegation. There aren’t many teams left in it who I would make firm favourites to beat us if we draw them. Plenty where it could go either way. But not many who I’d make favourites to beat us

Quite a few 3rd placed teams from the Champions League will make it much more difficult for us. Not sure which is coming into the Europa yet, but some very strong ones in there.

I'm with selling Aubameyang with a large fee in Jan. I think he alone won't help us win the Europa. We need better midfielders to supply the lines.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12720, 12721, 12722, 12723, 12724, 12725, 12726 ... 14269  Next