Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 106 guests

Post #506321  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:16 am 

Rich wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
In hindsight, we should have used the 72 mil to buy a CB. We need more than 1 reliable one. This defence is letting the team down.

Pépé was bought primarily to give us a threat on the counter away from home. Someone who can dribble the ball and give width.

Morning Rich,

Pépé is an odd one. He has magical quick feet and the potential to do great things but for whatever reason is being sidelined by the coaches. He has certainly not hit the heights yet, bar the two free kicks, but has not been terrible either. Infact, he was probably our biggest threat in some of the games he did play.

His downside is he does try to dribble sometimes in inappropriate areas and gets caught in possession. His tracking back is not the best either.

I think he just needs games and the more the better. The last europa game would have been ideal but he was sidelined again. Some time in the gym building up his strength to help deal with the physical nature of the PL would be helpful as well.

Post #506322  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:29 am 

I very much doubt that we will persuade a top quality, international manager to take over this shambles. They would need so much cash just to invest in our poor defence and midfield that their demands for this support from KSE would immediately mean that they were out of the running.

In fact I strongly believe that Emery got the job precisely for this reason. He convinced KSE that a decent team was possible with minimal investment in defensive positions whereas other candidates probably told KSE the truth and were immediately binned in favour of the cheaper option.

In January we need two top quality CBs as Chambers, Luis, Sok and Mustafi are not good enough.

We also need an old fashioned midfield enforcer who can organise the team when we lose the ball. I remain to be convinced about Torreira (there must be a reason why they will not play him) and Xakha gets bypassed too easily although I feel we gain more as a team with him than without him. There seems more structure and organisation with him playing.

After this they just need to offload Özil and sort out the front three. Easy peasy!

Post #506323  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:36 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
Pépé was bought primarily to give us a threat on the counter away from home. Someone who can dribble the ball and give width.

Morning Rich,

Pépé is an odd one. He has magical quick feet and the potential to do great things but for whatever reason is being sidelined by the coaches. He has certainly not hit the heights yet, bar the two free kicks, but has not been terrible either. Infact, he was probably our biggest threat in some of the games he did play.

His downside is he does try to dribble sometimes in inappropriate areas and gets caught in possession. His tracking back is not the best either.

I think he just needs games and the more the better. The last europa game would have been ideal but he was sidelined again. Some time in the gym building up his strength to help deal with the physical nature of the PL would be helpful as well.

Morning Soc, It is a strange one. His dribbling stats are in the top 3-4 in the league even with the games he's missed. He's been part of a dis-functioning team, in which only Aubamayang has been able to perform at his ability threshold. There are plenty of extenuating circumstances for Pépé, new team, new league, no definable shape, tactics, formation. I agree his tracking back could be better - compare it with martinelli even in his brief appearances. Tracking back from forward players is something you either naturally have or it needs to be drummed in to you by coaches - a stick rather than carrot approach.
Pépé has also needed a few things to go his way when they haven't, that bad miss v sheff utd, the penalty not given v burnley, hitting the bar with the volley v southampton.
He's in Arsenal's best 11 players right now

Post #506324  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:40 am 

Rich wrote:
Can anyone who managed to watch the game tell us if there was any signs of improvement in any aspect?
The comms said the workrate and tempo seemed improved.

I thought in the first half we looked much better going forward actually, there was more running in the final third and we managed 5-6 shots on goal with a few of them being very dangerous chances. For most of this season that’s all we’ve been able to muster for a full 90 minutes, and often not event that.

Defense is obviously another story. But I have to say, as much as we need reinforcements, the players we have are not as bad as they look at the moment. No secret that I never really rated Luiz, bu the started 36 games for Chelsea last season and they were third in the leage, with only City and Liverpool letting in fewer goals. To me the team is just absolutely shot of confidence at the moment, especially in defense. As soon as we’re attacked our defenders drop deeper and deeper, as if they’re afraid of getting beat if they try to challenge. This leads to pretty much every chance from the oppontents being dangerous, because it’s so easy to get close to our goal.

Most important thing right now is to get some good results so the players feel we turned a corner and get some confidence back. I think that would go a long way to at least stabilize us a little until the new manager comes in.

