Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Bing [Bot], Decaf, Googlebot, warrior and 159 guests

Post #505121  Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:25 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Good bye Unai.

Echo that ...

Post #505122  Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:35 pm 

Somehow we have acquired an inability to hold on to a lead. The management to offer higher clean sheet bonuses for the whole team perhaps? Or deduct pay for every goal conceded?

Post #505123  Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:37 pm 

If ever the monkier 'Boring, Boring Arsenal' could be used, this game was it.

Post #505124  Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:44 pm 

1 shot on target all game. I’m so bored of watching this risk averse and conservative Arsenal.
Some folk may argue the players aren’t good enough to be more hung-ho, that is nonsense and only stands up against the very best teams. There is no reason why Arsenal shouldn’t be taking the game to at least 90% of opponents we face

Post #505125  Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:12 pm 

Missed the game as i’m in beautiful Mexico Punta Mita. Oh, yeah. Bloody hell. I'm sweating here. Roasting. Boiling. Baking. Sweltering. It's like a sauna. Furnace. You can fry an egg on my stomach. Ohh, who wouldn't lap this up? It's ridiculous. Tremendous. Fantastic. Fan-dabby-dozy-tastic.

Just seen something on twitter though that our first chance on goal came in the 80th minute, can anybody confirm this ?

Are we ready to admit this is now a full blown crisis.

Post #505126  Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:33 pm 

Someone did the analysis that Arsenal made 520 successful passes and only 1 of those happened in the opposition box

Post #505127  Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Missed the game as i’m in beautiful Mexico Punta Mita. Oh, yeah. Bloody hell. I'm sweating here. Roasting. Boiling. Baking. Sweltering. It's like a sauna. Furnace. You can fry an egg on my stomach. Ohh, who wouldn't lap this up? It's ridiculous. Tremendous. Fantastic. Fan-dabby-dozy-tastic.

Just seen something on twitter though that our first chance on goal came in the 80th minute, can anybody confirm this ?

I shot on target and 1 goal over the whole match.

Post #505128  Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:13 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I shot on target and 1 goal over the whole match.

So a highly impressive 100% shot on target conversion rate.

Post #505129  Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:24 pm 

Not a lot to say about that shitfest.

I really wonder now if our players are overrrated. It can't be just down to Emery.

We dominated possession away from home but created nothing, had one shot on goal and scored from a set-piece. By contrast they had no possession but a shedload of shots and dangerous situations. How does that work.

Our attacking threat from open play was virtually non-existant. We play boring, slow, sideways football lacking tempo, invention and creativity.

Defensively we can't even do the basics, like marking properly on free-kicks or tracking runners.

Our ineptness is staggering.

Post #505130  Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:47 pm 

One of the biggest worries with Mourinho is that he has a nasty habit of destroying the confidence of very good players. He turned a once all dominating Pogba into a shadow of his Juve imperious self. He did the same with Mata at Chelsea. What if its Aubameyang or Guendouzi or Pépé on the other end of his psychological games.

Post #505131  Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:03 pm 

socrates wrote:
Not a lot to say about that shitfest.

I really wonder now if our players are overrrated. It can't be just down to Emery.

Hi Soc,

It can certainly be due to Emery. He has destroyed the midfield. We have no recognisable method of midfield play. The forwards get no service and the defence get no cover. Meanwhile the fullbacks are so far up the pitch they may as well be wingers.

Lots of these players have proven themselves previously. He has now succeeded in taking the verve and exuberance from the kids. A change of manager could transform this team.

Post #505132  Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:13 pm 

Turgid is the only word I have for the current state of football we are playing.

I really dont think the manager knows what he is doing.

Definitely need a change....but not Mourinho....please

He might be a good short term fix, but he ain't someone I would want to be there longterm

Post #505133  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:01 am 

I was annoyed I was going to miss the game but i thought I'll catch the replay. As good as you lot have done selling the action to me, Er actually, yeah you're alright.

Looking at Utd is it inevitable when a manager stays for that length of time you're basically f***ed trying to transition. When you remodel something in a very competitive environment like top flight football is it inevitable you swan dive before you can rise again?

And does the inevitable chopping and changing and self destructive behaviour (Özil Xhaka looking at you) due to panicking miserableness when you do sink mean you stall and prolong the awfulness?

I'm looking at Utd and the mistakes they made and I've no bloody clue what lessons to pull from that.

A new managerial appointment doesn't change 20 years of ingrained culture.

Post #505134  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:10 am 

I'm home bitches.

(Rog - any chance you can Ian Curtis up my avatar - had a look but...)

Yeah it's not going all that well at the moment but we're still Arsenal and that is always better than any possible alternative.

