Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 94 guests

Post #502161  Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:10 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No I think using him as sub was for a farewell type goodbye performance and that he didn’t trust Özil.

That is not plausible. Emery clearly thinks he is decent option.

He’s In Rome right now waving a Roma scarf over his head :laughing7:

How attached to him think Emery was :laughing7:

Post #502162  Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:25 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
I think it would be over-realistic to expect any more. Maybe...maybe a win at home to Tottenham but given that they have been better than us for the past few years, even that would be asking a bit too much.

Don't think winning against Tottenham at home is asking too much. Usually not much between the teams in those fixtures, with a slight advamtage to the home side. But yeah, overall not a bad haul initially. Still have all our rivals for third and fourth place behind us.

To be fair, he did say it would be over-realistic to expect any more. :laughing7:

Post #502163  Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:35 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Decaf wrote:
That is not plausible. Emery clearly thinks he is decent option.

He’s In Rome right now waving a Roma scarf over his head :laughing7:

How attached to him think Emery was :laughing7:

Are you holding to your silly view that Emery just threw him on for old times sake ... despite the game being in the balance?

Even that isn't as silly as your point about there only being 15 minutes left in the games ... as if nothing ever happens after the 75th minute.

Its good that you support Emery to the hilt. But sometimes it impairs your reason!

Post #502164  Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:43 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Emery and Raul are cleaning away all the Wenger & Gazidis excrement left and it feels oh so sweet. Yes !

Ditto that feeling ! :26encouragement: :5encouragement: :blob9: :toothy9: :6encouragement:

Post #502165  Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:45 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No he feels mhikitaryan is slightly less attacking than Nelson and that’s more preferable at that point in the game. That’s all. It was a strange sub though as I would have chose Willock

Mhikitaryan is a very good player. He's played at Dortmund, manure and now us. If he was that bad he would not have been at those clubs. He was brought on because he's a better and more experienced player than Nelson or Willock and in a NLD that is finely balanced he was the better option.

No doubt he was more "big-game ready" than the 2 youngsters. But, his commitment to the cause was not strong enough. Nelson or Willock would have busted their guts to win the balls. The energy of the team was very high, and Mkhitaryan reduced it when he came on.

Post #502166  Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:37 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Kolasinac, Özil, mhikitaryan, Mustafi and Xhaka have to go. They are passengers in this squad and this morning there’s rumours of mhikitaryan going to Roma on loan despite us not having a replacement such as our desperation to rid ourselves

I hate saying this but that is the dumbest post I have seen for a while.

I take it you haven't read any of his other posts then? :laughing7:

I'm joking TG.

Post #502167  Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:46 pm 

I am a little surprised we are letting Mika go on loan after selling Iwobi. I would have understood an outright sale as there are probably a limited number of potential buyers out there give his age and salary and if someone came in with a half-decent offer it might just be too good an opportunity to turn down.

I can only assume Emery is quite happy with Nelson, Martinelli and Saka as back-ups because an injury to any of the front three and one of those three will likely be involved. That's quite a brave call given their age and limited experience.

Maybe he has a January signing lined up.

Post #502168  Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:27 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

I hate saying this but that is the dumbest post I have seen for a while.

Is it? Seems I ain’t alone

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... its-xhaka/

You listed 5 experienced international players and think we can be shot of them without affecting our squad depth? We have Carabao Cup, Europa on top of the usual and we will need experience.

Post #502169  Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:49 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

You listed 5 experienced international players and think we can be shot of them without affecting our squad depth? We have Carabao Cup, Europa on top of the usual and we will need experience.

*%^@ the Europa and carabao cup.

They diverted our attention and resources away from the league last year.

Post #502170  Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

I'm inclined to agree. I wouldn’t have if that last season or the one beforehand as top four seemed a little beyond us so happy for us to take the gamble. But I think we have a good chance for third let alone fourth. League has to be priority 1 2 and 3.

Post #502171  Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:39 pm 

Ash wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I'm inclined to agree. I wouldn’t have if that last season or the one beforehand as top four seemed a little beyond us so happy for us to take the gamble. But I think we have a good chance for third let alone fourth. League has to be priority 1 2 and 3.
Early days yes, but one point from a possible six against our fellow top fourers so far should perhaps cautions us about our league chances?

Never give up on the cups - since there have been 4 to play for (I don't count Charity/Community Shield or Super Cup) they make up 14 trophies against 6 league titles. We have been more of a cup team than anything else since the 1970s. Cups are fun.

