Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 90 guests

Post #508841  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:43 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Now I believe Arteta is changing our attitude. Great fight back but it was the young ones who dug deep. Now put it together for 90 minutes.

I loved the Guendouzi foul. They lost their *%^@ and that is when I knew they might crack.

I noticed that as well, how desperate Chelsea were to run to the ref and complain to ensure Guendouzi was punished. Pure panic.
I really wasn’t impressed by Chelsea and can see why they are such an up and down team this season

Post #508842  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:46 pm 

So proud of the boys.
What spirit we showed.
Martinelli. Just Wow! What a goal!
Had a feeling all our hard work would go unrewarded and Chelsea would get a second but we still showed more spirit to come back again!!
*%^@*** beautiful seeing Bellerins shot nestle in the corner.
That feels like a win and will hopefully give the boys great belief.
*%^@*** Azpiculetta sticking his tongue out like a *%^@ when he scored. Where was the tongue at 2 2 you ****!
Get in there!!!!

Post #508843  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:47 pm 

Arteta deserves credit for his reaction to the red. I’m sure Xhaka went in initially as a temporary solution, Arteta saw we actually responded well in the 10 mins immediately after the goal and had the balls to not just throw on a new CB as 95% of managers would have. If we were going to be pressed deep, as 10 man teams often are, then you’re already taking away one of Xhaka’s weaknesses. He doesn’t need any recovery pace if he plays only 20 yards from his own goal.

Arteta also kept the 3 boys up top to at least offer some threat. 4-2-3 formation is ballsy away to Chelsea and 1-0 down.

Post #508844  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:48 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Wasn’t there a statistic someone mentioned that van Dijk has contributed more goals and assists than Mesut has since he signed his new contract.

The major problem with this side isn’t the defence it’s that Mesut isn’t contributing at all and we need a midfield player alongside Torreira who can distribute the ball and get forward into the penalty box to support our strikers. This is why we can’t control games in turn putting pressure on our centre halves

Exactly so. Lacking in creativity and speed of transition. That isn’t ever going to be provided by Özil. He must be such a frustrating player to be alongside.

There’s so little creativity Lacazette is almost playing as a false 9 he’s dropping back into midfield so far. Then he gets a load of grief because he’s not scoring

Pépé gets a load of grief because he gets the ball played to him behind him by 5 yards on the half way line and is then expected to beat every opposition player to get to the goal. If he doesn’t people accuse him of being a waste of money.

Nil creativity, no early ball or possession. Before the sending off we had resorted to punting it at Lacazettes head. I think if we hadn’t lost a player we would never have scored

Post #508845  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:52 pm 

The Chelsea 2nd goal highlighted a problem with the offside law that is so open to interpretation. Abraham miles offside limping back in to play, the ball is crossed near him but he’s not in the gk line of sight, but could have easily distracted the Arsenal defence. As the cross leaves the Chelsea players boot it wouldn’t be easy to establish it wasn’t going to go to Abraham because it’s reasonably in his directions. So the officials need to decide if he is interfering with play.
Someone (possibly souness) said if you’re on the pitch you’re affecting play, I can see the point but that brings us back to the old offside law which isn’t fit for purpose.
I’d want an Arsenal goal to stand for that but there is a grey area.

Post #508846  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:02 pm 

You want to know why Lacazette and Pépé aren’t performing ? Watch these and draw your own conclusions.

https://youtu.be/iAn-J8_xUG8

https://youtu.be/IvT1wHZb2xA

Post #508847  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:02 pm 

2 things about Martinelli’s goal
1. That’s a Mustafi assist
2. Did anyone notice once Kante slipped he reached out his hand to grab Martinelli’s ankle? Do you think he’d have got a red or yellow for the foul if he’d managed it?

Post #508848  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:12 pm 

Rich wrote:
2 things about Martinelli’s goal
1. That’s a Mustafi assist
2. Did anyone notice once Kante slipped he reached out his hand to grab Martinelli’s ankle? Do you think he’d have got a red or yellow for the foul if he’d managed it?

I thought exactly those two things! I thought it would be a clear professional foul stopping a run on goal, it would have had to have been a red, (exactly like Luiz decision) but frankly I’ve felt so shafted by decisions and VAR recently so nothing would have surprised me.

