Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 119 guests

Post #501961  Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:36 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Decaf wrote:
I'm surprised you think the EU rather than your own politicians (and by extension those who vote them into power) is to blame for these things.
I haven't blamed the EU at all. I have simply said it has in almost half a century made minimal positive impact on the key issues facing ordinary people in our country. You could say that in that respect it has been irrelevant to us, except for the huge resources that have been diverted from the UK supporting the EU policies. Of course our own politicians bear the ultimate responsibility for domestic matters, but if the membership of the EU can't make a big difference in solving our major issues, then why not try something else? If we Brexit we are not leaving paradise.

The achievements of the broader European project have been immense. 70 years of peace and prosperity. What's good for Europe is good for Britain.

Post #501962  Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:38 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Would it have been an 'advisory' vote if the result had gone the other way - no it wouldn't. Politicians both in the EU and here in Britain have been doing their best to stop Brexit from happening - it was supposed to happen in April (or was it March - I lose track). This is why 'no deal' is now a possibility. The electorate were pretty clear on what they were voting on - do you want to remain in the EU or leave it. The vote should be honoured and our politicians (public servants, remember) should be doing all in their power to help the country move forward in a positive manner.
I agree. If we are not careful the failure of Parliament to implement the result of something it asked the people to vote on will weaken Parliament itself.

Come again?

Post #501963  Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:38 pm 

DHD wrote:
But all the stuff you’re quoting there is the prerogative of national governments. The EU has never intruded beyond setting some entirely reasonable and pan-European agreed standards that establish baseline human requirements for an acceptable standard of living. It’s the UK government’s responsibility to provide for its people in the areas you mention. The fact that that hasn’t happened is the responsibility of successive administrations, not Europe.
Yes I agree where the ultimate domestic responsibility lies, but you make my point for me. EU membership is not about helping us solve our real social needs, but it may impact socially and economically on our ability to do so. I think it is widely accepted that overall we are a net contributor rather than beneficiaries of the market and its freedom of movement, and that has had an impact on our finances. In time we can probably do better outside the EU.

Post #501964  Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:39 pm 

Decaf wrote:
DHD wrote:
But all the stuff you’re quoting there is the prerogative of national governments. The EU has never intruded beyond setting some entirely reasonable and pan-European agreed standards that establish baseline human requirements for an acceptable standard of living.

It’s the UK government’s responsibility to provide for its people in the areas you mention. The fact that that hasn’t happened is the responsibility of successive administrations, not Europe.

Indeed! The EU didn't elect Thatcher or Blair. We are seeing this terrible scapegoatism in South Africa too. Everything from crime to unemployment is blamed on 'undocumented immigrants'.

Who are these men of lust, greed, and glory?
Rip off the masks and let see
But that's no right oh no, what's the story?
But there's you and there's me
Show me the goat I have scaped!

Post #501965  Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:41 pm 

Decaf wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
I haven't blamed the EU at all. I have simply said it has in almost half a century made minimal positive impact on the key issues facing ordinary people in our country. You could say that in that respect it has been irrelevant to us, except for the huge resources that have been diverted from the UK supporting the EU policies. Of course our own politicians bear the ultimate responsibility for domestic matters, but if the membership of the EU can't make a big difference in solving our major issues, then why not try something else? If we Brexit we are not leaving paradise.

The achievements of the broader European project have been immense. 70 years of peace and prosperity. What's good for Europe is good for Britain.

Yes I like apples too, but I was talking about oranges!

Post #501966  Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:41 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
DHD wrote:
But all the stuff you’re quoting there is the prerogative of national governments. The EU has never intruded beyond setting some entirely reasonable and pan-European agreed standards that establish baseline human requirements for an acceptable standard of living. It’s the UK government’s responsibility to provide for its people in the areas you mention. The fact that that hasn’t happened is the responsibility of successive administrations, not Europe.
Yes I agree where the ultimate domestic responsibility lies, but you make my point for me. EU membership is not about helping us solve our real social needs, but it may impact socially and economically on our ability to do so. I think it is widely accepted that overall we are a net contributor rather than beneficiaries of the market and its freedom of movement, and that has had an impact on our finances. In time we can probably do better outside the EU.

To repeat 5% of our total GDP is because we are in the EU.