Post #502172  Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:35 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Ash wrote:
Early days yes, but one point from a possible six against our fellow top fourers so far should perhaps cautions us about our league chances?

Never give up on the cups - since there have been 4 to play for (I don't count Charity/Community Shield or Super Cup) they make up 14 trophies against 6 league titles. We have been more of a cup team than anything else since the 1970s. Cups are fun.

I doubt anyone really expects us to win the domestic league. I suspect Ash, and Top Gun before him, were more likely to be wanting to write the cups off to save players for getting in to the Champions League via third or fourth place in the Premier League. I can understand their point, but I think third or fourth should be gettable while trying to win the cups.

Maybe not playing the established first choice team (not that there is one yet) in the earlier rounds against weaker teams. But by playing the likes of Chambers, Mustafi, Nelson, Willock, Saka and others who may hopefully comprise a team good enough to beat any weaker sides we play. Then in the latter stages of the cups, put stronger teams out when we play good sides.

Because I also see OMOH’s point that we shouldn’t forget or just give up on attempting to win cups.

Post #502173  Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:37 am 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

I doubt anyone really expects us to win the domestic league. I suspect Ash, and Top Gun before him, were more likely to be wanting to write the cups off to save players for getting in to the Champions League via third or fourth place in the Premier League. I can understand their point, but I think third or fourth should be gettable while trying to win the cups.

Maybe not playing the established first choice team (not that there is one yet) in the earlier rounds against weaker teams. But by playing the likes of Chambers, Mustafi, Nelson, Willock, Saka and others who may hopefully comprise a team good enough to beat any weaker sides we play. Then in the latter stages of the cups, put stronger teams out when we play good sides.

Because I also see OMOH’s point that we shouldn’t forget or just give up on attempting to win cups.

Bernard I agree with you and OMOH about the value of cups. Would take the League Cup and top 4 finish as a very good season. On the other hand no cups and failure to qualify for CL and the season would be a disaster.

Post #502174  Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:30 am 

Domestically, we have been a cup team with the number of FA cups as evidence. We haven't won the league cup since I started watching so I'd like to have that experience but not at the risk of the FA, Europa or CL cups. I'd take the latter 3 every day of the week instead of a league cup trophy.

Post #502175  Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:18 am 

Amazing turnover of first team players this year. Arsenal have shipped out 11 players who were considered part of the first team squad last season. We've bought in 6 (7 with Saliba) and promoted Willock and Nelson.

For context Chelsea shipped out 5, Liverpool 2, City 3, Man U 5, Spurs 5

In the previous 2 windows we've moved on 14 first team players. So that is 25 players in 3 seasons. It is an entire first team squad.

Post #502176  Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:25 am 

Rich wrote:
Amazing turnover of first team players this year. Arsenal have shipped out 11 players who were considered part of the first team squad last season. We've bought in 6 (7 with Saliba) and promoted Willock and Nelson.

In the previous 2 windows we've moved on 14 first team players. So that is 25 players in 3 seasons. It is an entire first team squad.

Tells you exactly how much quality emery inherited after wengers legacy

Rapid change was required

The latest rumours are suggesting that we are cleaning the decks comprehensively to fund moves for Upmanecano and Everton in January or the summer.

Post #502177  Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:47 am 

Rich wrote:

Now that the window is closed, it's hard to say it was anything than a resounding success for Arsenal on paper.

On the plus side we've strengthened several problem areas in the team with what looks like quality players; new starting eleven left back, central midfielder and right winger. We've added a couple of interesting players for the future in Martinelli and Saliba, with the latter being an exciting option for our future defense. We've cleared out a lot of players who didn't have much of a future here, making sure there's plenty of space for future signings.

A big negative is that we didn't improve our central defense enough, with Luiz coming in and Saliba being one for the future. Had we gotten someone like Upamecano it would've been hard not to give the window a 10/10, now it's an 8 or 9 for me. However, with how poor we looked last season, and considering how much there was to do with the squad going into the summer, it wasn't reasonable to expect us to solve every issue in one transfer window. Hope we go back in for a centre back in January.

The most enjoyable thing in my opinion is that there's finally a sense of direction at the club. That's something we've been missing for a few years now.

