Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 94 guests

Post #505161  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:23 pm 

I’ve seen people say words to the effect that defeat at Leicester is a certainty I think we will probably lose, but football isn’t that predictable. Worse teams than Arsenal have beaten better sides than Leicester many times in one off games. Are Leicester favourites? Yes. But they are not guaranteed to win.

Post #505162  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:55 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
So Emery has an opportunity to put a damper on the person the press is saying should/will replace him. The drama...lol.

Emery in. Way too early to talk of changes. It's not his fault he doesn't have the defense we need. And since Wenger we have taken a lot of control from the manager.

How is it not his fault? Whose fault is it? Nancy Pelosi?

Post #505163  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:05 pm 

socrates wrote:
Not a lot to say about that shitfest.

I really wonder now if our players are overrrated. It can't be just down to Emery.

It can be.

Post #505164  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:57 pm 

The thing about us sacking Emery, as Arseblog pointed out, is that it is nothing personal. Managers come and go and it's not like we would be throwing him out on the street. He and his staff will be paid-off handsomely and he will soon find another job in Spain.

Emery has given it his best shot and it just hasn't worked out. A bit like a bad marriage that's become stale, it's clear it isn't working and it's time for both sides to move on before things become nasty.

Make a change before the chances of top four are really blown.

Post #505165  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:00 pm 

socrates wrote:

Emery has given it his best shot and it just hasn't worked out. A bit like a bad marriage that's become stale,

Except both parties have sworn before God, '...till death do us part...' :42laughter:

Post #505166  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:02 pm 

I wouldn't cry if Rodgers is brought in. I also am not sure how much veracity we can put in the rumors of Emery being on the outs.

Post #505167  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:55 pm 

Rodgers-Leicester might win by default Saturday. No telling what will happen with VAR.

:8surprise:

Post #505168  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:42 pm 

So Mustafi did the hand to the ear celebration after scoring againest a bunch of total no marks. If ever there was an example of why we are so adrift.

Post #505169  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:34 am 

Rodgers has a job interview Saturday.

Post #505170  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:36 am 

...could Man Utd go for Rodgers as well? That's a thought. Poch's stock has gone down.

Post #505171  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:38 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
So Emery has an opportunity to put a damper on the person the press is saying should/will replace him. The drama...lol.

Emery in. Way too early to talk of changes. It's not his fault he doesn't have the defense we need. And since Wenger we have taken a lot of control from the manager.

He is failing in all departments. Lack of attacking nous despite the talented personnel. A midfield that fails to link play. He had 18 months to sort out the defence. The AW excuse is over. Last season he did not have key buys in Pépé, Tierney, and to a lesser extent Ceballos. I do not hold out high hopes that he will gel Saliba effectively into this team. He has failed to gel this season's marquee buy yet. Maybe it is the players who are letting him down. So, be ruthless about it. And come up with a more encouraging team play. Our current play is disjointed and poor. The players cannot find each other on the field. So many times the full backs had to pass back, and then the hand gestures come to tell the forward players they are not in position for their cross. This trait of play existed for too long already. Talk about it, fix it. Emery has to take charge and fix it.

Post #505172  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:58 am 

Bernard wrote:
I’ve seen people say words to the effect that defeat at Leicester is a certainty I think we will probably lose, but football isn’t that predictable. Worse teams than Arsenal have beaten better sides than Leicester many times in one off games. Are Leicester favourites? Yes. But they are not guaranteed to win.

Prediction 3-3.

Arsenal lead 3-0 and fail to protect a lead. Silly penalty given away at 3-0, and the panic sets in. At 3-1, Emery make the wrong substitutions, and the floodgate opens for them. Their equaliser is right smack at added time.

Aubameyang refused to acknowledge Emery's out-stretched hand at the end of the match. Lacazette gives Aubameyang a fist-pump for that. Followed by Tierney, followed by Torreira, followed by Pépé.

Dressing room went quiet when Emery entered. Nobody responds to his questions post-match.

Post-match conference: Emery praise team for superlative first 60 minutes display. Said the wrongly given penalty was unfair, and was what started their fight back. Said their equaliser should not stand, and VAR should have been used. He saw a second ball stray onto the playing field when Leicester was carrying the ball into Arsenal's playing area. He also said the second goal is questionable, because Vardy gave a wicked smile at Leno, thus panicked Leno and distrated him from saving the shot. Journalists give Emery a standing ovation for the best post-conference they ever had.