Post #501967  Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:44 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Trips to Germany, Belgium and Portugal in the EL group. Not bad. Glad we’ve avoided a journey to Kazakhstan or the like.

Better check your passport is up to date and you have the necessary visas.

Post #501968  Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:48 pm 

Decaf wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
I agree. If we are not careful the failure of Parliament to implement the result of something it asked the people to vote on will weaken Parliament itself.

Come again?
When Parliament asked the people to vote on the issue - and it did - and the people in huge numbers then made known their view - Parliament will lose credibility if it does not implement the vote.

Post #501969  Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

To repeat 5% of our total GDP is because we are in the EU.
Leaving the EU does not mean we cease trading with its members. It does mean we can trade with non-members on our, rather than EU terms. Swings and roundabouts. How high and fast the freer trade will go is not yet known, but trading there will be.

Post #501970  Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:11 pm 

Decaf wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Trips to Germany, Belgium and Portugal in the EL group. Not bad. Glad we’ve avoided a journey to Kazakhstan or the like.

Better check your passport is up to date and you have the necessary visas.

Yes, my passport is up to date, and if we actually do leave the EU at any point I'm sure I'll manage. As far as I know I'm not on Interpol's wanted list so I'm sure I'll be allowed in to spend my hard earned and do my bit to help the aforementioned neighbours' economies.

Post #501971  Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:13 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
DHD wrote:
Yes I agree where the ultimate domestic responsibility lies, but you make my point for me. EU membership is not about helping us solve our real social needs, but it may impact socially and economically on our ability to do so. I think it is widely accepted that overall we are a net contributor rather than beneficiaries of the market and its freedom of movement, and that has had an impact on our finances.

Even that is the fault of your politicians. You are going to get screwed over in trade deals outside the EU if you send the likes of Farage and Johnson to negotiate them.

Post #501972  Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:18 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Come again?
When Parliament asked the people to vote on the issue - and it did - and the people in huge numbers then made known their view - Parliament will lose credibility if it does not implement the vote.

So you don't acknowledge the primacy of Parliament when if comes to the details of Brexit? They must just rubber-stamp what the Tories come up with?

I am an outsider, so perhaps I am missing something.

Post #501973  Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:23 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Yes I like apples too, but I was talking about oranges!

" simply said it has in almost half a century made minimal positive impact on the key issues facing ordinary people in our country" = oranges.

What I said = oranges.

(in fact, your statement was so encompassing that its apples too, but I'll leave that).

Post #501974  Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:09 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
DHD wrote:

Sorry Old Man but I make no point at all in support of your notion that Europe has somehow failed the UK. Your arguments make no sense.

Post #501975  Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:37 pm 

Decaf wrote:

Your view that not implementing the referendum shakes democracy to the roots makes no sense to me.

The vote to leave won the day and now you have the crazies , looneys and " the think they know betters " out in force trying to force a reversal

... if they get their way ...... ..... that will galvanise the crazies , looneys and " think they know betters ' from the other side to start rabble rousing .

You can't see that is a danger to democracy ....... ? :icon_scratch:

Post #501976  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:12 am 

I know we still have a day before Spurs but I would be interested to know what others think about players & tactics for the game. Not sure I would play Xhaka( but think Emery will); would select Pépé but bring him on after 60 minutes; Lacazette & Aubameyang to start; I suppose we have no choice but to pick Luiz but I think he is problem. I want us to attacking & only occasionally play it out from the back but I think I will be whistling for that to happen & I expect Spurs to be shutting us down all the time. I am more than a little concerned with this game although Spurs are not playing all that well so we should be okay.

Post #501977  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:18 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Tell me exactly how being part of the EU has benefited ordinary people of the UK in terms of social housing, education, health and social equality, all of which have deteriorated in our years of EU membership.

Ok, youre so wrong on this it hurts. My son is doing a PHD at Bath University which is entirely funded by an EU grant, as are the vast majority of higher diplomas in this country. He is also 40k in debt because our own government, the ones we want to hand power back to, have made sure that further education now costs an absolute fortune. His degree cost 40k because thats the UK education system, his PHD has cost nothing because of the EU. In Germany his degree would have cost nothing because the German government recognise the importance of higher education for their population and the positive effect it will have on their future, and they have the ability to make independent decisions on who should pay for it. They are not bound by EU directives on this. My son is also not doing a PHD because his mum and dad are rich, powerful, or entitled. Hes clever.

