Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 94 guests

Post #502281  Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:41 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Interesting interview with Per Mertesacker in the Guardian. Leaves me with the firm impression that if the scouts spot the right young talent and they join, he is the right person to positively shape their characters. Apart from anything else, in ensuring they have some humility. A lack of which can only do a youngster harm in my view.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... of-academy

I always liked Per, a humble man

Post #502282  Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:03 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:
In other news... Rob Holding has been declared got to play again. Bernard can trumpet his view that He is clearly over rated by some and something Mustafi something something.

No mention of DHD, who has said similar, and before me? I’m pleased he’s fit again, despite him being overrated by some.

As I recall, there seemed to be a view that Holding would solve our defensive problems when he returned. I said that I didn't think Holding had shown enough in his relatively few appearances for us to be cast in the role of our 'saviour'.

I'm pleased he's fit but I'm just not convinced he's as quite as good as some people think. I hope he proves me wrong.

Post #502283  Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:15 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:
No mention of DHD, who has said similar, and before me? I’m pleased he’s fit again, despite him being overrated by some.

As I recall, there seemed to be a view that Holding would solve our defensive problems when he returned. I said that I didn't think Holding had shown enough in his relatively few appearances for us to be cast in the role of our 'saviour'.

I'm pleased he's fit but I'm just not convinced he's as quite as good as some people think. I hope he proves me wrong.

I feel exactly the same way about Holding. As I mentioned earlier, I’m also delighted he’s fit. But as you imply, based on his performances so far he’s not as good as some make out.

Post #502284  Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:51 pm 

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Indeed. I expressed the same reservations. Holding is a promising young defender. No more. He certainly hasn't looked like an outstanding talent. Let's hope he comes back in good shape and take his game up a few levels.

Post #502285  Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:00 pm 

Niall wrote:
dec wrote:

A unity vote in Ireland would have to include the south too and might not get a huge amount of support. Culturally it makes sense but the economy in Northern Ireland is a challenge and a half. Lots of people down here are happy with the post Good Friday Agreement situation. Of course, it's not great for you guys when your two main parties are so extreme.

Hey Dec, yeah, a vote would be held in both parts of the island as per the GFA. Recent polling in the south had a healthy number in favour of unity. Yesterday, Lord Ashcroft published a poll with 51% in favour of unity in the north. I have never seen unity in the lead before.

There's a growing movement amongst civic nationalists to begin the political push for unity as the task for the next generation. Finally end the partition of our island. Check out the Think32 page on twitter.

I doubt most people in the south are aware of the anger amongst the nationalist population regarding the unionists/DUP/British government's approach to Brexit - alongside DUP scandals and continuing begrudgery towards the Irish identity in the north. Many are disillusioned with Stormont. It's had its day and in current circumstances I'd be content with it never returning.

Hi Niall. A resurgent SDLP would be a far more palatable development in the eyes of most in the south. When it comes to the DUP, I think most people down here who have a real interest in Northern Ireland just think they are bunch of nut jobs. They display a degree of blind stubbornness that is from a different generation.

I think you are dead right on Stormont. It has been suspended for so long that it has become almost irrelevant. They way the two sides couldn't agree on the most minor matters was embarrassing.

Post #502286  Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:06 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:
In other news... Rob Holding has been declared got to play again. Bernard can trumpet his view that He is clearly over rated by some and something Mustafi something something.

My apologies Bernard I’d missed DHD’s comments on Holding, I guess he could make it more memorable by throwing in a Mustafi mention. Not to critique others posts too much.

As a serious point I’m not sure anybody cast Holding as any sort of saviour, I think they simply placed him ahead of Mustafi in their estimation.

Post #502287  Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:32 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Just caught something on Al Jazeera on the antivaxers ... coming round to your view.

For example, one of their arguments is that their great-grandparent didn't have vaccines and they survived. QED. :laughing7: :laughing7: :8angers:

:laughing7:

My grandmother survived the blitz, therefore I have no problems with the Germans bombing the British mainland. Happy Christmas folks

The increase in life expectancy to over 80 in countries like the UK is a completely unrelated issue ... if it isn't fake new that is.

Like Spurs winning the league in 1961. That NEVER happened. That's why we so seldom see images of it. And the images we do see were obviously done in a studio.

