Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 128 guests

Post #502601  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:34 pm 

Yay!!!!

1-0 Willock. Good work by Saka.

Post #502602  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:35 pm 

Yeah nice - and not a minute too soon !

:22encouragement:

Post #502603  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:48 pm 

The opposition have looked very dangerous and the scoreline doesn't reflect the game. They had a few golden chances to score. We did well to get a goal but to be fair, we had at least 2 or 3 great chances prior as well.

We will need a 2nd goal. I will be surprised if this ends up 1-0 to us. I can see a 1-1 match if we don't tighten things up or take advantage of counter attacks when they present themselves and they will. Frankfurt will come out attacking.

Happy for Willock. He almost scored earlier. For a team with so many youngsters, away to a decent German side, we are doing better than the team sheet would have indicated prior to the start.

Post #502604  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:48 pm 

Really like the look of young saka
Tricky and fast
Showed great composure to set willock up.
With the likes of saka Nelson and martinelli have youngsters with pace and trickery.
Smith Rowe looks lively as well.
Martinez made two great saves.
We definitely haven't played it out from the back as much today.
I hope that's a deliberate measure by emery

Post #502605  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:51 pm 

Decent first half. 0-1 up after missing some good chances. Mustafi has been fine so far, as has Chambers.

Post #502606  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:52 pm 

Much faster going forward and energy of team is high. Fewer play out from the back, and it's refreshing. The young lads show no fear.

Well taken goal. Saka with a very good assist. He is a livewire :53big-emoticons:

Post #502607  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:58 pm 

Strange half. Frankfurt look good, high tempo and getting lots of men in the box and lots of shots away, 14 in that half. Arsenal have looked a bit sloppy at times but have carved out maybe 3 of the best chances of the game and got the goal.
Given the fragile mentality of the team and playing so many youngsters it was vital we scored first and kept that lead in to half time

Post #502608  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:38 pm 

Saka! Well deserved.

Post #502609  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:39 pm 

:53big-emoticons:

Post #502610  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:39 pm 

What a player!! Well done lad!! :22encouragement:

Post #502611  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:41 pm 

Here comes the deluge. Time to stack those stats. :42laughter:

Post #502612  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:41 pm 

:53big-emoticons:

Post #502613  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:52 pm 

Cracking performance from Martinez. Took the heat out of things at the back plus some fine shots. Distribution very good indeed and none of those stupid inviting-pressure goal kicks inside the area. Back to basics.

We rode our luck a bit but there were some huge positives there.

Post #502614  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:52 pm 

If you didn’t know and you had to guess, you’d struggle to pick who the £72M winger was out of Saka and Pépé tonight. Happy for Saka, great overall performance, but waiting for Pépé to really show he’s going to be worth it. The comms going on about his electric pace when a 35 year old defender catches up with him. A shimmy here and there isn’t going to do it for me. Judgement is completely out and I hope he really settles well and is a great player for us, but right now I’m really not that sure.

Post #502615  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:54 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Cracking performance from Martinez. Took the heat out of things at the back plus some fine shots. Distribution very good indeed and none of those stupid inviting-pressure goal kicks inside the area. Back to basics.

We rode our luck a bit but there were some huge positives there.

Yeah imagine this performance with every goal kick a travelling circus of madness. Probably a different night. You could do without it. The thing is we do play out from the back, but not from the artificial static situation of a slooooow goal kick.

Post #502616  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:58 pm 

Thoroughly enjoyable game to watch. Please Emery, let this be the way we play in every game.

Xhaka played a very good captain's role today. He deserved the armband today.

Martinez collects the crosses well. And also distributes the ball faster.

We must give Saka more game time. He is a fighter and is my MOTM.

Post #502617  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:16 pm 

Cracking win in a hostile astmosphere.

Load of chances at both ends, could have been any score.

Martinez, Willock and Saka the stand-outs for me.

Post #502618  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:19 pm 

Just what was required. 3-0 in the toughest game in the group, with a heavily rotated team. Means Emery can go for much more rotation in the other games in the group.
Martinez was excellent in goal. Good saves and such assured handling, I was very impressed.
Saka with a goal and 2 assists, he was great all game, just the willingness to run at players and commit them made us so much more threatening. We may have spent £70m on Pépé to provide this counter attacking threat in away games and find ourself with a home grown player who can do just that.
Liked Willock’s performance again, seems to eat up the ground on some long ranging runs through midfield.