Recently my wifes health deteriorated due to her ulcerative colitis. Last year she had the majority of her large intestine, colon, and rectum removed and just about fought off septicaemia and now lives with a stoma bag. Her operation was performed by a marvellous Italian surgeon on the NHS, and 90% of the nurses who cared for her during her 3 weeks in hospital were EU immigrants. Without the EU and the free movement of trade and people our NHS wouldnt exist and my wife might well be dead.

So both of my direct family members have had their lives positively enhanced by the EU.

Post #501978  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:32 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I know we still have a day before Spurs but I would be interested to know what others think about players & tactics for the game. Not sure I would play Xhaka( but think Emery will); would select Pépé but bring him on after 60 minutes; Lacazette & Aubameyang to start; I suppose we have no choice but to pick Luiz but I think he is problem. I want us to attacking & only occasionally play it out from the back but I think I will be whistling for that to happen & I expect Spurs to be shutting us down all the time. I am more than a little concerned with this game although Spurs are not playing all that well so we should be okay.

I would pick Luiz, and have him mark Kane. Give him lots of grief, but ask him not to be stupid with his hands around the box. We need the guile of Luiz to counter Kane and or Son.

Unfortunately Xhaka will start, because his size matters. He just needs to be faster with the ball. When will Emery start to get him to release the ball earlier?

Torreira is a starter for me. His tenacity is needed. Guendozi has become less effective in his role. He is becoming an "Elneny", abeit a notch higher.

Be brave and start all of Aubameyang, Lacazette and Pépé. Give Spurs something to worry about from the onset. Emery has to stop doubting his team and his players. Play these 3, and let them give Spurs little time to settle.

Talking of which, please play faster from the back. The slow-mo, many triangle passes at the back, is as irritating as the tippy-tappy from the past era. This facet of Emery's tactics is my current dislike of his style. It is not even effective, so why keep doing the same over and over?

Leno
AMN Sok Luiz Monreal
Torreira Xhaka
Pépé Ceballos Aubameyang
Lacazette

Post #501979  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:51 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I would pick Luiz, and have him mark Kane. Give him lots of grief, but ask him not to be stupid with his hands around the box. We need the guile of Luiz to counter Kane and or Son.

Unfortunately Xhaka will start, because his size matters. He just needs to be faster with the ball. When will Emery start to get him to release the ball earlier?

Torreira is a starter for me. His tenacity is needed. Guendozi has become less effective in his role. He is becoming an "Elneny", abeit a notch higher.

Be brave and start all of Aubameyang, Lacazette and Pépé. Give Spurs something to worry about from the onset. Emery has to stop doubting his team and his players. Play these 3, and let them give Spurs little time to settle.

Talking of which, please play faster from the back. The slow-mo, many triangle passes at the back, is as irritating as the tippy-tappy from the past era. This facet of Emery's tactics is my current dislike of his style. It is not even effective, so why keep doing the same over and over?

Leno
AMN Sok Luiz Monreal
Torreira Xhaka
Pépé Ceballos Aubameyang
Lacazette

I will be surprised if Emery has the courage to select all 3 up front. I would pick Lacazette with Pépé but I think Emery likes Aubameyang and he is the first on the sheet. I know one thing I still think our defence looks poor.

Post #501980  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:18 am 

DHD wrote:
I find the subject immensely depressing and sad.

In my view, the whole Brexit agenda has been foisted upon us by an elite group of very rich and influential toffs, many of whose ancestors came over on the boat with Willie the Conq. This thing has been brewing for years. These are people who don't need Europe - indeed they need for nothing. They have never experienced deprivation in any form and they have no fear whatever of 'consequences'. They thrive on uncertainty; it's an engine of prosperity for those in a position of financial strength who can take advantage of the opportunities a broken economy will offer. All they fear is transparency in the form of what they see as unwarranted governmental intrusion into their financial dealings and holdings, for which the EU has been pressing for some time now.

As TG says, by subtly moving the focus over a number of years onto immigration, foreigners, austerity and what they term as a non-elected legislature - as if they themselves have ever been elected - they have shaped the debate, convincing vast areas of this island nation that the old enemy - Europe - is at the bottom of all our problems. They have fanned the flames to the point where it's now a curious alliance of the wealthy, the elderly, the under-educated and the under-privileged (brutal but in essence, true) who now carry the fight.

