Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 177 guests

Post #508721  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:31 pm 

Binged on COBRA over the last couple of evenings. That's a television production Kiwi, not Indian booze.

Bloody good series. I'd watched a few (thoroughly enjoyable) episodes before I spotted the author.

Post #508722  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:32 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
tomc wrote:
The bloke has been manager for one month. Bloody hell give him a chance.

Before you get all binary. I didn't say I wasn't giving Arteta a chance and actually think he's done reasonably well since joining. At the very least to increase commitment and improve the team shape and defensive structure.

What I was doing was sharing the observation of Gaz that for large chunks of the Sheffield match we were largely crap (misplaced passes, poor movement, static positioning, missed chances). There are a myriad of reasons why that could be the case (Injuries, suspensions, very young players filling in, new tactics, etc) but my comment on the match performance has nothing to do with Arteta's future.

P.s. and I also agree with Bernard on whether Arteta is the right or wrong guy and it's still too early to tell. I'm not convinced of either but can understand both sides of the fence while I sit firmly on it.

Rest assured that I'm not going "all binary", whatever that means. I'm very relaxed about it all. All I want is for Arteta to keep us out of bother this season (thanks to the shitshow that preceded him we are only 7 points off the bottom three), gradually sort out the wheat from the chaff, and hopefully come back next season with a team that is more his than his predecessors. Then we can see what Arteta is made of and whether he is the right man for the job.

With the dross that he inherited there is bound to be odd bad performance. We're not a very good team.

Post #508723  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:18 pm 

DHD wrote:
Binged on COBRA over the last couple of evenings. That's a television production Kiwi, not Indian booze.

Bloody good series. I'd watched a few (thoroughly enjoyable) episodes before I spotted the author.

Shows everyone has their own tastes. I’ve not watched a single second of it myself but I know two different people who have. One thought it was average, the other called it crap (the exact word used).

Post #508724  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:34 pm 

I'm at the point I am equally as concerned about Liverpool's results as I am ours. I like Liverpool actually except for Michael Owen (both for the 2001 cup final and his personality). Always had a soft spot for them (and Palace for a couple of personal reasons) and I liked that 'scouse' tag due to its poor / working class associations. As well as one or two things in their history. But I don't want to see anyone equal our record and when the big money came into the league starting with Roman, I knew our unbeaten streak was going to be threatened by the sheer weight of the amount of money thrown at teams by their owners.

To be fair, Liverpool did it the 'right' way through canny buying and not from billionaires flooding them with cash to buy anything under the sun. My anxiety driven fears each season have possibly come to fruition. They could have done it last season. City are fully capable of it. And didn't Mourinho only lose one game one season for Chelsea?

This is a depressing season. Losing consistently to Chelsea, Tottenham and Man Utd for a time was grueling as well. With the odd blow out from either of them.

Post #508725  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:02 pm 

In America we start an impeachment trial that is going in this order. 1. Innocent. 2. A trial 3. Using the exoneration to say 'see, we were right'. The irony is that if there was a secret vote Trump would be convicted. He operates by fear in his own party.

America has no reliable allies. None. We have alienated EVERY ally. Possibly Israel but its a transactional relationship right now. They are well aware of his antisemitism despite having a Jewish son in law and a converted daughter. They are fully aware that the supremacists who were chanting "Jews will not replace us' as they marched in Virginia were called "decent people' by Trump. They are getting what they want (US Embassy in Jerusalem, possible war with Iran and full support against the Palestinians) because Trump has traded zealot evangelical support for their wanting to play out book of Revelations apocalyptic prophesies to speed up a return of the Messiah. (yeah, its that crazy).

Anyway, the 'special relationship' with the UK is in tatters. Europe rightfully sees him as a dangerous buffoon. What has not been discussed within America because we like to see ourselves as the Romans viewed themselves is that we are a broken country. If 4 years later, Trump, with all the insanity, still has a core 40% give or take, support, it means the American people are a broken people. There are simply not enough 'good' people to counter the ones that reinforce every negative American stereotype.

The first thing I am asked in cabs abroad is my opinion of Trump and the person judges you based solely on that answer. I am not offended. When you have someone in charge of nukes and over a quarter of the world's GNP who is clearly off his rocker, its disconcerting.

I think Bernie Sanders can get the nomination and win but the damage has already been done. We're reminiscent of the last days of the Roman Empire, debased currency, living on past glories, endemically corrupt and morally broken. I would wonder how the Germans could let the Nazis get so much power and it was hard to comprehend...until now. It's surreal.

