Fixtures Weds April 17th - Bayern Munich - Allianz-Arena - UEFA Champions League - 8:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], mcquilkie, warrior and 43 guests

Post #508681  Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:17 pm 

socrates wrote:
Darren wrote:
What this Liverpool side are doing is unprecedented. 91 points from 93?? That’s *%^@*** incredible. I think we are witnessing the best PL side yet, regardless of whether they go undefeated or not.

You would think that at some point they would have a bad day at the office, or an injury crisis, or the opposition would score a couple of worldies or they would suffer some bad refereeing decisions but none of these seem to be happening at the moment.

If they progress in the Champions League, and there’s no reason to think they won’t, and they get the Premier League win confirmed very early, might Klopp start resting players in the domestic league? That could weaken the side and stop them remaining undefeated.

Having said that, I’m probably being over optimistic. Even though they still have sixteen games left, I do now expect them to finish the Premier League season undefeated, and to drop quite a number of points less than we did (24 from drawing twelve games).

Post #508682  Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:33 pm 

Maybe they have but Liverpool seems to rarely make a bad big signing. Signings may leave but not before they have made a huge impact (Suarez, Coutinho) and not because they are flops. Man Utd has had a lot of flops. Chelsea a few as well. Liverpool seems to research very well who their target is and they seem to slot right in.

Post #508683  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:09 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
You would think that at some point they would have a bad day at the office, or an injury crisis, or the opposition would score a couple of worldies or they would suffer some bad refereeing decisions but none of these seem to be happening at the moment.

If they progress in the Champions League, and there’s no reason to think they won’t, and they get the Premier League win confirmed very early, might Klopp start resting players in the domestic league? That could weaken the side and stop them remaining undefeated.

Having said that, I’m probably being over optimistic. Even though they still have sixteen games left, I do now expect them to finish the Premier League season undefeated, and to drop quite a number of points less than we did (24 from drawing twelve games).

I don't think they'll do it (go unbeaten).

I still sometimes have trouble believing we did it.

It's an almost mythical thing to do.

I'm sure everyone knows that before us only Preston did it, in the League's first season. As an aside they were proven to have paid their players so I don't think that one should count. Anyway, when we did it I got my book of league tables out and looked through all the divisions because I wondered if it had happened in the lower leagues. In the whole history of all the divisions I only found one other unbeaten league season and that was from the 1890s (from memory) in Division II, and it was ironically Liverpool. Three times total.

Banana Split man won't make it four.

(opinions subject to change as the season wears on)

Post #508684  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:33 am 

I thought the the villa went unbeaten as well in around about eighteen/canteen

Post #508685  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:37 am 

Thinking about it that was the double villa won along with PNE.

Post #508686  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:41 am 

(edit - Rog, what sort of link to I use to get utube up here? I'm obviously being a bit stupid here but I can't get it right)

You just put the last bit in of the URL in between the YouTube tags

Last edited by warrior on Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Link fixed

Post #508687  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:51 am 

socrates wrote:
The sad thing is that we probably need a major signing or two this January because we need a load of players and you can't buy them all in one summer so you need to add in every window you can or else face years in the wilderness.

CB and RB will do, preferably made of something other than breadsticks.

Post #508688  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:06 am 

Darren wrote:
What this Liverpool side are doing is unprecedented. 91 points from 93?? That’s *%^@*** incredible. I think we are witnessing the best PL side yet, regardless of whether they go undefeated or not.

It is an amazing record. At the same time when every other match-up in the league is a lottery which I think is a symptom of the organisation and strength of the rest of the league.

I still think they'll come unstuck before the season is over though. Like Exiled said, just one banana skin and they can lose.

Post #508689  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:11 am 

Rich wrote:
Had a debate today about how strong the league is at the moment, or how you determine the strength of the league.

A few seasons back I think 5/6th place was on something like 70 points. The big 6 swept everyone aside. Is that a stronger league than we have now where we have a single phenomenal team but everyone else is beating each other. Have the best teams got worse or have the weak teams improved?

With the huge jump in tv money, and the fact it’s distributed evenly has allowed teams in the bottom 3 to sign £30m players. They can bring moments of quality to win games that these teams just didn’t have before. I think it has condensed the league.

I wouldn't discount the impact of technology as well with all the clubs now having access to video footage and mountains of data and analysis. If utilised properly, this gives them statistical analysis of strengths, weaknesses, speeds, team stamina, times in match where teams are scored against (I.e. losing focus), tactical gaps, etc that improves their odds of results.

