Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 92 guests

Post #507161  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:16 am 

Greeny wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I'm skeptical about Arteta. I don't know to what degree is City's success owed to him.

How can you be skeptical?

It's been proved time and time again by well-substantiated explanations acquired through scientific methods and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation that the ONLY reason that Manchester City ( subsequently referred to as Citeh ) have had this level of success is the FACT that Arteta joined them as Assistant Manager in July 2016

Citeh were nothing before Mikel joined, and their bubble will burst as soon as he's confirmed to be our Manager

Oh ye of little faith...

Exactly Greeny, I am convinced that we will make a late run for the title under Arteta.

Post #507162  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:21 am 

I am looking forward to seeing what Arteta's first moves are, that might tell us a lot about him as a manager. Will he be ballsy enough to implement his ideas and philosophy, change the team shape and personnel immediately or will he persist with the current playing style and set-up until the new year when he will have more time to work with the players.

Post #507163  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:29 am 

Greeny wrote:
Goonie wrote:

I would take the job. The money is good! Just park the bus and play on the counter and demand for money to buy new players if results are not going your way.

The major problem I see with your idea is that we haven't even got a bus!

Second part of the plan - ask for money to buy players that can play parking the bus. I reckon we need at least two big black b*st*rds to form the spine of the team. No coincidence we haven't won the league after Vieira and Campbell were gone.

Post #507164  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:36 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Goonie wrote:

I would take the job. The money is good! Just park the bus and play on the counter and demand for money to buy new players if results are not going your way.

If you were already a millionaire living in a mansion in Manchester, married to Miss Spain, assistant coach for a team with endless money on a decent wage and likely to move into the managers hot seat when the current incumbent is likely to leave over the next 2 years.

Why on earth would you want to get involved in the absolute clusterfuck of epic proportions that is Arsenal. I’d rather take the England job and that shows how far we have fell.

He loves The Arsenal? I suppose he wants to make his own mark rather than having his success forever linked to Guardiola. He took a pay reduction when joining us from Everton so money not his main motivation. And i suppose he will still be married to his wife and lead a fairly comfortable life still after joining us.

Post #507165  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:38 am 

socrates wrote:
Greeny wrote:
How can you be skeptical?

It's been proved time and time again by well-substantiated explanations acquired through scientific methods and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation that the ONLY reason that Manchester City ( subsequently referred to as Citeh ) have had this level of success is the FACT that Arteta joined them as Assistant Manager in July 2016

Citeh were nothing before Mikel joined, and their bubble will burst as soon as he's confirmed to be our Manager

Oh ye of little faith...

Exactly Greeny, I am convinced that we will make a late run for the title under Arteta.

I truly believe Mikel Arteta has the ability to resolve the plight of Uighurs in China and get Mesut Özil playing to his full potential.

Glory beckons

Post #507166  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:49 am 

Mirror saying the deal is agreed

What I would say is that if he’s appointed let Freddie manage the side for the Everton game before taking charge and he can watch in the stands.

They are going to kick us all over the park and that match will be difficult

Post #507167  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:32 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Greeny wrote:
The major problem I see with your idea is that we haven't even got a bus!

Second part of the plan - ask for money to buy players that can play parking the bus. I reckon we need at least two big black b*st*rds to form the spine of the team. No coincidence we haven't won the league after Vieira and Campbell were gone.

Ooh, first time I see some big words from you .... big black b...... you are right though, they have more guts
Oops, I might have started a controversy :42laughter:

Post #507168  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:49 pm 

Arteta said his philosophy is total commitment to the cause. Good luck with that. I and a few others have said the squad has been bereft of belief and commitment for a few years now. Probably several years. I don't know what he'll do to get it. Maybe play more hungry young players. Martinelli has the hunger. Pépé, despite not coming good yet does.

In the end, it starts at the top. The players know Kroenke is an absentee owner who cares more for the LA Rams than they do. If we know that, they know that. Even the Emerati Sheikhs are at many of the matches.

Post #507169  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:11 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Ooh, first time I see some big words from you .... big black b...... you are right though, they have more guts

Four would be ideal. The other two can be white. :1laughter:

Anyway I don't get our unhealthy fascination with the Spanish model - hasn't been very successful since 2006. Please just go back to the skill, speed, strength and size model...