And well done Mustafi, the only man in the stadium, and on the planet in fact who saw the potential for that assist! :1laughter:

Post #508849  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:18 pm 

john1 wrote:
grantyboy wrote:
I don't even remember Senderos or Djourou being as bad as Mustafi. Surely the worst Arsenal defender ever.

Tell you how bad I think he is; I’d rather Cygan than him

Ah yes I was thinking of him rather than Senderos. Worse than Squillaci as well.

Post #508850  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:27 pm 

dec wrote:
grantyboy wrote:
I don't even remember Senderos or Djourou being as bad as Mustafi. Surely the worst Arsenal defender ever.

Are you too young to remember Gus Caesar, Granty?

Old enough but had a period around there where I didn't watch much and there was limited coverage in NZ.

Post #508851  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:28 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Exactly so. Lacking in creativity and speed of transition. That isn’t ever going to be provided by Özil. He must be such a frustrating player to be alongside.

There’s so little creativity Lacazette is almost playing as a false 9 he’s dropping back into midfield so far. Then he gets a load of grief because he’s not scoring

Pépé gets a load of grief because he gets the ball played to him behind him by 5 yards on the half way line and is then expected to beat every opposition player to get to the goal. If he doesn’t people accuse him of being a waste of money.

Nil creativity, no early ball or possession. Before the sending off we had resorted to punting it at Lacazettes head. I think if we hadn’t lost a player we would never have scored

Possibly fair points regarding Pépé, we’re into the second half of the season where Pires and Henry started to improve after indifferent starts, so there’s always hope.

The transfer fee is undoubtedly making us all wait for 72 million quids worth of fireworks and so far we’ve got fits and starts. All nice Roman candles and not enough rockets. It will help when the team can distribute and transition effectively but this is what he’s like when the chips are down and that does say something, not everything buy any stretch, he could come really good and ‘justify’ the price tag, but basically, so far, I’m disappointed.

Post #508852  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:10 am 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Shows everyone has their own tastes. I’ve not watched a single second of it myself but I know two different people who have. One thought it was average, the other called it crap (the exact word used).

Well thanks for that Bern. You don’t sound too cheerful.

Not my view at all. As I said I haven’t watched a single second of it. But like everything on telly, some will like it and others won’t.

Post #508853  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:31 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Where are our midfielders trying to place that killer Freddie ljungberg type pass between centre half and fullback.

You mean the one that goes into touch to give a throw to the opposition?

Post #508854  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:22 am 

Sure feels like a win :58big-emoticons:

Post #508855  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:25 am 

I didn't see the last goal because I turned the station in disgust...lol. Had to see a recap. Good for Bellerin. A captain's goal. He's a lost s step or two of pace but he's still a decent RB.

Post #508856  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:54 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Where are our midfielders trying to place that killer Freddie ljungberg type pass between centre half and fullback.

You mean the one that goes into touch to give a throw to the opposition?

The one he receives himself not passes

Post #508857  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:03 am 

Yes this is the Özil statistic. His new contract has been a disaster for Arsenal

Attachments:

Post #508858  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:52 am 

Talk of us somehow ending Ceballos stay with us

Has there ever been a loan signing we have made that worked out

Post #508859  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:32 am 

Read this on twitter:

Martinelli made 26 sprints tonight, more than any other Arsenal player on the pitch. The second highest? Saka and Lacazete with 11. Chelsea's highest was Emerson with 14.

Martinelli also clocked the top speed of the night. 34.11 (kmh).

Post #508860  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:34 am 

Mustafi may not be good enough but no one can fault his effort. He started the game shakily, made several misplaced passes and then the big error but after that he played really well.

Post #508861  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:36 am 

I think Saka may have a future at LB. So much of the modern game focuses around the ability of fullbacks to get forward and he could be elite in that context. Very intelligent and a quick learner.

Post #508862  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:39 am 

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/01/22/u ... al-fans-a/

Please match your words with action

Post #508863  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:41 am 

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/01/22/a ... ght-about/

Özil was good in the first few games for Arteta. He is slipped back to his slow-mo, ineffective style. Clearly past it to keep going at the high speed, high tempo expected of him.

Post #508864  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:43 am 

https://arseblog.news/2020/01/arteta-ex ... -red-card/

Big shout out to Xhaka, who did very well at CB for the team. He is putting on much better performances. :58big-emoticons: :53big-emoticons:

Post #508865  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:43 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Leopards never change their spots. Terrible back pass from Mustafi. But the decision making by Luis in fouling and being sent off shows that he is not and never will be good enough. Lazy defending by both but I am even more annoyed with Luis because Mustafi I expect mistakes.