Post #506325  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:44 am 

Pépé really is a mystery. He hasn't been what we hoped for so far, but he's shown glimpses of real talent. Fair enough if the coaches don't feel like he should be starting right now, but not sure how anyone expects him to improve if he doesn't get any minutes at all. Bench him in the league if you feel he has to work on a few things, but it's absolute madness to not let him play in the Europa League then.

Post #506326  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Morning Rich,

I wonder if he was a victim of pressure to bring back Özil?

If I was FL8 I'd drop Özil and the idea of playing with a number 10 without genuine width.

Post #506327  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:28 am 

We have some seriously good players at Arsenal. Unfortunately the team has no identity, pattern of play and is low in confidence. Add in some unconvincing central defenders and its a bit of a problem to say the least. But I cant help but think the right manager could develop a team from our squad who could comfortably challenge for a top four place.

Post #506328  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:40 am 

Bored wrote:
We have some seriously good players at Arsenal. Unfortunately the team has no identity, pattern of play and is low in confidence. Add in some unconvincing central defenders and its a bit of a problem to say the least. But I cant help but think the right manager could develop a team from our squad who could comfortably challenge for a top four place.

Our central defence and central midfield has very very few "seriously good players".

They are not just unconvincing central defenders, they are seriously *%^@ central defenders

Post #506329  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:02 am 

The Pépé thing is weird. So Freddie said he didn’t impress in training. Really, worse than Özil.

Saka is in no way ready for the premiership

Out of all the crazy decisions this is the maddest thing at the moment.

Post #506330  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:06 am 

Also nobody ever mentions it but we are getting killed at Right back at the moment. Chambers doesn’t look right there and the club will need to sign another right back of quality in the summer in the 26-30 age group. There’s a chance Bellerin may not be the same player.

There just seems problems everywhere

Post #506331  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:14 am 

Whoever comes in has a massive job when they arrive

Looking at that team yesterday, Mustafi, Luiz, Chambers, Kolasinac, Xhaka all simply nowhere near good enough

They will inherit the problem of Lacazette and Aubameyang who will clearly be off this summer so new strikers will be needed.

There isn’t an adequate right back at the club.

We still have expensive deadwood like Özil and mhikitaryan on the books

We need an experienced manager, unloading all this stuff on an Arteta or novice won’t work

Post #506332  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:56 am 

socrates wrote:
Still have absolutely no idea why Freddie gave Martinelli 5 mins (and only that because of added time).

Fair to say my first impressions of Freddie's team selection and decision-making were not particularly favorable.

Thought the same but then after a bit of thoughtful musing I've got the answer

... given the shambolic nature of our defending he wanted to chew up a bit of time so we could cling on for the draw .

Thank God we've got those three tough games out of the way Watford , Southampton and Norwich .... we must be due someone easy ... like Liverpool or Chelsea .

Post #506333  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:06 am 

Bored wrote:
We have some seriously good players at Arsenal.

Have we ...... ? care to sprinkle a few names around .

Post #506334  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
The Pépé thing is weird. So Freddie said he didn’t impress in training. Really, worse than Özil.

Özil was a world class player. Pépé not yet. New manager like he said in his post match interview giving players chance to prove what they're worth. Özil might train well and if he wants to be can be a genius. Pépé, did well in French league but confidence player full of his own boots with 70m signing.. I can almost guarantee that the young guy, Saka gave a little more of a *%^@ in training.

And, that is what the old Arsenal used to do so why wouldn't Ljunberg see that.

Post #506335  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:43 pm 

FA Cup 3rd round draw tonight, lots of minnows hoping to get a big team so they can cash in.....or in our case so they can get to the 4th round

Post #506336  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:46 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Özil was a world class player. Pépé not yet. New manager like he said in his post match interview giving players chance to prove what they're worth. Özil might train well and if he wants to be can be a genius. Pépé, did well in French league but confidence player full of his own boots with 70m signing.. I can almost guarantee that the young guy, Saka gave a little more of a *%^@ in training.

That’s all fine it’s just that if your in the toilet and we are in the absolute toilet barely creating chances youth typically doesn’t get you out of it. It’s almost historically proven. Saka looked great away in Germany, good at old Trafford then to be honest since then has looked a little out of his depth. Willock at times has been good but on occasion ineffective. It’s to be expected with kids. You could even say this about Guendouzi who is still young,

Meanwhile there’s this winger sat on the bench who scored 22 times last season and all the big clubs were tracking. What was even odder was that Freddie said the hardest decision he had to make was to leave Reiss Nelson out of the squad as he’s the future of the club. Ok fine mate but what about Pépé

It just feels our decisions at Arsenal seem bonkers

Drop Torreira destroy his confidence

Play Xhaka too much, fans get on his back, destroy confidence.