Post #505135  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:10 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
I'm home bitches.

Yeah it's not going all that well at the moment but we're still Arsenal and that is always better than any possible alternative.

Sure no problem.

Err, anyone know what that means exactly ? :icon_eek1:

Post #505136  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:23 am 

Brendan Rodgers is the ‘obvious choice’ to replace Unai Emery as Arsenal manager, says Tim Sherwood

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/06/brendan- ... -11049377/

Post #505137  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:05 am 

warrior wrote:
Brendan Rodgers is the ‘obvious choice’ to replace Unai Emery as Arsenal manager, says Tim Sherwood

Erik ten Hag? Niko Kovac is free I guess...

Post #505138  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:23 am 

The most strongly touted alternatives I’ve heard mentioned are in alphabetical order Allegri, Arteta, Benitez, Ljungberg, Mourinho and Rodgers. Have I forgotten anyone else?

Post #505139  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:57 am 

warrior wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:
I'm home bitches.

Sure no problem.

Err, anyone know what that means exactly ? :icon_eek1:

Erm ... my guess would be that Exiled has returned, posting under another name, and he wishes to use his old avatar that featured the singer Ian Curtis from Joy Division.

Am I close?

Post #505140  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:59 am 

Or, rather, the artist formerly known as Exiled.

Post #505141  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:21 am 

Bernard wrote:
The most strongly touted alternatives I’ve heard mentioned are in alphabetical order Allegri, Arteta, Benitez, Ljungberg, Mourinho and Rodgers. Have I forgotten anyone else?

AG

Post #505142  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:30 am 

Does the fact Pépé and Tierney both played full games last night mean they won't start on Saturday?

I just find it hard to understand the logic in that if it proves to be the case. Our best LB and our only real dribbler both potentially not starting in a game against very trick opposition where Tierney's LB nous could well be needed and Pépé's pace and his deadball ability might be important in a game where we may be playing on the counter and may not create much in open play. Dead-ball situations may be our best chance of a goal.

It's all ifs and buts I know but I guess one reason is he won't play Özil and Pépé in the same starting eleven.

Post #505143  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:03 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Bernard wrote:

AG

Wonder if he’d block all season ticket holders from attending games?

Post #505144  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:27 am 

Bernard wrote:

Vieira

Post #505145  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:35 am 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Vieira

Good point.

Post #505146  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:36 am 

Bernard wrote:

Out of those, it’s a definite no on Mourinho and Benitez for me. That’s exactly the type of appointment I would hate to see, and I don’t understand the notion that we need someone to come in and ’stabilize’ the ship. It’s not like we’re spiralling out of control, we’re 6 points off 4th place with 28 games to go. That’s nothing really. If we appoint a new manager, who isn’t just a caretaker, it should be someone we feel can take the club forward long term.

All those names except Mourinho and Benitez would be fine with me – I wasn’t impressed with Rodgers at Liverpool, he basically lucked out in stumbling over Suarez just as he exploded into a world class player, but he’s done very well since then. I think Howe is worth a look as well.

I like the idea of giving a manager time, but sadly it’s hard to come to any other conclusion than that Emery needs to go as soon as possible now. He’s been here 18 months and I struggle to think of an area where he’s improved the team. Arguably we are worse both offensively and defensively than we were under Wenger’s last few years. The fact that we seem to have gone backwards despite making some really good signings and having a crop of young players of great talent break through speaks volumes. It’s just not working, in any way.

Post #505147  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:46 am 

Since he was appointed, I have always been prepared to give Emery 2 full seasons to introduce the necessary new players, new tactics and new attitudes to get us moving in the right direction.

I've changed my mind in the last couple of weeks. Nothing he has done has worked and we seem every bit as chaotic and rudderless as the last - worst - days of Wenger.

Reluctantly, I think we need a change and it makes sense that it should happen as quickly as possible.

Post #505148  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:48 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Out of those, it’s a definite no on Mourinho and Benitez for me. That’s exactly the type of appointment I would hate to see, and I don’t understand the notion that we need someone to come in and ’stabilize’ the ship. It’s not like we’re spiralling out of control, we’re 6 points off 4th place with 28 games to go. That’s nothing really. If we appoint a new manager, who isn’t just a caretaker, it should be someone we feel can take the club forward long term.

All those names except Mourinho and Benitez would be fine with me – I wasn’t impressed with Rodgers at Liverpool, he basically lucked out in stumbling over Suarez just as he exploded into a world class player, but he’s done very well since then. I think Howe is worth a look as well.