Post #507170  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:11 pm 

Goonie wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Anyway I don't get our unhealthy fascination with the Spanish model - hasn't been very successful since 2006. Please just go back to the skill, speed, strength and size model...

Are you Goonie's son borrowing the comp from your father? :42laughter:

Post #507171  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:37 pm 

I may have sounded pessimistic but I'm really cheering for Arteta to succeed. His not managing a club is worrisome as well as the fact Emery was chosen over him last time. They didn't choose Mikel for a reason. I'm not even sure if he was first runner up to Emery.

Post #507172  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:00 pm 

Is Arteta the answer .... of course I've no idea but ...

I've never seen him exhibit any sort of emotion . Smile , laugh , gesticulate , swear , curse ....anything at all on or off the field .

He seems a bit wooden to me .

When you see Sokratis spraying a ball back across the goal ; the one where Chambers got disposessed that would have led to a goal if Sterling had been a bit more assertive

.... you know our defenders are really really stupid that is such a basic No No .

Has Mikel the nous to turn that around I don't think so .

My son came in yesterday and said " I've just watched the highlights and I reckon the local high school team could defend better " He's not wrong .

Post #507173  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:12 pm 

kiwipete wrote:

I've never seen him exhibit any sort of emotion . Smile , laugh , gesticulate , swear , curse ....anything at all on or off the field .

When you see Sokratis spraying a ball back across the goal ; the one where Chambers got disposessed that would have led to a goal if Sterling had been a bit more assertive

.... you know our defenders are really really stupid that is such a basic No No .

My son came in yesterday and said " I've just watched the highlights and I reckon the local high school team could defend better " He's not wrong .

G'day kiwi

I think Arteta's appointment is an exciting one, but not necessarily in a good way. It is possibly the biggest gamble managerially in the history of the PL, like throwing your life savings on a horse that has never entered a race before but looks great on the gallops.

Literally anything could happen over the next few months because he has no managerial experience whatsoever. In time it might be seen as an inspired choice, conversely it might be seen as a stupid decision that simply flouted common sense. He might take to management like a duck to water or he might quickly be shown to be way out of his depth.

Interesting and exciting times with a dash of trepidation.

Post #507174  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:34 pm 

Goonie wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Not at all sorry to be that guy, perhaps just steer clear completely mentioning the colour of people’s skin in relation to abilities, temperament or stereotypes? I know you don’t mean to or think you’re being objectionable but, and I might just be speaking for me here, I’d rather not have phrases like big black b****** thrown around the forum in jest.

Post #507175  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:35 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Goonie wrote:

:laughing7: You get a pass being Singaporean if any of us "white boys " had mentioned the word ' black ' the PC brigade on here would be frothing at the mouth .

I take your point though Sol Campbell looked the part ; more so than Adams and Bould ; as did Marcel Desailley ...and there was centre half played for Birmingham in the mid eighties think his name was Blake ...? he was a mean looking sucker

EDIT
Hold on .... the Alzheimers hasn't got such a grip after all ... it trickled back to me ...Noel Blake ... just googled him ... here he is ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=towCLUJ0ZCw

I like the way he talks ... was a ferocious defender .

Next Arsenal manager for me .

Post #507176  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:39 pm 

socrates wrote:

G'day kiwi

I think Arteta's appointment is an exciting one, but not necessarily in a good way. It is possibly the biggest gamble managerially in the history of the PL, like throwing your life savings on a horse that has never entered a race before but looks great on the gallops.

Literally anything could happen over the next few months because he has no managerial experience whatsoever. In time it might be seen as an inspired choice, conversely it might be seen as a stupid decision that simply flouted common sense. He might take to management like a duck to water or he might quickly be shown to be way out of his depth.

Morning Soc ... :laughing7: and as per normal you have all the bases covered . A twenty dollar bet on all eventualities .

I've said it before .. I lived in England ; the first time 1973 - 75 trundled up to Highbury when Arsenal were in that relegation dogfight .
Locked in 'bottom of the table' mortal combat with other strugglers Tottenham , Sheffield Utd , Luton Town , Birmingham City and CARLISLE UNITED ......... remember them .