Post #508726  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:36 pm 

Do you know what.
Even if we get hammered 3 0 tonight I'm still going to be right behind Mikel.
Throughout the rest of this season through the summer and into next season.
He is the man I wanted and unlike some Arsenal fans who change their opinion based on the result from one game to the next I'm sticking by him.
There is something fresh about Mikel.
Something that says he is in control and 'knows' where he is going and where he wants to take us.
I love the way he communicates and sees his job as a privilege.
Him all day along over people like Allegri and Mourinho.
We needed a massive reset and to start from scratch and from basics.
Glad to see the hierarchy agreed and went for him.
He needs time and patience and a few windows. I really hope some of the fan base don't turn with a few bad results.
Would love to win today but would take a draw.
Not the end of the world.
We are a few steps down a long pathway with Mikel. I have faith.

Post #508727  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:14 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
FINIS

NZ 8 Germany 0

Good God, how on earth you can accuse me of muddying the water, I’ve no idea. In my view I walked to victory in this debate, like others you’ve opposed me on, whether or not you eventually end up making it New Zealand 50 Germany 0. Dream on. If ‘FINIS’ is FINISH misspelt and if that means you’re not going to keep responding with utter drivel then hallelujah.

Gosh ...when you are not rambling on about the " Ipcress File " you can be quite emotional .

:laughing7: furthering your education FINIS is not mispelt Finish .... it is Latin for The End

NZ 9 Germany 0

Post #508728  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:29 pm 

david.d wrote:
Do you know what.
Even if we get hammered 3 0 tonight I'm still going to be right behind Mikel.
Throughout the rest of this season through the summer and into next season.
He is the man I wanted and unlike some Arsenal fans who change their opinion based on the result from one game to the next I'm sticking by him.
There is something fresh about Mikel.
Something that says he is in control and 'knows' where he is going and where he wants to take us.
I love the way he communicates and sees his job as a privilege.
Him all day along over people like Allegri and Mourinho.
We needed a massive reset and to start from scratch and from basics.
Glad to see the hierarchy agreed and went for him.
He needs time and patience and a few windows. I really hope some of the fan base don't turn with a few bad results.
Would love to win today but would take a draw.
Not the end of the world.
We are a few steps down a long pathway with Mikel. I have faith.

:53big-emoticons: I feel exactly the same Dave . The attitude of the team , style of play , personel has been all wrong under the last three managers [ if you count Ljungberg's short disastrous tenure ]

Old habits die hard , when you see the spurt of activity after Sheffield equalised then they lapsed back into that ineffectual cross field going nowhere rubbish that has hamstrung Arsenal for the last six years .

This isn't going to be remedied 'overnight '.

Post #508729  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:30 pm 

The channel the match is on has a show going on now called 'Soccerbox' with Gerrard and Neville and they play games they were in and its great hearing the back stories of games, players, environment.

I would love to see a show (if there is, I don't know) where they would do that with other players who were on rival sides. There was a show with Vieira and Keane that I liked.

I'd like to see a show with Sherringham and maybe big Tone or whomever. I hate Sherringham. Hate him with a passion. But would love to hear him talk about the rivalry when he was with both Tottenham and Man Utd. I'd like to see the same with the Northeast derby as well. And a twist, the fans/firms of Millwall and West Ham as swell as the players.

Post #508730  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:31 pm 

As far as the game, obviously I'd love a win but a draw may be the only thing we are capable of right now. I feel HOW we play is the most important thing. When we lost 2-1 to them, I left the game thinking we looked great in the first half and even though it was only for a half, we usually didn't turn up much against the rival sides.

Post #508731  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:51 pm 

DHD wrote:

:icon_mrgreen: Thanks for that DH ...saves me racing into all the liquor outlets breathlessy gasping " Have you got any Cobra "

Not so sure the " author " would be thanking you for broadcasting that ...... I'd say he values his anonymity .

Post #508732  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:52 pm 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

Shows everyone has their own tastes. I’ve not watched a single second of it myself but I know two different people who have. One thought it was average, the other called it crap (the exact word used).

Well thanks for that Bern. You don’t sound too cheerful.

Post #508733  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:05 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
DHD wrote:

:icon_mrgreen: Thanks for that DH ...saves me racing into all the liquor outlets breathlessy gasping " Have you got any Cobra "

Not so sure the " author " would be thanking you for broadcasting that ...... I'd say he values his anonymity .

I’m sure he’ll learn to live with such fame KP. And grow. Or maybe just leave the country and sue.

Personally, I’m still licking my wounds from your last and most vicious attack, you nasty old noswoc. Just as well you lost yer ‘ampsteads years ago. All those years of chewing solder. Talk about being savaged by a dead sheep.