I like the idea of giving a manager time, but sadly it’s hard to come to any other conclusion than that Emery needs to go as soon as possible now. He’s been here 18 months and I struggle to think of an area where he’s improved the team. Arguably we are worse both offensively and defensively than we were under Wenger’s last few years. The fact that we seem to have gone backwards despite making some really good signings and having a crop of young players of great talent break through speaks volumes. It’s just not working, in any way.

Your last paragraph hits the nail on the head Haz. This is where we are at. Emery has to go and I'm not sure why Raul and Edu are waiting until after the inevitable beating at Leicester to wield the axe. He should have gone after the Sheffield Utd match. I'm sure he's a decent guy and probably a very good coach but Emery and Arsenal just doesn't fit. Give it to Freddie for now. He can do no worse, and may even do a lot better.

Post #505149  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:55 am 

DHD wrote:
I've changed my mind in the last couple of weeks. Nothing he has done has worked and we seem every bit as chaotic and rudderless as the last - worst - days of Wenger.

This is it for me. Everything about Emery right now is reacting to things that are out of his control. He’s changing formations, rotating players, like he’s desperately trying to find some solid ground. Seen it happen to managers a hundred times, but I can’t remember many instances of that manager turning things around.

Post #505150  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:19 am 

I thought we had hit rock bottom at the end of AW reign but somehow Emery as taken us deeper. From the initial stage of limbo we have moved through various levels to the point of anger and now I feel rooted in the 8th circle of hell, the guy is just not up to the job.

I was more than happy to give him time and felt once he had a semblance of a defense we would see improvements. Everyone is back fit, and had a fair amount of game time, but still he cannot construct anything that passes for even the most basic of last lines. We've got some decent talent at the Club, he's evidently not the man to utilize it.

Post #505151  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:13 pm 

warrior wrote:

So glad it's not Brendan Rogers saying Tim Sherwood is the obvious choice...

Post #505152  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:27 pm 

tomc wrote:
warrior wrote:

The horror...

Edu and Sanlehi need to be the coolest guys in the place right now. Clearly patience and time are going to be needed and those are two things in short supply. As Haz said with BR and Suares there's a lot of luck involved in football - and we could do with some right now. Something needs to stick be it Pépé's form or a defensive miracle. But mostly if they can keep their heads we might have a chance at coming out of this OK, because presumably it could get worse.

Post #505153  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:38 pm 

Ash wrote:
tomc wrote:

The horror...

Edu and Sanlehi need to be the coolest guys in the place right now. Clearly patience and time are going to be needed and those are two things in short supply. As Haz said with BR and Suares there's a lot of luck involved in football - and we could do with some right now. Something needs to stick be it Pépé's form or a defensive miracle. But mostly if they can keep their heads we might have a chance at coming out of this OK, because presumably it could get worse.

If Emery stays much longer Ash it almost certainly will.....

Post #505154  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:18 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Erm ... my guess would be that Exiled has returned, posting under another name, and he wishes to use his old avatar that featured the singer Ian Curtis from Joy Division.

Am I close?

Ahh - Ok.

Thanx for the translation.

Fixed now.

Post #505155  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:23 pm 

Bernard wrote:

Eddie Howe & Erik ten Hag.

Post #505156  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:04 pm 

Owen Coyle

Post #505157  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:31 pm 

Surely the only reason Emery is still manager is because we board haven't quite sorted out the next replacement or are waiting for the international break to make the announcement? Otherwise I cannot see any merit in delaying the change. By pretty much every indicator we are getting worse and there are no signs of improvement. The longer it continues the more the finger of blame will point to the board for failing to act.

Post #505158  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:35 pm 

So Emery has an opportunity to put a damper on the person the press is saying should/will replace him. The drama...lol.

Emery in. Way too early to talk of changes. It's not his fault he doesn't have the defense we need. And since Wenger we have taken a lot of control from the manager.

Post #505159  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:38 pm 

socrates wrote:
Does the fact Pépé and Tierney both played full games last night mean they won't start on Saturday?

I just find it hard to understand the logic in that if it proves to be the case.

Agreed. Especially Tierney.

Post #505160  Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:10 pm 

My guess is the impatience with Emery is Josh. He seems more of a 'sportsman' than his father and has had direct management experience (Denver Nuggets) in trying to get his team to be a winner.
So, while I disagree with sacking Emery now, if it means Josh is trying to win things, then I'll grudgingly agree. I'd rather someone interested in winning and occasionally getting it wrong in the process than a disinterested owner (Stan) who is committed to another team in a different sport (LA Rams).

[ 571920 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12626, 12627, 12628, 12629, 12630, 12631, 12632 ... 14298  Next