But in the first 25 minutes we did not turn up again. Where is the much lauded change. Arteta was out outhought by Lampard from moment one. You never know we still might pinch one but this game has said a lot to me about Pépé, Lacazette, Luis, Xhaka and Mustafi. A number of them are just not motivated - Mustafi is mentally blown.

Bit of premature eja***** there Big Guy .

No way was Arteta outhought , if anything the reverse .

To leave Martinelli , Pépé , Lacazette on the pitch as part of the ten men took gumption .

Wenger , Emery would have thrown every defensive players on and tried to keep it at 1 - 0 .

With some of the dumf**s Mikel has at his disposal that performance is nothing short of miraculous ....

but for two horrendous cock ups at the Emirates and one today our record v Chelsea could easily be a draw and a win .

Kante falling on his arse :laughing7: reminiscent of Terry v Walcott .

Not at all. Amy Lawrence was talking about Artetas tactics. The ball goes to Luis and Xhaka who try and put long balls forward. This way they don't go upfield too far and don't have problems being turned around. Look at the first 25 minutes Lampard realised this and just closed down Luis and Xhaka. Whole first hard we struggled.

Post #508866  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:00 am 

socrates wrote:
Read this on twitter:

Martinelli made 26 sprints tonight, more than any other Arsenal player on the pitch. The second highest? Saka and Lacazete with 11. Chelsea's highest was Emerson with 14.

What is surprising and disappointing is that Pépé doesn’t feature there. I envisaged him as a pacy destroyer in the mould of Zaha.

Post #508867  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:21 am 

long time gooner wrote:
socrates wrote:
Read this on twitter:

What is surprising and disappointing is that Pépé doesn’t feature there. I envisaged him as a pacy destroyer in the mould of Zaha.

Hi ltg,

He's shown he has pace and skill and trickery but I think Top Gun touched on it when said he needs the ball higher up the pitch and not on the halfway line with his back to goal where he needs to do something miraculous just to get out of a tight situation.

If we had a midfielder who could find his runs with more expansive passes, then we could perhaps see what we paid all the money for. Özil should be the one but he seems to play too much in Pépé's area of the pitch making it difficult for him to produce a defence splitting pass.

That said Pépé also has to work on his movement and the timing of his runs so that those kind of expansive passes are on for him.

Post #508868  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:32 am 

socrates wrote:
Mustafi may not be good enough but no one can fault his effort. He started the game shakily, made several misplaced passes and then the big error but after that he played really well.

I fully agree socrates. On the way home last night I had a look at the forum and I think I noticed someone (can’t recall who) say Mustafi’s heart wasn’t in it. I was surprised because heart is the one thing he does have. He has various faults. But a lack of heart is not one of them.

I also noticed Darren use the word hate yet again to describe his feelings towards Mustafi. He has before and I still think it’s the wrong word to use about a player you don’t feel is good enough. The worse player I’ve ever seen play for the club was probably Caesar who I also knew was a lifelong Tottenham fan (I think he came from there). Did I hate him? No way. Myself, I find it impossible to dislike Mustafi because of his attitude, whether or not he’s prone to making bad errors or falls short of being good enough.

I was very close to the front of the stand behind the goal at the away end and you could see how bad he felt about the mistake. So well done to him for sorting himself out to then play well. I give him credit for that.

Post #508869  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:05 pm 

Ok, so we all know we could do with better defenders but what Arteta has done to our defending with what he has is pretty good in my book. There is a passion in our defending now which hasn't been there for far too long. Six months ago we would have taken a hammering in that game but now people are throwing themselves in to block and the structure of the defending looks much better. Xhaka seems far more suited to the semi-CH role (it was noticable the other day that whenever both full backs were forward he dropped to form a back 3) and he was superb there last night playing, dare I say, a captain's role.

Anyway, if you were at Highbury today in 1927 you'd have had a right sing song with this. A notable date in Arsenal history as not only was LTG honoured by being asked to lead the singing on the day of his retirement, he also got to introduce his Grandson Nicholas Parsons to the crowd. Happy days.

