Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 90 guests

Post #506361  Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:33 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I am with Kiwi on this. Bundaberg rum & coke the nectar of gods. Downside is you sometimes think you are a god & things get ugly. Fighting nectar.

Bundi now that really is a nice drop .... evokes a few memories .

When I was a nipper ; about 24 ... went to Aussie ... got a job ; barman on South Molle Island ... befriended this old coot who had a fishing boat passing through ... "Ron the Ram " real ladies man .

He was probably in his late 40s ...seemed ancient then .

About six months later I've moved on , got a job driving a forklift down in Mackay .

Buying myself a hamburger one day , this bloke pulls up in a '67 Fairlane .... "Holy smoke it's Ron the Ram " we go for a few beers at some country pub ....... at 10 .30 they close , chuck the blow flies out but Ron knows the publican so we carry on drinking ...

About 1 .30 am about eight of us pile in the Fairlane drive out into the Wop Wops to some rundown donga .... real " Saltbush Bill " outfit .... a few Aboriginals in tow ... they cook up a feed involving octopus .

Jesus it was like trying to eat a couple of Michelin tyres . More booze , sing a bit of Slim Dusty ... then one of my new friends grabs a bottle of Bundaberg Overproof .... says to me " Let's going catch us a couple of Barra " ... we stagger down to a creek ..... he chucks in the line , then upends the bottle takes a hefty guzzle straight .

... " here ya go young fella get this into ya " ..... passes it to me . I don't want to let the side down so I do the same .

Jesus H Christ ...it's like I've ingested about six litres of battery acid . My insides are on fire , hair stands on end , nose running , eyes watering , cough up half a lung :blob8:

We didn't catch any fish but boy did I get p*ssed .

Anyone who hasn't experienced outback Australia hasn't lived :laughing7:

Excellent. Prime Kiwi :53big-emoticons:

Post #506362  Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:29 pm 

dec wrote:
The world and his wife was reporting that we hadn't 2 cents to rub together in the summer and we went and smashed our transfer record.

#itsallbullshit

It was reported at the time that we gambled on bringing in Pépé by bringing forward a large part of this coming summer's budget assuming we qualified for the CL. The longer we're out of it, the more we will see our ability to spend decrease. Whilst there's no 100% way of knowing the validity of this story, I really wouldn't be surprised if we're going to go for an untested coach due to financial constraints. Hopefully, I'm totally wrong on this. But if we do go for Arteta or similar then, whilst exciting, it may be for more pragmatic reasons.

Post #506363  Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:03 pm 

Darren wrote:
dec wrote:
The world and his wife was reporting that we hadn't 2 cents to rub together in the summer and we went and smashed our transfer record.

#itsallbullshit

It was reported at the time that we gambled on bringing in Pépé by bringing forward a large part of this coming summer's budget assuming we qualified for the CL. The longer we're out of it, the more we will see our ability to spend decrease. Whilst there's no 100% way of knowing the validity of this story, I really wouldn't be surprised if we're going to go for an untested coach due to financial constraints. Hopefully, I'm totally wrong on this. But if we do go for Arteta or similar then, whilst exciting, it may be for more pragmatic reasons.

I think it’s a pretty strong bet that a novice or untested manager comes in.

Rodgers would cost a fortune in compensation and salary
Pochettino similar
Ancellotti under contract
Allegri supposedly expensive but also demanding

They are the 4 that would make sense but I think to get one would be difficult.

The name that keeps cropping up that concerns me is Marcelino from Spain. He looks to be Emery mark 2 after winning a knockout cup, not great with English and managing some middle of the road Spanish sides. I could just see Kroenke doing that and the club concocting a PR story of how he impressed them at interview.

Personally I’d offer Rodgers or Pochettino any amount of money it took. Even if it means selling a player or 2 in January. Sell off smith Rowe or el Nenny to help get cash to fund it.

Raul is running the show it seems though so Arteta and Marcelino must have a good shout because of the Spanish thing.

This season could turn into an absolute disaster, it’s a long time since we have been in free fall like this.