Lots of shots against but I can’t recall that many that really made me nervous. We missed a number of great chances as well.

Looking forward to seeing Nelson and Martinelli in some of the other Euro matches

Post #502619  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:36 pm 

Why isn't he playing Martinelli? He looked good preseason and this game was made for him.

Post #502620  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:48 pm 

Tierney and Bellerin die to play for the U23 tomorrow

Post #502621  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:11 pm 

Leno has turned himself into an exceptional keeper in my view and I think should stay as the first choice, at least for now. But Martinez looked bloody good and I’m so pleased Ospina has gone, meaning Martinez will be the cup keeper now Čech has retired.

Martinez, Zaka and Willock all enhanced their reputations. However, Smith Rowe didn’t take his chance tonight. I’ve expressed my doubts about him before. Sadly every time I watch him, I see nothing to make me change my mind. Well done to Mustafi as well. He had a good game.

Post #502622  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:22 pm 

I have always thought that Borussia Munchengladbach were a strong outfit. Tonight they are losing 3-0 at home to a team that I’ve never heard of.

Post #502623  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:24 pm 

Why did we switch from the suicidal goal kick routines?

Was it because of a different keeper, or would that have happened anyway?

Post #502624  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:20 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Why isn't he playing Martinelli? He looked good preseason and this game was made for him.

Thought the same thing myself, and keeping Aubameyang on for 90 minutes when he’s our most important player atm seems a little risky. I guessed balance wise we don’t have another striker with any minutes.

Post #502625  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:23 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Emery seems to think clearer in the Europa; but then the level is that much lower. I kept thinking gosh the Bundesliga must be weaker than I thought, they were so wide open and had a terrible night in front of goal. They somehow lost to that line up 3-0 at home. I think we have a reputation in europe we clearly don’t have domestically.

Post #502626  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:29 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Leno has turned himself into an exceptional keeper in my view and I think should stay as the first choice, at least for now. But Martinez looked bloody good and I’m so pleased Ospina has gone, meaning Martinez will be the cup keeper now Čech has retired.

Martinez, Zaka and Willock all enhanced their reputations. However, Smith Rowe didn’t take his chance tonight. I’ve expressed my doubts about him before. Sadly every time I watch him, I see nothing to make me change my mind. Well done to Mustafi as well. He had a good game.

I agree on all points. Apart from your misspelling of Saka. Took me a while to realise who you where talking about; my brain kept reading Zaha. I think Leno is great and certainly not a problem at all. Martinez played really well but they rarely really got hold of the shots on target.

Also sadly I have to agree about your assessment of Smith-Rowe. He looked weak on the ball and lost it a lot in our half trying to play out of trouble. I’d say he’s still got some time but he clearly needs it and needs to use it well, he looked better last year.

Post #502627  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:38 pm 

Ash wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I agree on all points. Apart from your misspelling of Saka. Took me a while to realise who you where talking about; my brain kept reading Zaha. I think Leno is great and certainly not a problem at all. Martinez played really well but they rarely really got hold of the shots on target.

Also sadly I have to agree about your assessment of Smith-Rowe. He looked weak on the ball and lost it a lot in our half trying to play out of trouble. I’d say he’s still got some time but he clearly needs it and needs to use it well, he looked better last year.

The same could be said of Saka. Lost a lot of challenges. Made up for it in perception and decision making and of course the goal.

Post #502628  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:02 am 

Emery out! :42laughter:

Post #502629  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:59 am 

long time gooner wrote:

:laughing7:

Im praying it's the latter and the outcome provides all the encouragement necessary to continue mixing it up.

Post #502630  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:20 am 

long time gooner wrote:

It was interesting to see where the ball ended up from the longer kicks. I noticed on plenty of occasions the big kick was headed back by their defence and we picked up the second ball somewhere near the half way line. Surely emery can see the risk/reward of this vs what we did against Watford.
We don’t need to play it long every time, but the we’re not taking the advantages that a short goal kick offers, short goal kicks need to be taken quickly not letting the opposition spend 30 seconds getting perfectly set up in their pressing formation. That’s too easy for the opponents to know exactly what they have to do.