Post #508690  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:35 am 

Rich wrote:
Had a debate today about how strong the league is at the moment, or how you determine the strength of the league.

A few seasons back I think 5/6th place was on something like 70 points. The big 6 swept everyone aside. Is that a stronger league than we have now where we have a single phenomenal team but everyone else is beating each other. Have the best teams got worse or have the weak teams improved?

With the huge jump in tv money, and the fact it’s distributed evenly has allowed teams in the bottom 3 to sign £30m players. They can bring moments of quality to win games that these teams just didn’t have before. I think it has condensed the league.

I think the main reason is lack of ownership from the traditional top 6 clubs.

Arsenal and United have been set back by the consequences of American ownership and inability to innovate and stagnating.

Chelsea similar with Abramovich not really bothered about them anymore and probably wanting to sell.

Post #508691  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:10 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:

I'm sure everyone knows that before us only Preston did it, in the League's first season. As an aside they were proven to have paid their players so I don't think that one should count. Anyway, when we did it I got my book of league tables out and looked through all the divisions because I wondered if it had happened in the lower leagues. In the whole history of all the divisions I only found one other unbeaten league season and that was from the 1890s (from memory) in Division II, and it was ironically Liverpool. Three times total.

I really hope you (and grantyboy) are right. I don’t know; it (them going undefeated) has a certain sense of inevitability to me. If any team is capable of not being affected by it being an almost mythical (to use your term) thing to do, I think it’s this Liverpool team under Klopp. Indeed, rather than it making the unbeaten season less likely, if anything I can see Klopp successfully using it as a motivation to drive his players to do it.

Maybe I’m wrong (on Liverpool remaining undefeated and this point about Preston), but I’d have thought plenty of Arsenal fans would know they did it. It was reported a fair bit when we did it. I didn’t know they paid their players but I don’t really see that as a reason it shouldn’t be counted.

Post #508692  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:36 am 

Bernard wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

I really hope you (and grantyboy) are right. I don’t know; it (them going undefeated) has a certain sense of inevitability to me. If any team is capable of not being affected by it being an almost mythical (to use your term) thing to do, I think it’s this Liverpool team under Klopp. Indeed, I can see Klopp successfully using it as a motivation to drive his players to do it.

Maybe I’m wrong (on Liverpool remaining undefeated and this point about Preston), but I’d have thought plenty of Arsenal fans would know they did it. It was reported a fair bit when we did it. I didn’t know they paid their players but I don’t really see that as a reason it shouldn’t be counted.

Liverpool would have been 12 points in front of the invincibles at this stage of the season if they played the same season. The only real chance of Liverpool slipping up is City away, City will be hugely up for that game. We play Liverpool at home near the end of the season, if they are still in Europe (could be about semi final time I think) then we might have a chance of winning, but really I expect them to go unbeaten.

It is noticeable how their intensity levels have dropped from the past few seasons, it isn't a high 'heavy metal' press all the time, they pick and choose when to go. Even though, their fitness levels, both phsyical and lack of injuries, is incredible.

Post #508693  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:44 am 

socrates wrote:
The sad thing is that we probably need a major signing or two this January because we need a load of players and you can't buy them all in one summer so you need to add in every window you can or else face years in the wilderness.

It seems like only loan signings will be considered in Jan.
There is still a lot of work to do, much of it with outgoings. We've managed to shift a fair bit of deadwood in recent years but they were often peripheral players, there are still players in the first 11 who either shouldn't be here or should be a squad player only.

If you went through our squad of 25 and got rid of the 6 weakest players, then went through the 1st 11 and demoted the 6 weakest players to squad positions and bought in 6 1st team ready players we'd be on the right path. That for me is how squad building should happen. Not always that easy because players who were 1st 11 don't like being squad players so may seek a move as well.

They should be looking at a core of Leno, Bellerin (fitness permitting), Holding (fitness permitting), Saliba, Tierney, AMN, Saka, Torreira, Guendouzi, Pépé, Martinelli, Nelson as players who will be with us for the next 6 or so years (some mainly squad players). Maintain some quality older heads wherever possible and the rest are expendable.
Main targets need to be CB, Def Mid, RB, creative mid......and strikers if Aubamayang/Lacazette leaves

Post #508694  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:08 am 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I really hope you (and grantyboy) are right. I don’t know; it (them going undefeated) has a certain sense of inevitability to me. If any team is capable of not being affected by it being an almost mythical (to use your term) thing to do, I think it’s this Liverpool team under Klopp. Indeed, I can see Klopp successfully using it as a motivation to drive his players to do it.