Post #502178  Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:52 am 

Haven't posted much since the end of last season but I was very pleased with the transfer window period and for the first time in several years I feel excited about the season and interested to see how it pans out. I found out about Pépé in the airport heading off on holiday and that was a fantastic start and a hell of a surprise!! Not that I fancy us to challenge for the title, but looking at the squads at the minute, Arsenal and Tottenham seem to be around a similar level with perhaps Tottenham's better defense giving them a slight edge at the moment. However, the gap looks like it has been closed. I think we can definitely aim for a top 4 spot and another tilt at the Europa league which I think would be a fantastic trophy to add to the cabinet. The second half display against Tottenham seemed to show a bit of hunger in the side and desire to do well and hopefully we can carry that into every game going forward.

A clearout was long overdue and I can't argue with the quality of any of the players we ended up bringing in. Luiz was a strange one and his performance against Liverpool wasn't great, though I thought he took unfair flak for the 3rd goal given Monreal's position well ahead of play when the ball was initially played through. With Bellerin, Tierney and Holding to come into the fold our current back four may not be the one that finishes the season and again it will be interesting to see how we perform with a full squad.

I'm pleased to see Mikhitaryan depart. I don't think in any way can his time at Arsenal be labelled a success and with the wages he is on it's far better to offload him and give some hungry youngsters an opportunity instead.

Post #502179  Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:56 am 

Niall wrote:
I'm pleased to see Mikhitaryan depart. I don't think in any way can his time at Arsenal be labelled a success and with the wages he is on it's far better to offload him and give some hungry youngsters an opportunity instead.

Weird thing is we still got the better deal. I thought Mkhitaryan was decent to good during his time here, but never really looked like more than a squad player. Sanchez was just a monumental flop at United. Considering the pedigree of the players, the wages they were on etc that transfer was just such a disaster.

Post #502180  Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:00 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Niall wrote:

Weird thing is we still got the better deal. I thought Mkhitaryan was decent to good during his time here, but never really looked like more than a squad player. Sanchez was just a monumental flop at United. Considering the pedigree of the players, the wages they were on etc that transfer was just such a disaster.

Aye, Sanchez's time at Utd was hilarious. No one could have for-seen that happening. Mkhitaryan had the odd good moment but really nothing much lives in the memory. Thinking about it now, his goal in the San Siro last season was probably the best moment, but in recent performances he looked like a player who had lost his way.

Post #502181  Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:56 am 

Niall wrote:
Haven't posted much since the end of last season

Yeah - We were wondering where you went ;-)

Post #502182  Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:47 pm 

Rich wrote:

Good window for us. Now time for Emery to work his magic!

Post #502183  Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:49 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

Now that the window is closed, it's hard to say it was anything than a resounding success for Arsenal on paper.

On the plus side we've strengthened several problem areas in the team with what looks like quality players; new starting eleven left back, central midfielder and right winger. We've added a couple of interesting players for the future in Martinelli and Saliba, with the latter being an exciting option for our future defense. We've cleared out a lot of players who didn't have much of a future here, making sure there's plenty of space for future signings.

A big negative is that we didn't improve our central defense enough, with Luiz coming in and Saliba being one for the future. Had we gotten someone like Upamecano it would've been hard not to give the window a 10/10, now it's an 8 or 9 for me. However, with how poor we looked last season, and considering how much there was to do with the squad going into the summer, it wasn't reasonable to expect us to solve every issue in one transfer window. Hope we go back in for a centre back in January.

The most enjoyable thing in my opinion is that there's finally a sense of direction at the club. That's something we've been missing for a few years now.

Agree completely regards your point about "a sense of direction" :58big-emoticons:

Post #502184  Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:52 pm 

Niall wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Aye, Sanchez's time at Utd was hilarious. No one could have for-seen that happening. Mkhitaryan had the odd good moment but really nothing much lives in the memory. Thinking about it now, his goal in the San Siro last season was probably the best moment, but in recent performances he looked like a player who had lost his way.

IMO, Mkhitaryan was a disinterested player since latter part of last season.

Post #502185  Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:59 pm 

The only thing that kept me from hating Mikhitaryan too much was Sanchez's failure at Man Yoo.

PS: good see you in here Niall.

Post #502186  Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:05 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Agree completely regards your point about "a sense of direction" :58big-emoticons:

Seems like Sanllehi is the man to be credited with the wheeling and dealing that's been going on at the club. Let's hope he'd the new David Dein of Wenger's Highbury era. Or even better.

Fix the defence in the next couple of transfer windows and we could start dreaming of challenging for the title seriously again.

Post #502187  Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:26 pm 

I wonder if we’ll go for Ryan Fraser next summer, he’d be on a free transfer, we don’t have a natural left winger in the squad.