Sadly, I don't think this thing can be stopped. More worryingly, I can't see how the UK can be mended.

Apologies if I offend anyone with this view.

Absolutely nail on the head DHD.

Anyone that thinks we are ruled by an unelected EU obviously has no clue about how the UK is ruled either.

The disaster capitalists and foreign govts are taking advantage of the ignorance of a large part of the UK population. They are laughing all the way to their tax havens, whilst also laughing at those who are (mainly in ignorance) voting for policies that effect this.

Its a very sad indictment of our education system.

People don't think or realise this sort of basic stuff:

Attachments:

Post #501981  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:25 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Come again?

But an almost equal amount of people (of those that voted), voted to remain. They also made their view known.

You make it sound as if it was a landslide, and it wasn't.

Post #501982  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:29 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Your view that not implementing the referendum shakes democracy to the roots makes no sense to me.

The vote to leave won the day and now you have the crazies , looneys and " the think they know betters " out in force trying to force a reversal

... if they get their way ...... ..... that will galvanise the crazies , looneys and " think they know betters ' from the other side to start rabble rousing .

So you think the stuff about Cambridge Analytica, Putin, Bannon, Banks and suspect donations should be just brushed aside? Really?

"A danger to democracy" - what, like having another vote on the final outcome in case people have actually changed their minds? Like people do every 3-5 years in an election? More voting isn't a danger to democracy is it.

Post #501983  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:33 am 

Good luck Nacho. You were a good professional for us.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49534587
Nacho Monreal: Arsenal defender joins Real Sociedad

Post #501984  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:53 am 

My final contribution on the EU debate for today at least.

Up until a few years ago, I would have been very indifferent to the thought of, or desire for, Welsh independence. I have been overall a relatively happy member of the status quo regarding the UK, albeit unhappy with the actions of some governments (Poll tax, Iraq, bedroom tax etc).

What I have seen over the past few years has brought to stark light the rottenness at the heart of Westminster:
the way our politicians seem to have been bought off (or are being blackmailed);
a PM who is on record as a liar, who has been recorded conspiring to assault a reporter;
cabinet ministers who say one thing today, the opposite tomorrow;
ministers like Patel voting on contracts having given paid advice to the company bidding for the contract;
constant lies not being challenged;
the ability of extremists like Farage to command the media spotlight, thanks to how our press is run; and the role of social media in manipulating public opinion has been frightening.

I have also come to believe that we are in the throes of the selling off of the UK, and that Brexit is simply a means to an end in the hands of those (like Rees Mogg) who in my opinion are conspiring against the UK. This time though, it won't be a possible invasion by tanks and troops that we will have to fight off. We might have have had a chance about that. No, it'll be a takeover by stealth of all our public assets, a process started some years ago but now coming to fruition.

Our NHS (which American health insurance companies are slavering over) will go, public services will be privatised and cut back to nothing, the least able in society will suffer, retirement age pushed ever upwards, and the financial divide between rich and poor will increase exponentially.

As Top Gun has mentioned, there are many people in Scotland now questioning their position viz a viz the UK, and Scottish independence is a real possibility. Wales doesn't get the same publicity as Scotland (for Wales, see England), but I can tell you that I am not alone in now considering Welsh independence as a preferable alternative to living in what the UK will become. People who 10 years ago would have laughed at the idea, are now beginning to wonder.

Brexit is nothing at all to do with the EU in reality, its simply a vehicle that has allowed tax dodging parasites to dictate political discourse and policy in this country.

And finally, to those who say it was the will of the people and those who voted remain should just shut up and get on with it:
a) that's not how true democracy works, people are allowed to change their minds (both ways)
b) Farage himself said that if the vote had been 52/48 the other way, he would have carried on campaigning.

Post #501985  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:58 am 

john1 wrote:

Up until a few years ago, I would have been very indifferent to the thought of, or desire for, Welsh independence. I have been overall a relatively happy member of the status quo regarding the UK, albeit unhappy with the actions of some governments (Poll tax, Iraq, bedroom tax etc).

