Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Googlebot and 134 guests

Post #503641  Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:22 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Well there’s a surprise. I never saw that coming

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... ockey-team
Remember Trevor Hockey?

Post #503642  Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:31 am 

socrates wrote:
Forget about bloody Brexit, this Wagatha Christie story is proper news. Comedy gold.

Fiendish criminal mastermind Rebekah Moriarty Vardy's dastardly plot to take over the world was thwarted by the sheer genius of newly appointed head of MI5 Colleen Sherlock Rooney.

OMG.

:42laughter:

It’s brilliant

Vardy is a shameless self publicist

Basically there’s only one way to sort this out and it’s a paddling pool filled with jelly and the 2 of them wrestling till it meets a conclusion

Post #503643  Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:48 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Remember Trevor Hockey?

Loved the beard. If your team looked like it could be in relegation trouble the manager would go out and sign Trevor. Not the most skilful, indeed often simply brutal but if you needed to pick a player to fight for your life you would pencil in his name.

Post #503644  Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:57 am 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
But, I would do the same as Özil. Carry on earning the fat wages and doing little, or nothing at all.
Emery allows it, so why not?

What can Emery do to stop it? The managerial decision-making structure is no longer what it was in the Wenger years. I doubt paying off Özil’s contract is his final decision. All Emery can do is attempt to persuade the hierarchy above him, presumably Raul Sanllehi in the main, to either pay off his contract or meet much of Özil’s salary if he agrees to join another club on loan. The obvious strategy for Emery to do that is not pick him, and he’s basically doing that apart from giving Özil the occasional chance of proving he wants to play, which Özil is clearly not doing.

I don’t see how it’s fair to blame Emery for the situation with Özil, including any claim that Emery has mismanaged him.

Also why should the club have to pay off his contract because Özil is playing beneath himself.

Contrast how Ramsey was playing out of self respect after he agreed to his Juve move to how Özil is playing now going through the motions. Shows something about his character

Post #503645  Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:40 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I wonder if we are still interested in him.

https://tbrfootball.com/summer-arsenal- ... o-2019-20/
Summer Arsenal target Daniele Rugani has had miserable start to 2019/20

I thought he would have been a better bet than Luiz. Gone off the boil a bit but on form a better defender than Luiz.

Post #503646  Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:52 am 

Gunfire wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I wonder if we are still interested in him.

https://tbrfootball.com/summer-arsenal- ... o-2019-20/
Summer Arsenal target Daniele Rugani has had miserable start to 2019/20

I thought he would have been a better bet than Luiz. Gone off the boil a bit but on form a better defender than Luiz.

He would have cost 36 million and there were massive doubts about him last season.

I think the club were worried about another Mustafi signing and opted for LUiz as a stop gap

Post #503647  Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:35 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Remember Trevor Hockey?

Ho ho ho. :58big-emoticons:

Post #503648  Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:46 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

He would have cost 36 million and there were massive doubts about him last season.

I think the club were worried about another Mustafi signing and opted for LUiz as a stop gap

I thought the figure was less around 24 million. And Luiz has not thus far been much of an addition.

Post #503649  Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:
Forget about bloody Brexit, this Wagatha Christie story is proper news. Comedy gold.

Fiendish criminal mastermind Rebekah Moriarty Vardy's dastardly plot to take over the world was thwarted by the sheer genius of newly appointed head of MI5 Colleen Sherlock Rooney.

OMG.

:42laughter:

It’s brilliant

Vardy is a shameless self publicist

Basically there’s only one way to sort this out and it’s a paddling pool filled with jelly and the 2 of them wrestling till it meets a conclusion

Oh it's a mud singer alright... :1laughter:

Attachments:

Post #503650  Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:45 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Also why should the club have to pay off his contract because Özil is playing beneath himself. Contrast how Ramsey was playing out of self respect after he agreed to his Juve move to how Özil is playing now going through the motions. Shows something about his character
People don't rate Özil, everyone entitled to a view, but how can he be considered to be going through the motions when he isn't even playing? Two 70 minute appearances in 11 first team games - he has hardly had a chance to play beneath himself this season. Bottom line is that the manager doesn't fancy him. That Özil hasn't been all over the media complaing about it shouldn't be used against him as not giving a monkeys.

Post #503651  Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:00 pm 

Emery dropped Özil last season when half the team was performing poorly. As we continued to struggle, he persisted with an out of form Iwobi ahead of Özil. Didn't he even suggest at one stage that Özil would be better off somewhere else?

He wasn't playing Ramsey either until injuries forced him to and Ramsey was MOTM game after game.

Now it's perfectly legitimate to question why Özil didn't react like Ramsey. I think it's very obvious that Ramsey loves the club. He became a proper footballer at Arsenal. Özil clearly has no such emotional connection and is a different type of character altogether.

Özil was very good in his first two seasons with us. He was the leading creator of chances in the league by a mile.

