Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 162 guests

Post #503801  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:22 am 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:
With me it’s solely a total lack of interest in the rugby World Cup. It’s being televised in the UK. Off hand I’m not sure of the channel and the only action I’ve seen is when I channel hop to see what’s on. When I see it’s the rugby I go to the next channel immediately. As a result I’ve probably seen a few seconds, even adding up all the times it’s been on when channel hopping before turning to the next channel.

I have Talksport on in my car and they obviously discuss what’s happening it the rugby World Cup. While I don’t turn it off I don’t pay any attention to what they’re saying about it. I had no idea Australia lost until I read the post by Gaz. I didn’t know South Africa were still in it until I saw the reply from Decaf. I don’t know what stage it’s up to either, but it’s been going on for what seems so long I assume we must be nearing the final. Yet I have no idea when the final is, or the semi or quarter finals if they haven’t yet been played. Though I couldn’t tell you who those games are or might be between.

My guess is England must still be in it as I imagine I wouldn’t have been able to avoid all the coverage had they been knocked out, with all the fuss likely to be made obvious via headlines in papers, television news slots, or Talksport.

EDIT: One thing I have picked up from Talksport is that it’s being held in Japan.

If only Germany had qualified, eh Bern.

Come to mention it, Mertesacker would be awesome in the line-outs. He might finally have found the game for him. :laughing7:

What are line-outs?

He was awesome at football too.

Post #503802  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:37 am 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Just to keep you updated Bern, the Taffs are currently losing to the Frogs, but the latter have just had someone sent off for an elbow to the face. All to play for, exciting game. To save you having to search out the channel it's on ITV. :58big-emoticons:

Many thanks. I know the Frogs will be France. Who are the Taffs though? Wales? I’m aware that New Zealand have a strong reputation for rugby. Thought they were the All Blacks because of their kit, not Taffs.

Morning Bernard. Yes the Taffs are Wales, though strictly speaking a Taff is a resident of the Cardiff area due to the river Taff running through it.
They won 19-18 by the way.

Post #503803  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:08 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Morning Bernard. Yes the Taffs are Wales, though strictly speaking a Taff is a resident of the Cardiff area due to the river Taff running through it.
They won 19-18 by the way.

Thanks. Must have heard taffs before as Wales came into my mind. The all important thing is England losing, whenever they play and whoever they play.

Post #503804  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:09 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:
If only Germany had qualified, eh Bern.

Come to mention it, Mertesacker would be awesome in the line-outs. He might finally have found the game for him. :laughing7:

What are line-outs?

That predictive typing is a pain, Bernard, you obviously were trying to type "awful" and it has replaced it with "awesome". I would have a word with Warrior about it.

Post #503805  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:18 am 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:
What are line-outs?

That predictive typing is a pain, Bernard, you obviously were trying to type "awful" and it has replaced it with "awesome". I would have a word with Warrior about it.

To clear up any misunderstanding, I’ll say ‘brilliant’ instead.

Post #503806  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:57 am 

Rugby update Bernard- the Boks dominant in the second half against the cherry blossoms.

Post #503807  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:21 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rugby update Bernard- the Boks dominant in the second half against the cherry blossoms.

The Boks are definitely South Africa, as in Springboks. Cherry blossoms? Got me stumped there, which is more than Mr Bairstow would be able to do.

Post #503808  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:27 pm 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:
What are line-outs?

:laughing7: :laughing7:

Post #503809  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:59 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

The Boks are definitely South Africa, as in Springboks. Cherry blossoms? Got me stumped there, which is more than Mr Bairstow would be able to do.

Which country has a famous 'cherry blossom festival'? The cherry trees blossom in the south first and gradually up through the islands.

Post #503810  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:10 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Which country has a famous 'cherry blossom festival'? The cherry trees blossom in the south first and gradually up through the islands.

No idea. Is Bournemouth’s nickname the cherries? Bournemouth is in England, so England perhaps?

EDIT: There again you mention islands. New Zealand is different islands but they’re called the All Blacks. Who else is in it? Scotland has some islands but don’t see the link to cherry blossom for them. Ireland is an island. Argentina isn’t. No, Mr Bairstow must be dropped for you.

Post #503811  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:11 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Glass houses?
The Boere supporters are unusually keeping quiet and necks reeled lest they come a cropper against Japan.

