Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: bubblechris and 109 guests

Post #505841  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:20 am 

Not that I'm bored or anything but if you collected every Arsenal membership pack together you'd have...

16 postcards, 12 badges, 8 DVDs and handbooks, 7 book reprints, 6 original books and yearbooks, 3 scarves and card holders*, 2 bottle openers keyrings and hats, and 1 each of snood, pair of gloves, phone charger, medal, memorabiia pack, mousemat, washbag, luggage tag, passport cover, Spirit of Highbury print, pair of earphones, bottle stopper and a pair of beer mats.

The * by card holders is because in 2008 they sent card holders to new members and not old members. Yes, I complained and they sent me a few.

Post #505842  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:25 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Of course it is Emery's fault totally ...

No , no .. not the players , the board , Edu , Ljungberg , Donald Trump , Gordon Brown .............it is Unai Emery

The thing is Pete, the Express are reporting today that Emery’s job is ‘safe for now’. If they’re right and it is, doesn’t that make the ownership regime to blame as well? It’s them that have the power to sack him and if they’re choosing to keep him in post, surely that makes them partly responsible for what’s going on? It has to in my view. It How can it not?

Here's my current theoy. Sack Emery before lining up the replacment and it's name your price for the next bloke, regardless of whether he's top notch or not.
So they will line him up before sacking.

I think nothing but Allegri is good enough but as always Arsenal will have thumb up ass while Man Utd or someone swoop in and get him. Then we'll get Arteta (nice strong leader) or some other mild mannered but equally ineffective plonk. The only other one I'd be happy to see in the dugout would be Vieira but only because he is who he is and representative of the last time Arsenal looked truly world class.

Post #505843  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:56 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
The thing is Pete, the Express are reporting today that Emery’s job is ‘safe for now’. If they’re right and it is, doesn’t that make the ownership regime to blame as well? It’s them that have the power to sack him and if they’re choosing to keep him in post, surely that makes them partly responsible for what’s going on? It has to in my view. How can it not?

Here's my current theoy. Sack Emery before lining up the replacment and it's name your price for the next bloke, regardless of whether he's top notch or not.
So they will line him up before sacking.

I think nothing but Allegri is good enough but as always Arsenal will have thumb up ass while Man Utd or someone swoop in and get him. Then we'll get Arteta (nice strong leader) or some other mild mannered but equally ineffective plonk. The only other one I'd be happy to see in the dugout would be Vieira but only because he is who he is and representative of the last time Arsenal looked truly world class.

I think you could well be right that they will want to line someone up to avoid the ‘name your own price’ option.

I’d be happy with Allegri. But I wonder if his lack of experience in the Premier League might make some in the Arsenal hierarchy more hesitant about employing him? I hope not but I think it could.

Post #505844  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:58 am 

I think we need to be careful what we wish for.....
This from Allegris Wiki page ...
Under Allegri, Juventus became slightly less aggressive and intense in their pressing off the ball while their playing style became more patient and focussed on keeping possession and gaining territorial advantage in order to conserve energy, tactics which he had previously used while at Milan. Although Allegri's team was still effective at winning the ball in midfield and scoring from counter-attacks, the club's attacking play on the ball usually involved a slower build-up, which mainly consisted of short passes, and fewer long balls.
Goalkeeper Buffon also continued to primarily play the ball out from the back with short ground passes to the defenders.......Sound familiar??!!
Don't know enough of him to say if it's true (but if it is......)and it is Wikipedia!!!
What a mess we are :1cry:

Post #505845  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:13 pm 

Nuno Santo, the Wolves manager perhaps?

Post #505846  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:31 pm 

We need someone fresh new up and coming and hungry.
That is why Arteta gets my vote.
Failing that give it to Freddie till the end of the season or .....Rafa Benitez till end of the season( I think he would love to manage us and would be great in organising that excuse of a defence)

Post #505847  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:33 pm 

david.d wrote:
Failing that give it to Freddie till the end of the season or .....Rafa Benitez till end of the season( I think he would love to manage us and would be great in organising that excuse of a defence)

Maybe I’m wrong but the impression I get these days when a football manager is sacked is that his back room staff routinely go with him. It’s just happened with Pochettino, hasn’t it? Unless his legendary status saves him, it wouldn’t surprise me if Freddie and others like Carcedo, Villanueva, Garcia and Masach follow Emery out the door.

Post #505848  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:43 pm 

My choice would be Patrick Vieira, unequivocal legend status that would buy some time and respect from our fans.