Post #502288  Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:44 pm 

Arsenal posted a video of Tierney and Bellerin making some extremely robust challenges in training. Bellerin seems to have taken Tierney under his wing. Wonder if it will be long till we see them together.

*please note this may not have happened so Believe what you want......

Post #502289  Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:07 pm 

Ash wrote:
As a serious point I’m not sure anybody cast Holding as any sort of saviour, I think they simply placed him ahead of Mustafi in their estimation.

Come off it. He has been more than simply placed ahead of Mustafi. Jesus wept, we’ve even got someone here that reckons we could find better than Mustafi in the Conference, the fifth tier. I’ve not heard anyone suggest we could find better than Holding in the fourth tier, which of course we couldn’t. But nor could we find better than Mustafi in the Conference but someone still argues that.

Post #502290  Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:19 pm 

Ceballos being very positive about his start at the club.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... -1.4016329

Some great stories floating around about things being positive at the club. Lets hope it continues.

Post #502291  Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:32 pm 

Was looking at a streaming site and happened by a British show some of you probably heard of called "The Capture" and episode 1, there is a court scene and one of the witnesses for the defense is a video expert and when asked when one of his career highlights said "The 1991 FA Cup Final, Tottenham vs Nottingham Forest" and was asked "Tottenham fan, are we?" :1laughter:

Post #502292  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:08 am 

Sorry Mustafi, I would pick Holding ahead of you.

Post #502293  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:45 am 

Bernard wrote:
Ash wrote:

Bernard, do you think people are overrating him in the sense that they are just jumping to conclusions prematurely about him and that we should wait and see, or do you actually not rate him?

Post #502294  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:58 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Was looking at a streaming site and happened by a British show some of you probably heard of called "The Capture" and episode 1, there is a court scene and one of the witnesses for the defense is a video expert and when asked when one of his career highlights said "The 1991 FA Cup Final, Tottenham vs Nottingham Forest" and was asked "Tottenham fan, are we?" :1laughter:

Hilarious

Post #502295  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:32 am 

Bernard wrote:
Interesting interview with Per Mertesacker in the Guardian. Leaves me with the firm impression that if the scouts spot the right young talent and they join, he is the right person to positively shape their characters. Apart from anything else, in ensuring they have some humility. A lack of which can only do a youngster harm in my view.

He’s been a brilliant appointment Bern
Always available to help, and attends EVERY academy signing.
Is very keen to ensure that player development includes development as a person as well as a player.
The atmosphere around Hale End is amazing at present, a vast improvement from before. He is promoting a much more cohesive approach, with everyone’s contribution properly valued.
I hope he is in charge for a long time.

Post #502296  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:43 am 

Attachment:
File comment: Very proud moment.....well done Joe

Post #502297  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:44 am 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard, do you think people are overrating him in the sense that they are just jumping to conclusions prematurely about him and that we should wait and see, or do you actually not rate him?

Most definitely the first of the two possibilities you mention. To be honest I wonder if some people might support him simply because he isn’t Mustafi. Apologies to him if I’m wrong but Ash gave me that impression yesterday.

Post #502298  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:47 am 

HoddGooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Is very keen to ensure that player development includes development as a person as well as a player.
The atmosphere around Hale End is amazing at present, a vast improvement from before. He is promoting a much more cohesive approach, with everyone’s contribution properly valued.

Thanks for that Hodd. Great news.

Post #502299  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:57 am 

HoddGooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

That is really great to hear.

Post #502300  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:06 am 

As for the Holding debate: I think at the moment he would be selected ahead of Mustafi, who IMO has lost all confidence.

But after an injury will Holding make it. It will be after 20 games we will know if he could develop into what we want. Other managers start looking at tapes for his weaknesses and he can’t respond then we will know. Chambers looked like a world beater when he started & he is well behind Mustafi at present. Luiz has done nothing to suggest he is better than Mustafi at present so I think the whole backline presently playing look suspect. I hope Holding is the next great central defender but much too early to call at this time.

Post #502301  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:42 am 

Holding is better than Mustafi and Mertesacker.

Cheers

Post #502302  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Cheers

In order to retain credibility, hopefully you’ve still got time to edit your post and delete the bit where you say Holding is better than Mertesacker.