Play youngsters till they perform badly then sub them at half time, destroy confidence

Got 2 great strikers ? Terrific play them both and unbalance the team

4 at the back, 3 at the back, 2 at the back !

Not blaming Freddie who clearly is just doing this best but for the past 3 years it feels like some Tottenham fan has hacked into the matrix and is deliberately trying to scupper any progress

Post #506337  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

That’s all fine it’s just that if your in the toilet and we are in the absolute toilet barely creating chances youth typically doesn’t get you out of it. It’s almost historically proven. Saka looked great away in Germany, good at old Trafford then to be honest since then has looked a little out of his depth. Willock at times has been good but on occasion ineffective. It’s to be expected with kids. You could even say this about Guendouzi who is still young,

Meanwhile there’s this winger sat on the bench who scored 22 times last season and all the big clubs were tracking. What was even odder was that Freddie said the hardest decision he had to make was to leave Reiss Nelson out of the squad as he’s the future of the club. Ok fine mate but what about Pépé

It just feels our decisions at Arsenal seem bonkers

Drop Torreira destroy his confidence

Play Xhaka too much, fans get on his back, destroy confidence.

Play youngsters till they perform badly then sub them at half time, destroy confidence

Got 2 great strikers ? Terrific play them both and unbalance the team

4 at the back, 3 at the back, 2 at the back !

Not blaming Freddie who clearly is just doing this best but for the past 3 years it feels like some Tottenham fan has hacked into the matrix and is deliberately trying to scupper any progress

I get it but it is Emery destroyed their confidence by constantly focussing on what they were not doing as ppossed to what they were. It will take Ljungberg time to turn that mentality around. I had to do it at work multiple times and it takes months. I give Freddie 1 month to show a difference and I honestly believe we'll see some change in that timeframe.

Post #506338  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:45 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Bored wrote:
We have some seriously good players at Arsenal.

On reflection I was a bit hasty using the word 'Seriously'!
However, I do find it inconceivable that Arsenal is struggling against teams in the relegation zone because the players aren't good enough. I think its primarily having had such a poor manager. I really believe the players below are all more than capable of being moulded into a team that can challenge for trophies/top 4.

Leno
Bellerin
Tierney (based on Celtic form)
Torriera
Aubameyang
Lacazette (admittedly not having a good season so far)
Pépé (stand out player in France last season)

out of the youngsters i'd say these players should have a very bright future in the game:
Guendozi
Willock
Martinelli
Saka
Saliba (clutching at straws here!)

and these players have done well in the past and hopefully the next AFC manager get bring the best out of them otherwise i'd move Özil on and have Holding as a back up.:
Özil
Holding

Players who could be part of a good future Arsenal squad IF they continue developing.
Nelson
Martinez
Smith Rowe

Post #506339  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:59 pm 

Saka is a strange one imo. He's gone backwards since starting his run. No end product? Hs should concentrate on his assists and leave the goals for the time being.

Post #506340  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:39 pm 

I think Freddie needs to stick Torreira in at DM and leave him there for a run of games. Give us some sort of protection for the defence. If it means playing more direct football and long balls, so be it. I'd also like him to pair Luiz and Holding and stick with them for a bit or else just make it Sokratis & Luiz and put Holding in for the Europa.

So many players lacking confidence, it will take some time to turn around. Totally agree with TG on Saka. Gifted player but he is very very young. Give Pépé a run and roast him from the sideline if he's not tracking back.

Mustafi......No.

Post #506341  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:06 pm 

This is my take on the future of the Arsenal squad. I’ve removed those who need to leave, who aren’t good enough or who sadly will leave (Aubameyang + Lacazette) and I think torriera will go back to Italy
Single * is a player who should/could be in the first 11
Double ** is a player who has the potential to be first 11 but they are very young so no guarantee
The rest are squad players
Leno *
Martinez
Bellerin *
Saliba **
Holding
Tierney *
AMN
Guendouzi *
Willock
Smith-Rowe
Pépé *
Saka **
Nelson
Martinelli **
Nketiah

That leaves us requiring the following players to build a good squad capable of winning trophies

Rb
CB x 2
LB
Def Mid
CM x 2
LW
Striker x 2

Post #506342  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:25 pm 

One of my favorite journalists who I dub the conscious of America, Chris Hedges (his latest book is a must read), said that Trump had broken his oath from day one (keeping businesses that profited off his office) and he Democrats didn't do anything until he went after their own, Joe Biden.