That said I think this talk is premature this ridiculous story will run a little further before the car completely crashes

Post #505849  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:53 pm 

Bernard wrote:
david.d wrote:

Maybe I’m wrong but the impression I get these days when a football manager is sacked is that his back room staff routinely go with him. It’s just happened with Pochettino, hasn’t it? Unless his legendary status saves him, it wouldn’t surprise me if Freddie and others like Carcedo, Villanueva, Garcia and Masach follow Emery out the door.

I'd say you're right about the other four (impressed you knew all the names btw) but not Freddie. The 'four' are Emery's men whereas Freddie is Arsenal's man. I'd see it much the same as when Wenger left so did the likes of Boro, but Bouldy stayed.

As for what to do now, I still say sack him and give Freddie the job 'til the summer. We know the kids have a lot of respect for him and I doubt the seniors are any different. I believe we have a very good squad at the club that whilst not at City/Liverpool levels is at least as good as anything else in the league and should be ripping teams like So'ton to pieces and not be sitting back hoping against hope they won't be nasty and score against us.

Post #505850  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:07 pm 

My friends in Italy all say that Allegri is a good, but very dull manager. Plays dull football. *%^@ it, it’s supposed to be enjoyable and fun. Get someone young in. Experience is for Dr’s and Lawyers and scientists. It’s football FFS.

Post #505851  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:22 pm 

Just sack Emery! Please!

Post #505852  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:24 pm 

Darren wrote:
My friends in Italy all say that Allegri is a good, but very dull manager. Plays dull football. *%^@ it, it’s supposed to be enjoyable and fun. Get someone young in. Experience is for Dr’s and Lawyers and scientists. It’s football FFS.

Can't rememember the last time I watched an Italian game but isn't the whole league dull and full of mainly dull games, or is that outdated?

Post #505853  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:24 pm 

socrates wrote:
Personally, I'd make the change now and give the new manager a few months to get used to things so he can hit the ground running next season.

Post #505854  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:39 pm 

On a totally different tack I watched this movie at the weekend and it is simply wonderful.

Post #505855  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:53 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
Darren wrote:

Can't rememember the last time I watched an Italian game but isn't the whole league dull and full of mainly dull games, or is that outdated?

Fair assessment imo.

Post #505856  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:39 pm 

Talking of films, go and see The Street, a documentary about the gentrification of Hoxton Street in Hackney. I think its only going to be showing this week in London for a very limited run but well worth it.

Post #505857  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:12 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I'd say you're right about the other four (impressed you knew all the names btw) but not Freddie. The 'four' are Emery's men whereas Freddie is Arsenal's man. I'd see it much the same as when Wenger left so did the likes of Boro, but Bouldy stayed.

As for what to do now, I still say sack him and give Freddie the job 'til the summer. We know the kids have a lot of respect for him and I doubt the seniors are any different. I believe we have a very good squad at the club that whilst not at City/Liverpool levels is at least as good as anything else in the league and should be ripping teams like So'ton to pieces and not be sitting back hoping against hope they won't be nasty and score against us.

Didn’t Emery give Ljungberg the job though? If he didn’t, who did? Sanllehi, Venkatesham, Edu?

Post #505858  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:09 pm 

Even he's available.

Attachments:
_robertodimateo.jpg
_robertodimateo.jpg [ 14.01 KB | Viewed 3243 times ]

Post #505859  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:10 pm 

:7laughter:

Take your pick....

Attachments:
download.jpg
download.jpg [ 9.87 KB | Viewed 3233 times ]
images.jpg
images.jpg [ 4.26 KB | Viewed 3228 times ]

Post #505860  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:47 pm 

It seems Arsenal fans (and most fans to be fair) want to be served up attacking football. We were served that during wenger’s years but bemoaned the terrible defence and leaky goals.

I wonder how the fans would react to a Simeone-esque approach where defence is absolutely everything. We concede perhaps only 25 goals in a season but don’t score very much, say 50 odd goals. There are lots of tight 1-0’s and 0-0’s because we’re so tight in defence. We win a lot more games as a result.

Post #505861  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:41 pm 

Nuno Espírito Santos has come out of nowhere to become bookies favourite at 5-2 to replace Emery. Does someone know something we don’t?

Post #505862  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:24 pm 

Darren wrote:
Nuno Espírito Santos has come out of nowhere to become bookies favourite at 5-2 to replace Emery. Does someone know something we don’t?

Yes to your question.