With me it’s solely a total lack of interest in the rugby World Cup. It’s being televised in the UK. Off hand I’m not sure of the channel and the only action I’ve seen is when I channel hop to see what’s on. When I see it’s the rugby I go to the next channel immediately. As a result I’ve probably seen a few seconds, even adding up all the times it’s been on when channel hopping before turning to the next channel.

I have Talksport on in my car and they obviously discuss what’s happening it the rugby World Cup. While I don’t turn it off I don’t pay any attention to what they’re saying about it. I had no idea Australia lost until I read the post by Gaz. I didn’t know South Africa were still in it until I saw the reply from Decaf. I don’t know what stage it’s up to either, but it’s been going on for what seems so long I assume we must be nearing the final. Yet I have no idea when the final is, or the semi or quarter finals if they haven’t yet been played. Though I couldn’t tell you who those games are or might be between.

My guess is England must still be in it as I imagine I wouldn’t have been able to avoid all the coverage had they been knocked out, with all the fuss likely to be made obvious via headlines in papers, television news slots, or Talksport.

EDIT: One thing I have picked up from Talksport is that it’s being held in Japan.

My interest in the rugby is pretty much confined to enjoying it when SA lose. SA rugby supporters are a bunch of dodos. I like the game, but the boneheaded mentality that surrounds the game here puts me right off.

South Africa being absolutely mauled by India in the cricket yet again. Abject.

Post #503812  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:18 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

No idea. Is Bournemouth’s nickname the cherries? Bournemouth is in England, so England perhaps?

Hmm I don't think you're taking this very seriously Bernard. :icon_mrgreen:
No it's not England.

I gave you a few clues - cherry blossoms start in the south so it's a northern hemisphere nation. Secondly it's a group of islands. Arsenal have had a few players from here, with little success for the two I can think of off the top of my head.

Post #503813  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:28 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
No it's not England.

I gave you a few clues - cherry blossoms start in the south so it's a northern hemisphere nation. Secondly it's a group of islands. Arsenal have had a few players from here, with little success for the two I can think of off the top of my head.

Northern hemisphere country that Arsenal has had two unsuccessful players from? With a link to cherry blossom? Are Russia in it? Arshavin wasn’t that good. Was there anyone else from Russia? But Russia isn’t a group of islands.

Post #503814  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:35 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
No it's not England.

Northern hemisphere country that Arsenal has had two unsuccessful players from? With a link to cherry blossom? Are Russia in it? Arshavin wasn’t that good. Was there anyone else from Russia? But Russia isn’t a group of islands.

You'd make an excellent Dr Watson if you ever tried your hand at acting, Bernard.

Post #503815  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:59 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
No it's not England.

In comparison with the amount of success the two players I'm thinking of had at Arsenal, Arshavin's career with us resembles a combination of Henry, Bergkamp and Eddie Hapgood only better.
So no - not Russia :icon_mrgreen:
This country produces a rather tasty but fairly lethal rice wine.

Post #503816  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:08 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
In comparison with the amount of success the two players I'm thinking of had at Arsenal, Arshavin's career with us resembles a combination of Henry, Bergkamp and Eddie Hapgood only better.

An Oriental country then. Are Japan still in it? I knew they hosted it but thought they’d be rubbish and knock out early. I remember Ryo but who else was there?

Post #503817  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

An Oriental country then. Are Japan still in it? I knew they hosted it but thought they’d be rubbish and knock out early. I remember Ryo but who else was there?

Oh I forgot about him. Inamoto and Asano I was thinking of.
Yes, the cherry blossoms are Japan. Much better than they used to be at rugby, beat both Ireland and Scotland getting to the quarter finals.

Post #503818  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:09 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Yes, the cherry blossoms are Japan. Much better than they used to be at rugby, beat both Ireland and Scotland getting to the quarter finals.

Ireland were dismal. It's some fall-off in performance. 12 months ago we were Grand Slam Champions and then went and beat New Zealand. Since then we've been walloped by England, Wales and New Zealand and lost to Japan.

Post #503819  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:44 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I forgot your two. Indeed, even after seeing his name I still don’t remember Asano. Didn’t realise Japan had improved enough to beat those sides. I always perceive the Japanese as quite small people and I had the impression the normal rugby player was physically imposing.

Post #503820  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:03 pm 

C'mon Man Utd. Hope I'm not jinxing them.

Post #503821  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:08 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

I forgot your two. Indeed, even after seeing his name I still don’t remember Asano. Didn’t realise Japan had improved enough to beat those sides. I always perceive the Japanese as quite small people and I had the impression the normal rugby player was physically imposing.