Eerily similar to Nixon. Nixon had violated all manner of laws and his oath, with targeting his enemies with the tax agency, multiple violations in conducting the war in Vietnam (bombing Cambodia, etc.) but it wasn't until his cronies broke into a Democrat party office was there an impeachment.

Post #506343  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:05 pm 

Bored wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

On reflection I was a bit hasty using the word 'Seriously'!
However, I do find it inconceivable that Arsenal is struggling against teams in the relegation zone because the players aren't good enough. I think its primarily having had such a poor manager. I really believe the players below are all more than capable of being moulded into a team that can challenge for trophies/top 4.

:laughing7: yeah fair enough Bored ... I did think " seriously " was being a bit liberal with the truth.

We all cling to the hope we will get an old school " tell em how it is " type manager like Ferguson , Shankley , George Graham , Clough who will turn Özil into a Bergkamp / Storey combo .

We have too many gay boy individuals who decide "Oooh I don't feel like getting too sweaty today " and shirk the contest

We need a couple of hard nosed Scots , English , Irish , Welsh who relish a Wednesday night clash at Darlington in the p**ssing rain .

As you rightly say there is the nucleus of a decent side hidden in amongst Arsenal detritus , the problem is finding the right bloke to extract it .

Post #506344  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:18 pm 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
She wouldn't dare Gaz .. there's only one boss in this household .

I let her have her way 95% of the time but really important issues like how many V8 s I feel like buying ; how much rum I want to drink . She just has to zip it .

Quite right too. You were a mere shadow of your normal self when you were off the sauce.

Listen up Decaf ....

I've been on this forum since about 1994 [ I think ] and if you and those other two heartless bully boys Gaz and Socrates keep making an issue of my ocassional rum tipple I'm going to follow Bernard off the forum

.... I've got feelings you know :1cry:

Post #506345  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:27 pm 

Home to Leeds Utd in the third round of the FA Cup. Not an easy one. Mind you none of them are this season.

Post #506346  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:56 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Quite right too. You were a mere shadow of your normal self when you were off the sauce.

Listen up Decaf ....

I've been on this forum since about 1994 [ I think ] and if you and those other two heartless bully boys Gaz and Socrates keep making an issue of my ocassional rum tipple I'm going to follow Bernard off the forum

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #506347  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:58 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Home to Leeds Utd in the third round of the FA Cup. Not an easy one. Mind you none of them are this season.

I'd say right now we are second favourites. We should nick Bielsa off them, he strikes me as a man who takes no *%^@ whatsoever, exactly what we need.

Post #506348  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:11 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Listen up Decaf ....

Yeah really, really, really sorry. Put your nappy back on and f... harden up.

Post #506349  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:32 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Listen up Decaf ....

:1laughter:

As a side note I’ve never known how anyone could possibly like rum. Cuba Libre maybe but drinking it straight must be the stuff of insanity.

Post #506350  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:14 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Listen up Decaf ....

As a side note I’ve never known how anyone could possibly like rum. Cuba Libre maybe but drinking it straight must be the stuff of insanity.

I am with Kiwi on this. Bundaberg rum & coke the nectar of gods. Downside is you sometimes think you are a god & things get ugly. Fighting nectar.

Post #506351  Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:21 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I am with Kiwi on this. Bundaberg rum & coke the nectar of gods. Downside is you sometimes think you are a god & things get ugly. Fighting nectar.

Ah bundy I’ve always considered that a separate drink in its own right.

Like Guinness not being a beer or stout. Has it’s own category of 1

Post #506352  Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:46 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Bundi now that really is a nice drop .... evokes a few memories .

When I was a nipper ; about 24 ... went to Aussie ... got a job ; barman on South Molle Island ... befriended this old coot who had a fishing boat passing through ... "Ron the Ram " real ladies man .