Post #505863  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:32 pm 

Darren wrote:
Another middle-ranker I fear who has won far less trophies than Dick, and would be easy meat for the fans. If we are not getting big experience in then I'd sooner see somebody with strong links to the club.

Post #505864  Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:23 pm 

Darren wrote:

Came across these odds at Skybet.

Nuno Espirito Santos 6/4
Mikel Arteta 7/2
Rafa Benitez 5/1
Max Allegri 6/1
Mauricio Pochettino 6/1
Freddie Ljungberg 8/1
Eddie Howe 12/1
Patrick Vieira 12/1
Brendan Rodgers 20/1
Steven Gerrard 20/1

Don’t know what the odds are based on, but that’s what they were.

Post #505865  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:31 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Of course it is Emery's fault totally ...

No , no .. not the players , the board , Edu , Ljungberg , Donald Trump , Gordon Brown .............it is Unai Emery

The thing is Pete, the Express are reporting today that Emery’s job is ‘safe for now’. If they’re right and it is, doesn’t that make the ownership regime to blame as well? It’s them that have the power to sack him and if they’re choosing to keep him in post, surely that makes them partly responsible for what’s going on? It has to in my view. How can it not?

Think you've woven two different scenarios in there ... Bernard .

The shocking football is Emery's fault alone .. the board isn't partly responsible for the sh***t football .

Their fault lies in not sacking the bloke who is to blame . .

So my good mate Soc's point about not totally blaming Emery doesn't hold water

On happier note for me anyway .... my son's mate lost his mother recently ; the father died a few years back

The mate lives in Auusie so came back to sort out her affairs .... gave my son eight bottles of spirits which he can't take back to Oz.

My son in turn pulled out 27 unopened bottles of wine , some in boxes with straw packing [ whether that means anything ] plus a few liquers , some brandy and cognac out of the skip bin that was destined for the dump and gave them to me :3to-drink:

Post #505866  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:45 am 

Southampton are a poor team, they’re 2nd bottom with minus 18 goal difference, they regularly play 5 at the back. For their trip to us they switched to 4 at the back because they knew they could attack and press us and we’d fold.

Such is the small gap between the midtable teams it wouldn’t take that many more bad results to see us down in 15th or so.

Post #505867  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:34 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Think you've woven two different scenarios in there ... Bernard .

The shocking football is Emery's fault alone .. the board isn't partly responsible for the sh***t football .

Their fault lies in not sacking the bloke who is to blame . .

So my good mate Soc's point about not totally blaming Emery doesn't hold water

We’re clearly looking at things from different angles. If what is happening on the pitch is totally Emery’s fault, I think the people keeping Emery in post deserve to be looked at critically. Because they have the power to sack him, and are choosing not to.

Post #505868  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:35 am 

Darren wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

Fair assessment imo.

Just gonna jump in to try and defend Italian footy.

Id consider myself a Roma fan. I probably watch as much Roma as I do Arsenal. Theyre currently rubbish. I started following Italian footy when Gazza went over and channel4 bought the rights and covered everything lazio, so it was natural to back the rival. *%^@ Gazza.

Basically its different. Its an acquired taste, its slow, slow, slow, quick, dive, cheat, appeal dramatically, wave arms, score screamer. Its opera. Emotional. It kind of eats itself tactically as the football is a bit chess like. I guess you have to immerse yourself, much like cricket and baseball. It really isnt everyones cup of tea for sure.

But on the dull point. The Prem for the last few years has been really dull in my view, not just Arsenal. The games are generally the same, a lot of the teams all do the same possession based stuff, or they pack the defence and its one way rubbish. I really dont enjoy watching any of it.

To try and emphasise my point, if youve got a spare 20 mins. Goals from the prem from 05/06 season. I dont see much of this going on any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqG2cZxy5fU

This is what they were talking about when they said Best League In The World. Its not like this any more. English football now is generally dull, and made worse by how much money has been spent making it duller.

Post #505869  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:05 am 

I think the most damning stat is that in the last two seasons under Emery our opponents have had more shots than us. How is that even possible for a team with top four ambitions.

The shot differential last season was 30 something, this season so far it is is apparently 50 something. So opponents had over 30 more shots than us last season, and this season have had 50 more than us.

That statistic is incredible

https://twitter.com/1DavidWall/status/1 ... it-stop%2F

Post #505870  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:49 am 

Why is Emery still manager this morning?