Post #506364  Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:41 pm 

I find the idea that a manager may cost a lot of money a bit strange. Some of these managers were talking about have £12-14m ‘transfer fee’ and would presumably need a yearly wage of £5-10m

A top quality manager is as important if not more so than a top quality striker or centre half. The sums were talking about for managers are tiny compared to what the equivalent quality of player would cost

Post #506365  Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:56 pm 

One failing of our squad and manager was/is that we never seem to be able to obviously adopt a certain game plan. And I mean obvious in a way that is different enough to the norm that it is clearly noticeable to a fan as a chosen tactic rather than a result of what the opponents do.
For instance.
Today we’re going to press them all over the pitch
Today we’re going to sit deep, no full backs over half way, and hit on the counter
Today we’re going to play more direct
Etc etc

Most big teams don’t need to noticeably change their tactics, but we do.

I certainly see lesser teams change tactics against us and it work.

Do we have a bad management team incapable of coaching those tactics, or do we have inherently thick players who are incapable of picking up and sticking to tactical plans, or do we have players who are simply not good enough to carry out those tactics?
A bit from all 3 I’d say

Post #506366  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:01 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Quite right too. You were a mere shadow of your normal self when you were off the sauce.

Listen up Decaf ....

I've been on this forum since about 1994 [ I think ] and if you and those other two heartless bully boys Gaz and Socrates keep making an issue of my ocassional rum tipple I'm going to follow Bernard off the forum

.... I've got feelings you know :1cry:

Yes, you've always been something of a delicate flower, lacking in confidence and self-belief. It's one of the reasons why I took you under my wing and encouraged you to post even though I knew they would be the subject of ridicule.

I was hoping against hope that, given time and the benefit of my infinite wisdom, you would eventually begin to make posts that would not be a complete load of bollocks.

Sadly, however, my hopes have been dashed and it is clearly evident that the only time you make any kind of sense is when you are completely sozzled. :58big-emoticons:

Post #506367  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:16 am 

socrates wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Listen up Decaf ....

I've been on this forum since about 1994 [ I think ] and if you and those other two heartless bully boys Gaz and Socrates keep making an issue of my ocassional rum tipple I'm going to follow Bernard off the forum

.... I've got feelings you know :1cry:

Hoping against hope that, given time and the benefit of my infinite wisdom, you would eventually begin to make posts that would not be a complete load of bollocks.

Sadly, however, my hopes have been dashed

Keeps intact your perfect record then ....... .... you've been hopelessly wrong on every other ocassion .

Post #506368  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:20 am 

kiwipete wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hoping against hope that, given time and the benefit of my infinite wisdom, you would eventually begin to make posts that would not be a complete load of bollocks.

Sadly, however, my hopes have been dashed

Keeps intact your perfect record then ....... .... you've been hopelessly wrong on every other ocassion .

:laughing7:

Post #506369  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:52 am 

Rich wrote:
I used to think a good coach could take any back 4 and a pair of holding mids and turn them in to a functional, disciplined and hard to break down unit. I’m really not sure with the players we have. They lack so many of the basics and have had so long and show no sign of learning or improvement.
Gary Neville called Arsenal’s defence ‘uncoachable’ and its hard to argue

Luiz is another matter, but a player like Sokratis playing as badly as he did against Watford ... most notably suddenly electing to dribble across his penalty area and apparently try to beat a couple of opposing attackers ... I'm sure that is the product of bad coaching blunting what his natural instinct would have been, i.e. to hoof the ball upfield.

Playing in our defense, with highly confusing instructions and sporadic midfield cover, is probably enough to turn all but the most outstanding defenders into gibbering, confused wrecks. And since the decline of Kos we've lacked a leader in the defense.

Its amazing that Leno's confidence has stood up to it so well.

Post #506370  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:57 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Pochettino similar

The name that keeps cropping up that concerns me is Marcelino from Spain. He looks to be Emery mark 2 after winning a knockout cup, not great with English and managing some middle of the road Spanish sides. I could just see Kroenke doing that and the club concocting a PR story of how he impressed them at interview.

