Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 106 guests

Post #502641  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:44 am 

I don't know if we are a different side in Europe. There is compelling evidence to suggest that since we went all the way to the final, showed some character up to the final (we won't talk about the collapse against Chelsea) while at the same not playing well in the league. Perhaps we would have won had it been a non PL side in the final, even of the same quality.

I don't know if we are a different side. It could be the PL is such a tough league, the competition in the Europa Cup pales to some extent in comparison. The only two PL sides in the competition met each other in the final. Also, the top 4 clubs in the CL made it far enough where they no longer could drop to the Europa cup. In fact, all the PL sides made it into the quarter finals.

So, it could be the league is the toughest in the world. And the Europa is a much easier competition in comparison. The Frankfurt win is huge though, as they were semi finalists last season and could have faced us in the final.

Post #502642  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:59 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
What impressed me most about Saka last night, was that I actually thought he struggled a bit in the first half. He was involved a lot, but nothing he tried seemed to come off right, and he looked a bit nervous. That made his second half contribution even more impressive in my book. It's easy for a young player to start hiding when things aren't going well, but he just kept at it and in the end he was the one who made the difference. Extremely impressive considering he turned 18 just two weeks ago.

I think that is a good summary.

I agree.

Post #502643  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:06 pm 

Now that we have offloaded some of the expensive deadwood it’s great to see so many young players getting games. Do you reckon Mhikitaryan would have scored 1 and got 2 assists last night ?

That was an incredible cameo by Saka. Wonder if he will start seeing more game time.

I’m starting to have my doubts about emery but yesterday’s team selection was bold.

For the first time in years we have decent players coming through and isn’t it brilliant to watch Willock, Saka and Nelson get games rather than El nenny and that united cast off

Post #502644  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:36 pm 

Saka on Ljungberg: "He helps so much. Sometimes when I don’t understand what the coach [Emery] is trying to communicate with me, I have a better communication with Freddie. He speaks better English"

Post #502645  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Saka on Ljungberg: "He helps so much. Sometimes when I don’t understand what the coach [Emery] is trying to communicate with me, I have a better communication with Freddie. He speaks better English"

But how does Freddie know what Unai is saying so that he can pass it on? Or does Freddie speak Spanish?

Or - heresy - is Freddie providing his own direction?

Post #502646  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:29 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
socrates wrote:
Cracking win in a hostile astmosphere.

Load of chances at both ends, could have been any score.

Martinez, Willock and Saka the stand-outs for me.

Soc, has one of the most discerning, critical eye (and its NOT meant as criticism) regarding The Arsenal so when he is that impressed, it says something.

Or, in other words, I'm a miserable git who is always moaning :laughing7:

Post #502647  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:33 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I don't know if we are a different side in Europe. There is compelling evidence to suggest that since we went all the way to the final, showed some character up to the final (we won't talk about the collapse against Chelsea) while at the same not playing well in the league. Perhaps we would have won had it been a non PL side in the final, even of the same quality.

I don't know if we are a different side. It could be the PL is such a tough league, the competition in the Europa Cup pales to some extent in comparison. The only two PL sides in the competition met each other in the final. Also, the top 4 clubs in the CL made it far enough where they no longer could drop to the Europa cup. In fact, all the PL sides made it into the quarter finals.

So, it could be the league is the toughest in the world. And the Europa is a much easier competition in comparison. The Frankfurt win is huge though, as they were semi finalists last season and could have faced us in the final.

The Europa League is generally much easier until you get to the knock-out phases. The odd game away from home can be tricky but the early rounds ought to be the place where the kids can gain valuable experience.

Post #502648  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:38 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Now that we have offloaded some of the expensive deadwood it’s great to see so many young players getting games. Do you reckon Mhikitaryan would have scored 1 and got 2 assists last night ?

That was an incredible cameo by Saka. Wonder if he will start seeing more game time.

I’m starting to have my doubts about emery but yesterday’s team selection was bold.

For the first time in years we have decent players coming through and isn’t it brilliant to watch Willock, Saka and Nelson get games rather than El nenny and that united cast off

It's great isn't it, although I'm surprised Emery played so many kids in this particular game.