He was probably in his late 40s ...seemed ancient then .

About six months later I've moved on , got a job driving a forklift down in Mackay .

Buying myself a hamburger one day , this bloke pulls up in a '67 Fairlane .... "Holy smoke it's Ron the Ram " we go for a few beers at some country pub ....... at 10 .30 they close , chuck the blow flies out but Ron knows the publican so we carry on drinking ...

About 1 .30 am about eight of us pile in the Fairlane drive out into the Wop Wops to some rundown donga .... real " Saltbush Bill " outfit .... a few Aboriginals in tow ... they cook up a feed involving octopus .

Jesus it was like trying to eat a couple of Michelin tyres . More booze , sing a bit of Slim Dusty ... then one of my new friends grabs a bottle of Bundaberg Overproof .... says to me " Let's going catch us a couple of Barra " ... we stagger down to a creek ..... he chucks in the line , then upends the bottle takes a hefty guzzle straight .

... " here ya go young fella get this into ya " ..... passes it to me . I don't want to let the side down so I do the same .

Jesus H Christ ...it's like I've ingested about six litres of battery acid . My insides are on fire , hair stands on end , nose running , eyes watering , cough up half a lung :blob8:

We didn't catch any fish but boy did I get p*ssed .

Anyone who hasn't experienced outback Australia hasn't lived :laughing7:

Post #506353  Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:12 am 

It's okay. 'Cheeks' is going to save us. Some alarming imagery here from The Guardian's David Squires.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng ... e-sackings

Post #506354  Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:14 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
One of my favorite journalists who I dub the conscious of America, Chris Hedges (his latest book is a must read), said that Trump had broken his oath from day one (keeping businesses that profited off his office) and he Democrats didn't do anything until he went after their own, Joe Biden.

Eerily similar to Nixon. Nixon had violated all manner of laws and his oath, with targeting his enemies with the tax agency, multiple violations in conducting the war in Vietnam (bombing Cambodia, etc.) but it wasn't until his cronies broke into a Democrat party office was there an impeachment.

Why does there always have to be a conspiracy theory?

If you believe Trump (I know ...) the Democrats have been after him since before day one. In any case, it is hilarious to suggest that the Democratic "didn't do anything".

A plausible case can be made that the reason why Pelosi decided to proceed this time is that Trump got caught in such a blatant abuse of power that they (the Democrats) were left with no choice. Firstly, Trump is clearly engaged in state capture and an attempt to rig the elections. Secondly, the Democrats would have looked weak if they hadn't gone after him. It seems like a big gamble to impeach when the Republicans hold the Senate, but was there a choice really?

Post #506355  Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:23 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
It's okay. 'Cheeks' is going to save us. Some alarming imagery here from The Guardian's David Squires.

I'm a time-served Grauniad man but I'm afraid I find David Squires the most un-funny cartoonist out there.

This guy on the other hand......

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/ng-interactive/2019/aug/24/stephen-collins-on-seagulls-cartoon

Post #506356  Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:30 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:

Trigger warning for Bernard!

Post #506357  Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:44 pm 

DHD wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

I'm a time-served Grauniad man but I'm afraid I find David Squires the most un-funny cartoonist out there.

This guy on the other hand......

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/ng-interactive/2019/aug/24/stephen-collins-on-seagulls-cartoon

Fair enough, DHD, we obviously have a slightly different sense of humour! But don't tell me this Squires cartoon didn't get to you:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng ... er-arsenal

Post #506358  Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:50 pm 

What I was saying the other day

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... ochettino/

Kroenke likes a cheap option

Post #506359  Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:52 pm 

And now

According to @David_Ornstein, #Arsenal are unlikely to be able to spend big on a new manager due to financial constraints. As a first port of call, The club are looking for candidates who are available to start immediately.

Exactly what i predicted

#mystic top gun
# I an oracle

Post #506360  Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:18 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
And now

According to @David_Ornstein, #Arsenal are unlikely to be able to spend big on a new manager due to financial constraints. As a first port of call, The club are looking for candidates who are available to start immediately.

Exactly what i predicted

#mystic top gun
# I an oracle

The world and his wife was reporting that we hadn't 2 cents to rub together in the summer and we went and smashed our transfer record.

#itsallbullshit

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12656, 12657, 12658, 12659, 12660, 12661, 12662 ... 14269  Next