I’d love to see us be active in January for a CB. If Cellabos performs well we may try to buy him outright which would take a chunk of the budget

Post #502188  Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:29 am 

i was a big fan of Michael Owen when we noticed him in the states in the '98 World Cup. Even when he would kills us with goals, I had a soft spot for him UNTIL his retirement and how much he is such a 'azz' and I hadn't realized his deep hatred of us. Which surprised me as a Liverpool player, I'd have thought Man Utd or Everton (but moving to Man Utd ruled out that hatred I suppose).

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49564379

Michael Owen & Alan Shearer: New book sparks Twitter row

Post #502189  Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:50 am 

Goonie wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Seems like Sanllehi is the man to be credited with the wheeling and dealing that's been going on at the club. Let's hope he'd the new David Dein of Wenger's Highbury era. Or even better.

Fix the defence in the next couple of transfer windows and we could start dreaming of challenging for the title seriously again.

We need to fix the defence in the Jan window. I don't think the fans have the patience of 2 windows :42laughter:
You are one of the most impartial and patient fan on this forum :58big-emoticons:

Post #502190  Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:31 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Goonie wrote:

We need to fix the defence in the Jan window. I don't think the fans have the patience of 2 windows :42laughter:
You are one of the most impartial and patient fan on this forum :58big-emoticons:

I hope you are wrong ... because patience is indicated, even if we don't make the top four this season. We need to give Emery at least until January 2021.

Post #502191  Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:09 am 

I remember being a fan and Arsenal fans were known as sensible fans. A club run right. They had a good reputation as a club and fans. Chelsea, West Ham, Tottenham and other fans in London had big firms, Arsenal fans were known (at least to me) as too urbane and cultured for all that nonsense.

Now? I definitely see why Gary Neville were critical of us as as fans as well as others. Not sure its a generational thing or what, but we are not doing reputation as fans any good these days.

https://readarsenal.com/2019/09/03/arse ... ouncement/

https://www.football365.com/news/merson ... ing-things

Post #502192  Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:32 am 

Honestly don't understand how Paul Merson is still employed. Very likeable guy and was a great player for Arsenal but he has absolutely zero ability to analyze a football match.

Post #502193  Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:11 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Honestly don't understand how Paul Merson is still employed. Very likeable guy and was a great player for Arsenal but he has absolutely zero ability to analyze a football match.

I saw Merson saying Arsenal had missed a trick by not signing Delph this summer because he’s better than any Arsenal midfielder....

Post #502194  Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:15 am 

Big game after the international break. Watford away, we struggled there last year even playing 10 men. Watford are the type of midtable team we’ve routinely been losing to away from home. If we want to convince people we can make top 4 then we need to win this.
Then it’s villa at home and Man U away. I’d want 7 points from those 3.

After that we have a tremendous run of 9 games where only Leicester away would be a game we weren’t very heavy favourites for

Post #502195  Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:31 am 

Rich wrote:
After that we have a tremendous run of 9 games where only Leicester away would be a game we weren’t very heavy favourites for

If we get those 7 points from the next three fixtures we've set ourselves up to make a big statement for a top three finish. During that 9 game run Tottenham has to go to Anfield and Old Trafford, and United go up against Tottenham, Liverpool and Manchester City. Chelsea have a decent run as well, but I think they're a lot more likely to cock up "easy" fixtures than we are.

Post #502196  Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:37 am 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

I saw Merson saying Arsenal had missed a trick by not signing Delph this summer because he’s better than any Arsenal midfielder....

I met Paul Merson at a gig I played at a few years back. He was shitfaced, cocky and a bit of a prick. Kind of broke my heart a bit.

Post #502197  Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:05 am 

Hazuki wrote:

Merson is Sky's resident village idiot. He's there for Stelling, Le Tiss, Thompson and Charlie to take the piss out of on a Saturday.

Post #502198  Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:58 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Very likeable guy and was a great player for Arsenal but he has absolutely zero ability to analyze a football match.

Maybe he should be posting on here then ?

Post #502199  Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:26 pm 

warrior wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Very likeable guy and was a great player for Arsenal but he has absolutely zero ability to analyze a football match.

Maybe he should be posting on here then ?

Haz said he was likeable though..

Post #502200  Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:27 pm 

Rich wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Saw that too. It's the absurd over-rating of English players. Sky had the dream team of Tim Sherwood and Andy Townsend last night. Jesus wept. Kane's dive at the end of the NLD was a definite penalty apparently. :20hospitals:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12552, 12553, 12554, 12555, 12556, 12557, 12558 ... 14269  Next