As Top Gun has mentioned, there are many people in Scotland now questioning their position viz a viz the UK, and Scottish independence is a real possibility. Wales doesn't get the same publicity as Scotland (for Wales, see England), but I can tell you that I am not alone in now considering Welsh independence as a preferable alternative to living in what the UK will become. People who 10 years ago would have laughed at the idea, are now beginning to wonder.

good post john,

I firmly believe the biggest casualty around all of this is yet to come which is the eventual break up of our special union between the countries on our island.

When the Rees Moggs and Johnson said that achieving brexit was important than keeping the United Kingdom together that sends a message to me that fundamentally they only value the opinion of the English people and their own political careers. Just look how they have behaved over Ireland. They are an absolute disgrace and I can understand how working class scots can look at them and feel they have no connection to them.

Thats the problem with Brexit, the damage is never ending. It can go anywhere, absolutely anywhere

That said you sods in Wales can clear off if you think you are leaving!!! Unlike the scots you voted for Brexit too! you can sit with me and enjoy the inevitable misery that follows I'm not doing this on my own :laughing7:

Post #501986  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:29 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
john1 wrote:

good post john,

I firmly believe the biggest casualty around all of this is yet to come which is the eventual break up of our special union between the countries on our island.

When the Rees Moggs and Johnson said that achieving brexit was important than keeping the United Kingdom together that sends a message to me that fundamentally they only value the opinion of the English people and their own political careers. Just look how they have behaved over Ireland. They are an absolute disgrace and I can understand how working class scots can look at them and feel they have no connection to them.

Thats the problem with Brexit, the damage is never ending. It can go anywhere, absolutely anywhere

That said you sods in Wales can clear off if you think you are leaving!!! Unlike the scots you voted for Brexit too! you can sit with me and enjoy the inevitable misery that follows I'm not doing this on my own :laughing7:

:58big-emoticons:
As a point of info, and maybe of interest, polls have shown that Welsh born people voted approx 58% in favor of staying in the EU. Bear in mind that 20% of Wales’ population was born outside Wales (mainly England), and it is this vote that made Wales vote out.

(For the avoidance of doubt, I’m not advocating a curb on immigrstion into Wales! :icon_rabbit: )

Post #501987  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:36 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:

When you have Boris Johnson as PM who needs 'crazies , looneys and " think they know betters "' ... They are as redundant and the spaces you like to put before your commas.

The entire Brexit fiasco is the epitome of rabble rousing.

Post #501988  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:41 am 

john1 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

good post john,

:58big-emoticons:
As a point of info, and maybe of interest, polls have shown that Welsh born people voted approx 58% in favor of staying in the EU. Bear in mind that 20% of Wales’ population was born outside Wales (mainly England), and it is this vote that made Wales vote out

Really that’s quite interesting I never knew that.

You should never have allowed so many English in :laughing7: your infested, at breaking point, there must be no go areas around city centres full of English people milling around doing nothing :laughing7: there must be “no go” zones where it’s unsafe for locals to go because it’s full of English who haven’t integrated. I’m assuming all the English are taking the lower paid jobs too :laughing7:

Post #501989  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:42 am 

john1 wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

So you think the stuff about Cambridge Analytica, Putin, Bannon, Banks and suspect donations should be just brushed aside? Really?

"A danger to democracy" - what, like having another vote on the final outcome in case people have actually changed their minds? Like people do every 3-5 years in an election? More voting isn't a danger to democracy is it.

You aren't getting it, Top Gun. Democracy is a danger to democracy. We need autocrats like Putin, Trump, Bolsanaro, Orban ... and that spectacular pinnacle of statesmanship, Boris, to save it.

Post #501990  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:47 am 

Pompey Gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Tell me exactly how being part of the EU has benefited ordinary people of the UK in terms of social housing, education, health and social equality, all of which have deteriorated in our years of EU membership.

Ok, youre so wrong on this it hurts. My son is doing a PHD at Bath University which is entirely funded by an EU grant, as are the vast majority of higher diplomas in this country. He is also 40k in debt because our own government, the ones we want to hand power back to, have made sure that further education now costs an absolute fortune. His degree cost 40k because thats the UK education system, his PHD has cost nothing because of the EU. In Germany his degree would have cost nothing because the German government recognise the importance of higher education for their population and the positive effect it will have on their future, and they have the ability to make independent decisions on who should pay for it. They are not bound by EU directives on this. My son is also not doing a PHD because his mum and dad are rich, powerful, or entitled. Hes clever.