Liverpool would have been 12 points in front of the invincibles at this stage of the season if they played the same season. The only real chance of Liverpool slipping up is City away, City will be hugely up for that game. We play Liverpool at home near the end of the season, if they are still in Europe (could be about semi final time I think) then we might have a chance of winning, but really I expect them to go unbeaten.

It is noticeable how their intensity levels have dropped from the past few seasons, it isn't a high 'heavy metal' press all the time, they pick and choose when to go. Even though, their fitness levels, both phsyical and lack of injuries, is incredible.

That’s pretty well how I see it too. I hope we’re both wrong but I’m not expecting us to be. As I said there just seems a sense of inevitability about the whole thing.

Post #508695  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:48 am 

goonerguru wrote:
Thinking about it that was the double villa won along with PNE.

Not seen you around much lately. How are things?

Post #508696  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:59 am 

Bernard wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

I really hope you (and grantyboy) are right. I don’t know; it (them going undefeated) has a certain sense of inevitability to me. If any team is capable of not being affected by it being an almost mythical (to use your term) thing to do, I think it’s this Liverpool team under Klopp. Indeed, rather than it making the unbeaten season less likely, if anything I can see Klopp successfully using it as a motivation to drive his players to do it.

The Preston one was but I didn't see the Liverpool one reported.

As for Preston's not counting because they paid their players - it was an amateur league at the time and many clubs got in trouble for paying players. Preston didn't, even though it was known about and it would appear the League knew and did nothing.

Anyway, here's Magic Man in Shoot from today in 1990 promising to be a good boy from now on. Oops.

Attachments:

Post #508697  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:21 am 

Life.

Attachments:

Post #508698  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:39 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I am sure this will not be a popular post as most are trying to see rainbows after Artetas appointment.

Not seeing any improvement in this team at all. Bit more enthusiasm, but I am not seeing the players getting into triangles, not seeing better passing, indeed it is much worse. And again we just didn’t turn up until 15 minutes had gone by. Poor decision making is a constant. We hardly created any chances at all and as the home side you needed to look at the fixture to realise it. Tactically I am not sure Arteta knew what to do to change this game.

Jury still out for me on Arteta. I just am not sure he is the manager to rebuild the club. No excuses he played Xhaka & Torreira as people keep calling for. But this was dismal. Thankfully I did not pay good hard money to watch that tripe.

I think he's done better than that but having watched the match just now thought we were astonishingly dire for the first 40 minutes so can understand how you feel that way.

Post #508699  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:41 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:

True, I knew nothing of the Liverpool one until I read your post. Assume it went unreported because it wasn’t in the top league.

Post #508700  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:11 am 

Bernard wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

True, I knew nothing of the Liverpool one until I read your post. Assume it went unreported because it wasn’t in the top league.

My thoughts as well.

Post #508701  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:24 pm 

A lot of transfer buzz surrounding the club and its exciting to some extent. Arteta is shaking things up it seems in a good way. We need to be shook up.

I like that Arteta seems to have no respect for anyone's station but talent and if you work hard and will put in a shift.

Post #508702  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:29 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I am sure this will not be a popular post as most are trying to see rainbows after Artetas appointment.

Not seeing any improvement in this team at all. Bit more enthusiasm, but I am not seeing the players getting into triangles, not seeing better passing, indeed it is much worse. And again we just didn’t turn up until 15 minutes had gone by. Poor decision making is a constant. We hardly created any chances at all and as the home side you needed to look at the fixture to realise it. Tactically I am not sure Arteta knew what to do to change this game.

Jury still out for me on Arteta. I just am not sure he is the manager to rebuild the club. No excuses he played Xhaka & Torreira as people keep calling for. But this was dismal. Thankfully I did not pay good hard money to watch that tripe.

I think he's done better than that but having watched the match just now thought we were astonishingly dire for the first 40 minutes so can understand how you feel that way.

The bloke has been manager for one month. Bloody hell give him a chance.