Personally I’d offer Rodgers or Pochettino any amount of money it took. Even if it means selling a player or 2 in January. Sell off smith Rowe or el Nenny to help get cash to fund it.

Raul is running the show it seems though so Arteta and Marcelino must have a good shout because of the Spanish thing.

This season could turn into an absolute disaster, it’s a long time since we have been in free fall like this.

Several points here for us deep thinkers TG ....

why would "Pochettino be similar to Rodgers " ....? he is out of work ...we only have to cough up a salary

You rabbiting on about a cheap solution ... there is no cheap solution

That wage outlay isn't going to be any less whether we get Arteta , Pochettino , Vieira or Big Sam .

Anyone with half a brain isn't going to say at the interview "Oh Gosh I really want this job at this really illustrious club , shucks I'll work for half a million a year "....

Whoever and their agent will know the " going rate "

Stop getting your nuts in a knot about some flaky Continental termite .... take it from me after the " Emery Experiment " the Kroenkes wont be bitten twice in the same manner .
Whatever shortcomings we think they have , they aren't stupid

Next up they'll get someone who knows the Premier League already ....... as a player or manager .

Arteta would be my choice in front of Vieira ....
as a player brilliant at Everton , good at Arsenal and with his Man City credentials , knows how a good side [ disregarding the obvious monetary advantages ] should operate .

Post #506371  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:09 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
DHD wrote:

I'm a time-served Grauniad man but I'm afraid I find David Squires the most un-funny cartoonist out there.

This guy on the other hand......

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/ng-interactive/2019/aug/24/stephen-collins-on-seagulls-cartoon

Fair enough, DHD, we obviously have a slightly different sense of humour! But don't tell me this Squires cartoon didn't get to you:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng ... er-arsenal

Sorry McQ - still does very little for me I'm afraid. I just find his stuff over-worked and leaden.

Post #506372  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:14 am 

Leno, AMN, Tierney, Sokratis, Holding, Xhaka, Guendouzi, Özil, Pépé, Saka, Aubamayang

I'd like to see us go out with this all out attack team tomorrow, high tempo, high press
Maybe 5 of these players shouldn't be in Arsenal's first 11 but if we're going to struggle I'd rather we were a bit more exciting and swashbuckling about it - especially at home to Brighton

Post #506373  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:26 am 

kiwipete wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Pochettino similar

Several points here for us deep thinkers TG ....

why would "Pochettino be similar to Rodgers " ....? he is out of work ...we only have to cough up a salary

Bizarrely, it seems that although they have fired him, Spuds still have a say over what he does next:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... son-would/

Post #506374  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:33 am 

Rich wrote:
Leno, AMN, Tierney, Sokratis, Holding, Xhaka, Guendouzi, Özil, Pépé, Saka, Aubamayang

I'd like to see us go out with this all out attack team tomorrow, high tempo, high press
Maybe 5 of these players shouldn't be in Arsenal's first 11 but if we're going to struggle I'd rather we were a bit more exciting and swashbuckling about it - especially at home to Brighton

Agree. I don’t think it’s going to be easy. In Potter they have a really, really good manager, one who is going places imo.

Post #506375  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:55 am 

Can't say I'm too impressed by the idea of Arteta. Seems to me that Man City is Pep's project - 100% - top to bottom. I just don't see Arteta having much influence. What he offers is the fact that he's worked with, watched and maybe learned from an acknowledged master. There's no evidence he'd be able to put what he's seen and learned into practice. Also, as far as I can recall, he won no trophies in his playing career and he never won an international cap - that sort of thing is important when it comes to earning players' respect. Lastly, and lest we forget, he was pretty bloody awful for us in his last few seasons - stunk the place out in fact with no obvious sign whatever of any tactical nous or insight.

Compare all that with Paddy who probably won more as a player than anyone before or since. He's a giant, both physically and in reputation. Instant respect in any company - and - he's been in sole charge of clubs for almost 4 years now; that's a proper grounding. I accept that he's never won anything as a Manager but then neither Nice nor New York City are 'winning' teams. Also, I can't see that he'd be a particularly expensive option. Vieira was the best mifdfielder I have ever seen and as I've said, he'd be my choice. My worry would be that he's apparently in the frame for Beckham's new club in Miami who come into being next February.