Attachments:

Post #508870  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:22 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
Anyway, if you were at Highbury today in 1927 you'd have had a right sing song with this. A notable date in Arsenal history as not only was LTG honoured by being asked to lead the singing on the day of his retirement, he also got to introduce his Grandson Nicholas Parsons to the crowd. Happy days.

Wasn’t it was to celebrate LTG’s hundredth birthday and telegram from the queen (or was it a king in 1927), not his retirement?

Post #508871  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:23 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

Wasn’t it was to celebrate LTG’s hundredth birthday and telegram from the queen (or was it a king in 1927), not his retirement?

Now now Bernard, there's no need to take the mickey.

Post #508872  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:45 pm 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

I fully agree socrates. On the way home last night I had a look at the forum and I think I noticed someone (can’t recall who) say Mustafi’s heart wasn’t in it. I was surprised because heart is the one thing he does have. He has various faults. But a lack of heart is not one of them.

I also noticed Darren use the word hate yet again to describe his feelings towards Mustafi. He has before and I still think it’s the wrong word to use about a player you don’t feel is good enough. The worse player I’ve ever seen play for the club was probably Caesar who I also knew was a lifelong Tottenham fan (I think he came from there). Did I hate him? No way. Myself, I find it impossible to dislike Mustafi because of his attitude, whether or not he’s prone to making bad errors or falls short of being good enough.

I was very close to the front of the stand behind the goal at the away end and you could see how bad he felt about the mistake. So well done to him for sorting himself out to then play well. I give him credit for that.

Yes absolutely slow clap and circle jerk for mustafi folks for not screwing up further after another match affecting balls up.

Someone needs to sit him down with a nice cuppa tea and a biscuit.

Maybe he needs a pet ? Maybe a nice cuddly puppy

Post #508873  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:53 pm 

socrates wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Hi ltg,

He's shown he has pace and skill and trickery but I think Top Gun touched on it when said he needs the ball higher up the pitch and not on the halfway line with his back to goal where he needs to do something miraculous just to get out of a tight situation.

If we had a midfielder who could find his runs with more expansive passes, then we could perhaps see what we paid all the money for. Özil should be the one but he seems to play too much in Pépé's area of the pitch making it difficult for him to produce a defence splitting pass.

That said Pépé also has to work on his movement and the timing of his runs so that those kind of expansive passes are on for him.

Yes absolutely, this is the main problem. You won’t convince me Lacazette and Pépé are bad players. In his last year in France only Mbappe scored more goals. He can’t really be that bad.

Also it’s worth pointing out the same issues those 2 players are experiencing also affect Martinelli. He didn’t use a Jedi mind trick to make Kante slip and aside from the impressive goal his performance was similar to Pépé without the expectation because of the fee.

These guys are just getting zero service right now. Midfield is non existent

Post #508874  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:18 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Yes absolutely slow clap and circle jerk for mustafi folks for not screwing up further after another match affecting balls up.

Why bother replying in a snide sarcastic tone. Mustafi played well after the mistake. He is not actually a bad player. I think someone said he was the worst player ever in an Arsenal shirt. That is simply nonsense.

Post #508875  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:20 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Why bother replying in a snide sarcastic tone. Mustafi played well after the mistake. He is not actually a bad player.

Yes he *%^@*** well is thanks.

Post #508876  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:52 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
....he also got to introduce his Grandson Nicholas Parsons to the crowd.

Wasn't it Cardew Robinson?

Post #508877  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:05 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Talk of us somehow ending Ceballos stay with us

Has there ever been a loan signing we have made that worked out

When Henry came back!

Post #508878  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:38 pm 

We’re being linked with Shakhtar Donetsk centre-back Mykola Matviyenko. I’ll be impressed if anyone knows anything about him without googling it!

Post #508879  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:40 pm 

Back to Martinelli’s goal. How fantastic to have a player who can run faster with the ball than most defenders when they’re just sprinting.

Dribbling a ball 70 yards without much of a challenge and then slotting it past the GK was made to look ridiculously easy by Martinelli last night. It definitely isn’t

Post #508880  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:52 pm 

Rich wrote:
We’re being linked with Shakhtar Donetsk centre-back Mykola Matviyenko. I’ll be impressed if anyone knows anything about him without googling it!

As you know I have a spreadsheeet of all the top centre backs in the world. :7laughter:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12719, 12720, 12721, 12722, 12723, 12724, 12725 ... 14269  Next