Post #508703  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:23 pm 

tomc wrote:

While I agree with you tomc, it also goes the other way. I saw people declaring him as the right man for the job after two or three games. Both sides of the argument are arguably being made too soon, at least without some sort of ‘first impressions’ qualification. First impressions are inevitable. But in my opinion it’s too early to decide on Arteta, either way.

Post #508704  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:01 pm 

tomc wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

He also has the most average squad Arsenal have possessed since the mid 80s in my opinion. Few players capable of winning games. An ineffective midfield and youngsters being thrown in the deep end out of position.

Simply a recipe for disaster

He has at least got the players working harder, he worked out that we need to be tighter and at least has won the goodwill of the squad back.

Really my advice is don’t expect anything from the rest of the season, 6 wins out of 23 tells a story everyone really needs to know.

Post #508705  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:42 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Using the staying up formula ...... Terry Mancini as well :icon_mrgreen: .

This was the post that started it.

Morning Bernard

I know full well what started it .....Exiled said Rimmer and Kidd helped us stave off relegation and I added the above .

I'm not saying Mancini saved us by himself ... you got that bit ..... okay moving on .

Our results were dire before he arrived , then they improved . Bertie Mee gave him credit for lifting spirits in the dressing room thus improving results ....with me so far

"Charlie George was closer to Mee than you or I " so what ..... another smokescreen effort .

MEE SOLD HIM ; so Charlie is probably still nursing a gigantic chip on his shoulder the same way as Paul Davis is about George Graham .

This isn't a debate like "Supply and Demand " " Wiltord v Ljungberg " where you managed to muddy the water ; throw red herrings in all directions , move the goalposts so that 5000 posts apiece later it was stalemate .

No no no ...pure and simple you lost :laughing7: on two ocassions .... on the same subject

FINIS

NZ 8 Germany 0

Post #508706  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:22 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Gidday Gaz ..... Arteta but has inherited probably the worst squad since the 1912 side .

There are no leaders , no national spine , awful defence , a paper mache midfield , with a hit and miss attack

For too long these players have been molly coddled wrapped up in cotton wool shielded from criticism

Overpaid and underperforming , the skill levels are really so poor .

When David Luiz is standing rooted to the ground , watching while the opposition guy half a metre away takes a free header . I just cannot figure that one .

Mikel has a major job on his hands

Post #508707  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:02 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
FINIS

NZ 8 Germany 0

Good God, how on earth you can accuse me of muddying the water, I’ve no idea. In my view I walked to victory in this debate, like others you’ve opposed me on, whether or not you eventually end up making it New Zealand 50 Germany 0. Dream on. If ‘FINIS’ is FINISH misspelt and if that means you’re not going to keep responding with utter drivel then hallelujah.

Post #508708  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:32 am 

tomc wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Before you get all binary. I didn't say I wasn't giving Arteta a chance and actually think he's done reasonably well since joining. At the very least to increase commitment and improve the team shape and defensive structure.

What I was doing was sharing the observation of Gaz that for large chunks of the Sheffield match we were largely crap (misplaced passes, poor movement, static positioning, missed chances). There are a myriad of reasons why that could be the case (Injuries, suspensions, very young players filling in, new tactics, etc) but my comment on the match performance has nothing to do with Arteta's future.

P.s. and I also agree with Bernard on whether Arteta is the right or wrong guy and it's still too early to tell. I'm not convinced of either but can understand both sides of the fence while I sit firmly on it.

Post #508709  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:33 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Gidday Gaz ..... Arteta but has inherited probably the worst squad since the 1912 side .

There are no leaders , no national spine , awful defence , a paper mache midfield , with a hit and miss attack

For too long these players have been molly coddled wrapped up in cotton wool shielded from criticism

Overpaid and underperforming , the skill levels are really so poor .

When David Luiz is standing rooted to the ground , watching while the opposition guy half a metre away takes a free header . I just cannot figure that one .

Mikel has a major job on his hands

I agree that this is a major rebuild. There are lots of positives and at least hope for the future. Then I see that we are looking at some left back who is injury prone & not motivated. Are you sure we are going forward. Does Arteta have any say at all or is it a signing he wants. I will be interested to see how we go against Chelsea. One of my problems is I don’t think a leopard does change their spots and I wonder when a few will revert to type. First half against Leeds and second against Crystal P as an example. Have they really bought into the revolution or do they pretend to until the going gets tough. Not a great squad but then even Wenger took 8 at Man U before he did a panic buying spree.