Post #502649  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:58 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

But how does Freddie know what Unai is saying so that he can pass it on? Or does Freddie speak Spanish?

Or - heresy - is Freddie providing his own direction?

Apparently the club employs 3 ex secret service lip readers as part of the coaching staff who listen to Emery’s instructions then using a rare technique of understanding speech by visually interpreting the movements of the lips, face and tongue when normal sound is not available translate it to the players and staff so they know what they are doing.

Post #502650  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:14 pm 

Spurs have released a book about their champions league run called ‘one step from glory’

Post #502651  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:19 pm 

socrates wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Soc, has one of the most discerning, critical eye (and its NOT meant as criticism) regarding The Arsenal so when he is that impressed, it says something.

Or, in other words, I'm a miserable git who is always moaning :laughing7:

Haha...actually, quite the opposite. One of the few people's posts I actually look for. Always need a sober minded view of things.

Post #502652  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:17 pm 

Rich wrote:
Spurs have released a book about their champions league run called ‘one step from glory’

Well let’s hope they are looking back in ten years time talking about the last time they had a chance to win anything at all.

Post #502653  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:26 pm 

Tierney and Bellerin played 62 minutes for the U23 tonight

Post #502654  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:48 am 

Rich wrote:
Tierney and Bellerin played 62 minutes for the U23 tonight

Great news!

Post #502655  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:28 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Ooooh, that might put Saka in the bad books of Emery :42laughter: Although it is true about Emery's English communication, it is not discernible.

Post #502656  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:37 am 

Interesting story that broke yesterday, Liverpool were accused of hacking in to man city’s Scouting database back in 2012, in cans out yesterday that Liverpool paid city £1m over the incident but didn’t accept any wrongdoing

Post #502657  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:19 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Apparently the club employs 3 ex secret service lip readers as part of the coaching staff who listen to Emery’s instructions then using a rare technique of understanding speech by visually interpreting the movements of the lips, face and tongue when normal sound is not available translate it to the players and staff so they know what they are doing.

In which case I wish that Sky would hack into that for the tv interviews. :laughing7:

Post #502658  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:42 am 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

In which case I wish that Sky would hack into that for the tv interviews. :laughing7:

He basically needs that thing Stephen Hawking used. Sorted

Post #502659  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:13 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

How many of our regular first team have English as their first language? Tierney, AMN (although he won’t be when Bellerin is fit), probably Holding. Chambers is part of the squad, and Willock will play plenty of games (my guess is more than Nelson). I think Saka, despite his excellent second half in Frankfurt, is still quite some way from being a regular first team player, and Smith Rowe is even further away.

Out of that lot, when everyone is 100% fit, I’d say Tierney is the only guaranteed starter for a vital game, although Holding has a very good chance. Is the coach being fluent in English as important as it once was, even if it’s frustrating for fans listening to interviews?

Post #502660  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:43 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

How many of our regular first team have English as their first language? Tierney, AMN (although he won’t be when Bellerin is fit), probably Holding. Chambers is part of the squad, and Willock will play plenty of games (my guess is more than Nelson). I think Saka, despite his excellent second half in Frankfurt, is still quite some way from being a regular first team player, and Smith Rowe is even further away.

Out of that lot, when everyone is 100% fit, I’d say Tierney is the only guaranteed starter for a vital game, although Holding has a very good chance. Is the coach being fluent in English as important as it once was, even if it’s frustrating for fans listening to interviews?

Yes it’s absolutely essential

He needs to communicate on a level the fans and media can see he’s a solid decision maker, in control and be assured in his ability to do his job. If he can’t do that then all I’ll say is that football is an unforgiving business.

To be honest if he can’t get to that level I don’t think he will be around long and his placid interviews after games contribute to the overall thinking of many people who aren’t convinced by him

Post #502661  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:53 am 

:20hospitals:
TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

He needs to communicate on a level the fans and media can see he’s a solid decision maker, in control and be assured in his ability to do his job. If he can’t do that then all I’ll say is that football is an unforgiving business.