Post #508734  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:23 pm 

I see Bellerin has some dangling cross earrings on in warm up. I'm hoping he takes them off for the game.

Post #508735  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:37 pm 

If AMN isn't injured I find the Bellerin inclusion baffling. He hasn't looked the same player since his comeback from injury and how can he possibly be ready for a game of this magnitude.

It's not like AMN has been playing poorly either.

Post #508736  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:13 pm 

Hmm. Flame machines on the pitch before the game.

We’ve come a long way from the days of the Metropolitan Police Band.

Post #508737  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:39 pm 

We are just dreadful.

No passing

No combination football

No one twos

Just awful

Post #508738  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:41 pm 

Game over.

Post #508739  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:41 pm 

Oh well.

Post #508740  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:41 pm 

Wtf!!!

Mustafi is a complete joke.

Post #508741  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:42 pm 

And Chelsea are a horrible shower of *****.

Post #508742  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:42 pm 

Classic Mustafi and it’s all over again

We are appalling. The crisis continues

Post #508743  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:42 pm 

What is the *%^@*** point.

Dreadful pass from Mustafi but good grief we have been dismal.

Post #508744  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:42 pm 

We need a back line and this just illustrates the need. We may end up losing this one by 3 or 4 goals. Lampard chose a side with pace all over the pitch. Very smart move.

Post #508745  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:42 pm 

*%^@*** Mustafi

Post #508746  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:43 pm 

I thought if you gave away a penalty for denying a goal scoring opportunity then you don’t get a red card. The point being that you haven’t stopped the clear goal scoring opportunity! They have the penalty! I thought the rule changed so it’s a red outside the box but a yellow inside the box

Post #508747  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:43 pm 

We have Holding. Why start Mustafi when you aren't forced to?

Post #508748  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:44 pm 

I wish Mustafi was our for the season. I hate the useless *%^@*** idiot. Abysmal excuse for a footballer. And Luiz is a clown.

Post #508749  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:45 pm 

Rich wrote:
I thought if you gave away a penalty for denying a goal scoring opportunity then you don’t get a red card. The point being that you haven’t stopped the clear goal scoring opportunity! They have the penalty! I thought the rule changed so it’s a red outside the box but a yellow inside the box

Wasn't that a similar case to the CL final against Barca?

Post #508750  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:46 pm 

You can not play Mustafi in a team that you are getting pressed from the back. The commentator said a few minutes before Chelsea should close down every player except Mustafi because he seems nervous each touch.

Post #508751  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:46 pm 

Rich wrote:

They just made that exact point on Sky.

Post #508752  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:47 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Well the rules were different back then, the ref in the CL final had two choices he could send Lehmann off or play the advantage and give the goal.
I thought the rule had changed to avoid the double punishment of red card AND penalty because the reason the red card is given is denying the goal, but all you’re doing is delaying the goal as the penalty is such a gift wrapped opportunity

Post #508753  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:48 pm 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Well the rules were different back then, the ref in the CL final had two choices he could send Lehmann off or play the advantage and give the goal.
I thought the rule had changed to avoid the double punishment of red card AND penalty because the reason the red card is given is denying the goal, but all you’re doing is delaying the goal as the penalty is such a gift wrapped opportunity

No, it’s still a red for deliberate fouls. They relaxed the rule for accidental fouls, whatever they are

Post #508754  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:49 pm 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:

They just made that exact point on Sky.

Ok, just read that if it is considered an attempt to play the ball it is no red card, as Luiz just shoves him so not considered an attempt for the ball it can still be a red card apparently

Post #508755  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:49 pm 

Mustafi is a joke of a footballer.

Post #508756  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:49 pm 

But this situation will tell us a lot about the motivation of this set of players.

Let’s see how they respond

Post #508757  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:50 pm 

It is Mustafis fault and god knows he’s hopeless but our defence is always under constant pressure because we as a team are unable to move the ball up the pitch or retain possession. It doesn’t help.

This is a full blown crisis again. We’ll be 12th and a couple of wins off relegation again with Luiz serving a 3 match ban.

Post #508758  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:52 pm 

It’s going to be Pépé isn’t it

Post #508759  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
It is Mustafis fault and god knows he’s hopeless but our defence is always under constant pressure because we as a team are unable to move the ball up the pitch or retain possession. It doesn’t help.

This is a full blown crisis again. We’ll be 12th and a couple of wins off relegation again with Luiz serving a 3 match ban.

Luiz 3 match ban is a blessing. A useless member of them at CB.

Post #508760  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:53 pm 

This may actually be a good time to turn to Sky to see what COBRA is all about.

[ 571641 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12716, 12717, 12718, 12719, 12720, 12721, 12722 ... 14292  Next