Post #502631  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:15 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Ash wrote:

The same could be said of Saka. Lost a lot of challenges. Made up for it in perception and decision making and of course the goal.

Perhaps but that’s a lot of upside and I thought otherwise he was mostly neat and tidy. For the assist for Nelson he received the ball on the turn played the pass that was on and Nelson did really well. Emile I thought generally struggled. I like Smith-Rowe and thought he looked good when he got those few goals for us, where Bernard was a bit more circumspect, but now I can’t really disagree on that performance. It’s his first competitive game after a long time out so you could absolutely give him that.

Post #502632  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:44 am 

Rich wrote:
Martinez was excellent in goal. Good saves and such assured handling, I was very impressed.

As was I. Was he being in goals responsible for more variety in kick outs or was Emery?

Post #502633  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:45 am 

Ash wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Perhaps but that’s a lot of upside and I thought otherwise he was mostly neat and tidy. For the assist for Nelson he received the ball on the turn played the pass that was on and Nelson did really well. Emile I thought generally struggled. I like Smith-Rowe and thought he looked good when he got those few goals for us, where Bernard was a bit more circumspect, but now I can’t really disagree on that performance. It’s his first competitive game after a long time out so you could absolutely give him that.

Also, is wide right Smith-Rowe's best position. From when I've seen him he's been more central or coming in on to his right foot from a wide left starting position. Emery said after the game about his long injury last year and he will need more time. Too early to write him off, the german teams are certainly keen on him.
There is very little chance that all of AMN, Nelson, Willock, Nkeitiah, Saka, Emile Smith Rowe properly 'make it' with Arsenal - but giving them this exposure will improve them and improve and improve their fee

Post #502634  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:09 am 

Bernard wrote:

Morning Bern,

I'm not sure he quite at the exceptional level just yet, he's an exceptional shot stopper with great reflexes but his one achilles heel is his inability to deal well with crosses and corners. Still a bit too much of a flapper in those situations.

Post #502635  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:48 am 

Came across this in Western Fjords of Iceland last week.

Attachment:

Post #502636  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:51 am 

socrates wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Morning Bern,

I'm not sure he quite at the exceptional level just yet, he's an exceptional shot stopper with great reflexes but his one achilles heel is his inability to deal well with crosses and corners. Still a bit too much of a flapper in those situations.

I think any problems Leno has with crosses is often exaggerated. Think of Ospina. Leno is a mix between Pat Jennings and Manuel Neuer at their respective peaks on crosses compared to him. Great shot stopper, fine distribution and more than adequate when the ball is in the air in the box is how I see Leno. Yep, I’m happy to call him exceptional.

Post #502637  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:55 am 

What impressed me most about Saka last night, was that I actually thought he struggled a bit in the first half. He was involved a lot, but nothing he tried seemed to come off right, and he looked a bit nervous. That made his second half contribution even more impressive in my book. It's easy for a young player to start hiding when things aren't going well, but he just kept at it and in the end he was the one who made the difference. Extremely impressive considering he turned 18 just two weeks ago.

Post #502638  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:25 am 

Hazuki wrote:
What impressed me most about Saka last night, was that I actually thought he struggled a bit in the first half. He was involved a lot, but nothing he tried seemed to come off right, and he looked a bit nervous. That made his second half contribution even more impressive in my book. It's easy for a young player to start hiding when things aren't going well, but he just kept at it and in the end he was the one who made the difference. Extremely impressive considering he turned 18 just two weeks ago.

I think that is a good summary.

Post #502639  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:33 am 

Martinez was solid between the sticks. He made the saves you expect of a good keeper. No mistakes, kept it tight. He raised his own stock with that performance.

Post #502640  Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:35 am 

socrates wrote:
Cracking win in a hostile astmosphere.

Load of chances at both ends, could have been any score.

Martinez, Willock and Saka the stand-outs for me.

Soc, has one of the most discerning, critical eye (and its NOT meant as criticism) regarding The Arsenal so when he is that impressed, it says something.

[ 571641 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12563, 12564, 12565, 12566, 12567, 12568, 12569 ... 14292  Next