I think Emery has managed him very badly. Özil deserves plenty of criticism but Emery certainly doesn't help.

Appoint him as one of your 5 captains (such an absurdity) and then drop him from the squad.

Post #503652  Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:05 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Also why should the club have to pay off his contract because Özil is playing beneath himself. Contrast how Ramsey was playing out of self respect after he agreed to his Juve move to how Özil is playing now going through the motions. Shows something about his character
People don't rate Özil, everyone entitled to a view, but how can he be considered to be going through the motions when he isn't even playing?

Because when he has played over the last 2 years his displays have been lethargic and disappointing.

Like I said Europa league final .... did less than Willock did And he was only on the pitch 13 minutes.

There was once a decent player in there who did it in spurts and could find passes few could but now there’s nothing.

He just wants us to pay up his contract early in full so he can go back to turkey. It’s obvious and we are right to dig our heels in.

Post #503653  Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:27 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
People don't rate Özil, everyone entitled to a view, but how can he be considered to be going through the motions when he isn't even playing?

Because when he has played over the last 2 years his displays have been lethargic and disappointing. Like I said Europa league final .... did less than Willock did And he was only on the pitch 13 minutes. There was once a decent player in there who did it in spurts and could find passes few could but now there’s nothing.
He just wants us to pay up his contract early in full so he can go back to turkey. It’s obvious and we are right to dig our heels in.
That doesn't answer the point about him supposedly going through the motions when he isn't even playing. That is some trick! You state as an obvious fact that he wants to have his contract paid up in full in order to go to Turkey. How do you know that?

Post #503654  Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:06 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Because when he has played over the last 2 years his displays have been lethargic and disappointing. Like I said Europa league final .... did less than Willock did And he was only on the pitch 13 minutes. There was once a decent player in there who did it in spurts and could find passes few could but now there’s nothing.
That doesn't answer the point about him supposedly going through the motions when he isn't even playing. That is some trick! You state as an obvious fact that he wants to have his contract paid up in full in order to go to Turkey. How do you know that?

Presumably he's not putting it in on the training field either Hoy, and his displays have been ordinary at best for as long as I can remember when he has played. I think it was Bernard (apologies if I'm wrong there) who said something to the effect that playing Özil was pretty much playing with 10 men. In my opinion he's done nothing to deserve a place in the side. Having a massive wage is not enough to justify playing a passenger. I've long since had enough of him and the sooner he's out of the club the better.

Post #503655  Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:08 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Because it’s just bloody obvious since he became Erdogans mate

He’s still getting minor game time and when he does he doesn’t impress let’s face it.

Post #503656  Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:27 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Because it’s just bloody obvious since he became Erdogans mate

He’s still getting minor game time and when he does he doesn’t impress let’s face it.

And this from Bayern president, Hoeness on Özil fom July 2018. This was said after Özil stepped away from the DFB and his photo with Erdogan and Özil's speech, wherein he stated he felt unwanted, among other things.

Uli Hoeness, who told SportBild “Özil has been playing *%^@ for years. He won his last tackle before the 2014 World Cup. All he is doing on the field is playing cross passes. Now he hides himself and his crap performance behind this photo.

“Whenever we played against Arsenal, we played over him, because we knew he was the weak point.”

No telling what's really going on at Arsenal as Özil possibly is feeling unwanted again.

Post #503657  Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:13 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
People don't rate Özil, everyone entitled to a view, but how can he be considered to be going through the motions when he isn't even playing? Two 70 minute appearances in 11 first team games - he has hardly had a chance to play beneath himself this season. Bottom line is that the manager doesn't fancy him. That Özil hasn't been all over the media complaing about it shouldn't be used against him as not giving a monkeys.

Özil is a fantastic player. I think he got better with us. He did the things he was known to be good for and added toughness and a few goals. People were asking of him to be something he is not: a leader. He was never a leader in the traditional sense. I also think neither Wenger or Emery could pigeon hole him into a XI that works. Not Özil's fault. He is what he is. At his best, he was very good.

The time has come for him to go. I'm not blaming him. I'm not blaming the manager either. It's like I told an ex "It's not you. It's not me either. It's nobody's fault. Bad timing." :1laughter:

[..and we were better off bringing Fabregas back..haha..I've beaten that horse beyond recognition :1laughter: ]

Post #503658  Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:20 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
[..and we were better off bringing Fabregas back..haha..I've beaten that horse beyond recognition :1laughter: ]

You certainly have. Miles beyond recognition. One of your obsessions, maybe? Wenger presumably didn’t want him back and wouldn’t take him back, perhaps because of his actions in getting the club to sell him to Barcelona?

Post #503659  Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:46 am 

So, Özil doesn't work hard enough in training.
https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/10/raul-san ... wsnow-feed

Post #503660  Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:15 am 

I'm sure most of you have seen the Wright - Bergkamp interview. You can see the genuine love between the two. it's always great seeing the old boys get together and reminisce.