Asano signed, went straight out on loan and was sold in the summer having never played for us.
The Japanese rugby team have a few 'naturalised' players in their team and a few big Japanese guys, but they got overpowered physically by the giant South Africans earlier today. They played some fast, brave, skilful rugby during the tournament though.

Post #503822  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:13 pm 

More VAR nonsense at Old Trafford

Post #503823  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:17 pm 

dec wrote:

Looked a clear foul in the build up to United's goal.

Post #503824  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:23 pm 

I'm not a jinx any longer but a good luck charm. I got Man Utd a goal after my post and a goal disallowed.
:58big-emoticons:

Post #503825  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:25 pm 

This may end a draw which is a decent result for Man Utd in their present form. Hoping they are able to counter LFC who are sure to push forward and press them.

Post #503826  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:30 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
dec wrote:

Looked a clear foul in the build up to United's goal.

Yep. It was reviewed and the goal allowed. Its utter bs.

Post #503827  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:26 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I'm not a jinx any longer but a good luck charm. I got Man Utd a goal after my post and a goal disallowed.

Well Liverpool avoided defeat so are still on course for an unbeaten league campaign.

Post #503828  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:29 pm 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Well Liverpool avoided defeat so are still on course for an unbeaten league campaign.

Yes, and Man Utd, still likely to be a rival for top 4, picked up a point.

Post #503829  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:38 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Apparently it’s all thanks to our self-acclaimed non-jinxer. Just a shame it wasn’t a good result.

Post #503830  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:18 pm 

https://talksport.com/football/617923/a ... tin-keown/

Post #503831  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:32 pm 

warrior wrote:
https://talksport.com/football/617923/arsenal-invincibles-mesut-ozil-martin-keown/

Yes Martin Keown. Nail on head.

Post #503832  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:32 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Apparently it’s all thanks to our self-acclaimed non-jinxer. Just a shame it wasn’t a good result.

I am.happy with that result. Liverpool dropped points so City closed the gap. Man U dropped points from a winning position and it does nothing for them really.

Post #503833  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:30 pm 

dec wrote:
I am.happy with that result. Liverpool dropped points so City closed the gap. Man U dropped points from a winning position and it does nothing for them really.

I think I’d have liked someone to win. Had United won Liverpool couldn’t have an unbeaten season. But with a draw, they still can while United gained a point from a game they were expected to lose.

Post #503834  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:27 pm 

warrior wrote:
https://talksport.com/football/617923/arsenal-invincibles-mesut-ozil-martin-keown/

Man-up Özil, you did it with Germany, and now with Arsenal. Show it on the field, and no one will berate you.

Post #503835  Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:28 pm 

Shame on Pool's continued unbeaten run. Let's build on and be the team to break it. Emery, start re-thinking very hard on your tactics with the talented lot you have.

Post #503836  Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:54 am 

I'm reading articles about Pépé not settled in. Really? Give me a break. We are 8 games into the league. Didn't take that long for Bergkamp to score his first goal. Didn't turn out too bad for us, did he? Give the guy some time to settle. The press and fans are so impatient. Beyond any reason.

Post #503837  Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:01 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Shame on Pool's continued unbeaten run. Let's build on and be the team to break it. Emery, start re-thinking very hard on your tactics with the talented lot you have.

At least they dropped points. Man Utd came close. It shows they aren't "invincible".

Post #503838  Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:49 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

At least they dropped points. Man Utd came close. It shows they aren't "invincible".

Until they lose - they are invincible. If the callers on talksport and other programs are any indication then I certainly don't want them to go undefeated. If I hear the words 'European champions' and the way they carry on now , I don't want them to have an undefeated season ever. In fact I am hoping some how or other City catch them.

Post #503839  Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:00 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Until they lose - they are invincible. If the callers on talksport and other programs are any indication then I certainly don't want them to go undefeated. If I hear the words 'European champions' and the way they carry on now , I don't want them to have an undefeated season ever. In fact I am hoping some how or other City catch them.

I think I’m right in saying we had twelve draws in that undefeated season but are still termed as Invincibles, so I agree with you Gaz.

Post #503840  Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:52 am 

Just watched some highlights of Monaco's game against Rennes. There are teams with even worse defences than us. Both teams were terrible. Fanergas just controlled the midfield and made a number of chances.

[ 571644 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12593, 12594, 12595, 12596, 12597, 12598, 12599 ... 14292  Next