Recently my wifes health deteriorated due to her ulcerative colitis. Last year she had the majority of her large intestine, colon, and rectum removed and just about fought off septicaemia and now lives with a stoma bag. Her operation was performed by a marvellous Italian surgeon on the NHS, and 90% of the nurses who cared for her during her 3 weeks in hospital were EU immigrants. Without the EU and the free movement of trade and people our NHS wouldnt exist and my wife might well be dead.

So both of my direct family members have had their lives positively enhanced by the EU.

Great post. I hope your wife is recovering well, Pompey.

Post #501991  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:51 am 

john1 wrote:

What I have seen over the past few years has brought to stark light the rottenness at the heart of Westminster:
the way our politicians seem to have been bought off (or are being blackmailed);
a PM who is on record as a liar, who has been recorded conspiring to assault a reporter;
ministers like Patel voting on contracts having given paid advice to the company bidding for the contract;
the ability of extremists like Farage to command the media spotlight, thanks to how our press is run; and the role of social media in manipulating public opinion has been frightening.

I have also come to believe that we are in the throes of the selling off of the UK, and that Brexit is simply a means to an end in the hands of those (like Rees Mogg) who in my opinion are conspiring against the UK. This time though, it won't be a possible invasion by tanks and troops that we will have to fight off. We might have have had a chance about that. No, it'll be a takeover by stealth of all our public assets, a process started some years ago but now coming to fruition.

Our NHS (which American health insurance companies are slavering over) will go, public services will be privatised and cut back to nothing, the least able in society will suffer, retirement age pushed ever upwards, and the financial divide between rich and poor will increase exponentially.

Brexit is nothing at all to do with the EU in reality, its simply a vehicle that has allowed tax dodging parasites to dictate political discourse and policy in this country.

And finally, to those who say it was the will of the people and those who voted remain should just shut up and get on with it:
a) that's not how true democracy works, people are allowed to change their minds (both ways)
b) Farage himself said that if the vote had been 52/48 the other way, he would have carried on campaigning.

Spot on. :53big-emoticons:

Post #501992  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:51 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

I just can’t understand this at all. I just cannot see any sense in further depleting our already light on defence. Tierney will, according to the Arsenal site commence full training at the end of September. So I suppose Sead K will be drafted to play Monreals position. We should know tomorrow I suppose.

Post #501993  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:56 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I just can’t understand this at all. I just cannot see any sense in further depleting our already light on defence. Tierney will, according to the Arsenal site commence full training at the end of September. So I suppose Sead K will be drafted to play Monreals position. We should know tomorrow I suppose.

Agreed. Monreal is a real gem.

Post #501994  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:01 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

He’s going back to 3 centrals isn’t he.

Post #501995  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:38 pm 

john1 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Good thought process. I had dismissed it but you are probably correct. I will wait and see before I lose my *%^@ over this.

Post #501996  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:08 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
john1 wrote:

Good thought process. I had dismissed it but you are probably correct. I will wait and see before I lose my *%^@ over this.

The thing is we’re not inundated with central defenders either. If Mustafi won’t be considered, apart from Luiz, Sokratis and Holding (has he played any game since he’s been training) is there anyone else? If not, it’s surely a big risk to start Holding. Mavropanos looked really poor in his few games last season. Medley looked good but I can’t see him starting a Premier League North London derby already. Who else is there? Have I forgotten somebody?

My own guess is four at the back. AMN at right back and Kolasinac the left back, with Luiz and Sokratis in the centre. Holding on the bench. I could well be wrong but that’s how I see it.

Post #501997  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:12 pm 

john1 wrote:

- what, like having another vote on the final outcome in case people have actually changed their minds.

:laughing7: so Putin influenced Brexit as well as getting Trump elected ... busy man

.... and have another referendum because some may have changed their minds ...... seriously .

Post #501998  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:19 pm 

All the best Monreal

Post #501999  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:21 pm 

john1 wrote:

Good post ...you seem to know what you are talking about ...but how many referendums do think you should have before something is done ?

Post #502000  Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:24 pm 

United drop 2 points

Top4 is definitely on this year.

Please stop moaning and get behind the team. A point tomorrow would be a good result.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12547, 12548, 12549, 12550, 12551, 12552, 12553 ... 14269  Next