They were as you say exciting times but it was mortal combat ; results didn't always go our way but we FOUGHT no matter who the opposition .

These days ...??? Well who can identify with this side .

Keep Martinelli , Leno , Tierney , Martinez , Pépé , Saka , Willots , Smith Rowe ...... sell the rest and build a side who are proud to wear the shirt

Post #507177  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:40 pm 

socrates wrote:

Almost like appointing the club physiotherapist as manager eh? :26surprise:

Post #507178  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:58 pm 

When coaching at City Arteta coached Sterling on his finishing, he’s the main reason Sterling went from very promising youngster to almost golden boot winner from the wing.
Sterling missed an open goal on his left foot v Burnley and was so angry with himself he said ‘I didn’t do what Mikel taught me’
If Arteta is willing to work on the detail of someone simply striking the ball better with their left foot then I’d hope he’d be able to do something with the absolute horror show we have in defence

Post #507179  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:24 pm 

Good coach maybe but how is he supposed to deal with the volume issues he lands the moment he joins.

Can’t sell Mustafi,

Özil situation is a mess

Xhaka situation a mess.

Our full back positions are ravaged by injury with little money for replacements

There’s not a midfielder at the club who can play free moving one touch football.

Both our competent strikers want out and will leave this summer

You have an absentee owner letting his son play pretend CEO

The crowd are already restless before he joined. I mean is he likely to get booed off if we lose this weekend

I mean I wish him all the best but what are people expecting from Arteta.

Post #507180  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:28 pm 

socrates wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

G'day kiwi

He could be the Ozzie Ardiles type of manager and be gone by Easter.

Post #507181  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:36 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
socrates wrote:

Let’s dream and pretend they go on and win a double. Say even a local boy scores a screamer in the cup final that you may remember even when you are very old.

No your dreaming.

Post #507182  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:39 pm 

Just watching the Everton Leicester game. Jeez Ferguson put some balls into these players. Can I say balls. Or is that sexist or something. Anyway pens in the game

Post #507183  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:43 pm 

Everton in league cup action tonight with pretty much a full strength team, we kick off against them in about 52 hours time. I know they’ve got a bit of a bounce from big dunc but we should be sharper and fitter....let’s see if the desire is there to out run and out work a team who’ve had 90 minutes in their legs 2.5 days ago when we’ve had 6 days off

Post #507184  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:44 pm 

Are Leeds and Milwall the most hated clubs traditionally?

Post #507185  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:13 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Good coach maybe but how is he supposed to deal with the volume issues he lands the moment he joins.

Can’t sell Mustafi,

Özil situation is a mess

Xhaka situation a mess.

Our full back positions are ravaged by injury with little money for replacements

There’s not a midfielder at the club who can play free moving one touch football.

The crowd are already restless before he joined. I mean is he likely to get booed off if we lose this weekend

Hi TG,

I think a prime Alex Ferguson, in the days when you could throw teacups around, and physically and verbally intimidate players, would struggle to sort this mess out.

How do you motivate a multi-millionaire to put his body on the line when he knows that whatever happens he can still drive home to his ten bedroom mansion in his top of the range Bentley and never have to work again.

Post #507186  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:21 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Can’t sell Mustafi,

Özil situation is a mess

Xhaka situation a mess.

How do you motivate a multi-millionaire to put his body on the line when he knows that whatever happens he can still drive home to his ten bedroom mansion in his top of the range Bentley and never have to work again.

The thing is others seem to be, the city players are making just as much as our lot.

It’s just the attitude that resides within the club top to bottom. Nobody challenges each other. Why we haven’t got people like Martin Keown and others working around the club is beyond me.

Post #507187  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:25 pm 

:1laughter:
So obvious...

Mikel Arteta to manage his old club against his old club after his last game at his old club against his old club.

Attachments:
images.jpeg.jpg
images.jpeg.jpg [ 7.12 KB | Viewed 1657 times ]

Post #507188  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:48 pm 

Ash wrote:
Not at all sorry to be that guy, perhaps just steer clear completely mentioning the colour of people’s skin in relation to abilities, temperament or stereotypes? I know you don’t mean to or think you’re being objectionable but, and I might just be speaking for me here, I’d rather not have phrases like big black b****** thrown around the forum in jest.