Post #508710  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:29 am 

I was watching youtube highlights of the left back at PSG we are getting in the summer and he looks great. Tierney is going to have to fight for his position. That LB seems like he could even be a winger.

Post #508711  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:33 am 

I am sad, not disappointed, with AMN. The kid has strong potential to be a very good player. But he tends to switch off momentarily and get careless. Not sure if he is trying too hard to send knife-edge passes, or simply lump it. Too many misplaced passes, and that terrible cross the other night. Is he losing motivation because he knows he is not first choice for right midfield?

Post #508712  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:29 am 

gooner7 wrote:
I am sad, not disappointed, with AMN. The kid has strong potential to be a very good player. But he tends to switch off momentarily and get careless. Not sure if he is trying too hard to send knife-edge passes, or simply lump it. Too many misplaced passes, and that terrible cross the other night. Is he losing motivation because he knows he is not first choice for right midfield?

I reckon one should look at AMN as a squad back up rather than an automatic choice for the first team at either right back or midfield. I’m uncomfortable with the way people (not just you in this specific case) so often seem to fall back on questioning players’ motivation and therefore attitude (I don’t see how one can be questioned without the other). I’ve not seen anything wrong with AMN in that respect.

As a squad back up, I see him as good enough. As a first choice regular, on the evidence so far (and he has played plenty of games) I don’t. He isn’t a great (or even particularly good) passer of the ball. Moreover, if he can’t pass the ball at right back he won’t be able to from midfield so I remain unconvinced about the ‘playing out of position’ excuse. Indeed, I reckon a poor passer is likely to be exposed in midfield even more than at right back. Some may disagree with that, but it’s the way I perceive things at this point.

A useful squad member without being up to the mark to be a first choice. If he ever becomes a regular or first choice, I’d say that would be a very long way from good news.

Post #508713  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:12 am 

Hmm....I wonder if the deal for Guimaraes can still get done? The highlights look good.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... w-21321228

Post #508714  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:13 am 

I also wonder how the atmosphere around the club is. Hodd?

Post #508715  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:38 am 

According to arsenal.com it's Mkhitaryan's birthday...lol. Forgot he is still an Arsenal player. Wonder if Arteta has considered him.

Post #508716  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:04 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Then I see that we are looking at some left back who is injury prone & not motivated.

Can’t say I’ve ever seen him so what makes you say he’s unmotivated? If he misses lots of games through injury, the injury prone comment may have more substance. You, to be fair, gave strong warnings about Tierney’s injury record that others seemed to disagree with. As things turned out, with his first season almost being a write off (nine starts as the first choice left back), maybe it’s difficult to claim you were being unduly pessimistic on that score?

Anyway, I feel what’s still more debatable is Tierney’s quality. In his first couple of games against Forest and Liege at home he did look good going forward. But when they attack are Forest and Liege around the same sort of level he would have faced week in week out in the Scottish league? How much defending did he have to do at Celtic when they weren’t playing Rangers? Was it possible to tell how good a defender he was before he joined? I’m not certain it is.

Having said that, if he can stay fit I’m glad we signed him. Sadly it can be argued that his injury record showed, and it still showing, why his transfer fee was a lot less that lots of top left backs would cost, including the bloke at Leicester according to reports.

Post #508717  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:03 am 

I can't say I'm especially optimistic about tonight's game. Chelsea are not a great side and are inconsistent but I think we are even worse.

A better work ethic from the players is a positive thing but it can't really hide the fact that we are lacking quality.

If Pépé turns it on and Martinelli has his finishing boots on I give us a puncher's chance but not really much more.

Post #508718  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:38 am 

Walked in the living room yesterday and my son was watching a “classic” game from 2010 where we lost away to Wigan 3-2.

Our midfield 3 was Craig Eastmond, Diaby and Nasri at no10 with Rosicky and Walcott wide. Despite losing we looked quite fluid on the ball and I got wondering if I would swap that 11 for the one we have now. That’s how bad we are at the moment.

Post #508719  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:13 pm 

The Arsenal today in 1950. Get your Brylcream out.

Attachments:

Post #508720  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:15 pm 

btw if you look at the back of that one you can see it was re-used for a Cup Final feature. This was part of a big feature in the Picture Post.

Attachments:

[ 571628 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12715, 12716, 12717, 12718, 12719, 12720, 12721 ... 14291  Next