My guess is that the Arsenal management having let the situation get out of hand are surely now in the process of sounding out a new manager. I'm assuming the failure to install an interim manager is to save some money in severance pay to Emery and his staff in the short term. It is weird, however that their inaction suggests that they are not that fussed with our top 4 challenge being over by November/December. Even if we know that as a sporting institution, AFC under the Kroenke's aren't motivated by sporting success, surely the financial ramifications of a floundering team only makes the value diminish. Unless there is a long term goal we aren't considering, for example we are guaranteed members of a future money spinning European League so league form doesn't really matter (to KSE)

Post #505871  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:31 am 

Bored wrote:
Why is Emery still manager this morning?

My guess is that the Arsenal management having let the situation get out of hand are surely now in the process of sounding out a new manager. I'm assuming the failure to install an interim manager is to save some money in severance pay to Emery and his staff in the short term. It is weird, however that their inaction suggests that they are not that fussed with our top 4 challenge being over by November/December. Even if we know that as a sporting institution, AFC under the Kroenke's aren't motivated by sporting success, surely the financial ramifications of a floundering team only makes the value diminish. Unless there is a long term goal we aren't considering, for example we are guaranteed members of a future money spinning European League so league form doesn't really matter (to KSE)

I think that sums up why I find it impossible not to apportion some of the blame for what is happening onto the board, and specifically Stan Kroenke. Bloody hell, however much of a prat Emery is, I would suggest Kroenke is arguably even more to blame because it’s him keeping Emery in post.

Post #505872  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:53 am 

Agree with Bernard. Emery is just a bloke turning up for work until he’s told not to now. This is now all on the Football Executivw Committee or whatever they’re called and the Kroenkes. This has actually stopped being about Emery’s ability as a manager and is now squarely on those above him to manage this situation.

Post #505873  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:07 am 

Darren wrote:
Agree with Bernard. Emery is just a bloke turning up for work until he’s told not to now. This is now all on the Football Executivw Committee or whatever they’re called and the Kroenkes. This has actually stopped being about Emery’s ability as a manager and is now squarely on those above him to manage this situation.

Absolute spot on in that assessment. It’s become ridiculous.

Post #505874  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:53 am 

Bernard wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

Didn’t Emery give Ljungberg the job though? If he didn’t, who did? Sanllehi, Venkatesham, Edu?

Ljungberg swapped jobs with Bould, he wasn't appointed as such.

Look, the way I see it when Graham was replaced Pat Rice stayed even though Wenger brought his own people in (ignore Rioch for this). When Wenger was replaced Bould stayed even though Emery bought his own people in. In the same way I'd be amazed if Ljungberg didn't stay when Emery finally goes. Either way I hope we find out very very soon - I think we can agree on that.

Anyway, here's an advert from the Picture Post today in 1938.

Attachments:

Post #505875  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:56 am 

Rog, don't know if it means anything or matters at all but when I upload the photo before posting this comes up at the top of the screen (the on screen font size changes to a larger one as well). It all worked fine but I thought I'd mention it. Feel free to delete.

[phpBB Debug] 8< snip >8

Post #505876  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:20 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
Rog, don't know if it means anything or matters at all but when I upload the photo before posting this comes up at the top of the screen (the on screen font size changes to a larger one as well). It all worked fine but I thought I'd mention it. Feel free to delete.

[phpBB Debug] 8< snip >8

Yeah I know it does that sometimes - it's ok.

Post #505877  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:00 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
...Anyway, here's an advert from the Picture Post today in 1938.
Belated welcome back to the forum and thank you for providing the historical items which have been missed by this poster. You will know this, but I believe it was writing about 'Boy' Bastin that launched the incomparable Brian Glanville's football writing career?

Post #505878  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:17 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:
...Anyway, here's an advert from the Picture Post today in 1938.
Belated welcome back to the forum and thank you for providing the historical items which have been missed by this poster. You will know this, but I believe it was writing about 'Boy' Bastin that launched the incomparable Brian Glanville's football writing career?

Brian Glanville is still alive. Getting on a bit, as he’s now 88.

Post #505879  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:05 pm 

Get ready for a record low attendance on Thursday... https://arseblog.news/2019/11/club-anno ... kfurt-tie/

Hope the comms make a really big deal of it. Never mind the awful results and performances, it's this kind of superficial crap that seems to make the difference.

Post #505880  Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:46 pm 

Just received an email from the Club: "Premier League Matchday Fan Experience Survey 2019/20"

Not the greatest timing.

They got both barrels!

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12644, 12645, 12646, 12647, 12648, 12649, 12650 ... 14269  Next