Post #503661  Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:08 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
So, Özil doesn't work hard enough in training.
https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/10/raul-san ... wsnow-feed

I’m not sure this is news

Didn’t Aaron Ramsey say in an interview that Özil was the worst trainer he’d seen in his time at the club.

Post #503662  Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:32 am 

Apparently to bring safe standing to Arsenal stadium would actually result in a reduction of capacity.

Post #503663  Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:12 am 

socrates wrote:

OMG.

I am starting to have concerns that natural selection is no longer working.

Post #503664  Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:08 am 

dec wrote:
Özil was very good in his first two seasons with us. He was the leading creator of chances in the league by a mile.

Wasn't he our player of the season in his fourth season with us?

Post #503665  Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:26 am 

Bored wrote:
Apparently to bring safe standing to Arsenal stadium would actually result in a reduction of capacity.

If so, that’s guaranteed it won’t happen.

Post #503666  Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:43 pm 

Slovenia U21s v England U21s Eddie playing alongide the likes of Foden and Hudson-Odoi. Real livewire up front and made and sored a penalty to give 1-0 lead.

If anybody speaks Slovenian I can give them a link lol.

Post #503667  Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:37 pm 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

You certainly have. Miles beyond recognition. One of your obsessions, maybe? Wenger presumably didn’t want him back and wouldn’t take him back, perhaps because of his actions in getting the club to sell him to Barcelona?
Its against my principles, but I'm seriously considering filtering him out. Hes like a dripping sewage pipe.

Post #503668  Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:35 pm 

Thinking ahead. Sheffield away is going to be very tough if their results are anything to go by.

Post #503669  Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:05 am 

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier ... -upamecano

Arsenal fans drool over transfer target Dayot Upamecano

Post #503670  Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:29 am 

Jeez the english fans love affair with the national team has quickly changed with a couple of not great results. Last week they were nailed on to win the next WC and now they are being slated.

Post #503671  Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:40 pm 

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... g-20565720

The numbers speaks for itself :42laughter:

Post #503672  Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:45 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Jeez the english fans love affair with the national team has quickly changed with a couple of not great results. Last week they were nailed on to win the next WC and now they are being slated.
Yes, we need to learn from Aussie how to take defeat in our stride...

Post #503673  Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:46 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Yes, we need to learn from Aussie how to take defeat in our stride...

Exactly. Okay I didn't say that we were a model to follow. I don't take defeat well at all. But the football comms were scathing and calling for all type of changes.

Post #503674  Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:07 am 

I have been thinking about the apparent disparity of how Emery approaches cup games and the EPL performances.

I suspect that Emery’s continued employment at Arsenal depends on us getting a CL spot next year. Maybe he has even been told that they want to concentrate on a top 4 finish and not get entry by the Europa which can be a bit more hit and miss.

He is super cautious in the EPL but seems to allow the team to play open football in the cups. I know that we haven’t played very good teams in the cups but Frankfurt were okay. I think that he will continue to be cautious in the EPL and so I suspect we will struggle to actually start putting it all together as a team as he will not allow the players to have their head.

The hope I have is that the players will just start expanding their games even if against his instructions.

Emery has his weaknesses but if he was to go I want him replaced with a manager who will continue the youth project. Too many managers just want to put their faith in experienced players and I suspect if the board had not got rid of Mkhitaryan and a few others he would have always gone back to them in games.

I am torn as while I don’t like some things that Emery does, I want to know if Smith-Rowe, Eddie, Wilcock, Saka, Marinelli and others are good enough and if they make it. Would I give up another year of CL to find out – probably. If the EPL team actually started playing really well and we were promoting young players I would not care if we missed just one more year of CL.

Post #503675  Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:44 am 

Goonie wrote:

Özil got Arsenal’s player of the year award for 2015/16, his third season with the club.

Post #503676  Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:42 am 

Kiwi, If you check in now and then - bloody good Bathurst with a good result. If a Kiwi has to win it I prefer Scotty to Van Gis. It was nerve wracking in the last 20 laps.

Post #503677  Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:49 am 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Özil got Arsenal’s player of the year award for 2015/16, his third season with the club.

So that makes this season his seventh with us. Bloody hell. I didn't think it was so long.
Let's hope we can ship him out, on loan at least, in January.

Post #503678  Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:57 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

So that makes this season his seventh with us. Bloody hell. I didn't think it was so long.
Let's hope we can ship him out, on loan at least, in January.

Like a marriage - seven year itch setting in.

Post #503679  Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:08 pm 

So now he saves a penalty !

Post #503680  Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:13 pm 

warrior wrote:
So now he saves a penalty !

:36angers:

[ 571641 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12589, 12590, 12591, 12592, 12593, 12594, 12595 ... 14292  Next