My apologies everyone. Thank you, Ash.

Post #507189  Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:51 pm 

kiwipete wrote:

Yep, I remember my teacher / coach telling us that when I about 9.

Post #507190  Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:08 am 

long time gooner wrote:
socrates wrote:

I think that went over most people’s heads LTG!
He didn’t do too bad did he? And an absolute gentleman.I have a lovely photo somewhere of Billy Nicholson shaking his hand in congratulations after the Monday night game at WHL when Ray Kennedy scored to win the League. Great mutual respect.

Post #507191  Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:58 am 

Goonie wrote:
Ash wrote:

Oh Mama Mia Goonie .... what on earth are you apologising for .... you weren't disrespecting black people you were actually praising them .

It's exactly what this team needs , a big hard arse black guy ... we already have enough pukey gay boy effeminate WHITE nancified snowflakes .

Someone who can not only kick seven shades of sh***t out of the opposition but also tell Özil , Sideshow Bob , Sokratis , Chambers , Bellerin , Mkhitaryan and Mustafi a few home truths .

Post #507192  Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:53 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Oh Mama Mia Goonie .... what on earth are you apologising for .... you weren't disrespecting black people you were actually praising them .

It's exactly what this team needs , a big hard arse black guy ... we already have enough pukey gay boy effeminate WHITE nancified snowflakes .

Someone who can not only kick seven shades of sh***t out of the opposition but also tell Özil , Sideshow Bob , Sokratis , Chambers , Bellerin , Mkhitaryan and Mustafi a few home truths .

I think you should be apologising Kiwi for that casual use of the phrase 'mama mia'. Gooners of Italian heritage could easily be traumatised by your reckless language.

Post #507193  Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:31 am 

kiwipete wrote:
... we already have enough pukey gay boy effeminate ...

Pete, for your sake, I hope you never run into Ian Roberts in the midst of spouting that pathetic, tragic, old-man, homophobic nonsense. Other than that, I trust you're keeping well...

Post #507194  Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:45 am 

Post #507195  Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:57 pm 

Arteta hosts emotional gathering at City before leaving for Arsenal

https://www.football365.com/news/arteta ... or-arsenal

Post #507196  Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:21 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Yes Kiwi, And what colour are Aubameyang, Lacazette, Pépé, Guendouzi, Saka etc? Get in the sea with that *%^@.

Post #507197  Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:15 pm 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... ar-BBY9iAQ

A club with values shows how tis done.

Post #507198  Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:28 pm 

I am genuinely excited about the imminent arrival of Arteta.
I don't know what it is but this feels like a new dawn where the club has thought hard about this and realised it needs to go with a younger fresher man with hopefully new innovative ideas. Ancellotti its been reported was waiting for our call. Yes he is experienced and won many trophies but I wasn't keen on him and see him as yesterday's man.
I also just have a feeling that Arteta will do well given time and will have seen enough of us to know what needs to be done.
Anyone not on board can simply f@@k off. That includes Aubameyang and Lacazette if they don't fancy it.
More players like Martinelli please.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 53511.html

Post #507199  Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:26 pm 

david.d wrote:
I don't know what it is but this feels like a new dawn where the club has thought hard about this and realised it needs to go with a younger fresher man with hopefully new innovative ideas. Ancellotti its been reported was waiting for our call. Yes he is experienced and won many trophies but I wasn't keen on him and see him as yesterday's man.
I also just have a feeling that Arteta will do well given time and will have seen enough of us to know what needs to be done.
Anyone not on board can simply f@@k off. That includes Aubameyang and Lacazette if they don't fancy it.

Totally agree David re players getting behind Arteta. Anyone who's not happy knows where the door is. I hear Xhaka wants out too. Christmas has come early.

Post #507200  Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:03 pm 

david.d wrote:

There’s at least 6 we know want to go.

There could be a massive changing of the guard this summer

Aubameyang, Lacazette, Xhaka, Özil (if someone pays his daft wages, Xhaka and Torreira (there’s too much smoke about him not to be true)

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12677, 12678, 12679, 12680, 12681, 12682, 12683 ... 14269  Next