Post match reports were full of jokes about Emery's defensive conference. Emery blames his poor English for the loss in translation.

Emery takes Captain's armband away from Aubameyang. Said Arsenal's group of 5 Captains (BIG joke :1laughter: ) is now 3. Appoint Lacazette, who declines. Now down to 2.

Post #505173  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:59 am 

Decaf wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

How is it not his fault? Whose fault is it? Nancy Pelosi?

No, Donald Trump

Post #505174  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:08 am 

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/11/07/r ... wing-unha/

Go now Emery! (Not Torreira) :20hospitals:

Post #505175  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:52 am 

Jose Mourinho set to meet Arsenal boss Unai Emery at UEFA Elite Club Coaches Forum

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/07/jose-mou ... -11063466/

Post #505176  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:33 am 

"Arsenal have suffered gradual decline since they moved stadium 13 years ago."

That sentence resonated with me from the last Gooner editorial (https://www.onlinegooner.com/articles/view/4895)

Does it suggest that once we moved to the new stadium, it was viewed as the final piece in jigsaw, and from that day onwards the club simply rested on its laurels, or that we have had bean counters and suits running Arsenal primarily as a business and not a sporting institution?

Post #505177  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:23 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
So Mustafi did the hand to the ear celebration after scoring againest a bunch of total no marks. If ever there was an example of why we are so adrift.

Why does his goal celebration show why we’re so adrift?

Post #505178  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:25 am 

Bored wrote:

That sentence resonated with me from the last Gooner editorial (https://www.onlinegooner.com/articles/view/4895)

Does it suggest that once we moved to the new stadium, it was viewed as the final piece in jigsaw, and from that day onwards the club simply rested on its laurels, or that we have had bean counters and suits running Arsenal primarily as a business and not a sporting institution?

It was described as “transition” when we moved.

That suggested a dip followed by a rise.
Whereas it has just been gradual but persistent decline. The drive to succeed on the field as opposed to the balance sheet appears to have dissipated completely.

Anybody who cared enough to fight has been removed. We appear to operate like a small scale commercial enterprise. I never thought that I’d ever see it like this.

Post #505179  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:39 am 

Bored wrote:

It was a combination of not having enough money to compete initially, Wenger not able to stay consistently good any longer and then being owned by a non interested owner. Those 3 things the most.

Post #505180  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:52 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Bored wrote:

It was a combination of not having enough money to compete initially, Wenger not able to stay consistently good any longer and then being owned by a non interested owner. Those 3 things the most.

All sounds about right.

Post #505181  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:55 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Probably because the ear cupping suggests his critcs have been silenced, as if his goal against european nobodies is a comprehensive answer to the criticism of his form and ability when it absolutley is not, so could point to a lack of understanding of the situation and the higher aims of the club and fans.

Post #505182  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:31 pm 

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Probably because the ear cupping suggests his critcs have been silenced, as if his goal against european nobodies is a comprehensive answer to the criticism of his form and ability when it absolutley is not, so could point to a lack of understanding of the situation and the higher aims of the club and fans.

Good grief, so you think under the ownership regime the club has higher aims? I wish I shared your faith in Stan.

On the overall point I think a fuss is probably being made over very little.

Post #505183  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:45 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:

Good grief, so you think under the ownership regime the club has higher aims? I wish I shared your faith in Stan.

No, I told you why it gave that impression. What the clubs aims SHOULD be and what they are, are probably two different things, which I think is part of what TG was driving at.

Post #505184  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:08 pm 

One of the toerags who tried to rob Özil and Kolasinac has just been sentenced to 10 years. Good riddance. His accomplice still to be sentenced.

Post #505185  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:20 pm 

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:

No, I told you why it gave that impression. What the clubs aims SHOULD be and what they are, are probably two different things, which I think is part of what TG was driving at.

How realistic an impression was it though? You said his ear cupping suggested Mustafi believes his critics have been silenced for good. I don’t believe that’s the case at all. But he was one of the few players who did fine in that game.

I think it was no more than ‘I know some of you are not keen on me (or a stronger word) but I cannot hear you moan now.’ Considering the team we were playing, not one of the best, that is nowhere near him thinking he’s answered his critics.