To be honest if he can’t get to that level I don’t think he will be around long and his placid interviews after games contribute to the overall thinking of many people who aren’t convinced by him

Didn’t seem to do Pochettino’s reputation much harm when it took him ages to give an interview in English. I’d say Emery has made a bigger effort to learn the language more quickly than he did.

Post #502662  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:03 am 

Bernard wrote:
:20hospitals:
TOP GUN wrote:

Didn’t seem to do Pochettino’s reputation much harm when it took him ages to give an interview in English. I’d say Emery has made a bigger effort to learn the language more quickly than he did.

Pochettino got some decent results. His English is now excellent and had to deal with a fan base with minimal expectations and intelligence

Post #502663  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:06 am 

In a part of Iceland more isolated than an Arsenal central defender, I was most surprised to bump into one of my heroes.
Attachment:

Post #502664  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:09 am 

Has Tottenham peaked?

Post #502665  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:10 am 

You have to (or not) have to feel sorry for Liverpool. They have put together a side that would have ran away with the title, and pretty much brought back the glory days and City happens.

Post #502666  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:21 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Has Tottenham peaked?

Good question my pencils up the nose and ears loving American friend

Answer is possibly. Ericsson leaving in January probably and a manager who looks increasingly like the Penny has dropped. Could be a turning point

Post #502667  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:33 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Pochettino got some decent results. His English is now excellent and had to deal with a fan base with minimal expectations and intelligence

Exactly, it’s all about results. I’m quite sure if results go well fans will miraculously become more tolerant of Emery’s broken English. Also, when Emery has been in England as long as Pochettino has, or if he is, I fully expect his English will be just as good. Is it possible some bad results have made a number of fans looking to moan about Emery move onto his English?

Post #502668  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:35 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Has Tottenham peaked?

They peaked in 1961.

Foothilled? Probably.

Post #502669  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:39 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
You have to (or not) have to feel sorry for Liverpool. They have put together a side that would have ran away with the title, and pretty much brought back the glory days and City happens.

Please could someone who is on his wavelength let him know that they won the Champion League. So he doesnt have to feel sorry for them.

Post #502670  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:44 pm 

Caglar Soyuncu looks a good player for Leicester.

Pretty sure Mislintat identified him as a priority signing a season or so back.

Post #502671  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:28 pm 

City 5 nil up after 25 minutes againest Watford :laughing7:

That’s the gap Emery has to address

Post #502672  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:29 pm 

Decaf wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Please could someone who is on his wavelength .....l

Your going to be waiting an awful long time ...

Post #502673  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:51 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
City 5 nil up after 25 minutes againest Watford :laughing7:

That’s the gap Emery has to address

Hmm. Now 8-0. I guess that Watford are finding that hugely different from playing us.

Post #502674  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:29 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Has Tottenham peaked?

Post #502675  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:38 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Has Tottenham peaked?

Decaf beat you to the punch with that one. :icon_wink:

Post #502676  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:04 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Decaf beat you to the punch with that one. :icon_wink:
Yes, my reflexes are slowing!

Post #502677  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:11 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
City 5 nil up after 25 minutes againest Watford :laughing7: That’s the gap Emery has to address
Yes, that should be easy enough, as City are not really all that special. Anything less than a 9-0 mullering of Watford at our place and the airplanes and banners will be fully deserved.

Post #502678  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:17 pm 

Bernard wrote:
... I’m quite sure if results go well fans will miraculously become more tolerant of Emery’s broken English...
Let's be honest B, it is devastated English. Like Humpty Dumpty it is unlikely ever to be put together in a form of the language we recognise. If it is that really would be a miracle. But, as you say, if he wins a cup, who gives a *%^@?

Post #502679  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:36 pm 

Coutinho scored his first Bayern goal today. A penalty.

Post #502680  Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:41 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Has Tottenham peaked?

lol. I won't bring up the Gazza years.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12564, 12565, 12566, 12567, 12568, 12569, 12570 ... 14269  Next