Post #506376  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:31 am 

DHD wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
Fair enough, DHD, we obviously have a slightly different sense of humour! But don't tell me this Squires cartoon didn't get to you:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng ... er-arsenal

Sorry McQ - still does very little for me I'm afraid. I just find his stuff over-worked and leaden.

And I don't think much of Stephen Collins, I have to say. Well, it's a game of opinions, Clive.

Post #506377  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:38 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
DHD wrote:

And I don't think much of Stephen Collins, I have to say. Well, it's a game of opinions, Clive.

Indeed McQ.

Chacun à son goût.

Post #506378  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:13 pm 

Ljungbergs comments after the match gave me some encouragement that he knows what to fix and how to fix it. He's had probably 3 or 4 training sessions so expecting to see some signs of improvement even if it's marginal. A 5-2 win will be acceptable. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #506379  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:48 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Ljungbergs comments after the match gave me some encouragement that he knows what to fix and how to fix it. He's had probably 3 or 4 training sessions so expecting to see some signs of improvement even if it's marginal. A 5-2 win will be acceptable. :icon_mrgreen:

Yeah or he’s got to go !

Post #506380  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:11 pm 

Rich wrote:

Holding not fully fit if not mistaken... I'd pick Torreira over Guendouzi.

Post #506381  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:16 pm 

Freddie, you are a club legend, but the little I've seen so far, you are out of your depth. Long term, we are better off waiting in the summer for Rodgers if, understandably, he won't leave Leicester mid season.
Arteta may be a great assistant but that doesn't mean he'd be a great manager. Pat Rice was a great assistant.

Freddie has too much handle to turn the ship right now. My personal opinion is work on team defense. I did see some of that. He had everyone tracking back. The way to win right now is more of the 1-0 to the Arsenal way if we can defend as a team. The Kevin Keegan style isn't going to work.

Post #506382  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:28 pm 

https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/ ... e-17362275

Pipe dream but if Simeone is getting itchy feet then is there a better 'available' manager in the world to fix our defence, our attitude, our work-rate, our off the ball positioning?

A manager with bags of personality who crafts teams in his own image. I feel that the Arsenal fans are dying to get on board with a charismatic firey manager, a bit of "us against the world".

One can but dream

Post #506383  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:09 pm 

Rich wrote:
https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/news/arsenal-next-manager-diego-simeone-17362275

Pipe dream but if Simeone is getting itchy feet then is there a better 'available' manager in the world to fix our defence, our attitude, our work-rate, our off the ball positioning?

A manager with bags of personality who crafts teams in his own image. I feel that the Arsenal fans are dying to get on board with a charismatic firey manager, a bit of "us against the world".

One can but dream

Nice idea Rich but as far as I'm aware, Simeone doesn't speak any English at all. Difficult to be a charismatic personality when nobody can understand you.

Post #506384  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:55 pm 

RIP Bob Willis.

A batsman could read a copy of War and Peace and eat a three course meal and he still wouldn't have finished his run up.

Amazing bowler.

Post #506385  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:22 pm 

Anybody got "Strollers" mobile number ??

Post #506386  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:52 pm 

A draw is the best result for us but if I have to choose a winner, I'd say Man Utd. I fear Mourinho more than I fear OGS
Really, hoping and praying Everton wins. Need LFC to get that loss and ease my weary heart.

Post #506387  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:13 pm 

It wouldn't surprise me if Liverpool wins 33 or 34 matches this season. I can easily see them breaking 100 points. Crazy.

Post #506388  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:31 pm 

Jeez that’s how low the season has got. I just watched the 2nd half of Man U Spurs & I wanted Man U to win.

As an Aussie Bob Willis was never one of my favourites but I thought every ball he bowled he gave 100%. Begrudging admiration for him. I just wish I saw some of that dedication in some of the Arsenal team.