Post #505186  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:26 pm 

Emery has said Xhaka won’t play v Leicester, cellabos is also ruled out. So is it a midfield 3 of Guendouzi, torriera, Willock or is emery going to play Özil!!?

Post #505187  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:09 am 

Rich wrote:
Emery has said Xhaka won’t play v Leicester, cellabos is also ruled out. So is it a midfield 3 of Guendouzi, torriera, Willock or is emery going to play Özil!!?

Yes. He will probably play Torreira in the No.10 position and Özil as a shield for the back 4.

Post #505188  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:16 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Bored wrote:

It was described as “transition” when we moved.

That suggested a dip followed by a rise.
Whereas it has just been gradual but persistent decline. The drive to succeed on the field as opposed to the balance sheet appears to have dissipated completely.

Anybody who cared enough to fight has been removed. We appear to operate like a small scale commercial enterprise. I never thought that I’d ever see it like this.

You could argue there was a very slight rise around 13/14, basically because our terrible commercial deals expired and we signed the likes of Özil and Sanchez off the back of much better deals, unfortunately a lot of the money was wasted on poor players because Wenger had gone way past his best by that point, this led to us dropping out of the CL and the decline was back (with a bang).

If we don't make top 4 this season I feel the decline could be terminal, Chelsea have surprised me a little but apparently have a huge budget anyway, as well as CL football, Spurs have made a poor start but I think they are likely to finish higher than us, United will get the right manager at some stage with a huge budget to back him up.

Unfortunately for the most part none of this surprises me, when KSE first became involved in the club I spent quite a while looking into their track record, as well as opionions from fans of their other sports clubs, what I found was very worrying and frankly the day Usmanov sold his shares to them I pretty much gave up on the club, sadly I don't think 'new structures' etc. are going to make up for this total lack of ambition from the top.

I do actually expect them to sell at some point, because the asset value must have peaked by now, if we continue this downward trajectory it is only a matter of time before the club begins to devalue, the thought of them just sitting on it wasting away in midtable is not one I really want to consider so maybe just wishful thinking.

Post #505189  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:07 am 

Too 4 is absolutely essential for the club this season. I think we’re screwed if we don’t.

This guy is usually pretty spot on with his info. This does not sound like we’re able to pull the trigger on Emery yet.

https://twitter.com/afcamden/status/1192903963324092417?s=21

Post #505190  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:16 pm 

Darren wrote:
Too 4 is absolutely essential for the club this season. I think we’re screwed if we don’t.

This guy is usually pretty spot on with his info. This does not sound like we’re able to pull the trigger on Emery yet.

https://twitter.com/afcamden/status/1192903963324092417?s=21

Hi Darren,

It seems a preposterous notion that a club as wealthy as Arsenal cannot afford to sack a manager.

Post #505191  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:18 pm 

Today reminds me of the latter days of Wenger. I want us to either win or be humiliated in defeat, anything else just seems a waste of time.

Post #505192  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:30 pm 

socrates wrote:
Today reminds me of the latter days of Wenger. I want us to either win or be humiliated in defeat, anything else just seems a waste of time.

I know what you mean. There is an inevitability about it all so it just feels like a massive waste of time and effort until a new manager is appointed. Even Emery is starting to talk of fans having patience and difficult circumstances so he must be feeling the pressure.

Post #505193  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:17 pm 

Was hoping the AG lucky charm aura would help Sheff Utd but to no avail so far. Hopefully an equalizer comes soon. :1cry:

Post #505194  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:18 pm 

Equalizer! :12hello-bye:

Post #505195  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:22 pm 

What?! :8angers:

Post #505196  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:22 pm 

C'mon Blades.

Post #505197  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:24 pm 

VAR is taking entirely too long. They must find a way to shorten it to :30 seconds max.

Post #505198  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:36 pm 

Rollercoaster

Post #505199  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:42 pm 

Looks like Leno, three centre backs, Chambers, Luiz and Holding, Bellerin and Kolasinac at wing back, Guendouzi and Torreira mf, Özil behind Aubameyang and Lacazette.
Can never remember being so pessimistic playing Leicester - so on that basis we'll probably win (clutching at straws).

Post #505200  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:44 pm 

Feels a bit like emery is just trying anything different now in the hope of something working.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12627, 12628, 12629, 12630, 12631, 12632, 12633 ... 14269  Next