Post #502303  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:10 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Cheers

In order to retain credibility, hopefully you’ve still got time to edit your post and delete the bit where you say Holding is better than Mertesacker.

He is

Although I think if they played together more they would have been a decent pair. Read Pers comments about holding in his book.

I think I may have been too harsh on Mertesacker back in the day who was decent but didn’t have the right players next to him.

Holding, Tierney and Bellerin back this month. That’s huge

Post #502304  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:52 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
He is

Although I think if they played together more they would have been a decent pair. Read Pers comments about holding in his book.

I think I may have been too harsh on Mertesacker back in the day who was decent but didn’t have the right players next to him.

Holding, Tierney and Bellerin back this month. That’s huge

I just don’t see how you can say that at this point of Holding’s career. Hopefully he’ll realise whatever potential he has. But to claim he’s already better than Mertesacker was is in my view nothing short of barmy.

Post #502305  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:16 pm 

Bernard wrote:
But to claim he’s already better than Mertesacker was is in my view nothing short of barmy.

Germany’s first choice centre half for ten years. World Cup winner.

I shall be highly delighted if Holding gets to anywhere near that level.

Post #502306  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:40 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:
But to claim he’s already better than Mertesacker was is in my view nothing short of barmy.

If Keane is getting games for England won’t be long till a call up beckons

Post #502307  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:45 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

Cheers

A bit early for the liquor no?

Post #502308  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:23 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

If Keane is getting games for England won’t be long till a call up beckons

So, very early days in his fledgling career then. Watch this space with fingers crossed.

Post #502309  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:56 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Cheers

A bit early for the liquor no?

Are you saying Mustafi is better. :laughing7:

Post #502310  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:59 pm 

Lacazette being reported as out with an ankle injury until October.

Post #502311  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:54 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Hopefully early October. Was he injured playing for France?

Post #502312  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:57 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Apparently not.

This has now appeared on the Arsenal website

Alex Lacazette
Left ankle. After assessments to an ongoing ankle issue, we have advised that Alex will need to rest and strengthen his ankle to regain full fitness. Alex has been playing through this injury for several weeks. He is likely to be back in action in October.

Post #502313  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:28 pm 

Bernard wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:

Per feels like a proper Arsenal man. Gets it, gets what the club is about. That is really important. You sensed he took his responsibilities seriously as a captain and he seems to have taken that even further with his new role.

Post #502314  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:00 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Apparently not.

This has now appeared on the Arsenal website

Alex Lacazette
Left ankle. After assessments to an ongoing ankle issue, we have advised that Alex will need to rest and strengthen his ankle to regain full fitness. Alex has been playing through this injury for several weeks. He is likely to be back in action in October.

Thanks for that LTG.

Darren, I reckon you’re right in your last post.

Post #502315  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:00 pm 

Darren wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Per feels like a proper Arsenal man. Gets it, gets what the club is about. That is really important. You sensed he took his responsibilities seriously as a captain and he seems to have taken that even further with his new role.
A true professional and champ.

Post #502316  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:02 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
2019? :(

Post #502317  Posted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:08 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Most definitely the first of the two possibilities you mention. To be honest I wonder if some people might support him simply because he isn’t Mustafi. Apologies to him if I’m wrong but Ash gave me that impression yesterday.
Thanks for clarifying. I am quite excited by our squad. and the general feeling of progress.

Post #502318  Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:37 am 

Out for a walk this morning and down in a creek gully I saw a feral cat playing around . Went down to investigate & the cat run off. Took a quick backwards step when I made out the snake which was hard to see. Have a look at this photo and you can see how hard it is to often see them. Thought it was probably just a yellow belly but sometimes , after hibernation even some of the more dangerous snakes can have a yellow colour. leave them alone is always the best policy unless you have a shovel handy.
Attachment:

Post #502319  Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:56 am 

Bernard wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:

Morning Bern,

It is great news. You might be surprised to know that despite my reservations about Mert as a player I have always really liked him as a person, at least from the interviews I have seen him give, both as a player and coach.

I hope that he does really well in his new position.

Post #502320  Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:57 am 

Darren wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Morning Darren,

Yep, he has that aura about him.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12555, 12556, 12557, 12558, 12559, 12560, 12561 ... 14269  Next