Post #506389  Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:44 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Need LFC to get that loss and ease my weary heart.

Not looking too good for that.

Post #506390  Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:11 am 

Did you all hear the new joke? A Brit, a Frenchman and a Canadian walk into a room...oh you you've heard it? :42laughter:

Post #506391  Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:13 am 

We need all 3 points so we stay in contention. At this moment, on form, it looks like the first 3 CL places are locked up and of the remaining sides, Chelsea look the most dangerous. Although Tottenham and Man Utd are playing better than we are.

Post #506392  Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:12 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Freddie, you are a club legend, but the little I've seen so far, you are out of your depth. Long term, we are better off waiting in the summer for Rodgers if, understandably, he won't leave Leicester mid season.
Arteta may be a great assistant but that doesn't mean he'd be a great manager. Pat Rice was a great assistant.

Freddie has too much handle to turn the ship right now. My personal opinion is work on team defense. I did see some of that. He had everyone tracking back. The way to win right now is more of the 1-0 to the Arsenal way if we can defend as a team. The Kevin Keegan style isn't going to work.

Hey AG, only 1 match in and you are able to analyze the full capabilities of Freddie? Fantastic :53big-emoticons:

Post #506393  Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:01 am 

DHD wrote:
Can't say I'm too impressed by the idea of Arteta. Also, as far as I can recall, he won no trophies in his playing career and he never won an international cap - that sort of thing is important

Good point ..... sort of the same as Arsene Wenger and Alex Ferguson .

Post #506394  Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:08 am 

Just an opinion from the 'deer in the headlights' look he had last match. I really hope I'm wrong and would love for him to be wildly successful.

Post #506395  Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:24 am 

kiwipete wrote:
DHD wrote:
Can't say I'm too impressed by the idea of Arteta. Also, as far as I can recall, he won no trophies in his playing career and he never won an international cap - that sort of thing is important

Good point ..... sort of the same as Arsene Wenger and Alex Ferguson .

Morning KP.

AW had no sort of playing career but he had won French League with Monaco as a manager - and might well have won more if Marseilles hadn't fixed matches and bought their way to the top. AW was in demand all over Europe (notably Bayern M) before he left for Japan in protest at the corruption in French football. Ferguson never played international football - I think - but he'd been decent as a player with Rangers and he was enormously successful as a manager with Aberdeen, breaking the Old Firm's stranglehold on Scottish football and remarkably, winning a European trophy.

The comparison of both with Arteta in his current manifestation is pretty stark.

Post #506396  Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:37 am 

Silva losing to LFC shouldn't be one of the reasons he should be fired. Not with LFC's form. It's totally unfair using that match in the evaluation. That excepted, they are in relegation zone and I'm surprised he's still there.
Anyway, he seems on his way out. A few former gooners on there. Can't be fun for Walcott and Iwobi. Oxley-Chamberlain is giving thanks to his personal deity though.

Post #506397  Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:30 am 

Wow some of those Liverpool goals just great to watch. Can't get any more efficient and clinical. Always looking for one touch passes, shots, runs expecting the same. So good.

Post #506398  Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:35 am 

socrates wrote:
RIP Bob Willis.

A batsman could read a copy of War and Peace and eat a three course meal and he still wouldn't have finished his run up.

Amazing bowler.

Who can forget that curlied hair mop steaming up in that Headingly humiliation of the Aussies! Botham rightly got a lot of plaudits for his 149 but it was still a modest target for Oz. RGD Willis was like a man possessed. Never the jovial type but a very dry sense of humour who was widely admired.

Post #506399  Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:39 am 

I can see Liverpool going unbeaten this season. I would even see them winning every game here on in which would be quite amazing. I don't think they will but it's not unrealistic to think they will.

Post #506400  Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:40 am 

richie wrote:
I can see Liverpool going unbeaten this season. I would even see them winning every game here on in which would be quite amazing. I don't think they will but it's not unrealistic to think they will.

Are you Bernard in disguise? :laughing7:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12657, 12658, 12659, 12660, 12661, 12662, 12663 ... 14269  Next